[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Please talk me out of it /toy/ These things are looking better
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /toy/ - Toys

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6
File: THR10179.jpg (35 KB, 752x564) Image search: [Google]
THR10179.jpg
35 KB, 752x564
Please talk me out of it /toy/
These things are looking better by the day, and I don't know why
>>
>>5710641

Look if you like it buy it. If you dont, don't.

Don't relie on the /toy hive mind to shape your opinion dude, buy what you like. There are plenty of 3a reviews and box openings on youtube to get an idea of what this shits like in hand.

Sage because I probably just wasted my time giving advise in a bait thread.
>>
I want one too, but I don't want to pay the 165 for them... what are the odds they'll shelfwarm and I can buy one for a sale price?
>>
>>5710641
>Please talk me out of it /toy/

It looks like hipstershit garbage and reeks of pretentiousness. Don't buy it.
>>
>>5711004
slim but possible.
>>
>>5711004
Not super great. most retailers only purchase enough 3A stuff to cover pre-orders.

The second series of those String Divers figures are basically impossible to find because of this.
>>
>>5710641

I can understand when it's one of their little slit eyed Astro Boy looking dudes with some makeshift random plated armor on their shoulder or their girl figures who are dressed like hipster photo shoot pages... or even their goofy Marvel ones, but this one...??? A pair of legs with a non cool looking gun on top... Why?

Are you a serial killer?
>>
It's 3A so it's 3-Automatically shit
>>
>>5710641
You're a 3A fan, which means you are already a lost cause. In fact, hope have left you for so long others sometime look at you and wonder, "Isn't it strange how a man can survive this long even when there's absolutely nothing that can save him from himself?"

Others will catch this thought and think, "I suppose there's just something he really likes. That's probably what sustain him," in return.

All this is to say, get it if you like it, but for the love of god, every time I see that, I can't help but laugh a little. They literally put a gun on the female's lower body and called it a day.

A GUN. ON A PAIR OF LEGS.
>>
>>5711772

I want to fuck it. I want to fuck that robot gun with sexy legs.
>>
>>5710641
Don't buy it. It would have been vastly overpriced if had cost half as much. There's some better stuff coming out over the summer, not to mention AP wave 2 has some great midget versions of classic figs.
>>
Why is 3A stuff so expensive anyway?
>>
>>5713592
"art"
>>
File: shadowv2.jpg (24 KB, 500x750) Image search: [Google]
shadowv2.jpg
24 KB, 500x750
>>5711647
It kinda grew on me. It looks better in real life or simply in movement though, since there's more willing suspension of disbelief to accept the design. We're always more critical with still images. Also maybe this is a weird reference to MGS4 geckos? 3A did a metal gear rex replica and Ashley Wood made some MGS comics, so it's possible.

Unrelatedly, anyone has this model and would care to show pics? there's awfully few of them on the web!
>>
File: latest.png (63 KB, 345x309) Image search: [Google]
latest.png
63 KB, 345x309
>>5711647

I would have bought one of them if I didn't think they were so over priced. I'm holding on to the distant hope one will pop up used at a price I'm willing to pay.

Seriously it's a wacky design not fucking hitler. It reminds me a bit of silent Hill and I've always had a thing for faceless figures.

If you legitimatly can't wrap your mind around people liking things you don't like I don't know how to help you.
>>
>>5712305
Well, see? You are a a piece of shit after all. For non 3A fans, everything they make falls on a spectrum ranging from "it's kinda cool, a little pretentious, but way to overpriced" to "wow, this is pretentious" to the "just why and they're charging HOW MUCH for it?"

This one definitely falls into the last category, so there really isn't much anyone could say.

Hell, it'd be more productive of you shared with us why it appeal tp you at all so at least we could tell you why we think your reasons are dumb or your aesthetics shit.
>>
>>5710641
>all flesh is fuk'd

Great idea from a 12 year old!
>>
>>5719844

So did you reply to the wrong person or?

>Hell, it'd be more productive of you shared with us why it appeal tp you at all so at least we could tell you why we think your reasons are dumb or your aesthetics shit.

Tldr so you want me to tell you why something appeals to me aesthetically so you can tell me why I have 'bad taste'? I was right, you're hopeless.
>>
>>5710641
This is a toy of a gun with legs.

