[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey, /toy/. Been a looong time since I've seen a Hot Wheels
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /toy/ - Toys

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1936
Hey, /toy/. Been a looong time since I've seen a Hot Wheels thread.

Mind if I start one?

These are my favorite Mint on Splinter cars.

Which of these will be great for tracks?

Top to bottom, left to right

Velocity X HW Prototype 12
Velocity X Flashfire
Velocity X MS-T Suzuka

Speed Blaster (I think)
Overboard 454
Muscle Tone

Splittin' Image Original
Hooligan
Star Spangled '57 Thunderbird

Deora II

I also got a Highway 35 Deora II mint, but opened. Will post pics if you guys want.
>>
>>5636821
Is there a rarity chart for HotWheels?
I seen people go crazy for some new hotwheels that come out, and they buy them all.

I used to work at WAlmart at the time, then those Super Mario HotWheels came out and some dude came and brought every single one we had.

Then when we restock them two weeks later, he was already there, taking a box full of them, before we could put them up.

Are HotWheel collectors this bad?

Also, is is of my first HotWheel, that I got for sending in Box Tops as a kid.
Too bad I have no idea what happen to it.
>>
>>5636874
I'm more of a lukewarm fan myself. I only collect a few select models, like the Fig Rig, Rockster, Humvee, and classic cars new in the Splinters like my OP pic, especially those Veolicty X ones. I also get ones that catch my eye in a really cool way.

The only recent new ones I got were the red rescue Humvee, the Gazella GT, and the HW Formula Solar.

Wasn't there a solar powered Hot Whrels car from 2008?
>>
As they're both owned by Mattel these days, are there any significant differences between Hot Wheels and Matchbox?
>>
>>5637460
For any real-world car make, Hot Wheels will look sportier, more stylized, or generally have more liberty with the design than Matchbox. Even with their respective original designs, Matchbox will lean more towards the look of stock, civilian, and utility vehicles.
>>
>>5636874
Yes, all hotwheels collectors are that bad... they are also mostly in their perpetual 50's
>>
>>5637517
Interesting. How about fictional vehicles? Is there any difference in materials, paint, or construction?
>>
>>5637517
at one point, they did, but anymore, the main difference is the paintjobs, matchbox tends to have the lights painted or made from translucent plastic, but hot wheels does clear bodies, or tuner paintjobs, etc.

tl/dr; Matchbox for meter maids and non civilian/uncool cars (with the occasional exception) and hot wheels for the DONKed aston martin, Japanese car culture, or similar wild and crazy cars you probably would never see in reality. (and movie licensed stuff)
>>
File: parking_garage.jpg (188 KB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
parking_garage.jpg
188 KB, 1536x2048
When i started collecting Hot Wheels i ran out of display space quickly, so i bought this: http://www.motormaxtoy.com/78061.asp
Note 2 floors, 7 cars a floor, so 14 cars. $13 at Ross. Also note it is expandable. You can buy a 2nd set and stack the floors. I ran out of space, AGAIN, so i went looking for another garage and found a 3 floor version for $15. I stacked one on the other to get this <---So for $28 i got 35 parking spaces at $.80 a space. Compare this to Hot Wheels Ultimate Garage which is $100 and 36 spaces for ~$2.70 a space. Granted, the HW garage has more action features, more vehicles included, and compatibility with other HW sets. I had to disable the elevator in mine, though. You turn a crank which turns a screw that raises and lowers the elevator. Now i have 2 screws, one 2 stories tall and one 3 stories tall. I think i can glue them together for a 5 story screw, but i might be pushing it. Maybe some AA powered lights, too.
>>
>>5636821
I just picked up that exact Deora II at a swap meet a couple of weeks ago, OP!

I only recently started collecting again after finding my childhood cars in a shoebox at my parents house. I've got a couple hundred cars; about half of them in cards. If I can find a cool way to display them I will eventually open them all.

Mostly I only like the ones that are designed from IRL cars, with a few exceptions.

>>5636874
>Is there a rarity chart for HotWheels?
Google "Hot Wheels Treasure Hunt". Mattel has artificially created a market where store employees will fight scalpers over "rare" cars to the point where some of these idiots just buy up everything and leave nothing for the rest of us.

>>5637517
>This.
Matchbox has some pretty nice IRL versions of the '65 Mustang and the GT40 that I have in my collection. The only other difference is that HW are generally made in Malaysia and MB come from Thailand.

>>5637522
>Yes, all hotwheels collectors are that bad... they are also mostly in their perpetual 50's
Casual collectors aren't that bad... and I am in my ACTUAL 50s.
>>
>>5638579
>Casual collectors
>Actual 50's

Hi Racegrooves.
>>
File: 20160430_110238.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20160430_110238.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>5637548
Both are generally composed of metal, windshield, underside plastic and interior plastic. Matchbox sometimes extend the interior to use for exterior detail, while Hotwheels will use the windshield for the entire top half. Both techniques result in more detail with less paint colors. Neither brand are above using either technique, with Hotwheels being the more liberal and outrageous (I don't have better examples since not a lot of people buy them either. Check your local pegs.)

They use different set of wheel designs. Error sightings have had Matchbox wheels in Hotwheels cars, and vice versa.

I have rarely seen a neon-colored Matchbox. Even then the matchbox paint job would still look like what a regular car would have.

The grader here uses the black interior for the entire canopy and the underside for the blade. It has no windshield plastic.

The Hotwheels car has glow-in-the-dark wheels.
>>
>>5637664
>>5638579
>>5639596
This is far more information that I expected. I really shouldn't be surprised at the depth of knowledge. Thank you, Anons, for your help.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.