[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I sometimes consider travel but then I'm reminded that I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1
I sometimes consider travel but then I'm reminded that I don't like young travellers and their culture, they all seem insufferable and I would become one of them

Am I wrong about traveller culture?
>>
>>1053970
>traveller culture

Literally don't know what you're talking about.
>>
>>1053971
I mean the culture among young people who couchsurf and stay in hostels.
>>
>>1053972

Care to elaborate?
>>
>>1053970
So you don't like getting drunk and laid?
>>
>>1053970
>I sometimes consider travel but then I'm reminded that I don't like young travellers and their culture, they all seem insufferable and I would become one of them
>Am I wrong about traveller culture?

How do you really know about culture if you aren't even a traveler? Also, are you making impressions of people when you weren't actually once, EVER, a traveler with them and saw them in action? There's a kind of armchair living mentality that traveling actually kind of fixes. So, do it.

Are you a whore/freeloader/no education fool? If so, then you'll travel on a dime without regard for your safety, or knowledge about alcohol binge behavior and you'll live it up and maybe fall victim to something or other. Or, you'll travel with intelligent street smart people, and you'll keep your expenses low, but by day you'll take in every conceivable cultural sights famous for arts and sciences, ooh and ahh, and absorb things that validate your educational exposure and builds a great time. You won't fall victim to anything bad if you are a normal complete person who is well adjusted.
>>
>>1053970
You just travel with your m8s and do stuff you like m8. Why do you care what other people do?
>>
>>1053999
He seems like he probably would but is too scared to travel because hes a wet blanket that no one would want to drink with or fuck.
>>
It's really easy to not be part of that culture if you don't want to be. I stay in hostels and I've never had to deal with the sort of bro-dude party all night, not wearing a shirt, nipple and eye brow piercing crowd. Most of the people I met in the hostels I stayed in were quite intelligent and just wanted to stay in hostels cause it saves money and makes it easy to meet people. On my last trip I met 2 folks with masters degrees and a guy in his 30s with a PhD who just spent a year doing research in Alaska. Made me kinda feel stupid as I don't plan on getting my masters until I'm in my mid-to-late 30s.

When you're booking hostels you can easily tell what kind of place it is by the photos and reviews. The party hostels will very quickly become apparent and you can just you know, not stay in them...

And if you're really full out autistic and worried about this, pick your destinations wisely. Instead of going to Cancun or Playa del Carmen, go to Merida or San Cristobal. Instead of Bali go to Yogyakarta. Instead of Phuket go to Chiang Mai. Well, basically don't go to beach towns, go to mountainous regions.
>>
>>1053970
>>1053972
You sounds young and so inexperienced that you think all "travlers" from all countries have a common "culture". If that's what you're worried about and you haven't realized you should do things how you want to do them, you're too immature to get out there anyway.
>>
OP is fag.
>>
>>1053972
You have a problem with people sitting in hostels and playing cards while they swap travel stories and recommendations?

Or you dislike the fact people go to hostels and meet other people to go do things with?
>>
>>1054001

>How do you really know about culture if you aren't even a traveler? Also, are you making impressions of people when you weren't actually once, EVER, a traveler with them and saw them in action? There's a kind of armchair living mentality that traveling actually kind of fixes. So, do it.

I travelled around with my family when I was younger and I also live in a major city which lots of young travellers visit

I'm familiar with the young traveller type and their subculture

>You won't fall victim to anything bad if you are a normal complete person who is well adjusted.

I might be underwhelmed and bored, only being able to travel around this rocky planet. Not much to see that you can't in a documentary or photograph. That's what I'm afraid of most, being bored by travelling and doing the same cliched things everyone else does

>>1053999
I can drink and try to get laid anywhere with bars and clubs, the people in that scene are annoying as fuck too

I'm female, so fellow travellers will want to fuck beautiful exotic women not an average/plain looking fellow traveller, or else they wouldn't have bothered to travel all that way

>>1054058
The intellectual traveller crowd don't sound so great either

>>1054074
I've already been out there, and I've seen these people

>>1054110

>You have a problem with people sitting in hostels and playing cards while they swap travel stories and recommendations?

>Or you dislike the fact people go to hostels and meet other people to go do things with?

I suppose. I guess those kinds of people either repel me or don't interest me

The kind of people who want to travel tend to be a type
>>
>>1054356
You have not seen anything if you think all travellers are the same, they do not have a 'subculture' either. All sorts of people travel for all sorts of reasons. And if you had actually travelled you would also know its not the same as looking at photos.

You just sound like an asshole, nobody else would actually have a problem with people who have a desire to travel or assume they all fit a 'type'.
>>
>>1054379
I've been to various places in Europe and North Africa, nature documentaries got rid of any excitement or awe I might have felt

Maybe that's me

I know enough about the young travellers who come through this city to know that they are part of a community and have a subculture of their own, same with expats etc etc
>>
>>1054356
Wait, so you have an issue with pretty much all travelers? What sort of people do you like? These days everyone travels so it's kinda difficult to find a specific segment of the population that you fit in with that doesn't travel at all.
>>
>>1054385
You seem like an awful person to spend time with.
>>
>>1054411
>What sort of people do you like?

I don't know, I guess fully formed people who aren't having an existential crisis? Unlike most of the travellers I've met.

I guess they're travelling to find themselves. And doing it by looking at nature and partying and looking at art.

It's all been done before, and with a lot more verve and style.
>>
>>1054413
What makes you say that
>>
>>1054425

>I don't know, I guess fully formed people who aren't having an existential crisis? Unlike most of the travellers I've met.

tbf I actually know exactly what you are talking about. I don't think all travelers necessarily fall into this category though, but it does account for a lot of people you meet in hostels. I think most people grow out of it eventually, but those aren't the people you meet backpacking in Europe.
>>
>>1054425
I don't travel to find myself and I don't think most people do that. I travel because the world is beautiful and I want to see it all before this miserable existence of mine is over. I don't really romanticize my travels. I just love going out there and seeing new things. I haven't found myself anywhere, both in my travels and back home so there's that.

Actually, I've yet to find a traveler who has really romanticized their travels the way you think all those facebook douchebags do. Most people just want to have a good time and look at interesting things in different parts of the world that they wouldn't see back home. Eat good local food, drink the local drink, some want to fuck the local cunt/dick. That whole "going to find myself" thing you read on facebook is just click bait for blogs or people who want more facebook likes. No one acts like that in real life.
>>
>>1054385
>I've been to various places in Europe and North Africa, nature documentaries got rid of any excitement or awe I might have felt

That is entirely on you, normal people do not work this way. TV is not even slightly comparable to actually being in a jungle or seeing a ruined city with your own eyes.

>>1054425
>I don't know, I guess fully formed people who aren't having an existential crisis?

So most 'travellers' well done. Believe it or not but the vast majority of people do not travel for this reason.
>>
>>1054425
I think you have a skewed view. I've been traveling full time for about half a year, and I've really only met one person like that, so less than 1%. It's a loud minority.
>>
Sorry OP, you sound like a giant cock. You have literally no idea what the majority of travellers are like - you just focus on the loud and annoying ones because they are the most noticeable. But with your air of arrogance and self-satisfaction I doubt anybody would want to hang out with you, so you'd best stay at home.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.