[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General: Kobolds Again! Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 35
File: 1459083595953.png (407 KB, 831x992) Image search: [Google]
1459083595953.png
407 KB, 831x992
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

Old Thread
>>48151467

What DMs Guild shit do you hope is featured in next week's spotlight UA?

And what do you hope for the *real* UA next month?
>>
>>48168281

Another non-prestige playtest class would be nice. I doubt the Mystic's the only thing they've got in the works.
>>
>>48168568
The correct answer is always new Feats.
Barring that, some new Ritual spells above 3rd level.
>>
>>48168605

After the last Feats UA, I want WotC to leave it the fuck alone until they get their heads out their asses. Other than Gourmand, I hated all the feats. So fuck 'em.

If we're going along that lines, then I'd like to see: More fuckin' weapons. Maybe exotic weapons as a type.
>>
>>48168281
They could always take another crack at making a Ranger class that isn't a mess.
But they'd have to figure out what they'd actually want a Ranger to be good for to do that.
>>
>>48168636
I have to agree, the Weapon Feats were the last sort of Feat the game needed.
The tool expertise Feats had promise, they should have focused on that.
>>
>>48168636
>hates the weapon feats
>wants exotic weapons with special abilities

So basically you want the crummy weapon feats built into the weapons instead.
>>
How do you guys build up consecutive encounters?
Progression of difficulty? Do you give your PCs ample time to prepare for the next one?

I personally do a; Medium to hard encounter with a few units, give time to prepare, and then smaller units into singular hard to deadly unit.
I mainly use trash mobs to lessen resources, so that a single strong monster isn't destroyed with just a couple disables.
>>
>>48168636
More mundane equipment options in general would be nice.
>>
>>48168704
I don't have a particular progression formula, but I have to say that generally it gets tougher as it goes, with a Boss monster with some sort of interesting environmental mechanic or ability. I usually give them at least a halfway point short rest opportunity.
>>
>>48168688

I've never heard a single complaint about the Lance. There's only minor discontent about the Net. They both work fine, why not another dozen weapons in the same vein? Hell, I've seen plenty of people ask about PCs getting repeating crossbows and the hooked spears from OotA. It's not just me that likes this shit. The weapon feats were sloppy and poorly thought out, so of course they're shit. They don't even follow the design philosophy of the original weapon feats from the PHB.

>>48168721

More adventuring gear? Sure, I'm down for that. More things along the same vein as Acid Vials and Alchemist Fires would be cool too.
>>
>>48168721
Like?
>>48168636
Like?

I feel they've covered the bases, and anything else is pretty easy to homebrew.
I just don't see the lack in either category, unless this is all about Katanas being their own special snowflake weapon again.
>>
>>48168762
>I've never heard a single complaint about the Lance
That's because it's a mounted weapon primarily, and people do not play 99.9% of the game mounted. It's adequate for a part of the game people give no fucks about.
>>
>>48168667
>>48168636
I like the weapon feats. Do you hate them because of the +1 to attack? But that is literally nothing in 5e. If you took away 1 attack from a player, they wouldn't even notice.
>>
>>48168778

5e is my first edition, so I dunno how they handled the katana in earlier editions, but yeah, I'd be down with the katana. But not just the katana. There's plenty of weapons from plenty of cultures that'd be pretty badass.

>>48168810

You could use the Lance like a makeshift Greataxe unmounted, can't you? It's just another Heavy, Two-Handed weapon unmounted, no? If I'm wrong, I apologize.

>>48168814

I dislike them because they're wildly off-base compared to the PHB weapon feats. There's literally nothing in common with Polearm Mastery, Great Weapon Fighting, Sharpshooter or Crossbow Expert, all of which are amazing feats. The weapon feats from UA offer situational bonuses with +1's tacked on. It's sloppy, it's UGLY and it's not what anyone should ever be thinking of, ever.
>>
Lads I'm rather new to DMing wondering if you could give me advice. One of my players wants a healing item so if he's separated from the cleric he will be able to heal himself. He's level 10, got any idea of what sort of item I should give him?
>>
>>48168860
Potions of healing.
>>
File: gygax on psions.png (13 KB, 574x136) Image search: [Google]
gygax on psions.png
13 KB, 574x136
>>
>>48168866
He wanted something that wouldn't run out so he doesn't have to pop to the shops every day, should I just tell him no?
>>
>>48168860

Healer's Kit with Healer feat.

Healing is not supposed to be easy to come by.
>>
>>48168860
>>48168866

Potions of
>Greater
Healing

Regular healing pots aren't even a bandaid for a LVL 10 PC
>Down to half of my 40 HP
> 1d4+1
>>
>>48168936
Ok cheers
>>
>>48168857
>t's just another Heavy, Two-Handed weapon unmounted, no?
It's a Greataxe with reach that you have disadvantage with attacking opponents adjacent to you. Disadvantage being a horrible penalty, no one uses it dismounted.

It's a powerful weapon under the specific situation of being mounted, which almost never happens in fights.
>>
How would you go about putting the Phantom Chasm illusion spell in 5e?
>>
>>48168860
Just general rule, no scooby doo mystery solving. Which means, don't split up. The cleric is the healslut so stay by them. If you feel the need, as a DM, to separate the group, then it should be weighed so that they can handle their side just fine.
>>
>>48168860
Tell him you won't force him into a situation where his character is separated from the cleric.
>>
Is Spear Master fine without the +1 to hit?
>>
>>48168973

I didn't think being dismounted was so rare, but now that you mention it, I've not seen many people use it. There's certain beastmaster builds that use it, and there's Find Steed, but even my own Paladin rarely used the steed (because it kept fucking DYING to FIREBALLS).

No, I take it back. I remember one guy had a giant lizard mount that he used to great success. But he had the lizard take its own actions on his own turn, which, if I'm reading the mounted rules correctly, isn't how it's supposed to go. I'd have though Dwarves would be more inclined to use mounts, given their limited movement, but this is news to me.

>>48169027

Yes.
>>
File: 1461548446070.jpg (43 KB, 960x719) Image search: [Google]
1461548446070.jpg
43 KB, 960x719
So how do you guys handle dungeon crawling as a DM?
Do you give them a map, or draw it out as it goes, or use minis, or make them draw it, or something different?
>>
>>48168860
Tell him that we don't always get what we want in life and that he should stop being such a fucking child.
>>
>>48169012
>>48169019
Yeah, I don't force them to split up but sometimes they split themselves up and I occasionally do solo sessions.
>>
>In a town that is regularly raided by drow
>We get a contract with the mayor to go out and kill some drow raiding parties
>Party sleeping and doing some shopping
>I go to the local brothel
>Ask if they have any drow girls
>They have none
>Ask how much they would be willing to pay for drow slaves
>They decline saying slavery is wrong and they only want willing employees
>Leave
>Talk to the Mayor about payement for Drow slaves
>he also says slavery is wrong

I don't understand, they are fucking drow. there is nothing morally wrong with enslaving them, it would allow the town to pay them back for all the families the drow enslaved and killed.
Not only that my DM said I am now Evil, I was just trying to make some extra cash! Taking as drow into slavery is a neutral action at worst.

