[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Today, I got an ultrasound of my child. So let's have a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 157
Thread images: 21
Today, I got an ultrasound of my child.

So let's have a thread about illithids. They're cool. Any art or interesting fluff would be appreciated.

For instance these are illithid inquisitors, basically adventuring parties. I think that would be a good campaign.
>>
You wanted people to comment about your ultrasound, so here you go.

Don't start your thread with something off-topic and then just follow it with lip service to keep your thread from being deleted.
>>
>>47916069
Rather, it put me, oddly, in mind of the central conceit behind a race that reproduces through body horror.

But okay. Maybe I should have made that clearer.
>>
File: 1454633951620.png (87 KB, 406x314) Image search: [Google]
1454633951620.png
87 KB, 406x314
>>47916015
These things are fucking terrifying in gurps.
400 points or so, minimum, that just to all the fancy brain powers.
>>
>>47916267
I like how they can be behind virtually anything.
>>
>>47916015
>I got an ultrasound of my child
>Let's talk about Illithids
Planning on eating some infant brain meats OP? I suggest some kind of light stew
>>
File: 1453551488224.jpg (249 KB, 800x1000) Image search: [Google]
1453551488224.jpg
249 KB, 800x1000
>>47916320
Oh god, yeah. Assuming it's not immune to psionics or telepathy, mind flyers can be in control of just about anything.

Also, brain drill tadpole children.
>>
>>47916328
Infant brain meats are the most flavorful, everyone knows that.
>>
File: Cthulhu_Metagaming.jpg (26 KB, 600x243) Image search: [Google]
Cthulhu_Metagaming.jpg
26 KB, 600x243
>>47916015
I'd play a sufficiently-goofy mind-flayer game.
>>
>>47916359
Well, they have every class but druid available to them, also, if you look into the fluff. So magic can be thrown in there. Plus the illithids who don't externally change so they still look like the original race. Poor freaks.

Also I remember them being able to replace a man's brain with goo that controls his body and can attack from the head hole. Useful for meal leftovers!
>>
>>47916445
>Plus the illithids who don't externally change so they still look like the original race.

That's honestly fucking scary, because internally, it's all Illithid. Imagine some adventurers cutting down some minor villain, a human guy, only to have steaming nasty alien shit fall out. That'd be a great one to pull, especially after his Illithid gullet is full of brains. That's some goddamn body horror right there.
>>
File: Mind Flayer Illithid.jpg (108 KB, 1024x926) Image search: [Google]
Mind Flayer Illithid.jpg
108 KB, 1024x926
What's your favourite artistic take on Illithids, /tg/? I'm quite partial to this one save for the slightly derpy eyes.
>>
>>47916866
They have to crack skulls to eat brains with tools. It'd be a good "serial killer" twist.
>>
>>47916366
Does the consumption of infant brains carry the same risk of FUCK-YOUR-SHIT prions that eating adult brainmeets has?
>>
>>47916934
Aren't most takes on them similar?
>>
>>47916866
If you don't pull body horror all the time with illithids, you're doing it wrong.

They have a personnel carrier that's the still conscious head of an illithid who fucked up big time.
>>
>>47916934

I perfer the chad illithid from Book of Madness. Nothing quite scary like a swole as fuck brain eating mother fucker.
>>
File: Mind Flayers.jpg (552 KB, 1000x992) Image search: [Google]
Mind Flayers.jpg
552 KB, 1000x992
>>47917047
There's a few different takes on them I've seen. OP's pic is pretty standard, but there's also these lads with distinctly shorter tentacles, a puckered looking mouth area and smaller heads with wrinkly brainy looking craniums.
>>
>>47917046
Unlikely.
>>
>>47917046
You never know til you try, anon.
>>
File: Calendar_88155.jpg (59 KB, 400x386) Image search: [Google]
Calendar_88155.jpg
59 KB, 400x386
>>47917099
I think that the standard D&D portrayal is the spoopiest looking so I prefer it. Especially the freaky vampiric ones.

Bonus points to the DS ones with the bells
>>
File: Mindflayer Muscleman.png (618 KB, 496x575) Image search: [Google]
Mindflayer Muscleman.png
618 KB, 496x575
>>47917091
This fucking guy has to be the BBEG of something
>>
>>47917248
THOON is already a pretty good BBEG.
>>
File: female illithid.jpg (44 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
female illithid.jpg
44 KB, 350x350
>>47917248

>Be part of the team exploring unknown parts of the far realm
>Come in contact with Thoon
>Get Swole
>Punk the nerd ass illithids who didn't get swole on Thoon
>Fuck all the Illithid bitches
>>
>>47917319
>Illithid bitches
About that...
Mind flayers are hermaphrodites with cloacae. Any given one you see a depiction of could have started as a girl.
>>
>>47917364

Yes I'm aware. If I ever find myself in an ERP or, god forbid, ever ran one if it started with tits it's keeping the tits
>>
>>47917412
Such entry-level xenophilia.
>>
>>47917539

I've been here long enough to know how far the rabbit hole goes and I'm quite fine where I'm at.
>>
>>47917607
Plebeian.
>>
>>47916015
I had a 2ed Spelljammer campaign back in the day where a good aligned party of mostly clerics and Paladins was recruited (willingly not mind controlled or their divine powers wouldn't work) by mind flayers to save them from a pissed off lich.

