[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Americans why do you ask how someone is doing if you dont really care?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 2
File: allg.jpg (59 KB, 620x413) Image search: [Google]
allg.jpg
59 KB, 620x413
Americans why do you ask how someone is doing if you dont really care?
>>
>>1050297
>Why is a culture derived from forced ass kissing and glib customer service so shit?
Because it is.

"How are you?" ≠ "Hello" know the difference
>>
>>1050297
Well if someone says they're doing good then yeah, end of greeting. If they say "not well" or anything like that then it works as a way to push past formalities and address any issue the person has or, if you're both friendly, dive straight into conversation.
>>
>>1050313
This exactly. Most of us do care. The ones that don't are usually really cynical about small talk.

What does the rest of the planet usually say after "hello" when they don't have any pressing matters at hand?
>>
>>1050313
just say hi
>>
>>1050297

Because greetings are intended to be polite/show good intentions and are therefore ritualized in most languages/cultures? Do you really think when a Spanish person (for example) wishes you "Buenos días" he really gives a shit whether or not you have a good morning?

>>1050300
>a culture derived from forced ass kissing

Actually the culture is derived from quite the opposite (hence the prevalence of hand shaking, for example), but I'll spare you any explanation as you're obviously far too stupid to understand.

>>glib customer service

The horror. The horror. The last thing customers should expect (especially in whatever shithole you derive from) is service.
>>
>>1050324
So much butthurt here.
>>
File: europoors.jpg (23 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
europoors.jpg
23 KB, 320x320
>>1050331
>I am stupid and have nothing to say, so I'll project my own insecurities.
>>
In Ireland we ask it without expecting you to tell us, it's just another way of saying hello
>>
>>1050337
You should stop doing that.
>>
>>1050297
It's not an American thing, most Anglo countries do that.
>>
>>1050343
This. In my language there isn't even a word for, "Hello," Just, "How's it going?" Of course some people just say hi to sound western anyways.
>>
>>1050343
I think this is an answer that most American's can agree with...

For me however, being surrounded by foreigners means I rarely ask that question unless I want an extended answer.
>>
Straya: "Howzigoin mate?" "yeah alright mate"
>>
>>1050373
What is your language?
>>
I care. It's why I ask.

Fuck your assumptions.
>>
>>1050373
what language is that?
>>
>>1050407
I'm not that guy, but in Thailand ypu are usually greeted with "Sai Bai dee may" Which basically translates to "Are you good"
>>
>>1050297
because most americans live in this synthetic, strip mall wasteland which is fake and gay at its very core. They just reflect that fake and gayness by being fake and gay.
always the most antisocial people when they are abroad.
total contempt for locals, do not speak with them, when they meet other americans they are weirded out.
the only cool americans ive met are rich.
>>
In the rural midwest (where I live), it's pretty genuine. If you ask someone how they are, often times you truly mean it.
>>
>>1050407
i know ni hao in chinese is literally "you good"
>>
>>1050412
>>1050515
So why is everyone shitting on Americans and not Asians?
>>
>>1050520
Asians are less likely to get butthurt so it's not as fun. Google "saving face"
>>
>>1050447
>the only cool americans ive met
LOL, in your fantasies as it must be years since you've left your mother's basement.

>>1050520
>So why is everyone shitting on Americans and not Asians?
It's the trendy thing for Eurolards to do. Criticizing Asians goes against their indoctrination, so the only thing they can do with the giant chips on their shoulders is go after the US.
>>
>>1050540
> implying OP is European
>>
>>1050297
>americans
many cultures do this, it's almost universal

in anglo countries it is a show of goodwill, typically when asked you say that you are doing well out of politeness, but depending on the possition of the other person and how well you know them, hinting that you are having some difficulty is not impolite

"how are you?"
"good, trying to move this rock"
"do you want a hand?"

