[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/5eg/ Fifth Edition General: Non-standard Race/Class Combo Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 32
File: Halfling Illusionist.jpg (77 KB, 741x1200) Image search: [Google]
Halfling Illusionist.jpg
77 KB, 741x1200
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>June 2016 Survey
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/june-2016-dd-survey

What sort of interesting race/class/multiclass combinations do you like to play? Not strictly power game stuff, but things like a half-orc Arcane Trickster or pic related.
>>
>>47944337
By your logic, a CR1 encounter is just as risky as a CR20 encounter. You're so easy to defeat in argument, god damn, stop embarrassing yourself, pumpkin.
>>
>>47944376
Orbs are the best arcane focuses. Prove me wrong.
>>
File: Owl Knight.png (370 KB, 502x1200) Image search: [Google]
Owl Knight.png
370 KB, 502x1200
>>47944480
It depends. I've had a house rule staves can be treated as a quarter staff, so they offer that utility. Wands can also be concealed. Orbs aren't particularly concealable, and don't make sense to use as an actual weapon.
>>
File: 5e_Build_Rogue_Stealth_Max_img.png (13 KB, 733x435) Image search: [Google]
5e_Build_Rogue_Stealth_Max_img.png
13 KB, 733x435
>>47944376
Earth genasi assassin.

>>47944480
>Orbs are the best arcane focuses
You incorrectly pluralized "focus".

Also they are unwieldy and not easy to grasp. They can also roll away if there's an incline.
>>
>>47944480
Orbs seem a bit cumbersome, especially if they're the larger-than-palm-sized "crystal ball" type. I think wands and staffs are both great, personally, very flavorful and functional.
>>
>>47944506
Is that staves thing a house rule? I thought it was RAI
>>
>>47944464
>being this mad you double post to continue the argument in a new thread
not that guy but lel
>>
File: Sol Manticus 5.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Sol Manticus 5.pdf
1 B, 486x500
First session of a new campaign tonight--bringing a pathfinder character of mine into 5e, since the new game takes place in the same setting.

Any thoughts on stats/skills/whatever? Supposed to be an apollo analogue kinda character, who may end up a son/avatar/chosen of lathander. Want to strike a balance between min-maxing and being ineffective.
>>
Does anyone know if there are rules for cold iron weapons and where I can find them? I'm sure they exist but all I can find is that it's 100gp for a silvered weapon
>>
>>47944554
Not a thing, for some reason. Kind of sad that it's gone.
>>
>>47944506
>>47944528
RAW Staves can be used as a quarterstaff. Says so right in the equipment entry
>>
>>47944464
Okay to explain myself:
Getting in trouble with the missus? Minor risk
Losing some money? Minor risk
Getting killed? Major risk

You follow me?

But hey, whatever dude, just glad I'll never have to play with you, have a nice life
>>
>>47944538
Sad, sad little samefag. Truly pathetic.
>>
>>47944554
>>47944566
The stupidity that was cold iron is gone, thank god.

Protip: "cold iron" is just a poetic way of saying iron. It's not a different substance, it's not a specific kind of iron, it's literally just iron.
>>
>>47944599
it's a game of pretend mate having a fey killing sword is fun
>>
>>47944595
You need to stop posting. Go lie down, maybe make yourself a nice cup of tea or something.
>>
>>47944595
>"samefag"
>doesn't even link any other posts so I can shop out "(You)"'s
(You) had one job
>>
>>47944585
>fighting a goblin?
major risk because you might die

>fighting a dragon?

>fighting twenty dragons?

I guess everything is a major risk. Missus might become hostile and slit your throat with a kitchen knife. Major risk because you might die.

Losing some money? What?
>"Go lose some money, [NPC]"
>"That's a minor risk... you're gonna have to persuade me."

You follow me?
>>
>>47944639
No, he pretty clearly means losing money as in "here's a bet with odds that aren't in your favour but a large gain if you win" or something like that
>>
File: wat.gif (915 KB, 255x164) Image search: [Google]
wat.gif
915 KB, 255x164
At some point during their adventure tonight, the party is going to be infected by an ancient artifact that will slowly turn them evil. They will then go on a quest into the temple the artifact is from in an attempt to destroy it.

How can I make the evil seem to slowly corrupt them, without doing something retarded like "WIS save or you attack a party member in anger?" Or is the WIS throw idea not terrible?

The temple itself is a temple dedicated to corruption, which used to follow a long-dead God. It's full of water and streams because the worshipers used erosion as a metaphor for how the world slowly corrupts the pure, so aesthetic-wise, I think it's pretty creepy. I just want to take that to the next level.

What are some good ways of doing that?
>>
>>47944624
You're right I think I'm going to go outside to enjoy the nice weather and play violin.

PS: 5e performing with a stringed instrument is a dex still, not a charisma skill
>>
>>47944658
Or like 'can we borrow your cart to go hunt down this monster?'

The cart costs money, not a lot, but there's a chance it might get destroyed.

Of course, if they just paid someone for it, then the issue isn't there, and they don't need to persuade them.

So the solution is to offer the giant owl more than just a kind word in order to make the significant risk less significant.
>>
>>47944661
No, playing an instrument is Dex. Putting on a performance is Cha.
There's a difference that's hard to put into words but easy to understand
>>
>>47944660
Passing notes that are only sometimes truthful and sowing dissent is always good.
>give the rogue player a note that says "read this, pretend to write a reply then pass it back"
>give another player a note that says "the rogue is planning to sneak attack you"
stuff like that
>>
Rolled 1 (1d20)

>>47944658
"Hey guy, here's a bet with odds that aren't in your favour but a large gain if you win"

Very persuasive... minor risk, let's give that a DC10 persuasion roll.
>>
>>47944720
lel
>>
>>47944618
>fey killing sword
Yeah, and we still have those. They're called swords. You kill fey with them.

Giving lots of different creatures their own werewolf-like weakness just pointlessly makes the game more convoluted and makes werewolves less unique. It's an especially stupid thing to do when you have to invent a ridiculous new type of metal because you can't just follow the actually myth, no, you have have to make it more stupid. We do not need an endless list of magic shit to make swords out of. Every new material like that you add to the game makes the game more convoluted and the materials less special.
>>
>>47944704
You shouldn't pass a note that says 'the rogue is planning to sneak attack you'

It should say 'you notice the rogue has been positioned behind you for a while now'

It should be stuff that causes paranoia, but outright lies to try and start a fight is a step too far.
>>
>>47944573
Well, sweet then. I couldn't remember seeing it written anywhere, but it just seemed to make sense. Makes multiclassing into monk as a caster that much more fun.
>>
>>47944780
yeah you're more tactful than me (I'm bad at this stuff so I don't do it)
nice advice though
>>
>>47944799
the only negative i can think of is that most staves are magic weapons, AND have a picture in their related books
and most of them are entirely made of metal/stone/bone

its not like it would come up, but RAW you could shalallliey most of the time(they arnt all described physically), but RAI you couldn't
>>
>>47944376

A fighter/rogue based around grappling can be devastating. Walk over, grapple them, use shield master's feature to shove them to the ground, then let the pain begin
>>
File: Kitsune_5e_Race_(9284824).pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Kitsune_5e_Race_(9284824).pdf
1 B, 486x500
One of my players wants to play as the lemur from Zooboomafoo or something.

