[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MTG Magic The Gathering Ask A Judge - People Need To Quit Putting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 34
File: 57.jpg (46 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
57.jpg
46 KB, 312x445
Good morning boys and girls, and welcome to your vaguely-regularly scheduled AAJ Thread!

Reminder for spoiled cards: I can give you the best answer I can give, but it MIGHT be incorrect for some wonky shit that I'd need to know the actual CR of the mechanic for, and some rules might change between now and the release of the set, changing answers. Take all spoiler answers with a grain of salt.
>>
How does Morph interact with Emerge?
>>
>>48176622
Poorly. Face-down creatures have a CMC of zero.
>>
>>48176622
The CMC of a face-down creature is 0, so unless for some reason Emerge looks at the CMC of the card in the graveyard, it's not gonna work that well except as a sac outlet.
>>
>>48176642
gA, release notes are out! We can give ~real rulings~ now!
>>
How does tangle wire work ? Do I tap shit first and then remove the fading counter on my upkeep ?
>>
>>48176810
So, Tangle Wire has two triggered abilities. The first is Fading, which tells you to remove a Fade counter from it at the beginning of your upkeep, and sacrifice it if you cannot. The second is the one that tells you to tap an untapped artifact/creature/land for every Fade counter on it.

Since it's YOUR Tangle Wire, you can stack those triggers as you like- you could tap down your things and then remove a counter (don't do that one), or you can remove a counter and THEN tap down. Because you can stack the triggers like this, you're basically one step ahead of your opponent- you play Wire, and on his turn he taps 4 things, then you tap 3, he taps 3 and then you tap 2, etc.
>>
File: scornful.jpg (75 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
scornful.jpg
75 KB, 312x445
>>48176622
>>48176629
>>48176642
Hey, I know at least one Morph creature that works great with Emerge
>>
New-ish player here, if I cast Path to Exile on my buddy's Snapcaster Mage while it's on the stack does the Mate's ability still go through?
>>
>>48177280
*Mage's
>>
>>48177280
You can't do that. You can't cast Path to Exile on the Snapcaster until it's on the battlefield, at which point the trigger is on the stack, and removing the source of an ability on the stack does not stop the ability inherently.
>>
Lunch bump
>>
Does multiple copies of minds dilation trigger on opponents first cast?
So 2x dilations lead to 2x exiled cards off a single cast?
>>
>>48178590
Yep! Each one triggers from the same event, and each trigger resolves separately. You'll exile the top card of their library (and maybe cast it), then exile the NEW top card (and maybe cast it). It's important you do it in order, because the first card you flip over (if you cast it) will have to resolve before you can get to the second one.
>>
>>48178626
Thanks for the info. Seems too spicy to ignore for my BU brains tides control standard deck.

Now I just need to figure out if I'm going to run two or four of these puppies
>>
File: we slenderman now.png (176 KB, 265x370) Image search: [Google]
we slenderman now.png
176 KB, 265x370
I cast Certain Death on my own creature while I'm at 2 life.
Do I lose the game?
>>
What are some shortcomings of magic judges (including yourself) and how do you work and prepare to become better at what you do?
>>
>>48179440
Nope. You'll gain and lose 2 life simultaneously, so you're never actually at 0. Even if they were separate instructions, SBAs don't check things while objects on the stack are resolving. It's why Wheel spells don't kill Psychosis Crawler.

>>48179584
The most common shortcoming is that a lot of judges are too eager to go the extra mile. That's great, but it also leads to two very common problems: Judges working for free (or damned near) because they want to help and are exploited by shitty TOs, and Judges working themselves half to death, either by running some sizeable event 3 out of every 4 weekends, or just running 10 hours straight and not taking breaks.

As for working and preparing, it's actually not that hard- there's a running joke that the Judge program is a cult of self-improvement that runs tournaments on the side. There's seminars and conferences, there's articles and discussions. Pretty much any aspect of Judging that you want to improve, there's either a wealth of literature about it, people chomping at the bit to share their own knowledge about it, or both. It's just a matter of seeking it out.
>>
Can you cast Escalate costs on a card you didn't pay to cast? for example flashed back with Goblin Dark Dwellers.
>>
>>48180152
Yes! Escalate is an additional cost (technically it's a static ability of a modal spell, but it leads to an extra cost) and thus you are able to pay it if you'd like to use it.
>>
>>48180173
As opposed to Entwine which was a part of the casting cost right?
>>
>>48180200
No, Entwine is also an additional cost.

When you're casting a spell for free, you can pay any additional costs you like (and MUST pay mandatory ones). It just prevents you from using OTHER alternate costs; if you used Goblin Dark Dwellers to hit a Counterflux in your graveyard, you can't Overload it because Overload is an alternate cost and you're already paying the alternate cost of 'free'.
>>
Courtesy bump
>>
>>48176064
Question from a friend:
What's the dumbest cheater you've seen?
>>
>>48180453
>>48180470
Dumbest cheater I've seen in general is a guy in our playgroup. He had two decks for a long time, a Razia "Chaos" deck and a Relentless Rats Marrow Gnawer deck. Almost without fail, his opening play with Razia was a turn 1 Land Tax, and his opening play with the Rats was a turn 2 Demonic Tutor to find Thrumming Stone. We knew he was cheating because any time we'd remind him to present his deck for a cut he didn't have those plays, but nobody ever called him out on it because he was kind of pathetic, and he never won anyway.

Dumbest cheater I've seen while JUDGING was... well, either of them. One of them flat out quoted the criteria for USC - Cheating to me when I asked him a question, and the other one attempted an insanely easy to spot cheat that three people saw through.
>>
>>48180506
Thanks.
Not related to spoilers but another buddy was asking, when a card says "target creature gets +3, +3" does that count as 3 +1, +1 counters? I Don't play Magic a whole lot so he was wondering
>>
>>48180506
>and the other one attempted an insanely easy to spot cheat that three people saw through.
story time?
>>
>>48180488
>>
>>48180575
Cards do what they say. +3/+3 is not three +1/+1 counters. If it was supposed to give +1/+1 counters, it would say that.

>>48180576
Modern event, guy's playing Twin. He gets hit with a Koka-Kola Command and discards Dispel. Cracks a fetch, flips through his library, stops, puts it down and rifles through his graveyard for a second, then picks his library back up, picks his land, shuffles, presents. Then he taps out to cast a Pestermite, it resolves, taps down one of his opponent's like... 5 lands. He untaps, drops a land, casts Twin, opponent responds with cryptic. He casts Dispel.

Opponent is curious, since those decks rarely run more than one, and remembers the graveyard thing. Asks to see it. Whoops, there's no Dispel there! The table next to him was getting deck checked at the time, so both players were just casually observing the match. Both of them, and the opponent, confirmed 100% that he had discarded a Dispel. A quick card-count told me that he had one more card in his hand than he should (given that he discarded just last turn), he claimed he didn't discard Dispel, blah blah blah, Dairy Queen.
>>
File: r21rReF.jpg (38 KB, 265x370) Image search: [Google]
r21rReF.jpg
38 KB, 265x370
Mausoleum Wanderer
U
Creature - Spirit
Flying

Whenever another Spirit enters the battlefield under your control, Mausoleum Wanderer gets +1/+1 until the end of turn.

Sacrifice Mausoleum Wanderer: Counter target instant or sorcery spell unless its controller pays X, where X is Mausoleum Wanderer's power.

So people are saying that in response to your opponents instant/sorc, you can flash in rattlechains, get this guy +1+1 and then use his effect to counter unless they pay 2? Is this correct?

Since sacrificing is a cost wouldnt it not be there to get the +1+1? Or am I thinking of yugioh rules.

God damn the stack is complicated.
>>
File: ghost dude, possibly dead.png (162 KB, 265x370) Image search: [Google]
ghost dude, possibly dead.png
162 KB, 265x370
>>48182013
Full spoiler is out, just post the english card.
>http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/card-image-gallery/eldritch-moon

>>48180625
>200.1. The parts of a card are name, mana cost, illustration, color indicator, type line, expansion symbol, text box, power and toughness, loyalty, hand modifier, life modifier, illustration credit, legal text, and collector number. Some cards may have more than one of any or all of these parts.

>212.1c Some card sets feature collector numbers. This information is printed in the form [card number]/[total cards in the set], immediately following the legal text.

