[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/5eg/ - Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 42
File: 1468518958056.jpg (12 KB, 258x259) Image search: [Google]
1468518958056.jpg
12 KB, 258x259
Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition General Discussion Thread

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Old Thread >>48297838

The moment of realising how fucked up this situation is... Edition

When have you got so far through a plan and realised how crazy it actually is? Or, what's the stupidest plan you've ever attempted to put into practice at the table?
>>
What types of mundane things might a group of adventurers expect to see while traveling along a dirt road?
>>
>>48315376
They could step on irritable earth elementals and genasi.

>Use ROCK SMASH?
>>
>>48315342
Also, stat old man snail mount for my 4'11" small bunfolk beastmaster ranger /fighter cavalier with 3 1d12 lance attacks per round and 20AC
>>
>>48308810
>>48314901

At 1st level, you gain the power of Fell Might. Whenever you deal damage to an enemy, you may expend your Fell Might to deal an extra 1d8 necrotic damage. Whenever you reduce an enemy to 0 hit points, you regain your use of Fell Might.

Basically the 4e boon, although that had other applications. Higher level bonuses would be more versatile uses of Fell Might. Given that they're SORCERER-Kings, maybe metamagic?
>>
>>48315408

More mundane. I'm talking, like, an ordinary sign post, or maybe just a rock that would be useful for travelers to take a good sit on. Just ordinary things I can throw into an encounter to make a fight scene feel more alive (and perhaps give my players an opportunity to create an improvised weapon).
>>
File: 05_air_spd[1].png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
05_air_spd[1].png
3 MB, 1920x1080
>>48315342
I got invited to my first 5e game and was told monks are pretty fun. How would one play a monk based of Zangief? I wish to walk the path of TRUE MUSCLE!
>>
>>48315504

Zangief would probably be better represented, mechanically, by a Barbarian. Monks are not so good for grappling.
>>
>>48315376
Graves, shrines to old /nature gods, interesting natural formations (caves, overhangs, arches, blooming forests)
Old wagon remains, dry stone walls from old farms, a fallen tree
>>48315437
A well for travellers (non magical wishing well)
A giant bird's nest, long abandoned
Nomad barbarian tools or hunting equipment
An old corpse with rusty weapons
A fresh corpse with fine weapons
A conspicuous hunting trap
An old broken bridge
Bigger than normal poison ivy overruns the path (druids!!)
A beaver dam or other obstruction directs water over the road
Deep puddles
Slippery, mossy rocks
Slippery gravel
Thick mud
Icy patches
>>
>>48315534
Wouldnt my punches be shit if I went barbarian?
>>
>>48315545

Yes, that's great! Thanks! If you've got more, I'll take it!

>>48315566

No.
>>
>>48315581
>no
Then how? Don't I only do like 1+str mod (1d4+str mod with tavern brawler) plus the occasional rage bonus? Seems like a bit of a letdown from dropping a 1d12 on a greataxe
>>
>>48315668

That's because it is. But the comparison was between a Zangief Monk and a Zangief Barbarian. Monks don't really need Strength at all, and if you pump Strength and Dexterity, you'll have to sacrifice Con and/or Wisdom. Not really a good deal. Barbarians would also better represent Zangief's toughness with the greater hit die and Rage resistance. I just can't see Zangief being a Monk at all.
>>
>>48315504
Good thing about monk grapplers is you don't have to be as good at grappling as other classes because you get more attacks, so you get more chances to grapple, and if you miss your grapple you can still pop ki to flurry of blows for more attacks
Just be sure to take athletics (STR) as one of your skills, give yourself decent strength (though you still need good Dex for your defences, so best to put that higher) to give yourself a better chance.
The grappler feat isn't so great, but if you're gonna be grappling anyway, it's worth considering (take some stat increases first though).
>Hit - > grapple - > flurry of blows with advantage
is pretty cool
>>
>>48315718
Alternatively, forgo Dex in favour of wisdom and strength and accept low ac in exchange for great Russian bear flavour!
>>
>>48315718
>>48315715
What if I dropped a few levels of barbarian and went the rest monk? That would let me get the con+dex instead of wis and I would also be really tough to kill since I could rage. At that point I could just ignore wis right?
>>
>>48315799

Sure, that sounds fine.
>>
>>48315799
Some of the monk abilities wouldn't be quite as good, but that's no trouble when you've got bear rage (I'd go Barb 1 (Unarmoured Defense) - Monk 5 (extra attack) - Barb 4 (ASI) - Monk X)
>>
Zombie ogres should have 20 STR not 19
>>
>>48315899
Ogre strength is 19, anon, otherwise my gauntlets of Ogre strength are lying
>>
>>48315923
Yeah and zombie template adds 1 str genius
>>
>>48315889
So would these stats be good for a variant human of this build?

>Str 16 (starts as 14 +1 racial, +1 tavern brawler)
>Dex 14
>Con 16 (starts as 15 +1 racial)
>Int 8
>Wis 12
>Cha 8
>>
Anyone know of any good oneshot dungeons made for 5e that would take 4-5 hours to run?
>>
Rate my character, /5eg/. She's a Ranger with high dex and cha, working pretty well so far.
>>
>>48316163
>gender
>class
>indication of two ability scores
I'll rate your character when you tell us anything about her.
>>
>>48316163
>>
File: stat me tg.jpg (121 KB, 670x1193) Image search: [Google]
stat me tg.jpg
121 KB, 670x1193
>>48316163
oops forgot pic senpai
>>
>>48316192
I'm changing my >>48316190 to a 2
>>
File: 1467582150966.gif (3 MB, 890x940) Image search: [Google]
1467582150966.gif
3 MB, 890x940
>>48316192
Reminds me of when I played a cleric that was impregnated with multiple half devil spawn at once by the bbeg for later sacrifice in a ritual.

That DM was fucked.
>>
>>48316023
It feels a bit of a shame to get tavern brawler when you're going to get better unarmed attacks through monk levels, but between the +1STR at level 1, and the punch- grapple, I can't really recommend anything better!
Hope you have fun with it!
>>
>>48316000
Maybe I can find some gauntlets of zombie ogre strength lying around then, nice trips
>>
>>48316327
Thanks man you have been a great help.
>>
What are the short or long-term benefits of playing a Wild Magic sorcerer? The idea of the magic surge table seems fun and interesting, but you only have a 1/20 chance of getting to roll on it in the first place. Compared to the Draconic bloodline stuff it seems really minor, but then again it's a caster class and you've got spells, so that might not be a bad thing?
>>
>>48316192
Well that certainly doesn't look like anything he described. Like the other guy I'd go with a 2 out of 10
>>
>>48316352
Re-read tides of chaos. Just give yourself advantage as much as possible so when you cast a spell you roll straight to the WMS table.
>>
>>48316352
wild magic is basically 60% good, 20% bad and 20% retarded. if you mean long term as in "permanent effects on the table" you've got like a 1% chance to get anything specific, no point of wanting one.
if you mean "why is it good" well you get to pick your wild magic eventually, giving you good ones pretty often. bend luck is a little shit, and tides of chaos is great like >>48316407 said, but its entirely based on the dm giving its use back to you. Spell bombardment is great though
>>
>>48316407
>>48316448
So it is the kind of thing that requires DM input, huh. How often do they do that in your experience? Doing it every time seems like fishing for 1s, but it's the kind of thing you picked the class and archetype for.
>>
File: 58758678686.jpg (156 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
58758678686.jpg
156 KB, 1200x1200
>our ranger got a hold of nettle, the sentient crossbow
>DM roleplays it as an uptight Ojou-sama that demands his full attention and the finest care
>tfw our ranger is now a slave to his crossbow
>>
Could a druid shapeshift into a bear to lift a portcullis? If not a bear, what other beast could do it?
Discussing with my group, we were split on whether they've got enough grip with their paws, or if they'd even need to grip it to lift it
>>
>>48316532
Haven't played Wild Magic with enough DMs to tell you, but if you don't feel like it's often enough, you can always talk to the DM.
>>
File: 1418686932228.gif (2 MB, 500x377) Image search: [Google]
1418686932228.gif
2 MB, 500x377
First game 4th session for me (and my DM who is great). Rest of party is VERY slowly evolving from full murder hobo to actual players and despite a half hour debate each session about if we will kill creatures that are throwing us an easy diplomacy bone we've all had a lot of fun and laughs, but I have two problems, one mechanic related and one related to being lawful good.
Mechanics - DM suggested we not try to minmax when making characters so I rolled a elf Cleric and rolled for stats.
Due to idiocy on my part I only have a +2 bonus to wis so I can't hit anything with offensive spells (I wanted to specialize heavily in healing). I also have only 14 HP at lvl 2 so I'm made of glass if anything manages to hit me. Really my only redeeming factors are that I have the most AP of the party, my +2 str bonus, and my +1 sword we just got. Can I be saved? Should I just wait in the back toss mostly ineffective spells and heal?
>Second problem requiring a bit more outside the box thinking is that I sort of decided my character would try to avoid unneeded death of any sentient creature.
>Last session I managed to convince the party to take in a few lackies alive, but the town mayor is either corrupt, willfully ignorant, or just ignorant about their gang. If I'm lawful I cant exactly throw a coup on the town, but letting these guys go or slaughtering them aren't good either.
Thoughts?
>>
>>48317178
maybe if its slick or the holes are too small for the paws, otherwise I'd have no problem with a bear lifting it

