[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My friend and his girlfriend are planning a trip through the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: 18k2sbd6yecrqjpg.jpg (193 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
18k2sbd6yecrqjpg.jpg
193 KB, 500x500
My friend and his girlfriend are planning a trip through the US. They're thinking of starting in California and then making their way through the southern states to Florida. However, he's white and his girlfriend is black. As a mixed-race couple, will they be ok? Especially in the south-east and in Texas.. Are there any areas they should avoid?
>>
....bruh.
>>
>>1050032

/Thread
>>
>>1049314
Not really. If the dude was black and the girl white they might run into some issues in the bible belt.
>>
>>1049314

No problems, at least nowhere you want to be
>>
No one will fucking care.
>>
Stay off the dirt roads and you'll be fine.
>>
>>1049314
It's 2015. If any does care, they'll most likely keep it to themselves unless they're drunk. White male-black female is much much less of a concern. Racists will just think he's a fool. That's about it. By the way, blacks can be pretty racist too, so don't think it's only white guys in pick up trucks with trucker caps who might say shit. Black women may tsk-tsk at your friend's gf, black dudes may make comments.

In Mississippi and Alabama, many things are still sort of de facto segregated 'unofficially'. I mean in terms of social circles, or this cafe or that BBQ joint, etc. You may see only blacks folks, or only white folks. Many small towns are either black or white, rarely both, and if they are there's a white side and a black side. It'll be an experience, but you'll be fine.
>>
>>1049314
You will be killed 50 times before you leave the plane. Your corpses will be paraded around like prized trophies and your stuffed carcasses will be enshrined in the halls of congress as a reminder of what happens to those who transgress our rules.
>>
>>1049314
Its funny to me that you are more worried about this than they are
>>
>>1049314
Zero problems with race in the USA, seriously. True melting pot mentality and all men created equal. That stuff you see on the news are instigators and punkass kids doing illegal stuff like running from police at a traffic stop, pulling weapons or trying to disarm a policeman, etc. There's is no culture to give a damn about mixed race. Even the President is biracial, though he only identifies himself as black.
>>
>>1050708
>Even the President is biracial, though he only identifies himself as black.

No he doesn't. Other people like to refer to him as the "first black president" and shit, but he doesn't personally say that. And if he did, please find a specific documented instance where referred to himself as only black. He even wrote a book about his parents and his upbringing with mixed heritage.

To the half white/half black people who do in fact basically just identify as black, it's kind of hard not to when you look 80-90% black despite being technically half and half.

Generally speaking, when someone sees a biracial guy walking down the street, they don't think "oh, a half white half black gentleman!" the think "black guy."
>>
>>1050732
>No he doesn't. Other people like to refer to him as the "first black president" and shit, but he doesn't personally say that. And if he did, please find a specific documented instance where referred to himself as only black.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/obamas-racial-identity-still-an-issue/
"My black activist friends from here to Boston say that you are not black, you are multiracial, and I want to know how you self-identify?" he was asked at a recent event.
Obama replies: "I self-identify as African American - that's how I'm treated and that's how I'm viewed. I'm proud of it."

2010 Census
For more than 2 decades the instructions state to click off more than one race if you are more than one race. He chooses only African-American, Black, Negro.

The issue isn't his truthfulness or secrecy of a mixed heritage, it's the fact he doesn't identify with it, but from a weird perspective of being some kind of american of slave heritage and generational drama...when he's the child of an absent foreigner, who grew up in only one community that was white and very white, and a second community of indonesia. How does skin color alone define him? It shouldn't.
>>
>>1050744

Not the guy you responded to, but it kind of makes sense. This quote: "I self-identify as African American - that's how I'm treated and that's how I'm viewed. I'm proud of it." Kind of goes hand in hand with this.

>To the half white/half black people who do in fact basically just identify as black, it's kind of hard not to when you look 80-90% black despite being technically half and half.

>Generally speaking, when someone sees a biracial guy walking down the street, they don't think "oh, a half white half black gentleman!" the think "black guy."

People can say it's 50-50 but really, given the biological outcome of black traits being exceedingly dominant, it's really not. That and that fact that everyone will identify you as black anyway.
>>
>>1050764
>People can say it's 50-50 but really, given the biological outcome of black traits being exceedingly dominant, it's really not. That and that fact that everyone will identify you as black anyway.

I believe otherwise. He crafted that opinion only for votes and is lying to the people.
>>
File: ThanksObama.gif (824 KB, 432x243) Image search: [Google]
ThanksObama.gif
824 KB, 432x243
>>1050768
>He crafted that opinion only for votes and is lying to the people

pic related, it's you
>>
>>1050768
Absolutely. I can understand an identity crisis for a kid who grew up in indonesia among asians, with a different race sibling, and mother both, among muslims and christians...big factor to be confused. But where among all that did he become some identifying with some particular culture? When it suited him to get ahead. He never once lived or went to school with people he could actually identify with whatsoever.
>>
>>1050685
Live in Alabama, can confirm, it's definitely segregated outside of the major cities, but no one is going to say/do anything to you, they'll just be butthurt behind closed doors.

Have fun!
>>
>>1050768
LOL are you actually trying to say that black traits aren't exceedingly dominant biologically in a biracial person and that other people actually view them as half white?

And can we not make this a thinly veiled Obama hate thread? Seriously just take it to /pol/. What is even the point of bringing up Obama. How Obama views himself is in no way directly relevant to what this guy's friend and his gf will deal with or not in America.

It's like you were randomly itching to just spew your views about Obama to someone so you shoved it into the larger more relevant discussion.
>>
>>1050708
>Zero problems with race in the USA

well let's not go crazy now.
>>
>>1050785
He was being ironic and facetious. (Plus weirdly chomping at the bit to express his views about Obama).
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.