>Collector Number
>A number printed on most cards that has no effect on game play. See rule 212, �Information Below the Text Box.�

I'm bad about the Collector Numbers starting at 13 in Eldritch Moon. I don't see anything wrong about it, but it feels wrong.
How do you feel about it?
>>
File: Land Fish.png (158 KB, 265x370) Image search: [Google]
Land Fish.png
158 KB, 265x370
>>48182196
Cute coincidence but its because colourless non artifact come before white.
>>
>>48182013
>God damn the stack is complicated.
The stack literally behave like a stack structure. That's where it gets it's name.
And stacks are one of the two simplest structures that exist. Period.
That's about as far removed from complicated as you can get.

>Top
Some inst/sorc
>Bottom

Player adds Rattlechains.

>Top
Rattlechains
Some inst/sorc
>Bottom

Rattlechains resolves.
Add Mausoleum Wanderer's trigger.

>Top
+1/+1 until eot
Some inst/sorc
>Bottom

Mausoleum Wanderer's trigger resolves.
(Mausoleum Wanderer is now 2/2)

>Top
Some inst/sorc
>Bottom

Activate Mausoleum Wanderer's ability. (X is 2)

>Top
Soft counter ability
Some inst/sorc
>Bottom

Mausoleum Wanderer's ability resolves.
From here this can go two ways:
>>
>>48182013
>>48182375 (cont.) If they pay X (read:2) mana...

>Top
Some inst/sorc
>Bottom

Some inst/sorc resolves.
The stack is now empty.

>Top
>Bottom
>>
Does casting a spell for the Emerge cost change the converted mana cost, follow up question if someone casts Blasphemous Act for 2. Can I still counter it with Disdainful Stroke?
>>
>>48182013
>>48182375 (cont.) If they don't pay X (read:2) mana...

Some inst/sorc gets countered.
The stack is now empty.

>Top
>Bottom
>>
>>48182196
They don't start at 13. The colorless non-artifact cards (read: eldrazi) make up 1-12.
>>
>>48182407
The converted mana cost of a spell never changes unless it has X in its cost and it's on the stack.

You can counter any blasphemous act with disdainful stroke.
>>
File: pained smile.gif (941 KB, 500x263) Image search: [Google]
pained smile.gif
941 KB, 500x263
>>48182407
>Does casting a spell for the Emerge cost change the converted mana cost
No. Nothing will ever change a cards CMC.

>if someone casts Blasphemous Act for 2. Can I still counter it with Disdainful Stroke?
Yes. It has CMC of 9, which is 4 or greater.

>>48182678
I got beat to the punch one minute before my temporary block expired.
>pic related

>>48182291
>>48182652
Why isn't the spoiler laid out i order?
>>
>>48182739
>Why isn't the spoiler laid out in order?
Because fuck you that's why
>>
>>48182375

So the stack can start to resolve and then be interrupted and start stacking again? I was under the impression once it starts resolving it finishes the stack first.

So I should look at it as cards resolving not stacks?
>>
>>48183013
because the stack does not resolve, objects on the stack resolves.

>So I should look at it as cards resolving not stacks?
that's how it is.
>>
>>48183083

Thanks man, I know these simple questions probably burn you out but it helps new players like me.
>>
>>48183111
it's nothing at all.
And i think there are several people who answered questions when gA isn't here.
>>
>karmic guide is on my side of the field, and the only creature I control
>I cast altar's reap
What happens? I think it just fizzles, but I'm not sure.
>>
>>48183172
Altar's reap doesn't target a creature, so you can sacrifice Karmic guide to cast it.
If you couldn't sacrifice anything you wouldn't be able to cast Altar's reap in the first place since the sac is an additional cost.
>>
>>48183172
You sacrifice Karmic Guide. Pro black does not means you can't use it as a cost.
>>
>>48183013

bunch of spells/abilities on the stack, and the players do nothing:

the spell/ability on top resolves, then the active player (his turn) receives priority, and may perform actions. When he's done, the other player gets priority, so on and so forth until neither player does anything. Then the top spell/ability on the stack resolves.
>>
>>48183172

Protection stops DEBT

Damage
Enchant/Equip
Blocking
Targetting

Pro-black still gets hit by altars reap/diabolic edit, pro-white still gets hit by wrath of god
>>
Can you do the same permanent exile trick with the new creature Spell Queller like you could with Oblivion Ring?

Sorry if this has been asked before
>>
>>48183328
It stops Enchant/Equip because it stops targeting.
>>
>>48183334

No, they tweaked the wording on oblivion ring-style cards since... theros' vanishing light?

O-ring itself has two abilities, one that triggers on ETB and one on LTB, so yea you can do shenanigans in between the triggers to have them happen in backwards order and permanently exile things.

More recent cards are reworded so its a single ability that you cant get in the middle of. Sucks to take out the advanced interaction when you had some bounce/enchantment sac available, but it was a really difficult interaction to grasp for new players that was very feel-bad the first time it gets pulled on you.
>>
>>48183401

But that messes with the acronym, and the word target doesnt appear outside of infrequent reminder text for enchant/equip, so its more helpful to players who are looking for the info to get a slightly redundant list.
>>
File: zoop.jpg (43 KB, 265x370) Image search: [Google]
zoop.jpg
43 KB, 265x370
>>48183410
but Spell Queller is worded liked O-Ring was
>>
>>48183401
Not really.
If something already enchanted with Pacifism is given Pro White, then the Pacifism will fall off.

>>48183425
It's there because it's a different thing altogether.
>>
>>48183205
>>48183212
Cool, thanks anons. I was mostly wondering if there were any sorts of shenanigans I could get up to with it, but I guess not outside of the usual revilark nonsense.

>>48183328
Fair enough, I am familar with that acronym, which is why I knew wraths would hit it.
>>
>>48183441

Well shit, I guess I should have read the card. Yes then, o-ring shenanigans will work, which is nice with all the new sacrifice stuff.
>>
>>48183441
I also have the same question, how does blinking a Spell Queller work? will the spell be exiled permanently?
>>
>>48183526

Yep.

Bad spell on stack.
Cast queller.
Queller ETB, trigger on stack.
Reponse to trigger, bounce/blink/sac/destroy/whatever to get rid of queller
LTB trigger on stack.

LTB resolves, doing nothing, then ETB resolves, exiling bad spell, high fives all around
Im not sure if blizzard used this old wording intentionally with all the new sacrifice, or if it would just be too weird to do "exile permament until ~ leaves the battlefield" when youre not exiling permanents but spells
>>
>>48183526
Blinking : no unless there's 2 or more spells on the stack
Bouncing : yes

Ask gA when he's online later for a better explanation.
>>
>>48183526
>>48183582

Follow up as im thinking about this, true "flicker" effects that immediately return the creature would just make its ETB target the same spell again (assuming that Bad Spell is the only thing on the stack), so you would need a delayed blink that doesnt return the creature until end of turn or whenever, or bounce/sac
>>
>>48176064
OK so my opponent and I both have three life left, I attack with everything, he blocks and loses three creatures with a zulaport cutthroat under his control, but still loses 3 life.
What happens?
>>
>>48183606
Can't the second ETB just not target anything?
>>
>>48183582
Here's the thing - you HAVE to target something with spell queller if there's a legal target. the new ETB trigger you get from it coming back from blink will still have to target the spell you wanted to exile forever, and that has to resolve before the first ETB trigger (the one that would exile it forever since its LTB trigger has already gone off).

tl;dr blinking spell queller will NOT exile a spell forever. Killing it, bouncing it, or exiling it until later (not instantly returning to play) will work.
>>
>>48183625
Damage doesn't use the stack, so damage happens and he dies because cutthroat triggers never get to resolve.
>>
File: wombo-combo.jpg (50 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
wombo-combo.jpg
50 KB, 312x445
>>48183614
Exactly correct.
We had this entire conversation with gA last thread
Incidentally, pic related.

>>48183648
No it cannot. The trigger does not say "may".
If there is a legal target you /must/ target it.
>>
>>48183648
Nope, because it's a mandatory trigger unless there's no legal target.
>>
>>48183648
It's not a may effect. If there's a spell on the stack, you have to hit it.

Keep in mind there will be two ETB triggers at the end of it - one will return the spell when it dies, the other one exiles the spell forever. If there's a second spell on the stack you can oring that, and perma-exile the one you want (in fact you'll be required to do that)
>>
File: Volrath's Curse.png (129 KB, 223x311) Image search: [Google]
Volrath's Curse.png
129 KB, 223x311
>>48176064
On Volrath's Curse, with that effect where the enchanted creature's controller can sacrifice something to negate the ability... They can choose to do that at instant speed, can't they? Say, sacrificing the enchanted creature in response to the aura's controller trying to pull it back to use on something scarier?
>>
>>48183743
yes you can
>>
>>48183808
...And to be clear, responding to a "Return [this] to your hand" effect by dumping [this] in a graveyard in response makes that effect not do anything, right? I'm suddenly unsure because the effect doesn't require targets or specify "from the battlefield" or something.
>>
>>48183978
Shouldn't be. If an ability doesn't specify from where, it's usually only from the battlefield.
Still, ask again when gA is online just to be sure.
>>
>>48183743
>10/4/2004 If the creature this card is on is sacrificed to this card, this card is put into the graveyard before the ability to unsummon it can be used.
>>
Good god I am so sorry, I ended up having to run errands and just got home. Working through questions now.
>>
>>48182013
Yes, that's how it works, and it's not really very complicated. Flash in Rattlechains, Wanderer triggers. Allow trigger to resolve, then sacrifice Wanderer. The stack isn't "Lock everything in and then it all resolves", you get to respond between things resolving.

