[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Good PAKs Bad PAKs
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /toy/ - Toys

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 12
File: maxresdefault.jpg (59 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
59 KB, 1280x720
I know that people here look down upon PAKs, but I wonder we could have an honest thread about which PAKs are absolute dogshit and which PAKs are passable, because whether you like it or not PAKs do have a bit monopoly on some character selection. The only PAK I have is Bayonetta and she's not that bad.

So currently there a couple of PAKs that caught my eye, and it's hard to ask for honest recommendation when PAK general always get shot and shitposted to death.

- DMC PAKs, DMC4 Dante/Nero and DMC3 Dante/Vergil
-Vanquish Sam Gideon
-Variant "Oni" Predator
-"Spitter" Alien
-KH Cloud (the one with wings)
-Diablo armor Monster Hunter

Thinking of maybe buying one or two from above. Anyone want to share an experience, or just say which PAKs are passable (and which are dogshit, PAKs horror stories are also welcome)
>>
>>5766153
I have nothing from your list but I got in D-Dog from release and I guess since he's a dog its not too bad but one of his joints around the paw has gotten loose over time. I was surprised to see that his base needed to be built with screws to handle the claw to hold him and the point to move that claw but they offer a little tool to tighten it in. Not sure if that's the norm of PAK's or just D-Dog's case.

My only other experience was at a friend's place with the Peace Walker Snake's and even though the horror stories of the paintwork on humans did make me skeptical seeing those in person changed things. He also had a Jensen from Dues Ex and it wasn't half bad either.

The worst I saw and honestly it was expected was the Mass Effect Shepherd's face and Liquid Snake from MGS in my local comic store.

It really seems to vary figure to figure but sorry I can't provide more personal experience with the ones you wanted to see. I remember seeing both Dante and Virgil at another store but the high price tag sort of deterred me even though I'm a massive DMC fan. Oddly enough I never saw Gideon but the other Vanquish mechs being on sale for a while.
>>
MGR Raiden is pretty solid
>>
Generally speaking, masked/helmeted characters turn out better then the ones with faces. I only have 2 PAKs (Halo 4 Spartan Warrior and Halo 2 Chief) and they're both pretty solid.
>>
File: tali.jpg (37 KB, 499x665) Image search: [Google]
tali.jpg
37 KB, 499x665
Only 2 paks I own and I'm happy with both.
>>
>>5766153
I have vergil hes pretty nice but he doesnt scale well next to dmc3 dante which is bs
>>
I only have the dark knight rises Catwoman. Used to have more, but got rid of them because they're just too big to fit in with my other stuff.

The variant DC/Marvel figures are pretty good
>>
File: 20160701_024641.jpg (540 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
20160701_024641.jpg
540 KB, 1280x960
Just SPOILER 4U SPOILER
>>
>>5766153
>The only PAK I have is Bayonetta and she's not that bad.
Jeanne and Bayonetta make a nice complementary display and they both actually stand well if you can balance them just right even with the wacky proportions of the source material. I kinda wish we got Bayonetta 2 figures, specifically Bayonetta's new look and the young Balder but alas.

The DMC4 figures look better than the DMC3 figures with the former being closer to their FF paint treatments. That said, the pegs on DMC4 Dante's trigger hands can sometimes be a little too fat to fit in the guns properly (a QC issue since I've seen people without this problem). I think it's possible to just snip them off and have him wield the guns without the pegs but don't take my word for it since I have yet to try it myself.

Funnily enough, due to the DMC3 figures being more recently made, the engineering of their joints are actually better and they make for some pretty solid figures. Only thing that sucks is how Dante's scaling is just a few millimeters shorter than Vergil but this is easily negligible if you pose Dante on a slight slump (being that he's Dante and all). Also, as long as you find ones at a good price without too much airbrushing on their faces, I'd say they're decent.
>>
File: DSC_0616.jpg (299 KB, 1000x613) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0616.jpg
299 KB, 1000x613
Mass Effect MaleShep, worst PAK.
>>
I have the Black Widow variant and I'm really pleased with her. Deunan from Appleseed as well.
>>
>>5766153

DMC4 DANTE, FF13 LIGHTNING AND FANG are good

everything afterwards is shit. i own chun li and batman and their peanut joints ruin everything. my chun li is already falling apart. i made a thread about it a while back.

the old play arts are good before it become play arts kai
>>
Adam Jensen is pretty good.
>>
>>5767586
I have two PAK spartans and FFVII Vincent. I regret the spartans now.
>>
File: IMG_5509.jpg (989 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5509.jpg
989 KB, 1200x900
>>5766153
I had the DMC3 PAK's, and they were pretty decent. The Dante itself fell a little shorter than Vergil, but was otherwise solid. Virgil himself though was good in my eyes, both in looks and articulation.