What's the best way of doing this without going druid or using kitsune homebrew considering most of them revolve around multiple tails or are broken like this one?
>>
>>47944780
This.
>"You notice the rogue reaching for your coin purse"
>"You notice the cleric's holy symbol has started to crumble, revealing what seems to be [icon of treacherous evil god] beneath."
>"As the barbarian chews on his rations, you could swear you saw a human finger amidst the various meats."
>"The entire party lights up from the Paladin's Detect Evil"
And don't just turn them against eachother:
>To the rogue or other typically low-will cowardly PC: "You keep seeing movement out of the corner of your eye. You have to wonder if you're being paid enough to go to a place like this."
>To the brute strength PC: "You're not sure if it's the influence of the temple, or if you just didn't notice until now, but [least physically strong PC] seems even more weak and sickly than usual. They don't belong here. Would your old clan/comrades allow someone like them to share in their glory?"
Y'know, tailor it to the vices of each PC.

Also maybe have a thing where the party passes through several pools of progressively murkier and more polluted water, just to strengthen the water/erosion theme.
>>
Is there a 4e Trove around? I know this is 5e general, but its D&D anyway.
>>
>>47944517
>earth genasi assassin
are you me?
I usually do that as a monk, the thought of a man killed with stone fists is somewhat ominous
>>
>>47944941
>
Also maybe have a thing where the party passes through several pools of progressively murkier and more polluted water, just to strengthen the water/erosion theme.

Oh fuck yeah, I'm using that. Thanks!
>>
File: 5e_PHB_Feats_Charger.png (394 KB, 567x308) Image search: [Google]
5e_PHB_Feats_Charger.png
394 KB, 567x308
In instances where the rule calls for "a +x bonus to the attack's damage roll", where x is a discrete integer, as in the Charger feat for example, does that extra damage get added again if the attack roll is a crit?

Because it says that the bonus is added to the damage roll. So if you repeat all your rolls to determine the damage of a crit, then repeating that roll would entail adding the bonus. Is this the case?

Greentext because I think it sounds confusing:
>roll a natural 20 on your charger attack with a greataxe and 20str
>charger dictates that the damage roll has a bonus +5
>crit dictates that you roll all of the attack's damage dice twice and add them together then add relevant mods
>roll 1d12+5 as per charger
>roll 1d12+5 as per charger
>add +5 from str

Compare this to Great Weapon Master, which says "you add +10 to the attack's damage".
>>
>>47944992
Just had a better idea; have two pools of water - one perfectly clear, the other utterly rancid though not necessarily toxic, maybe it's just full of blood or something. By underwater tunnels, they both lead to the same destination, but the pure water tunnel is twisted and confusing with many dead ends, whereas the blood tunnel is a straight line to the end in only a few yards thanks to space bending magic. Reinforce the theme of doing small evils for the sake of a greater good or purpose. Then make those small evils progressively less small.
>>
>>47945018
Even if you roll all the damage dice twice, that's still one "damage roll." So no, you get the +5 once only.
>>
En5ider anon here, updated my mega with all of the new ones. For the uninformed, these are basically professionally-created homebrew.

https://mega.nz/#F!rAoGFBBJ!7oaBSiTtMQl5uDnevTEzHw

Looking for the Frog God PDFs of Quests of Doom 3, Chuck's Dragons, Rogues in Remballo, and The Lost Lands.

Here's all the Frog God stuff I have:

https://mega.nz/#F!TUJwTZgY!XaKAS9xK0QDkYuGualBs_w
>>
>>47944889

Jesus christ what a train wreck. I kept thinking "well that's a little dumb but i bet it could work out easily with a few minor fixes" but then it was just more and more and more. god damn. It's one of those things that could work if it was toned down a bit.
>>
>>47944889
Rule that he was hit by a true polymorph, from an ancient magic trap or something. Then have him take monk to bounce around.
>>
>>47944376
First 5E character I played was a High Elf Fighter (champion) which raised some eyebrows. Funnily enough it was the only one to survive the entirety of the Starter Adventure.

Next character I play is going to be a Rock Gnome Fey Warlock
>>
>>47944376
I've been considering using a human with a single level in GOO Warlock to represent a Kalashtar, or someone with minor psionic talents.
>>
Is there any way to take advantage of the Aarakocra's racial 1d4 unarmed strikes? I know monks can do unarmed strike bonus action shit, but they get 1d4 unarmed upgrade from their class. Seems super situational (you lost your weapon and you need to fight unarmed for example).
>>
>>47945844
You said it yourself, you lost a weapon and need to fight unarmed.

Aarakocra get a big bonus in their flight already, so their other features are basically just flavor.
>>
File: Character creation list.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Character creation list.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>
>>47946034
thanks m8
>>
>>47945253
Thanks for your hard work anon.
>>
Will there be any books in the works for Eberron or Dark Sun? I've been out of the loop for awhile.
>>
Can anyone give an example of an epic level monster in 5e ? no homebrew or conversions plz
>>
>>47944376
>What sort of interesting race/class/multiclass combinations do you like to play?
pixie barbarian
>>
DM here, newfag to 5e. Can someone highlight the flaws and things to look out for in this edition? I want to make sure I put on a good show for my players.
>>
File: 2090-6521-26616.jpg (14 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
2090-6521-26616.jpg
14 KB, 320x240
>>47944977
>>
Does anyone actually use Fantasy Grounds for this game?
>>
>>47945894
Yeah, I guess you're right. If you really want the racial 1d4 unarmed strikes, you'd take Variant Human with Tavern Brawler and start with 16 or 17 Strength.
>>
>>47946281
Tiamat
>>
>>4794281
"Epic levels" aren't a thing in 5e. If you mean above and beyond a challenge for level 20 characters:
- Tarrasque
- Kraken
- Any of the ancient dragons
- Demon lords from OotA

And a few others.

>>47946280
Eberron is in the works, Dark Sun is inevitable due its polling popularity. Not even Wizards could say when such books will be released.
>>
>>47946330
Pros:
>System is rather easy and there are no real trap options. Character building is easy.
>The Background / Bond system is very nice and helps roleplaying.
>Proficiency Bonus is a nice system.
>Super streamlined. There are almost no modifiers to attacks outside ability scores and proficiency bonus.
>Bounded AC / Accuracy. Your Fighter might start with 18ish AC at most and it won't go much higher than 20. Same with hit bonuses. The highest CR monster (Tarrasque) has 25AC.
>Classes are somewhat balanced for once. >Magic isn't super OP anymore for the most part.
>Everyone can move and do all their attacks in the same turn.
>By default most classes don't get more than 1 or 2 attacks per round.

Con:
>No more 5ft step.
>No more AoO's on spellcasters.
>Very low customizability.
>Dual-wielding is still bad.
>You have to choose between feats and ability score increases at every 4th level.
>Some feats are shit, some are pretty much must-have's. So there's still some system mastery there. Might be a Pro?
>>
>>47946641
The only trap option is ranger pretty much. Beastmaster in particular.
>>
>>47944376
>Not strictly power game stuff, but things like a half-orc Arcane Trickster or pic related.
I want to make a joke about it, but all I've got so far is something about illusionists and "hips don't lie".