The lich had his lady brain eaten in life by them and became a necromancer when he figured out that undead scare the hell out of mindflayers. He would basically show up in orbit and rain armies of ghouls lead by wights onto them until the entire slave population was converted and the flayers were overrun.

The whole thing got flip turned upside down when the party actually talked to the guy. They had all chosen Helm as their god for the sake of party unity. Helm allows the creation of undead from willing dead.

So the Lich argued that the overwhelming majority of the slaves would chose undeath and revenge over slavery and eventual devouring. The lich told them that when his crusade was over he would order the undead to end themselves (you can order undead to do that in 2ed) if they so chose.

And that is how Malaki the Unflayable and our PCs ensured that our future Spell Jammer games had no Mindflayers (or Neoghi) but ghouls, ghouls errywhere. Entire spheres of them with fully developed civilizations.
>>
File: LoveAndTentacles.jpg (124 KB, 361x628) Image search: [Google]
LoveAndTentacles.jpg
124 KB, 361x628
>>47916015
>Today, I got an ultrasound of my child.
>So let's have a thread about illithids.

Behold I have planted my parasitic young in the belly of this woman. Now she will endure months of swelling and nausea until she finally ruptures; and my screaming spawn forces it's way out of her body through her genitalia!!!!!!!
>>
>>47917697
>trusting le happy lich
Man your PCs are dumb.
>>
File: owlbear.jpg (197 KB, 742x614) Image search: [Google]
owlbear.jpg
197 KB, 742x614
Today, I traded in the coinage I had been saving for three years.

So let's have a thread about owlbears. They're cool. Any art or interesting fluff would be appreciated.
>>
>>47917749
That was the exact reason, really. It looks like a humanoid tadpole, which made me think of illithids because I'm a dork.

The only real difference is which hole you put the tadpole in.
>>
>>47917761
Could one ceremorph an owlbear?

Just curious, I am not a thrall to the glorious illithid master race.
>>
>>47917754
He kept his side of it. Roughly 85% of the undead chose self termination. The ones that were left organized themselves on the principal of a sort of undead libertarianism.

Basically they hated the idea of enslavement (being mindflayer thralls then undead) that they organized their society so they only preyed on the non sentient or evil races. They don't really convert anyone since they eat them, although living members of their planets do chose to join them sometimes.Almost all of those become Wights. Also if they admire an enemy they will kill them then let them rise and chose joining them or permanent termination.

The Lich Malaki is in 'semi retirement' trying to find some sort of path to convert the ghouls into wights and make the wights less dependent on draining life force. He more or less is trying to create a race of immortals that anyone can join.

He used wishes to reinforce his orders of freedom on them so they can be turned or destroyed but they cannot be commanded.

Pros: Wants to create a universal libertarian paradise of free willed immortals.
Cons: Omniversal Undeath.
>>
File: thecallingofinspiro.jpg (152 KB, 650x650) Image search: [Google]
thecallingofinspiro.jpg
152 KB, 650x650
>>47917857
Can we name your child /op/?
>>
>>47918120
Liches are Always Evil.

Brilliant plan putting him in control of the universe.
>>
>>47918189
I'm not naming it Thoon.
>>
>>47918191
The DM ruled that the the fact that he specifically worded his wishes to prevent him from controlling them changed his alignment from LE to LN with the approval/judgement of the gods. He isn't in charge of it, it is a more or less democratic and the undead have mixed feelings about him so while they will listen to him they do not want him be in charge or even run for office. Technically he could try to get elected to government but it would cause civil strife so he doesn't and he isn't interested in it anyway. Also the living on their worlds get to vote and although they are only about 10% of the population they each get 3 votes so they would tip the scales against any attempt by him to seize office. Everyone panders to the living out of genuine care and the fact that they are the only people in the entire realm who can break the rules Malaki created, including himself.

We brought up the question of how he could be Lawful Neutral having created such a chaotic civilization and the DM pointed out that he is the most Lawful person in the realm having created all the rules himself and having made sure that both himself and the society are literally incapable of breaking them. Only a few rules but the undead can't break them nor can Malaki. When even you are not above the rules and you are not a total twat: LN not LE.