>>48182407
CMC never changes. CMC is the sum of the symbols in the top right, no matter what you paid. Blasphemous Act has a CMC of 9 whether you paid 1R, RR, WUBRG, or two fishsticks to cast it.

>>48183013
The stack does not resolve, because it is a game zone. OBJECTS on the stack resolve, one at a time, and after any object on the stack resolves all players have priority to do stuff again before the next one does.

>>48183172
Pro-black means Karmic Guide cannot be Damaged, Enchanted/Equipped/Fortified, Blocked, or Targeted by any black spells, black permanents, or abilities from black sources. Altar's Reap does none of these, and so Protection does nothing.

>>48183401
No, it stops targeting AND enchanting. If I give pro-green to your guy with a Rancor on it, the Rancor can no longer legally enchant it so it falls off. It's why the white enchantments that give protection have to say 'this effect does not remove CARDNAME'.

>>48183334
You can, because of the way it's worded (an ETB and LTB trigger, rather than an ETB with a duration), but you'll want to be using either a delayed blink like Long Road Home, or a sacrifice/bounce. If you just use a normal there-and-back-in-the-same-spell blink like Essence Flux, you'll have to target a spell again when Queller enters, so unless there's ANOTHER legal target for that trigger, you'll just use ETB 2 on the spell you want to perma-exile, then LTB1 and ETB1 do nothing.

>>48183482
RTFC happens to everyone.
>>
>>48183648
>>48183673
>>48183698
Nope. You never get to decide a targeted trigger just doesn't target something. Even if it's a "may" trigger, it still goes on the stack and you select a target, you just choose not to perform the action as it resolves. And there's no 'may' here, so you HAVE to counter the target if it's still legal.

>>48183625
He dies before his triggers even go on the stack, let alone resolve.

>>48183743
There's no such thing as speed in Magic, but yes. Special actions (of which this is one of thems) can be taken any time a player has priority unless that specific special action's rules say otherwise.

>>48183978
Right. When a card refers to itself by name, it means "THIS EXACT OBJECT". The Volrath's Curse in your graveyard is represented by the same physical card as the one that was on the field, but the game looks at them as two wholly different things. That ability is gonna be looking for the Curse that existed on the battlefield, and not find it because it no longer exists.
>>
>18:26:13
>18:32:33
>18:35:08
>>
>>48184371
Is there already a definite ruling about whether Tamiyo's +1 can draw you two cards if both creatures deals combat damage or just one?
>>
>>48184999
Triggered abilities say "When" if they could only happen once, and "Whenever" if they could happen more then once..
"When" and "Whenever" are functionally identical, but that's done as a style choice.

If it could only get you one card it would specify that requirement in the trigger and say "When", or say "Whenever" and specify that requirement in the ability.

Incidentally, if you used an effect to get an additional combat phase you could draw 4 cards that turn of off Tamiyo's +1.
>>
Can a creature block its own attack due to some red effect changing its controller?
>>
>>48185253
When it changes controller it is removed from combat. (no longer attacking or blocking)
>>
>>48185356
You can still block with it right?
>>
>>48185434
If it changes control before blockers have been picked, it can still become a blocker.

I thought the question was can it block itself. No but it can block anyone that attacked at the same time as it did.
>>
>>48185434
If it changed controllers during the declare attackers step, then yes you could in theory block with it.

...I think.
>>
>>48185510
>>48185521
Assuming the effect that changed controllers also untapped it.
>>
>>48184999
We don't have a "ruling", but based on the wording I can't imagine it NOT triggering per-creature. If it were meant to only work once, it would be worded as "Whenever one or more of those creatures..." if it was only supposed to work once per turn, no matter the number of creatures.

>>48185253
Creatures changing control removes them from combat.

>>48185521
You could, but the 'attack' it was making stops existing. So yes, you can block with a creature you just stole, but no a creature cannot block itself.
>>
>>48176064
what's the policy for altered cards, the WoTC site is shit and the rulebook explains it badly, how can I prove the authenticity of a card beyond doubt? I have videos of me altering them for what's worth, and I always leave the name almost intact, isn't this enough?
>>
>>48188253
The metrics are:

1) Cannot obscure name or mana cost
2) Art must be recognizable
3) Can't be offensive (judgement call, really- if you put naked chicks or fucked up gore or racist nonsense, that's a no)
4) Can't give excess strategic info (a Sensei's Top with the fire and ice from Counterbalance is fine, but a card with notes would not be)
5) Must be indistinguishable from other cards without looking at the face

6) The HJ's discretion. This is the big one. Even if it meets the other 5 metrics, the HJ can still just flat disallow it. His or her word is final. If the HJ has any reason to suspect that you painted a "Tarmogoyf" on top of a Runeclaw Bear, they're going to disallow it. The smartest thing is to just make sure you have non-altered backups, run the alters by the HJ before the event, and be prepared to swap them out if they get disallowed when you do so.
>>
>>48176064
How do you think the escalate mechanic will work with Mizzix?
>>
>>48188319
Pretty straightforward. Escalate is basically just Mega Entwine- if you select multiple modes, you have to pay additional costs. You add up the Escalate cost before you apply Mizzix's cost reduction, so that goes well, but even if you're paying 3RR for Collective Defiance, it has a CMC of 3, so it won't tick for a Mizzix that's already got you at 3 or more experience counters.
>>
>>48176064
What do you think of sjws infesting the magic community?
>>
>>48188334
Gotcha. That's how I thought it would go but I wanted some confirmation. Thanks!
>>
If I flicker an Enchantment that is a creature due to Starfield of Nyx's ability, will it come back with a +1/+1 counter on it if Starfield's of Nyx's ability clause can be met? Would there be a difference if there was enough enchantments on the field already to turn other enchantments into creatures or if the returning enchantment was the last one needed to meet the requirements of Starfield of Nyx's ability?
>>
>>48188681

Sorry I should have clarified that the card used to flicker is Long Road Home.
>>
>>48188681
>return that card to the battlefield under it's owner's control with a +1/+1 counter on it

>card
>not creature

It comes back with the counter no matter what.
>>
>>48188681

+1+1 counters dont need to be on creatures, they can theoretically go on any permanent. So even if you dip under the 5 enchantments for starfield, it will get the counter. Of course, +1+1 counter on noncreature is just a meaningless placeholder until it turns back into a creature
>>
File: 162.jpg (63 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
162.jpg
63 KB, 312x445
if a source with trample would kill with lethal combat damage my goldnight castigator would the trample damage be doubled again?
ex:
>reality smasher swings for 5
>block with castigator 9thoug
>damage gets doubled ->10
>trample damage would be 1 (10-9)
but would castigator double that 1 damage again making it 2?
>>
>>48190232
The Smasher will not trample through the Castigator.
It will assign 5, gets doubled into 10 and kill the Castigator.
>>
>>48190322
>>48190232
More to the point, the game doesn't look forward to see that the 5 damage doubled will be enough to kill castigator, so there's no damage to trample over.
>>
So I just checked the release notes, and I'm a bit confused about this: >Once you begin to cast a spell with emerge, no player may take actions until you’re done. Notably, opponents can’t try to remove the creature you wish to sacrifice.

Does that mean that a creature cast with emerge can't be countered?
>>
>>48188681
If the flicker effect is putting a counter on it, it comes back with a counter whether or not it's a creature.

If you have something like a Master Biomancer SEPARATE from the flicker giving the counters, it gets the counters so long as it's entering as a creature.

>>48190232
The game can't look forward to see the damage getting doubled. You assign 5 damage to the Castigator, and run out of damage. The game doesn't know that the damage will be doubled to 10, so you stop.

Had you attacked with a 10/10, yes. You assign 9 to the Castigator, and still have one damage left over. You assign that damage to the opponent. When damage actually goes down, the Castigator takes 18 and your opponent takes 2.