Anyhow, I'm working on a half-orc bard, because I've got a concept I think would be fun.
>>
Thinking about writing up a D&D Western setting. I made some halfhearted attempts to make it work in Eberron (cannibal halflings riding raptors are great) but I think making everything work with a frontier vibe needs some worldbuilding.
>>
File: 5e_PHB_Weapons_Net.png (259 KB, 439x251) Image search: [Google]
5e_PHB_Weapons_Net.png
259 KB, 439x251
Using a net and using other attacks in the same turn:
>use action surge
>use haste
are the obvious ones...

I have a couple more (one of which is pretty good):
>dual wield net and hand crossbow: throw net and fire hand crossbow as a bonus action (bonus: if you do this at 5feet range, you don't get disadvantage on either attack)
>swift quiver: put your net in a quiver and cast this spell on them to get a single bonus action net throw each turn while the spell is active

Do you know of any other ways?

Another fun fact, nets can proc sneak attack and sharpshooter power attack
>>
File: 5e_PHB_Feats_Crossbow-Expert.png (271 KB, 445x246) Image search: [Google]
5e_PHB_Feats_Crossbow-Expert.png
271 KB, 445x246
>>47946817
Oops. Meant to include in the net/handcrossbow method that you need crossbow expert.
>>
>>47946817
RAW I think it means you can only "swing" the net once.

If I was a smartass rogue I'd be dual wielding a net and a rapier all day long.
>>
>>47946855
Two-weapon fighting doesn't function with the net.

>any reasonable dm would allow it
I know, but I'm just theorycrafting and I want to use RAW
>>
File: More Feats.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
More Feats.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>47946817
>Do you know of any other ways?
this homebrew i made
r8 h8 apprecia8
>>
>>47946688

Halfling Ranger with a bow riding on its companion might be decent?
>>
>>47944799
Even if staves don't have anything in their description saying they can be used as a quarterstaff, the rules for improvised weapons specifically say that if it looks like a weapon that already exists, it has the stats of that weapon. If your DM tries to tell you that a staff isn't similar enough to a quarterstaff to invoke that rule, then you need to get a new DM.
>>
>>47946641

>>Magic isn't super OP anymore for the most part.

Forcecaging martials says 'Hi'.

Also i'd argue the Advantage/Disadvantage system is a huge con given how much it modifies the total results. There is a reason why Witches are busted in PF, and Avengers were a constant mutlicalss in 4e.
>>
File: 5e_PHB_Feats_Grappler.png (354 KB, 474x484) Image search: [Google]
5e_PHB_Feats_Grappler.png
354 KB, 474x484
>Grappler feat
>use your action to attempt to restrain yourself and the target

>constrictor snake (CR1/4)
>druid can autograpple and autorestrain targets on a bite at level one

Why is this feat so bad.
>>
>>47947240
It's definitely the worst feat in the game. A better grappler feat and a feat for throwing weapons would be really nice though
>>
File: why.jpg (62 KB, 960x600) Image search: [Google]
why.jpg
62 KB, 960x600
>the only reliable ways to apply the poisoned status effect is a sorcerer/wizard's ray of sickness or animal bites, because every other source of poison is just poison damage
>>
>>47947295
Just get some drow poison.
>>
>>47947196
>oh look anon's being a faggot, its probably a Concentration sp-
>NOPE

What the fuck
>>
>>47947116
Pinning people with thrown weapons is too damn good and easy.
Fight Club sucks ass, almost as much as using bludgeoning weapons in the first place.
TGWIOW is better than most vanilla feats, or even two of them. An instant unarmed upgrade, +1 AC, reaction attacks, and a maneuver that does base 4d6 damage and blinds or deafens?
>>
>>47944376
The character I am currently playing is a dragonborn wizard. All I wanted to do was be a lizard wizard.
>>
>>47947341
It's a 1/day spell that requires level 13+ and 1500 gp worth of materials every cast.
Since you can't cast through it, it's the ULTIMATE STALLING TOOL, which for a level 7 slot and 1500 gp it better be.
>>
File: 5e_EE_Spells_Wizard_Portrait.png (145 KB, 270x294) Image search: [Google]
5e_EE_Spells_Wizard_Portrait.png
145 KB, 270x294
>>47947116
Firstly the syntax is pretty shit, but its not like it needs to be super tight because it's homebrew.

DTWS*
>Any time you have advantage on an attack, you may ricochet a thrown weapon from one enemy to an enemy adjacent to them.

>In liu (sic: were you thinking of Amai Liu? Shame, anon, shame) of making an attack, you can instead pin an enemy to the ground or the wall blah blah blah
Suspension of disbelief with this is too much. What if the wall is made of stone? What if the creature is wearing plate armor? What if the creature is formless (I know you didn't mean for this benefit to work on formless creatures but you'll want to put clauses in for shit like that). Scrap it.

>As a bonus action you can make a trick shot. Roll a die the size of the number in the ones place of your dex score and add that number to your next attack roll with a thrown weapon.
That sentence gave me brain cancer.
Pic related, mfw reading that.
>>
>>47947364
>Fight Club sucks ass, almost as much as using bludgeoning weapons in the first place.
oh yeah i forgot i didn't finish that one. idk what to do for it.
and yeah tgwiow i made as kind of a joke, but i like the idea of it so i need to balance it. actually i started out making all of these as a joke and got more serious as time went on...
what the fuck should clubs get? i want to have some way for them to do one huge club hit or something. i might just give it great weapon master but for all club weapons listed instead of just for heavy weapons idk.
i started writing one that let you "smite" using any extra attacks you had for one big hit instead of many smaller ones, but that was really convoluted to write out and hard to balance so i scrapped that.
>>
>>47947171
companion as mount is really the best fix, but that clearly is a specialized bandaid for the class
>>
>>47947414
>pic
fair enough lol. i'm not by any means done with that pdf (ie club feat isn't even anything yet), just throwing out there the trident/net combo at the end. which i guess i could of explained in my original post but............
thrown weapons i feel like need gimmicks, not improved power, so i was trying to work on that.
and obviously i meant in lieu, just a typo.
>>
>>47947364
>>47947414
oh but also thanks for the critique
>>
Yo. Shadowcaster homebrew here.

Changed the spell progression back to the 3.5 version where the class got uses per spell per day, Improved the Master of shadows archetype and shadow servant to acceptable levels so it isnt a straight copy of the beast master, and cleaned up the shadowblade entry for less confusion.

Any ideas for mysteries I should add? General critique and feedback would be greatly apprecieated.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/10ORCC8IwwqgTv6kSy-wnGgfkegEYejOke9OwGnsN16c/edit?usp=sharing
>>
>>47947471
Clubs get +2 to attack and damage rolls if the target is wearing medium or heavy armor. Other stuff too, but that's all I can think of for now.
you're welcome.
>>
>>47947341
>>47947390

You're upset about Forcecage but not my assertions about Advantage/Disadvantage being bad?
>>
>>47947515
Seems like okay changes. I really like some of the new cantrips.

