[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've been into comics for a long time and a few months ago
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /toy/ - Toys

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 22
File: 54503_transformers.jpg (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
54503_transformers.jpg
2 MB, 1920x1080
I've been into comics for a long time and a few months ago I was accidentally given a transformers comic with my order. I read it anyways because I was wondering how bad it'd be but I actually enjoyed it. Fast forward and I'm actually way into the comics and I want to get some of the toys for my shelf (and totally to not play with). I know you guys probably like transformers so I thought I'd ask here. I was looking for toys that look more like the blocky old school ones but have good posability and stuff. I'm mainly interested in the robot mode so as long as that's good I'm happy. Price isn't too much of an issue either. Sorry for blathering on, just thought it's better to be clear about what I'm interested in.
>>
File: Revoltech.jpg (335 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
Revoltech.jpg
335 KB, 1024x576
There's a handful of smallish non-transforming guys from Revoltech.
Masterpiece Transformers are large and expensive but the main focus of the line is old-school looking but still transformable.
>>
You want either Takara master piece bots or third party master piece bots.
>>
>>5671148
Question.

Why does everyone always assume Transformers related stuff is bad? I'm a lifelong fan so I don't get it. I'm super curious though.
>>
>>5671207
Because the most recent movies sucked, and there's some stigma about media based on toys and since modern cape comic fans have never heard of stuff like Micronauts or ROM they buy into it. Plus the IDW comics being as good as they are is kind of an anomaly.
>>
>>5671212
Basically yeah, all I knew about was the movies and they weren't great. Plus the robots look ugly.
>>
>>5671212
I'm catching up on all the latest comics from the last few years. I found a website where I can read them all free that's pretty good.

I like the MTMTE series but it can be a bit too jokey and randumb sometimes. Tailgate is pretty cute though. I mean that in a non pervy way. I can't believe I have to clarify that these days.
>>
>>5671204
Is that guy a Masterpiece? He's one of the Dinobots isn't he? Called something like Slag?
>>
>>5671216
See this is what I was saying all these years about Michael Bay ruining the franchise. I'd have people tell me, but it's making money! Yeah and dragging the series name through the mud.

I used to be able to wear a shirt with an Autobot logo on it and people would be like, ayyye yeah Transformers. Now people associate it with Bayformers. I hate it.
>>
>>5671219
I believe he's one of those third party "Masterpiece" figures. Not official but some of them are excellent quality and sometimes the only way to get a toy of that character.
>>
>>5671222
Not official? Really? Wow.
>>
>>5671217
I like the Shattered Glass universe! But I don't think they make toys of that, or do they?
>>
I have an additional weird question are there combiners that are in scale with the "Masterpiece" figures?
>>
>>5671219
That'll be Fans Toys Scoria, their version of Dinobot Slag. Thy're doing all 5 for of them are out and their Grimlock should be out by years end.

Like >>5671222 said depending on what you want you'll need to go 3rd party. If it's a popular character the official line will probably get round to it at some point with some notable exceptions.

If it's something less common like head or target masters any Dinobot not named Grimlock any combiner, or anything where the real world license holder is difficult to get the license for then 3rd party is your best hope.

Though there is some overlap between the 2.
>>
>>5671257
There's a few where the individual limb bots are about the same size in Robot mode as Masterpiece figures. The combined forms are more in scale with the smaller classic figures.

The closest one would be Toyworld's version of Devastator.
>>
>>5671255
They do but it's mostly exclusives.

They're all recolors and slight remolds though.
>>
>>5671148
>I was looking for toys that look more like the blocky old school ones but have good posability and stuff. I'm mainly interested in the robot mode so as long as that's good I'm happy.

You're looking for the Masterpiece line then. Start with MP-10, which is Optimus Prime. MP-28 Hot Rod is amazing too. Most anything past MP-10 is pretty good, though some have some issues so check up on anything that interest you once you have a gander.

>Price isn't too much of an issue either.

You also might want to check up on some 3rd Party figure as well then besides just the oficial Masterpiece line. Hexatron in particular is an amazing 3P toy by Mastermind Creations.
>>
File: dee jay dee.jpg (113 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
dee jay dee.jpg
113 KB, 960x720
>>5671148

Aside from blocky old school, which characters are you interested in? Many characters or designs are sadly comic only with no official toy to go with them, especially the modern run. Some are being covered by Third parties though. From Dream Wave to IDW, across all size classes.