Malaki by personality would almost be CN with goodish tendencies (if not for his revenge thing against the Mind Flayers and willingness to convert their slaves) but because he kept up his bargain with the PCs he literally trapped himself into being LN.

In theory he would be CN or even CG if he leaves the realm he created as an individual but the DM decided that his sense of responsibility towards his creation makes him a defacto ambassador for them so that is not an issue unless they decided to exile him.
>>
>>47918514
Just plain stupid. The rituals to become a lich are so heinous they are elementally capital "E" Evil, but this one's a nice chap when you get to know him. I mean, what's a few raped babies between friends?
>>
>>47918574
Exacpt that 2ed got rid of that and had a dozen types of Lich, not only allowing for liches of any alignment but a few that REQUIRED they be good aligned.

Hell they even started that in 1st ed, they were kinda important in Dragonlance which had NG elven liches.
>>
>>47918656
There is like one kind of good lich, who must be an elf, and one neutral. Otherwise all your dry and bane and far liches are fucking evil. Please, enlighten me as to what kind of lich he was. If he's a plain ass lich, he's Always Evil.

Good necromancers is the worst meme.
>>
>>47918120
>he's a nice guy because his genocides were justified
Radovan Karadžić? Is that you?
>>
>>47918775

The Spectral Savant from Complete Psionics could be a good lich as the ritual to become one doesn't have to be evil in any specific way.

Although you still have to get around needing PP because you no longer generate it yourself but you could say your Spectral Savant is like a guardian or whatever and you pay him in letting him take some of your PP in exchange for something.
>>
I just wanted to talk about illithids. Why the fighting?
>>
>>47918775
>Good necromancers is the worst meme.
Hi Spoony
>>
>>47919047
because the debate on undead magic regardless of what the edition or setting or GM have stated for a particular game
>>
File: 200px-Sabriel_Book_Cover.jpg (26 KB, 200x332) Image search: [Google]
200px-Sabriel_Book_Cover.jpg
26 KB, 200x332
>>47918775
>Good necromancers is the worst meme
Nigger, I will fucking cut you.
>>
>tfw DM tricks me into a relationship with a mindflayer

Never risking in-game relationships again.
>>
>>47918775
From what the DM said he was a Archlich who started out in righteous vengeance mode, became LE while waging his war against the Flayers and choosing ever more ruthless tactics then started re-examining himself when he was winning and the party intervened.

>>47918814
Everyone he killed was psionically enslaved food and slaves. The players actually discussed the ethics of attacking the mindflayers slaves.

Since you want to bring up Le War crimes and Le Genocide: One of the players brought up the fact that escaped jews during WW2 had begged the allies to bomb the death camps. Yes prisoners would die BUT preventing them from operating would save more lives in the long run. Malaki argued that destroying the Mindflyers society even at the cost of their victims would save more lives in the long run and he was right.

In WW2 the only reason the allies didn't bomb the camps was that disrupting the German rail lines and defeating them was the most expediant way to save lives since most of the deaths had already happened. However what we faced was on a much larger scale, half a dozen spheres.

So yes there was genocide. However in this case the greater good WAS Genocide, specifically the (near) genocide of the Mindflayers and the Neoghi.

I stick by the parties decision, Ghoul Space may be disturbing and eventually very problematic in the long term but it is a far more desirable situation than having the likes of Mind Flayers and Neogi potentially running the universe.
>>
File: Mindflayer Knight.jpg (798 KB, 1100x2075) Image search: [Google]
Mindflayer Knight.jpg
798 KB, 1100x2075
>>47919047
And talking about non-alhoon necromancers at that

Pic related is a heavily armoured mindflayer, OC courtesy of a good ol' /tg/ drawthread
>>
>>47918208
>it
Come on lads, he is already half way there.
>>
>>47918208
You damn well know you are
>>
>>47919131
Great book brought up by a great anon.

Would they be Bards considering their necromancy relied on and was channeled through bells?
>>
>>47919167
What else do you call a non-sapient being of unknown sex?
>>
>>47919153
Mind flayer body tamers are awesome.
>>
File: laughing-xeno-scum.jpg (71 KB, 584x466) Image search: [Google]
laughing-xeno-scum.jpg
71 KB, 584x466
>>47917539
>>47917412
Alien DFC is the best
>>
>>47919047
Guy who mentioned the undead vs Mindflayers campaign here. I read the OP and just mentioned my experience with Mindflyers.

I forgot that undead cause huge debates like crazy, amplified because in early editions Intelligent undead are Mindflayer Kryptonite since they are immune to almost anything a mindflayer can do.