I actually collect a sizeable variety of Play Arts Kai figures. My favourite being Solid Snake, Meryl, Deunan, and Briareos. But I also have figures from Street Fighter IV, Halo 4, Halo Reach, Batman v Superman, Assassin's Creed III, Final Fantasy X, Man of Steel, Metal Gear Solid V, Arkham Origins, and Arkham Knight.

I'd say out of all those the only true disappointment was the Batman of Arkham Knight, which is bizarre in the choices made to bring it to fruition. Otherwise, I quite like the figures I have, and aim to purchase more in the future.
>>
>>5772988
>MGSV

Dude Venom and Quiet were both bad
>>
Rorschach is good, as is Cyborg Ninja/Grey Fox.

I don't touch any PAKs with faces.
>>
File: IMG_4955.jpg (408 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4955.jpg
408 KB, 1600x1200
>>5772991
Venom no doubt. The sculpt is fine, but like Batman they made very weird decisions about the inner workings. The biggest offender for me being the awkward alignment of the shoulders, having one look to be set too deep into the torso, while the other is too far out. Quiet however I don't agree, I actually like hers.
>>
File: 0704161316.jpg (1 MB, 2988x3664) Image search: [Google]
0704161316.jpg
1 MB, 2988x3664
PA Kairi has fucking terrible articulation and weird flesh tones around her joints. Pulling off anything besides a neutral standing pose is a hassle due to her hard plastic skirt. Despite this she was the very first action figure in my collection, so sentimental value is high. I wish I didn't break her fucking leg.

PAK Solidus is absolutely intimidating in both stature and balance. The lack of a stand is a major con. The shading beneath his eye is a little too muddy, but he avoids the "stone face" that you see in some other PAKs. Solid sculpt all around and armor looks fantastic. Posing is extremely difficult due to his sheer weight. My first and only PAK, he has obvious flaws but I'm not too disappointed with my purchase.

Might get Gabranth when he releases. Their helmeted figures usually turn out better.
>>
>>5772999
Surprising how a much smaller and cheaper version made a better headsculpt of VS than PAK could.
>>
>>5767428
How bad are the racoon eyes on DMC3 PAKs in person?

Every pic I saw both Dante and Vergil had racoon eyes.
>>
i did it, /toy/, my holy grail, my Solid Snake Play Arts Kai fell of the shelf and broke its wrist joint. it snapped completely, with one piece still stuck in the hand itself.

what do? I'm thinking about getting a bootleg of him and replace the hand + the joint with the bootleg. but where do i get one?

any other ideas how to fix him?
>>
File: master chef.jpg (125 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
master chef.jpg
125 KB, 720x960
I'm quite happy with my Chief, despite a few gripes.

The knees are awful and there's some QC issues, but it's poseable enough
>>
File: IMG_20160629_141717.jpg (599 KB, 1080x1080) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160629_141717.jpg
599 KB, 1080x1080
I have 3 Street Fighters - Chun Li, Cammy and Sakura. The first 2 aren't great and had tons of defects, but Sakura was surprisingly good, with new ratcheting hips and no peanut knees.

I recently broke my PAK drought and got Fran on discount, since it doesn't look like she'll ever get any other figures. Quite pleased with her but the ratchet joints are a bit scary. They sound like plastic breaking. (It's not).

Still sad that she's fukehuge compared to some of my older FF Playarts.
>>
File: image.jpg (279 KB, 500x789) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
279 KB, 500x789
>>5778690
>>yuri snu-snu

Go on....
>>
File: 1465524137404.png (263 KB, 532x698) Image search: [Google]
1465524137404.png
263 KB, 532x698
>>5766491
the left leg on mine tends to pop out by just looking at it.

Besides that, its a great figure.

OWN:
Yuffie from Advent children
Cloud from FF7
Gabranth from FF12
Squall from FF8
>>
Someone posted a while back that their D-Dog came with two left ears, which is pretty funny.
>>
>>5778678
>PAK Solid Snake

Trash it, its shit anyway
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.