the druid could shapeshift into something small, pop through the holes and find the switch too
>>
>>48317178
it would still be a strength check. and presumably if the holes are large enough to get your arm through, a bears paw is fine
depending on what kind of bear matters though, since their str is like 14-20
>>
File: Strahd cruising for bitches.jpg (132 KB, 452x600) Image search: [Google]
Strahd cruising for bitches.jpg
132 KB, 452x600
any of the CoS AL stuff any good?
>>
>>48317274
I haven't read the adventures themselves but they have some neat custom monsters (like humanoid bosses with legendary actions even at low CRs, pretty interesting).
>>
File: 1388255747114.gif (492 KB, 500x278) Image search: [Google]
1388255747114.gif
492 KB, 500x278
>>48317178
how big is the door?
a bear isn't really built like a human in this sense and couldn't really get his back legs into it like you or I could with a deadlift.
>>
>>48317274
The expanded dark powers gifts are pretty good.
>>
Are characters able to discern the effects of a curse or even that they've been cursed in the first place?
>>
>>48317540
If they see the person casting the spell then yes. If not then maybe.
>>
Can I cast spell while sliding under the enemy? I want to shoot huge mknster up into the sky with repelling blast.
>>
>>48316265

The cleric were to be sacrificed, or her devilspawn?
>>
>>48317828
I imagine only if your spell is either bonus action (i.e it the spell is quick to cast)/rection spell or require little component ( so only vocal or something )
>>
>>48317828
Only with a huge or larger creature, since something needs to be 2 size categories larger than you for you to enter it's squares. Though I can't recommend doing that since then a huge creature will land on you when it falls
>>
>running OotA
>no PC can effectively use the Dawnbringer

This is hilarious. Can't wait to give it to Eldeth or Jimjar, both NPCs that the players actively dislike.
>>
>>48317209
About the first problem, you guys are still level 2, right? Talk to your DM, let him know you're not satisfied with your character as he is, ask him if he'd have a problem with you rearranging your stats. If you are a cleric, I hope you went with Wood Elf for their Wisdom bonus, otherwise you might be stuck with +2 wisdom for a while no mater what. And since you're an elf, it might have been better to go for a dex-cleric. You have less weapon choices, but elves with their +2 dex have a better time using ranged and finesse weapons.

About your second problem, you're lawful, which means you adhere to a personal code. You are rigid in your methods, That doesn't mean you have to side with the law every time. If you're good and believe in defeating/destroying evil, or in the sacredness of life, and the town leaders are corrupt and/or inefficient, you gotta weigh what matters most to your character. Does he cares most about the innocents suffering because of this gang? This gang is allowed to go on by the mayor? Then by all means he doesn't deserve his position. How you go about it depends on you, you might oust him by force, straight-up assassinate him, convince the townsfolk he's a terrible leader, prove his foul play, develop a convoluted and hilarious plan with your party that involves illusions, Vicious Mockery and a bag of tricks, etc.
>>
>>48315566
Take tavern brawler. It nets you a 1d4+Str mod punching ability.
Dip into rogue for expertise and cunning action.
Use expertise on athletics proficiency and grapple everything.

You won't be doing lots of damage tho.
Monks are better for damage but rely on a mental stat so they are innately predisposed to being MC gishes with cleric or druid levels.
>>
>>48317178
Pandas have something like thumbs but a great ape would be better.
>>
File: 1452954148752.gif (935 KB, 396x206) Image search: [Google]
1452954148752.gif
935 KB, 396x206
>>48318067
First wanted to thank you for the response.
I feel like I'm too all arounder with my stats. I have no negatives but 2 is my best bonus. Is there any quick way to get some more life? I was thoroughly frightened when a single mob did 10 dg on a save, 2 hits and i would have been done, but was luckily not stupid enough to be the first person to sprint to the magic items.
Can I get a bit more clarification on the lawful part? I sort of understood that to mean "won't break the law no matter what." because he believes in law and order so much he has to work within it or risk becoming what he hates. The only examples that come to mind are Suzaku in the fun shitshow code geass, or Flynn for the super obscure game "tales of vesperia".
Also if you don't mind a few more questions regarding lawful good
2-a
Killed a goblin leader who was killing caravans.
His second in command wants to parlay, says he won't kill more caravans. I rolled a 10 on sense motive. Is it wrong to let him live since they might just kill more?
2-b
Managed to take several mooks alive due to party face actually making a very compelling argument, the fact that we outnumber them, and a good roll.
What do I do with them if we still have more rooms to explore?
Special note that the party fighter is full murder hobo and wants to get every bit of loot and xp he can so tries to turn every encounter into a bloodbath. The DM does not love this.
>>
File: 1459307465760.jpg (28 KB, 500x380) Image search: [Google]
1459307465760.jpg
28 KB, 500x380
Big question: Beyond the PHB, where have new classes been introduced into 5th Edition?
>>
>>48318235
Outside of homebrew and playtest material? None. With the playtest material, you've got the Mystic, which only goes to level 10 and is psionics, and that Runecaster prestige class.

There have been quite a few subclasses though, which I'm more happy with. Subclasses are robust enough to handle plenty of concepts, so I don't see new classes as something that will be needed often.
>>
>>48318235
nowhere
they're all just archtypes
theres a number in sword coast, most are from unearthed arcana, but some of those are shit just because they are UA. if someone has the character option pdf, it lists them all and where they are from
>>
>>48318301
>>48318302
Damn. So nothing really available to Adventurers League play... Damn, that's kind of shameful, at this point.
>>
>>48318333
>Literally asking for class bloat

Why?
>>
>>48318333
Can you name a new class that they could actually make aside from artificer, which iirc they are letting the guy that made eberron handle? You don't need more classes if they already have all the basic ideas covered.
>>
>>48318387
Psionics.

>>48318386
Not bloat, just more options. I really expected more books oriented toward players at this point, but it's just been a bunch of adventures...
>>
>>48318428
>Psionics

Which they're working out the details for.

>Not bloat, just more options

Which exist in the form of subclasses. Sword coast adventure guide has several.

We're not going to get a bunch of new classes. I don't know why you'd want a bunch of new classes.
>>
As nice as more options sounds, 5es simplicity seems to result in very little design space for good and distinct options. There's only so many fiddly bits to work with.
>>
>>48315434
2E (when they got the name) didn't actually have the sorcerer class. And they got taught how to use magic by Rajaat. The sorcerer kings were dual classed psionicist / wizards.
>>
>>48318453

I think Psionics is the one good idea to add in especially if it means more stuff to make Int a relevant stat outside of Wizards
>>
>>48318453
>5es simplicity
Aside from feat scarcity and skills being a simple yes/no, it's essentially the same as 3E from a player perspective.
>>
>>48318452
>Which they're working out the details for.
Two years since release, four since they announced 5e...

The rush of 4e really killed their desire to put out books, huh?
>>
So I've not founda clear answer for this, looking for an answer.