Some more Mysteries that give extra uses of spells like that one for Darkness could be good. Maybe look at utility spells like Phantom Steed but I'm not sure if they'd fit.

Some more Mysteries for Arrow of Dusk wouldn't go amiss. Maybe one to have it Blind the target temporarily if they fail a save, or one that adds to the damage if you use it on someone you're hidden from?
>>
>>47947439

It is, but I've always been enchanted by the idea of rough riding halfling marksmen who put the fear of smallfolk into the bigger races.
>>
>>47947644
added an automatic crit on surprised for arrow of dusk cantrip, but worried it might be too powerful considering how easily this class can surprise its targets.

Phantom steed is a good idea, as would rope trick and the like. Wondering if giving them access to rituals like the warlock would be overpowered. My gut says probably.
>>
Is Charger a good feat for rogues?
>>
So I'm converting an Athasian Nightmare Beast from 3.x to 5e, and it has DR 15/epic. How I'm supposed to convert that ?

>Damage Resistances Bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from non epic weapons
>>
>>47947709
Ask your DM if 10ft of movement can be vertical as well as horizontal and become a parkouring assassin, dropping down on targets from above and breaking their necks with the force of your blades.
>>
>>47947746
>How I'm supposed to convert that ?
Resistance to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage from non-magical attacks. Epic weapons are not a thing in 5e, and they shouldn't be. Just give it more HP/higher AC as befits it.
>>
>>47947709
no its pointless
you have cunning action when would you ever need charger? 5 damage falls off fast once you stack up a few sneak attack dice.
>>
>>47947695
Automatic Crit seems rather strong, especially since it's triple damage on that cantrip. I'm not sure what would be a good alternative though. Maybe have it add a modifier as damage? Or make it so you can re-roll 1s on the damage dice to make it the results more reliable.
>>
>>47947776
That's what I was thinking.

>"oh it would work well because they can cunning action dash.... but wait a minute, that might be exactly why is isn't useful for them."

>>47947755
It just says in a straight line, it doesn't matter the orientation.
>>
>>47947805
>>>47947776 (You)
>That's what I was thinking.
>>"oh it would work well because they can cunning action dash.... but wait a minute, that might be exactly why is isn't useful for them."
yeah its better to just take something else. i took skilled so far on my level 4 rogue. level 8 idk probably skulker or +2 dex or something. maybe mobile.
>>
>>47947787
Rerolling ones sounds good. Thank your for the suggestion.
>>
>>47947825
Why did you take skilled at level 4? Why did you take skilled, period? You're only going to use the skills you have expertise in anyway.
>>
>>47947836
Yeah. There's just not that many ways to add bonuses to a surprise round attack, since you're already getting advantage.

You might consider adding something that allows the Shadowcaster to not re-roll if they have advantage in exchange for some sort of bonus.
>>
>>47947787
>>47947915
How OP would not requiring concentration on a low level spell be?

I imagine it would depend on the spell, but as a general rule of thumb, is it too much?
>>
>>47946330
"Natural Language" Be prepared to have to stop and make a ruling over every little thing because of subtle differences in sentences that might change the meaning or usefulness of a given ability or action.

Encounter balance is fucked if you care about that.

Levels 1-3 are "Turnip Truck" levels where your characters can barely wipe their ass.

Skill use is very random.
>>
>>47947938
Probably too much. At best, you could give them advantage on concentration checks for it, or allow them to concentrate on it and another spell at the same time, but flat out ignoring it is a huge bonus.
>>
>>47947972
Hm.. damn. I already had some thoughts about giving advantage in concentration but wanted to be able to concentrate on more than one spell at a time, so ill just do that.
>>
>>47947943

So start at level 3 like I always do, and slap down stupid shit which I always HAD to do with every edition except 4e so nothing new there.
>>
File: WizardPreparesForcecage.jpg (91 KB, 736x736) Image search: [Google]
WizardPreparesForcecage.jpg
91 KB, 736x736
>>47947390
Casting Forcecage doesn't consume the ruby dust.
>>
>>47948082
That is extremely strong. Tread wisely.
>>
How would an LG mercenary paladin of vengeance view life and the world? Is he even possible?
>>
>>47948205
its limited to a single spell of 3rd level or lower, and requires a mystery. Ill have to keep it in mind when converting the spells, for certain.
>>
File: Mhm.jpg (7 KB, 192x262) Image search: [Google]
Mhm.jpg
7 KB, 192x262
>>47944480
>He doesn't wear his Crystal arcane focus as a fashionable necklace
>>
>>47948345
I'd go even lower, keep it at first level. If it's 3rd or 2nd level, that means you get Invisible Flying shadowcasters.
>>
>>47948402
fly isnt a spell for them, nor is invisibility.
>>
File: 5e_OotA_Weapons_Derro-Weapons.png (502 KB, 547x477) Image search: [Google]
5e_OotA_Weapons_Derro-Weapons.png
502 KB, 547x477
>PHB weapons table
>OotA derro weapons

Are there any other WotC published mundane weapons?
>>
Rogue/Druid
Worst multiclass ever? (wildshape attacks can't proc sneak attack)
>>
>>47948549
>Not wildshaping into a bird to infiltrate locations and spy on targets
>Not using spellcasting to help survive in the wilderness
>>
>>47948597
>infiltrate locations and spy on targets
I wish D&D could be that intricate, but honestly, that would fucking never come up. I guess you could force the DM to come up with some vague schedule for someone you want to kill but it will mean jackshit anyway.
>"Uh, sure, he has lunch every weekday at Tavern A and he visits his mistress at House A every monday... or whatever..."
>>
So why do we have two threads with 100-200 posts each?
>>
>>47948874
Gee Bill, why does your mod let you have TWO threads?
>>
>>47948874
because OP gets closer to cumming with each and every (You) he gets
>>
>>47944480
I would not call them the best, but I love that my necromancer wizard got a orb of the warmage +1 that captures the souls of those slain by my magic. It's nice combat wise and fun flavor wise.

The best arcane focus is probably the staff of the archmage.
>>
>be conjuration wizard
>use minor conjuration to make an infinite charge wand of wish
Fucking casters....
>>
>>47946893
bump, pls answer
>>
>>47944660
>How can I make the evil seem to slowly corrupt them, without doing something retarded like "WIS save or you attack a party member in anger?"

may be hard to do but try making "evil" choices progressively easier/more seductive

>sudden commotion causes cop to excuse himself while saying you are free to go, seems he left his badge on the table.

>captured enemy informant, no one is around, and this deep in the cave no one would be able to hear either of you anyhow

>beggar noticed you leaving mayor's house in the middle of the night, no one else is around...
>>
>>47947390
>Since you can't cast through it, it's the ULTIMATE STALLING TOOL
If you do the 20 foot cube made of 1/2 inch bars, and not solid panes, you can still cast into it... and any martial you trap inside still has zero chance of getting out.

