[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Unarmored monks
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4
File: 1401009313978.jpg (124 KB, 801x996) Image search: [Google]
1401009313978.jpg
124 KB, 801x996
Actual monks not wearing armor aside, where does the concept of monks being supernaturally agile when completely unencumbered?
Is it just D&D or there's more to it?

I'm kind of a newfag here so i'd be glad to hear how the whole thing evolved throughout the years
>>
>>47905169
1d4chan.org
this is where all new fags to this board should go. it explains all
>>
Hong Kong movies that had shaolin monks portrayed as martial arts killing movies punching and kicking everything to pieces. Real shaolin monks also are good martial artists, but they also train to use weapons and even armor I think despite their usual portrayal in movies.
>>
File: kung fuhrer.gif (3 MB, 632x346) Image search: [Google]
kung fuhrer.gif
3 MB, 632x346
I don't know how you missed the kung fu movies and crazy amazing monk feats. In the movies especially, it's a celebration of physical skill without any reliance on armor or even weapons in most cases.
>>
>>47905203
Duh, meant killing machines, but I guess it's obvious enough.
>>
File: s46h6s.jpg (89 KB, 720x576) Image search: [Google]
s46h6s.jpg
89 KB, 720x576
>>47905169
You want my advice?

Don't play a monk, monks are for wussies and weirdos! Play a paladin, paladins are the superior class, especially when you get powers of eeevvviiilll! Become an oathbreaker or death knight and serve me and conquer the world!

Myaaah haaah haaa!
>>
>>47905217
It's not like i missed. But in wuxia people tend to wear light armor and still get away with ludicrous moves. Also sometimes it's also amazing skill with specific weapons.
Yet in some games like D&D I see the unarmored requisite for all that stuff and wonder why even a little +1 to armor makes it all forbidden
>>
>>47905276
"Because an older edition did it".
So it goes for many things in DnD, and even other games cargo-cult it sometimes without knowing why.
>>
>>47905276
Lots of older movies had more unarmored puching and kicking style rather than light armor with weapons. Also wuxia is bit different genre than kung fu movies which monks are based on.
>>
>>47905169
I'm serious here, try playing not D&D.

Savage Worlds lets you be a heavy armored monk who can fly around. So many other systems could, too.
>>
>>47905276
D&D has a warped and narrow view of everything it does.
>>
File: Nunchuck.jpg (36 KB, 180x365) Image search: [Google]
Nunchuck.jpg
36 KB, 180x365
>>47905169
I once played a Monk that had sworn off violence but was forced to defend his monestary from viking raiders, with naught but his fists and faith.

I was "that guy" in a far east campaign based on bad kung fu movies...loved it.
>>
>>47905186

>1d4chan.org

I'd only recommend this site for newfags if someone went in and cleaned it up. New people reading it will get the wrong idea because it's full of jokes which haven't been funny in years.
>>
It's also partially based off of shaolin training techniques, where their flesh becomes hard enough to resist strangulation, break stones, or stop spears (within reason)
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.