[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why is GeeDub so afraid to license out for a high quality good
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /toy/ - Toys

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 9
why is GeeDub so afraid to license out for a high quality good Space Marine figure?
>>
>>5715869
>good
It might be that they are inept, OR it might be they are paranoid of losing sales from their core product.
I quit playing 40k when the first Dawn of War came out, I'm sure other people would quit if they could just buy nicely detailed, articulated versions of their favorites.
>>
>>5715910

...i doubt this, you cant really play the game with a single large action figure...
>>
>>5715917
Did someone say you were only allowed to buy one figure? Are you retarded?
Besides that, you know there are tons of people that buy and paint minis, but don't play, right?...
Use your brain OP.
>>
>>5715910
>I'm sure other people would quit if
>>5715917
>you cant really play the game with
It's like you failed to understand the post.
>>
>>5715869
GW is absurdly overprotective of their IP. The only reason they let devs make video games is because they can't do it themselves, and even then they demand they approve every singel aspect to make sure its true to the source material.

There are rumors that several big hollywood studios approached GW to make a 40k movie, but were turned down because GW knew they wouldn't be able to control the studios. So instead we got that horrific ultramarines movie.
>>
>>5715869
IDK. Probably because they're afraid of giving out their IP. I don't play the tabletop or buy minifigs, I like the lore and universe so I read books and play the vidya. I would be all over high detailed and articulated figures. They could shit out a good Space Marine mold and remold/repaint that for eons, plus troop building people would snap up enough for a squad. Even a mold designed for you to paint them yourself would likely sell like hotcakes. And that's just fucking Spess Marheens. IG and Xenos are just as lucrative.

>>5715941

To be fair there is an exceedingly high chance Hollywood would butcher 40k.
>>
I don't even play the game but I used to collect the minis because I liked the designs and painting them. I would buy a 6" marine if it was sold as a blank unpainted articulated kit.
>>
>>5715921
I stopped buying minis cuz they priced me out. Now I just work for a local gamestore, painting comission models.

not a bad job.
>>
>>5716131
I'd buy them, even if they just went the cheap route and gave us a couple colors AND a black unpainted one. The possibilities!
>>
>>5715941
>GW is absurdly overprotective of their IP. The only reason they let devs make video games is because they can't do it themselves, and even then they demand they approve every singel aspect to make sure its true to the source material.

That has not been true since a while. There's a ton of 40K games out since a couple years, most of them mobile shovelware.
>>
File: trump2_3556888b.jpg (141 KB, 620x387) Image search: [Google]
trump2_3556888b.jpg
141 KB, 620x387
>be GW
>have history of trying to simplify and mainstream your games
>geek culture becomes mainstream
>don't whore your brand 100% with movie and toy license deals
Sasuga, GW
>>
>>5717060
nice picture of your anus
>>
File: 1463166083065.jpg (100 KB, 486x806) Image search: [Google]
1463166083065.jpg
100 KB, 486x806
>>5717380
Don't be so jealous, anon-kun
>>
>>5717060
Too bad they just keep raising model prices and alienating their customer base.

I'd still play 40k if it wasn't so goddamn expensive.

I remember when I was 10 years old and first started playing a box of 20 Imperial Guardsman was 30 dollars.

Now it's 35 for 10.
>>
>>5717426
>jealous of a thing that spews feces
>>
>>5717441
>Hating on God-Emperor Trump

It's funny how so many white people hate him but all my black and gay friends love him.
>>
>>5717451
>I'm lying out my ass

Whites are the biggest fanboys he has, since he appeals mostly to neo-Nazis like Jin.

Bernie's gonna take money from Lars Ulrich and the rest of Metallishit to feed poor people, and you can't stop him.
>>
>>5717469
>He doesn't know about Milo Yiannopolis
>>
>>5717487
you mean that fake reporter who writes clickbait and is inferior to Hunter S. Thompson in every way? The fag who hates women because they don't have dicks? The queer who hates Zoe because "those 5 dicks she was merely accused of sucking, with no factual backing, could have gone in MY mouth!" Gamerhate supporter?

I know about him. He's a loser like every other conservative.
>>
Stop falling for it m8
>>
>>5717500
>bait

Nah, Trump supporters are really this insane. It comes from inbreeding, Christianity and their love of Hitler.
>>
>>5717492

/tumblr/ is a couple blocks down m8
>>
File: 1000150.jpg (291 KB, 1092x1275) Image search: [Google]
1000150.jpg
291 KB, 1092x1275
>>5717519
>>>/pol/
Your containment board misses you
>>
>>5717500
It's either bait or.... that inhuman trans clown looking thing with the super bright side shaved hair and the lipstick that lurks /toy/.

Either way you're right. I shouldn't be interacting with it.
>>
File: 107694769678.jpg (172 KB, 989x559) Image search: [Google]
107694769678.jpg
172 KB, 989x559
>>5717522
>>
>>5717522
>that inhuman trans clown looking thing with the super bright side shaved hair and the lipstick that lurks /toy/

so... Jin Saotome?
>>
File: EdGWawl.png (530 KB, 668x504) Image search: [Google]
EdGWawl.png
530 KB, 668x504
>>5717522
>that inhuman trans clown looking thing with the super bright side shaved hair and the lipstick that lurks /toy/
We have our own Chris-chan?
>>
>>5717526
>We have our own Chris-chan?

we've had one for years, see >>5717525
>>
>>5717521

Sure, but why are you here in the first place discussing toys? Don't you have to donate money to Bernie?
>>
>>5717531
Don't you have to fuck your sister and blame your lazy joblessness on "immigrants" to avoid taking personal responsibility for the fact you're a bum?
>>
>>5717525
No, even worse. Amazingly.