I don't think one spell means that casters are still supreme in 5e, it's much better balanced now, but there are still certain problem spells. Forcecage is one of them. I give anyone in the area a Dexterity save to leap out in time, being moved to just outside the cage's area on a success.
>>
>>47949022
I am positive that would not work.

You could, however, create a "magic trinket" and sell it to a rich but naive noble of some large town for a considerably high price, then ditch town before he realizes he has been duped. High charisma and deception proficiency and possibly the charlatan background and you'd be good to play a magical con man.
>>
>>47949193
>conning a noble
Good luck doing business in other towns without getting hunted down and lynched.
>>
>>47948874
because a man named O'gotta Petitdick felt the need to have multiple
>>
>>47949203
That's why you are the charlatan background. Your create alternate personas for each different time you run the con, and only run the con for top coin payoff.

It's far from a full proof plan, but it would be fun role play with adequate reward for the player / party.
>>
>>47949022
>still using this meme after we established that minor conjuration is much less powerful than people think it is several threads ago

>>47949037
You've pretty much covered it. Personally I'd take Magic Initiate (Find Familiar) and just summon a hawk, and put him on your shoulder. You'll always have a flanking buddy giving you sneak attack.
>>
>>47949262
Considering it lasts an hour, that just means you'll find potential buyers will ensure you can't escape while they wait for the timer to tick down.
>>
>>47944517
What is the origin of charts like this that keep popping up? What does the "Rg" mean?
>>
>>47949318
>You've pretty much covered it. Personally I'd take Magic Initiate (Find Familiar) and just summon a hawk, and put him on your shoulder. You'll always have a flanking buddy giving you sneak attack.
Yes, ok... so... are there mundane weapons that exist outside of the PHB table and the OotA derro weapons...?
>>
>>47949385
Me. They're just build planners I throw together in notepad and then snip for the general if there's a reason to post them. Rg is for rogue, to keep track of the class ASIs.
>>
Dual wielding shield fighter...yes/no?
>>
>>47949586
You can only benefit from one shield's AC bonus at a time. So there's absolutely no bonus to dual wielding shields (unfortunately).
>>
>>47949586
Only if you can somehow get two different magic shields that actually benefit you to use both at once.
>>
>>47949586
>read the book nigga.jpg
>>
>>47949705
>"look ma, I posted it againXD"
>>
I didn't want to make a new thread but I will if told so;

Is it possible to get cheap D&D stuff in Aus (sydney)? I know of places like Game's Paradise, Good Game, Game Traders... But it feels like I am getting screwed paying their prices ($58 for Player's handbook/Monster Manual/DM guide, $18 for one set of dice)....
I have looked at places like Amazon or eBay but when you factor in currency exchange and shipping, it works out roughly the same as buying from the places listed above.
I feel like I am between a rock and a hard place.
>>
>>47949815
Serves you right for living in Australia.
Best advice I can give you is to just go digital for everything--all the official 5e documents and books can be downloaded for free via the links at the top of the thread, and there are dozens of random integer generators that can function as your dice online.
I DM 5e all the time, and I haven't had to pay a single cent (though I did choose to buy a physical copy of the 5e starter set so we can actually fund a 6e someday.)
>>
>>47949815
well im going to presume you're dead set on hard copies, because if not theres the mega, and they sell digital on the wizards store i think if you're against that.

that being said, if your local hobby stores are already jacked up in price because lel island, like you said online hard copies is going to be better. make sure you check a variety of places though, dont forget they ARE books, so barnes and noble might have them. if you have any chain bookstores that allow web purchases, you might be able to ship them there for cheaper.
wizards has a store locator for places that sell their shit, but that might not be much help with markup
id settle for digital though.

dice though is more annoying, but same logic. absolute max you would need is 4 of each just to make things faster/easier, but really all you need is one of everything
>>
Are there any spells that intentionally allow someone to easily dig/tunnel through dirt and stone, or are the closest ones approximations like 'acid spell, melts through shit?'
>>
>>47944376

Im presently playing a lightfoot Halfling Lore Bard guild artisan with the gpurmand feat. Im the best cook in the land the foremost expert on dinosaurs in the region and totally not a untouchable unstoppable super spy
>>
>>47950082
Mold Earth
>>
>>47950082
Move Earth
>>
>>47950082
i presume you mean actual digging, and not just moving through stone temporarily or removing the stone with an illusion. actual, permanent "no more stone here" for tunnels and shit.
RAW Desintigrate doesn't say it should, but you could easily read it as rai that it does, and it would go pretty quick
move earth doesn't work on stone, but it does work on dirt and rocky soil, and creates probably the longest tunnel per cast
stone shape does, but only 5 feet a cast
>>
>>47950128
>>47950145
>>47950155
Thanks doods.
>>
>>47949157
well, if the martial isn't completely retarded he could shoot at you if you do barred force cage.

Don't get me wrong, he's still fairly screwed but they can at least do SOMETHING
>>
>>47950728
The gap between the bars is only 1/2 an inch, technically possible to shoot through for many weapons, but that's disadvantage at the very least, and honestly I'm not even 100% sure I'd allow it at all. I probably would, just for the sake of keeping the action flowing, but it's definitely borderline.
>>
>>47950812
>Shooting through arrow slits is disadvantage
>>
>>47950836
and don't forget spells going in do not suffer disadvantage or have to worry about cover
>>
Does anyone have the list of magic items for AL S4?
>>
>>47950881
Yeah. Casting is so OP when you don't read the rules and just assume it should be better than it is.
>>
>>47949635
>>47949666
Well shit
>>
>>47946220
No problem, always glad to help out some /tg/ bros.
Just found a couple more new ones from Frog God (about the Borderland Provinces). Added to the mega.
>>
>>47950933
Yeah, it sucks. Should have at least been one of the benefits of the Shield Master feat. I guess everyone who doesn't rely on their weapon dice would consider it obligatory. They should have allowed it, allowed stacking, and found some way to balance it. Shame.
>>
>>47945253
>>47950955
What exactly is it? Like, can you give me a brief summary of what exactly is in there?
>>
>>47950959
>and found some way to balance it.
they did, by not letting it stack.
>>
>>47950970
>they should have balanced dual-wield shields granting the AC bonus of each shield
>"hurrr derp awawhghgh they alanced it by NOT leting aherrrrr hurrr not letting them stack..."
Quality post my nigga!
>>
>>47950969
Frog God makes 150+ page splats. For example, Fifth Edition Foes is basically an unofficial Fiend Folio, and Book of Lost Spells is analogous to a Spell Compendium. They also make a lot of adventure books.

En5ider is a periodical that makes ~6 page articles several times a month, each covering a specific topic (campaign lessons from The Hobbit, simple rule tweaks for space combat, new subclasses for wizard including an archivist, etc.). They also release occasional short adventures.

I'd recommend downloading them if you have room, just in case you find something fun.
>>
>>47950836
Most arrow slits were not 1/2 an inch thick.

>>47950881
>>47950900
If you're using a ranged spell, sure. That's why a smart mage wouldn't use a ranged spell. And cover applies advantage to Dexterity saves, but that'd only apply if the mage placed the origin point outside the cage, which would be stupid. So as long as the mage isn't stupid, or uses non-Dexterity saves, there's no penalty for most spells that would be used in this situation.
>>
>>47951022
So a Fighter can't shoot his bow out of the bars, but a Wizard can put a fireball bead through them from hundreds of feet away in order to ignore the cover bonus?