Otherwise for big and blocky look at the MPs and third party MP style releases.
>>
File: M-01-Stunticons-02.jpg (109 KB, 1023x739) Image search: [Google]
M-01-Stunticons-02.jpg
109 KB, 1023x739
>>5671257

There aren't many that can do the size correctly, and none of which are styled in the same manner. The best you can get are MP car sized robots that combine but aren't of the same style as the official MPs. Either CW Devestator or Toyworld is the closest, but one has a number of shortcomings and the other is big via a huge fucking ass partsforming, but again the difference in aesthetics is night and day. Pic related is an IDW designed Stunticons where Motormaster is the same size as MP Prime, but again the aesthetics are different. There's been a recent surge in unofficial IDW style figures in scaled similarly to how the MP line is though. I think there is a Jazz, Prowl, and Prime in the works on top of the stunticons here.
>>
>>5671701
Ultra Magnus is my favourite. I also like that big combiner. Devastator. I also like Grimlock.
>>
>>5671862
Oh and I think the insecticons and Starscream are pretty rad.
>>
File: mags.jpg (442 KB, 1910x530) Image search: [Google]
mags.jpg
442 KB, 1910x530
>>5671862
>>5671887

You've got a few options for all of those. I guess I'll start with Magnus. There's a combiner Wars/ Unite Warriors Magnus and an MP Magnus that's recent. You can score an upgrade kit for the CW Magnus that fixes a few issues and adds a few things. Plus he comes a Minimus stand in if you like his IDW take. The unite warriors version is better painted and comes with an Alpha Trion stand in instead, but also has an upgrade kit for it too. The MP is good match for the G1 cartoon but is lacking a little bit of range on his articulation thanks to his bulk. There's a pocket sized Legends Magnus by iron factory that's one of the best articulated dudes in the size class, plus he comes with a million weapons. Any one of those are great. Pic related has all of those mentioned and the CW/UT one with the upgrade kit.
>>
File: PICS.jpg (195 KB, 977x1920) Image search: [Google]
PICS.jpg
195 KB, 977x1920
>>5671887

On the official side of things the best you have for Insecticons are small legends figures, and kickback is still MIA in the size class. They're pretty cool, but you have three companies that have done MP style Insections, plus fansproject who did some ninja themed take on the trio, and deluxe insection remolds. Badcube's are fun, stumpy, and playable. Fanstoys are proper MPs, and Ox Max minimize and hide the bug leg kibble where possible to be sleek. Not pictured are the ninja insections and Hasbro's legends.
>>
File: Predaking.jpg (468 KB, 1113x1535) Image search: [Google]
Predaking.jpg
468 KB, 1113x1535
If money is truly not a problem, and you happen to like combiners, Feral Rex (aka not-Predaking) is probably the best 3rd Party combiner around.
>>
File: grimlocked.jpg (96 KB, 1400x905) Image search: [Google]
grimlocked.jpg
96 KB, 1400x905
>>5671862

Grimlock has a number of official releases, including the G1 Masterpiece, classics update, and Generations one inspired by the game, but looks dopey. Similar to Devastator, there's a third party Dinobot war spanning multiple styles and size classes. There is a larger KO MP Grimlock for starters. Some are G1 styled like Toyworld and Gcreations, but are part of a combiner. Planet X Vulcan is probably the best Grimlock this side of MP but it is basically an actual good Generations Grimlock inspired by the game. Fansproject is an updated take with minicon sledgehammers and chainguns. Fanstoys Grinder is basically a bigger and badder MP. There's a Legends build kit from Warbotron designed by Iron Factory, and a painted, upscaled KO on the way. Iron Factory are doing a legends scale War Within Dynobots, and Spark Toys are doing MP sized War Within Designs. You also have a few chibi options as well with Tiny Rex and Dr. Wu.

Pic related is FT Grinder. I don't have the latest Dinobot mega chart that lists them all. I think the best of note is the MP, the KO MP, FT Grinder, Planet X Vulcan, Iron Factory's legends set, and Spark Toys WW, and maybe the KO Warbotron one. Only the first three are G1 focused. The combiners have problems IIRC.
>>
>>5671862

Devastator has a Combiner Wars and Unite Warriors release, but they are budget toys and cut corners, but they're mostly G1 accurate and big. In the case of the Hasbro release some lack elbow articulation. In the realm of third party there were wars fought over combiners, plus upgrade kits for the CW release TFC Hercules was the first and does the tread arm look, Maketoys Giant diverges from the robot mode look but is dynamic though smaller despite its name, Generation Toy is very similar to giant but larger and focuses on vehicle mode detailing, Toyworld Contructor is mostly based around G1, is the largest, and has the best articulation for a combiner but to do this it relies on partsforming the combiner waist, head, and arms that are nothing but extra pieces that sit off to the side. Dx9 Hulkie is a pocket sized Devestator which is the most G1 accurate of all and doesn't partsform.

