[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Going to Thailand soon, need some advice
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 154
Thread images: 22
File: Thailand_map.gif (14 KB, 370x450) Image search: [Google]
Thailand_map.gif
14 KB, 370x450
I'm going to be there for 11 days or so. I'll be staying in Bangkok for at least part of it and my friend wants to go to Phuket.

Are hostels safe to stay in? I have some luggage (a fairly big backpack and a suitcase), will it be secure there and will I have some place to store it with it being relatively safe from theft?

Approximately how much Baht will I probably need to include hostel, food, alcohol (probably), travel between Bangkok and Phuket and back, etc?

If anyone has answers to some of these questions, it would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>>1047555
About 2 years ago I went from Bangkok to Phuket and back with Air Asia.
I don't remember the exact fare, can't have been more than 100 $ I guess.
Anyway if things haven't changed since, domestic flights depart from Don Mueang, not Suvanabhumi.
There's also the train and bus options if you don't mind a longer trip
>>
>>1047558
Thanks for the reply. I think I'd probably be going by train.
>>
>>1047559
the train's actually pretty nice. Tons of food vendors come through selling weird shit.
>>
What about drugs?
>>
>>1047670
Thailand is a buddhist country
The five precepts strongly suggest you stay away from intoxicating substances
>>
>>1047671
I've read that specially in red light districts and beachs sells a lot of drugs, but it's strict illegal and you can go for jail until death.

So, i don't know what really going on there.

>The five precepts strongly suggest you stay away from intoxicating substances
Alcohol is also a "toxicanting substance".
>>
>>1047677
>Alcohol is also a "toxicanting substance"

Well, Duh
>>
>>1047670
Basically, don't buy them from a Thai person. If you're just a tourist, there's no long term gain from selling to you, so they'll make more money shopping you to the police.

At your own risk, the best places to ask are hostels and expat-run bars.

Also, you can indeed fly to Phuket from Suvanabhumi airport. Returns can easily be had on thai airways for under $100. I would recommend it if time is important to you... all depends upon timings.

I would recommend going straight to Phuket when you arrive at BKK airport, then spending a few nights in Bangkok at the end of your trip. Going from the wonders of the beach straight to your international flight is horrible, whereas a few days in Bangkok brings you back up to the pace of life in my experience.
>>
>>1047698
That's the answer that i was waiting to read. Thank you very much!
>>
>>1047758

A fate worse than death for drugs...

I am not impressed.
>>
>>1047555
>Are hostels safe to stay in?
Mostly yes but there are two things...
One, if you're female and moderately hot then be aware of scummy backpackers drugging you to rape you, not common but some guys do that on Kaohsan rd.

And more scummy backpackers will pilfer bags to pay for their eternal holiday. So watch out for junkies etc.

A private room solves both problems and just putting your bag in a locker will usually be enough for the second problem.
>>
>>1047758
If its just weed you're looking for Reggae bars worked for me 9 times out of 10
>>
>>1047555
If you have a big backpack and a suitcase that will be too big for some hostel lockers, you should read reviews and contact the place first. Bring your own lock, they aren't always supplied. Hostel lockers are usually pretty safe but they aren't immune, usually the safest place for your valuables is on your person somewhere they can't be easily pickpocketed.
>>
Yea hostels are safe, just go agoda, booking, hostelworld etc and look for ones with good reviews.

As above says, you wont be able to get big bags or suitcases in lockers. You will be able to get valuables in there or a small bag, most people just leave their big bag on the floor or on their bed and most smart people only put clothes and non valuables in that bag and carry all valuables on their person or in a daybag.

As for Phucket i would avoid it to be honest but each to their own, you can get very cheap air asia flights ($30-40) if you book well in advance.

Hostels in bangkok will range from 150 baht to around 400 baht and it all depends on how many people you want in your room, location, security, reviews etc. Its probably worth staying a better one.
>>
Staying in a hostel in Thailand is a bad idea because they're very poor value for money. As mentioned above, a bed in a dormitory can cost up to 400 baht, but you can get a nice room in a hotel/guesthouse with air conditioning for the same price (about 300 baht on average).
Everything geared at Western tourists (including backpackers) like hostels, bars, restaurants with Western food, VIP buses is ridiculously overpriced in Thailand.
>>
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g293916-d7265013-Reviews-Bed_Station_Hostel-Bangkok.html

