[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Middle East safety thread. Next summer I want to go to Egypt,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4
Middle East safety thread.

Next summer I want to go to Egypt, Israel, Jordan and Lebanon. Anyone been to any of these countries? How safe did you feel? I was planning on travelling by bus from Egypt to Israel but after the plane going down in the Sinai peninsuila it has made me think I am going to start in Egypt, fly to Jordan, then go overland to Israel, then back to Jordan to fly to Lebanon. I am aware the situation can change quickly. I am thinking I may as well go now because for all we know the whole region could turn into another Syria, and then I would not be able to go for decades. Thoughts /trv/? Is it very dangerous?

Pic Related Beirut Rooftop
>>
>>1049907
So you were going to take a bus between Israel and Egypt until the plane bombing, and now you're going to take a plane instead?
>>
>>1049919
Well it made me assume that there are terrorists operating at points in the Sinai peninsuila. Fliying over it only takes an hour, driving through it takes like 8. More chance of encountering said terrorists.
>>
>>1049907
There are, unadvertised but public flights from Cairo direct to Tel Aviv, run by a subsidiary of Air Egypt. They really are secret, to the extent of not having their destination displayed on the screens at Cairo airport, thanks to Arab and Muslim stupidity, so you may have to find a good travel agent to sell you tickets, but it should be possible.
>>
>>1049935
I was just gonna to Cairo to Amman, then go overland to Israel. Thanks for the tip though. Have you been to Israel? I have heard from the foriegn office that the public transport in Tel-Aviv and Jeruslum is dangerous. Any truth to this?
>>
>>1049937
Not that guy, but I've been to both cities and never felt unsafe. Never took public transport, but walked most of the time - especially in Jerusalem.
>>
>>1049907
Hey op. Just last summer ('14) i went with a buddy that speaks arabic to isreal (tel aviv to jerusalem), overland into jordan (amman and petra), flew to lebanon (beirut), and then flew to cairo before i went home. (I was solo for a 24 hr layover in dubai as well)

Of course being with my americanized paki friend that was born in UAE made things quite easy for me. But anyway we really didnt encounter any safety issues other than in lebanon there was a suicide bombing in a hotel 10 minute walkingg from where we were staying (no one other than the terrorist died).

On going to egypt from israel: it was our original plan to use bus from israel to cairo, but we were informed that there were no longer busses that did that route. If we wanted to still go, we had to hire a private van with no security to take us. After hearing about sinai, i convinced my friend that wouldnt be a very good idea and we bought last minute cheap flights via jordan and lebanon.

Overall an amazing trip and the middle esst is so fucking different and interesting, i highly reccomend that you go.

If you have any specific questions you are welcome to ask.
>>
>>1049940
What did you hear about Sinai? That it was dangerous?

What sites do you recommend checking out? Did you visit any Christian religious sites? Thats one of the reasons I want to go on this trip
>>
>>1049907

Lebanon is quite dangerous, like you can travel there safely if you go to only certain destinations, but parts have loads of war spillover and certain cities are always on the verge of civil war (Tripoli being best example).

Chances are you wont go to those places anyway, so its probably no big deal, but there are quite a few dangers, though Lebanon overall is quite a nice place.
>>
>>1049907
I want to go to Egypt and or Israel next winter.

I always travel alone but might try to find a cheap group tour this time. To be honest I think the tour might actually be more dangerous as a loud chatty group draws attention but it will put my parents at ease. They worry about everything, and have never left the state so maybe it'll put their minds at ease.

I feel like I need to visit these places soon, doesn't look like the situation will be improving for quite some time. It will only get worse.
>>
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2015/11/09/455313442/2-americans-among-the-dead-in-attack-at-police-training-center-in-jordan
>>
>>1050228
Shit happens
>>
>>1050228
Queen of Jordan is hot as fuck
>>
>>1050305
You should see the queen of Morocco.
>>
>>1050307
Well that was a dissapointing google search
>>
>>1050307
I have it on good authority the King of Morocco vacays in Phuket and has what appears to be underaged girls brought to his room. I think this was before he got married, though.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>1049951
Hey sorry been busy, but im
>>1049940

What i heard about sinai was that it was known as the part of egypt with active terrorist/rebel groups operating. An unprotected van ride 8 hours through open desert seemed like a sitting duck kind of situation, and i really didnt want to take that risk.