Pic related is Toyworlds holding up Giant. I personally went with Generation Toy and owned Herc and Giant at one point. You have a ton to pick from if you have the cash to drop.
>>
>>5671906
>>5671899
>>5671926
>>5671941
Thanks for such comprehensive answers. I have a lot of awesome stuff to look at now!
>>
File: screamer.jpg (28 KB, 400x383) Image search: [Google]
screamer.jpg
28 KB, 400x383
>>5671887

For Screamer you'll want the latest version of the MP mold. There was a previous version that is in the wrong colors and has "cool hip kibble" because the designer was fucking stupid. There are a decent number of legends scale and the classic deluxe as well. If you wait, there's a new MP style one in the works from Maketoys but we don't have anything but a teaser. The MP has a few niggles that rubs people like me the wrong way, but the jap version has the coronation kit. All the other ones aren't G1 based though there are a number of them that are great regardless like the movie/prime/FoC ones.
>>
>>5671951
>the designer was fucking stupid

Don't you fucking talk about Kawamori that way. The hip kibble was meant to give his legs a more aerodynamic look.

also you forgot to mention the Hasbro version of that MP Starscream actually holds together better, even though it lacks the coronation gear.
>>
File: image.jpg (355 KB, 1200x1600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
355 KB, 1200x1600
Youre all fucking idiots,

He said hes into the comics... noone shows off the comic figures?
>>
File: image.jpg (29 KB, 293x501) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
29 KB, 293x501
I bought my briefcase off a 3d printing webstore
>>
>>5672021
>>5672022
I just started reading MTMTE and I gotta get soe of these. Is there an official Tailgate?
>>
File: FukThaPoeleese.jpg (504 KB, 1357x1797) Image search: [Google]
FukThaPoeleese.jpg
504 KB, 1357x1797
>>5672651

Yeah, but he's an okay-ish at best Legends figure. Theres a good 3rd Party one, but it's around $50 or so.

Swerve has a decent official Legends fig though, and he's still pretty cheap.
>>
File: TitansReturn.jpg (320 KB, 1182x1018) Image search: [Google]
TitansReturn.jpg
320 KB, 1182x1018
>>5672651

Oh, and theres going to be a new Brainstorm figure in a few months, along with a new Chromedome and a few others.
>>
>>5672651

And because I'm a retard and keep forgetting to add more info before I post because it's late:

Legends are tiny figures, around 4" or so, Deluxe are around 6", Voyagers around 7", Leaders around 9"

The ones here >>5672689 that are just labeled "Titan Masters" are just heads, not full figures. Also most of the sculpts and paint jobs are based off G1 figures, since thats what sells, though sometimes you get IDW style designs too. Theres a Voyager Megs coming up thats supposedly based more off the IDW one, for example.
>>
File: 1.jpg (129 KB, 1024x788) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
129 KB, 1024x788
>>5672651

Yes but it isn't that great. You probably want to spring for Maketoys Manga Mech guys. Not cheap, but its a damn good likeness.
>>
>>5671255
You're cancerous. Shattered Glass is shattered garbage, and it only exists to make $40-80 convention exclusives that have wrong coloured faction logos

The good news is Funpub is dead so no more will ever be made
>>
Fuck third party. Don't pay $50+ for a 4" figure. Pay $15 shipped, tops. Don't be a fucking autist.
>>
>>5672736
We're on 4chan. Many are likely to experience anorexia from their hobbies.
>>
>>5672714
I could probably make do with the official Swerve but that 3rd party Tailgate is beautiful.

Is there a site I can buy him from?
>>
>>5672689
A new Brainstorm? I thought the current one looked great. How's this one gonna top that?
>>
>>5672929
It's a blur retool to not waste money.

