[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
[D&D 5th] Class-less PCs?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: DD-Transparent.png (57 KB, 1500x750) Image search: [Google]
DD-Transparent.png
57 KB, 1500x750
I want to try out making all of the class features that classes get when they level up and turn them into feats. Then assign XP cost to all of them and enable players to buy them as they gain XP. Hit Dice and other stuff you gain leveling up would be locked to XP, still have to figure out how to manage the HD, thinking of making some kind of mathematical formula using Strength and Constitution. What d you think guys, can this be done?
>>
Don't play D&D if you want this. Seriously.
>>
Maybe it can be done, but why? What are you trying to achieve that D&D is so critical?

Just play something classless and convert the abilities if you really want to.
>>
>>47870901
M&M 2e or True20.
>>
Everyone else has said what I think.
This is a really dumb and pretty pointless idea. Play another system
>>
>>47870901
With a limitless choice of feats your players will quickly figure out the most efficient path through the chain and turn your game into bollocks. Don't pretend you by yourself will be able to perfectly balance combinations of 100+ feats.

tl;dr don't do it.
>>
>>47870901
You should try DUNGEON WORLD, op! It's really fun and narrative, you can one-shot a dragon if you roleplay in a way youre GM think you are the best in the word!
>>
>>47870901
Literally most d10 systems and White Wolf games work more or less like this. Use another system, it's going to be less of a headache and work a lot better.
>>
>>47870901
Not well. I'd say to get rid of class lines you would have to have at least 3 base classes. A d10 hit die class with all armor and eldritch knight casting, one with d8 hit die, medium armor, and half casting, and a d6 one with light armkor and full casting.

The first two categories get a second attack at 5th level, and you can multi class between them as normal.

Then, you double the XP requirements to level, but give everyone feats way more often. Let most feats be taken more than once.

This does mean certain classes can't be achieved, but it will let people mix and match effects. If they want a Fighter, they can take the first category, pick up a bunch of superiority die and maneuvers from Martial Adept, and go to town.

For learning spells, have Magic Initiate be used to learn them, and add a variant that lets them learn higher level spells at the appropriate levels. Still using the standard ability from the class, so mixing and matching is less helpful, and it should also require learning at least one of each lower level of a class before the higher ones, so you need a level 1and 2 wizard spell to learn a level 3 one.

Make Fighsting Styles a bonus to the Weapon Mastery Feat so long as they have a d8 or better hit dice.

That sort of thing is the only way I can see it working.
>>
>>47870901
No, you're stupid for asking, and if you want something like this play something else.
>>
File: img-thing.jpg (36 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
img-thing.jpg
36 KB, 300x300
Gosh, you guys really think that repetition makes you more persuasive? If a guy wants to experiment with D&D, and you don't, just go to another thread.
>>
>>47875411
The worst offender is >>47875330 who bumped this from dying just to say the exact same thing everyone else did.
>>
File: 1463082217766.jpg (238 KB, 1200x733) Image search: [Google]
1463082217766.jpg
238 KB, 1200x733
>>47870901
This is a bad idea, not because it can't be mechanically done, but because it undermines the conceit of the genre, however it defines itself. As poor of a logical leap as it may seem, class-based systems have at least some underpinning in class-based societal norms that they system portrays. Even if it's not particularly simulationist, ever since D&D was Chainmail, it was portraying a pseudo-pre-hundred-years-war European backdrop for its fiction, and in there, it was deemed appropriate to have a class-based system.

It doesn't translate well to modern settings, for example, which is why D20 Modern is so... weird.

If you want to run a class-less system in a pseudo-historical fantasy setting (which I would find terribly amusing, but that's another thing altogether), then use another system.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.