>>48191180
No. "Until you're done" means "until you finish casting the spell and it's on the stack". All that means is that your opponent can't go "in response to you starting to cast Emerge, I kill that creature, so now you can't cast your spell".
>>
If I make Demonic Pact a creature somehow and cast Aether Flux, or if I just blink it even without making it a creature, does that reset the counter so I don't lose?
>>
File: 1466552266728.jpg (80 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
1466552266728.jpg
80 KB, 1024x683
How do I time Deluge or a similar effect (in the combat phase) so it taps down my opponents creatures, preventing them from attacking me?
Before attackers are declared, or can I do it in response to my opponent picking me as an attack target?
>>
>>48191501
You can do it in the beginning of combat step to lock them down. When the game gets to the declare attackers step, the turn player declares his or her attackers as a turn-based action, which happens before anyone gets priority in that step. At that point it'll be too late to tap down anything.
>>
>>48191501
Ordinarily, you tap down creatures before they have been declared as attackers.

If they do not say "enter combat" or something else to indicate and just go straight to telling you what is attacking, stop them and back up to use it first.
>>
>>48191433
Depends on what you're wanting to do. If you're wanting to blink it at some point before the upkeep where you have to pick "lose the game", yes. As soon as it changes zones it becomes a new object, with no memory of (or relation to) what it was before. It'll 'reset'.

If you're wanting to blink it ON that fourth turn, no, you gon' die.

>>48191501
Your last chance is the Beginning of Combat Step, before they declare attackers. You can't wait to see what they're attacking with. Also, attacking does not target.

Worth noting, if they just swing at you without giving you a chance to respond, you can say "Hang on, I have a response" and Deluge their guys. But you can't LET them say "Combat?", see what they're attacking with, then ask them to back up.
>>
>>48191984
Thanks! While Deluge would be a no go once attackers are declared; would something like Evacuation would still stop me from getting hit?
>>
>>48192020
Absolutely. The reason Deluge doesn't work is because tapping an attacker does jack shit to combat- your last shot is to tap them (and thus make them not ABLE to attack) prior to the chance they get to attack.

Evacuation works because the creatures can't hit you if they don't exist during the damage step, so you can use that (or Aetherize, or Cyclonic Rift, etc) to mass-bounce their team once you know they're attacking you for a bunch.
>>
File: 1341158608737.jpg (15 KB, 500x286) Image search: [Google]
1341158608737.jpg
15 KB, 500x286
>>48192037
Thanks! Have a happy Doctor for your trouble.
>>
File: risenexecutioner1.jpg (48 KB, 265x370) Image search: [Google]
risenexecutioner1.jpg
48 KB, 265x370
how does risen executioner interact with Gisa and Geralf? do i hate to pay the extra cost?
>>
>>48193339
You've got two things giving you permission to cast Risen Executioner from your graveyard, so you just say which you're using. If you use The D I Double G twins, you'll skip the extra cost, but use up your one-zombie-per-turn cast. If you use the Executioner himself, you're free to cast another Zombie from G Squared, but you will have to pay the extra.
>>
>>48193528
>>48193552
thanks
>>
File: witnessed.png (43 KB, 1865x360) Image search: [Google]
witnessed.png
43 KB, 1865x360
>>48193613
>>
can crumbling vestige add colorless with its ETB trigger?
>>
No.
>>
>>48182013
You can do as many instant speed abilities, casts, actions, ect as you want before a sorcery speed effect resolves. This includes them each resolving before the sorcery finishes.
>>
>>48194860
Is colorless a color?

>>48195313
There's no such thing as 'speed' in Magic.
>>
What does "evergreen ability" mean?
>>
>>48196415
It's a term they use in R&D to denote abilities that they can be put into any set. Flying, Trample, First Strike, simple things like that.
>>
Pastebins for those who are interested in playing?
>>
>>48196482
Do you think Banding, in any way, shape or form, could ever make a comeback?
>>
>>48196521
I really don't. It shares a spot with Storm at the 10-slot of the Storm Scale (the only thing higher than Storm is Bands With Others).
>>
What happens when Geistblast copies a fireball spell with X=4?
>>
>>48196666
The value of X is a copiable characteristic.
>>
@ >>48196415, regarding >>48196582

Storm-Scale is another R&D term.
It's scale from 1 to 10 of how likely a mechanic is to come back.
Everything Evergreen is 1 on the scale.
10 means "not very likely to ever come back".

>Bands With Others
Normally Banding was really nice, but good riddance.
>>
>>48196582
I figured as much. Always had a soft spot for Banding; it was the basis of the first deck I made and is still my favorite ability.
Whats the 10-Slot of the Storm Scale?
>>
>>48196750
Storm and Banding.
>>
>>48196773
>>48196750
Oh, if you meant what IS it, rather than what it's comprised of:

R&D had this thing they call The Storm Scale. Every new mechanic they come up with fits somewhere on the scale, from 0 to 10. 0 is Evergreen- abilities that go in every set. 1 is "inevitable"- things they'l absolutely use again, when it fits a set. 2 is almost certain, 3 is strong chance, etc. The higher the number, the less likely it is they'll reuse the mechanic.
>>
>>48196822
Yeah, I meant what it is. Thanks for the explanation.
>>
File: ackshually.png (38 KB, 700x852) Image search: [Google]
ackshually.png
38 KB, 700x852
>>48196822
>>
>>48197195
Whoops. Working off of old memory, my bad.
>>
File: dark salvation.jpg (37 KB, 265x370) Image search: [Google]
dark salvation.jpg
37 KB, 265x370
New-ish player here, I'd like some clarification on this card. "That player" refers to the player controlling the creature you target, not the target player from earlier in the sentence, right?
>>
>>48197293
Nope. "That player" refers to the player you targeted. If you give yourself Zombies, then it counts how many Zombies you have and nukes target creature for that many. It's not "Make X 2/2 zombies, then target creature gets -1/-1 for each Zombie its controller controls".
>>
>>48197334
Sweet, that's even better than I thought. Thank you.
>>
are theros gods creatures when in library/hand/graveyard/stack?
>>
>>48198165
Yes. The only place they sometimes AREN'T creatures is on the battlefield, where that 'sometimes I don't have legs' ability works. Every other zone, they're always creature cards/spells.
>>
>>48196822
Piggybacking on this, would you care to share where on the Storm Scale the various abilities are?
And do you think it'd be possible to balance storm?
>>
>>48198477
It's a long-ish list, and easily google-able, so I'll decline.

There's really no way to 'fix' Storm without fucking up the decks that run it. The cards that exist are fine, and they can occasionally fudge it with things like Flusterstorm (the Storm Scale is mostly for Standard sets), but I just don't see them 'fixing' Storm. Even if they figure out how to 'fix' it and just make it a new mechanic... why?
>>
>>48198477
Put any mechanic into the search on Maro's blog along with storm scale, and the answer will come up.
Probably more than once.
>>
>>48198513
>the Storm Scale is mostly for Standard sets
Storm Scale is /only/ for Standard-legal products. Anything goes for supplemental products.
>>
>>48198513
Haha holy shit, Bands with others is at 11.
>>
>>48198888
Right so, in 2010 Bands With Other got errata'd to not be a colossal mess.
Currently it works like normal Banding while attacking, but the single allowable non-Banding member of the Band has to be of the specified type.
While defending, it works like normal Banding, but only if it's blocking alongside at least one member of the specified type.
You also can't mix-and-match Banding and Bands With Other (except when using the other as your non-Banding member).

Pre-2010, here's how Bands With Others worked:
While attacking you couldn't include a non-Banding member,.
While defending you couldn't include any non-Banding members.
All members of the Band had to have Bands With Other, all of which specify the same type.
All members of the Band also have that type. If they lost the type but kept the ability, they couldn't use Band With Other.
>>
>>48177152
I smiled
>>
File: 1359152508750.jpg (46 KB, 321x351) Image search: [Google]
1359152508750.jpg
46 KB, 321x351
>>48199210
Do I have the option of killing myself instead of trying to understand that?
>>
File: Untitled.png (660 KB, 757x444) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
660 KB, 757x444
Say I've got a tapped Mox Opal in play.
If I play another one, can I tap it before I lose them?
If the first Mox was untapped I only had two artifacts, could I tap the first after playing the second?
>>
>>48200920
You don't lose both of them anymore, not since M14. You pick one to keep, and put all the rest (in this case, the other one) in the graveyard. You can tap Opal A, play Opal B, and put A in the graveyard but keep B.

As for the second half of the question, no. Nobody gets priority to do anything until after SBAs are checked, and those are what make you have to put one of your Opals in the graveyard.

