[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sold-out preorders...
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /toy/ - Toys

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 3
File: FIGURE-014604.jpg (23 KB, 600x580) Image search: [Google]
FIGURE-014604.jpg
23 KB, 600x580
What the fuck is up with sold out preorders? Pic related doesn't even get released until Apr.
Doesn't the preorder system give them a better idea how much shit to make? Am I missing something.
bizness jewanons, pls help me understand.
>>
Scarcity makes people feel justified for paying more than the toys are actually worth.
>>
>>5320065
you in the US?
>>
>>5320065
If people want it, they rerelease it or create a version different enough (or a complete update) for people who bought the original to buy it too.
>>
>>5320065
the worst part is many buy them and resell them on way too high prices, sometimes the company decides to make a RE-released, and they just make the same fucking mistake
i mean if you know your preorders sold out and there are people still wanting to get it make more
they won't even let you preorder more than one to three depending on the figure, why don't jsut fucking make more the're lossing money

hell even put some people to work on previous figures on special orden its not like you're gonna remake it from 0 you already have all the development, molds, blueprints, licences how hard can it be, revoltech is doing it with the Legacy why figma and figuarts dont

i losed the chance to get the re-released Figma archetype and the shit is on $100usd + shipping
>>
still available for preorder at bbts..
>>
Well, the simple answer is that unless you're ordering from the manufacturer, each store is typically only allocated so many units. One they hit that, it's over.

In the end, it's safer as a business to make a little too few and miss out on a few sales than to make too many and have it sit on shelves, wasting money. You can always make more, but you can't unmake shit no one wants.
>>
I know how you feel Anon. I wanted this but didn't preorder because my plate is full for april. Holy though I am surprised how fast this went. Something like this I did not expect the demand to be that high which is why I thought I could wait. I did get 4 archetypes so that's nice.
>>
>>5320065
this is pretty cool, what is it called(brand), and is it female aswell?
>>
Grey versions sold out too... you guys think they will open again? They are over four months away...
>>
>>5320455
s.h.Figuarts body kun.
yes, they are female bodies too.
>>
>>5320497
thx
>>
I passed and I'm waiting on getting the Figma versions. They look a lot nicer to be honest.
>>
Normal retail items aren't made to order. A certain number of units are produced which is distributed to stores. When that's gone, good luck slowpoke. This isn't exclusive to Japanese toys.
>>
>>5320065
>Doesn't the preorder system give them a better idea how much shit to make?
That's what web exclusives are for, kinda.

For mass market releases, it's different. Shops are the ones that make orders directly to the manufacturer or their domestic distributor based on expected demand by the customers, and in turn the shops create a finite number of "slots" for pre-orders with the expectation that they'll have at least some excess left over due to unforeseen circumstances (customer cancellation, lack of payment, etc). And before that, manufacturers themselves begin plans for a set number of units to produce based upon expected demand and past sales figures, and then solicit to the shops for them to buy them.

So, long story short, no, the pre-orders you place directly for a specific item have no bearing on how many units the manufacturer will make because that was planned months before you even placed the order.
>>
>>5320547
Not OP, but with figma, I always got the impression that they were actually...uhh、受注生産 (build-to-order? is the right term?). Like Tamashii Web Exclusives.

Didn't figma pre-orders use to run out super fast, but then something changed, then it takes like 8 months for the figma to come out, but pre-order got a lot easier. I assumed for a month or two they get the numbers in, then set an appropriate number they want to produce.

Or it's just that so much figures are being made they need that much time to make enough, so they though might as well start taking orders "ahead of time"?

It seemed odd for figma to have that extra 2~3 months in the preorder-to-release period compare to other figure series.
>>
>>5320065
Yeah... Ive bought that one and the female version op. I was going to buy the grey one that would come with a shit ton of variety of hands and objects to pose, but unfortunelly it was all sold out!!!
>>
>>5320065
It's a bit more complicated than people think. With toy companies, there are one of two options.

Option a is that they rent the factory, in which case, they have to limit preorders due to factory availability.

Option b is that the company owns the factory that produces the toys. It would seem like they could just keep printing toys as they are ordered, but you have to remember that they have a lineup of toys constantly being produced. If they spend time on the factory making more of toy A, they must now cut back on orders of toy B, change schedules, or delay something.

Changing schedules SOUNDS simple, but with a multi-million dollar company, it takes tremendous effort to coordinate delivery and manufacturing dates. At least one person has the full time job of determining what the cost/benefit analysis of boosting production at the expense of delaying and rescheduling something else, and usually the case is that it's too much of a gamble to risk when you could just schedule a re-release a year or two later and schedule at your convenience.
>>
>>5320517
I thought the Figuarts looked a bit better, especially with the skin color, but I ended up getting Figma because I wasn't sure about compatibility. Maybe I'll cave, buy both, and add them to my Shinki blanks for an archetype collection.