Bed Station is an excellent hostel choice for BKK. You can Google their site or use agoda, but like the other guy said, the only reason to go for hostels is if you like that atmosphere, hotels are just as cheap, if not cheaper. Bed station does have private rooms as well, though.
>>
>>1047842
This is true. I was bummed to see that a double room in a Thai guesthouse can go as low as 150 baht. The same is true for other countries in SEA. I still opted to stay in hostels many times for the sake of meeting other travelers in my first trip, as I was traveling alone.
On my second trip, this time with my gf, knowing this made things crazy cheap and even gave us privacy. Win.
>>
OP Bangkok is amazing. Guest houses are the way to go as they are so cheap, I would recommend Padi Madi as it is cheap, nice, and right next to the skyrail so you can get to places easily. If you like touristy areas than try Khoasan road but it is too touristy for me. Tuk tuks are overpriced and dont have a meter so use taxis and tell them to use the meter. I did not enjoy Phuket but if you want to see amazing beeches than I would suggest Krabi. I actually enjoyed Chang Mai the most by far but it is a bit of a distance from Bangkok.
>>
I flew around Thailand booking with Momundo which is incredibly cheap.
>>
I have arachnophobia (fear of spiders, like seriously I am deathly afraid) will I be OK in thailand?
>>
>>
OP here. My friend and I have decided to forgo Phuket and are actually going to take the red line train north out of Bangkok and check out some places like Chiang Mai.

He was saying that I can just store my bags at the airport for cheap. Has anyone done this and would you recommend it?

Are there any must sees along the red line train north?
>>
>>1047555
Are you gonna find a ladyboy and Phuket?
>>
Phuket. Non-ladyboy
>>
Just realized the Pattaya thread got deleted and it had zero to do with sex tourism or women. The opposite in fact, wtf. If that Pattaya guy sees this, waiting on your report.
>>
Was in thai 2 years ago for around 17 days. I had just over 12,000 Baht for the duration of the trip.

I spent 8,000 baht in my first night out from going to the highest class bar in the whole of phuket and fucking the most expensive whores.

I didn't know how much I was spending at the time as I was completely wasted from the ridiculously cheap all you can drink offer earlier in the evening.

Be careful with your money. I was charged double what I was ordering by the waitresses.

I got robbed on a bus from Krabi to Bangkok. The tour operator went through everyone's bags on the bus while we were all sleeping.

I was robbed while at a beach party in Phi Phi.

I was attacked by a ladyboy when I refused to have sex with him.

I got food poisoning from the street food.

Shits real crazy in Thailand. But if you go with a a lot of street smarts and a good budget you'll be fine.

Can get private rooms for very cheap in the hostels. Would recommend air-con rooms to maximise your restful sleeps.

Anything else feel free to ask...
>>
>>1047934
>Are there any must sees along the red line train north?
Ayutthaya and Sukothai. Both old capitals with ruins of stuff. Not as impressive as Bagan in Myanmar or Angkor in Cambodia, but still pretty nice if you are into that kind of stuff.

>>1048131
Seems like you left your common sense at home for this trip, brah.
>The tour operator went through everyone's bags on the bus while we were all sleeping.
Don't take the "VIP" buses marketed to tourists (Very Inferior Product). Take the BKS buses from the terminals that Thai people also use.
>I was robbed while at a beach party in Phi Phi.
Guard your shit at beaches.
>I got food poisoning from the street food.
Sounds like you were unlucky, usually Thai street food is ok. I met tons of people that had no issues for a month in Thailand but got the shits on their first day after entering Cambodia.
>>
>>1047892
There are spiders everywhere in the world (mostly).

It will depend on where you stay. If there's lots of vegetation around, there might be a small jumping spider or two, but you'd never see them. I let them live because they tend to eat ants and flying insects.

It's not Australia, sheesh. There certainly aren't any super venomous ones. At least, I was never told to worry about them whilst romping through my garden as a child.

Besides, there are far worse things than spiders in the deep places of the world (and they have a goodly more number of legs than just 8 - seriously, there's far worse, far more painful, shit to worry about here - beware of shower drains during the rainy season - BEWARE).
>>
>>1048131
I've been to Thailand many many times and to many different locations and i've never had any trouble or even heard of any of traveler have any trouble other than getting their phone stolen once. Sounds like you were really unlucky or made yourself an easy target somehow.
>>
yea OP at the airport or at a bus station. My girlfriend joined me for a few days while I was travelling SEA and she didnt have a backpack but a suitcase so we stored it at a bus station for about 100 baht a day. Also, if you stay at a guest house for a night they will often let you store your bags for free. When I was in Chang Mai my girlfriend and I stayed at a guesthouse for a few nights and then rented a motorcycle to go to Pai and they let us keep our bags at the house for free.
>>
And you sir are an absolute idiot. How dumb are you? Thailand is in no way dangerous. There are lots of scams but jesus man if I saw someone with your stupidity while travelling I would fuck with you too.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1446733010298.jpg (39 KB, 552x368) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1446733010298.jpg
39 KB, 552x368
Make sure you pick up some of that enlightenment while there.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1446733020151.jpg (117 KB, 960x684) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1446733020151.jpg
117 KB, 960x684
>>
>>1048202
>and then rented a motorcycle
ehhhhh
>>
File: FB_IMG_1446733025117.jpg (125 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1446733025117.jpg
125 KB, 960x540
>>
File: FB_IMG_1446733030490.jpg (36 KB, 552x368) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1446733030490.jpg
36 KB, 552x368
>>
>>1048202
Do you need a license in thailand to drive a motorcylce? I'm going there in a few days and some time during the trip I might want to rent one
>>
File: Isaan.png (153 KB, 400x421) Image search: [Google]
Isaan.png
153 KB, 400x421
>>1048060
Well that's disappointing.