Deluxe.
>>
File: 1427210722195.gif (446 KB, 280x153) Image search: [Google]
1427210722195.gif
446 KB, 280x153
>>5672651
>I just started reading MTMTE
>>
>>5672929
Simple, it's not.
>>
File: tailgate.jpg (103 KB, 466x694) Image search: [Google]
tailgate.jpg
103 KB, 466x694
>>5671217
>I like the MTMTE series but it can be a bit too jokey and randumb sometimes.

You may very be the only sane IDW TF fan on this entire site. I was going to shitpost ITT but your refreshing honesty has stayed my bait.

>>5671255
Most of it is made of repurposed toys:
http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Transformers:_Shattered_Glass_%28toyline%29

>>5672714
I really wish that IDW's Tailgay design hadn't taken off.
>DUDE THICK THIGHS ON A GUY LMAO
>>
>>5672929

Ignore >>5672999 and >>5673003 and form your own opinion on it. They're just trolling faggots leaking in from the TF general.

Here's a pic of what the new Brainstorm's going to look like roughly. Colors will be different in the regular release, this is a special box set with him+Sentinel+Windblade with his upcoming Deluxe sized toy.
>>
File: TRBoxSet.jpg (127 KB, 800x531) Image search: [Google]
TRBoxSet.jpg
127 KB, 800x531
>>5673173

Fuck, forgot the pic because I'm a retard. Here it is.
>>
>>5672925

TF Source, Big Bag Toy Store, and probably a few others. I usually search around a few sites as someone usually has a lower price, but BBTS is pretty good for a lot of things in my experience.
>>
>>5673174
Oh, well shit. He doesn't look that bad. I wanted to get Blurr too and was afraid there wouldn't be a big enough of a difference between them but he looks alright.
>>
>>5671217
I've been reading MTMTE too and while I guess I like it the silliness puts me off, there's a ton of gay which I don't really mind but man is it offputting sometimes, and there's only like three personalities between every character and every speaks the same.
>>
Is the guy who did those big write ups earlier still around? I'm not op but it'd be cool to see a shockwave one.
>>
File: shocky.jpg (206 KB, 1920x1038) Image search: [Google]
shocky.jpg
206 KB, 1920x1038
>>5677056

Shockwave has 3 decent G1 MP options. The official MP goes for cartoon accuracy, a smart hose solution, and an integrated transformation, but is smaller and thin. Fanstoys Quakewave and Cloud 9 Quakeblast are larger and more or less toy based, plus feature articulated fingers on their hands. People swear by Quakewave and haven't tossed him aside since the MP landed, and Quakeblast reported to be pretty good and significantly undercuts both cost wise despite how swole he looks. You have to find the one that suits your fancy. Or hell the G1 toy is still cool if you can find it.

In the realm of other things: There is a recent combiner Wars/UT legends class built so combiners can hold him like a gun and he's awesome despite the grip not fitting a ton of Transformers due to the handle design. Animated Shockwave is a crazy toy if you like the style thanks to being a quad changing infiltrator with a second fake robot and alt mode disguise. Prime Shockwave has a pretty awesome Voyager and Commander scale as well. The Movie voyager is fairly good too, unlike his appearance in the movie itself...Plus there is Alternators Shockwave and Eneregon Shockblast, WST, etc.

There is also a deluxe Fall of Cybertron Shockwave who is nice but tiny and anorexic. There's a third party version upscaled and beefed out with no hollowness from Second Chance. Back before MMC hit its stride they made a massive Hearts of Steel Steamboat Shockwave with a lil' shocky minisub minicon, but that thing is display only with too many fragile tabbing bits and hindered range on the joints. Fansproject has a small rifle shockwave that came with their second release of the colossus add ons for ROTF Bruticus. Custom robots made a non-transforming revoltech styled Shockwave as well.

There's also a KFC's Mugen scope remold but the plastic pretty much crumbles in your hand going by the other releases.
>>
File: one is not blot the other.jpg (63 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
one is not blot the other.jpg
63 KB, 800x533
Also forgot to add there is a model kit from Warbotron that comes with a weapon kit for their Bruticus. Since there is no paint and there are tolerance issues with the thighs I would stay clear of it.
>>
>>5680371
You're a legend. Thanks man.
>>
>>5671220
Do bayformers actually use the logos?
>>
>>5681693
Yeah, it's usually at their crotch area like underwear branding
>>
>>5671220
>Now people associate it with Bayformers

I think you're autistic anon
>>
>>5680379
Why is blot included in this pic?
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 22

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.