[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
whats a good beginner-friendly super hero system that has an
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: 176844331.png (325 KB, 382x417) Image search: [Google]
176844331.png
325 KB, 382x417
whats a good beginner-friendly super hero system that has an amount of rules around 5e d&d?
>>
>>47985893
Mutants and Masterminds is generally acknowledged as one of the better superhero systems. I've heard it needs the GM and players to communicate pretty well though.
>>
>>47985918
It does because unless if the GM says no, you can do pretty much anything with it.
>>
>>47985922
Yeah. You should at least run ideas by your GM. It's simple as "Hey, you don't plan on time travel being a thing here, do you?"

"Nah, Craig."

"Alright, I guess I'll go with my other idea, how about a villain who can mind control anyone wearing a fursuit or-"

"No."
>>
>>47985948

It's always the Craigs, man.

OP, I hear good stuff about Wild Talents.
>>
>>47985893
brave new world rpg
real simple to learn and play
low key super hero rpg, simple to scale up, stack power packages!

warning: ban bargainers, they be OP
>>
>>47985918
this one sounds good, especially the versatility

>>47985962
i will take a look into this

>>47985982
thanks, ill have to check with my group to see if this is a style they are interested in
>>
>>47985893
Well if you're trying to introduce your D&D crowd to superhero, Mutants and Masterminds will greet them with semi-familiar action round structure and d20+modifiers rolls.

You could run them through quickstart character generation from Gamemaster Kit to make characters on the spot and drop them down into introductory heroics very very fast.

The way GM kit works is that you pick (or roll d20 for if you want a surprise) one of 20 archetyps which includes thing like
>powerhouse, your regular tough guy
>paragon, a flying brick a-la superman
>wizard with all the wizardy stuff
>caped crimefighter a-la batman
>animalistic super
>battlesuit a-la iron man
>kung-fuist or weapon master
>energy-type controller
then go down options for thematic ability and advantage packages, picking specific power options and subtypes within your broad archetype (i.e. is your weaponmaster a swordsman or bowman) and so on.

There's also two books of statblocks for DC universe characters, portion of which are statted at standard starting level.
>>
>>47986695
Oops almost forgot
Here's a dump of a handful of systems including M&M
http://pastebin.com/bkpp0z2t
>>
File: handout.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
handout.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>47985893

Marvel Heroic Roleplaying is extremely simple, versatile, and fun. Unfortunately, the book does a terrible job explaining the system. Here's my handout that I gave to players, really helped.
>>
File: Watcher reference.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Watcher reference.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>47986966

And here's the paper I kept with me to remember the stuff I have to do. Those two papers, plus what's written on the character sheet, contain literally everything you need to run the game.
>>
>>47986975

I just realized that the 'moves' section there is stolen from Apocalypse World, and only really there to spark ideas at the table. It's not actually a rule in the game.
>>
>>47987328
Speaking of *World games, there's a pretty good one for superheroing around called Worlds in Peril.
>>
>>47985893
Mutants & Masterminds 3E. You can build any character you can think of, and just about all of them will fit neatly on a sheet of wide-ruled paper with room to spare.
>>
You won't believe me, but D&D 5e
Or FantasyCraft
>>
>>47990369
I don't want to be a dick but 5e is not really good for superhero games and FantasyCraft I do not know enough to decide, but considering it's sort of a fixed 3rd edition, I'm pretty sure it's more complicated.

>>47985893
Gonna throw out a recommendation for Strike!
>>
>>47986701
oh thanks these will be useful
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.