Can some of the more experienced Thailand travellers tell me what's worth seeing in Isaan.

There must be more to do since the only thing I have found that would interest me is Ban Chiang National Museum and a safari through Khao Yai National Park.

>>
>>1048274
Depends where you go, most will just ask to photocopy your passport. I had never driven a day in my life, not even had lessons, and I was able to rent a scooter. Probably not a smart decision to drive a scooter in Thailand for your first ever driving experience, but it went fine
>>
File: international-driving-licence.jpg (35 KB, 450x338) Image search: [Google]
international-driving-licence.jpg
35 KB, 450x338
>>1048274
>Do you need a license in thailand to drive a motorcylce?

Yes and no. You can get a motor scooter with just a passport photocopy (though some places like to hold your passport while you have the scooter) . But to be legal you need a bike licence from your home country AND a counterpart international licence (pic related is the UK one).

You should bear in mind that any travel insurance will be completely void if you hurt yourself on a motorbike while riding it illegally.
>>
which is the best National park to do a safari/tour in?
>>
I've been living in BKK for 2 month now, if you have any particular question. I have grasp the city quite a bit now.

Avoid MBK, or just go there for fun but never buy anything, its full of fake shit. Avoid any thai speaking in a good english when in the old town ( royal palace ) they are here to fuck you in the ass. Litterally .
Black buddah doesn't exist, not does lucky and big buddah.

Central world and Terminal 21 are sick.
Rest is just luxury mostly its gonna get boring ( still go to siam paragon and emporium for the keks )

Do a skybar ( Moon bar, Vertigo, Central world , Baiyoke Sky Hotel ) Its easily the best shit ever in bkk.

The redlight becomes quickly annoying but go there at least one because its also quite unique ( nana, soi cowboy , patderp )

Go to soy terrorist, its bagdad in bkk.
>>
>>1048470
Just buy a driver licence in kao san.
fuck bitches
>>
Up in Chiang Mai right now. Heading to Bangkok in a few days. Are there any decent ladyboy massage parlors there? Or are they all at gogo bars? Do the places at Nana plaza have short time rooms there?
>>
>>1048750
I don't think that Nana plaza has any short time rooms actually inside the plaza, but Nana Hotel directly opposite does hourly rates
>>
>>1048750
>>1048767
there's a ST hotel called 'Taboo' accessible from the 1st floor. It's basic, but fine. If you go to Casanova on the 1st floor, that's what they'll use.

I recommend Casanova. I only did it once, but most people don't even realize there is an upstairs, so those places tend to have more regulars and fewer 'came to look' tourists.
>>
>>1048707
Different anon here. Just arrived in BKK. Thinking of getting a girl from a go-go on Soi Cowboy this evening. I know it's overpriced but I really need some pussy now. Or do you have other recommendations?
>>
Unrelated but I'm also going to Thailand, Pattaya and Bangkok for 5 days. Would appreciate some help.

Since iphones are very expensive in my country Im thinking of getting one from there. Since apple store prices are almost always higher than retailers, can anyone guide me where I should go for shopping? And for how much can I get the iPhone 6S plus 64GB and 6 plus 64GB Only. I've been trying to find info online but I guess someone's experience would be more reliable. Addresses would be great, i'm afraid of being scammed there.

Also any experiences of getting laid there?
>>
File: P_20151108_173104.jpg (3 MB, 4096x2304) Image search: [Google]
P_20151108_173104.jpg
3 MB, 4096x2304
>>1048912
I'd rather to to massage parlor along the BTS railway from phloen shit to asoke.
At least you will not have to pay a shitty hotel room, pay the mama and have to go trough some shit.

Massage you just pay, you get a very short massage and you fuck.
Simple, easy.

Also pic related.
>>
Oh i forgot.

USE UBER.
Everyone in BKK will try to fuck you, taxis first.
They do not turn on their meter and try to negociate the fare first (they will also not take you to destination , do not have seatbelt, have shitty cars, can't speak english and use weird routes )
NO JUST NO.

Flip a finger to all those fucker and their fucking mafia.
Take a uber, its good and its cheap and confortable.