Also, I think I'm calling it an early night. I'm bizarrely tired.
>>
>>48194149
Why was it deleted?
>>
>>48201017
Probably >>48180597
>>
If I turn Kurkesh, Onakke Ancient into an artifact with something like Liquimetal Coating, can I have him copy his own ability, so that after he copies an artifact's ability, he can copy it any number of times as long as I have the mana for it?
>>
>>48201326
No, Kuekesh has a triggered ability (caused in response to a "trigger"), and his ability is triggered only by activated abilities (caused by paying a cost).
>>
>>48201443
I see, thanks.
>>
>>48201017
It was redundant since i posted it at the same time as the judge.
>>
File: green mage red mage.png (677 KB, 800x2832) Image search: [Google]
green mage red mage.png
677 KB, 800x2832
>>48200951
gA, which color is your favorite thematically?
What about mechanically?
>>
>>48196582
why is Banding so highly rated? imo it should be like a 7 it's really not that complicated and could maybe make it in a supplemental product
>>
>>48198174
>sometimes I don't have legs
wat
why do you sometimes not have legs?
>>
>>48202767
Because it's extremely counter intuitive.
When it was relevant, Pro players constantly asked judges for reminders on how it worked during high end tournaments.

>>48198174
Is pick related ever us?
>>
Any tips for a first time prerelease attender? How much different are the strategies in it than draft?
>>
>>48203660
You probably already know the whole bread thing.
It depends on the set but in general the difference to draft is that games usually last longer, decks are less streamlined and more dependant on card power than synergy.
>>
>>48203660
>How much different are the strategies in it than draft?
Do you mean... tips for Sealed?

Land ratios and archetypes behave similarly, but that's about it.

Drafting is (mostly) about prioritizing Bombs > Removal > Evasion > Aggro > Crap
That's because no amount of carefulness will leave you put a gameplan in you card pool, so all you can do is try to be efficient.
(Well, archetypes sort-of give you a gameplan, but that's more about raising the odds of ending up with synergies in your cardpool.)

Sealed is almost entirely about having a gameplan.
Rather than trying to get as many similar cards in hopes of getting synergy, you scour through your cardpool to find as much synergy as possible.
In Draft your cardpool is 42 cards deep. At ~23 non-lands (not no-basics) in you deck, that leaves you with ~17 cards in your sideboard.
In Sealed you cardpool is 90 cards deep. Ninety cards deep. NINETY CARDS DEEP! That's something like a 65 card sideboard. It's crazy.
To give you a sense of how preposterously large that is, even the most mediocre cardpool can effectively sideboard out it's /entire deck/ between rounds.
Changing decks is rarely a good idea, but it's often worth considering. And you should plan a second deck during the initial deck build, write it down so you don't mess it up later.

And that actually brings up the other major difference from Draft: Sideboarding.
You can and should do a lot between rounds. Generally 5-10 card switches are worthwhile, though the frequency leans heavily toward 5-7.
When you're planning you deck, pay /very/ close attention to all you sideboarding options.
During games keep an eye out for things sideboard options will handle better than your mainboard.
Write notes for sideboarding mid-game if you need to.
>>
>>48198174
How often does this happen?
>>
care to explain the how of this game? i'm not well-versed at all but it seems to be quite difficult to commit a rules error...

can you give an example of a Game Rule Violation with this game? what is a GRV? i thought it would be like "player cheated by putting card from graveyard on top of library" type of rules-breaking...
>>
>>48205699
fuck

this game, this image
>>
>>48204077
The head judge could say that "mountain" isn't a card in magic, and that islands produce red mana while you have a notarized statement made by the head rules manager at wizards of the coast claiming otherwise, and the head judge would would STILL be correct. So no, this doesn't happen.
>>
I asked this question earlier and you said you looked into it. Bestow creatures and sigardas blessings interactions? What was your findings
>>
>>48205699

A game rule violation isn't something to really worry about. I get them in matches myself from things that get overlooked by both my opponent and I. An example that happened was the fact that my opponent who was a friend forgot to remove a particular blocker on his side that should have died after a really complicated combat math scenario and I forgot to point it out to him that his creature should be dead. Two turns later we later(with nothing actually happening) realised what's going on and called a judge and we were both given a games rule violation. Clearly we could have just put the creature in the grave and just went on with the game but this was Competitive Rules Enforcement Level.
>>
>>48204077
I've never seen it happen. The head judge would be the highest authority he could appeal to, though.
>>
>>48205919

>>48205715
>>
>>48205946

Well I gave you an example of a game rule violation. It's really just basically any time someone commits a game play error, if it's not caught in time that's a failure to maintain game state.
>>
Say you judge at a FNM where Magic Oranges is drafted and you don't know the players there. You overhear someone confidently explaining to his opponent, who is obviously a new player, how his equipment (let's say veterans sidearm) works, but claiming he can equip at instant speed (or however you want to call it, you know what I mean).
Do you assume he's exploiting the new player and cheating, or that he doesn't know any better himself? I ask because this happened last year to a friend of mine who was new to the game at a store that usually doesn't have a judge around at FNM.
Also thanks as always for doing this gA, you're cool.
>>
>>48176064
I admit I never understood how powerful the Split Second mechanic is.

If my opponent had a non-mana activated ability, and I want to cast a card with split second before he can use his ability is it just a race to say it first? He can't use the ability "in response " due to SS...but likewise I can't use it in response to him either.

So the only way to ensure they wont use an activated ability on their turn is is to cast say Sudden Spoiling at the beginning of their turn?
>>
>>48176064
Stupid question: I play languish, then play a creature. That creature is not affected by languish because they weren't on the battlefield, correct?
>>
>>48206548
The opponent has priority at the beginning of his upkeep. If he decides to not do anything and pass priority to you, THEN you cast your split second spell and he can't respond to it.
>>
File: 7 7 for 2 with upsides.jpg (74 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
7 7 for 2 with upsides.jpg
74 KB, 312x445
>>48205715
Be sure to run pic related.
>>
>>48201326
No, because Kurkesh does not have an activated ability. He has a triggered ability. Activated abilities will always be worded as COST : EFFECT. Look for a colon.

>>48202616
Thematically, probably white. Order, law, community, all that jazz- very Judge-y when you don't take it too far and make it oppressive and archaic. Mechanically I tend to lean green.

>>48202767
Dude, I don't even think Banding is that complicated. It's largely the decade-old stigma of Banding being equivalent to Nuclear Physics.

>>48202790
"____ On Legs" was/is common Magic Slang for what is basically a spell stapled to a creature. Farhaven Elf is Rampant Growth on legs, Man-o'-War is Unsummon on legs, etc. Extrapolating from that, I (and others) use "don't have legs" to denote abilities which render creatures into noncreatures.

>>48202824
Nah- this is one of the JudgeLife things that didn't resonate with me, because in the areas I judge I'm either a non-frequent enough person that they don't "include" me to the point they'd gab at length, or they DO know me well enough to know that I will offer as much insight on their deck as a brick wall would.

And you guys are fine. I like answering rules questions. Were you all bragging about insanely wonky decks constantly, it might irk me a little after a few months, but you don't so it doesn't.

>>48203660
Have fun.

>>48204077
Not often. The snap-appeal is fairly common for a myriad of reasons, and I've seen people TRY to appeal past the HJ, but it usually gets kiboshed pretty quick.

>>48205699
A GRV is any time a player breaks a rule unintentionally, or intentionally but not knowing it wasn't kosher. An example would be mistakenly casting a Wrath of God off of 3 Islands and a Plains. Cheating is never a GRV, Cheating is USC - Cheating.
>>
>>48206120
>Magic Oranges
I get now that you messed up the set name, but I seriously thought that was a card for a moment. Searched for it and everything.
>>
>>48207102
... name related? (>>48202824)
>>
>>48205716
While this is true, it is theoretically roundabout possible for the TO to 'overrule' the HJ by just firing them and hiring a new one. It never happens, but it is possible.

>>48205906
Our discussion led to "you can't". Basically there's currently two times you have to check whether or not it's legal to cast a spell: Immediately before putting it onto the stack, and again a little deeper into the process. Since the card won't be an Aura until after you announce that you're using the alternate cost of Bestow, it STARTS as a creature spell, and you don't currently have permission to cast a creature spell, so it fails the first legality check and you can't cast it.

>>48205919
Honestly it probably should have been GPE - GRV for him, and GPE - FTMGS for you.

