[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Kansas
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 10
File: kansas.jpg (30 KB, 473x355) Image search: [Google]
kansas.jpg
30 KB, 473x355
Hey all, British guy here. I've been "privileged" enough to visit Kansas a number of times as my wife is from this wonderful state. I shall be returning in September 2016.

It hardly seems like the most exotic place to visit, but this is my big vacation and damn it, I'm determined to enjoy it. Last time I was out there we had a fun time exploring ghost towns and abandoned settlements in the east of the state. That was - genuinely - fun.

I will be based in the city of Manhattan during my stay, but will also be spending some time in Kansas City (I know, I know, most of it is in Missouri). I'll have access to a car and I like driving, so I can get out and about. I say "I like driving" - the trip between Denver and Manhattan had to be one of the dullest I've ever endured, one that barely required the slightest tilt of the steering wheel for hundreds of miles.

I haven't seen a huge amount of Kansas City (though I have had drinks in an Overland Park bar owned by Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley), and I really liked the day I spent in Lawrence last time out.

So recommend me things to do, big or small, cultural or historical, things to eat - whatever. I'm open to most things. Help me to uncover the charms of Kansas, home of Dwight D Eisenhower, Amelia Earhart and Elvira, Mistress of the Night!
>>
>>1051684
you could get sucked up into a tornado
>>
KS fag here what exactly do you want to know?

I pass through a few small towns on my way to college twice a week. Have you been to Council Grove or El Dorado? Both towns have great historic districts and nice big lakes close by for outdoor fun. Have you been to Junction City? It's close to Manhattan and has a cool downtown. Also there is a state park just north of Manhattan called Tuttle Lake. Big ass lake with a cool dam and nice forest and parks surrounding it.
>>
>>1051714
Also have you been to Kansas City before? I go there quite a lot during the summer and can recommend stuff if you want.

My I live on a 20 acre cattle ranch 45 mins outside Topeka, if you haven't been there before I would recommend it too. The state capitol building is beautiful inside and out.
>>
>>1051684
Branson, MO close? Could take in a show.
>>
>>1051716
I have been to Kansas City, but didn't spend a huge amount of time there on my own. I was mainly there for a wedding. Didn't get to try any BBQ (so where should I go?), nor did I get to go round the Harley Davidson factory (is it worth it?)

Have been to neither Council Grove or El Dorado, so thanks. I have been to Tuttle Creek, it's a rather nice place. I have heard of Junction City but people in Manhattan are pretty snobby about it. My wife says it's a hell hole!