Then i got into a DnD alignment/ethics debate about free willed undead vs mind controlled slaves. Well by the withered scrotal d20s of Gary Gygax's corpse i must carry on for the honor of my DM who i have not seen for over 20 years!

>>47919118
>regardless of what the edition or setting or GM have stated for a particular game

Amen to this.
>>
>>47919147
Your literally worse than Stalin PCs do realize you can free thralls without exterminating them, right?
>>
>>47919153
What do you think illithid clerics are like?

Imagine one with divine magic.
>>
>>47916069
>(you)
>>
>>47919216
They wouldn't fall into the standard DnD classes. Their necromancy utilizes Charter-bound music to perform wild magic, they use Charter Magic as well, and most of them are decent with a weapon.
>>
>>47919216
It could be and was channeled through any form of music, even whistling.

Each specific note had a purpose, it's just the bells the best tools.

So yeah, a bard variable most likely.
>>
>>47918120
Undead necromancer starting a race of undead... Sylvanas Windrunner is that you?
>>
>>47918775
I mean... you don't have to stay the alignment you once were.

He can have done horrible, horrible things to become a lich, then had a change of heart several thousand years down the line. Plenty of time for self-reflection and soul searching. Nothing but time, really. All the time the universe has to offer.
>>
>>47919229
dat boi
>>
SO HOW ABOUT THOSE ILLITHILICHES.
>>
>>47920071
Kekekekek
>>
>>47919298
Yes, we were going to free them one by one in the middle of planetary battles numbering millions on each side. I'm sure you think the allies in WW2 should have resolved the conflict by intellectually debating each axis soldier one by one until all of them were convinced how wrong they were instead of resorting to violence as well right?

They did free thralls when they could, them and Malaki came up with a specific strategy for it. The PCs got broken up up into hit squads, the PCs would have a bag of bones and a squad of juju zombies. Whenever he could identify a group of flayers leading a major group of thralls he would teleport them in, the PCs would use the bag of bones to drown the flayers guards in skeletons ordered to just immobilize them then the ju ju zombies would scramble over the mess and slaughter the flayers. The PCs each had crawling claws clamped on their wrists and ankles with orders to immobilized them if they got mind controlled with a fifth instructed to clamp their mouths shut if they were mind controlled into trying to circumvent the undeads orders or cast spells.

This is where everyone being a follower of Helm (who is OK with commanding undead) came in handy. You can't command or turn a crawling claw but you can turn over control of it. So once Malaki gave them to the PCs he couldn't control them which is the only reason we allowed it. One of the clerics actually did a commune spell to see if Helm considered crawling claws 'intelligent' or 'unwilling'.

Helm (the DM) said no, although they have animal intelligence it is only an amplified version of the residual memory that lets skeletons use common place objects. Crawling claws are smarter than skeletons because they are mentally linked to their controller which both protects them from being turned and are imbued with a fraction of his/her intellect which is why there is a limit to how many you can control. We learned WAY too much about the things.
>>
>>47918775
>Good necromancers is the worst meme
I am triggered
>>
>>47920155
Pelor wills it!
>>
>>47919842
it was about 25 years ago so probably not. At the time the 2ed option books had just came out and all the GM had were the necromancers handbook, the Richthofens guides and the historical campaign book for Rome. That last one was a bitch and worse than the flayers or Ghoul Space.

You think misguided Lich creates morally ambiguous space undead republic while committing justified genocide is bad?

That asshole put a Roman Empire into the Forgotten realms south east of waterdeep on the coast between the realms and the Arabs. Or more properly, the Empire of Kurtulmak. Before it was cool or before /tg/ (or 4chan) existed he gave us Kobolds in Phalanxes.

>Every fuck door or corridor 4 feet tall and 2 feet wide
>Rooms 20 feet long, 10 feet wide. Ceiling 4 feet tall.
>Fucking room is filled with 40 Kobolds in a phalanx with banded mail, body shields, short sword and spears
>This isn't a fortress we are invading, we wandered into a small guard post next to the inn on the road
>>
>>47916125
I thought that was a pretty clear premise, OP, that guy's just being a wad.
>>
>>47920429
I didn't make the jump, but I know little of ithilids, and once explained to me I thought it perfectly fine.

might have helped to mention the connection, just to cue in know-nothings like me, or imperceptive grouches like anon.
>>
>>47920072
> ILLITHILICHES

Total pain in the ass.

Three kinds:

1: Psionic mind flayer lich who in life rebels against the Ithilid hivemind/god and becomes undead through psychic disciplines. Detailed in Von Richthofen guide to the lich. It also mentions that while undead are immune to mind control/telepathy/psionics those powers can be used to speak to the undead in question if it chooses.

