[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there a good rules-lite system for running a Silent Hill game?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4
File: Sh_downpour_screen_120303_05.jpg (591 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
Sh_downpour_screen_120303_05.jpg
591 KB, 2560x1440
Is there a good rules-lite system for running a Silent Hill game? I'm just crazy and depressed enough to run a good Silent Hill game. If any of you guys remember me from a long time ago, I ran Suicide Quest.
>>
>>48050838
Don't Rest Your Head.
>>
>>48050859
Pros and cons of this?
>>
>>48050838
GURPS.
>>
>>48050838

Tremulous, perhaps? Rules light, focused on vaguely Lovecraftian horror, and I hear it's pretty good at what it does.
>>
File: Look mom!.jpg (84 KB, 533x700) Image search: [Google]
Look mom!.jpg
84 KB, 533x700
>>48051126
>>
File: CherylHarry.png (1 MB, 1305x815) Image search: [Google]
CherylHarry.png
1 MB, 1305x815
>>48050838

Fate's not a bad one if you really want to involve the players in crafting their own little tormented psychs. And since it's low-lethality, odds are slim you'll wind up killing any characters before you get to wrap up their narratives.

However, you'll need a good amount of homebrewing if you really want to incorporate things like draining sanity.

WoD's also a decent choice. It's not totally "rules-lite" but it is one of the easiest systems I've ever had to learn. Big drawback though is it's a dicepool system so I hope you like your players rolling a dozen d10s each.
>>
>>48050838
Dread
>>
>>48050838
SH needs a lot of structure. It's basically a really long setup for a cruel punch line. The pacing, the creatures, the clues, it's all one whole. It is not made for roleplaying. Definitely not made for a party of characters freely making their own decisions.

You can maybe capture the flavors or copy some creatures, but that which makes SH great won't translate to the game table.

>>48051080
DRYH is one of the best made games you will ever find. There's no point in explaining it, you have to play it.
It's all about the PCs. They are generated by answering 5 precise questions. Every scene played is focused on one PC. Everything about the scene directly draws on that PC background. Usually there's one roll per scene. Scenes can be flashbacks, there is no playing order. It can get pretty Dadaist roleplaying. But it always maintains a high pace.

The GM can't prep a lot as everything depends on the players. The basic premise is a reluctant supers game with gritty and dark flavors. The setting is functional and kind of cool, but it definitely needs work to make it vivid. As is the NPCs are best left far in the background with their cartoonish reduction to 50s tropes. But the Mad City gives license to explore anachronistic urban dissonance on any level and can be a powerful tool.

>>48051399
Fate and gritty is a big problem. Players would have to play against their characters, use their creativity to hurt their own avatar. It isn't intuitive at all.

Keep it simple. Use Dead of Night, Dread, or Cthulhu Dark. If you want a full fledged system go with Nemesis or CoC7. But I think that would be more trouble than it's worth.
>>
One of the Fate settings is literally SH: The Room.
Also there was a nWoD fansplat for Silent Hill in general.
>>
Over The Edge / WaRP.
>>
File: image.jpg (180 KB, 750x1334) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
180 KB, 750x1334
A character sheet is literally
>Name
>How you got here
>Secrets
>Goals
>Reaction boxes (which there are three of)
And roll dice. The only other mechanics are hope and pain coins.
>>
>>48050838
>I'm just crazy and depressed enough to run a good Silent Hill game.
Feeling edgy really isn't a solid base for making something like Silent Hill.
>I ran Suicide Quest.
All QMs are attention whores.

This isn't gonna go anywhere.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.