Also when taking drow ears as trophies to I cut off the left or right one?
>>
>>48168860
You should start openly rolling a d6 whenever he asks something like that. When he then asks what the roll is for you simply tell him that's the damage his character took for asking retarded questions.
>>
>>48169071
>>48169109
After half an hour he would be bleeding out but sure I'll tell him to grow a pair.
>>
File: PZO FGG5E0001 Quests of Doom V1.jpg (136 KB, 532x671) Image search: [Google]
PZO FGG5E0001 Quests of Doom V1.jpg
136 KB, 532x671
Sup elegan/tg/entlemen, EN5IDERanon/FrogGodAnon here again.

I just bought Quest of Doom 3 and Rogues of Rembrello, and checked on En5ider again. I've updated my mega accordingly.

Reposting for anyone who missed it before, or wants the new files:
En5ider: https://mega.nz/#F!rAoGFBBJ!7oaBSiTtMQl5uDnevTEzHw
Frog God: https://mega.nz/#F!TUJwTZgY!XaKAS9xK0QDkYuGualBs_w
>>
>>48169062
Lack of good tiles but good improv leads me to just make it up as we go. Except we had a tile upside down and I was going to use it as a trap, but I didn't see what it was underneath.
Next thing we know the PC walks into a table and gets cursed.
>>
>>48169108

Subtle, but you could do better.

Personally, I think your DM has too much social justice in him. Nothing you can really do about that.
>>
>>48169106
That's the thing. As a new DM, try to keep them together. Less to manage and can halt derailing. To each his own though.
>>
>>48169108
The drow that did Evil in the past are not these drow.
Slavery is an Evil thing, regardless of the victim's race. Doing it for money doesn't lessen this.
>>
>>48169106

If your party splits, run encounters as you had planned. If you planned for the whole party to face something and just one schmuck shows up, then kill him. When you split the party, you die. That's how it goes.
>>
>>48169235
But the drow I was planning to capture were literally the ones who are the raiding party planning to village.

Its simple justice, I don't see how its any worse than killing them.
>>
>>48169238
Yeah, splitting in dungeons isn't the same as splitting in town to do shit.
If they split up in a dungeon, don't be afraid to put the boots to them.
>>
File: slavery.png (17 KB, 572x147) Image search: [Google]
slavery.png
17 KB, 572x147
>>48169235
It depends on the nature of the slavery. Would the Drow be made to repent through their actions as slaves?
>>
>>48168888
>Gygax didn't like it so no one else can
>>
>>48168888
>>48169277
I didn't know Gygax was this retarded.
>>
>>48169271
If the law of the land doesn't have Slavery set as a punishment for certain crimes, then you are just profiteering in a way that is unacceptable to the society you are in.

Just like you can't "enslave" someone who stole your car in real life.
>>
>>48169062
Describe what's going on. If they want to draw a map, that's on them.
>>
>>48169289
It was just nice to find that the man himself thought that they were fucking retarded and had no place in fantasy settings (for PCs).
>>
>>48169273

Not just in a dungeon. If you have a huge farm and you have an encounter on each side of the farm and the party decides to split, kill them. Or, at least, kill some of them.

And yes, I say this because I split the party. I thought it was just a goat giving birth, I didn't think it'd be a fight.
>>
File: When Armies Clash.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
When Armies Clash.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Repost from last thread-

Anyone here played with the When Armies Clash/wargaming rules? Does it mesh well into the actual game, or does it work better as a wargame by itself? What kind of adjustments have you made?
>>
>>48169320
Is the farm just an above ground dungeon? Who's to say, we are not just in a large dungeon and the sky is an illusion?
>>
File: Pawns Shipwreck.png (2 MB, 2204x2660) Image search: [Google]
Pawns Shipwreck.png
2 MB, 2204x2660
>>48169062
I use pathfinder and homemade pawns, and hand drawn or piazo maps beneath clear plexi.
This is for 5e mind you, and it's money and time intensive. But I go that extra mile.
>>
>>48169153
Thank you anon :)
>>
>>48169421
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQ2dI_B_Ycg
>>
>>48169374
I don't mix tabletop wargaming with RPGs.
It's too much hassle for too little of payoff.
>>
>>48168281
Two questions for you all:
1. How do you handle tool checks? Would I roll a d20, add a relevant stat modifier and proficiency (if applicable)?
2. Is there a good way to handle crafting, namely poisons?
>>
File: Pawns party.png (3 MB, 2204x2500) Image search: [Google]
Pawns party.png
3 MB, 2204x2500
>>48169476
Yeah, they are going to recover a treasure key from a merchant ship that stuck on some jagged rocks near a whirlpool.
There are giant crabs on the deck, and an intelligent Huge Octopus in the hold that has created a bunch of traps and obstacles in the mid deck (baited to trap the crabs), and will attack through holes in the floor with swords.
Among the treasure chests he'll have one with potions he'll drink to reover HP lost from the "tentacle encounter" and fight them normally as a huge pawn in the final fight.
It's a Nehwon campaign, I felt obligated to use a sword-wielding octopus at some point.

Pic related to party and Octo Pawn. (well far right is an NPC).
>>
>>48169504
That's how you handle tool checks
Non harvested poisons I would treat as using the magical item creation rules in the DMG for time and costs.
>>
>>48169504
> 1. How do you handle tool checks? Would I roll a d20, add a relevant stat modifier and proficiency (if applicable)?
Yep.

> 2. Is there a good way to handle crafting, namely poisons?
Use appropriate tool check. Spend money on raw materials. Waste material on shit rolls. Try not to waste everybody's time with a PC trying to have an in-character say job because crafting is boring af in every system ever.
>>
>>48169695
Honestly it's oftimes just simpler (and certainly cheaper) to just harvest poison from poisonous monters. The game has rules for this.
>>
>>48169729
Agreed, but that would be harvesting, not crafting.
>>
File: Wormhole Pawns2.3.png (3 MB, 2100x2661) Image search: [Google]
Wormhole Pawns2.3.png
3 MB, 2100x2661
>>48169729
On the other hand, as long as you have enough of what you're trying to make already costed out, and the party is in a situation where you have spare time, and you can just make the appropriate rolls for the GM, make some poisons. It's a good gold-sink.
>>
>>48169750
There's always the process of isolating and purifying the poison.
>>
File: Wormhole Pawns2.2.png (5 MB, 2204x2660) Image search: [Google]
Wormhole Pawns2.2.png
5 MB, 2204x2660
>>48169750
As long as you don't make it a lengthy distraction for the DM, knock yourself out.
>>
>>48169766
They don't handle monster venom that you harvest in the field that way.
>>
>>48169504
So, here's a nice way of doing it. Basically figure out price. Say they want poison worth 50gp. They need the mats, so 80%(?) cost worth of materials. You, as the DM, can have this be an item called "Materials" or have them go get branches from the dope poison bush. Then, have their d20 roll be how much gold worth of effort they were able to complete. Worded that weirdly, say the roll 1d20+4 and get 10. That's 10gp out of the 40gp they need to make a 50gp poison. Tell them it takes, 10 minutes to do just that (crafting should take a minute, especially on the fly). So with his next rolls he can have it done in two turns of a shit gob more turns. Take 20 and he can have it done definitely but longer, take 10 if he's proficient with making poisons so he gets 10+modifiers every single time.