2: Flayer who learns magic and becomes a lich the normal way. Also probably a rebel.

3: Flayer brought back as 'other' intelligent undead. While Flayer Wights or Ghouls might be scary, a Flayer Vampire is lovecraft tier horror. Worse case scenario: FlayerRevenant. Congratulations, you have a pissed off undead mindflayer version of Wolverine after you. Who the fuck did you piss opff to deserve that?
>>
>>47919466
>illithid paladin of tyranny
>>
>>47920668
The party thinks they can handle a solitary illithid?

Suddenly, Smite Good, Ilsensine wills it.

Could be hilarious.
>>
>>47917248
>>47917293
I never could find the fluff about it what is Thoon?
>>
>>47920668
>>47919466
Clerics of Bane. Given the nature of their god, their special abilities and the high WIS score of your typical high level cleric of Bane the high levels of their religion have nothing to fear from Mind Flayers.

Their religion is compatible with slavery and mind control, adopting Bane as a patron allows a Mind Flayer to avoid getting his soul devoured by his races hive mind when he dies.

Besides becoming undead or joining with demonic powers (or good powers, even more unlikely) Bane of a similar religion is the only long term option for a independently minded Mind Flayer.
>>
>>47920819
While true, illithids do have conventional clerics of their specific god, who gives out divine magic.
>>
>>47920812
No one knows. A group of mind flayers from the 3e Monster Manual 5 worship it, but the book deliberately never tells you what it is.

I really liked the later 3e monster manuals. Once the writers got the obligatory Demon/Devil/Dragon/Drow standard monsters out of the way, they wrote some really imaginative stuff.
>>
>>47920812
Thoon is Thoon and Thoon is all.
>>
File: ilithisaur.jpg (95 KB, 960x607) Image search: [Google]
ilithisaur.jpg
95 KB, 960x607
>>47917957
Everything can be ceremorphed, if you're the DM and you will it.
>>
Ive played an Illithid Psionic in a lv 10 evil campaign. Was the head of my local chapter of the esoteric order of dagon. Ah yes, invading the minds of the enemy and willing them to walk into fire was a great acheivement. Ive made many of enemy take their own lives.
>>
>>47919466
Thoon has clerics. Since Thoon flayers have abilities that cost hit points, healers are pretty awesome offensively.
>>
>>47920668
>illithid paladin of freedom
>freedom from THE SUN
>SMITE THE TYRANNICAL OVERLORD THAT FILLS THE SKIES WITH DEATH
>>
>>47920879
All of which result in the Mindflayer Cleric being devoured by their races God.

If a mind flayer wants to have an independent existence as a a individual it must leave it's race and religion. Asking a mind flayer if it wants to be independent is like asking a Necromancer if he wants to be a Lich. The answer is always yes but they are worried that they will be attacked for becoming immortal.
>>
>>47918775

...there's nothing in the requirements of Archlich that include being an elf, to my knowledge.
>>
>>47918191
>Liches are Always Evil.
Only if you're a hack DM who does everything in the most generic and boring way possible.
>>
>>47920819
*big guy joke*
>>
>>47920587
how can you lich when you don't have bones?

is it just sentient toothbeaks?
>>
>>47918775
>>47919087
>>47919131
>>47919895
>>47920155
>>47921105
Hey, all you assholes hold up right now!

Despite the fact that me and my friends have been having fun playing our DnD game for over 20 years we will invalidate our last two decades of fun because some troll on 4chan can't understand the idea of a sympathetic Lich.

So please, tell me how to tell my gaming group of 20+ years to fuck off because you say there is no such thing as a Lich who isn't a total asshole?

Also, please tell me how you don't like our imaginary games and why we should instead make our imaginary games conform to your idea of what our games should be like.

Please tell me again, why don't you like my imaginary games and why i should make them more like yours?

>>47921105
Archlich is just a neutral or good lich, there are no requirements.
>>
One, illithids obviously have endoskeletons and you are stupid.

Two, they look kind of like a dried octopus.
>>
>>47921273
why did you include me in your rant when I was agreeing with you?

Makes me think you're just looking to bait now.
>>
>>47921078
>Asking a mind flayer if it wants to be independent is like asking a Necromancer if he wants to be a Lich.
No. Mind flayers are generally content in their psychic police state until one realizes the elder brain won't actually make his mind immortal. Or until one's a freak, like a sorceror. Or just a normal rebel.

All of which are rare.
>>
>>47921273
Technically, there ARE good liches. In several settings, in fact - both FR and Eberron come to mind. Don't mind the morons.
>>
>>47921273
Most of these were agreeing with you, Summer. Learn2Read
>>
>>47921169
Totally gonna make a Bane Death Knight now

.>>47921231
They have flesh and sort of bones. Mindflayar undead are kinda like a humanoid man sized octopus turned into leather then made undead. They do have something like skeletons but they are made of cartilage not bone. Mindflayers can be turned into zombies but not skeletons, their cartilage can't support the weigh of their bodies.

