[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Have you ever ripped off a character concept
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 23
File: 1459219756515.png (78 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1459219756515.png
78 KB, 250x250
Anything books, anime, film
Did you ever lift an entire character.
How did it turn out did you manage to get the same arc as the original character or did you end up different

I did pic related. it turned out very differently as the defacto leader of the party never betrayed ups so basically I ended up playing guts in a prolonged golden age until I died too vampires
>>
Everyone has at some point. Those that say they haven't ARE FILTHY FUCKING LIARS JUST LIKE MY EX-WIFE AND PARENTS. FUCKING SANTA REALLY?!?!
>>
>>47925325
All art is derivative. If people don't know the reference, you're a genius. If people recognize the reference, say it's an homage. If you're getting too much flak for the reference, say it's a parody.
>>
>>47925344
/thread
>>
>>47925325
>Rippinf off something from anime

No, I don't have any desire for sameface characters with chins and noses that can pierce plate mail, and eyes that would make a beholder uncomfortable.
>>
File: GutsPortrait.jpg (48 KB, 225x350) Image search: [Google]
GutsPortrait.jpg
48 KB, 225x350
>>47925501
Guts has a pretty square face though
>>
I literally played Not-Raistlin for a 4 year campaign.

Was fine. He had his own goals and everything, just had all the same ailments and mannerisms.
>>
I don't do a 1-1 copy, but i do take stuff from several characters.
My first character was a boxer who had a 'guardian' spirit, he was a mix of joseph and josuke.
Another character was a power rangers/super sentai actor who didnt take out the costume
And right now i got a girl who looks similar to ryuko from kill la kill, and a friend plays a sentient sword shaped like a red scisor, only my pc can hear him talk. He also likes to rap during battle
>>
Not entirely. I always recombine traits of few characters into one.
>>
>>47925325
Yes and no. I generally take a character I really like in a vidya/show/book/anime and sit down while basically replaying how the character is in my head, then I change things here and there till till I get a homage to the character I picked but it is an entirely different person.
>>
>>47925325
As a GM I do this all the time. One of two things happens:
A: The players get the reference and laugh before playing things out as if nothing weird had happened.
B: The players are none the wiser and just treat them as another character.
>>
File: 1458357492622.jpg (260 KB, 835x640) Image search: [Google]
1458357492622.jpg
260 KB, 835x640
I used a different image of pic related as character art along with a bunch of superficially similar character flaws. The character turned out really well, but I wouldn't really be able to compare the two characters after the first few sessions.

>>47925719
>>47925501
>Disliking anime
>On an imageboard originally made to discuss anime
>Populated mostly by weebs

I fucking hate you newfriends who stumble onto here thinking it's a den of le ebin trolls.
>>
File: 455357.png (279 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
455357.png
279 KB, 1600x1200
>>47925501
>sameface characters with chins and noses that can pierce plate mail

That sounds pretty useful. Use your chin and nose as natural weapons.
>>
File: 239476592364.jpg (76 KB, 700x1000) Image search: [Google]
239476592364.jpg
76 KB, 700x1000
>>47925366
"It's a parody, I swear to God." It was actually a coincidence
>>
>>47925325

I'm playing not-Guts too as an Eva pilot
>>
File: jayne_cobb_stogies.jpg (22 KB, 539x471) Image search: [Google]
jayne_cobb_stogies.jpg
22 KB, 539x471
D&D with the female equivalent of Jayne Cobb, I regret only not to have the time to play more.
>>
>>47926623
Figures that you'd actually rip a character out of some media when your taste is this terrible.

