[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone ever worked at a Toys R Us? How was it? I'm thinking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /toy/ - Toys

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 1
File: toys-r-us-store.jpg (562 KB, 1000x627) Image search: [Google]
toys-r-us-store.jpg
562 KB, 1000x627
Anyone ever worked at a Toys R Us? How was it? I'm thinking of applying there for a summer job.
>>
Don't work there, but everything always seems lax.
>>
why does this thread get made every month, without the opening post changed at all?
>>
>>5680175
Work at a Trader Joe's instead. Better pay, better insurance, free food, and better weed hookups dog.
>>
>>5680211
It's been awhile since I've seen it. But you're on a toy board and surprised that people ask questions about working at a toy store?
>>
>>5680273
No, I mean this exact thread has been made, verbatim, multiple times before.
>>
>>5680175
I've put in apps there like crazy and yet to get a job at one. The app itself is one of the most ridiculously complicated ones I've put in for a place. There's a time questions portion etc.
>>
>>5680296
*timed questions portion
>>
>>5680296
Last time I applied, years ago, they wanted a credit check and would only schedule me Wednesday and/or Thursday overnight. That was a problem because I already had a Wednesday night shift elsewhere and the overnights would run right up to my day job at 8 AM. Plus they wanted a credit check and drug test for a $7/hr 8hr/week job. Meanwhile, they're in and out of bankruptcy because management at so many levels is on drugs and barely going through the motions of pretending to run a toy store.
>>
>>5680175
I applied and interviewed at one and it was a shitshow. Run by a couple pukes younger than me the were just fucking winging it. It's one of those jobs where it's so blatantly obvious nobody on the staff gives a fuck it hurts.
I assume, it's hurting TRU because that seems to be the same environment in every one I've ever been in no matter where it is.
>>
>>5680175
Do you like having to clean bathrooms full of diapers?
>>
>>5680332
>drug testing to work at toys'r'us

Shit. I worked for Disney and they didn't even drug test me.
>>
>>5680394
This. I worked there a couple years ago and the bathrooms and trash cans at that place were fucking disgusting. Also enjoy cleaning up child vomit.
>>
I worked at TRU as a cashier/sales jockey for two years. Worst job I've ever had. You get micromanaged out the fucking ass, but the people who have seniority over you don't do shit-all, so if you're hired, expect to have to do everything for everyone you work with for the first year you're there. This happened to every single employee who came through, especially the summer and holiday teenagers who needed the work. Customers are almost always total dicks, who either can't believe you don't have the exact stupid toy their shitty child wants, or are neckbeard Transformers collectors who want you to break street dates so they can look through product before it goes out on the shelf. Both these people will yell at you.

However, if you manage to get a stock/backroom job, you're on easy street. Those guys make twice as much (or more) than the sales people, and don't have to deal with customers at all. Our stock guys didn't do anything until like 4 o'clock, and corporate said that shit was fine.

Also, the employee discount is completely worthless because the company's ridiculous markup negates it entirely.
>>
>>5680493

What did you do with old stock that didn't sell

Please tell me you guys just chucked it and didn't have to send it back to HQ
>>
>>5680279
It's almost like Toys R Us is a huge, international chain store and new people are becoming old enough to work there as a first job every week!
>>
>>5680507
>old stock that didn't sell
Stock guys handled all that, but only after the store had bargain-binned the shit out of it for like 3+ months. Then they'd put it all on a truck and somebody drove it away. Probably to locations where it WAS selling.