My childhood campaign went way too far into how various races would deal with undead and/or become them.

A mindflayer Demi lich would be just beak teeth and dangerous gems. It's phylactery/skull would probably be attached the the biggest damn kraken you ever saw and it would be hiding 6 miles underwater for 1000 years.
>>
>>47916445
>every class but druid
Ithillid Savant could get around that restriction.
>>
>>47921351
Right. They can zombie, but not skelly. Liches are skelly.
So... How do?
>>
>>47921273
literally only the first one you quoted was disagreeing with you. Take a break. Chill out. Maybe go get a hotpocket. You've been posting too long.
>>
>>47920587
>FlayerRevenant. Congratulations, you have a pissed off undead mindflayer version of Wolverine after you.
Well then.
>>
Sup /tg

I love the underdark, especially after reading the Drizzt series. I am going to be running a campaign based mostly in the Underdark and i was wondering if any of you guys have some ideas or imput?

Has anyone run a campaign in the underdark before? if so what was fun / what should i avoid?

Obviously i am going to include illithids
>>
>>47921328
Didn't mean to exclude, sorry. How did i offend you by not arguing with you?
>>
File: 01125647.jpg (161 KB, 894x894) Image search: [Google]
01125647.jpg
161 KB, 894x894
>>47921369
>They can zombie, but not skelly. Liches are skelly.
Liches are as much rotting flesh as bones. It's only when progressing to a Demilich that all the flesh wastes away, leaving only a single bony remnant of the body intact (usually but not always the skull).
Presumably, illithiliches can't become demiliches.
>>
>>47921467
>Presumably, illithiliches can't become demiliches.
Not with that attitude they can't.
>>
>>47921369
If illithids had no cartilage or bones, they wouldn't be able to stand up in the first place. Whatever they've got, use that.
>>
>>47921467
demilich is only skull though...

So does it start from zombie, and continue to decay until it hits skeleton, then decay further by losing control of the bones one by one until nothing but the head is left?
>>
>>47921528
they could just have strong muscles pulling in counterpoint.
>>
>>47921517
What I meant to say is: "What's to stop one using their considerable psionic and magical power to provide a connection between the bony part of their body and the Gems that isn't physical?"
>>
>>47921078
Ilsensine is a pretty bro god who gives you access to a unique domain of divine magic for being an illithid, which is really all he asks from you. I mean, he supports the mind players despite worship being apathetic at best and the fact he didn't create them. He even sends them avatars despite them, again, not really caring about him. Plus, wherever an illithid's soul ends up after death, anywhere is preferable to the Wall of the Faithless.
>>
>>47921369
>They can zombie, but not skelly. Liches are skelly.
So... How do?

Mindflayer corpses don't have skeletons but their cartilage provides enough support. Imagine the body of a Mind flayer Lich as having the consistency of a smoked and preserved Great White Shark. Like instead of drying a salmon or cod as food you were drying out the body of of a mind flayer. Then you salt it, bury it for a half a year to turn it into jerky. Then a necromancer brings it back.

It's body is basically undead beef jerky and cartilage made of iron.
>>
>>47921528
Illithids certainly have skulls, which have even been pictured. They have four holes for the tentacles.
>>
File: Dunwich_Horror_Russell's_Guide.png (1 MB, 714x924) Image search: [Google]
Dunwich_Horror_Russell's_Guide.png
1 MB, 714x924
>>47916015
>Today, I got an ultrasound of my child.

>So let's have a thread about illithids.
D U N W I C H
U
N
W
I
C
H
>>
>>47921367
What would an illithid Underdruid be like?
>>
>>47921517
>>47921467
Skull+Teeth=Skull+Beak. A illithilich demi lich would use it's beak instead of it's teeth for soul gems.
>>
>>47921588
I'm honestly not sure. Psionics and Druid Stuff is kind of a weird combination .
>>
>>47921588
In tune with the brain morsels.

"AGH MY LEG YOU CRUSHED MY LEG"
>"Tell us, Lithrix, what does the morsel say?"
"WHAT DID YOU DO TO MY LEG?"
>"My connection to the powers of nature tells me that the creature is in pain."
>>
>>47921588
Grows semi sentient fungus as a farmer. Probably has a few hundred fungus people who are his friends half the time and want to murder him the other times.
>>
File: blemaffair.jpg (131 KB, 635x357) Image search: [Google]
blemaffair.jpg
131 KB, 635x357
>>47921629
Did somebody mention Blemmigans?
>>
>>47921629
This, also using Psionically attuned Cordyceps to control creatures.
>>
File: Cthulhu Colouring Book.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Cthulhu Colouring Book.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>47916015
CONGRATS fem-anon!