Yeah, this doesn't seem like favoritism at all.
>>
>>47951054
but anon, it's magic! I dont have to have any sort of internal consistency!
>>
>>47948549
It's not a great multiclass, but it's far from the worst. Bonus action dodge/disengage/etc in wildshape is pretty nifty
>>
>>47951103
What would you say is the worst?
>>
>>47951103
fuck yeah, now i want to be a druid rogue and be a screeching monkey, tearing off people's faces and running away!
>>
>>47947869
wow damn you sure showed me
>>
File: Y Thou.png (28 KB, 367x283) Image search: [Google]
Y Thou.png
28 KB, 367x283
>>47951069
>No internal consistency
>In a system where magic is studied AS A PROFESSION
5/10, got me to respond.
>>
>>47951118
Are we limiting ourselves to just 2 classes here?
That's my assumption anyway.

It's hard to find a way to truly fuck yourself over if you spend just a little time thinking about what you're doing when you multiclass. Just don't pick anything that will grant zero synergy.
Also, in general multiclassing is better if you just dip and don't try to be equal parts of two classes.

Without thinking about it too much, I'd say something like ranger/sorcerer seems pretty shitty. I'm sure you can think of reasons why that wouldn't be optimal. But hey, no reason why it couldn't be "fun."
>>
>>47951153
???
It was a genuine question, I wasn't trying to "sure show" you anything. Care to share your reasoning?
>>
>>47951194
oh wow
>>
>>47948494
there are sharktooth swords in princes of the apocalypse that do an extra damage die to unarmored targets.
>>
Do you ever have that one player that uses minor illusion like a retard? I do. I fucking do. And it takes all of my willpower not to laugh at them and ask them what the fuck is going on in their head when they say things.

It just seems like such a useful cantrip, it just repeatedly blows my mind how much they fuck it up.
>>
>>47951279
examples?
>>
>>47951194
because i didn't take investigation first time around, and i wanted to take history and nature because no one had those.
>>
>>47951279
>players approaching cave they expect to find goblins in
>I minor illusion the sound of goblins inside the cave
>...o-okay
>>
>>47946688
Beastmaster is not a trap option. It's damage output is the same as other martial classes. Just cause you and your beast can't attack on the same turn from the start people think it's underpowered.
>>
>>47951317
i believe it's because their beast is easily dispatched that people think it is underpowered.
>>
>>47951336
Giant crab is best beast
>>
>>47946893
>>47949037
pls someone answer
>>
>>47951384
what do you want. anything that lets you bonus action attack or attack after using the attack action, so war cleric, berserker, horde breaker, or beast master (?).
if i think of any others i'll post but that might be it.
>>
>>47951279
I use it with prestidigitation to recreate my party's adventures to entertain townsfolk, like C3-PO in Return of the Jedi.
>>
>>47951424
SHIT. I was linking the wrong post, I'm sorry.

I meant to link >>47948494
>>
>>47947371
I really, REALLY hope that wasn't supposed to be clever.
>>
File: actually a good point.png (15 KB, 730x413) Image search: [Google]
actually a good point.png
15 KB, 730x413
I'm going to be jumping into an Adventure League game tomorrow, and I want to clarify something really quick: Do I add the subrace's bonuses on top of my regular racial bonus, or instead of?

I'm planning on building a couple of characters, and I want to know if I can use the Elf's +2 Dex to help max out armour class while also using the High Elf's subrace to get a free 1d10 cantrip.
>>
>>47951539
o. yeah i responded about sharktooth swords, but i think thats it.
>>
>>47951554
yeah you get the racial bonuses, and then in addition any one subrace's bonuses.
>>
>>47951568
Ah, thank-you, I didn't notice that post.
>>
>>47951579
Awesome.

One more question: for the fighter who's just going to be a meatshield with a high AC, would a High Elf with a fireball cantrip for range be alright, or should I go with Half-Orc for both the defense fighter and the two-handed fighter?
>>
>>47951604
There are much better cantrips than Fire Bolt, Minor Illusion for instance.
>>
>>47951604
just so we're clear, you mean firebolt, not fireball. they are two different spells.
the rest of your post... just depends.
to make a high AC fighter you either want to be focused on dexterity and use light armor. so studded leather with 20 dexterity is 17 AC. or you want to go strength based and use heavy armor, i.e. plate, which sets your AC to 18 and doesn't give you any bonus from having dexterity (or penalty).
firebolt will mostly be useless to a fighter, especially a dexterity based fighter, as your attacks with a bow will always be better because you get multiple attacks, and you can use dexterity with them, and they get your dexterity mod to damage. whereas firebolt uses intelligence, which is essentially useless to a fighter except an eldritch knight, and even then its usefulness is less than whatever attack stat you pick, strength or dexterity, and also probably less useful than constitution. if you want to make a high elf fighter, which isn't a bad idea, you probably would be better off picking either a utility cantrip, or a damaging cantrip which has some effect other than damage, i.e. shocking grasp for getting out of sticky situations (and for having advantage against armored targets). the damage will never outshine your weapon damage, but you might want the rider effect in some instances. especially since you mentioned wanting to use dexterity for said high elven fighter.
>>
Anyone know how to save HomeBrewery stuff as a pdf?
>>
>>47951841
yeah family. press the print button, and then instead of printing when the print thing pops up, click open as pdf or something (depends on your computer). you can save it from there
>>
>>47951696
>>47951697
Yeah, I meant firebolt. A 1d10 cantrip that can be cast at will without consuming a spell slot sounds amazing. I was just looking for a ranged attack that did more than 1d6 or 1d8 damage.

It's Adventure League, so I have to make a new Level 1 character with only the default options in the rulebook. I can't spend any money on equipment. I have no idea if the game will run long enough to level up more than maybe once or twice, and I have doubts about how much time will pass in between market trips.

All I've heard about this campaign is that it's going to involve the party getting displaced into an alternate world, and that there are going to be at least two five hour sessions.

It's been forever since I've been in a real campaign where I actually got to level up a character and upgrade my equipment.
>>
>>47944540
Javelins use STR not DEX and they don't benefit from Archery Fighting Style
>>
There was some fag ITG quite a few threads back who wanted to build a barbarian with an octopus familiar that sat on his head and was trying to come up with a way to keep it hydrated. If he's here and still theory-crafting that character, you could do a water genasi. They get create/destroy water as a racial ability when they reach level 3.
>>
>>47951878
Thanks tons, Bronan of Cimmeria
>>
>>47949157
>I don't think one spell means that casters are still supreme in 5e
okay now try Contagion
>>
>>47952124
1d8+stats is generally better than Firebolt.

That said, Firebolt is hardly a bad thing to have, even if it's running off of a non-core stat (unless you're an EK).
>>
>>47948358
>not grinding the crystal into fine dust then tattooing it into your skin
>>
Why is a lycanthrope curse so good even if you don't accept it?

You gain resistance against physical damage and Keen Senses for pretty much no drawback for 99% of the time.