When a person levels up, does their XP reset back to 0, and then they need to get however many points to get to next level (so a person who just hit level 2 needs 900 XP to get to level 3) or is it cumulative until you hit the XP threshold to hit the next level (someone hits level 2 and has 300 xp, they then need to get 600 xp from encounters to hit level 3).

I want to say it resets but I'm not certain, and my google-fu is weak.
>>
>>48318490
I think Artificer is important as well, if only because currently it doesn't feel right as a Wizard subclass.

They could theoretically make one that more fully exchanges spell slots for potions and charged magical items and things, but if people wanted to play an Artificer that's just a Wizard calling all of his spells gadgets or potions, they could already do so.
>>
>>48318545

So im guessing this is your first RPG?
>>
>>48318559
Artificer was so distinct in 3rd edition that they've had a lot of trouble shoehorning it into other classes.
>>
>>48318545
No, it's cumulative. If a level 1 character somehow got 900 experience, they would shoot straight up to level 3.
>>
>>48318452
Personally I'd like to see a few more options. Specifically, I'd like to see some of the following things:

> Spontaneous INT-based caster with limited spell list/spells learned that are tied to your subclass
> Spontaneous WIS-based caster (ie., Favored Soul from 3.5), spells learned are tied to the subclass/domain your divine touch came from
> A "tinkerer" support class (like an Artificer)
> Psionics with subclasses explaining what it can do (one melee dps, one for ranged dps, one for healing/buffs/debuffs)
> 4th edition's Warlord (able to use something like superiority die to let team mates move around on his turn, get a free attack, ranged heal, etc., while he bashes skulls in)
>>
>>48318576
Tabletop RPG, yes. I've played video games for a while, and I've seen them do both in various RPGs.

>>48318589
I assumed it was cumulative, just wanted to make sure. Thanks.
>>
>>48318589
With the DM Quests thing, if you're a DM and you recruit another player to become a DM for two sessions, you could create a 1st level character that suddenly has 15,000 XP.
>>
>>48318586
Yeah, I understand why the UA version was such a mess, especially since they can't easily give it all the real magic item creation it had in 3.5

I don't have much experience with Artificers myself, though the biggest things I would want from one is some way to get a few 'free' healing potions each day, and the ability to get elemental ammunition in a similar way or charge up a weapon with elemental energy for brief periods.
>>
>>48318601
Battlemaster fighter does the warlord thing pretty well. You choose the features that let you spend your superiority dice to allow allies to make attacks, take inspirational leader, etc. Should work pretty damn well, and you can frontline.
>>
>>48318601
wouldn't a INT-based caster be Psionics since it using brain power and all
>>
Protection from Evil and Good states that it consumes holy water or powdered silver and iron on casting, but doesn't give a monetary cost. If a player had a Holy water flask (25gp), would the whole thing be used up by the spell?
>>
>>48318601
>Spontaneous INT-based caster with limited spell list/spells learned that are tied to your subclass

All casters are spontaneous now.

>Spontaneous WIS-based caster (ie., Favored Soul from 3.5), spells learned are tied to the subclass/domain your divine touch came from

Favored Soul was already done as a Sorcerer subclass. Clerics are already spontaneous, and they do get extra spells from domains.

Tying into each of these, 5e clearly doesn't want to do the idea of having new classes that are just existing classes with more thematic spell lists.

>A "tinkerer" support class (like an Artificer)

Yeah, I can agree to that

>Psionics with subclasses explaining what it can do (one melee dps, one for ranged dps, one for healing/buffs/debuffs)

I'd rather the Psionics subclasses not just be WoWspecs, but rather diciplines like Telepathy and Telekinesis. At best, have an extra option where at an early level they can choose to either get extra armor proficiencies and extra HP each level (for a Psychic warrior type) or extra power points or spells known (for a more mage type)

>4th edition's Warlord (able to use something like superiority die to let team mates move around on his turn, get a free attack, ranged heal, etc., while he bashes skulls in)

I do think they need to have a better take on this, though I still feel like they could almost fit it in to the existing class structure. Currently you can do it decently well with a Battlemaster fighter and a Mastermind Rogue, but I think what you'd really need for a successful one is to have more Superiority dice, but smaller ones, and on someone who's not quite as combat capable.
>>
>>48318541
more likely than not scared them with how much they fucked up, then double spooked with how quickly they announced 5e
>>
What's a better gish: Fighter 1/Dragon Sorcerer X, or Fighter 1/Abjurer X?
>>
I asked this in the last thread but I was wonder for as vengeance pally should I remain pure pally or should I multi-class to lore bard or old gods-lock

if my game demand more social check than combat but my party has few Charisma based character already
>>48318775
Fighter 1/Dragon Sorcerer X just for meta magic
>>
>>48317988
I'm sorry but your PCs are all
>evil
or
>not proficient with longswords or shortswords
or
>use neither strength nor dexterity

Really? A party of evil wizards is it?
>>
>>48318813
paladins are good on their own, and their capstone is really great
basically for those two other choices you're given the real question is
"do i really need more spells, specifically non paladin ones" and "do i need a good ranged attack"
most likely not lore bard, iirc you said there was a bard in the party, so you arnt even covering buffs he could do anyway (bless would most likely still be more important anyway)
so its really if you want a ranged attack that i presume you spend your invocations on making better. double points for lock with short rest spells being extra smites per day
>>
>>48318818
>A party of evil wizards is it?
That would be hilarious tho.
>>
wouldi t be a good idea to add a second form of chill touch, the one from 2e, for a necromancer.
instead of 1d8 + no regen, instead its 1d4 + lose 1 point of strength, saving roll instead of attack roll
>>
>>48318859
well the reason I considering lock it that I spec as an interrogator type (i.e +6 intimidation/ +3 insight) character so specing old one mean I get detect thought

and since my group is kinda stealthy for the most part I was thinking to getting disguise self and maybe invisibility as well as the cantrip Green flame blade for that extra attack
>>
>>48318918
no
>>
>>48318859
and also I was considering to get some decide cantrip like guidance as well
>>
>>48318948
is the strength drain too much for a cantrip?
should it be a level 1 spell instead? gaining +1d4 +1 strength drain per level?

the strength drain is for 1 hour or a short rest by the way
>>
>>48318976
just no
>>
>>48318976
Is attribute drain a thing in 5e?
>>
>>48319005
just for monsters
>>
>>48319005
it could be, some kinds of monsters have it, like wraiths
>>
>>48315434
Metamagic would be a little wonky because then you can just dip a level of sorcerer and then it goes all out of whack.
Additionally, the Patron is also supposed to be applicable to any setting via extensively powerful wizards and shit, and not JUST dark sun, in a similar vein to how the Bannerette fighter is the Purple Dragon Knight in Forgotten Realms.

However, Fell Might just seems like a stronger Hex that doesn't eat up a spell slot or action
>>
>>48318493
Not exactly, there's less "stuff" in the classes, and there are loads of gimmicks that don't work in 5e just because it isn't designed that way. Think of all the tricky mechanics every class had in 4e and how they aren't transferable now.
>>
File: 1461511749204.jpg (35 KB, 399x400) Image search: [Google]
1461511749204.jpg
35 KB, 399x400
>been running 5e game since PHB was released
>players been leveling at a rate of 1 level per three sessions or so (its low cause its online, and sometimes sessions only last 2 hours)
>oldest player has been in group since level 3
>theyre now 18
>mfw its all almost over, cause epic level in 5e is a joke

It's a bittersweet feeling.
>>
>>48319754
5e is more about general rules than specific ones. In 3/3.5 everything had its own unique special snowflake mechanics and putting them all together was a massive clusterfuck.

In 5e there are broad classes, broad archetypes, and basically every concept can be made within those classes and archetypes. The only character type you can't really make at the minute is the artificer, and that's because 5e currently doesn't have much in the way of crafting rules.
>>
>>48318775
Swashbuckler 3/Dragon sorcerer 1

Why swashbuckler?
Cha to initiative and free disengagement in melee as well as Dex being their main focus.
Also they get expertise , cunning action and SA which is supperior untill fighter gets his second attack. But by that time the Party is already level 6 and mostly fine with Theorie adventure.

Anorher way to gish is Monk 1/ Arcana cleric 1 with Scag cantrips.
>>
>>48315342
Introducing a Daoist monk build that is a better Wot4E monk than the actual subclass.