I'm sure this coloring book will help with enriching your child's development!
>>
>>47921599
don't soul gems normally go in the eyes though?
>>
>>47921651
see, I assumed it was the dad humblebragging, as expectant fathers are wont to do.
>>
>>47921655
that means with an Ithillid Skull you can mount six of them, not counting those present in the beak segments, that's one in each eye and four in the tentacle holes.
>>
>>47921623
I can sway the beasts of the nature.
And then if they still won't listen, I hijack their brains and make them do it anyways, with a followup of making them into tacos de sesos as punishment for their initial defiance.
>>
>>47921655
Teeth. A demi Liches teeth are where the soul gems go because teeth are the hardest part of a human body to destroy.

Since the same principals about destroying bodies would apply to a illithilich than it is logical you would have to destroy their beak, the only really solid part of their body and much tougher than human teeth.

Could make a neat plot point: pick up a beak that looks like a weird seashell on the beach, suddenly one of your PCS is communing with a illithilich whenever they sleep.
>>
File: sweaty-man-cartoon-230x300.jpg (16 KB, 230x300) Image search: [Google]
sweaty-man-cartoon-230x300.jpg
16 KB, 230x300
>>47919466
>Illithids with Summon Monster IX
>Blasphemy
>Hold Monster
>Mage's Disjunction
>Antimagic Field
>Discern Location
>>
I have a feeling that an Ithillid Alchemist or Artificer would be somewhat broken.
>>
>>47921799
>as you close on the lone illithid, it calls upon the power of its god
>a Colossal fiendish spider appears before you
>for the first time, you hear an illithid giggle
>>
I've got to say the worst part about Malaki's war with the Mindflayers was when the DM only had me and one other PC show up for the game, we raided a Flayer food factory.

It was me playing Malaki and the ranger since no one else showed up for the game. Malaki was a 26th level Lich and the ranger was 14th level. We teleported into a flayer food factory that was basically breeding pens producing babies as delicacies.

In a previous session the ranger had swiped a wish scroll from Malaki and Malaki asked for it back. The Ranger gave it to him. He used it to "make the next creatures i summon stay in this realm forever if they wish as well as their spawn" then cast summon shadow.

Malaki had the shadows kill and convert every woman and infant in the entire complex into shadows. Then they more or less exterminated half the planets population before the flayers got enough thralls with light and protection spells to hold them at bay.

All of the women and kids were dead and turned into shadows within a single day. The guy playing the Ranger (Ed) was pretty awesome about it, his character was PTSD over the whole thing as he had actually saved a kid but she got mortally wounded by a thrall. She asked to stay with him and Malaki immediately had a shadow convert her. At the end almost all the shadows chose to move on but the kid didn't want to leave the Ranger so she stayed with him. He obsessively wears a cloak with the hood pulled up because the shadows of his cloak is where she hides if he is in full daylight.

The player Ed worked it pretty well, he was very careful to never specify why his character preferred dark places and he never had the shadow do anything obvious. He even played the Shadow as a PC every now and then, 'Karin' was just a crew member on their ship as far as they knew.
>>
>>47921829
Those are both already canon things.
>>
>>47916445
>>47916866

Wait. There are Illithids who don't look like Illithids?
>>
>>47922299
You know, illithids think brains without memories and life experiences are horribly bland.
>>
>>47922313
Yeah, sometimes ceremorphosis doesn't fully take, so you have something that is internally an illithid but looks like just some guy.

The other illithids bully them into being infiltrators.
>>
>>47922333
But they also have food requirements as well a cultural tastes. They could eat cattle or pig brains but choose to eat sentient creatures to absorb memories and knowledge. They eat infants, kids and terrified puppies because they enjoy their emotional content.

Babies would be a delicacy because they alone combine sentience with an emotional sense of wonderment as well as a ignorance of the fact that their brains are about to get eaten.

Babies are the mindflayer equivalent of lamb.
>>
>>47922354

>>47922354
Yeah, I ended up googling this, and found out about the Voidmind creatures. Jesus.