It's product, anon. It doesn't just get put in the dumpster.
>>
Key carrying department supervisor here whose been at TRU since 2011. Ask me anything.
>>
>>5680765
How do you live with yourself having a retail job for five years? I didn't last a year before moving on from Whole Foods.
>>
>>5680717
Its almost like you didn't actually read what anon said.
>>
>>5680806
employers prefer people who are steady and can hold a job for that long.
>>
>>5680765
Are you a squirrel?
>>
>>5680806
Well they're a supervisor and it's probably a comfortable job. I'm in a similar situation in a similar field.
>>
>>5680765
What's it like having a job where you basically do nothing all day? Department supervisors seem to spend about 6 hours a day jerking off in their offices, 1 hour for lunch, 45 minutes wandering around the store, and about 15 minutes of real, actual, honest-to-God work.
>>
>>5680806
It's close to home and not a very difficult job.
>>
>>5680844
That sums up the majority of supervisors and honestly I could get away with it too if I really wanted to. I'll actually do shit cause otherwise I just get bored as hell. One of our assistant store mangers is the champion of not doing shit while pretending to look busy.
>>
>>5680461
that's because disney supports degenerates as it is there biggest customer base.
>>
>>5680296
It's because you were are probably overqualified. TRU hires from the bottom of the barrel, as they know anyone with half a brain realizes how shitty a workplace it is.

source: buddy who manages one.
>>
It really depends on the TRU, but retail has the potential to be pretty ass no matter where you go. Don't be a holiday seasonal. People suck the holiday cheer right out of you. Stick with summer shit.

ReShop is fucking bullshit. Especially the crap carts.
>>
>>5680856
>duh genie rat
>>
>>5680493
This guy knows.

the 10% discount is absolutely worthless
>>
>>5681924
Y'all only get 10%? Shiit, at Six Flags we get 35%, which helps offset the overpriced merch a little bit. And we can buy the giant toys they put up for the arcade games.
>>
OP here, after reading what you guys said I've decided fuck working at Toys R Us.
>>
>>5681924
>10% discount
They might as well give you those birthday cards as a discount, 10% might as well be $2
>>
>>5682243
The only reason I'd work at Toys R Us is to steal shit.
>>
>>5680332
Shit man, the one by my house must be slacking off on the drug testing then. My ex got a job there and he was high 24/7. Now that I think about it, I don't think they tested anyone ever since trying to talk to an employee about where to find something was like talking to a brick wall.
>>
>>5680211
>>5680273
>>5680826
Na, this.

There certainly aren't THAT many fucking people on /toy/ who genuinely come to /toy/ asking for advice while thinking about working at Toys R Us that upcoming summer.

I mean how many of you fuckers are out there?

No, the first few times I saw this thread I thought it was genuine; now I'm chalking it up to some kind of troll job or whatever.
>>
This one time I was at a toysrus and I showed up super early, and the boss was making these employees do laps around the store or some shit while showing them all the different sections, like he was a fucking drill sergeant or something. Maybe not the best place to work
>>
>>5680175
>working at Toys R Us
>apply for a summer job
>SUMMER JOB
What are you, 15? Get a full time job like everyone else and come shitpost here once you get off work
>>
>>5680175
I'd go against working at a shitty chain that involves your hobby. It will drain it right out of you.
Do what >>5680214 said and find some healthy eating grocery store that pays decent or something like Costco.
>>
>>5680722
Probably outlet shops or thrift stores. Goodwill gets Target's old toys. Wouldn't be surprised if Toys'r'us set their stuff off to Ross.
>>
>>5683265
A friend of mine worked as their markdown guy for awhile. Stuff will sit forever at full price, go straight to like 80% off, and disappear.
>>
>>5680175
DONT DO IT BRO
NO BRO
BRO
SHITS BAD
UNDER PAYEAND SHIT SON
>>
>>5682254
>>5682219
>>5681924
>10% discount

Christ. That barely even covers fucking sales tax in most states.
>>
>>5684435
where I've lived, it's always been 7% sales tax...so..

3% off. fuck. that's garbage.

if it was maybe 20% off for employees, I could swallow the pisspoor pay.
>>
>>5683178
inb4 he IS 15
>>
>>5684440
Actually, TRU's markup on all of their non-company-branded product is at least 20% above their competitors (entirely their bullshit "we ALWAYS have the toy you're looking for, unlike those toy-hating FUCKS at TARGET or WAL-MART" marketing), so you're not getting any kind of "discount" until about 35%+ off, really.