About the christian sites, it wasnt really a main goal of the trip, but having been raised lutheran, jerusalem did have a noticeable effect on me. The holy sepulcher was incredible, there is like a slab of rock there from the tomb of jesus christ and you can like kneel on it and pray or whatever. There are also real tombs there that you can go in that would have been the same as the one jesus was buried in. Also seeing places like "birthplace of the virgin mary" was pretty cool, but i have no idea if it was legit or not. Lots of other dope churches as well, of various denominations. I was seriously surprised at how being in jerusalem made me feel, as i havent gone to church in probably 15 years. Just go up to a high place in jerusalem and check it out and imagine everything thats happened there that youve learned in church/from the bible and you will think its really cool i believe.
>>
>>1050452
Everyone does this, but they have to go out and find them, because they can't afford to have girls hand delivered to their rooms.
>>
File: mapMidEast[1].jpg (102 KB, 780x584) Image search: [Google]
mapMidEast[1].jpg
102 KB, 780x584
>>1050504
As US military, Egypt is one of the countries I am banned from traveling to. Much of the MENA/CENTCOM is actually open for leisure travel to US federal workers, but Egypt is one of the few exceptions. CENTCOM map attached. It's actually easier to get travel approved for ME than Thailand, and much of SEA, with the exception of the aforementioned banned countries like Egypt.
>>
>>1050307
Fire bush
>>
Went to Lebanon last summer and stayed for 9 days in a hotel. The experience was fun and enjoyable. The only downside was the language barrier. I had to play charades with one of my taxi drivers. I'm planning on returning soon, hopefully next summer. Avoid Tripoli by all means and try to stay near thet tourist locations.
>>
>>1050504
Sounds amazing OP. Also nice pic
.>>1050305
She is a beauty
>>1049973
I know what you mean OP. After those Mexicans being killed in Egypt, the Sinai airplane crash, attacks in Paris, police shootout in Jordan and the bomb in Lebanon my father really doesn't want me to go.
At the end of the day it would be my own money etc, but I don't want my parents to be sick with worry regardless.
>>
Stayed in Taba, Egypt on the Sinai and travelled upto to Eilat, Israel which is a nice place.

Shouldn't have issues in these areas but the same was said about Sharm El Sheik
>>
Yea I went from Eilat to Taba and had an 8 hour bus ride to Cairo. They had security with us but I always felt safe. On my way back to Israel from Cairo I just took a public bus, There was a lot of military checkpoints where everyone gets off but it is safe for the most part.
>>
>>1049907

Why not just go somewhere that isn't full of dangerous assholes that want to murder you?
>>
>>1052008
>but I don't want my parents to be sick with worry regardless.

I had no choice because my parents are Xenophobic. Mom has never left the state and Dad hasn't in 15 years. So it was either just ignore them or wait 40 years. Egypt was the first place I wanted to visit but I ended up going just about everywhere else first. Now I find that I still want to go and I'm going to tell them to just deal with it.
>>
>>1052572
Because we're not all like that. Sure it might be a risk, but how about you check it out for yourself instead of watching FOX news everyday?
>>
>>1052814
He's kinda got a point. I can't imagine anyone chickening out of a trip to France ooh la la
and a bomb exploded there
>>
hahaha as a soldier you get banned from countries? Must suck getting shit pay and you cant even go where you like. You fuckers can promote and cause terrorism but you cant go to egypt lol
>>
You are an Idiot. Probably from America? Yea look at how dangerous America is compared to other places. Maybe homicide rates per 100k
>>
>>1053499
I'm vacationing in a GCC next week, leave approved, I have theater and country clearance, I already bought my ticket, but now they want to scrutinize it because of Paris.

Side note, these restrictions apply to all federal employees, not just military. You need theater and country clearance, and some countries or area of countries, you are outright banned from.
>>
>>1053505
One clarification, that's federal DOD civilians and contractors, not all Federal. The site with the FCG can't be accessed from a non gov/mil computer, but here's a blog talking about it, in reference to Africa. https://civiliancontractors.wordpress.com/tag/foreign-clearance-guide/
>>
Hey OP,
Jew here.

Don't know whats the forecast for Jordan and Syria, but you can feel pretty safe here in Israel. Yes, we do have some knifing problem atm, but they are isolated pretty quickly and won't bother you as you are not the target.
If any major conflict will arise, I can tell you that not only that you'll be very safe in the Tel Aviv area(living in the area since 1999), the view of rockets being intercepted mid-air is pretty awesome.

(Israel is probably the only country in the world where you have a mobile app that tells you where rockets are planned to fall)

Got more specific questions about traveling to Israel?
>>
Which other countries are Fed workers not allowed to travel to?

North Korea, Iran, Cuba, Turkmenistan?
>>
>>1053530
I can't look at the website now, since, I'm home. The FCG gets updated all the time with different reaquirements and training for arious countries and such. Also travel can be banned or severely tightened momentarily. I know France is banned at the moment, Thailand was immediately following their bombing, and then opened back up with a lot of pre requisite training and warnings, also Southern Thailand is banned. I'm pretty sure UAE is banned for leisure travel, which is weird since Navy ships stop their for liberty all the time and their are military personnel stationed there.
>>
>>1053502
>You are an Idiot. Probably from America? Yea look at how dangerous America is compared to other places. Maybe homicide rates per 100k
This is the kind of genius of logic that compares shark attack to lightning strike probabilities.

Op, I would do jordan and israel only. And. yes, I wouldn't wait.
>>
Egypt is not dangerous.
>>
>>1053751

>Plane blown up after passing Egyptian security
>not dangerous

I would say Egypt is dangerous for anyone flying with US/UK/French/Russian carriers.
>>
>>1050509
>>1053538
>>1053505

I read it wrong. US military is not banned from Egypt or UAE, it just requires at least an O5/GS15 in the person's chain if command. Can't really say much else, as information in the guide, though unclassified, is deemed sensitive and not for public release
>>
Twin towers destroyed in NY. Would you feel safe flying out of NY? Of course you would
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.