>>48206043
Half right. A GRV is any time a rule of the game is broken, but is not Cheating. Failure to Maintain Game State is given to the OPPONENT if they don't catch the GRV, even if you both realize it just a couple steps later in the turn. "Time" isn't really a factor for FTMGS, other than "you don't get FTMGS if you immediately point out your opponent's GRV"

>>48206548
No, it is not a race. Magic is not a game of reflexes, it's a game of priority. During your opponent's turn, he will have priority before you do in every single step and phase, so he's free to activate his ability in that step (if it's legal) before you get a chance to jump in. If he passes priority to you for whatever reason, you can use your Split Second spell, though.

>>48206564
Correct. The set of objects Languish hits is 'locked in' as it resolves.

>>48207114
Good god that is not a flattering picture of me. Yeah, my girlfriend convinced me to make one a few years back and I kinda forgot about it.
>>
>>48206120
I investigate. You never just snap-assume a player is cheating, or that he's NOT cheating- you investigate, look into it, try to figure out what's happening to the best of your abilities. For this at an FNM I'd probably sidle in and just correct him to prevent damage from happening there, and then maybe look up which players he played against in previous rounds, ask if he tried to equip during their turns or not. It is entirely possible that he's new too, just a lot more confident- I've seen that at my home shop, where someone misunderstood (or was mis-taught) a rule and spent the past few months thinking it worked like that because they only ever play with their own little clique of friends who ALSO misunderstand it. Then they get paired against a brand new player at FNM and accidentally continue the cycle.
>>
>>48177152
Wow, I've never seen this card before. This honestly looks pretty terrible.
>>
>>48207197
>you investigate, look into it, try to figure out what's happening to the best of your abilities
But what if you lack the {2} to sac the clue?
>>
>>48207219
Mostly, it is. That set had a small "CMC matters" theme, and Egotist pretty much existed for that. You could play it on turn 3 as a 2/2 because Morph, and then later flip it up for U for your CMC spells.

Rush of Knowledge now draws you 8 cards, Dispersal Shield counters anything with less than 9 CMC, etc.

>>48207237
Trick question, Judges have the mana ability of "{0}: Add {C}{C} to your mana pool. Spend this mana only to Investigate."
>>
>>48207245
Rather, I guess it'd be "Spend this mana only to activate the ability of Clues you control".
>>
>>48207183

>Honestly it probably should have been GPE - GRV for him, and GPE - FTMGS for you.

You're probably right but it was a small GPT(10 players) and everyone kinda knew each other so the atmosphere was fairly relaxed for a comp rel event. He only became a judge halfway late last year and it was his first time judging a Comp Rel event. I think the L2 judge who was actually playing in the GPT event himself but not judging talked to him about the situation afterwards.
>>
>>48207103
Yeah I always call it that on purpose. >>48207197
So what would point towards him cheating in that investigation, and how would you handle that situation if that's where the clues were to point?
>>
>>48207601
Basically, if I feel that he KNEW how Equip works and he was intentionally misleading the opponent to gain an advantage, that's all I need. Once the evidence points strongly enough to that, I'll ask to talk to him, take him aside, investigate with him a bit more, and unless I get new information from him that changes my beliefs of the situation, I DQ him for cheating and get him to fill out a statement. Depending on the situation I might tell him that he's welcome to wait for his friends to finish, or that he needs to leave the shop.
>>
>>48197293
Couldn't you technically target an opponent with this, spend only B, and have a creature get - counters for each zombie that opponent controls?
>>
Bunch of rules questions ,in the form of an entertaining(hopefully) story.
1/ So if I have 'Opalescence' and play 'Dual Nature' would 'Dual Nature' create a token that is a copy of itself.
2.1/ If yes and I then play Parallel Lives ,please confirm I turn it up to 11?[P.S there's 1or2 SQUIRREL behind you, yours sincerely Deranged Hermit.]
2.2/ If yes and I respond to the Dual trigger by bouncing the Dual with say 'Erratic Portal' ,stack empties and I re-play Dual ,Do I now have 4 Duals?
(My Wild Pair 'Ambush Commander' & bouncy 'Wirewood Hivemaster' really wants to know,and are jumping up and down on the Portal in anticipation!.
All the while 'Blasting Station' is tap dancing with s laughter on all them insects in the elf 'Forest's. )
'Clone' arrives seeing origional 'Dual Nature' ,and is just looking seasick at thought of it all and 'RESPONDS' he's wants to be Alone in the now CREATURELESS library ,so hits himself with a 'Proteus Staff'.Gives up and Stops as 'Dual Nature'.
[3/ Stack Empties.How many DN are now in play?
4/ What if he stayed put?,I think he should have :( But BS responded so all's fine .
With the 'Pandemonium' caused! no one heard a 'Saproling Burst','Kyren Negotiations' are ongoing during the 'Vernal Equinox'.]
>>
5/ If 'Academy Rector' shows up to watch and one of his Dual tokens gets Blasted can it tutor? for the 'Greater Good',or does it vanish too fast? (kind of important as almost all white players in my meta use Rector.)
^^^
'Sliver Queen' as COMMANDER in her usual'Planeswalker's Mirth' way ,on the throne of her 'Sterling Grove' in the 'City of Solitude' observing her Illusionary selves 'Fervour'ously,'Blink'ing in and out of existance, gave her 2 'Mana Echo's worth opinion ,in the 'Pandemonium' causing 'Confusion in the Ranks'during the 'Grave Pact''Negotiations',by reminding everyone to have an 'Enchanted Evening' ,'Mirari's Wake' has a lot to answer for.
6/ Would the 'Pandemonium'damage from the token 'Queen' count as commander damage?

BRB building a casual funtime deck.
>>
At the 'Elfhame Sactuary' 'Femeref Enchantress' thinking it all too much,ran to hide in the 'Soul Foundry'.In the 'Enchantress's Presence' and feeling 'Rancor'ous ,'Yavimaya Enchantress' sporting a fetching 'Armadillo Cloak' sat petting her little white 'Auratog' accused Femeref with'Conviction' of having no 'Fortitude',then laughed as 'Argothian Enchantress'crying jealously at all the aura's flying around,gets kicked in the face by 'Verduran Enchantress' dancing around in her new 'Ancestral Mask' with 'Kor Spiritdancer' & 'Mesa Enchantress'.
Horny 'Nomad Mythmaker' feeling sorry for her,spotted his chance and Responded by putting on his 'Robe of Mirrors' and 'Crown of the Ages' gifting a dead 'Eldrazi Conscription' to 'Argothian',causing her smile in the'Celestial Dawn' to shine by the 'Dawns Reflection' like a 'Brilliant Halo'.
Then a 'Fugitive Druid'&'Thaumatog' chased by a 'Rabid Wombat',raced into the 'Gathering' and began stoking the 'Fires of Yavimaya' as a diversion creating 'Mass Hysteria'.
>>
During which an 'Ageless Entity' mounted his 'Zebra Unicorn' to Escape ,'Overrun'ing 'Kamahl' who luckily with a 'Flickering Ward' on green,survived ,a poor 'Elephant Guide's ,'Horned Cheetah' Guarding a 'Pattern of Rebirth' turtle ,wasn't so lucky ,coming back as ,'Phantom Nishoba' who not being filled with 'Noble Purpose',but with 'Anger',he grabbed a 'Loxodon Warhammer' 'Bequeathal'ed to him by the cheatah bashing the 'Entity' and all the other new 'Phantom'spirit type creatures in his range.
Tho Ageless decided it was worth it when 'Faith Healer' called her previous customer ,an 'Exalted Angel' filled with 'Rightousness' chose 'Cessation' as necessary,gave him her version of 'Serra's Embrace',making a nearby 'Thran Golem' evidently very horny ,'judge'ing by the'Mythic Proportions' of his 'Might of Oaks'. The 'Warrior Angel' blew her 'Angels Trumpet' and lifted Ageless up above the 'Krosen Verge' to the 'Treetop Village' for a little extra ,'Breath of Life' ,getting VERY 'Familiar' with him 'Doubtless One' knows what I mean.
>>
'Kitsune Mystic' & 'Bushi Tenderfoot' flipped at the sight ,as did 'Hidden Gibbons ,the well known 'Hidden Predators','Waiting in the Weeds' for the 'Uktabi Orangutan' to leave ,'Fugitive Druid' was unavailable for comment ,but 'Masako the Humorless' not amused by the intrusion ,stole her 'Empyrial Armour' opened a 'Spellbook' ,sat in 'Clensing Meditation',then called up the 'Winds of Rath' a not particularly 'Vitalizing Wind',but with 'Fecundity' fed the 'Overlaid Terrain'.
A 'Moonlit Wake' is scheduled to be held in Honour of the Fallen .'Hymn of Rebirth' practice will be at noon.
During the 'Vernal Equinox' .After the 'Second Sunrise' the 'Eternal Witness' hearing the 'Call Of the Wild' trigger imprinted 'Holistic Wisdom' feeling 'One with Nature' prayed in 'Revered Silence' for 'Karmic Justice' at all the 'Honden''Shrine's in her 'Sactuary's ,that she would see such things 'Nevermore'. These 'Enshrined Memories' 'Provoke'ing a 'Persuit of Knowledge' culminating in 'Wild Research',as 'Nothing' less than a 'Gamble'.
HELP! I can't stop.(your face whan all the above 'CARDS' are in 2 of my decks .Puts his enchantment deck box down and slinks away)
>>
>>48207764
X can absolutely be zero. And you can absolutely target your opponent.