Now the group I'm in always uses all the official supplements so SCAG and Elemental Evil are necessary.

The basics is Monk x/Arcana cleric x/Moon druid x

This is the fluff I use:

For those that don't know what daoism is
please Google it and read it up.
It's both a phylosophy and a religion which through abstract math concepts explains its view of how the world functions.

Now I used it for my Arcana cleric since you don't really have to serve a deity but follow a faith that grants you power (not that Daoist teachings exclude deities but they view it more like a level of power that can be achieved through enlightenment) I chose it to be a cloistered scholar at a Daoist temple.

Now daoism includes concepts of various elements (the Chinese five elements) which can't really be tied into a cleric but a druid who's a sage of nature fits that role.

Taking into consideration the stats a monk has to have (Dex and Wis) Cleric and druid are the only real choices if you want magic.
Since those two classes mainly focus on support the main goal of taking them is to get ritual magic and a bunch of usefully cantrips like create bonfire, mild earth, booming blade etc.
These cantrips scale well and remain usefully while costing no resources unlike Wot4e monk spells.
>>
File: photo[1].jpg (48 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
photo[1].jpg
48 KB, 900x900
>tfw you tpk the party
>>
>>48320176
>phylosophy

absolutelydisgusting.png

Anyways, it seems like you could have a more effective character by sticking with a single class and just taking feats like magic initiate to get the cantrips you want. Druid in particular gets worse the less levels you have in it, and monk loses access to some amazing features.
>>
>>48318718
I always figured if a material component doesn't have a cost it means you only need less than a copper's worth, so if a mage doesn't have a component pouch of focus to ignore the priceless material requirements but does have a flask of holy water they could use a drop or two to cast the spell without having to consume the whole thing.
>>
Starting out at level 10 and looking to make the best Lathander-worshipping missionary I can. Currently thinking Sun Soul Monk 7 / Rogue 1 / Light Cleric 2. Shooting light blasts as a standard attack, dbz solar flare as a reaction, expertise on acrobatics and perception, light and thaumaturgy cantrips and Radiance of the Dawn channel divinity.

Anything else I can grab that will actually still leave the character playable?
>>
>>48319955
There's also nothing along the lines of the alchemist, a bomb specialist.
>>
So, I'm playing a sorlock in 5e, and we just hit 4th level. I rolled decent base stats:

Here's my question. How should I distribute my two extra ability points? My two -1's haven't bothered me too much so far, so I'm really not worried about either of those. I'm leaning toward getting my CHA to 20 - the +5 bonus will be nice.... but getting CON to 16 might be wise as well, especially as my party tends to be a bit stab-happy. Suggestions?
>>
>>48320540
Which, as another class that focuses on creating items to use as weapons (either potions/poisons or explosives/etc), would be folded in along with the artificer as two archetypes of the 'crafting' class.
>>
>>48320564
Have you ever failed two death saves in one combat? If yes, CON. If no, CHA.
>>
>>48320320
>monk looses astral projection from a one level dip

And that's relevant how?

You can afford to dip two levels without losing the subclass capstone which is the one that actually matters.

Also fucking autocorrect is making me mad right now.
I need to turn it of somehow.
>>
>>48320710
Given how far and fast most games progress, the issue isn't that dipping two levels will lose you access to your main class features, it's that you don't get that sweet level 17 cap until actual level 19, which pushes it that much further away from levels that are ever usually played. It's just about feasible to get a character to 17 if you're running two or three back-to-back adventures. 19 and 20 are hardly ever seen.
>>
The battles in my D&D campaign have been less than challenging. My players are lucky, I am extremely unlucky (my Hydra critfailed a solid 1/5th of its attacks last session), and the end result is that they mow through enemies like they're blind kobolds. I wish to change this.

For my next session, the players are going to be moving through a thick jungle, trying to warn the a city about an impending Yuan-ti invasion (that the players had a hand in causing). I want to make it a grueling gauntlet. I already have a lot of fights planned (including a T-Rex, who's going to immediately bite a kobold ally they picked up in half unless they win at perception rolls). What are some other features I can add to make it especially depressing?

I was considering:

>realistic quicksand (doesn't suck you up, does slow your movement and cover you in sand)
>Vines to get tangled in
>Poisonous plants
>Swarms of harmless bugs that remove vision

What else can I add?
>>
>>48320876
>thick jungle
Tree snakes. Wrap-around-your-throat-and-choke-you-so-you-can't-even-scream-for-help constrictors.
>>
>>48320876
Fire ants
Giant spider webs
Giant bee hives
Stampedes
Torrential rain
Falling trees
Fast rivers and waterfalls
Giant chameleons
Cannibals
Big game hunters with loose morals
Gangs of monkeys who like to throw rocks and shit from up high
>>
>>48320710
I was assuming you were going to take more levels in druid and cleric to make them, you know, useful.

Multiclassing is generally fine, but monk and druid don't offer much to each other except glorious spider monk shenanigans. If you're ever considering taking a class purely for cantrip access, just take magic initiate instead. Or do a three level dip in warlock to get eldritch blast+pact of the time for a damage option that's great at all levels in the game.
>>
Is there any way, flavor-wise and mechanically, to make a Psionic Mystic/Bard multiclass? They're two of my favorite classes, so I was trying to think of a way they could work together but they may just be better off on their own.

Also, has anyone played the Take 2 on the Mystic from the UA? What do you think of it? https://media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/Psionics_and_Mystic_V2.pdf
>>
>>48321232
>https://media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/Psionics_and_Mystic_V2.pdf
When did they made that available ?
>>
>>48321279
Earlier this year. I wanna say February? It really improves on their first draft of the Mystic.
>>
Easier psionic:

Dragon-blooded Sorcerer with draconic traits refluffed as a psionic barrier and levitation, damage type is psychic. Use the Spell Points variant from the DMG, allow spell points and sorcery points to be exchanged at a decent rate. Maybe use Int as the casting stat, but to be honest Cha feels better as a 'force of will' thing to me.

Thoughts?
>>
>>48321314
Seems like a lot of steps to take to make a different Psion. I prefer the mechanics of the Mystic that make psionics and magic feel different, but that's just me.
>>
>>48317209

Okay, first of all, what domain are you and what are your other stats? What spells do you know?

As for the lawful good part, I think it's perfectly fair to get rid of a corrupt leader. Just don't do it by sowing the seeds of anarchy. Especially if you're lawful good. You don't have to bend over backwards for corrupt leaders.
>>
>>48319252
Pathfinder General is trying to come to terms with the glory of 5e. Who wants to help educate them?
>>
>>48317209
>I only have a +2 bonus to wis so I can't hit anything
That's a good meme right here.

> If I'm lawful I cant exactly throw a coup on the town
I don't see why you couldn't. Most coups d'état were made by, or at least organized by lawful people. I think it's pretty lawful to sacrifice the few to save the many.
>>
File: Elder_pith.jpg (15 KB, 403x153) Image search: [Google]
Elder_pith.jpg
15 KB, 403x153
Why is /5eg/ a lot saner and less degenerate than /pfg/?
>>
>>48321576
/pfg/ reg reporting in.

One of our tripfags made an IRC room. All the best posters went there to hang out with each other and be friendly. An unforeseen consequence of that is that they are, therefore, not hanging out on the board, and the board has gotten measurably worse as a result, to the point where it should probably be purged as an ongoing general.

But since I'm in the IRC, I'm perfectly okay with watching the general burn.
>>
>>48321634
What happened to asbergers 2hu anon?
>>
>>48321576

The fact that there is no actual discussion going on.
>>
>>48321717
He's still there. The caliber of post we have lately actually makes him look like a contributing member of society by comparison.
>>
>>48321745
But 2hu was always really fucking good with mechanics, right?
>>
>>48321494
>glory of 5e.

Being a slightly-less-shitty d20-based system is not "glory." But then I am guessing most of the people in this thread haven't played any games besides 3.Pf and 5e (maybe 4e as well) so the reason they think 5e is good (and really the only reason it IS good) is because "well at least it's better than 3.pf"

And that somehow excuses the lame character customization, boring advancement, stupid resource management systems, and caster supremacy in 5th edition.

