[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Scotland
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (55 KB, 426x481) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
55 KB, 426x481
hi there, I'm looking for some neat stuff to do in Scotland. From seeing Skye or seeing a local musical.

Any scots have a recommendation or two?
>>
File: FalkirkWheelSide.jpg (882 KB, 2315x1644) Image search: [Google]
FalkirkWheelSide.jpg
882 KB, 2315x1644
>>1046179
Rent a boat on the union canal.
>>
Whisky?

When are you there and where are you starting your Scottish journey?
>>
>>1046385
Dundee
>>
>>1046817
Sorry to hear mate. I hope it's temporary.
>>
>>1046817
>>1046179
Dundee isn't the nicest place but it's ok.

How are you getting around?

The highlands are the nicest part of Scotland, but it can be difficult to get around without a car or something.

Edinburgh is the nicest city, well worth spending a few days there.

Glasgow is ok, well the centre is nice but don't leave the centre as it quickly turns into slums.
>>
>>1046817
lmao
>>
St Andrews is near Dundee and is well worth a visit, as are, maybe, some of the coastal villages nearby (Crail and Elie being the two nicest ones).

Edinburgh is easily the most beautiful city anywhere in the UK and Ireland, both in terms of its natural setting and architecture, but Glasgow has a better cultural life (unsurprisingly, as it's a lot bigger and much more racy and urban and high-paced and aggressive)

Give more hints as to what you're interested in and I'll rack my brains some more...
>>
>>1046179

Nature:
Cairngorms National Park
Loch Lomond National Park
Isle Of Skye
Orkney's

Towns:
- Edinburgh
- Pitlochry
- Inverness
- Oban
- Portree

Walk up the Benrinnes. Also go to the Ben Nevis.

Visit a distillery. Personally I'd rate Balvenie and Glenfarclas very highly. But Lagavulin, Ardbeg, Laphroaig and Talisker are all great as well. I've visited about 50 myself so far.

Travel up the west coast. The route of Loch Lomond / Oban / Fort Williams / Malaig / Portree is ace

See Loch Ness.

Spend as much time in small local bars as humanly possible. It's really easy to have a conversation with the locals too. And fun.

Eat haggis every day. It's absolutely delicious.
>>
>>1046817
Fettercairn distillery is probably the closest

Are you into walking? Ben avon and glen esk would be good munroes to hit

Edinburgh and heaps of,touristy stuff to do,there. Castle, etc.
Aviemore for outdoors
Aberdeen for strippers
>>
>>1047087
>Dundee isn't the nicest place but it's ok.
ranked third in least happy cities of UK. europe number one in teenage pregnancies. heroin addicts everywhere, city center riverside has been in construction for the last years without improvement.

this shithole is not ok

/ anon went here for work, leaving asap.
>>
>>1047711
Yeah, it's not a nice place, but part of the tragedy is that it has one of the most beautiful natural settings of any UK city (maybe only below those of Edinburgh, Bath, maybe Inverness) with views over the "Silvery Tay". It's not as grim as it was 20 years ago - really it's not - but yeah, ,it is kind of troubled, and without the redeeming features that Glasgow (which has similar problems and a whole another level of violence) has.
>>
Go to st andrews and fuck lots of asians
>>
>>1047087
>Glasgow slums

This is largely bullshit, just avoid the east end, the rest of Glasgow is totally sound.
Glasgow city has loads to do (Necropolis is pretty rad, I loved it when I first visited after moving up here). TONS of pubs, bars, clubs if you're into that kind of thing, Loads of bands play in Glasgow, I go to a gig/show pretty much every week.

If you do head to Glasgow, try check out the Ben Nevis on Argyle Street on a weekend night for some local music and their unbelievable whisky offerings - beats most in Glasgow hands down.
>>
>>1046179
I'm following this thread
>going to Scotland on Monday (Edinburgh)
>interpretation during the day
>dunnowhat during the night

What whisky should I get my bro-in-law? I don't think I'll have a lot of time to go around the countryside. Too bad. Also, I need something for my GF.

What I need to know:
>places to go eat in the evening
>some nice pubs
>good places to buy gifts

I'd love me some bright-green celtic-style tie. Is it sold anywhere?

So many questions. Thanks, /trv/s
>>
>>1047271
Its Orkney or Orkney Islands. No idea where this Orkney's shit come from. Sorry as a local its a pet hate when people call it Orkney's.

As an Orcadian I would highly recommend heading up to Orkney for a quick visit if your into your archaeology, history, folk stories and for a good scoop of drink!

I'm not to fond of Whiskey but I've head that Highland Park is pretty decent, if you visit Orkney you can pick up a bottle from the distillery pretty cheap.

Unfortunately I've never really been in Edinburgh so cant help you there. If your up in Aberdeen/Orkney I'll be able to recommend a few things to do.
>>
>>1047711
>center

Fuck off yank
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.