That's how I roll crafting.
>>
>>48168857
Well, that's because the PHB feats handle obvious bonuses. What other feats could they include that wouldn't just be doing the same shit with a different weapon/situation? Obviously any new feats they come out with are going to be even more situational or include mechanics not already considered...they did all the obvious shit already.

I think mechanics like getting something out of both advantage strikes landing or your dropped disadvantage strike landing is actually clever and has a place somewhere in the game. Why not there?
>>
>>48169949
I also think flail mastery works, but should probably include whips, and target not only shields but cover as well since they work in essentially the same principle. Drop the +1 to attack if you don't like it, it's honestly nothing.

If they added another -5 attack +10 damage feat, that'd be lame as fuck. It's bad enough there's two. And bad enough there's one.
>>
>>48169949

As was said earlier in the thread, the spear mastery feat is almost fine, barring the +1 bullshit. So it's clear they haven't completely forgotten what the fuck they're doing, but every other weapon feat was completely off base. Additional effects against shields? How fuckin' situational can you get?
>>
>>48170017
That's only slightly more situational than half the feats in the PHB, I hope you realize. Just because you're a munchkin who uses Polearm Mastery + Sentinel, doesn't mean all of the other feats are just as good.
>>
Critique my setting:

>magic is very controlled. Each district has a licensing authority controlled by the local majority party.
>every person who uses magic is required to get a license every year, otherwise their use of magic is unsanctioned, and can result in police actions.
>police actions range from raids for arrests, to straight up assassinations of the more dangerous targets.
>local political party has tons of authority, usually denies licenses to people not willing to play ball with them.
>>
>>48170147
Who is enforcing all this? And how? And why?
>>
>>48168646
This, desu.
>>
>>48170123

Half the feats in the PHB aren't weapons feats. It's disingenuous to compare something like Crossbow Expert to something like Observant.

Sentinel is overrated, by the way.
>>
For a barbarian, is it worth it to multiclass out to Bard 2-3 or should I just give him an entertainer background if I want him to be a glory seeking mexican wrestler type?
>>
>>48170175
If Sentinel isn't the most effective feat in your game, your Fighter is just an idiot.
>Free reaction attack the first time anyone swings at the Cleric or Rogue.
It's almost "gain another attack" the Feat.
>>
File: tumblr_lyk37nquOC1qzqnxxo1_1280.jpg (348 KB, 954x714) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lyk37nquOC1qzqnxxo1_1280.jpg
348 KB, 954x714
Is there any way to play as a skeletal as 5e?
>>
>>48170213
I hate Multiclassing, and with the Backgrounds (and even a third possible skill as a human) there is almost no reason to fuck with it.
>>
File: skeleton.png (1005 KB, 794x939) Image search: [Google]
skeleton.png
1005 KB, 794x939
>>48170242
>>
>>48170245
Eh you're right, there's no point in fidgeting with class stuff just for meaningless fluff, that's what backgrounds are for! And so Oso Mundo was born
>>
>>48170213
Take Performance, Acrobatics, Intimidation, Athletics with your background/class, throw in whatever skill as a human, and you're good.
Take Eagle totem to leap and swoop down on your foes.
Why Bard?
>>
>>48170224

Excuse me? Your plan for the feat is to skip your first round of action, and perhaps many more, so you can stand next to your backliner and protect them like a lapdog instead of getting into the thick of things and taking care of whatever you're facing? And your DM isn't going to be throwing AOE your way because you stupidly decided to bunch up? That's what you consider to be the plus side of the feat? Is that how people use this thing? Are you fuckin' serious? Is everyone retarded?

>>48170213

Barbarian multiclasses are always bad. The best Barbarian is a solo class barbarian, and I love multiclassing. Barbs just can't do it.

>>48170245

You're a faggot.
>>
File: image.jpg (86 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
86 KB, 640x640
>>48168281

Will there be a supplement for playing characters that go beyond 20th level?

Sorry if this is a dumb question. I am just getting into 5e..
>>
>>48170360

No, there won't be, because 5e is for casual players who do not make it to 20th level.

/tg/ is under the (false) assumption that campaigns do not make it to level 20. This is based off of their casual gaming and their autistic relationships with their group that cause most of the campaigns to fall apart before level 8.

/tg/ considers a long campaign to be one that lasts a year IRL and gets you to level 8 or so. That should show you the kind of dedication they have to gaming, and why they have no objection to the lack of epic level rules for 5e.
>>
>>48170360
Characters who gain experience beyond 20th start gaining epic boons or some such every chunk of XP
>>
>>48170382
Playing the same game weekly for over 2 years is pretty much the epitome of autism mi familio, people have lives.
>>
>>48170147
How do they fight a powerful magic user? Are there magic users in the ranks? How do you get a license? How do you keep track of if its a real license or just a fake one made with magic.
>>
Whats a good point for a fighter to multiclass? Looking to maybe pickup Rogue for the Expertise among other things
>>
>>48170339
I DM for a Champion with good Dex and Str.
He usually goes first in the party (the high dex rogue usually defers to going second), and sticks in, hits someone with shield bash as a bonus to prone them first, then stabs for advantage for better crit chances. The cleric is a martial type and usually is either adacent to him in a fight against lots of minions, or stuck in against the Big Bad. If the big Bad attacks him (even if he's on the other side of it, he gets a free attack.
>>
>>48170242
Yes. Google reddit unearthed arcana playable undead. There's a pdf with ghost, revenant, and skeleton subraces.
>>
>>48168888
Gygax also wanted D&D to be sword and sandals/planet low-magic fantasy, but everyone plays it as LotR with magic cranked up from 2 to 13. So if he's going to be wilfully ignored there, might as well keep on trucking with rad psionics.
>>
>>48170411
So people in bowling leagues or softball leagues are also autists?
Maybe you just lack people who can stand to be around you for the long haul.
>>
>>48170465
>Gygax also wanted D&D to be sword and sandals/planet low-magic fantasy,
The Nehwon campaign I've been running for a year now is exactly that.
>>
>>48170429

Fighters don't have much reason to do so, but many classes have reason to MC into Fighter.