Any unique or renowned drinking spots would be welcomed too. I'm British, so I basically live off alcohol and rain.
>>
Hey OP, I was raised in Manhattan and still live there. So down town we have Aggieville for the bar scene. Manhattan doesnt have too much but like someone said there is Tuttle Creek that is pretty cool. Also we have Pillsburry crossing that is fun to go see. We also have a new zipline that was made this year that is close to pillsburry crossing. Manhattan is a college town so you have aggieville for bars so Annie Mayes is a good bar to go to because it is laid back but we have some crazier ones also(kites).
As far as food what do you like? I have been here for 18 years so I pretty much know everything about the place. Seeing the campus is ok but if you like creepy things we have the steam tunnels under KSU. Let me think about some more things and let me know what food you like.
>>
If you are into shooting guns we have plenty of them here. Fort Riley is a military base close to manhattan so it is pretty cool to go see and it isnt too strict on getting in. There is also the scenic overlook. If you are flying into MCI and driving to Manhattan on your way off of I-70 (exit 313) to Manhattan that is also on your way. We have the Kanza prairie. If you like parachuting KSU has a parachuting club that you can do for around 180 USD.
>>
I have to agree about Junction City being terrible except for the korea food and the movie theatre that has reclining chairs. As far as other drinking places go there is the Tap House Brewery off a road called Poyntz that is close to the mall and the Discovery center which is kind cool. We also have Little Apple Brewery that has good beer and food. as far as bbq goes in Manhattan we have Famous Daves, Cox Bros, Texas Roadhouse, and a few others but other cities have better.
>>
>>1051733
>>1051716 >>1051714 here
Here is a list of things to do in KC that I like to do from time to time
>Liberty Memorial (pic related is actually taken from the memorial observation area, best view in KC hands down).
>WW1 Museum at the Liberty Memorial is great is a world class museum IMHO.
>Nelson Atkins art museum is pretty good, and best part is it's FREE.
>The Country club plaza is the best place for shopping in KC, decent nightlife.
>18th and Vine historical district for some good Jazz clubs if you're into that
>Westport has the best nightlife in KC with great bars. Make sure you drink the local craft beer "Boulevard" anywhere worthwhile in KC should have it on tap.
>Many people in KC argue who has the best bar-b-que, IMO the best bbq in KC is "KC Joes" and many locals would back me up on this. Arthur Bryants is also another local great and many big-shots go here to eat when they're in town (Obama ate here when he visited a few years ago).
>The River Market is just north of downtown and has a lot of international vendors including the Steamboat of Arabia museum which houses the largest collection of pre-civil war artifacts in America, been here, neat museum it's just a little pricey.
>Union station (you can see it clearly in pic related) has been turned into a museum for the most part, it has a beautiful neo-classical exterior and the interior is great as well. Some decent stuff in here for kids if you have them.
>Crown Center has some decent shopping and an aquarium, located across the street from Union station.
>The town hall building (the tallest in America iirc) lets in visitors for a few hours everyday to the observation deck, entry is fee but hours can be a bit odd. Great views
>The Royals should be still be playing in September. Kauffmen stadium is great and they just won the world series a month ago so everyone in town is still going to be coming off that high. Beware though, if they Royals are in playoff contention the tics may be quite high
>>
File: KC.jpg (680 KB, 1634x839) Image search: [Google]
KC.jpg
680 KB, 1634x839
>>1051772
Forgot to include pic

Also KC Zoo is pretty good too.

By the time you get here the downtown streetcar project should be done so I would recommend parking your car at Union Station or the Liberty Memorial Park and you can ride the streetcar into downtown and the River market and explore downtown KC, it's pretty neat to walk around lunchtime when all the business people are out and about.
>>
File: 14statecapitol14.jpg (78 KB, 900x500) Image search: [Google]
14statecapitol14.jpg
78 KB, 900x500
>>1051772
>>1051774
Also pls visit Topeka
Our city government is broke
>>
lol Topeka, JC, and witchita suck
>>
>>1051785
Can confirm on Wichita. Moved here a few months ago, it's dull.
>>
in KC you have Westport, the old school bar district, Power and light is the new clubbing district, but it's crazy expensive and just a bunch of meat markets really.. for a good time Martini Corner with Budda bar and velvet dog etc is THE hep place to hit.. BBQ BBQ BBQ.. and of course some jazz shows, they are everywhere Nelson Atkins is a top notch art museum... depends on what you're into I guess, in the winter first Fridays are done but there's the opera house plenty of live theater etc... and of course some "pretty little women"... everything's up to date in Kansas City..
>>
>>1051772
Confirmed, Joes is IMHO the best.. The lines are ALWAYS out the door around the lot, even in the rain.
>>
File: MGTOW.jpg (16 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
MGTOW.jpg
16 KB, 400x400
OP do you find its worse getting cu'cked by american women than british?
>>
Kc sucks take the 4 hour drive to St. Louis for a good time
>>
>>1051923
SOULARD
O
U
L
A
R
D
>>
>>1051761
I've actually done pretty much everything in your post, as the Little Apple is my wife's hometown. About the only thing I haven't done is Tuttle Creek.

Let's face facts, Aggieville is full of idiots. I've been out there a few times and have found myself confronted with a bunch of red-faced brosefs who can't handle their booze. Annie Mae's was much better.