But if you've dedicated deck space to that card it's (probably) because /you/ are running zombies.
Super Secret Sideboard Tech, I guess.
>>
>>48207764
Assuming you target them as the 'target player', yes. You could also just cast it for B and target yourself (and their creature) to give it the -X/-X, where X is the zombies you already have.

>>48207780
1) Dual Nature enters the battlefield as a creature, and triggers. You'll get a token copy of it.

2.1) So, you've already done that, and cast a Parallel Lives. It enters as a creature and triggers your two Dual Natures. As the first trigger resolves, it goes to make a token copy of Lives, but there's a Lives on board, so it replaces that with "make 2", and you end up with 2 tokens (for 3 total). Second trigger goes to resolve, gets doubled, doubled again, doubled again, makes 8 Parallel Lives, you end up with a total of 11.

2.2) If you 'respond to' the trigger by bouncing and flashing Dual back in, you end up with 3, because the first trigger and second trigger each make one. If you allow the trigger to resolve, THEN bounce and replay it, you'll have OG Dual and Copy Dual trigger, each making another token, for a total of 4 Duals.

3 & 4 ) I'm not really understanding what you're asking here. Could you clarify with a little less roundabout?

5) Tokens go to the graveyard and trigger appropriately, they just stop existing right after that.

6) No. Commander damage is only Combat Damage.
>>
>>48207780
>>48207798
>>48207843
>>48207888
>>48207904
Holy fucking christ what am I reading
>>
What are all these fancy kind of lands?

I mean scry ones are pretty obvious, but what's a manland or a bounceland or an enemyland? There is a list I can look at?
>>
>>48208000
>There is a list I can look at?
http://mtgsalvation.gamepedia.com/Scry_lands
Scroll down to the bottom.

>manland
These turn into creatures.

>bounceland
Also Called Karoos (the first bounceland was Karoo), these tap for 2 mana, but bounce one of your lands when they enter the battlefield.

>enemyland
Produces "enemy" pairs of colors. W/B, B/G, G/U, U/R, or R/W
>>
>>48208000
"Manland" is any land which can be animated into a creature. Mutavault, Treetop Village, Raging Ravine, etc.

"Bounceland" or "Karoo" are used to refer to the cycle of lands from the Ravnica block which enter tapped and require you to return a land to its owner's hand when they enter (that's the 'bounce') part. Azorius Chancery, Rakdos Karnarium, etc.

Shocklands are things like Sacred Foundry and Godless Shrine. They have two basic land types (which means they can be fetched out), but enter tapped unless you pay 2 life.

Duals, depending on the context, either means the original "Dual Lands" from Alpha (exactly like the shocks, except they enter untapped without any payment), or just any land that can produce 2 colors.
>>
>>48208076
>>48208083
Thanks, I never had any clue what people were talking about, but now I know. I actually have a fair stack of the more cost-effective varieties.
>>
3/ After 2.2/ >>48207780 4 Duals in play (BIG THANKS FOR THIS by the way),I play 'Clone' ,e.t.b. as 'DUAL NATURE' ,triggers on stack I respond with 'Proteus Staff',tucking CLONE,and returning it to play again as origional DUAL NATURE copy.
How many DN are now in play agter stack empties?
4/4 duals in play I play clone as DN.Are there now 10 DN's?

>5) Tokens go to the graveyard and trigger appropriately, they just stop existing right after that.
THANKS ,but academy says 'if you do',which I read as you can't so no tutoring enchantments for us ,right?
>>
>>48208378
So, you've got 4 Dual Nature triggers on the stack from when Clone entered as Dual nature, and then above that you activate Staff. It wheels through your deck and hits Clone again, putting it out as another Dual Nature. That triggers the 4 you have, which means you have a total of 8 triggers on the stack, each of which will make another token copy of Dual Nature. So you have the 4 originals, the 8 copies made by each of the triggers, and the Clone-Nature, for a total of 13 if my math is right.

Ah, I forgot the wording on Rector. It dies, and triggers, but you can't exile it as the trigger resolves because it doesn't exist anymore. No tutor.
>>
>tfw forgot the legendary rule while playing infinite reflections and wiped my own board
Well that's a lesson I'll never forget.
>>
>>48208083
>"Manland" is any land which can be animated into a creature. Mutavault, Treetop Village, Raging Ravine, etc
Those are "creature lands" you sexist bigot. Reported to JCC, DCI and the FBI
>>
>>48208429
NAW BRO. nope only the cards are left.
The tokens get removed by the clone/dual nature leave the battlefield trigger ,after the clone returns ,I think!

Sorry original dude ,you just got opalescence banned in all formats ,for confusing judges for the last time!!! Oh the Humility.
>>
>>48209049
Ah right, I forgot about Dual Nature's LTB trigger. My bad.
>>
>>48209049
Did you seriously just write fanfiction about your stupid deck and ask poorly worded questions just so you could feel good about confusing a judge?
>>
File: gA.png (100 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
gA.png
100 KB, 625x626
>>48209187
>>
>>48209219
>>48209187
I mean, it happens. I was too hyper-focused on Dual nature making extra tokens that I forgot to factor in the other two triggers on it.
>>
File: triangel.png (259 KB, 800x1832) Image search: [Google]
triangel.png
259 KB, 800x1832
>>48209256
Would you rather judge Draft or Sealed? Would you rather play Draft or Sealed?
Do you own (or have you ever considered owning) a Cube?
>>
>>48210820
Well, unless it's a prerelease or some other Regular REL thing, judging Sealed comes with a Draft at the end, so you end up doing both. Not that there's much difference, judge-wise; CALLED drafts are irritating, but I'm never on the main event Day 2 of a GP, so I don't have to deal with it.

As for playing, probably Sealed, because I'm a godawful drafter.

I don't own a cube because I'm not great at draft, I'm worse at building things, and I only trust like 2 people in my playgroup enough to build a cube worth more than 5 dollars.
>>
>>48204077
Oh shit, that reminds me of my first or second prerelease, back in theros block. I was playing against an older guy, who had been playing for years. This guy had dropped archetype of finality and archetype of courage, so he was in good shape.

I managed to stick a double striker, and when he swung archetype of courage I blocked. He claimed that his guy lived while mine died, since his archetype removed my first strike damage. That sounded fishy so I called a judge (mind you I had been playing for a few months, so I still had a shaky understanding of the game.). The judge came over, told him that double strike was a separate keyword, was not removed, and his archetype died.

After the judge left, he told me that the judge was wrong, and that double strike was just shorthand for first strike and normal damage. I don't remember who won in the end, but I do remember savoring the fact that I understood the rules more after a few months than he did after several years.
>>
>>48212413
I can see how he'd misunderstand that, because that's one of the VERY FEW instances where his flawed understanding of what Double Strike is would conflict with the reality of what it is.
>>
>>48212413
It is really just first strike and normal damage, but it is its own keyword so that guy can get fucked.

That's pretty fucky trying to rule jargon somebody like that. Probably just salty his money deck actually had to try
>>
>>48212499
>Prerelease
>Money Deck
>>
>>48212454
It's totally understandable, but what was ridiculous is how he still held that belief after the judge came over and explained that double strike is not just shorthand for 'first and normal strike', but that they are entirely separate keywords. He even went so far as telling me that the judge was wrong. Sure judges can be wrong, but I find it hard to believe that anyone could become a judge without a firm understanding of how evergreen keywords function.
>>
Okay so I was playing Magic with some friends in the kitchen. Nothing serious, just a muck about, a three player game. I've got some weak Eldrazi creatures out and a Deceiver of Forms which has been hit with Bound By Moonsilver because my friends are fucking faggots who make decks with nothing but suppression cards to shit on my good Eldrazi cards.

I use Deceiver of Form's ability, reveal top card and can transform other creatures to become copies of that creature until end of turn, and manage to pull It That Betrays. I transform all my shit eldrazis into It That Betrays and attack one of them. They block most of them and don't die from the attack but then say "I CONCEDE SO YOU DON'T GET ANY OF MY LAND CARDS". Is that legal, to concede before an ability resolves in a multiplayer game?