>>5717526
Kind of. I saw him in a "faces of /toy/" thread last year. Nobody believed it was real at first until he posted more pics. Then went on about how he likes to yell about trans rights and such.

But seriously the only way I can describe their appearance is a trans-hipster-raver-clown.
>>
>>5717536

Nope, got a job. Sister's married. Also not living in the USA, so I don't have a dog in your fucked-up race.

But feel free to show everyone here why you liberals are crazy degenerates.
>>
>>5716995
I think they are getting desperate to be honest. They gave up their war hammer fantasy license to get really heavily adapted into games like total war hammer that went far closer then past rts games to potentially replacing the tabletop. They of course had the replacement to whfb all set up in the form of sigmar, probably hoping all the more casual people coming into the franchise through the new video games being pumped out would enjoy the super streamlined setup. The fact they replaced their golden space marine statue with a friggin sigmarine statue shows how much hopes were pinned on this catering to mainstream audiences mindset. Obviously this is not going over too well.

They have a very single minded nature, over on /tg/ someone showed off some pages from a top level company book that is meant to only be seen by very senior managers. Some really crazy cult tier wording in what was shown off. It was insane.

But again they are getting desperate, and if that means them throwing out the license to everyone who asks to make a game of it so we get things like vermin tide, death wing, corsair, and so on, then that is great even if it means junk like that lane strategy game or poor eisenhorn getting mishandled on mobile has to occur.

>>5715941
Well they are making up for that by actually giving their official blessings to the lord inquisitor fan film coming out. Which is looking very promising, good voice talent and good animation work.
>>
>>5715869

Because they don't view it as their business or as part of their market.

If what one potential investor said is true, at least some in charge share a similar view point with people who play war games. If it comes as bare plastic, resin, or metal and needs to be assembled and painted it's fine. If it comes prepainted with little to no assembly required, it's considered a toy. Which is kind of funny considering that wargaming is basically glorified toy soldiers.

>>5718451

It's not being desperate, it's taking advantage of the only real thing they have to offer to make sweet royalty money and possibly hook some people onto their games or at least score book and models sales, their IPs.

Them giving up on Fantasy was entirely unrelated to the Total War game, it was seemingly because the game itself was not good for new players and was not bringing them in the money like 40k. I also don't think they really thought at all that they'd get a lot of people from their games actually checking out the tabletop.

The replacement of the space Marine statue was probably to show they were devoted to their new line. Not to mention the Space Marine statue was old and starting to show wear. They didn't even get rid of it, simply moved it inside to their museum/gaming area/store/bar.

The book shown on /tg/ was for people who worked as managers and is years old, it's not a top level company book by any means. All it really shows is that GW is at heart still a small company and has questionable sales person instruction which is seemingly par for the UK.
>>
>>5718479
Gave off the wrong intention, didn't mean to say total war hammer is the reason for them dropping fantasy, but that them dropping fantasy is the reason they were willing to allow something like total war hammer to occur. Apparently ca has asked about it quite a few times in the past, then gw let them go through with it, and considering how much time it takes for big decisions to be implemented before being announced to the public in most cases, they probably had sigmar planned out.

Dude, I would be beyond shocked if they outright trashed the old statue. I think I would label them as completely and totally heartless monsters of a company for that.
>>
>>5718510

It's possible that AoS is what made them give the go ahead on Total Warhammer. Been shown from some photos that AoS was probably in the works pre-2013.

If so it shows they know better than the fans of their games, you can't rely on video games to save something is that is quite different, particularly when the video game is the same or better in actual game terms.
>>
>>5715869
Some dude made some custom 1/6 space Marines a while back.
>>
>>5718654
Yeah seen that before, the dude is beyond boss. Shame he can never risk selling them.
>>
>>5715869
The reason we don't have any figures is because GW licensing is prohibitively expensive. They take huge cuts out of any profits. This can be workable with game publishers who sell a lot of units, but specialty toy companies would be hard pressed to make any money with the license.
>>
>>5715917
*cough*
>>
>>5717526
We have Jin, JemAnon, Greg, and SubjectAnon.
>>
>>5718998
I thought jin and subjecanon were the same person.
>>
>>5719006
My personal theory is that most of our trolls were originally a separate person but then swiftly snatched up by one or more trolls as yet another identity to use to piss people off.
>>
>>5719821
>implying everyone who cares about that shit aren't trolls too
as that thread that's currently a honey trap, it shows how they're all the same annoying shits.
>>
>>5718795

Technically I think you still need three Imperial Knights for them to function as a single army and its either really good or bad depending on the game type.

If I recall correctly, FW has an organization chart for the Horus Heresy which is basically a Titan plus some minor shit, but a Titan is both bigger and much more expensive than an Imperial Knight.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.