Nigga what is wrong with you?
>>
>>5710641
doesn't 3a shit fall apart if you look at it funny and have floppy joints to start with anyways? Why bother. Buy a real toy.
>>
>>5720226
Okay, I'm sorry if I came off a little harsh. It's hard to distinguish between jabs and jeers sometimes.

My point was simply that while 3A fans really like their stuff, those who don't find it really hard to understand their appeal, especially when you consider the price of their figures. But it's alright. I honestly do not think any less of 3A fans and am genuinely interested in knowing why people like their figures. It's just that considering all this, a thread asking for opinions on 3A toys are bound to draw negativity.
>>
File: image.jpg (215 KB, 1200x1800) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
215 KB, 1200x1800
>>5725977

It's a pretty unique aesthetic and if you're a fan of Ashley Wood's art/comics work, it's pretty awesome to see some of his characters and even throwaway doodles come to life, like Lasstranaut. I think there's too many samey TKs and the bots have taken a bit of a dive in production values but there's still not a great deal of other toys like them.
They always look a little bit more 'hand made' than most other toys in the price range. They've got a lot of personality, they run the gamut from straight war figures to all-out fetish.
Personally, I think they could do with a general price drop; I love a lot of them but I couldn't really justify the money when they came out and I'm lucky if I find something I really want for a fair price in the aftermarket. I don't care for everything, though. The World's Best Robot line leaves me totally cold and I think the Dresden Fraus are ridiculous for the price.
>>
File: Untitled_3_00.webm (567 KB, 525x525) Image search: [Google]
Untitled_3_00.webm
567 KB, 525x525
Tangentially related to this thread, I sketched a Dropcloth in Tiltbrush.
>>
>>5720334

Nah the figures are good quality, the designs have just gone to shit
>>
>>5727435
fucking neato
now do a machine gun on hooker legs
>>
>>5726026
A few of the female figures did look pretty interesting, even if they didn't appeal to me much. I can agree with the hand made charm that they have as well and as for personality, yeah, that too and it's pretty easy to pick out a 3A figure from other toys at a glance.

As for price, that's my point exactly! If they were about 25-35 percent cheaper, I might be tempted enough to get one or two figures, but as is, they just don't appeal to me enough. I like some of their Adventure Kartel stuff like Hot Foot.

Funny how many points we actually agree on. Funnier still is the fact that I still fall on the the other side of the line in spite of that.
>>
>>5725977

Since this threads still bumping around I'll take a shot at explaining why I like 3a shit.

For one thing I rarely buy them new. %95 of the ones I own I got relatively cheaply by scouring ebay for good deals so the high price Is not such a big deal breaker for me. When you're paying $100 or less per fig you tend to think more highly of them. I also buy parts and broken figures to kitbash them together. You can mix and match 3a shit all day and it useally looks just fine.

As far as the characters wood has created or the 'lore' I ignore it completely. I buy based on what looks cool to me and that's it. It's actually kind of freeing to buy stuff from a line and not worry about completing any set or what's canon or anything like that.

Aesthetically? I've always had a thing for robots with very simple or inhuman faces. I also like the grimy rusty aesthetic 3a has in spades. I like 'been left out in the acid rain' look most of the bots have. The human figures don't really appeal to me as much but I did buy a isobelle pascha just because shes cute.

>>5732118
You know hotfoot and charfoot both routinely pop up on ebay for $100-$135. If you keep your eye on them they might gradually go down in price.
>>
>>5727467
May actually do this tomorrow.
>>
>>5732178
How big are the Kartel figures? You're actually making them sounds more and more tempting.
>>
>>5733159

Adventure kartel is 1/6th scale so about 12inches tall.
>>
>>5733159
>>5733310
Its adventure KarteJ you need to stylize the font like the great Ashley Woods
>>
>>5733159
>>5733310
Adventure Kartel figures actually comes in both 1/6 and 1/2 now (12" and 6" tall respectively), so make sure to double check before buying. Retail on the 6"ers is roughly 40~ish and goes up from there for more complex figures, retail on the 12"ers is about 120-ish and goes up from there likewise. Those prices usually increase on the aftermarket of course, but I'm telling you that so you know what a reasonable price is for each scale.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.