>>5320138
And TOM.
>>
>>5320517
To be honest, the archetype next male is pretty eh as well. I'd take the SHF just because the proportions are more rider/martial artsy, and it'll be more poseable, but that's just me. The SHF female looks waaaay too animated, though. Doesn't at all fit with the style of the male.
>>
If you guys weren't such shut ins and/or hapless weeaboos, you'd notice that the toys are actually on the shelves for months after their release in nerd and toy stores.
There's very few toys that actually sell out within a week or even month of their release date.

So if a store says it's sold out, there's literally hundreds of other stores that will have stock available. Collector toys are extremely easy to find and get, unless they're sold exclusively to certain places and limited in number
>>
>>5321546

Pretty much none of that applies here, though.

Try again.
>>
>>5320065
They produce things in batches. Or rather, they stockpile for releases in batches. They can't just produce an infinite amount at once. Maybe if you're lucky there will be a second wave pre-order.
>>
>>5321548
how wuoldn't it?
Is it an exclusive or limited?
>>
>>5321546
>>5321565
We're talking online ordering of superior nippon toys folded 10000 times, not western crap that can be found locally.

>>5320124
>revoltech is doing it with the Legacy why figma and figuarts dont
Except those lines all have re-released figures, you guys don't know shit
>>
>>5321570
>We're talking online ordering of superior nippon toys folded 10000 times,
No shit?
>If you guys weren't such ... hapless weeaboos, you'd notice that the toys are actually on the shelves for months after their release in nerd and toy stores.
Tons of stores out there that will ship overseas, but you need to know a bit of japanese to buy from them.
Near more about your adopted culture.

Nevermind the fact that there are countless collector stores in the US that import these figures you think are sold out just because a couple of popular stores run out.
>>
>>5321582
B-b-but I might have to pay MSRP!
>>
>>5320065
relax OP, i don't believe anyone's mentioned yet but this is another item in which figuarts is in direct competition with figma.

you'll definitely have your chance, mark my words

xoxo,

anon
>>
>>5320065
they were sold out because you waited too long. they were up for preorder since 10-29-15.
>>
>>5322516
>since 10-29-15.
>implying they just sold out

so even if that's true. they've been sold out for a couple weeks at least.
so what? a preorder period of a few weeks? that's fucked up
>>
File: figma hitman swimsuit ver.jpg (128 KB, 1280x855) Image search: [Google]
figma hitman swimsuit ver.jpg
128 KB, 1280x855
I've been kinda torn about these things.
Body-kun and Body-chan look like they have far better articulation than the Archetype Next couple, but the Archetype Next have better sculpts, especially the handsome as fuck faces.

Never tried a Figurats but if the archetypes have slightly better articulation than The Thinker, I'm set.
>>
>>5322635
Not him but I went to pre-order next day they went on pre-order.
The grey version was already sold out.
>>
>everybody constantly asks for their demo blanks
>decide to make blanks
>not the ones they use in the demos
>get unpainted saitama
>>
>>5322849
I'd rather have blank polygon robots.
>>
>>5322635
That's how it goes. Deal with it. You gather information so you at least seen some pics weeks before. You stay put in front of your screen the day pre-order starts in Japan and keep refreshing the page.

It's not that big of deal for folks in Japan because most big stores gets plenty of stock and don't run out right away, unless it's like a Gold Saint or something.

And due to cancellations many times they stay in stock for a while after release.
>>
>>5322635
weeks? try 15 minutes. this isn't your hobby, go away.
>>
>>5322849
They released grey ones too.
>>
>>5322855
>You stay put in front of your screen the day pre-order starts in Japan and keep refreshing the page.

>>5322857
> try 15 minutes. this isn't your hobby, go away.

whatever nvm then, I think I'd rather just not have it than start behaving like a MOTUC fag during the height of "He-Mania"
>>
>>5322849
These are better imo.

Also much better as posable art references.
>>
>>5322862
good. now stop bitching and fuck off.
>>
>>5322892
>stop bitching
is it your first day on /toy/ newfriend?
>>
I kinda hate some toy fanbases, the fans are too ravenous for shit like starwars or Kamen rider. Amiibo has been a real bitch until recently. than k goodness releases are a thing for the most part.
>>
>>5321716
>B-b-but I might have to pay MSRP!
Everyone who thinks this deserves nothing.
>>
>>5322830
this is actually a lot less proportionate. The goofily unbroad pecks, among othr things, just make it look like it's combining several styles that just don't fit. Not to mention the ridiculously tiny head.
>>
File: 1449463071140.jpg (119 KB, 960x916) Image search: [Google]
1449463071140.jpg
119 KB, 960x916
>newkid makes a thread about him being upset about not getting his hamhand on that super cool toy he wants
>gets dozens of replies

Come on guys he learned his lesson. If he can't keep up with the pace then he'll fuck off to whatever sad normies hobby he originally had.
>>
>>5323941
That pic is fucking hot. Got any more like it?
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.