>>48170453

Coincidentally, despite my inexperience, I have also DMed for a Champion with high Str and Dex. Quite a beast he was. Nevertheless, when you've got players sticking together, AOE should be what the foes go for. If you've not got a caster or two in your encounters for your players, or at least a monster that can do AOE abilities, then you're not really setting up a challenge for them. Having them chop down trees is not fun for them nor should it be for you.
>>
File: cobraladyskel.webm (2 MB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
cobraladyskel.webm
2 MB, 480x360
>>48170242
FUCK skellingotns
>>
Anyone do one on one campaigns before? How were they?
>>
>>48170469
Bowling leagues and softball are seasonal, those people don't play every single weekend, which you would need to to reach level 20 in less than 2 years.
>>
>>48170491
That's specifically one of the influences he pointed out when he said this is what D&D is gonna be, so good on you.

I'd love to run a Barsoom game, but I'm known among my friends for having an irrational hateboner against casters, so they might see that as me being a sneaky little shit. Then again, they all favor mundane classes anyhow.
>>
>>48170502
Honestly, your average room usually makes it hard for people to get that distance without everyone jamming into a corner, and the party has a number of team-coordination maneuvers to offset the risk of being bunched up.
As it's only 5th level, and lower magic Nehwon, they've fought more foes with Pack Tactics or other clever stuff than Fireballs and Dragons, so this strategy has worked well for them so far. When they start running afoul of Quarmallian Wizards and Warlocks, or Simorgyans, they may have to change it up a bit. But for now the Champion is getting great use out of Sentinel.
>>
>>48170537
I don't think you can legitimately reach lvl 20 in two years playing weekly, unless every game is a slash/hack festival.
>>
>>48170548

The games I've been in have led to me to think that in most situations, it's better to hit that 18 attack stat rather than taking a feat at level 4. I would be remiss to think that one could be useful sitting at level 7 with a mere +3 to their attack stat. I can feel all those misses, and it makes me feel bad.
>>
>>48169153
You are a god amongst men, anon.

Did you back Bard's Gate? I am seriously considering going without real food for a month to get the PDF...
>>
>>48170541
That's the party I run for there
>>48169574
A Mingol Champion, Tisinilit Arcane Trickster, Kleshite rainforest Ranger, (girl is NPC), Southerner priest (works like a Cleric, is actually a demigod by background), and another NPC.
>>
>>48170608
You'd have a total of +5 to hit naked with 16 Str, +6 at 7th level. That's assuming you don't have a bonused weapon at that point.
The Champion has a masterforged non-magic Longsword, (basically +1) and has a +7 to hit at 5th level and does fine.
(Mingols in my campaign do not have Heavy Armor proficiency and instead get +1 to hit with a single weapon of their choice).
>>
>>48170286
>NPC features

Try again.
>>
>>48170620
Nope. I torrented it.
Almost-complete pack: https://kat.cr/frog-god-games-necromancer-games-t10857468.html
File itself: https://mega.nz/#!GUhnFQbZ!naw8EIyHKwErObZh5-FrchXlegEQHQaN3rdG3o11XHI
>>
>>48170559
Yes you can. It's called milestones.
>>
>>48170736
True....if you want to go that route. I actually DO use that in lieu of experience, but I don't know that I'll want them to progress quite that fast. Then again, I have a very, very stable group that isn't likely to go anywhere.
>>
>>48170147
I'd like to know why; if the reason is good, then I'm okay with it.
>>
>>48170242
Homebrew one, friendo.
You ever play Darkness Falls? Everything there was a classic horror monster. Your class choices (since classes were whole races) were skeleton (DW/SB fighter), zombie (2H/SB fighter), werewolf (monk/barbarian), imp (rogue), orc (healer), demon (support caster/crafter), human necromancer (caster), vampire (caster).
>>
>>48170824
>classic horror monster
>Orc (healer)
Does not compute
Should be Witch or something, not a fucking Orc.
>>
>>48170725
>https://mega.nz/#!GUhnFQbZ!naw8EIyHKwErObZh5-FrchXlegEQHQaN3rdG3o11XHI

Actually, they're doing a kickstarter for a reboot of Bard's Gate, for 5e, no less. $40 for the PDF. >.> That's basically my food budget.
>>
>>48170847
They were more like trolls or formorians in all honesty, just called orcs. As for why they healed, someone had to do it, and at least you could swing the nature-y/shaman angle with them way better than a fucking necromancer.
>>
>>48170869
What's so great about Bard's Gate?
>>
>>48170930
It's just a fun city setting, for those of us without the time to homebrew our own. Plus, the way those guys write their campaigns fits the way I DM really well, so it works out.
>>
>>48168636
Gourmand was the worst one dude
>>
Is there any built-in function for Roll20 to automatically reroll a 1 or 2?
>>
>>48171013

You're a faggot.
>>
>>48170723
>how do I do X
>post closest possible official way to X
>lel nice try fuck off faggot
The only other answer is homebrew.
>>
>>48171039
If you mean for GWF, you put this as the damage of say, a great sword: 2d6ro<2

r = reroll every matched result
ro = reroll once
<2 = less than or equal to 2
>>
>>48171039
>>48171066
Your greataxe would have damage dice of 1d12r1r2
>>
In what order would you rank the published Adventures? What is it the best does so well?
>>
>>48168721
seriously, every time my PCs go to a town they want to shop for better armor/weapons/etc but there's really nothing better for their build than the starting equipment--maybe studded leather armor.
>>
>>48170170
An inquisition branch of the government that is supposedly neutral in politics.

>>48170415
>fighting a powerful magic user
Assassination is the preferred route for high level casters. But they aren't above throwing people into meat grinders to get them.

But typically speaking, high level casters don't get targeted, because a high level caster is going to be such a political influence in their local district that they get a license.

>>48170822
people don't really know why in the current setting, it just is. If you ask people they'll say it's because magic can't be trusted without oversight.

The main reason is that powerful supernatural beings were using magical humans in a proxy war way back in ye older times, so as part of a truce, they enacted this policy.
>>
>>48168636
>>48168667
Fell Handed is pretty cool IMO
I like that it's built around teamwork
>>
>>48168926
That's what short rests and Hit Die are for--tell him to take a level into fighter so he can grab an extra 2-11 hp every short rest as well. other than that, have him stock up on a shitton of pots of healing, or make him craft like a super potion of healing that heals 2d12+2 instead of 2d4+2
>>
>>48169062
I have the party assign a cartographer (usually the player with the best drawing skills)--I describe what's happening and the cartographer draws it out. If they want, I let them flavor it that their character is drawing the map as well
>>
i wanna play a goblin/kobold kind of character. the old "party mascot, sucks at everything" trope

anyone got any input? class feats whatnot
>>
>>48171578
Completely screw yourself.
Look the DM in the eyes and tell him that you wish to fail your hit point rolls. So you get 1 plus modifiers. Now you can't effectively fight, now dump stat dex all of it. Don't choose any finesse weapons and don't wear armor with a dex mod. Remove your characters fingers, making most dex rolls impossible. Top it off, I guess choose Ranger. Go archery/hunter or whatever, as you can't use a bow and having a beast companion would actually help.
>>
>>48171651
>Look the DM in the eyes and tell him that you wish to fail your hit point rolls. So you get 1 plus modifiers.