70 THB for 5 kilometer and 25 minute course was my last.
When a taxi would probably fare around 150 bath.
>>
>>1048942
I'm staying at a nice hotel. So no problem bringing a girl back. And BTW, I think I see that same view from my hotel window. If it's the same pond/lake, then I'm somewhat to the right of you.
>>
>>1048948
I'm in somerset hotel kek are you too ?
>>
>>1048949
Mmm, not close at all. I guess just lots of BKK looks similar enough. I'm in the Sukhumvit area. That's why I mentioned Soi Cowboy, because it's conveniently close.
>>
>>1048950
I'm in Sukhumvit too.
Somerset is just the hotel name, i'm near the BTS asoke.
>>
>>1048951
>BTS asoke
Dude... I'm staying at the Sheraton.
>>
>>1048952
Shhheeeet.
This hotel looks quite nice too ! World is really a small place.
>>
>>1048953
I'm going to head downstairs now because it's cocktail hour (free drinks!) But I'll have my phone with me so I can continue browsing. Was thinking of going out to get something to eat later.

If you feel up to it, maybe we could meet up somewhere a bit later and grab something good to eat? I'm sure you know some cool places?

And yes, it's a nice hotel. I always stay here when in BKK.
>>
>>1048451
Not a whole lot, honestly, if you're a tourist. Nong Khai is chill, other than that it's not really worth it.
>>
>>1048954
I'm still wondering where should i eat since i sleep through this afternoon.
Street food sounds tempting but it always has its downside.
>>
>>1048957
Street food is a daytime thing, no? Anyway right across from my hotel is the Terminal 21 mall. I was considering going there since it's bound to have quite a few food places. Then again they are everywhere, you're not exactly short of choices in BKK.
>>
>>1048958
Terminal 21 has some pretty gud restaurants yes.
Also do you hear ? there's a firework across the city i can see it, looks sick.
>>
>>1048959
I can't hear anything except the jazz music and skytrain.
>>
File: P_20151108_183434.jpg (3 MB, 4096x2304) Image search: [Google]
P_20151108_183434.jpg
3 MB, 4096x2304
>>1048961
It stopped , there's a shitstorm outside m8.
Lightings en masse and shitty rain also blackout look : half of the towers lost electricity in front of me.
>>
>>1048963
Haha, I noticed nothing. I'm in a comfy bubble here. Terminal 21 there in the window seems okay too.
>>
>>1048964
If the rain stops i might go to T21 to eat ( i'm like 10 by foot minutes from there in a quiet place )
>>
>>1048967
Let's have a spontaneous /trv/ meeting there then? Name a place and time? I'm in no hurry because I'm still enjoying cocktail hour here.
>>
>>1048968
Lets meet in T21 around at 20:30 sounds good for you ? It closes at 22:00 so we should be good to find restaurants.

Might go shrug a few beers after but not much more, i was at vertigo yesterday and had a fun time...but my head is killing me.
>>
>>1048969
That sounds good. Can you name a more specific place inside T21?

I will only have internet inside the hotel. So if we're going to meet, better plan it well and detailed.
>>
>>1048970
>he doesn't have thai sim
why.png

Hum at level 1 there is i believe a coffee world,lets just meet at the entrance.
I have black jeans, red and black shirt and i'm 25 white ( should be pretty easy ).
>>
>>1048974
I'm only passing through this time, flying onwards tomorrow. Don't want to bother with a sim card. Anyway that's 1h12m from now. I'll try to find it. There are lots of white guys in BKK though.

Black jeans, light blue full sleeve shirt, blonde/pale/nordic, short, 30s is my description.
>>
>>1048975
If you're a steak lover there's like the biggest steakhouse in BKK quite near.
Its Argentinian, good shit.
>>
>>1048978
Oh, I do love a good steak. Could be an idea. But I'm pretty open to anything.
>>
>>1048974
So anyway. Agreed? 20:30 in front of the coffee world thing at T21? Let's hope it won't be like the legendary brit /int/ meet.
>>
>>1048984
Yeah, also don't worry i'm not assburger ( or at least i don't think so ? )
>>
>>1048986
I'm surprisingly normal for someone who is on 4chan. Just won't have the 'net once I step outside like I mentioned.

Anyway, sounds good. Not the first time I've met /trv/lers either. We're a pretty fair bunch actually.
>>
>>1048988
well the board isn't really 4channesque anyways.
It almost looks normal ( almost )
>>
>>1048912
Head to Sukhumvit Soi 4. There are tons of beer bars there. It's a good place to go and watch sports, find a wingman, drink beer and there are tons of bargirls.
>>
>>1048945
Can you do uber from the airport too? Not sure how the picking up would work or if you'd get beaten down by the taxi drivers.
>>
>>1049019
Just came back.
We have head to soy cowboy and had fun time.
trv bro was quite nice, only good 4chan board confirmed.
>>
File: khao yai.jpg (80 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
khao yai.jpg
80 KB, 500x333
What's the best National park to go and do a tour or safari in? I've herd Khao Yai National Park is good but because it can be overrun with tourists the animals get scared off and you don't get to see anything.

