[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How many people here tried being a Artist Singer Programer
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trash/ - Off-Topic

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 11
File: 90.jpg (157 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
90.jpg
157 KB, 900x900
How many people here tried being a

Artist
Singer
Programer
Writer
musician

But couldn't cut it or had to quit?
>>
File: 5512.jpg (74 KB, 1280x854) Image search: [Google]
5512.jpg
74 KB, 1280x854
Extra points if you've also dropped out of or failed college
>>
>>668701
dropped out of uni in my second year, and keep giving up at programing.
>>
File: mfw.png (552 KB, 400x700) Image search: [Google]
mfw.png
552 KB, 400x700
>still a musician
>still a writer
>living the dream
>mfw
>>
I'm an audio engineer, musician and producer.

Currently working at an amateur studio with shit salary. At least I'm expanding my portfolio there.

Trying my luck getting booked for gigs, but this business is slow and hard, as expected..
>>
Went to school for photography, I just don't have the drive to be proactive running a business. Graduated back in May 14, I've made less than 10k over two years.

Going back to school to learn how to weld this coming spring.
>>
>>668625
I wanted to be a professional Drummer but i have Cerebral Palsy
>>
File: feature2.jpg (133 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
feature2.jpg
133 KB, 1280x720
>>670001
JUST
>>
File: 1439521710768.png (90 KB, 266x200) Image search: [Google]
1439521710768.png
90 KB, 266x200
>>668625
Tried almost all of those things, and have since ended up sticking with two.

I slowly fell out of interest with the two before, multiple times. Now I don't see what could make me falter once again. Pretty determined to up my game.
>>
File: Finished.png (33 KB, 187x178) Image search: [Google]
Finished.png
33 KB, 187x178
>>668625
Didn't try any of those.
I wanted to be an astronomer.
Fuckin' space science is so cool, but calculus? When all the studying, tutors, and flash-cards can't help you pass a single test or exam- on your third attempt at the class- you gotta throw in the towel.
>>
File: TheGreyGardenMemories.jpg (124 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
TheGreyGardenMemories.jpg
124 KB, 640x480
>>668625
You don't try to be any of these. You either are an artist, have to create just as much as you have to breath and drink to prevent imploding, or you are not an artist.
>>
File: quit.jpg (18 KB, 176x255) Image search: [Google]
quit.jpg
18 KB, 176x255
>>668625
I tried to make video game stuff, but gave up because everyone's demands from my work are too unreasonable for me to handle. I can do the work, but shit, nothing I ever make will ever be good enough for anyone, apparently.

I also tried drawing but just can't stick with it. My own expectations get in the way, I look at even pretty bad fursmut and think "I could do that" and then I try to and get something not bad in pencil but stop there because I don't have any way to finish it digitally so it looks as good as typical other fursmuts
>>
>>672328
What naive thinking you have.
>>
I've tried to write music before, but I never seem to get any inspiration. The longest piece I've written barley made it to 16 bars.
Most damning of all is that I understand a descent amount of music theory, how songs are structured, and I can recreate nearly any sound with a synthesizer.

The few actual songs that I've thought up came to me in the middle of swim practice, and I aways forget them by the time practice is over and I have access to paper.

I can write fairly well, but I don't because I don't have the time, or someone else beat me to the punch (honestly, a few years ago I was going to write a Fallout/MLP crossover because I loved FO:E, but then I realized that I would have to write either a phenomenal story or write something longer than FO:PH to even stand out.)

The one thing I do have going for me is that I'm really fucking good at math or really anything STEM related.

I mostly let my artist talent out on planes in Kerbal or small hobby programming projects.
I'm currently really proud of this: imgur.com/gallery/1wqeR
>>
File: 1444328412368.jpg (83 KB, 361x631) Image search: [Google]
1444328412368.jpg
83 KB, 361x631
>>668625
Making music, movies, cartoons and other shit like that is the only reason I'm alive. I want to do it so badly. I've already failed my first semester of college and I am willing to give it a second chance but I still feel like those pieces of the puzzle need to be found. As of now I'm in a shitty band with some friends of mine but we haven't recorded jack-shit and we've been here since September and they get pissy when I talk about my other intentions. Fuck.
>>
>>675028
>The longest piece I've written barley made it to 16 bars.
>Most damning of all is that I understand a descent amount of music theory, how songs are structured, and I can recreate nearly any sound with a synthesizer.

You need to listen to a lot of music. A LOT more. And everywhere. If you really want to connect your ideas, you need to be inspired by other artists every moment you can. Buy music, go to local concerts (or clubs if you're into electronic), watch tutorials on YT, talk with friends, everything.

I say this because it seems you understand how music works, but you lack enough inspiration.
>>
File: 1435867811695.png (231 KB, 304x366) Image search: [Google]
1435867811695.png
231 KB, 304x366
>>668940
You'll make it, one day. All it takes is that one big break, it could be right around the corner.
>>
File: 1441657714993.jpg (39 KB, 630x443) Image search: [Google]
1441657714993.jpg
39 KB, 630x443
>>670001
>I wanted to be ap[omsdfds,rfv.zc#[/xt-k][p

FTFY
>>
>>668625
>musician
I took violin classes but was forced to dropped out due to insufficient funds because my friend and family kept asking me for money. I still wondered how good I would've been if I still had the money for it.
>>668701
Does never attending college due to fear of failing and wasting mines and everyone's time counts?
>>
>>668625
I just play music as a hobby. Got a real job for moniez
>>
>>675848
>Does never attending college due to fear of failing and wasting mines and everyone's time counts?

I wouldn't say so, as long as you feel comfortable with your life and what you make of it.
However, if you think you have it in you to make it through college, and a vision of what you'll do with your degree, I'd go for it.
>>
>>675539
I get what you're saying, but I do listen to music nearly everywhere, and of several varieties too (Chiptune, Electroswing, Eurobeat, House, DnB, Retrowave).
The problem is I get the wrong kind of inspiration.
When listening to Red Army Choir, I had a idea for a funny animation (only finished the storyboard), when listening to Retrowave, I had a idea for a awesome mothership to build in Kerbal, for Eurobeat I made a airplane that tokyo drifts, DnB I made a analog synth.

Making music just isn't one of my strengths, compared to anything else I do.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.