At least d20 exists for autists to blow their loads on each others faces and not infect any actually good RPG communities.
>>
>>48321752
If you keep him locked in one subsystem, yeah. If you let him cross the streams, you get a lot of annoying "by a strict RAW reading of this feat from <publisher A>, this spell from <publisher B>, and this magic item from <publisher C>, all of which were never INTENDED to interact, you can do 120000 damage a round that ignores all resistances" sort of thing. Basically you need to keep him on a tight leash.

>>48321792
Son, let me tell you what "glory" is: market share.

Is 5e the best game? Fuck no. Give me Fate or Microscope or even any of the niche indie Japanese RPGs that somehow got translations, any day.

Is 5e the best game that people have heard of and are willing to try at least once? Almost certainly.
>>
>>48321494
Leave them to wallow in their filth, we don't need them here.
>>
>>48319903
Well, to be fair, epic levels were always a joke in D&D. Except BECMI, where they were a nightmare.
>>
>>48318199
The DM should be giving xp for getting out of a situation diplomatically pretty much on par with what you'd get for slaughtering everything. It helps convince murder hobos to stop being such fags.
>>
>>48321841
Yeah that sounds like him, but I always found him to be fun regardless.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (28 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
28 KB, 1280x720
>>48319903
>Not killing characters before 10th
>tfw you're a shit DM that never challenges your players
>tfw they're almost done with the ordeal that is playing with your boring ass.
>>
>>48321792
>Give my players a magic item that summons a large armored boar
>Its really strong and fast
>Doesnt go away until it takes 60 HP in damage
>Expect it to be used in combat
>Instead they decide it is for riding
>During a one year downtime one of the players pays for an armored stagecoach to be crafted to carry them around
>The bard drops 500g and some time to alter the magic of the item so that when the boar is summoned it has these war bomber style pinups of her bard painted on the side like pic related
I'm not sure if I should be proud of my players or disappointed.
>>
>>48321841
>>48321907
>If you let him cross the streams, you get a lot of annoying "by a strict RAW reading of this feat from <publisher A>, this spell from <publisher B>, and this magic item from <publisher C>, all of which were never INTENDED to interact, you can do 120000 damage a round that ignores all resistances" sort of thing. Basically you need to keep him on a tight leash.

Isn't it /pfg/'s fault for always sucking 3pp cock and wanting to use ALL THE 3PP EVER in a game?

Why blame a guy for doing what that other thread always wants to do, use a ton of 3pp books from different publishers?

And besides, didn't that one guy 2hu was helping say "I WANT to use these different publishers' shit" anyway? He's doing what the guy was asking for in the damn first place.
>>
>>48321792
lol
>>
Why do some of you always homebrew your own settings and campaigns, rather than using published ones?

If you make your own setting, do you find that you ever lack for detail and history? Have you ever had a player who really wanted to get into the history of the setting, but couldn't because you didn't have all those answers?
>>
File: Character creation list.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Character creation list.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>
>>48322813
Dude! Nice.

(You spelled Zendikar wrong, though. And Tuktuk.)
>>
>>48322798
>Why do some of you always homebrew your own settings and campaigns, rather than using published ones?
Because forgotten realms is shit and ravenloft is not my thing.
>If you make your own setting, do you find that you ever lack for detail and history?
nope I make it up myself and have a pretty detailed history.
> Have you ever had a player who really wanted to get into the history of the setting, but couldn't because you didn't have all those answers?
Nope because like I said I IN DEPTH build a history for each city/town/nation in my world.
>>
File: concerned man.jpg (14 KB, 236x265) Image search: [Google]
concerned man.jpg
14 KB, 236x265
>>48322813
>the content bloat has begun
>>
>>48322877
go fuck yourself
>>
>>48322868
How do you go about having that history so in depth? (Actually asking, because I'm in that boat, as a DM)

I do agree that FR is shit; but there are settings out there that I do like, like Lost Lands, for example.
>>
>>48322798
nah, not really. most of the time i just bullshit things and it works out fine. i mean i *do* have a couple of pages written out about the who's who and major NPCs, but the party has barely met 1 of them so im not too worried about that stuff just yet.

oh, and i do use published settings every now and again, but i cant be assed to memorize all that stupid shit half the time so i end up making my own NPCs too.
>>
>>48322798
I tend to tie my custom adventures in Forgotten Realms because I think it's awesome for the players to know some of the places they'll adventure at one point of their D&D career. It's easier for the players to roleplay in a world where they know at least some of the landmarks.

I've never had any player come back to me with such an experience, but I like to imagine them getting excited over their character discovering Waterdeep if, as a player, they've already heard (or adventured) in the city in one of their previous session, maybe years ago.
It's kinda annoying sometimes, the Sword Coast can get a bit cramped up.

That being said, I take some liberties. My version of Forgotten Realms always have a big magical authority (the Octave, since there are 8 schools of magic), either as an antagonist or as the player's (often indirect) employer.

Depending on the question I'll make my own answer, since I can use the wiki for help or inspiration. Forgotten Realms authors aren't geniuses or amazing creators, or at least nothing I consider above my capabilities, as a result, and I don't mind mixing it up a bit.
>>
>>48322910
I've got several history majors in my group, and they love it when I drop historical hints; not sure if I can pull that sort of thing off with a homebrew setting, even though I have several ideas for one. I just look at making the entire world and go, "Fuck me. Where do I even start?"
>>
>>48322000
Proud, anon. Proud.
>>
>>48322996
start small. pick a spot where the players are and start building a little bit here and there. then stop and thinkabout what the things youve built would mean for the surrounding areas, and expand from there.

a shipping port would need other places to ship to, and things to ship. so the continent may have some kind of natural resource or manufactured goods needed elsewear in the world, which in turns may mean that the politics of that area are heavily influenced by their trading partners, and so on.
>>
>>48323033
think* about, elsewhere*
>>
>>48322904
When I build my world I first build the story of the world itself. Natural wonders, magical forests, and other shit like that. Then I make a map that includes these. After that I plot out what I want my finished nations to be and where I want my population centers/racial homes/and stuff like that to be.

Then I start at the beginning and bullshit a story of how that nation was founded and what made it what it is today. During this time I add ruins and forts to my map based off of where I believe skirmishes would require forts. I make notes of notable leaders and such along the way.

Once I have done this for everything that matters I build my gods to fit my setting. I add holy sites and religious figures to previous histories I might tweak in a religious war or so.

Finally I decide how I want previous heroes and villains to have influenced my setting and record their stories. Add more ruins and secrets being sure to leave room for stuff to be added as we play.

Thats pretty much all there is. Be general about these details so you can add more later but be specific enough that you know what happened. It takes me weeks to design a setting and I am used to it so my way might not be the best idea for some.
>>
File: 1463101382673.jpg (56 KB, 460x800) Image search: [Google]
1463101382673.jpg
56 KB, 460x800
Playing Curse of Strahd. Players killed the Wachters after the townsfolk in Vallaki killed the Baron and his family. Wat do?
>>
>>48323117
Strahd shouldn't stand by while his land and people are messed with by outsiders.
>>
>>48323033
>>48322996
I'll add to this that you don't need to make it a big deal. Most players won't ask a whole lotta questions (except if they're legitimately trying to fuck with you, as they should, but that's why you're the DM and you took an improvisation class, right?) and you can always fall back on the good old classics.

Theocratic empires, contentious baronies, greedy city-state governments... They exist in our stories as much as they do in our history. You don't need to reinvent what's already out there.
>>
>>48323137
>his
truth. guy is fiercely territorial.

Im having him meet the PCs when they complete the death house to personally thank them for getting rid of that eyesore and rewarding the tomelock with the book of shadows.

any suggestions as to how to RP this?
>>
File: 1276068952395.png (34 KB, 690x656) Image search: [Google]
1276068952395.png
34 KB, 690x656
>>48322862
I swear to god I need an editor, I never recognize typos no matter how often I look at the document.
>>
>>48322798
I just don't care about published settings, even the more interesting ones, to the point where I can make something up faster than I could ever learn any published lore and I can remember it better too. I'm always happy to oblige a curious player because I do think players should be informed so that their characters feel like they're a part of the world, so much so that I'm more than willing to adopt anything a creative player may themselves make up since they're more likely to give a shit about the game that way, but I've never had a situation where someone asked more questions than I could make up an answer to and such a situation still sounds preferable to a player disrupting the game and trying to backseat GM because they know the setting better than me.
>>
>>48323378
If you make typos on a 3 pages document you don't need an editor, you need a specialized educator.
>>
>>48323465
>3 pages document
>>
>>48323491
kek
>>
>>48323438
Memorizing lore is easy for me, personally; its coming up with that lore that I find difficult.

