[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
> choosing to study in France Have I made a mistake? The
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: 20140602122905-paris1.jpg (413 KB, 1280x850) Image search: [Google]
20140602122905-paris1.jpg
413 KB, 1280x850
> choosing to study in France

Have I made a mistake? The majority of students that are doing exchange are going to Sweden and Germany besides the anglo countries. I
>>
>>1046100
You goofed.

France is literally shit-tier these days. Prepare to have a miserable time.

What's your degree?
>>
I will be doing electives there.
>>
>>1046105
Answer the question m8. It's relevant. What degree?
>>
>>1046109
Pardon me. Im doing Business as my degree in Aus.
>>
Nah you're fine. Do you speak french?
>>
>>1046119
I speak a bit of french. Enough to get by like a tourist. I did hsc French during high school.
>>
>>1046120
What uni/school in France?
>>
>>1046207
Paris Dauphine.
>>
>>1046288
Oh my, well done Anon tbh, although I don't know whether the English language courses are on par with the native ones.

In any case, no reason to regret going to Dauphine, on the contrary.

Have no clue if its well ranked for Business degrees though.
>>
>>1046292
Thanks for the input. Its great to know that Dauphine is a great university. I guess it feels bad when many students would be going to other said countries, makes me feel left out.

Btw, how is France shit-tier and why will I have a miserable time there? How bad is it comparing to other nations?
>>
>>1046411
Well it depends what you intend to do and where you intend to go while in France. Parts of it are god tier, others are shit tier like in most countries, really depends on your tastes though. The biggest problem being the language barrier outside of Paris and other "big" cities, though you shouldn't have much of a problem if you are residing in the 16th (where Dauphine is) as it is pretty upper class and most people should speak English. On the other hand it is very expensive to live there, though not as bad as London.

Now, if you are afraid Paris will be shit tier, that again depends on your tastes. I have no clue about what a students life is like there as I studied abroad, but from a tourist's perspective as long as you avoid all the eastern districts of Paris (and the 15th) you shouldn't have a shortage of sightseeing (if you're into architecture and culture that is).
>>
>>1046428
Aye, I chose Paris because of the large amounts of transportation (Airports, Trains, buses) which gives me potential to travel other places more easily.
Yeah I heard often to avoid the eastern districts. I might be staying in the latin quarter area (not confirmed yet) so it should be fine.

Just curious, where did you study abroad to? How was finding close friends for you?

I suppose finding friends is in my top of the list.
>>
>>1046439
Italy, Milan, Bocconi University. Finding friends was complicated at first as different international student groups tend to stay together, but as soon as we started group projects and activities it went smoothly and naturaly.

And yeah Latin quarter is fine, especially for students as one would think.
>>
>>1046442
Sounds great! I guess it isn't so bad as I thought it was. After all, doing exchange is like a great experience as it is already.

Many thanks anon, you've been a great help.
>>
>>1046450
Pleasure, If you need anymore info feel free to ask.
>>
>>1046411
>>1046292
Dauphine is the best university for business and finance but still pretty far from the top5 grandes ecoles. (France's "Yale" or "Oxbridge" for business and finance are grandes ecoles but it's really a special case and it's long to explain).
But it's still pretty good, like, in the top 10% so enjoy it while you can.
>>
>>1046288
>>1046411
best university of Paris for most degrees. You couldn't do better.

>>1046428
>>1046439
Parisian that lived in the east of Paris (on the shit districts). Now I live near the Eiffel Tower.
Basically the shit parts of Paris are :
near gare du nord, barbes, 20th, st ouen and outside Paris the 93 department.
Depends if you're racist or not and if you're easily scared about people because someone told you it was dangerous districts.
My point of view : you'll never have trouble in those districts. The only bad thing about those districts is that people are fucking gross and there's all the homeless guys so the smell and the look of the district is shit. Literally (well maybe not that much, but Sometimes it's fucking disgusting).

About making friend it depends on the people you met. In general there's a lot of parties made by the schools (dunno for dauphine, but the engineering schools do a lot of parties in general), there's associations (nothing like america, but enough to meet people and spend some time doing something you like).
Personally I met a guy that came from Colombia and we became friends quickly.
I think the biggest problem is the language. If you don't speak it, it will be difficult, but it can be fast to learn it. I know an Italian girl that learned it in 4 weeks to be fluent. She didn't knew a word in French before.
>>
I honestly find it very uninteresting when people from North America (implying that's where you're from) tell me they are going to study in a European country. It's very similarly culturally and demographically. Go to South America, Africa, or Asia you twat. There's so much more to see.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.