Also, Illithid Dragons are terrifying as well.
>>
>>47922467
>Voidmind creatures
Jesus Christ how horrifying.
>>
>>47922467
>Illithid Dragons

I am convinced that Illithid Dragons are the sole reason such things as Ancient Celestial Dragon Draco-Liches exist. If your planet is infested with Illithid Dragons then the only rational answer to that problem is a half mile long spell-jamming undead monster that will literally dig into your planets crust to eradicate the problem.
>>
>>47922551
>eradicate the problem.
And the planet.
>>
>>47922417
>They could eat cattle or pig brains
They could not. It must be sapient or they will starve to death.
>They eat infants, kids and terrified puppies because they enjoy their emotional content.
No they don't. They don't even like eating the brains of dumb or boring adults.
>>
>>47922719

Do they ever try to eat Nothic brains?
>>
>>47922746
Fairly certain aberrations aren't edible either. Unsure though.
>>
>>47922580
Well yeah. Duh.

Besides inter--dimensional invasion (Angels, Demons, Devils, Elementals, ect ) or undead infestation how else do you deal with a Illithid Dragon dominated planet?

I suppose using lycanthropy as a weakening tactic would be effective but eventually you got to go into the crust and dig those fuckers out. Illithids can plane shift and live in the deepest parts of the crust. To beat them seriously you need to make the planet uninhabitable for them (undead, demons, werewolves everywhere, ect) to return to. Or just wreak the place permanently which is where the Ancient Celestial Dragon dracolich comes into play.

Even then Illithids can plane shift, to truly chase them down and get rid of them forever you need something heavy like a dozen of the most bad ass Lichs in the universe lead by Lord Soth and Baron Strad with the personal blessing of Takhisis.

Now that i think of it, that's my next campaign.

(continued)
>>
>>47922835
Dirty dozen: DnD version.

>Takhisis summons Soth, Strahd
>"The Illithids have gone too far, eradicate them"
>Strahd: "I am not sure why i am here or how i am here but surely they are too difficult to completely eradicate Lady whoever you are..."
>Soth: "we would need much magic to do that my Lady...
>Takhisis: "you doubt my plan???
>Soth and Strahd look at their feet uncomfortably...
>Takhisis: What do you need?
> Strahd: "Um, i know a Lich but he might not be enough, we might need more...
>Soth: "indeed..."
>Takhisis: "So get me Liches...."
>Soth: "um.... which Liches my Lady?"
>Takhisis: "ALL OF THE FUCKING LICHES!"
>>
>>47922941
>ALL OF THE FUCKING LICHES!
Brilliant!
>>
>>47922947

Dirty dozen:

Lord Soth
Vampire floating head Kitiara
Baron Strahd
Azalin Rex
Vecna
Kas the bloody Handed
Kurtulmak
Mellifleur
Thulsa Doom
Kyuss
Yeenoghu

Need two more....
>>
>>47923056
Got the last two:

Loth
Stormbringer and it's sidekick Elric.
>>
>>47922822

Huh. I would have thought they'd be all over those sweet Nothic brains.

Unless Nothics don't have biological brains.
>>
>>47922719
>>47922746
>>47922822
>>47923101
Well 20+ years ago in the campaign i played they could eat the brains of non sentients, spelljammer even had an official LG Mind Flayer Paladin.

Damn you all, i'll have to edit out of my life my many hours of enjoyment roleplaying as a youth to reflect the latest edition that i've never read.

Curse you, your knowledge of a more recent version of a RPG has invalidated my childhood memories of a game of D@D that most likely started before you were born!

It really is weird, there is like this 25 year long hole in my memory now that is completely empty due to your posts. I think i'll try to fill that hole with this new RPG i just discovered, it is amazing in how realistic it is:

>>>/out/
>>
>>47923251
Well...okay then...apart from LG Mind Flayer Paladin,nothing else in your post made any sense at all.
>>
>>47923251
>Well 20+ years ago in the campaign i played
Emphasis on your campaign. The fucking Illithiad is what said they had to eat sapient brains, and that's why Spelljammer, which you supposedly know all about, had them use a self-aware mold. They were literally physically incapable of what we'd call positive emotions. Not being a psychopath would be insanity to an illithid.

Protip: the good flayer was in BoED, which was both retarded and not Spelljammer.

Don't get upset because you're spouting fanfiction and are wrong.
>>
>>47923056
Half of these aren't even liches. Step it up senpai.
>>
>>47923251

What arebyou even on about? Did someome personally rape your childhood memories by talking about the lore?

Aounds like Mindflayer work to me.
>>
>>47922947
This is how I see Takhisis when she says it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrTsuvykUZk
>>
>>47921338
Good liches in Eberron? I dunno... I mean, propably somewhere, yeah, but despite similarities, Deathless are not liches (or even undead). If you get high enough in Blood of Vol hierarchy to be able to turn into lich (remember, high level NPCs are extremely rare in Eberron, unlike FR when every fucking innkeeper is level 20 ex-adventurer), you should know what's really going on with the cult, and if you're OK with that, you're not good anymore.
Thread replies: 157
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.