>>48323378
Put it in Google docs or Microsoft Word and have it read it back to you.
>>
Our Gm somehow thought that "Challenge Rating" is supposed to be what the party's levels added up to and decided that, since our 4 level 3 PC collectively added up to CR 12 it was time to take on a Beholder since it was "Only" CR 13
>>
>>48324264
your GM is a retard. s/he needs to read his books.
>>
File: the book of negroes.png (427 KB, 428x587) Image search: [Google]
the book of negroes.png
427 KB, 428x587
>>48324264
So how'd it go down?
>>
>>48324264
lulz...

I had a DM that did something worse. He thought that a creature's CR meant that it was an appropriate monster for the party's *average* level, meaning that our average level was level 8, so he could have 12 CR8s in a fight.

Party almost wiped. No, the DM didn't read the books. He seems to think he doesn't need to, for some un-fucking-godly reason. *ANGRY*
>>
>>48324322
Where did they get '12' from?
>>
>>48317880
So it's physically impossible to slide under someone's legs if they're your size? That's something you can do in the real world
>>
>>48324392
The DM probably pulled it from their ass, really. We were going to hunt down this necromancer who was attempting to open a gate to the plane of shadow; the necromancer had a bunch of ghoul bodyguards...and, for some reason, the DM decided to make them CR8.

I can't fathom why he decided to do so, and decided to look up just that chart from the DMG, rather than reading the rest of the book. Still boggles my mind. He looked so surprised when I worked out for him the actual difficulty.

>>48324487
I'd probably allow it as an action and a successful Acrobatics check...but, the guy you're sliding is getting an OA out of it.
>>
>>48324487
>>48324509
There are rules for tumbling (opposed acrobatics) and overrunning (opposed athletics) in the DMG.

Also don't bring in 3.PF's use of opportunity attacks in as some sort of "balance" like it's a valid method of balancing anything. That's cancer.
>>
Hey, /5eg/, I'm looking for a map for a three-story building in a traditional city; got any ideas?
>>
>>48324521
Not a balance at all; just makes sense to me, in a dramatic fashion. Still uses the bad guy's reaction, as a normal attack of opportunity!
>>
>>48324542
try using the death house from Curse of strahd.

or are you looking for something huge?
>>
>>48324607
Not at all, no; that's not a bad idea, either. It's a fairly small home/shop for a sorcerer. The party is inheriting it, and it's got some secrets.
>>
>>48311690
>Questgiver seems helpful, but he's a warlock working for the Winter Court. (Human, so no detecting, turning or whatever). First quest was to eliminate competition for his faction of fae.
>(Human, so no detecting, turning or whatever)
This is a great reason to have warlocks that I never thought about before.

>>48313905
>from the burning oil.
>The oil burns when the target takes fire damage.
>But it doesn't say the oil goes away when it burns so it's still there.
My car burns gas. You think I put more gas in my car because it evaporates?

>>48314166
>Because I've done the bard already and it looks like I'm not letting other people "have their turn"
Yeah. Share the bard. Free love. There's enough bard for everyone.
>>
>>48324487
>That's something you can do in the real world.

Is it? To be honest I have never ACTUALLY seen someone try to SLIDE under the legs of someone actively trying to kill them with a sword or battle axe or something. It makes perfect sense. Not only that but the maneuver is completely sidestepped by the individual in question just closing their legs.

Its impossible IRL and impossible in game for the same reason.

And to top it all off, even if you DID manage to this, you would still be adjacent to the enemy and prone, so you would be getting disadvantage on your attack rolls. Plus the enemy would be landing on you, following the falling object damage guidelines from the DMG.
>>
>>48318493
And the magic item economy and expected gold by level. So other than feats, skills, and magic items.
>>
Had first session a while ago. It was supposed to be a low-magic kind of thing, not a single caster in the party. Level 1 too. The whole session was just the elf showing off her ears in the tavern, which made the current antagonist which we were supposed to detain there run away for the (IRL) next two hours.

We followed and killed something like 4 of his henchmen, one of the party's two rogues (the other being me) managed to convince some more to go away peacefully. It ended on a cliffhanger with the guy escaping and us hearing someone laugh.

The closest thing to a That Guy was me since I still didn't have some of the rules clear and it took me a minute or two to figure out how roll20 tokens worked. My experience with /tg/ greentexts pointed towards the elf player eventually trying to derail shit but he turned out to be probably the best and most enthusiastic player there. Everyone seems legitimately invested on the campaign, everyone showed up on time, no special snowflake characters, good DM as far as I could tell. I expected worse from all the memeing about roll20. I just hope things start being more eventful once we get past level 1
>>
>>48325127
Here's why it's dumb in short: when fighting, you put your off side forward and your strong side behind. You would only have both knees facing the guy you were fighting if you were staggered. You would have to maneuver around his guard to even attempt that.
>>
>>48325127

Falling object guidelines? What page can I find that on?
>>
>>48320876
USE THE FATIGUE RULES.
>>
>>48320876
>this text
>i read it as "impending T-rex invasion"
im sorry, i dont even want to help you anymore now that t-rexes arnt invading
>>
>>48320540
>a bomb specialist.
>>48320593
Also, it's not a traditional D&D class, so I'm not surprised it's taking longer to make.
>>
>>48318301
I can't find anything more on the "alternate" ranger playtest material.

The concepts seem interesting, at least (2d6 hit die!). Has the alternate ranger been revisited at all, has anyone built a custom class based on that of any quality, should I do it myself, and if I do it myself are there any ideas/guidelines you think I should use?
>>
>>48325647
That depends on a number of factors. If you're fighting with a sabre or rapier, for example, you're likely to have your strong side forward. You're correct that you'd almost never face your opponent square, and even then only briefly.
>>
What do you do when your players have gotten too many magic items?

Sneak thieves, capture, cursed bags of holding and of course death seem to be the go-to classics. What are some other ones?
>>
>First time DM next week
>Not sure how long my players will take
>Only doing a 2 hour session
>Not sure how many encounters they'll even get through

It would be smarter to make more than less right?
>>
>>48326005
Just get rid of the class and play as a fighter or a druid. Or a multiclass fighter/druid.
>>
>>48326142
As long as there is a point to the encounters, sure. Encounters for encounters sake can get kinda boring.
>>
File: tyrone laughing for 20 aeons.jpg (90 KB, 620x670) Image search: [Google]
tyrone laughing for 20 aeons.jpg
90 KB, 620x670
>>48326142
>first time DM
>2 hours for first session
>how many encounters

Just one:[spoilers] character creation.[/spoilers]
>>
File: cmon bud.jpg (21 KB, 241x249) Image search: [Google]
cmon bud.jpg
21 KB, 241x249
>>48326126
That's so fucking cheap from a DM to steal things from his players because suddenly this stupid fuck thinks that "it's too many items".

They haven't "gotten" too many magic items. You somehow gave them to me. And now you're having second thoughts because you're too much of an idiot to think of challenging puzzles? too much of an illiterate cretin to think of great battles where they can use the tools you gave them while still being threatened?

Ugh. Yeah. I suppose you can go for the classics. "Cursed bag of holding" is probably the best, most original thing your players have heard from you.
>>
>>48326182
They've already made their characters.

>>48326158
Yeah that's what I'm worried about. I'm sure I'll be able to think of stuff once they start playing.
>>
>>48326142
What you want is to drop them in a little village. It's a lot of work even with only 10 NPCs, because you want them to be interesting and compelling, but this way they'll get to pick the quests they're interested in.

You'll get to figure what type of players they are, and you'll reuse a lot of things you've already done.

Also, prepare some handouts. New players love that shit.
Low-magic, "mundane" items are great too.
>>
>>48326126
That's not a problem I really run into, but a couple of options:

Depending on what the specific items are, put them in a situation where sharing their items is to their advantage. An NPC ally could put that old +1 rapier to good use, perhaps. Make it work out for them for a while, then kill off the NPC while he still has their gear. Oops, fell in lava. Good thing he volunteered to go across that sketchy bridge first.