I want to see loads of wildlife.
>>
>>1049078
Was nice to meet you, bro. /trv/ indeed confirmed for best board. I'm a bit hung over now, and have to get going to the airport.
>>
File: 1441780224990.jpg (408 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1441780224990.jpg
408 KB, 1920x1080
I will be flying to bangkok and will be there from dec 1-4 and then heading north on motorcycles with my cousin to chiang mai where we will go out into the countryside and mountains to explore. If anyone rides a motorcycle and wants to travel with us, please feel free. The more company the better. The plan is to stay in northern thailand for a month and then head to cambodia. Im not a rapist or weirdo lol, just a 22 y\o from california
>>
I have a visa debit card and a discover credit card. Will these be accepted in most places in North Thailand and Bangkok?

Do most guesthouses have wifi, and will I be able to connect my iphone to it?

My friend and I are planning on meeting up at baggage claim. Will that area be available to him if he's already in Bangkok?
>>
>>1049233
>I have a visa debit card and a discover credit card. Will these be accepted in most places in North Thailand and Bangkok?
The visa debit will. I don't know what the discover is.

>Do most guesthouses have wifi
yes

>and will I be able to connect my iphone to it?
Dont see why not.

>My friend and I are planning on meeting up at baggage claim. Will that area be available to him if he's already in Bangkok?
No, you cant just walk into baggage claim, imagine all the theft! There should be an "arrivals" area outside the baggage claim.
>>
Is there any way to get from Koh phi phi to Krabi or ao nang after 6pm? I finish my snorkelling at that time but I'm struggling to find transport at that time all the boats leave during the morning or at lunch time.
>>
Any places you could recommend in Bangkok, Chiang Mai or Krabi for concerts/live music? I'm especially interested in Ska, Metal and Rap (and similar music styles/fusion styles containing at least one of the latter). Will be in Thailand for 30 days from Wednesday btw.
>>
>>1048205
>>1048223

None of those idiots have correct posture and focusing. No full lotus, no mudra, no erect, straight spine, poor neck posture, eyes either wide open or closed. Baka. These people will never attain satori.
>>
>>1047555
1. Hostels are fine. There's really no reason why you can't get a decent hotel room for around B500 a night, if not less.

1.1 Don't stay in a hostel if you're THAT worried about security.

2. B3,000 a day should see you living fine for what you've specifically described.

2.1 Get a train.

May I ask what's in Phuket for you? I go back to Thailand every six weeks, and I see no reason to go to Phuket.
>>
>>1049311

http://www.therockpub-bangkok.com/
>>
Mhhh...looks promising. Cheers mate, I think I'll give that place a try.
>>
>>1049356

>3000 Baht
>$83 USD

Wait, what the fuck? Is Thailand seriously that expensive? You can get a private room, rent a motorcycle, eat freshly caught, cook-to-specifications fish, and then get wasted somewhere like Goa for about $30-$50 per day, outside of NYE.
>>
>>1049565
No it's not. $30-$50 seems more like it.
>>
>>1049565
I always slightly overestimate whenever I give money advice with regard to travelling. I'd hate for some poor bastard to budget for B1,500 because I suggested it and then have a terrible time.

I usually budget for about B2,000 a day when I'm in Thailand (free room, so not included in budget), but I drink a lot and do random stuff. I nearly always have a bunch of change and have some days where I spend around B100.

I also figured OP would most likely end up buying some girls a few drinks a few nights a week, even if they're not planning to right now.
>>
Slight diversion from OP: currently trying to build my 25 day itinerary in May. Few questions:

- Planning to spend about a week each in Bangkok and Chiang Mai, but there are a few other places in the middle I'm not sure how/when to tackle. For stuff like Ayutthaya, Sukothai and Khao Yai National Park it seems like it might be worth doing those after Bangkok, then heading back to Bangkok to travel to Chiang Mai, doing northern stuff from Chiang Mai and then making the reverse journey.

Is that sensible spine to the trip or is it easier just to waft around from place to place without relying on the BKK-Chiang Mai route?

- My flights are in and out of BKK, but really I guess I can go anywhere - people I've mentioned the trip to have assumed I'll hit up a lot of SEA in that time, but it doesn't seem like a lot of spare time to me. Would it be silly to cram a week in Cambodia (maybe just in/around Phnom Penh) or Myanmar or elsewhere into that length of time? I've had rushed trips around other countries and want to avoid the one-or-two-nights per town pace.

- I have zero interest in the beach or partying with Australians (while on holiday, at least) which makes a lot of Thailand travel advice and information online mostly irrelevant; any other recommendations for worthwhile places to include?
>>
>>1049600
what do you plan on doing or seeing in the North and in the east of Thailand, because I plan to do something similar to you.
>>
File: Siem-Reap.jpg (2 MB, 3200x2133) Image search: [Google]
Siem-Reap.jpg
2 MB, 3200x2133
>>1049600
>Would it be silly to cram a week in Cambodia (maybe just in/around Phnom Penh) or Myanmar or elsewhere into that length of time?