You can easily see when the next full moon will be and just let your party put you in chains over the night, and then enjoy the benefits of the curse for a full month again. Seriously every PC probably secretly wishes to get bitten by a Werewolf in battle.
>>
>>47952622
because you approach d&d like a video game
>>
>>47952457
>not grinding the crystal into a fine dust and then snorting it
>>
>>47952631
No I totally don't. I'm a forever DM so I would gain nothing from this.

I just think that it's retarded that throwing Werewolf at my party will probably make them WAY stronger.
>>
>>47952644
I changed it so that you only get the benefits when in hybrid form, you can only shift at night, you have vulnerability to silvered weapons and every time you take a long rest you need to make a DC15 wisdom saving throw or go on a rampage

You also get a level of exhaustion after shifting back
>>
In an upcoming campaign the DM said if there are any races we really want to play and get a homebrew he approves of he will put them in his world. I've always wanted to play a Satyr PC but all the homebrews I find give them the broken ability "ADV on Saves against Spells" from th MM. Does anybody know a good one?
>>
>>47953358
https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Satyr_(5e_Race)
It's the best one I know. But I don't know a lot.
>>
>>47953438
Seems a bit powerful to me.
>>
>>47953456
Proboly. But you can just take away the over powerd stuff. It's what we did.
>>
>>47953470
Yeah the ADV on Persuasion and Intimidation is OP but the rest isn't to bad.
>>
>>47952622
Intentionally NOT curing it for your benefit would classify as accepting it, and shift your alignment appropriately.

Which can be an awesome campaign on its own right, but unless you throw alignment appropriate lycanthropes and build the campaign for it, just pass them notes about how/what they are starting to tend towards in various situations, even if the rest of the party doesn't get it.
>>
File: spooky_ghost.gif (437 KB, 366x600) Image search: [Google]
spooky_ghost.gif
437 KB, 366x600
How does a warlock's pact take form? How is a warlock suddenly able to summon a scythe because he gained magic from a demon? How can a warlock suddenly summon an obedient pixie because of a bargain made with a deep one? How can a warlock suddenly have a spellbook because he made is apprenticing under a vampire?
>>
>>47951054
If you still have the "aim a bead of fire at the target area" flavor on fireball, then you're well within your rights to say that it requires an attack to get it through small spaces, just like in previous editions. In fact, reading up, fireball still calls out a flash of light that travels between you and the target... while it doesn't have any language about having to aim it, I can easily see that as justification to require an attack roll.

See, what you don't seem to realize is that it's the DM's job to adjudicate various scenarios based not only on the rules as written, but also based on what makes sense, and what prevents the game from breaking. Just like I allow a save against forcecage to prevent the game from breaking, I'm more than willing to require an attack to aim a spell that's clearly aimed when it makes sense. Just because I state the basic rule doesn't mean I'm not willing to make a ruling of my own if something calls for it. Because when I DM, I actually do my job... I'm sorry that you only seem to have experience with shit DM's who just read some text and do exactly what it says no matter what, but that's really not my problem.
>>
>>47944540
>>47952131
>they don't benefit from Archery Fighting Style
To clarify (it doesn't really help to know the ruling if you don't know the reason for it), this is because javelins are melee weapons that you can use to make a ranged attack, but they're not actually ranged weapons... and Archery Style only applies to ranged weapons, not all ranged attacks. The difference between a melee/ranged attack and a melee/ranged weapon is a subtle one in 5e, but still an important one.
>>
>>47952393
My solution for contagion is that the penalties don't kick in until all three saving throws have been failed. This turns contagion from the combat-ending monstrosity it is back into the non-combat villain's tool that it was always meant to be.

My point here is that the system itself isn't broken, just one small piece at a time, so when one of those pieces comes up, it's easily fixed.
>>
>>47952622
>You can easily see when the next full moon will be and just let your party put you in chains over the night...
If your DM doesn't use this to cause problems for you, they should retire immediately.
>>
File: dbz piccolo.gif (268 KB, 500x230) Image search: [Google]
dbz piccolo.gif
268 KB, 500x230
I'm making a Lvl 1 sword and board fighter, with the general focus on defense.

I'm trying to decide between fighting styles. Defense for +1 AC, bringing me to 18, Protection, to give disadvantage to anyone attacking someone who's right next to me, or maybe going with Dueling for a bit of a general boost to damage.

I know nothing about my group makeup, since this is kind of a drop-in game.

I've got a maul-using fighter and a bard already made right now. I just wanted to come with a couple of pre-rolled characters so I could fill whatever niche was needed.

Also, the meatshield character is a dex character, with all the 5e dex skills.
>>
>>47953675
+1 AC is always nice. Not huge, but nice.
Protection is really good if you got multiple meeles in your group.
Dueling is only really good at early levels, but it’s not bad.

If you don’t know the team set up, I would go with +1 AC. Since it’s always good.
>>
>>47952622
>be part of an evil party
>trying to find some ancient magic bullshit so that my warlock can research immortality and the party archaeologist can wank over elvish artifacts
>head to a forest that has a reputation for making people go the way of the dodo
>spooky mist ensues
>my detect magic is going fucking nuts
>we find a small village (abandoned) and proceed to poke around
>get up to leave
>surrounded by wolves, dire wolves, and werewolves
>the DM cackles as the werewolves snarl their demands at us
>"You will leave this wood in pieces you fools.... unless you wish to join the pack."
>the DM smiles evilly
>the players remind him that this is an evil party
>the DM stops smiling

And we would've gotten away with it, too, if it weren't for the guy we let into the session that night.
>>
File: come join the fun.jpg (62 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
come join the fun.jpg
62 KB, 500x375
>>47953744
Thanks for the advice. That's what I'll be going with, then.

That said, I really have to get a few hours of shuteye.
>>
>>47953772
Yeah, an evil party in Ravenloft tends to end badly for the DM...
>>
>>47948494
Theres no point to this derro weapon as anyone can push prone
>>
>>47953651
The casting time shouldn't be one action if it isn't intended as a combat spell though.
>>
Don´t know if I can ask this here, but does anyone have a d&d mega trove with all editions? Lost my old link.

And reading through the 5e player´s handbook. Feats are only avaible to humans and figthers, while everyone else has to get them as they level up? Probably missed something there.
>>
>>47954027
What? No. Variant human gets one at level 1. Everyone else gets the choice between feats or ability score increases every 5 or so levels. Fighters don't even get feats from their class.
>>
>>47954061
Ah. Then I did misread it. Thanks for clearing that up, anon.
>>
>>47953970
What the hell does that have to do with anything? Casting time does not determine whether a spell is a combat spell or not, the effect of the spell does. There are plenty of spells with casting times of 1 action that aren't intended for combat.
>>
>>47944480
They are, but only because I'm playing a divination wizard
>>
How many rounds of an encounter pass before you think it becomes boring. Most encounters I run start exciting but usually whittle down to sides trading blows after all the environmental stuff gets used and the players dont want to spend more resources. I'll end a fight when the players are obvious winners, but sometimes thats not always the case.
>>
>>47953938
Ranger hunter attacks can make use of it.
>>
Can someone redpill me on NonDetection? It seems like a pretty useless spell.
>>
>>47953938
It has a niche use: you can use it to knock down enemies with a higher Dexterity (Acrobatics) check more easily, since it's a Strength save, and a character that doesn't have Strength or Dexterity (or Acrobatics or Athletics) can use it to have a better chance at knocking people prone than they normally would.
>>
>>47954487
Since you have to hit and then they make a save I think its rather weak
>>47954441
explain
>>
>>47954367
Sorry, that's just my 4e showing. But I think it's reasonable to expect there is a combat application for a spell you can cast in combat, and which has a good combat effect.
>>
>>47954481
Do you really not understand how it could be useful to be completely immune to divination shit? Targets can't be scryed, detect thoughts doesn't work on them, locate creature/object can't find them, and so on.