Have somebody demand a valuable item for cooperatoon/hostage release/plot macguffin. Magic items are valuable.

Both of these have the advantage of letting the players choose what they're giving up.
>>
>>48326308
Hmm..
I might have to change the introduction of the campaign to slow them down a little bit. Instead of having them arrive in the capital, they'll make a name for themselves first and then be summoned for the "main story".
>>
>>48326255
You mad, I'd hate to see you lose a character. Losing items is perfectly normal in D&D. I was just planning ahead, if they stole a shipment of spell gems they were suppose to deliver.
>>
I'm planning to give one of my players a gun (pirate background). Any advice/tips/warnings?
>>
>>48318818
One is evil, one isn't proficient, and another has sunlight sensitivity.
>>
File: 1370643407721.jpg (33 KB, 498x315) Image search: [Google]
1370643407721.jpg
33 KB, 498x315
>>48317988
>mfw thief with dawnbringer

She really is the best sword.
>>
>>48326381
What I recommend is doing the same that Lost Mines of Phandelver does: starting with the PCs escorting some kind of expedition. Then they get a little bit of roleplay with the very few NPCs you give them, and you can make some kind of tutorial combat as well (goblins, kuo-toas, kobolds, bullywugs, ...).

Then they arrive in this little village and they get to do a ton of shit, or very little depending on your players.

What's important in this is diversity. Giving them very different quests: convince the local noble, help the poors, hunt the ghosts, investigate the doppleganger, resolve the drama, fuck the dryad, etc.
>>
>>48320876
Don't worry about every single combat encounter being challenging. Build an entire session of 15 ~encounters, mixing combat and non-combat yet dangerous encounters. Base each encounter around 1 gimmick, maybe 2 gimmicks if you re-use a gimmick and then you put a spin on it. Here's the end result:

The players approach encounter 1. They discover gimmick. They adapt to gimmick and quickly overcome, and move on with minimal resource cost(consumables, hit die expended, short/long rest use expended, spell slots, etc.) Or they fail to adapt quickly and expend a significant amount of resources, possibly just for retreat. Dice rolls add some randomness to the cost(ie. crits and crit fails). There are plenty of other encounters to even it all out. Encounter takes 5-6 rounds on average, if you're seeing 10 rounds there's probably too much unless the players are in a final all-or-nothing. Players begin to experience resource scarcity as they approach the end of the run of encounters, putting them on edge. Skim a bunch of environment based foes and hazards and throw them together something like this guys list >>48321025

>Navigation rolls
quicksand, vines
>Stop to rest
Fire ants wake them up
>fleeing an encounter/chase encounter
stampede
>Off the path dangers
poisonous plants
>Hostile weather
Torrential Rain
>Things you really didn't want to find while split from the party
Tree Snakes
>Interactive dangers of the environment
giant bee hives(nearby when you're fighting cannibals)
>Natural hazards
Falling Trees, Fast Rivers and Waterfalls
>Memorable monster attack
Giant Chameleons

Now with these encounters together the sorcerer who got poisoned by the plant is now getting washed down the fast river towards a waterfall because he was fleeing the camouflaged giant chameleons that struck during the torrential rain the party wasn't prepared for because they couldn't rest due to fire ants after they "avoided" the cannibals by upsetting the giant bee hives.
>>
>>48326428

>One isn't proficient

Wizard? If he went Bladesinger, he could get proficient in it...
>>
My players have encountered a demon that is capable of possessing individuals.

I can just have it possess NPCs, but logically it would try to possess the players. Any advice on how to handle player possession in a fun way for the players?
>>
>>48326126
Give them the opportunity to exchange the magic item(s) for something else they want/need.
>>
So im rollibg up a wizard and want to make a necromancer. What reasons would a gnome become a necromancer?
>>
>>48326660
Because it pisses people off, which fits perfectly for a gnome.
>>
So one of my PCs want a quick way to power and to get an edge over the others so I'm planning on letting him get the attention of some evil gods.

Would having him lose sanity then start mutating using the rules for Emrakul's corruption be a good way to do this? And in return he gets buffs to combat related stuff.
>>
>>48326609
> how to handle player possession in a fun way for the players?
If it's a silly game you can download an app voice synthesizer and make the player talk through it while he's being possessed.
I don't think there really is a way to make it "fun" for him though, and since it's not really supposed to be a fun experience it's probably OK.

In combat, let the guy play his character. You pick the target, but he gets to choose how his character fights. Well, obviously, only if you trust the guy to act in good faith.

That's about it IMHO.
>>
>>48326660
>He takes control of dead things taller than him
Short man Complex

>He wanted to resurrect his dead relative/lover/mentor and got sucked in to the darknethhhh
Edge Classic

>I read some books and found out I'm just good at necromancy lol
Skeletons are rad rationalizer
>>
>>48326717
> one of my PCs want a quick way to power and to get an edge over the other
Holy fucking shit that's bad news. I would STRONGLY advise against indulging him.

>>48326660
Because he realizes the untapped power that is undead labor, of course. It's a "classic" in /tg/, but it's still a pretty good one since people aren't nearly as autisticly in love with the game than we are.

Or maybe he doesn't think it's that bad of a thing. He's a bit socially retarded and awkward, and he does it without thinking it would shock people around. "I mean, you know I'm only using dead bodies, right? They're really, really dead. And they don't really care either, you know. Since they're dead."
>>
>>48326799
Even if it's a two edge sword?

Since I'm thinking of using Emrakul's rules for 5th to corrupt him to the point he'll basically become a Chaos Spawn and then have to find a way to get rid of it before he turns.
>>
>>48326609
So it can and will just try and possess anyone around all willy-nilly with no restrictions, methods, plans or motivations that may lead it to be selective of its victims or cautious when dealing with a group of adventurers? And you are only just now asking yourself and others this question after you have introduced this thing into your game?
>>
Anyone know what adventure this map is from?

http://img03.deviantart.net/28bf/i/2015/116/0/c/the_frozen_mansion_by_theredepic-d4d4xi1.jpg
>>
>>48326609
Make it possess the good one. Make the good one able to resist.
>>
>>48326861
I guess it depends of your players, naturally. The thing with this kind of things is that you want the "payoff" to be subtle at first. So the PC making the deal is going to feel great at first, and going to regret only later.

Problem is, the first sessions are very important to your players. They're going to compare each others a lot at first, especially if they start lvl 1 when they don't have a whole lot going on.

I think it's a lot better if you introduce the demon / evil gods / fiends in the game, and then you allow him to make some kind of pact. The other PCs are going to feel a lot more invested in it, even if they don't strike any pact themselves.

If you do it in some kind of backstory it may feel like the guy just cheated. Obviously they coulda asked when they created their characters, just as he did, but it doesn't matter.

So even if mechanically you make something balanced, it doesn't really matter to your players because what's important is how they feel. If you have to reply everytime they complain that the other PC is more powerful than their characters "yea but look it's balanced because xxx"... you've already lost.

Finally, the player wanting to "have an edge over the other" is bad news in itself. It means the guy's already in the wrong mindset. D&D is a group game. Playing it any other way and indulging a competitive mindset, especially from the get go, and ESPECIALLY if you're rewarding the guy with epic boonies (because your character making a pact with old evil gods is awesome, doesn't matter the drawbacks)... Ugh. It doesn't end well.
>>
>>48326891
None.

https://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=12794
>>
>>48326891
It's not from an adventure, it's from deviant art.
The guy just made a cool looking map.

> For this map i was thinking that some rich lord or wizard who dabbled to much in sorcery has unleashed something that has frozen his/her home. Its escaped and taken its revenge. Or it could be a haunted mansion somewhere int he mountains, or just somebodies home.

You could have known that by googling "the frozen mansion".
>>
>>48327031
>https://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=12794

Ah, damn. I was hoping for an outside view...
>>
I think the sorcerer's capstone should come with the class gaining sorcery points at level two, maybe starting out at regaining one or two points every short rest, and slowly ramping up to six by the last levels.
I think that would make the class feel just enough better.
>>
>>48327111
They don't need it.