If you like Temple ruins I'd highly recommend Angkor wat and the surrounding temples in Siem reap. You can easily do the temples in three days, but Id give yourself 4/5 days to allow for the commute in/out of Cambodia.

Phnom Penh has nothing Bangkok doesn't have. I don't think its worth visiting anything in Cambodia (aside from siem reap) with only 25 days.
>>
>>1049759
What kind of things are worth visiting in Northern Thailand and the Isaan region?
>>
>>1049759
Yeah, I've been considering Angkor Wat. Seems like flights aren't that cheap, though I guess I have the time to do it over land.

>>1049755
>>1049772
So far I mostly have jungle treks, rafting, wildlife tours, that sort of stuff. I'm not really sure how much I should move around or if I can get a lot of it from one base. I wanna go up to Chiang Rai at least though.
>>
File: Chiang Rai.jpg (108 KB, 800x328) Image search: [Google]
Chiang Rai.jpg
108 KB, 800x328
>>1049772

Chang mai has lots of small temples and little coffee shops and stuff. Its touristy, but in a nice way. You can also use this as a base to go on 2/3 day jungle "trecks". (The "trecks" usually involve a small walk through jungle, an elephant ride, staying in a mountain village, rafting and swimming in some waterfalls n stuff.)

Chang rai has a cool modern temple (see pic) designed by some illustrator guy. lots of cool art.

There's a town called Pai (popular with the Thai's because there was a romantic film shot there) which has more coffee shops and has some caves nearby. Its a good place to rent a motorbike and explore the countryside.

I dont know much about Isaan other than the food. I suppose you could do a day trip to Laos or something? Vang vieng in laos might be a cool place to visit if they still have the tubing, I think the government shut it down though. Too many deaths.
>>
>>1049780
>I dont know much about Isaan other than the food.
What kind of food

In Chang Mai I plan to go to Lanna Folklife Museum, Wat Umong, the night bazaar and a bunch of other markets,

Chang rai I want to visit the Wat in your pic
(Wat Rong Khun) and the Hill tribe museum

I'd like to go to Sukhothai Historical Park

And I'm thinking of going to Ban Chiang National Museum near Udon Thani and Nong Han Kumphawapi

Is it worth the time to visit some of these more remote areas (excluding Chang Mai) to just see one or two things?
>>
>>1049786
>Is it worth the time to visit some of these more remote areas (excluding Chang Mai) to just see one or two things?
Depends what you really want from the trip.

Generally in Thailand, once you've seen a few temples, there isn't much difference between them. If you're going to these remote areas, you're really going just to experience northern Thai life and scenery, rather than do anything specific. A lot of towns look the same too, modern open front concrete shops, older, unexceptional wooden buildings.

Not to put you off, but just saying it depends if you want to tick things off or just wander.

Don't spend too long in Bangkok... there really isn't much in the way of culture or architecture worth seeing there vs other capital cities. It's really just shopping, food and drink. Most day trips from Bangkok suck and there are better examples of what you'll see elsewhere in Thailand.

I would say that Thailand is best experienced with fuzzy plans. Pick a few places where you want to head, then let how you get there be dictated by who you meet along the way.
>>
>>1049786
Visit Ayutthaya. I'm here right now. It's great. I like it more than Chiang Mai so far. Surprisingly not a lot of English spoken here.
>>
>>1049802
Want I want from the trip: I researched some attractions I really want to see that are on my ''must do list''. Most of these are in the south.

But I also want to see the entire country rather than just stay in the coast and around Bangkok, so I've chosen some museums/sites/attractions that I think might be interesting to draw me to some more remote areas that aren't typical.

>>1049809
Will do that's a place already on my to do list
>>
>>1047555

chicks

w
i
t
h

dicks
>>
>>1050454
Dudes with tits
>>
>>1049333
9/10
>satori
hahahahaha
>>
>>1049169
Hey man, 22y/o kiwi dude here going to Cambodia then Thailand from the 9th - 7th of december before I head off to India.
I'd be pretty keen to catch up with someone from /trv/, hoping to be buying a motorbike while I'm over there.
>>
>>1052118
i get into bangkok the 6th of December. Don't know anything about the place though. Aside from what i'v read here
>>
>>1052195
>>1052195
Got a hostel booked mate? If not book nappark, one of the best hostels I've ever stayed in. I go again in January
>>
File: 1447892179214.png (264 KB, 540x429) Image search: [Google]
1447892179214.png
264 KB, 540x429
>>1052207
nah dude i will check it out might be back around the kok in January just gonna fuck around all over sea had a like engagment trip planned but she turned out to be a whore so i have twice the money to be a whore lol im drunk now
>>
Question: Should i bring a small laptop for 2+months in SEA?
>>
Got the flu while staying in Bangkok. Does anyone know where I can buy Nyquil or Dayquil? I heard it's illegal for pharmacys to sell it here because it contains alcohol.
Also be careful staying in the Sukumvit area of Bangkok. The flu is going around pretty bad here.
>>
>>1052118
5th of december were going to be heading norhtwest towards canchanaburi
>>
Are there any places like Pai (hippie town in Northern Thailand) in the Southwest? Right now I'm on Koh Lanta but somehow not that enthusiastic. Maybe because of the lack of other solo backpackers or the locals who do not seem to be as friendly as other parts of Thailand. Would Ao Nang be a better place to stay?
>>
>>1052676
>Should

