[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm going to only my second D&D session tomorrow, should
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: DDdude.png (166 KB, 395x293) Image search: [Google]
DDdude.png
166 KB, 395x293
I'm going to only my second D&D session tomorrow, should I buy my own players handbook?
>>
Which edition? I'd say you'd probably want more than one for 3.5 unless it's a small group, but you probably don't need more than one for 5e unless your group really likes casting spells and sucks at memorizing them
>>
>>48237858
We're 5e, and I don't know the game at all, and I'm basically being given a crash course on how the game works as we encounter things.
>>
>>48237858
I might want to mention that this group is part of the Adventurers League.
>>
>>48237864
As long as somebody has a phb and you aren't in a particularly large group you're probably fine

Or better yet, just ask them when you see them tomorrow
>>
>>48237820

Start with the basic rules
Web: http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop/players-basic-rules

Pdf: http://media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/DND/PlayerBasicRulesV03.pdf

Those are great but basic and leave out a lot of Races/Classes/Archetypes. You're probably going to want to get the PHB and the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide eventually, but I wouldn't be in any hurry. AL doesn't require you to show purchase receipts the way PFS does.
>>
It's not really neccesary. I get by with the pdfs on my computer and tablet, and I don't really have a lot I need to look up when playing.
>>
File: 1441507251140.jpg (56 KB, 340x565) Image search: [Google]
1441507251140.jpg
56 KB, 340x565
> spending 50 bucks on a system you probably will stop playing when you play, I dunno, literally any other RPG besides FATAL.

Yeah I don't think so. Your money has better places to go than the pockets of Kike Mearls and the Jews of the Coast.
>>
>>48241183
>waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah waaaaaaaaaaaah
>stop doing what I do not like

Jesus fucking christ you fuckers are getting pathetic.
>>
>>48240387
For what possible reason would he need a Sword Coast book? He already has a character, he's not shopping about for a super-special new class, and the new cantrips aren't worth buying a new book for.
Double so if you aren't even playing in that campaign world.
>>
>>48241232
He's right though.

I started with 4e, experimented with pf/3.5, then dropped D&D and D20 based systems wholesale as soon as I discovered BRP and WHFRP.

D&D is pretty much only played because it's memetic.

It's a bit of an impotent sacred cow.
>>
No. Just use the srd websites. Google them, faggot.
>>
>>48241255

Did you miss him saying he's in AL? AL characters are automatically either PHB+SCAG or PHB+EEPC and there's no reason not to eventually acquire the books you'll be playing under.
>>
>>48237820
So, I know the guy in that picture. He runs a larp that I went to for about 4 years. He's a prick.
>>
>>48241232
>>48241302
Yeah, 3.5 was the system that I was introduced on and I pretty much never played it after that single session.
>>
Laptop/tablet + pirated .pdf
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.