Monks need a way to refill their Ki early on.
Sorcerers don't. Because they're very fucking powerful already.
>>
>>48327167
>Because they're very fucking powerful already
They're not in the least. If you count quick casting a low level spell followed by a cantrip "very fucking powerful" you haven't played the game much.
Wizards are strictly better at almost anything - the only unique thing a sorcerer can do is twin a single target concentration spell that's actually uniquely great.
>>
Sorcerers already have a mechanic for refilling their sorcery points you fucking moron.
>>
File: 1372993262184.png (326 KB, 561x590) Image search: [Google]
1372993262184.png
326 KB, 561x590
>>48327248
>Sorcerers already have a mechanic for refilling their sorcery points
Yeah. Sacrificing the spell slots that they have an identical number of to everyone else.
Brilliantly efficient and totally worth it ever so often.
>>
>>48327221
That, and being charisma based. And, arguably, being better at damage output.

But I mean yeah, just believe what you want and homebrew how you want.

But in the end, they don't really need it.
>>
>>48327276

Yes, it is, you dumb cunt.
>>
>>48327300
An evocation wizard is better at burst damage output due to overchannel at higher levels, and barely worse earlier (quickened + cantrip isn't that impressive).

Nobody "needs" anything. It's just comparing them to others - relative strength and utility they come off worse than bards and wizards by not negligible gaps. Sorcerers by no means unplayable, but wizards and bards are simply stronger mechanically.

>>48327325
>Yes it is you dumb cunt
Yeah, because trading in spell slots for sorcery points is totally worth it >2% of the time.
If you haven't played the fucking class (or even the game) nobody gives a shit about your worthless opinion bro. kay why ess
>>
File: maes.jpg (64 KB, 739x457) Image search: [Google]
maes.jpg
64 KB, 739x457
>>48327378
>saying full casters need ridiculous improvements like moving capstones to 2nd level
the absolute madman
>>
File: 1446349822961.png (90 KB, 210x210) Image search: [Google]
1446349822961.png
90 KB, 210x210
>>48327436
>full casters are anything like pathfinder or 3.5
Why talk about 5e when you haven't even played it?
Wizards and bards are better than sorcerers in 90% of circumstances. If you want to nerf wizards and bards (even though they don't need it - they're good not over-good) go for it, since it's relative strength that's being discussed.
>>
>>48327436
It's OK to do so because the other full casters are better at everything (quickened + cantrip isn't that impressive shut up)

Maybe after I'm done being a faggot on /tg/ I'll play bard for one session and then complain that it's not strong enough and that they should get Magical Secrets at 2nd level. I mean have you played the class? I heard some specialized Wizards can be better than my character at doing some things. Imagine the infamy.

Let's also pretend that it's OK to give sorcerers a way to get spell slots back on a short rest. I mean yeah that's pretty much the only thing warlocks are good for, but you know? comparatively? wizards? are so much better?

Well anyway I've got at least three cocks to suck so I'll be on my way now.

This is you, >>48327378 , by the way. You dumb shit.
>>
File: 1429822444715.png (237 KB, 547x510) Image search: [Google]
1429822444715.png
237 KB, 547x510
>>48327518
>comparing magical secrets to 2 sorcerery points (the equivalent of one first level spell slot) on a short rest
>>
Although I can't help but feel it would look ridiculous, is there any reason a Wizard who doesn't use a weapon can't wield a shield for that sweet sweet +2 AC? I want to add a bit more AC to the enemy wizard in tonight's session but I don't like giving enemies bonuses just because.
>>
File: baboon tracphone.gif (3 MB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
baboon tracphone.gif
3 MB, 200x200
>>48327111
>>48327518
>>48327276

>not dipping warlock to convert pact magic slots into SP

Do you even play this game?
>>
>>48327623
>enemy wizard
If you're the DM, you can (and should) make NPCs with whatever abilities suit them best. Making them with PC rules is a waste of time.

So yes, give him a shield.
>>
>>48327626
Having a patron doesn't fit with everyone's concept at all. A class should fit its own fluff and be mechanically on par with others who do similar things while having its own unique strengths/spin to it.

>>48327623
Wizards don't necessarily train in how to use shields - they don't have shield proficiency.
>>
>>48327478
>wizard & bard
>small gap
>sorc & other casters
>huge gap
>martials
the small gap isn't the problem mate
>>48327518
this
>>
>>48327111
I think that would be a bit much, considering how versatile and effective SP can be. It would also make the sorclock multiclass even stronger.

I do agree that they should of made some way to regenerate SP outside of a long rest and spell conversion but I couldn't tell you how they could do it while maintaining balance.
>>
File: steins bait.png (37 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
steins bait.png
37 KB, 625x626
>>48327681
So it should have the benefits of being a warlock without the drawbacks of taking warlock levels?
Okay.
>>
File: 1425064277006.jpg (36 KB, 536x428) Image search: [Google]
1425064277006.jpg
36 KB, 536x428
>>48327770
Having a patron isn't necessarily a "drawback" at all downs-clown. That's like saying a cleric having a deity is a drawback.
>>
>>48327810
I mean missing out on taking sorceror to 20, but okay, sure.
also I'm sure people have made the argument that serving a deity or patron is a drawback but that's more relevant in other editions
>>
>>48327737
Martials are all fine in 5e - they're tougher and far more consistent than full casters and can keep going when casters run out of juice. 5e in general is designed with long encounters and grindy fights with many enemies in mind. Read the encounter shit in the DMG.

>>48327836
>I mean missing out on taking sorceror to 20
Ah, that's fine then. Sorcerer capstone is the shittiest in the book outside maybe ranger though. It's not good at all. And obviously not very many games at all see play of 20th level player characters.
>>
>>48315342
so my friend told me that bard were trash but I skimmed through there spells and whatnot and they seem pretty good honestly
>>
>>48327908
Bards are amazing. Especially lore.
>>
File: spookyblue baby punching.gif (163 KB, 329x353) Image search: [Google]
spookyblue baby punching.gif
163 KB, 329x353
>>48327681
>Having a patron doesn't fit with everyone's concept at all.

The character finds out where their magic really comes from, turns out it wasn't their own enlightened intelligence or random mutation. It's a lot cooler and more in line with D&D than the Shadowrun tier fluff they get by default.

Anyways, stop bitching about crunch when solutions exist, masterb8'er.
>>
>>48327895
I agree with you about martials in theory but most DMs straight up do not run adventuring days "correctly" as the rules intend.
>>
>>48327940
I'm did not say "someone can't have a backstory that fits it". I'm saying not everyone wants to take warlock levels just to make their sorcerer play more consistently, since alot of people just want their character to be a sorcerer without making pacts with elder aliens demons or whatever.
>>
>>48327908
Bards are very nice. They lack powerful burst spells but make up for it in utility and healing, as well as being great skill monkeys.
>>
>>48327908
Bard is the best class in the game for many reasons.
They don't suit every style and roleplay wise a lot of people see them as silly.
Which is understandable since you'll be singing and playing your way to victory.

But if it does suit your style, they're amazingly fun to play.

At 6th level, if you go Lore, you can pick Ranger & Paladin spells that are supposed to be for 9th (or, depending of your DM, 13th) level characters. Aura of Vitality is a fun thing to grab at 6th.

Valor Bards are pretty fucking good as well. My Dwarven Bard is still one of my favorite characters ever.
>>
>>48327987
not that anon, but My sorcerer is plenty consistent without any reworks or warlock dips.
>>
>>48327973
I dunno. I do. Otherwise it can be really dull for martials when their casters end an encounter in a torrent of magic, get a long rest, and do the same thing again. Casters should be forced to choose when to blow and when to reserve their magical energies as an *ACTUALLY* important thing.
>>
>>48328045
They're not broken, they're just slightly weaker than wizards and bards, which are the closest things I'd compare a sorcerer to.
I like sorcerers alot, especially fluff-wise - I just think they just need a tiny extra mechanical edge given all the really powerful constraint they have on their spell selection.
>>
>>48327993
so here's the deal my cousin whos never really played dnd came into town and he love music and stuff but I don't want him to feel under power next to my min maxing ass regulars so I figured id check with /TG/ first thank you for the help btw
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 42

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.