It's so hilarious when that happens naturally. Upset my whole damn table when I told the guy he couldn't re-roll or take the average.
>>
So I'm currently a warforged and one of my partymembers has mending. DM agreed that it can be used as cure wounds on me including expending spell slots. It seems fair, thoughts?
>>
>>48172133
If it requires spell slots to be expended then... sure I guess? It should be fine. Even if it lets wizards and so on heal it's still just healing a very specific creature, still requiring spell slots.
>>
>>48168984
>Your enemies shriek in terror as, at least in their mind's eye, a bottomless pit opens beneath their feet.
>Illusory Reality

I L L U S I O N I S T S
>>
>>48172226
What can't Illusory Reality do?
>>
>>48172277
Summon a qt waifu.
>>
>>48172306
ACTUALLY if you use major illusion with illusory reality, you can create a qt waifu ez pz
>>
>>48172226
Can you make a pit, or indeed any hole with illusory reality?
>>
>>48172457
To me it seems like cartoon magic.

So if bugs bunny or roadrunner could do it, you probably can too.

This includes:

>painting a door and walking through it, only to turn it fake just as the chasing force would crash into it.
>sliding a hole under people
etc, etc
>>
>>48169374
>>48169480
I agree with this anon, I think you just need to handle clashing armies narratively, not move onto a wargame for when it happens
>>
What would a crazy archmage say to the bard of whom he's the number one fan?
>>
>>48170123
S H O T S
H
O
T
S
F I R E D
I
R
E
D
>>
>>48170339
>Barbarian multiclasses are always bad. The best Barbarian is a solo class barbarian, and I love multiclassing. Barbs just can't do it.
i don't agree with this but you're right i think about this anon's situation
>>
>>48170429
>Whats a good point for a fighter to multiclass?
do it after level 5. you don't have linear progression like some classes, you really want extra attack ASAP.
>>
I gave one of my players a magic weapon, but I haven't decided exactly what it should do yet. I know that the theme needs to be centered around purity of will. I also have a few ideas in mind, but you guys have given me awesome ideas before, so I figured I might as well run it by you guys first.

Any cool ideas? If it helps, the weapon is a giant sword for a fighter who does absurd amounts of damage (mostly due to his luck).
>>
>>48172745
"Please give me a cubic inch of your flesh! I'll make you immortal so you can sing forever and ever! I love your music so much! Please give me your flesh!" He would shout from an indiscernible location in the crowd. A crowd of which he probable created with illusion magic to have the bard all to himself.
>>
Is there any way to add animate dead to the warlock spell list without resorting to homebrew? Maybe with a magic item or something?
>>
>>48172778
reaction attack when he succeeds on a wisdom save? kind of weirdly specific, or anyway my dm hasnt thrown one wisdom save at us i think our whole campaign so far.
>>48172848
just ask your DM to let you take it.
>>
So it seems to me like Illusions are all divided up into scaling versions of the same spell way more than any of the other schools of magic. And as such it feels like there are functionally way fewer spell effects for Illusionists even if illusions themselves can be very flexible when creatively applied. Is this just a holdover from previous editions where you needed a new version of each spell in each spell slot to get maximum effect?

Minor Illusion(0)->Major Image(3)

Disguise Self(1)->Seeming(7)

Silent Image(1)->Programmed Illusion(6)->Simulacrum(7)
Illusory Script(1)->Magic Mouth(2)--^

Color Spray(1)->Hypnotic Pattern(3)

Invisibility(2)->Greater Invisibility(4)
\-------------->Mislead(5)->Project Image(7)

Phantasmal Force(2)->Phantasmal Killer(4)->Weird(9)
Fear(3)-----------------------------------------------------^

Hallucinatory Terrain(4)->Mirage Arcane(7)

Blur, Creation, Dream, Mirror Image, Nystul's Magic Aura, Phantom Steed, and Silence are all more unique applications of Illusion magic but for the most part it feels like a lot of these could have just been scaling versions of spells. Is there really enough differentiation between their effects that they needed to be divided up?
>>
>>48172853
illusions are highly dependent on you and what you can come up with... i think its fine
>>
File: 1466648692560.png (189 KB, 309x450) Image search: [Google]
1466648692560.png
189 KB, 309x450
>>48171376
So put magic items in the shops.
If the idea of that irrationally upsets you, make up your own mundane items for them to buy.
>>
How would you guys rate/build an oathbreaker paladin/GOO warlock that worships Hastur? I was thinking sword and board, dex based starting as human for shield mastery and eventually being able to add charisma to damage twice.
>>
>>48173007
Why take shield master as a dex man?
>>
>>48172703
>Make illusion of 10 foot pit
>Illusory reality it real
>Enemy falls in
>Make it unreal
>Enemy instantly crushed to death.
>>
>>48171376
The last settlement my PC's went into was a freehold in the Stony Barrens that had 6 significant shops in it:
A Silverworks that bought silver, and sold gold bars and local gemstones of various value (useful for converting treasure to lighter stuff)
and sold a few nice art pieces.
A Hide shoppe that bought creature hides, and sold leather goods made from the local indigenous Giant Toads (waterproof) and masterwork leather and studded (+1ac)
They also had a Behemoth Hide shield +2 for 50k that the party wasn't close to affording
A 3rd shop sold sundries, with super strong Spider Silk rope (5gp a foot) from the neighboring Jungle region, and Behemoth Oil (triple str oil flasks)
4th shop was a Rare Finds shop run by some local bandit types, selling Giant Toad and G Centipede Venom, soldier's uniforms and gear from the hostile city to the north, including a Vicious Crossbow (nonmagic, advanced)
5th shop was a Curios and Cures store that sold various cures (potions) both local and from the jungle, Poison antidotes, and bought and sold oddities.
6 Shop was an inn that had a few bottles of expensive (stolen) vintage wine from same said city.

Each shop sold at least a dozen items modified from the Equipment list, a service or two (Silvered Weapons ect) had a couple "rare" expensive items and bought certain forms of valuables.
Printed in a nice handout, the party spent 3/4 of their treasure there, (couldnt afford the shield even pooling money) and it didn't kill a lot of time as they each looked at it while the others were RPing something in the freehold.

