[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Malifaux General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
Brand new to malifaux but not to gaming war gaming.

I have literally loved every bit of fluff I have read and many of the characters and factions have interesting backstories.

Reminds me a lot of a game of mordheim.

Why is this game not more popular? especially on /tg/ ?
>>
>>48311792

It was big at the end of 1st edition. The game itself was unwieldy with some confusing mechanics and needed to be cleaned up so 2nd edition was conceived (I was involved with playtesting at one point).

The decision to prioritise the release of new models/factions over updating older ones (ruleswise, not updating models as they were fine albeit metal) was what the main reason it died a death: the Stitched Together were the reason I started the game and with no outline of a time for an updated ruleset for them I wasn't waiting around indefinitely. It appears to be something echoed in other gaming groups and it fizzled out as people drifted to games with models they *could* use.

I sold up and took up Warmachine and haven't looked back nad though the models are nowhere near as nice, I can play with the ones I want to (even if they were nerfed in the new edition).
>>
>>48312179
makes sense. the game has exploded at my flgs though, picks up a new player about every week too. have you played a game since they released those stiched rules?
>>
>>48312179
They definitely shot themselves in the foot when they delayed being able to play some of the most popular masters for about a year.
I personally haven't loved the new directions the games been heading (visually/ruleswise). I do however still love the games core mechanics and hate how I basically will never find a ripoff game with them.
>>
>>48311792
How badly they handled the transition to 2nd hurt it, but I'd say its bouncing back. Its just hard to get over a set back like that.
>>
I got interested in the game because of the new plastic models. the old metal ones were literally all trash
>>
How good is the McMourning box? How about the one with the Guild Lawyers?
>>
>>48311792
>Mordheim
With the Shifting Loyalties campaign system, for sure. I seriously want to give that a go with some friends. It may not have your dudes, but Malifaux has some bitching figurines and fun rules.
>>
File: Malifaux-Jorango.jpg (74 KB, 960x773) Image search: [Google]
Malifaux-Jorango.jpg
74 KB, 960x773
>>48314125
I am in the same boat. Seeing the older figures and art at my FLGS drew nothing but scorn from me. Especially the Seamus Avatar just looked dumb.
The new consistent art style however is really nice, and the models are certainly on another level than the average metal dudes in blisters that every other company does. It has only gotten better since the Core Rulebook (Which had some bad formatting and some gross old M1E art) to the 3rd book which has full art for every single model.

The only real exceptions I can think of is the old Nekima which is much larger and has a much better pose than the current one, and the old Collete who, while flat, has a better design IMO. The execution with the CAD stuff just can't be beat by most of the older figures.
>>
>>48314264
Both the McMourning and Lucius boxes are good choices. McMourning's box primarily leans towards Ressers, whereas Lucius's is more of a guild box. Each one should get you 25 SS easily. Expanding on McMourning's with the University of Transmortis box wouldn't be bad. Lucius synergizes with mimics and guardsmen specifically, so throwing in some beckoners or guild hounds if you want to push around tokens is a solid plan depending on which faction you want to run him as.
>>
>>48311792
I imagine that there just isn't as much to discuss when it comes to the rules due to the listbuilding. I love the fluff and how it shows that every faction isn't just a monolithic entity, but I guess that Malifaux and its "Era" just don't interest the average person. It is one of the more popular games where I am, but mileage certainly varies.
>>
>>48315871
I can't wait til those guys get models.
>>
>>48314264
If you're about to jump into the game, then don't try Lucious. Mainly because when you play him you need to manage both fighting against your enemy, and exhausting your own forces by yourself to do cool things

McMourning on the other hand is a quite nasty dude. You just need to get yourself a box of guild autopsies and/or crooked man - depends on your preferences and style. And then just start rolling. For myself I've started with Seamus, and had a blast. Tried Nico and bounced off of him. Them I've staretd playing McMourning and now, I can't even thing about trying out remaining masters (with Reva beeing a small exception, since we don't know the full contents of her crew box).
>>
Here's some stuff from previous Generals:

Books:
https://mega.nz/#F!M9dyDTrI!eNYCwqvg4iPWy_z-M0P9dw

Book 1 - Basic Rules and first wave of updated (from 1st edition of malifaux) models
Book 2 - Second wave of updated models
Book 3 - Campaign system and new M2E models

Through the Breach Fated Almanac - Basic rules for the RPG set in Malifaux
Through the Breach Fatemaster Almanac - GM stuff for the RPG

New Gaining Grounds Tournament Rules:
http://themostexcellentandawesomeforumever-wyrd.com/topic/114900-gaining-grounds-2016/
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.