"how are you?"
"good, trying to move this rock"
"good luck, I have to get home and move my own rock"

it can be rude if you ask for assistance too earnestly, or ask someone who is just being friendly and/or you don't know well

sometimes it's also used by someone in a position of responsibility to inquire politely if assistance is required, so as not to offend someone by presuming they are having trouble, often in sensitive situations, like when someone is disabled, elderly, or a strong man is having trouble with something
>>
>>1050447

This. How did you know?
>>
You know Brits do this, too, right?

"You alright?" Is basically the go-to greeting for lots of them.
>>
How can two strangers create goodwill and establish peace
>>
>>1050832
Remain strangers. Good fences make good neighbors
>>
>>1051922
An interesting phrase taken from a poem by Robert Frost which was written to argue against the idea that "good fences make good neighbors."
>>
>>1050313
This is something I've noticed when I've been talking to english talking people. The language allows for a lot of opportunities to open up and talk about stuff that weigh you down, which is something awesome in my opinion.

My native language doesn't work that way, it's cold and formal, you can't just casually ask someone how they're doing in the same way as you would in english.
>>
>>1050297
Brits, Dutch and Ex-Yugo's do it too.
>>
>>1051950
Are you German?
>>
>>1051996
Close, I'm Swedish.
We are often perceived as cold and quiet by people from other countries and I can understand that considering how our language works, many of us can translate and speak English very well but we're still "thinking" in our own.
I've just recently started to understand this while working with a kiwi. I was genuinely impressed by how easily he could read me, he'd ask me why I was being so quiet or if I was being depressed, also the way he opened up to me, I just found it all really heart warming, hell not even my mother would talk to me that way even though I know there's no one who loves me more.
>>
>>1052088
Husband's parents were German, he never once saw his parents express affection between each other. It was all very private and closed doors. Not a single hug/kiss greeting when coming home from a trip or anything like that.
>>
how is this not a common thing? in the UK we say "alright" or some variation when saying hello
we don't really care how the person is, it's just another way of greeting
>>
>>1051996
in German it's a pretty normal way to greet each other by asking how you are, and it is actually normal to respond sincerely.
>>
This thread is literally 100% >>>/int/
>>
>>1050447
i have to disagree here
i've meet some american here, in slovenia of all places, and they were always very nice, asked how's it going, asked what they can see here in my town and were always ready to have some small talk
the most memorable group was of 3 american males in their 50ies, were nice AF, nicer than most of people that i know here
even got to know where they are form, where they are going, how they end up in this forgotten town, was an awesome chat
it really felt great that they had the courtesy of taking their time being half way round the world and still chat with a random guy, granted they approached me first with a question.
>>
>>1050297
Literally most countries do this. You are Scsndi, aren't you?
>>
>>1050324
Seriously. OK, 'customer service mentality' gets carried away to extremes sometimes in North America (Walmart greeters, or over-attentive clerks in trendy clothing stores pestering you every 2 minutes "if y'all are finding everything you need OK?").

But just try living in a country where they give absolutely no fucking shit whatsoever about you, who is spending your money in their company/service/shop/etc. I've lived in Germany for a while, and service here is often (not always, but often) such lacklustre shit. You get used to it, but it's still shitty. I always tell German friends that businesses here would implode within a month due to such horrible ways of treating their own customers. "Hurr durr, capitalist America, tips and low wages!" they reply, but no, it's not just that. Most people do actually genuinely care if you're satisfied after spending your money on their business...
>>
>>1052140
Lol, no. You only greet people you ALREADY know that way. Strangers do not greet each other, they try to ignore each other as much as possible. If they do it's in a cold and formal way. Even with people you already know, you have to know them very well for a long time before they'd give an answer 'from the heart'.
>>
>>1054550
>scandinavian
>>
To me, "how are you doing" is the equivalent of "what's up". I don't actually want to know how you're feeling deep down or anything, I'm not your fucking therapist.
>>
>>1050320
"Hi"
"Hi, my wife's been distant recently"

Person 2 might be inclined to not open up and put negativity into the conversation since "Hi" is generally a pretty positive statement.

"How are you?"
"Not to well, my wife's been..."

In this situation the phrase "How are you" has the capability to go either way and allows for more open discussion.

I'm not an expert though so take this with a grain of salt.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.