Everyone was happy.
>>
Dumb question:
Are you supposed to add str to your weapon damage?
Because I'm playing on roll20 and this sheet indicates that a greatsword damage is 2d6+3(str mod)
no way this is right
>>
>>48173024
its a good way for a Dex man to get a Save for no damage effect, plus the (admittedly limited) single target dex save for no damage.
>>
File: read the book.jpg (320 KB, 500x572) Image search: [Google]
read the book.jpg
320 KB, 500x572
>>48173034
Yes, you are supposed to add your Strength mod to melee weapon damage. Similarly, you add your Dexterity modifier to ranged weapon damage, and you can add it to finesse weapons if you use Dex to attack with them.
>>
>>48173024
to have nigh untouchable AC and always succeed on the dex saving throw for no damage. The bonus action shove is just a bonus.
>>
>>48173040
Hold the fuck on.
I thought that was for ATTACK rolls only, not for DAMAGE rolls.
What page of the PHB says that?
>>
>>48173025
That's the thing about cartoon magic tho. It's never lethal. The elmer fudd you just tried to bury alive has now found himself in some hunderground caverns.
>>
File: 5e weapon damage.png (78 KB, 367x83) Image search: [Google]
5e weapon damage.png
78 KB, 367x83
>>48173068
PHB pg. 196.
>>
>>48173068
Page 14, "Using this book": weapons.
You can see this evidenced in the monster manual too.
>>
>>48173068
for finesse? pg147 you nignog.
>>
>>48172377
>one inanimate, non-magical object

I guess you could have a dead waifu and do necrophilia.
>>
>>48173068
It's called bounded accuracy. Whichever stat you use for your attack, you also use for damage.

Attack is 1d20 + proficiency bonus, if proficient + STR (melee) or DEX (ranged, finesse melee)

Damage is the damage die + whichever stat you used
>>
>>48173091
>best waifu and do necrophillia

It aint dead if its an ILLUSION
>>
File: you what.jpg (56 KB, 247x567) Image search: [Google]
you what.jpg
56 KB, 247x567
>>48173093
>It's called bounded accuracy.
>>
>>48173091
If she's real, her corpse is a valid target for resurrection magic.
>>
File: Crossing Mkt 1.jpg (126 KB, 667x802) Image search: [Google]
Crossing Mkt 1.jpg
126 KB, 667x802
>>48173033
It was a double sided handout. 1/2
>>
File: dndheights.png (139 KB, 1092x707) Image search: [Google]
dndheights.png
139 KB, 1092x707
>>48173105
lmao
>>
>>48173105
Oh, I thought that's what bounded accuracy was. Everyone always says, "5e has bounded accuracy so you don't need to focus on STR and DEX." Your attack and damage use the same stat.
>>
File: 1454261680123.jpg (225 KB, 1200x1600) Image search: [Google]
1454261680123.jpg
225 KB, 1200x1600
>>48173085
>>48173093
Thanks, and yeah I was on the equipment section which described weapons,so i didn't see that.
holy fuck couldn't they specify it there as well?
>>
File: Crossing Mkt 2.jpg (125 KB, 637x797) Image search: [Google]
Crossing Mkt 2.jpg
125 KB, 637x797
>>48173115
cut off the expensive wine, oh well.
Plan to do one for the next two communities they are likely to hit, the hidden Rainforest city of Savah-Klesh, and the big medieval Romanesque city to the north Tovilyis (which specialized in art, finished goods, weapons and wine).
>>
>>48173122
Bounded accuracy means monsters don't get (much) harder to hit as their challenge rating increases.

In old editions, monsters got progressively harder to hit.
>>
>>48173122
Bounded accuracy is covered in advantage/disadvantage, the proficiency bonus system, and the overall lack of extraneous numerical bonuses to d20 rolls. It just means that the game's resolution math is "bounded" to the dice that it utilizes (the d20), instead of the much higher numbers you see in 3.5e and 4e.
>>
>>48173007
bumpin for feedback/build
>>
>>48173123
The 5e books are a well-known clusterfuck of disorganization, with Indices written by someone who clearly hates all human life.
>>
>>48173122
no bounded accuracy just means the limits of your attacks, checks, dcs, etc will be within a certain bounds, unlike past editions where you might start with a +2 to a skill check at level 1, and move into the +50s or more later in (character) life.
>>
>>48173133
Oh. That doesn't sound like the kinda' thing that needs a term made-up for it. Isn't that true for all RPGs? Enemies get harder to hit, but it doesn't matter because your accuracy goes up...
>>
>>48173147
5e has a pretty limited range of bonus and AC ranges compared to most editions, even the older ones.
>>
File: 1466349996444.jpg (267 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1466349996444.jpg
267 KB, 1920x1080
you guys think for my setting, which is a completely different pantheon than the forgotten realms, i should just fit existent cleric domains into my setting, or should i just make specific domains for specific gods? i feel moderately confident at homebrewing cleric domains, but i don't know if thats just a bad idea or what...
i guess my real question is how deep do i go on this
>>
>>48173164
I made one (a Travel Domain) for my campaign, I'd be sparing with crafting up a pile of them.
>>
>>48173147
well its not stated in the book, its not a mechanic, its just a word the designers used to discuss. i think a name is warranted because they wanted to create a term in order to have a discussion about the concept.
and your understanding is flawed. its not that monsters get harder to hit, but your accuracy goes up. its that monsters DON'T get _much_ harder to hit, and your accuracy doesnt increase _much_. instead things stay relatively level. plate armor sets your AC to one number, and that number is powerful at all levels.
>>
>>48173164
Just go with the ones available. They cover a pretty wide range of possible gods. If there are gods that don't fit existing domains, brew a domain for 'em.
>>
>>48173177
care to share?
>>
>>48173187
>>48173177
yeah i think as needed is what i will do... i just want to use a few more abstract concepts than are covered by the phb ones... i.e. a kind of wheel/nirvana/buddhist inspired one, and maybe modify a few (probably just spell wise) to fit in with specific gods.
>>
>>48173163
>>48173146
>>48173137
Sorry, I'm new to /tg/. I didn't realize it was that severe in older editions. Does that mean it was viable to find ways to focus on damage and just wait for a crit?
>>
>>48173198
oh, i was also toying with just adding more channel divinity options to fit specific cults... and i use the word cult more in a greek cult sense.
anyone ever done that?
>>
>>48173164
Don't forget the Arcane Domain in the Sword Coast book.
With all those you really should be fine unless someone really wants to run a Cleric to a God with an odd sphere of power, and then you can decide if it's worth homebrewing.

Doing a bunch for no raisin is just unecessary tedium.
>>
>>48173147
In older editions, the ac differences were pretty high. Additionally, skill checks were similar: the editions were designed around your players having to deal with harder locks and other skill checks as things went on.

In effect, this meant a lot of extra bookkeeping: Players had to increase their to hit/skill bonuses by stacking lots of mods, and DMs either had to remember what the challenge was supposed to be for players of that level, or just forget about it, and give the players easy challenges.
When people say 5e has bounded accuracy, what they mean is that the days of modstacking and increasing AC based on level are over.

A hard lock is the same DC at level 5 as it is as level 15. A gold dragon has the same AC it would have at 5 as it would at 15.

The only bonus players need keep track of is proficiency, and instead of letting them merely keep up with the armsrace of increasing stats, it actually does make them better at hitting things.