You know I can reverse search images too, just in case I had any unfounded suspicion?
>>
>>47925325
I made FemGriffith.
Want to meet up and fight?
>>
>>47926708
I was just randomly searching images for black-haired musicians and found it that way.
>>
I did the cast of Scooby-Doo for two sessions before the players caught on. I changed the names of the characters of course but their actions and what they would say we're scooby dooby dooo
>>
File: bookerdewitt.jpg (57 KB, 430x640) Image search: [Google]
bookerdewitt.jpg
57 KB, 430x640
It was a coincidence, but the game turned out great.
>>
>>47925687
Given he's almost certainly meant to be white due to the setting, its kind of amusing that Guts is one of the few anime/manga characters who actually looks Japanese.
>>
>>47926670
I could see that working. Guts' personality is mostly a response to horrible circumstances, which is something you can easily port into Eva.
>>
>>47926822
Scooby Doo's cast is based on some really fundamental archetypes, so I'm not surprised they didn't notice for a while.
A lot of horror fiction (particulary Cabin in the Woods and Buffy) have central casts that mirror the Scooby Gang.
>>
Yes, more than once.

Never to literal expy level, but I almost always start with an existing character for my base concept.
>>
>>47927192
I did a mix of Spawn and Mega Man inspired by an AV Club article once that was pretty chill.
>>
>>47927220
That's fucking rad. I've been trying to basically make my Goliath into a 90's wrestling star but I keep mixing heel and face characters into their persona too much since both are so fun. I need to stick with something so I can have consistency.
>>
File: WP_20150214_003.jpg (2 MB, 2000x3552) Image search: [Google]
WP_20150214_003.jpg
2 MB, 2000x3552
>>47925325
I lifted ideas from a character in Gaurdians of Ga'hoole once, but that's as close as I've ever come to out-right copying.

I accidentally made a character who was a lot like Tiny Tina from Borderlands (young, nuts, savant with machines/explosives though he was more into the former). Me and my buddy did a double take when we finally ran into her on BL2.
>>
I played Sun Wokong in Exalted. It went pretty well, although I never did finish the campaign and topple the Celestual Bureucracy.
>>
File: BlackKnight.png (29 KB, 330x287) Image search: [Google]
BlackKnight.png
29 KB, 330x287
>>47925325
Anakin Skywalker, sort of. He was much more likeable than in the movies, and it wasn't intentional at first.
It's just that my character kind of turned into Fantasy Darth Vader.
>>
>>47926683
I too played in a game with a female Jayne Cobb, most of the fun was just character interactions.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (283 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
283 KB, 1680x1050
My first ever character was "House M.D. but with ghost magic" and it turned out passable. The game was pretty short, so I don't know if he would have held up to long-term scrutiny. I've made an effort since then to blend sources of inspiration to make something that feels original, though I don't always succeed.

I do play with a guy who keeps taking joke concepts too far and insisting they are legit characters. Things like "dude, John Cena would make a hilarious shadowrunner" or "you can totally build the entire cast of TF2 in V:tM" which make fun enough thought experiments but don't hold up in an actual game no matter how much he tries.

Pic unrelated, I just want to trigger the anti-weeb anon.
>>
>>47926776
Sure you were
>>
>>47927247
Yeah I find in terms of the roleplaying side, its best to come up with a central dramatic theme for the character and then figure out the details based on that.
The character I did was meant to be all about being unnecessary or obsolete, so I took the concept of Spawn being a man resurrected at a time when he no longer has any value to the people he loved in life and mixed it with the idea from this article of Mega Man being obsolete after Mega Man 2.
The ultimate product was a man who had been a war hero in life brought back in a robot body into a world where the war that gave him definition was long forgotten and his family had moved on. Was pretty cool.
>>
>>47927286
Did he like sand?
>>
>>47925344
rip sandy claws
>>
File: hqdefault (1).jpg (16 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault (1).jpg
16 KB, 480x360
>>47925366
>>
>>47927425
Not really.
He got Mustafar-ed in a desert city, so...
>>
>>47925325

Had an old Gamma World character that was basically X-Men's Nightcrawler.

A D&D character whose looks and personality were that of an elvish Gabrielle (from Xena, Warrior Princess).

