[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Weapons made of heavy metal, how would this affect damage?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: 1466515360526.jpg (129 KB, 528x799) Image search: [Google]
1466515360526.jpg
129 KB, 528x799
Suppose I give one of my players a (unmagical/mundane) sword or mace made of an especially dense metal, like, I dunno, uranium or plutonium or osmium (of course I'd change the name to something fantasy-like so it wouldn't be jarring), how would this affect base damage?
For example, in D&D 3.x:
A Medium steel Battleaxe for medium creatures weighs 6 lbs according to the Player's Handbook.
Making it out of uranium (almost 3x density) would make it around 18 lbs.
Would that affect damage? Or is that not enough of a weight increase to warrant such?
What about made-up metals that are extremely dense, that would make it weigh, say, 90 lbs.
Would that be enough to, say, make it count as a weapon sized for Large creatures, along with the penalty to attacks?
What about autistically heavy weapons? Like, say, pic related (in real-world myth, if I recall correctly, nothing's special about Mjolnir by itself except it weighs 2 tons), or you're fighting an avatar of the Demigod of Blades and his is somehow made of the material of the core of a dwarf star, which would weigh (if my math is right) about 255 tons. Assuming he has the Strength score of, I think, 82-85 minimum to swing that sucker around, what would happen if it happened to connect with your player's sternum?
>>
For something like 5e, add a strength requirement and give it +1 damage on top of normal damage.
>>
Now what if a big guy wore full-plate forged from a dwarf star? What would be the AC of that thing?
>>
>>47890498
Immortals Handbook.
>>
>>47890646
Stellar
>>
File: 1446689855855.gif (2 MB, 256x192) Image search: [Google]
1446689855855.gif
2 MB, 256x192
>>47890962
>>
>>47890498
>Weapons made of heavy metal
I thought you put the concept of the musci in the waepon. That would be badass.

Other then that heavier waeapons would be good for maces, but realsiticaly despite increased desnity tensile propritities would be worse so no use for swords.
>>
>>47890498
>>foreordained

Okay no way that's a real fucking word and by some miracle it is he still should have used foretold or just ordained

Idk how /co/ can stomach half the trash that gets put out
>>
File: Foreordained.png (9 KB, 646x168) Image search: [Google]
Foreordained.png
9 KB, 646x168
>>47891563
oops
>>
On that note: Would there be any advantages to a weapon material that was half as heavy as steel, but unchanged in every other way?
>>
>>47893056
It would be faster
>>
>>47893137
for you
>>
>>47890498
It wouldn't make it do more damage because you wouldn't be able to swing it as fast. You'd also not be able to parry, and your sword would explode the first time you made contact with something solid.
>>
>>47891563
>>47891590

Fedoras BTFO
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.