Put another, simpler way: In older editions, monsters were partially balanced around being harder to hit the more difficult they were supposed to be. 5e switched that up, and instead balances them based on how many hits it takes to beat the monster.
>>
>>48173204
In ye olden D&D you got to the point where the Martials were the only ones who could hit serious AC, you didn't have a Gandalf unless you were some dev's quadruple class Overbitch like Elminster.

Now everyone can be stabby in a pinch, which is pretty nice. The only flaw in 5e with this is that they've made Dex WAY too nice compared to Str, given that you get a more useful save, initiative, and plenty of skill bonuses on TOP of AC from Dex.
>>
>>48173207
i think my setting is only going to have one primary god, and 3 or 4 specific cults, which have really specific spheres of influence, for example there is a pyre cult that worships a cremated god who exists on the planet, and their domain kind of fits into death and kind of fits into light... but i might combine the two a bit.
>>
File: Travel Domain abilities.jpg (140 KB, 921x490) Image search: [Google]
Travel Domain abilities.jpg
140 KB, 921x490
>>48173193
The domain spells are all movement related, like Expeditious retreat, Haste, Dimemsion Door, Passwall ect ect.
>>
>>48173230
Don't combine them, it's ok for a god to have Clerics that emphasize one aspect over the other.
>>
>>48173230
You realize that a world with one primary spell and miracle granting God, is going to lead to the Church being immensely powerful and influential over pretty much every aspect of the culture, right?
>>
>>48172745
Are you the anon who posted about this once before?
Did he give them the scrying handkerchief?
>>
File: carcosa.jpg (374 KB, 1600x917) Image search: [Google]
carcosa.jpg
374 KB, 1600x917
>>48173308
yeah, but its more like a force of nature that various churches/groups/nations interpret, and yes draw power from, but otherwise he (it?) stays out of things, and indeed may not even be really aware of or at least at all interested in the goings on on the ground, so to speak.
don't get me wrong, i'm planning on the curch/churches to be very powerful and influential in this setting, but its not like they follow a god who rules the universe with an iron fist. its a bit more like gnosticism, but gnosticism that grants superpowers, plus a few other immensely powerful beings which literally exist on the ground, but are sleeping/dead/or uninterested in conquest, and yet still leak divine power to their followers in one way or another.
and then some secrets lurk beneath the surface, and some still at the depths...
>>
File: Ratzinger.jpg (57 KB, 394x477) Image search: [Google]
Ratzinger.jpg
57 KB, 394x477
>>48173372
Ah, the God that does not directly answer; that can lead to rival Arch-Clerics interpreting His will to their benefit, all sorts of rivalries and inquisitions.
>>
>>48173401
yeah but its not a commentary on real life religions at all. just trying something different than your typical d&d pantheon, which i've never particularly liked, and something which hopefully will be more... idk... integrated than religion has typically felt for me in any d&d game. religion is pretty important to humans and often not important to people who don't play clerics. or in my experience, anyway.
i mean, i'll be stealing plenty from real life religions. don' get me wrong.
>>
>>48173435
Yeah, non-Clerics can be really indifferent, the one I'm running for was that way, until the Goddess of Liberation and Martyrdom started meddling in their affairs indirectly....
>>
>>48173311
You remember me! Yes, but they haven't met yet. The bard will receive a note from the archmage, but I'm not sure what to write in it.
>>
>>48173255

This is really, utterly poorly thought out.
>>
>>48171958
>Upset my whole damn table when I told the guy he couldn't re-roll or take the average.
Please let this be bait
>>
>>48173110
Holy shit, fucking this; someone give this man a medal!
>>
scalebolds suck
>>
>>48175163
Hmmm...

>Major Image of dead waifu at 6th level or higher
>Use Illusory Reality to make it real
>Use Revivify to make alive
>54 seconds later stops being real but keeps being alive + illusory

Is 54 seconds long enough for you?
>>
Rate my backstory:

A human barbarian merrily drinks at local inn. Ale, gold, and women are flowing. In his drunken state he starts going off on casters, saying how they are cowards and can't do real work. An elf in robes next to him scowls and tells him to be silent on casters or he will regret it. The human laughs it off and rips on him until the elf gets up and leaves.
The barbarian falls asleep at the bar, and when he wakes up he finds a mug is stuck attached long ways to his forehead. No matter how hard he pulls and tugs it won't come off. The bartender says that elf put it on, and he didn't stop him cause he thought it was funny.
The barbarian is now on the search to figure out what exactly he did to get the mug on and how to get it off, and to shove his boot up his ass.

The elf used sovereign glue, so the only things that can remove it is a universal solvent or oil of etherealness. And he has the feat Mage Slayer for flavor, or I could just make him a dwarf.
>>
>>48175220
Hm, maybe a Wish spell could do it...
>>
>>48168281
Something to deal with Immunity.
More "exotic" Weapons, where my spiked chain at
Rangers finally get fixed
No social feats. With how few feats you get and how useful they should be, social feats shouldnt exist. Just add on more things skills can do.
Finish up the Mystic, give it more attacks than thought spear.
Add more crafting classes.
Provide a gp value to magic items since loot tables annoy me and my players, because Gold gets useless with nothing to spend it on.
>>
File: Picture choice 1.jpg (251 KB, 700x990) Image search: [Google]
Picture choice 1.jpg
251 KB, 700x990
So, how good is the Artificer archetype for wizard? What do you think of its unique features, and how they fare in comparison to other wizard archetypes? Has anyone playtested it here, and if so, what was the experience like?
>>
>>48175358
I haven't played it but I've played wizards before and it's meh. It's definitely ok, there are better schools. But if you want to try it you can. It seems the class is meant to be making spell scrolls and giving it to other people to use. But it's not setup so you can make a scroll and then sell it.
>>
I'm DM'ing this weekend with a group that knows each other well, but it will be my first time running a 5e session. Any recommendations for modules?
>>
>>48175495
Lost Mines of Phandelver is a great starting module. It's chock full of details and pointers for people new to running 5e games, and it's got a little bit of everything suited for any mix of classes
>>
Anyone have the wealth score rules PDF?
>>
Anyone has the Heroes of the Orient pdf?
>>
>>48175358
I think they should actually introduce the concept of PCs being able to make magic items to 5e before they introduce character options that focus and specialize in it.
>>
>>48175921

I dislike that they didn't have specific gold prices for each item, and that there is no table of effects for magic armor and weapons.
>>
>>48175220
Being real is a necessary component of being alive. I think the resurrection spell would thus make the illusion permanently real.
>>
File: MTT.png (77 KB, 417x555) Image search: [Google]
MTT.png
77 KB, 417x555
>Playing level 4 Wild Magic Sorcerer
>Feel useless in fights. No damage, enemies always pass my DCs, constantly shitty surge results
>Level 5 comes around
>Holy shit
>Twinned Haste on the Barbarian+Rogue
>They fuck everyone up
>Wild Surge: Maximize next spell's damage
>Nigga tries to break my concentration
>Tides of Chaos motherfucker
>Fireball camp full of orcs for 48 instant fire damage
>Surge 2.0: 1 minute of bonus-action teleports
>DM's face

Is this what power feels like?
>>
>>48176130
Wild Magic is fun for the DM as well as the player. It's by far the best designed class.