John Galt as an Objectivist paladin (a concept follower, not a follower of a God of Objectivism which would be a tad self-contradictory)
>>
>>47926670
How?!

>>47926623
I'm aware of that awkward feeling when your character keeps taking on more and more of an existing character's traits until finally someone else in the group points it out.
>>
Everyone I love is dead.
>>
>>47925325
Not a character, but I was looking to lift the plot of Brotherhood of the Wolf for a short campaign. The problem is that even dumbed down to the base elements it's still recognizable.

>monstrous beast terrorizing the land
>occasionally makes high-profile killings, although the majority are still goatherds and farmer's daughters
>the victims are taken not for meat, but seemingly for sport, often found thrashed around and beaten against rocks
>every now and then a wound appears on the bodies that appears entirely unnatural, as if made by an iron tool or the like
>surely it cannot be the work of men, because there are survivors who clearly state that it is some beast larger than a wolf

It's a niche enough work that I don't think any of the party would recognize it, but my own sense of creativity nevertheless wants to modify the tale. Any input?
>>
>>47926901
He's pretty dark by his setting's standards. Always struck me that he was foreign to wherever it is he's living
>>
>>47925325
There is at least one small bit of the Joker in each of my characters. Also made a blatant ripoff of Tuco from Di Dollari. No one got the reference.

Once I did it in reverse. First time I played a Sith game I made an exact copy of Kylo Ren, 6 months before the movie came out.
>>
>>47927790
moorish blood maybe, or the setting equivalent.
Or, more likely, it's just a visual design trait since he's something of a dark character already. Like how Griffith was all pale and presented as this angel-made-man for a time.
>>
File: Red_Mage.jpg (53 KB, 792x1009) Image search: [Google]
Red_Mage.jpg
53 KB, 792x1009
All my bards are just Red Mages
>>
File: nyehehe cartoony smile full.png (547 KB, 1223x2281) Image search: [Google]
nyehehe cartoony smile full.png
547 KB, 1223x2281
Same ice powers, forgetful memory, and tragic backstory as the Ice King; and Same mannerisms, moustache twirling, laugh, and success rate as Dastardly Dick.

One of the most complex and entertaining characters I've had in a while.
>>
File: I have Fucked the Moon.png (225 KB, 1280x429) Image search: [Google]
I have Fucked the Moon.png
225 KB, 1280x429
>>47925325
Old Man Henderson

I have no regrets
>>
>>47925868
that sounds like a shitty campaign if one player is limited to talk to only one other player and making nigger noises
>>
>>47925325
Had a gunner in a Star Wars game that was basically Jayne.
>>
>>47927026
>white-knight faggot
>dumb pretty bitch
>intelligent nerd bitch
>stoner
>another stoner

seems legit
>>
File: 1425667201223.jpg (296 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1425667201223.jpg
296 KB, 1000x1000
I've never done it, but I'd like to try to play a character based on Centorea once. No horse pussy of course, just the gap moe of a strong, brave and chivalrous knight who has zero experience with men and is both prudish and loyal to a fault.

This would probably only work in a lighthearted campaign where the other players agree to cooperate with the concept.
>>
>>47927266
tiny tina is pretty much an archetype too
ed from cowboy bepop fits into the same archetype

its the basic concept of having a charakter that isnt as mighty when it comes to raw manpower but makes up for it with intelligence
>>
File: galavant-2.jpg (74 KB, 700x400) Image search: [Google]
galavant-2.jpg
74 KB, 700x400
I don't think I've done a 100% lift from another setting, but I've certainly based fighting styles, or personalities off established characters.