I don't know about "should," you could but you'll have to be a little security conscious with it or it will swiftly and silently vanish away.

f you want to have one with you, being a little situationally aware should see you through.
>>
>>1054839
Ao Nang wasn't overly hippy, although it is really easy to get weed I guess

Amazing place to visit though, so many incredible places just a short boat ride away
>>
i noticed today they changed the tourist visas for Thailand, at least for canada.
>>
>>1047810
I've smoked all throughout Thailand. Even directly on the beach in Koh Lanta, Krabi, Phi Phi, etc.

Just have to keep an eye out, avoid the Thais and don't buy it from tuk tuks or cab drivers. I typically find an expat bar or get it from my guest house. I go to Koh Lanta at least once a month for 2-3 nights just to get away from the monotony of Hat Yai (the only place I've never found weed so I just bring it back with me from the islands). I even use to smoke in the sois off Loi Kroh Road in Chiang Mai when I was living there. You have to be pretty fucking stupid to get yourself caught.
>>
>>1054839
Here's the 4real answer- Tonsai Bay is what you're looking for. Hippie backpacker community and small. People I met there were usually coming from or headed to Pai.
>>
What's the best site to meet girls online?
>>
>>1048131
They turned your experience into a commercial but with a happy ending.
>>
File: CO43zAvWcAEQ84x.jpg (26 KB, 500x373) Image search: [Google]
CO43zAvWcAEQ84x.jpg
26 KB, 500x373
Not planning to go to Thailand but I've always been curious about a few things I'm ashamed to google :

- How do ladyboys/Thai people in general feel about men getting topped by shemales ?

- Are there underage prostitutes working among the other prostitutes in the main bar streets or is it an underground thing ?

- is there a male prostitution too ?
>>
>>1053201
I'd love to come but i'd have to come by train as I can't drive. You wanna meetup there?

Not >>1052118 btw
>>
>>1055835
To answer your questions:
- They look down on men, especially western men who do that shit

- Let me rephrase what you're asking: "Hi guys, is there anyway I can fuck a child in Thailand without getting in trouble? Btw I'm not a pedophile :^)"

- Male prostitution is a myth, it doesn't exist.
>>
>>1055835
Girl from Nana I fucked told me after I went home that one of the big bars there was closed because the girls were under 18 (this was like 2 weeks ago or so)

In regards to your 3rd question she also told me if I moved to BKK I could make a lot doing male dancing/prostitution because i'm young/handsome and /fit/
>>
I'll be travailing from Phuket to Krabi I need to be in Krabi by morning.

After I finish a tour I'll try and catch the 6:30pm bus, which is the last one.
If I miss it would a Taxi to Krabi be tremendously expensive or should I just play it safe and just book a private transfer?
>>
>>1055835
>thais will take the piss out of you behind your back if you're with a ladyboy. Though they're an accepted part of thai culture they are looked down on and thais will sometimes make you aware that you are with a ladyboy just in case you took her by accident.

>don't know if you're a pedo, don't care. Girls as young as 12 can be seen selling themselves on beach Road though they try and stay away from the road just in case the police are about. You can find them lounging around the palm trees and on the beach itself. How you get them back to your place is another matter, I wouldn't recommend using public transport or a hotel with a reception/ lobby. Ideally you need personal transport and a rented villa/apartment
>>
>>1047555
are you traveling to somewhere else too ?
why the hell do you need a big backpakc and a suitcase ?

also , hostel are safe yes ..
if you lock your valuable things , or get a private room
its suppper cheap , going from 30 bath to 1000
everything arround 150 is good
Food is arround 40 bath ( thats street food i'm talking about ) and its very very very good
try to eat where lot of locals eat
beer is arround 100 bath for 33 cl , drink fast bcause it gets warm fast . you can buy buckets of alcohol too

traveling with plane within thailand is super cheap , i have no idea how people on this trhead pay 100 $ for .. i maximum paid 20 for flights wihitn thailand
watch out what train you will take , most of the trains are fcked up , better go with a bus
costs like 400 bath maybe, maybe 600

any more questions , just ask
>>
>>1056045
>>1056073
>>1056053

Thanks for the answer.
I'm not pedo or gay, I just saw a documentary and I'm trying to know more about thai prostitution, which looks strange to someone from a country where prostitution is slavic bimbos sitting behind windows in a deserted street.
>>
>>1056045
> - Male prostitution is a myth, it doesn't exist.
I highly doubt that. Source: hired a dude to fuck me in the ass a couple of times.
>>
>>1056185
>Source: hired a dude to fuck me in the ass a couple of times.
elaborate...
>>
>>1055835
>>1056073
>>1056168