I wish more classes were designed with those sorts of fate point esque mechanics: You use a feature, and then the DM gets to use a feature, which restores your use of the original feature. It's a highly interactive and fun design.
>>
>>48176130
>>48176294

I swear to God, me and another guy have read over that Tides of Chaos thing on no less than six occasions and each time we do we figure out it does something different than what we thought before. I think we've finally got it figured out now though.
>>
>>48176309
I read it as going something like this
>'hey, I'm using Tides of Chaos'
>you get advantage on the next thing you want it on
>On your next spell cast of 1st level or higher, you automatically surge
>>
>>48176389

I can't remember all of our iterations, but for a while we thought that all you had to do is roll on the Surge Table and you get Tides of Chaos back (when the DM tells you to roll). Turns out, you have to cast a 1st level spell or higher before the DM can have you roll on the Surge Table, then you get Tides of Chaos back.

For a while our Sorc just had advantage on Firebolt every round and a Surge roll every round.
>>
>>48176430
>For a while our Sorc just had advantage on Firebolt every round and a Surge roll every round

You say that like it's a bad thing.
>>
>>48176493

Didn't intend to make it sound bad. I love Wild Surges, at least when I'm not standing near the Sorcerer.
>>
>>48176309
>read this
>think 'whaat kind of idiot can't just read the book?'
>check the section again
>it doesn't work how I thought
I didn't realise you rolled straight on the surge table, I thought you just did the normal d20 roll with a surge on a 1.

My group's sorcerer just got a lot more dangerous to be around...
>>
>>48169302
Seriously, learn to read.

He clearly doesn't have a flavor problem with psionics. He didn't like the mechanics for it in ad&d, but he used it in his own game just fine.
>>
>>48176599
That is why I always try to stay at least 30 ft away from any of my allies.
>>
>>48176599

Yep, we thought the same for a while too. Wild Magic is so wild that it rewrites its own abilities!

Just kidding.
>>
>>48176612
Technically, you'll want to stay 60' feet away...
>>
>>48176695
That is not viable in most situations though. 30' is doable and gets them out of several of the effects
>>
>>48176734
Between 20 and 30' is best. Protects you from fireball/grease but keeps you in range of the good stuff, like flight and AoE invisibility.
>>
>>48176130
I know that feel
>My moon druid just hit level 3
>I am running around as a big ass wolf dropping flaming spheres
>Rest of the party is mopping up after me
Goddamn I know this power will only last a couple more levels before it evens out but I feel like a monster
>>
>>48176781
You can't cast spells while Wild Shaped until 18th level dude.
>>
>>48176930
I cast it and then wild shape you dunce. You can still use the special commands of spells you are concentrating on while wildshaped
>>
File: chx-dm5095.jpg (412 KB, 900x599) Image search: [Google]
chx-dm5095.jpg
412 KB, 900x599
Has anyone used 13th Age's escalation die mechanic in 5e yet? If so, how did it work out, and what did it add to the game? Was it a hassle that the DM dropped after a couple battles, or was it fun and interesting?
>>
>>48177023
....and wild shape doesn't break your concentration how?
>>
>>48177038
Because it doesnt as per the fucking wildshape entry. Its one of the bullet points
>>
>>48177038
How would it?
>>
>>48175220
yes, but I don't think your illusion died within the time frame to use revivify, since it was dead since always. Just use true polymorph like the rest of us, and stop trying to involve the cleric/paladin in your sexual fantasies.
>>
>>48177034
It's far too much of a bonus for the reduced AC and hit bonuses of 5th edtion.
>>
>>48177160
Good to know, thanks. I figured it would conflict with bounded accuracy.
>>
>>48177189
It's potentially twice the bonus of the most powerful magic weapons, and equivalent to the proficiency bonus of a max level character.

The only way you'd be able to work it in is to give all the monsters an across the board AC bonus of some sort. Unless you want the game to be the PC's hitting everything constantly. Which is ok for some.
>>
>>48177038
consensual shapeshifting never breaks concentration.
>>
>>48174301
Maybe something along the lines of "I loved your performance in (place)!" but its a place that is inconceivable anyone saw them perform, or else is somewhere they did perform until the letter trails off giving advice for (encounter that happened near there with no witnesses)
>>
>>48175273
A good mixture of originality and clichés. I like it

Quick question:
What's a good underground creature prone to disturb not-so-deep mining (there's the SEA nearby) to throw at four lvl1s ? I'd like to avoid goblins and to surprise em a bit. Maybe with a twist surprise! It's black pudding all the way down!

I thought of Umber Hulk cuz i love them but i wanna keep em for something special. Plus, not deep enough.
>>
My party consists of 5 level 7 players (all with good stats), and 2 level-1 NPCs they recently picked up.

According to an online calculator, throwing 20 panthers at them should be a "hard" fight, but not deadly. Does this seem reasonable, or do the rules break a bit when they're fighting that many things?

I basically decided to make tonight's session a giant combat gauntlet as they try to escape a jungle and warn a city about an impending Yuan-ti invasion.
>>
>>48178407
When you're throwing large numbers of mooks at a party, you really want mooks with ranged attacks. Creatures who can only make melee attacks will be much less effective than their CR would suggest, as they can't close distance before being killed and get in the way of each other's attacks.
>>
>>48169235
Dude, slavery as a punishment is arguably more just than prison, and it's an outright mercy compared to execution, if it's regulated properly.

Slavery =/= chattel slavery, that meme needs to die.
>>
>>48178553
How is being forced to work for free for another person, on pain of death or physical torture, any better than some time in a jail cell?
>>
>>48178659
Don't respond to the bait. Clearly that anon has a private definition of "slavery" that is not worth parsing out.
>>
>>48173119
It's talking about dick size not height
>>
>>48178692
>Gnomes with 4' long cocks

I know what my next magical realm will be populated by.
>>
>>48178659
you need to use a system that eventually allows them to go free.
Brandon Sanderson's newer series, "The Stormlight Archive," pays their slaves a wage and eventually allows them to buy their way out. That series actually has a really good social class controversy going on.
>>
>>48168281
Would it be worth it/easy to convert Curse of Strahd for a group that's went from level 1-5 already in a completely different world?

Our DMs sort of burning out of ideas right now past the overarching plot and having something preset to work off of would do him a lot of use, but if it does require a lot of changing up then it'll just be replacing one problem with another.
>>
>>48178659
I would rather work the rest of my life for someone than be locked up with a bunch of other assholes.

Maybe I am just weird?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 35

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.