Recent one I had a lot of fun with was a character based off pic related. Sir Markus Rosewater was a half-elf Rogue/Bard hybrid that ran around dueling people with his broadsword while singing songs about how awesome he was and why the other party members should stop lazing around with gaping stomach injuries to heal them.
>>
>>47928692
You shouldn't have any
>>
File: Murakumo_EV.png (302 KB, 640x680) Image search: [Google]
Murakumo_EV.png
302 KB, 640x680
>>47925325
It happens a lot. I even consider it the bread and butter of character creation: base your character in one already stablished and laugh at what actually comes out of him

some things that I ripped were Armstrong from Netal Gear Rising, a kamen rider inspired paladin and right now I'm about to play as pic related in a campaign of Dungeons the Dragoning
>>
>>47925325
I do it more often than I feel like I should. Being the complete fucking moron I am when it comes to characters, I end up ripping a few characters off.

For example, my latest character was a Bloodrager that was pretty much Raiden from Metal Gear Rising, complete with bullshit armor. Another one was Nightmare from Soulcalibur as a Barbarian with demonic taint slowly taking over his body.
>>
>>47925325

Yes, I once played a Warforged fighter with one eye and a giant sword.

He was called Gears.
>>
I'm currently playing a character (6'8" barbarian) with the naming style of Dave Ryder, and the physical appearance of Dave the Barbarian.
>>
During one of my few Pathfinder games, I ran a punch-based Not!Kamen Rider character by the name of Justice Fist using the Aegis/Soulknife(with unarmed archetype)/Metaforge class setup. One of the few times I legitimately enjoyed playing Pathfinder.
>>
>>47925325
oWoD vampire. My characters dropped the ball and clued the Sabbat into their presence while breaking the masquerade over facebook.

So they're getting the tremors brothers...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waQ6K6EtoqQ

Mixed with...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cwp7APBgCsI
>>
File: hell awaits.jpg (40 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
hell awaits.jpg
40 KB, 300x300
>>47932253
>Forgot pic
>>
File: guts.jpg (29 KB, 400x417) Image search: [Google]
guts.jpg
29 KB, 400x417
>>47925325

My dwarf is now pic-related, minus the cannon. It happened by complete accident too.
>>
I'm currently playing a half-elf sorcerer from a video game.

>It's my old CHARNAME from Baldur's Gate 2
>>
File: ragnar.png (309 KB, 564x411) Image search: [Google]
ragnar.png
309 KB, 564x411
>>47925325
All the time. It makes sense to when you're playing a game, anyone who says there's anything wrong with it or uncreative with you is being stupid because the demand for creativity in RPG's is in playing a character, so it's mostly irrelevant what went into the creation process.

I ripped off this guy and it was one of my funnest and most prolific characters ever.
>>
>>47925325

I made a Jedi in Force and Destiny who was in everything but name and cat-eyes Geralt of Rivia. Chaotic Good with no trust for Rebellion or Empire, losing bits of his souls as he tries to just 'survive' the era of the Empire.
>>
I played Rincewind once, a dex/cha wizard. It was very strange.
>>
>>47926683

Made a orc cob for shadowrun once. I had a big gun, I liked grenades, and I was a selfish sumbitch only cared bout getting payed, even did my best imitation of the voice. I would chain watch firefly before sessions for inspiration.
>>
File: hnry3.png (553 KB, 744x1024) Image search: [Google]
hnry3.png
553 KB, 744x1024
>>47925325
Of course
>>
Inadvertently of Bradly/Wrath. Duel wielder, eye patch, calm outside of combat and an absolute monster during a fight. Hadn't watched the show once, and then caught a run on some channel which depicted said traits. Chuckled at what I had done.
>>
File: shanoa_by_goenitzchild-d1zmbft.jpg (530 KB, 1280x1711) Image search: [Google]
shanoa_by_goenitzchild-d1zmbft.jpg
530 KB, 1280x1711
Playing this as a Storm Sorc in a Curse of Strahd game. I regret nothing but our DM dragging us thru Death House for no reason
>>
>>47925325
Tons of NPCs i use are expys of something
>>
>>47927846
That's exactly how I do my bards too!
>>
Was in a fantasy horror game and I basically played Fem Agent Mulder.

My GM even sent me pics if David Duchovny's drag queen Twin Peaks character
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 23

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.