>>1051900
Excellent, really enjoying the jazz show and art museum suggestions. Am I right in thinking there's a good venue called the Blue Room?

>>1051907
Fair play lad. Who's to say? In any case, I've always steered clear of British women due to their teeth, their accents and the possibility they support the wrong soccer team.
>>
Kansas City Panty Drop
>>
Wichita here....

though you have to go to a sporting game.
>>
File: plate.png (1 MB, 1061x720) Image search: [Google]
plate.png
1 MB, 1061x720
>>1051684
>Last time I was out there we had a fun time exploring ghost towns and abandoned settlements in the east of the state.

If you can have fun doing that, then you have to go to Lucas, KS. Visit the Grassroots Art Center (they also have a house a couple blocks away with weird shit, too) and especially visit Dinsmoor's House aka Garden of Eden and take the tour (see his mummified body, yay!). There are other folk art installations spread through the town and surrounding area that you can look up and go to. Driving about randomly in the country one time, I came across a 10ft metal dragon chilling in a field, so, the folk arts culture is pervasive in the area. Lucas is about 2 hours west of Manhattan, and take the back roads and single-lane highways for sure. In fact, the Post Rock Scenic Byway is right by Lucas, and there are other very pretty designated scenic roads you should look up.

>plate related
>>
File: twine.png (784 KB, 720x652) Image search: [Google]
twine.png
784 KB, 720x652
>>1051990
And if you end up near Cawker City, then giant ball of twine! Oh man, Kansas, you're a hoot!
>>
>>1051684
for the love of god eat the bbq.
best bbq in the world.
>>
>>1051923
OP said he wanted to have a good time, not get shot.
>>
File: 01.jpg (222 KB, 1748x746) Image search: [Google]
01.jpg
222 KB, 1748x746
>>1051980
the blue room is down on Vine, yeah classic jazz, you can also check out the Levee, but if you want a great rockabilly venue try Knuckleheads
>>
>>1051684
>Manhattan
Yuck, go Lawrence.
>>
>>1051733
The Woodyard is the best BBQ place in Kansas City. Gates is also good.
>>
>>1052064
yeah, i just moved to lawrence from arizona. its really a great little town when you get to know it. everyone ive met loves it and is very proud to live here. massachusetts street usually has something interesting, and check out the music venues: granada theatre, liberty hall and bottleneck often have some great shows with somewhat well known bands. i dunno, to me lawrence doesnt seem like such a touristy place but .. its great living here, nice interesting people, generally just a cool unique little town. probably the most worthwhile place in kansas. kansas city is fucking badass. to me, anything i do is enjoyable in that city just because of the feeling and atmosphere i get, very special. that may be in part because i grew up there, but.. i think it has a lot to offer to mostly everyone. nelson atkins art museum, liberty memorial, union station, crown center, the plaza, westport, 18th & vine historic district, some popular kc bbq: gates, jack stack, joes, arthur bryants. the west bottoms is an interesting place too, if youre into seeing some industrial sort of run down shit. i think its awesome. since youre into alcohol, maybe check out the boulevard brewing company. ive never been, but its something to look into. loose park is a very beloved park, not sure how its looking this time of year but probably still cool.i hope maybe you can take something positive from this post. : )
>>
Al's chickenette
>>
>>1052076
I think it's important people know the difference between the Arthur Bryant's barbeque places.
The original one looks old and shitty but has good food.
The new one located in the shopping sprawl called "The Legends" looks bright and shinny but has bad food.
Neither would be my first pick for barbecue though.
>>
>>1051714
>Junction City
Ah Junk Town! It's full of military types and drug addicts.
>>
>>1051684
How do I find these ghost towns?
>>
>>1052746
That's what I am wondering. There isn't a ton of info on them.
>>
>>1052749
>>1052746
Ask a ghost
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.