[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Australia - Sydney
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: resume-writing-services-sydney.gif (279 KB, 1150x372) Image search: [Google]
resume-writing-services-sydney.gif
279 KB, 1150x372
So I'm going to study in Australia for 3 years. I'm going to get an apartment in Sydney near that weird bridge. I haven't been outside my own country for 8 years, and I'm a countryguy so cities has never been a such big part of my life, so I got some questions for you:

>What should I think of (Doing/Preparing/Etc).
>Good places in Sydney or Australia as whole? (I like mountains).
>How much job are there? I'm allowed to work 20% of the week there.
>Any of you guys who lives there?
>>
>How much job are there? I'm allowed to work 20% of the week there.

You can get an illegal job in a 7 11 store, but you will get exploited. Also anything in hospitality is good, try getting a kitchen hand job in a hotel or a large restaurant. The larger the establishment the more protection you will have from the law.
>Any of you guys who lives there?
I live in Melbourne, so my advice on Sydney is limited.

Are you Chinese?
>>
>>1040061
I'm Swedish.
>>
>>1040055
>I like mountains
hopefully not too much, the tallest mountain in Australia is like 1500 feet, the continent is crazy flat
>>
File: 1426302367619.jpg (154 KB, 500x667) Image search: [Google]
1426302367619.jpg
154 KB, 500x667
>>1040055

I can't stand Sydney but a lot of people love it, but I'm a country person as well I suppose. Or a coastal person anyway. Sydney is near the Blue Mountains so I'd check those out, pretty awesome forests.

Sites I'd really recommend seeing:
Great Barrier Reef/Cairns
Uluru (It's pretty far but awesome as well, just the whole desert is crazy cool)
Melbourne is nice
Lots of beaches, esp. north coast. Go North through Newcastle, Byron Bay etc. and swim at lots of beaches and there are a fair few cool mountains on the way.

Sydney is meant to be tough to get a job unless you can work retail or as a dishpig. Minimum wage for an adult is $21 (no tips). Best bet is to meet someone who works at a cafe or restraunt and get a job washing dishes or w/e skills you have.

I had a swede stay at my house for about 5 months, he was going to travel Australia but ended up just surfing and getting stoned with us. Don't be a kook hooved like him.
>>
>>1040068
>the tallest mountain in Australia is like 1500 feet, the continent is crazy flat
There's nothing wrong with a DFC but you're a moron.

The highest mountain in Ausfailia is 7310'. There are many mountains over 1500'

I mean you're not even right if you pretend you meant metres because it's 2228m.

>>1040055
>Good places in Sydney
The Harbour. It's not cheap but you can take part in a social sail around it by turning up at a yacht charter on a weekend morning.

Or just take the ferry across the harbour, go perve on tits at Manley Beach and swim a bit and then have an ice-cream and take the ferry back. The weekly train ticket will cover that ferry ride both ways.
>>
>>1040068
>the tallest mountain in Australia is like 1500 feet, the continent is crazy flat
There's nothing wrong with a DFC but you're a moron.

The highest mountain in Ausfailia is 7310'. There are many mountains over 1500'

I mean you're not even right if you pretend you meant metres because it's 2228m.

>>1040055
>Good places in Sydney
The Harbour. It's not cheap but you can take part in a social sail around it by turning up at a yacht charter on a weekend morning.

Or just take the ferry across the harbour, go perve on tits at Manley Beach and swim a bit and then have an ice-cream and take the ferry back. The weekly train ticket will cover that ferry ride both ways.
>>
File: wattamolla.jpg (456 KB, 1024x681) Image search: [Google]
wattamolla.jpg
456 KB, 1024x681
>>1040081
This guys got good advice

Great Barrier Reef, Cairns, Whitsunday Islands and the Daintree Rainforest are all incredible.

I grew up in Wollongong which is about an south of Sydney and has some cool subtropical rainforests, goreous views from the 'mountains' overlooking the city and great beaches.

Wattamolla's gorgeoous, picrelated doesn't do it jstice. It's in the Royal National Park between Wollongong and Southern Sydney. Best way to visit is to hike along the Coast Track over two days and overnight near Wattamolla. Can be visited on a day trip or the hike done iin one long day ut those options just aren't as nice. Reaally good hike along beaches, through bush and along seaside cliffs.
>>
>>1040081
The Minimum wage is just over $17 an hour i don't know where there other person is getting $21, which I'm assuming they are generalizing a casual position. but you might be offered minimum wage even at casual.
If you want to do bar work, being fluent in English is standard, but you'll need an RSA which stands for Responsible service of Alcohol, the course can be done in a day and isn't that expensive.
Sydney CBD you'll be hit with high costs. for rent, food and everything else, your best bet is a houseshare.
Checkout here. https://flatmates.com.au/sydney-cbd
Jobs are pretty abundant in the city, but it'll be unskilled stuff, e.g dish hand, waiter, cafe staff, etc the best thing you can do is walk into Cafes etc with a CV and just put in as many as you can.
Or checkout http://www.gumtree.com.au/, you can find cash in hand laboring jobs and cafe work but you wont have any protection from exploitation as another person said.

The city is good but further out in western Sydney, when you hit the country, there is a lot to offer, with nature and the blue mountains, as do all the coastal areas up and down the coast, with decent beaches. the north shore beaches are better than bondi.

The further west you go outside the city, the cheaper it becomes, but there are a lot of sketchy suburbs depending on what you are use to in terms of socio economic factors, and your going to have to become familiar with casual racism in western Sydney.
>>
Any apartments near the bridge will be expensive. Maybe look into the Inner West or Eastern Suburbs, though it won't be cheap there either.

There's plenty of beaches within a 20-30 minute bus ride from 'the city'. Most people in Sydney refer to the main business district (where all the tall buildings in the OP pic are) as 'the city' Similar to what Yanks call 'downtown'.

Look into getting a Responsible Sale of Alcohol (RSA) certificate. You should be able to find bar work in pubs/clubs and at events like music festivals.

What university will you be studying at?

I'll be here for the next few hours so feel free to ask any questions.
>>
>>1040186
the national >21s minimum wage is 17 but all casual positions are legally obliged to add a 25% loading
>>
>>1040191
as a sydney resident, "the city" more often just means the main urban center from the harbor all the way to central station.

We're in a housing bubble right now, so your best bet is to move into a suburban area that's on the train network to the city proper, either that or shit 100$ bills.

Nightlife here is ok i guess, nothing to write home about. Art museums are all right, MCA has a shit permanent collection but good shows, and the state gallery has good shows and permanent. Beaches are everywhere, and vary a lot in both quality and how busy they are, but those two aren't always parallel trends. I live in Manly, and it's pretty beautiful and a good place as any to just check out when free. It can get very busy on hot weekends though.
>>
>>1040096
yeah yeah I remembered way wrong and couldn't be bothered to google it
>>1040097
>double posting
>moron
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.