The underage prostitute thing is such an overblown myth in thailand

Sure there may be some 17 yr olds working in bars but if you honestly believe there are prostitutes as young as 10 you are literally retarded

>tfw went to chiang mai with gf 2 years ago.
>expecting to see some seedy shit like ladybois and street children selling themselves
>tfw thailand is just a normal country in a beautiful jungle
>>
>>1056542
chiang mai is not where they are dude, many of the women who become prostitutes are from the northern high lands like chiang mai, but the trade is not big up there at all. they're all in phuket and pattaya and bangkok, so don't act like you know wtf you're talking about bruh
>>
How hard is it to find mdma in thailand? I was planning on bringing some in but I figured it was too risky to do on an international flight.
>>
File: 1398805749860.jpg (19 KB, 253x296) Image search: [Google]
1398805749860.jpg
19 KB, 253x296
>go to Thailand
>just a bunch of farang everywhere

Nice country.
>>
>>1047555

For trains this is your definitive guide: http://www.seat61.com/Thailand.htm
For flights use Skyscanner and book a day or 2 in advance.

Also many hostels will be able to book for you
>>
>>1047555

Also, look for the 'ghost tower' when you're in Bangkok, it's a great way to spend the last evening in Thailand. You'll probably be back in bkk for your flight anyway.
>>
>>1056746
its also super illegal
and you can get cought and put in jail for like forever

but the view is fucking amazing
>>
>>1056895
According to this shiz right here, it's completely legal.

Although still looks dicey safety-wise.

http://expertvagabond.com/abandoned-skyscraper-bangkok/
>>
>>1057854
>>1056895

OK, nope. Not any more. Sorry for jumping the shark.
>>
There's this phrase or word that this Thai guy was saying, directed towards me he was with a bunch of girls and whenever he said it they laughed. To the English ear it sounded like marmite goh does anyone know what it could be.
>>
>>1058199
bump to hear what anon got called kek
>>
>>1058199
"marmite Goh" u wat?
>>
I'm 18 and am going travelling next year with my friend. my friend and I are both 18, male and very social. We're going through a series countries starting in Europe, through SE Asia and then onto Australia. We're going for about 5-6 months total, leaving next feb and have booked up to bangkok (third destination), and then from then will book as we go. My question is: how long in Bangkok? We're thinking of 7-10 days but want to hear from a range of people. Trust me I'm not as goony as I sound from this text haha
>>
>>1058199
Go or gow
>>
>>1058345
Marmite could be "mi pen rai" which is "it's alright/okay" or "man coo a rai" which is "what is it". Just confused on that later word.
>>1058345
Tinker this translation us incomplete
>>
>>1048131
it sounds more like you were not a very wise traveler. Spending 8,000 baht in a bar is kind of insane.
>>
File: sharkys-Lambo1.jpg (40 KB, 453x400) Image search: [Google]
sharkys-Lambo1.jpg
40 KB, 453x400
Yo, /fit/ Canadian bro here

Not much of a traveller, I mainly go to tropical destinations (Cuba, Cancun, Dominican Republic, Jamaica) because I have some sort of beach addiction. I literally spend 4-5 hours swimming in the ocean or chilling on the beach. Then during the evening I go to lobby bars/clubs in an attempt to fuck hoes (tourists, not professionals).

Anyway, would you recommend Thailand for me? I'm 32 y-o btw and never left Canada for more than 2 weeks. Kinda thinking about ''cancelling'' winter 2017 by spending 3 months in Thailand / SEA

PS: I don't come on /trv/ often, but this is such a great board, much love and respect to everyone that posts here.

PPS: are there... gyms in Thailand or is it mainly muy thai stuff?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (504 KB, 3000x2953) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
504 KB, 3000x2953
>>1048451

i been to surin
>dont go to surin
>boring as fuck
>>
>>1058419
18 year old here bumping. What are the gyms like in Bangkok and se Asia as a whole?
>>
>>1058419
>>1058506
I recently went to SEA for 6 weeks, I drank every day, ate shit all the time but stayed pretty active ie swimming and walking a lot and I barely lost any gains. I did some half arsed body weight shit a few times a week and my bench was down 5kg, deadlift down 10kg and they both shot back up after 2 weeks when I got back. Don't bother wasting your time at a gym on holiday, just make the most of being in an exotic place where you can see crazy shit every day
>>
Is it a vital importance to get a DTP (DPT if you like) vaccination when only travelling to Bangkok? I'm considering it as my next holiday, had my Hep shots already.
>>
>>1058419
yes there are gyms in bangkok
a lot of them , and very good ones too and fcking cheap

but dont be a gym fag , go get your ass kicked at muy thai
Thread replies: 154
Thread images: 22

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.