Toys R Us is shithouse.
>>
>>5684444
>their bullshit "we ALWAYS have the toy you're looking for, unlike those toy-hating FUCKS at TARGET or WAL-MART" marketing

This has always killed my sides, because they almost never have what I'm looking for. They advertise like they're some sort of exclusive warehouse who only carries the rarest/best toys, and that their jacked up prices are because apparently nobody else sells toys, but the truth of it is that 9 times out of 10 they'll have the same shelfwarming bullshit as the local Meijer or K-Mart.
>>
>>5680175
My first real job, and I loved it. The people I worked with (not management, co workers), were amazing. Granted, this was almost 20 years ago. I'm sure it has changed since then. And yes, the bathrooms are disgusting. Ever changed a bin full of used tampons? It is not pleasant. The worst were the hot wheels collectors, always asking for you to go in the back for stuff.
>>
>>5684444
>Actually, TRU's markup on all of their non-company-branded product is at least 20% above their competitors
This isn't true at all.
Target, WalMart, and TRU all sell their MLs at $20. Their MU figures are all $12. The two packs are all $20 (TRU is having a sale right now where they're $16).
Collector toys are all MSRP as well.
>>
>>5685642
My targets and walmarts sell MLs at 19.99, target was trying it at 21.99 for a while. My TRU was selling some of the MLs for 24.99 a few years back when new ones would come in- went down to 21.99 durign a few of their sales- and have had that specific sale you are talking about due to clogged peg warmers. Walmart and Kmart were the only two doing 19.99 out the gate for a long while. The peg warmers have made them do large clearance sales - but only after like two or three months of the same figures being there for weeks.
>>
>>5685673
I remember when WalMart and Target used to price their toys below MSRP AND have sales too.
Seems like toys are priced at the absolute minimum now.
>>
>>5680493
>However, if you manage to get a stock/backroom job, you're on easy street. Those guys make twice as much (or more) than the sales people, and don't have to deal with customers at all.

This tbqh.

I've worked for TRU for almost 8 years now. I started out as a sales associate during the holidays but got hired on as a part time cashier/stocker/whatever they asked me to do. It was a decent job for a teenager. I eventually made it to overnight stock crew where I worked part time for a few years during the summer and after I graduated HS. It was great for me cause I was the only person who "collected" toys so I honestly got to put aside anything I wanted for years.

I still work there to this day but it's seasonal. I work in the backroom putting together bikes and displays from March to September. I sometimes will work out of season if they need me. The manager of my store was an assistant manager when I first started and we've remained friends since then. It's a good job cause I have to deal with no bullshit managers or customers. I have a list of stuff to assemble every day I come in and just go in and put them together.
>>
>>5680175
I've been working there as an associate for three years now. Like any retail chain, it will have its hits and misses.
Where I am the company is hurting and cutting shifts to the extreme, which sucks because I need full time work. So you might not be guaranteed to get hired. However, when things were good I found they were very accommodating to my schedule. People who work there tend to be pretty chill as are most of the customers, but as with anywhere else, you're going to get a good sum of customers from hell. Upset pregnant ladies aren't the funnest to deal with.
My biggest issue with working there is that selling warranties is largely what determines how many shifts you get and if you get to keep working there. Even the nicest managers get cranky if you don't sell enough, so be ready to practice your inner salesman if you want to be known as a good employee.
Also if you haven't lost all interest in Christmas already, working there will sap whatever charm is left in your heart for it.
Overall it's... just another retail chain. If you think you'll like it, go for it.
>>
>>5680765
Fuck you faggot - WorlsSalesLeader here unleas you enjoy shitty hours with minimal discount and having absolutely no free tome on chriatmas holiday the apply but if tou have a thing for not be able to play with any of the toys and look at sexy married women all day by all p
Means captain
>>
>>5680175

I used to work at KB Toys. It was pretty decent except during the crazy Christmas season. I pretty much just got paid in toys though.

I got promoted to manager after I found out one of the old managers had stolen a Game Boy and some games.
>>
They pay less than the commute and the interviews are usually GROUP interviews, its lame.
>>
>>5680214
Work at Trader Joes can confirm, best job ever.
>>
>>5680493
As someone who works as a morning stocker, I can tell you that we make the same amount of money as a cashier. Minimum wage.
>>
>>5682269
Even then, it would probably be too expensive.
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.