[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
McFarlane - "Order our shit and yknow, well, maybe we'll
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /toy/ - Toys

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5
File: 146197401382908.png (362 KB, 657x453) Image search: [Google]
146197401382908.png
362 KB, 657x453
McFarlane - "Order our shit and yknow, well, maybe we'll include that articulation thing you keep crying about, to some degree, later on in development, if you're lucky and our profit expectations still allow it"
>>
>ordering shit before you konw what the production figure will look like
preordering is for tards only

So which stores will be carrying McFarlane's stuff anyway? Target and Walgreens still will, right?
>>
Why has MacFarlane toys always avoided articulation after their first few waves of spawn stuff? Is it that expensive? Do they think statues are for mature collectors or something?
>>
>>5639154
McfArlane only avoids articulation based on how obvious the joint will be.

That said, they seem to be as articulated as their Halo figures. How many PoA it will have, we really won't know, since McFarlane only counts the joints and not the actual points of articulation. So the revoltech-type joints they've used in the past they count as just one, despite the fact it has 3 PoA.
>>
It's kind of sad to watch McFarlane struggle like this. I used to buy so many of their toys years and years ago.
>>
File: samurai-spawn-1.jpg (354 KB, 1400x1800) Image search: [Google]
samurai-spawn-1.jpg
354 KB, 1400x1800
>>5639154
Its sad, because the best of McFarlane stuff has some of the most pleasing articulation I've ever handled on a figure. even in comparison to modern Hot Toys and Japanese figures. It's that nice.

Anyway in the hey-day of McFarlane's popularity articulation was still a niche thing, considered a gimmick a lot of the time. The main thing 90's collectors looked for in a toy was usually sculpt and paint, because both things where so lacking in contemporary figure McFarlane's stuff was very impressive. They sort of rested on their laurels while Toy Biz quickly reshaped what we consider collector's toys.
>>
>>5639384
Is this for real?
Did collectors really not care about articulation at one point?
Even when i was little i can remember myself trying to find joints on a figure through the packaging before deciding if i wanted it.
>>
>>5639604
you got to realize back then if a collector wanted a figure, it was an expensive statue or a toy with low articulation and VERY poor sculpt. McFarlane decided figures of his omic stuff wasnt working as kids oriented cheaper toys, and he was right. they didn't look great and kids weren't his comic's audience. So he made his own company and married the mass production andd cheaper material of toys with the high detail and sculpt of statues for just a little bit more then a toy would cost. It worked, and its why he to this day believes sculpt should come before articulation, that is his company's audience. Problem is, is the audience is beginning to dwindle, he needs to get into the articulation game more then what he is willing.
>>
>>5639170
The problem with this, is that mcfarlane has yet to realize that you can give a 100 points of articulation, but if the RANGE OF MOTION is shit, it doesn't matter. Look at current Black Series figures, tons of joints, but they might as well be 5poa for the good it does.
>>
>>5639604
It's not so much a "not care" thing, so much as it came low on the totem pole when things like decent headsculpts where still hard to get. And even then, articulated toys back then where pretty limited. Without things like ankle rockers, double elbows, a lot of the poses you'd try to put them in would look less impressive than a statue. Since a lot of collectors weren't going to actually touch the things much anyway, semi-articulated statues became popular.
>>
>>5639630
Well these days 90% of McFarlane shit isn't even sculpted, it's cleaned up 3d scans of actors in a pose, so it's like he's even cutting his own corners.
>>
File: votomsRS1.jpg (32 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
votomsRS1.jpg
32 KB, 640x480
>>5639384
>Toy Biz quickly reshaped what we consider collector's toys.
>The main thing 90's collectors looked for in a toy was usually sculpt and paint
You sound pretty mixed up.
Toy Biz was never a collector company and all collector companies were pretty much imitating what McFarlane was doing, including companies in Japan. That's pretty much how it was until 2006 or so.
>>5639604
I think the vast majority of collectors dont care all that much for articulation and still value accurate paint/sculpt over joints. IT's why the vast majority of collector stuff are figurines, statueshit, and McStatues.

>>5639729
You sure are an exaggerating overweight soccermom with 8 kids.
>>
>>5639859
>all collector companies were pretty much imitating what McFarlane was doing, including companies in Japan
What about Medicom? Or was RAH just an oddity back then?
>>
>>5639132
>15 points of articulation
>7 inch scale

Ugghhhhhh, just..... Just stop already.
>>
File: Front Mission COMPARE2.jpg (122 KB, 800x488) Image search: [Google]
Front Mission COMPARE2.jpg
122 KB, 800x488
>>5639867
As far as i know, medicom only dollies and kubricks back then.

There were a couple of companies releasing some nice mecha though, but it was pretty simplistic. Ball jointed goodness.
>>
>>5639894
>dollies
I guess you could call them that, they were basically shittier versions of what all the collector's 1/6s are now.
>>
>>5639604
Nigga, we didn't even know we needed it until Jesse Falcon stole articulation from the Japanese and Spider-man classics came out
>>
>>5639604
The bush that everyone's beating around is that this all happened during the Collector Boom, an awful period in comics and associated media when the only thing anyone was interested in was projected value. Nobody cared that toys weren't articulated because nobody was thinking of ever taking these toys out of the package, they would forever be just little statues in little plastic boxes.
>>
>>5640946
ya know, i always forget that NRFB use to be a really really big thing. Nowadays as long as it was kept in decent condition and all the bits are there, you can just put it back in its box and its resell value won't vary nearly as much from the sealed price as it use to.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.