[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the point of figures?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /toy/ - Toys

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5
File: hIE1458735952.jpg (250 KB, 515x436) Image search: [Google]
hIE1458735952.jpg
250 KB, 515x436
What is the point of figures?
>>
>>5736952
Why do you feel happy when you get a figure of a character you like? Why do you desire a figure of a character you like?
>>
>>5736952

Gathering dust. Where am I going to gather all that dust if I have no figures?
>>
Semi-related.

Have you fuckers ever explored around that MyFigureCollection site? I genuinely never thought so many people would be collecting nothing but statues, Nendos, and miscellaneous weeb shit like key rings and cellphone straps and clear folders.
>>
>>5736956
Seriously though.

(OP, obviously) I am a collector myself with many figures. When I buy a figure I look at it for a while, usually carry it around the house with me to look at for a few days. Then I put it in my detolf, or display area, etc. Don't get me wrong, I still look at the figures, and get excited about them. But why? Why is this?
>>
>>5736967
Isn't that most of this board too (bar the clear folders and straps) ?
>>
>>5736967
>Have you fuckers ever explored around that MyFigureCollection site

I'm registered here so I can track all the japanese shit I pre-order or want, so yeah. Most weebs just like cute things and statues and don't care jack shit about action figures. I also own a few nendoroids and statueshit, but I collect figmas/figuarts/robots mostly.

>>5736970

It also happens to me, but in some rare occasions I revisit figures I haven't touched in years and they feel like something new. That's cool.
>>
They're representations of characters and drawings I like. Representations I can hold in my hand and see from any angle, in almost any pose. When I get tired of looking at them, I just change the post they're in.
>>
>>5737008
>drawings
Designs, dammit. Designs.
>>
File: image.jpg (60 KB, 600x191) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
60 KB, 600x191
>>5736970
Well at least in my case, the majority of my collection is stuff from my youth, things kid me wanted but never got, and stuff I've lost and now reclaimed. It basically a shrine to simpler times. To kinda go with what you're saying though, I experience that the most with figures that I never had an attachment to as a kid. I've got a pokeball sitting on my display that I constantly fiddle with because I had the same one when I was a munchkin. There's memories there when I look at it. Meanwhile, I get a figure of a character or franchise adult me discovered and the end result is like you described. A little fiddling and then it's forgotten hiding in a desk drawer or on a shelf. One in a while there's a spark of interest but nothing as strong as what I get with my childhood pieces.

Basically I just collect for nostalgia's sake.
>>
File: 1416709251603.gif (294 KB, 500x352) Image search: [Google]
1416709251603.gif
294 KB, 500x352
>>5736952
To make me distracted that I move closer and closer to death every day.
>>
>>5736952
fill the void in my empty meaningless life.
>>
>>5736952
To reach a point when figmas of Galko, Otako, and Ojou can be made.
Fucking when?
>>
>>5736952
They're fun! Fun to look at, fun to play with, fun to buy, fun to display.

OP, I have an HG vanilla GM. Now, lemme tell you, anyone who knows Gundam knows what a GM is. It's a simple, barebones grunt, a downgrade in all manners, even articulation, from any Gundam, and even every other existing GM High Grade. It comes with few accessories, and is a quick build by any measure.

Yet I love this guy. Of all my figures, I probably fiddled with this guy the most. He's simple and fun and I can't get enough of him. Jim! GM Jim, the dude who won the war but who nobody remembers. GM! The suit that carried the Earth Federation on its shoulders.

I got the HG Ball twin set and I find myself in the same deal. It's extremely basic but I freakin' love my Ball(s)! They're fun. My other figures are the same way. I regularly repose them, look at them, and appreciate them, because they all represent things I like and wanted to have, and now have. I'd love to get the GM II and GM III HGs when I get a chance.

Lego is a slightly different story but the principle is the same; it's fun.
>>
>>5736952
I like figures for the same reasons I like dogs:

They're fun, come in all shapes and sizes, are always ready to play with you at the drop of a hat, and THEY NEVER BETRAY YOU.
>>
>>5737274
>THEY NEVER BETRAY YOU
Who hurt you, anon
>>
>>5736952
Its something akin to buying an art piece.
Its something nice to look at and takes up way too much space for what its worth
>inb4 figures >art
>>
>>5736952

What is the point of anything?
>>
They are a tangible representation of a fictional character
>>
suffering
>>
>>5737361
But why
>>
>>5737616
why what
>>
>>5736952
Why do they prefer making nendos over figmas?
>>
>>5737276
Unsurprisingly to all, it was girls.
>>
>>5737660
I don't know but it fucking sucks.

I'd love a Galko-chan figma.
>>
>>5736952
because i actually like fun, unlike you it seems.
>>
>>5737666
Nice try satan. Everyone knows you fuck prepubescent boys exclusively.
>>
>>5736952
to manipulate a physical representation of a fictional character that you like; to play without role-play.
>>
>>5736967
I go there to look up figures like a wikipedia of sorts.
>>
>>5737660
my guess is they appeal to both genders and thus generate more funds
>>
>>5737660
I only own two nendos but I just want a figma that is good quality and has good, subtle joints. The only one that's interested me so far is the Prinz Eugen figma but it's probably been photoshopped to look so good.
>>
>>5736952
What is the point of existence?
>>
>>5737232
Likely never, anon. I ordered the oppai mousepad to help ease my grief.
>>
>>5737660
Because they sell more and are easier to make.
>>
>>5736952
A few people in the thread have already given the same answer i would have, but i have another question i'd like to add on to OP's.

Who here collects something for childhood nostalgia and who here collects things without any nostalgia factor to it?

I'm in the latter group and the things i collect these days are things i never even knew or probably even cared about as a kid, and i don't really have any kind of nostalgic motive for the figures i buy.
>>
File: Why_not_both-.jpg (14 KB, 228x221) Image search: [Google]
Why_not_both-.jpg
14 KB, 228x221
>>5738127
>Who here collects something for childhood nostalgia and who here collects things without any nostalgia factor to it?

Those aren't mutually exclusive, I buy figures of characters from recent shows and also ones from old shows I watched as a kid. The only thing that matters to me when buying a toy is that I like the character/figure.
>>
>>5737765
Kill yourself, roastie
>>
>>5739285
anon said it because he got 666. It's pretty idiotic for you to not realize this, isn't it?
>>
To have tangible reprsentations of your favorite characters, to appreciate the engineering and craftsmanship that goes into them, to fulfill the basic human desire to collect things
>>
>>5736952
I just like them. Is that ok or do I need a better reason? Pls validate me.
>>
>>5737660
They probably sell a lot better
>>
>>5737660
It's like POPs, they get to keep using the same base body mold and build onto that all the time. $$$
>>
>>5740439
>Is that ok or do I need a better reason?

That's the best reason anon.
>>
They're an outlet for imagination

Some days you think to yourself, "Hey, wouldn't it be cool if X did Y?" and using action figures, you make it so.
>>
joy.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.