Also in another instance I got It That Betrays out and attacked the same guy twice with it over 2 turns and got some lands from him. Then he says he concedes and because he's not playing anymore the lands I took from him he gets to take back. Is that right or is he just being a salty cunt who can't handle my enormous, tentacle laden Eldrazi ramp?
>>
>>48212910
It is legal to concede at anytime as a special action. When a player concedes, it is a game loss, and all cards they own are removed from the game.

As to your question of whether they or salty or not, the answer lies in their motive for scooping. If they needed to leave in a hurry, then no. If they just wanted to stop you from winning then yes. Many people call it a 'tactical scoop'. I personally think it's retarded, but many people believe it's just another strategy.
>>
>>48212910
You can concede at any time, for any reason. Even if they took the hit and sacced the lands, all their shit would leave as soon as they concede, so it's kind of a moot point.
>>
>>48212975
>>48213010

There was no hurry, it was like 7 at night and we had nothing else to do and we played like 3 more games after that.

So basically what he did was technically okay but also he's being a salty faggot?
>>
Are fat packs worth it senpaitachi? Was thinking of copping the shadows over innistrad one.
>>
>>48213054
No, what he did was 100% legal and you calling him a salty faggot for it makes you a bit salty.

>>48213076
Opening packs is rarely worth it overall, but if you want to inject some 9 packs into your collection and get a box too, it's not an AWFUL choice.
>>
>>48213160

I dunno man, he did once throw all his (read "my cards I lent him") at me because I wiped him out in one attack and then stormed out of the room.
>>
Hi galv.
I have some questions about delayed triggers.
How do you spot a delayed trigger? When can you stifle them, and when can you strionic resonator them?
>>
>>48213535
Pretty easily. A delayed trigger first has to be created by something else. An example would be the "exile at end of combat" delayed trigger for Geist of Saint Traft's angel token.

You can Stifle or Resonate them when they trigger, later on. For the Geist example, that'd be during the End of Combat step.
>>
>>48213010
If a player concedes while you control lands they own, can you tap those lands for mana immediately?
>>
>>48213184
lend him better cards.
>>
>>48213938
Nope. Conceding doesn't use the stack. The second they scoop, their lands are gone.

Now, since there's no such thing as sanctioned multiplayer free-for-all games, it's up to your group to decide what level of "dude, don't be a dick" strategic scooping counts as.
>>
>>48207183
>Good god that is not a flattering picture of me.
Eh, it's not so bad.
>>
>>48213076
Rumors are that innistrad fat packs have a better chance of containing a planeswalker. I got sorin out of one but balls on the other. Most people at my store seemed to get a planes walker out of theirs.
>>
>>48213979
It's from back when I could only grow patchy facial hair and was barely 20. It's not great.
>>
The Spellskite activated ability does something only if he's a legal target right? Having it eat my opponent's counterspells sounds too good to be true.
>>
>>48214070
>6/1/2011: You can activate Spellskite's ability even if Spellskite wouldn't be a legal target for the spell or ability. However, the target of that spell or ability will remain unchanged.
>>
>>48214070
It'll resolve as long as the target is legal.

Whether the resolution of the ability changes the target to Spellskite is dependent on whether or not Spellskite is a legal target. It is not a legal target for Counterspell, so the target won't change, but it's perfectly legal to TRY to change it.
>>
>>48213946
His deck was great for destroying eldrazi. Just I got lucky with a bunch of counters and scour from existence.
>>
Okay. How the fuck does Fall of The Titans work? You pay one red mana and then X colorless mana to do damage to two creatures. So can you spend 3 mana for one value X and then 4 for another? If you want the value of X to be 4 for each do you have to spend 8 or 4 mana? If you cast it for its surge cost do you spend 8 mana to do 8 damage to two creatures? I don't understand that card at all.
>>
>>48214313
>X colorless mana
Generic cost, not colorless. You don't have to pay purely colorless into X.

>how it works
When you're casting a spell that has a variable component to it (the X in the cost), you declare what X is, and then replace all instances of X with that number. You can't have X be 3 AND 4. If you say X=3, then it costs 3 3 R (or 6R) and deals 3 damage to up to 2 targets. If you Surge it, then you say X=6, replace all values of X with 6, and now it's doing 6 damage to your targets, but only costing you 6 because you're using the alternate cost via Surge.
>>
>>48214190
get better friends?

like this -> http://www.webtoons.com/en/comedy/bluechair/ep-170-interacting-with-introverts/viewer?title_no=199&episode_no=232
>>
>>48214375

Sorry I always called generic mana colourless mana and then when Eldrazi came in with actual colourless mana it threw me off.

But yeah so the Surge cost means that you can spend 8 mana to do 8 damage to two targets but basic costs means the same 8 mana will only do 4 damage to each target? That's kinda mad.
>>
>>48214425
Right. If you only have 8R to spend and are casting it normally, you top out at X=4 because it'll cost you 4 4 R, or 8R, so 4 damage. If you're Surging it and have 8R handy, you can slot in X=8 and have it TECHNICALLY cost 8 8 R (so if anything cares about the CMC on the stack, it has a CMC of 17), but you're only PAYING 8R because alternate costs.
>>
>>48214458

Dang, that's nasty.
>>
>>48214533
If you cast it using surge you get two Fireballs for the price one, that's not bad at all.
>>
File: repeltheabominable.jpg (40 KB, 265x370) Image search: [Google]
repeltheabominable.jpg
40 KB, 265x370
Does this card prevent the damage from something like Chandra?
>>
>>48215816
Chandra is technically a human
>>
>>48215816
Yes, unless it's the front face of the flipwalker Chandra.
>>
can i do shit in my untap step, before the 'beginning of upkeep' shit starts going off but after I untap?

>>48207183
what is the penalty for Failure to Maintain Game State? why do judges love their acronyms?

>>48207102
>x on legs
sounds better than x on a stick
>>
>>48214458
Have you ever tried to judge a game of Mental Magic? What was it like?
>>
Is it legal to cast Daze on an empty stack and make it target itself / make it whiff to get the bounce effect anyway?
>>
>>48215916
>what is the penalty for Failure to Maintain Game State?

Warning.

>why do judges love their acronyms?

How many times would you like to write out "Failure to maintain gamestate" before you started using an acronym.

>x on a stick
That's Isochron Scepter

>>48215952
No, a spell can never target itself and must have a legal target for each instance of the word "target" in order to be cast.
>>
>>48207638
>that he needs to leave the shop.
do i need to leave the shop? what makes a person need to leave the shop?
>>
>>48184336

>The stack isn't "Lock everything in and then it all resolves

This helps me so much its fucking ridiculous.

I was also under the assumption werewolves flipped when no instants or sorcs were played so ive got a lot to learn haha.
>>
>>48216156
Generally if you get DQ'd for cheating you're also getting kicked out of the venue. Most store owners don't want a cheater on premises.

This might not hold at larger events, though. And the decision ultimately does lie with the TO and not the judge staff.
>>
File: 1389754862.png (331 KB, 396x554) Image search: [Google]
1389754862.png
331 KB, 396x554
So I quit playing MTG because it was too costly, however my friends and I manage to get Tabletop sim and so far we love it, and we're back to playing MTG on it. I got an Idea for a type of draft, can anyways help improve the idea or see if it fine?

Cube : almost 600 cards, much of it is filled with mythics and rares, probably worth $10000+ in real life

Rules:
Phase 1:
-Host deals randomly 15 cards to each player
-Players can pick any amount of those 15 cards to put into their deck.
Second phase: Players roll for highest, and go clockwise to draw from the cube or take cards from the free pile.
-Any cards they don't want to can put into a "free" pile and draw that many cards from the cube.
-If they want to take cards from the free pile they have to put that many cards at the bottom of the cube.
-Players can only do one or the other per each turn, this continues until all players can no longer draw or access the "free" pile. then they repeat the process until they reach 40 cards.

Traditional booster draft takes way too fucking long in table top sim.
>>
>>48216334
>Traditional booster draft takes way too fucking long in table top sim.
How long does Ananconda draft take?
>>
>>48215875
only Chandra, Fire of Kaladesh is a human by games rules though, which is what the question is

>>48215816
unless it has the subtype 'Human' then yeah Repels stops any damage from being dealt
>>
>>48216208
what does TO stand for? shouldn't it be SO for Shop/Store owner?
>>
>>48217085 Tournament Organizer.
It's usually (but not necessarily) the Store Owner or Manager.
>>
>>48215916
You can't. No actions may be taken in the untap step.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 34

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.