I mean... are your games nothing but pure combat, or something? Even if they are, you should at least be aware of the fact that some people don't have shit DM's, and that protection from divination can be a very useful thing in a competently run game.
>>
>>47954509
>Since you have to hit and then they make a save I think its rather weak
Yeah, but that doesn't mean it has no use, it's just not as good as having a decent Strength and training in Athletics. It's better than nothing if nothing is what you have.

That's why it's a niche use, I wasn't advocating for everybody to go out and get a hook spear or anything.
>>
>>47953938
Most shoves are contested athletics checks though, this requires a save, which means the attacker doesn't have to hope they roll well.
>>
>>47954532
I mean, you could use my version in combat if you're desperate and willing to wait several rounds, but the whole point of my change is to remove contagion as an immediate fight ender. It's pretty clearly meant to be more of a long-term effect, not something you're supposed to be throwing around in a fight, because it has a 7 day duration.

Contagion is the spell that the Big Bad uses to unleash a plague in the capitol city, not something Joe Wizard should be relying on to kill Ogre #743.

But that's just my take, if you want to use a different method to fix the balance issues in your game, that's your choice.
>>
>>47951173
No, he's completely right. We don't have magic in reality, so its effects and the physical consequences of a spell are pretty much up to imagination.

Fireball. Does it do concussive damage? It explodes, but it doesn't say it knocks objects away. It also spreads around corners. But how would a simple gout of flame with no real force behind it blow this door up? It's done enough damage for that, so we've got to break the door somehow, whether it be wood or metal or stone. So the door pops its hinges, naturally. What about this jail cell door made of bars? The fire should go right through, but hey, we've still established that this does enough damage to break doors, so it's going to get blown off its hinges anyway.

Compare this to any time someone wants to do something without magic. No, Jeff, you can't bash the door down with your weapon, you'd break it. I don't have rules here for weapon damage and structural integrity, but no. And just because you can throw enough objects to match the damage of the fireball that breaks doors doesn't mean that's a valid option either. You want to kick it down? You may have 20 Strength, but you still only have a 50% chance of succeeding, and I'm only going to give you one roll for this obviously repeatable action that real world humans can pull off reliably in one go with both less strength and stronger doorframes. Oh, and the frail-ass Wizard can also try this and succeed anyway.

The "internal consistency" of magic is "it does whatever the fuck we want". The internal consistency of physical abilities is "reality at half strength as long as it's not too useful or impressive".

Same shit when you're dealing with technology and magic. You might have super-advanced alien bullshit that rapes physics, but it's going to be loaded with all sorts of caveats and limitations that would require tedious out-of-combat tinkering to work around if your DM allows that at all, but magic can be shaped into whatever the fuck on the fly.
>>
>>47954559
Yes but its still two chances of failure vs one
>>
>>47954599
But if your one chance of failure is incredibly high, two chances of failure that are much lower can still be a better option.

Just as a quick example, you have a check with a DC of 10, would you rather roll 1d20-5 or 1d20+5 with disadvantage?
>>
>>47954509
>Explain [why the hooked spear is useful for hunter rangers]
Shove requires taking the Attack action.
Whirlwind Attack is not the Attack action.
Horde Breaker requires a weapon attack.
Shove is not a weapon.
Hooked spear is a weapon.
>>
>>47954537
>Do you really not understand how it could be useful to be completely immune to divination shit?
Yes, I really don't.

>I mean... are your games nothing but pure combat, or something?
Yes, the first and essentially only DM so far I've had kinda sucked a lot.
>>
>>47954637
Well, in a good game, sometimes enemies also use divination magic, to spy on you, to find your secrets, or for many other reasons. Sometimes you'll even need to get past allies who are using divination for some reason. Being able to negate that can be incredibly useful in a lot of stories that involve more than "Monster hits you, you hit him back."

You really should try to find a better DM.
>>
>>47954580

Contagion is a spell that operates under the assumption that a fight lasts more than 3 rounds. Its possible sure but rarely happens and its a super niche spell with wording problems that made some people think it was way better than it actually was
>>
>>47949815
Try book depository , You'll have to wait a while for it to arrive but the shipping is free.
>>
>>47954436
>How many rounds of an encounter pass before you think it becomes boring.
It's less about how many rounds and more about how focused the group is, and whether they're working together.

A group that's paying attention is going to get through a lot more rounds of combat a lot faster than a group that's spending more time arguing about what to do (and killing it's own members), so the amount of time that passes before something gets boring can change dramatically.

Don't forget that the pacing of an encounter or session can also have a big effect. Beating a couple of skeletons, moving into a new room with a different skeleton composition where a big minotaur skeleton comes out and wreaks shit, and then having harsh words with the necromancer after everything else has been made dead again is a bit better paced than one huge horde against a bullet sponge boss.

On a side note, what's the D&D version of bullet sponge? Meat shield only seems to apply to defensive utility, not the kind of durability something really tough would have.
>>
>>47954841
The problem with base contagion isn't what happens after three rounds, it's that it is completely unshakable for at least three rounds. It's a single attack that can completely neutralize a creature for a minimum of three rounds, no matter how high their saving throws.

The fact that combats rarely last more than a few rounds is actually what makes it so powerful, specifically because it can't be removed for the majority of most combats.
>>
>>47954890
Pretty sure there was an answer in the Errata/Sage Advice that says the Contagion effect only happens once all 3 saves have been failed.
>>
>>47954955
Well, considering that's been my house rule since I saw the spell, I guess it's nice that there's finally an errata/SA that I can agree with.
>>
File: Sol Manticus 5.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Sol Manticus 5.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>47952131
>>47953612

Thanks for the info, I've changed accordingly.

Also made a few changes after the first session:
>switched my race to Aasimar, since I wasn't aware that was even an option yet in 5e, and it's what Sol was in pathfinder
>Dropped the sharpshooter feat to hold onto war caster
>With DM's approval, got the repeating Aasimar spells replaced with other spells of similar level and school.
>Got a grey bag of tricks after rescuing a gnome merchant, so I added that too my equipment.
>>
>>47954955
>>47955021
Here's a source to go with it. http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/06/13/contagion-effects/
>>
>>47946817
Beast master ranger. Tell your pet to attack and throw a net yourself.
>>
>>47955123
Hey, yeah, that's a good one. Thanks.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 32

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.