[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/5eg/ DnD 5th edition general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 28
File: 1400966680029.jpg (17 KB, 309x214) Image search: [Google]
1400966680029.jpg
17 KB, 309x214
Weeb edition

old thread: >>47798022

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

How animu is your character/group/campaign/setting/etc...
>>
My characters are always rather weaboo.
Big sword if I can get away with it, monk if I can't, and my character's theme song is always from some anime.

https://youtu.be/KpuvajowCdg
>>
Daily reminder that playing martial classes is fine, but it is objectively suboptimal.
>>
>>47809800
Good luck getting to the point where casters outshine martials without any martials in the party
>>
>>47809746

One of the players in my group plays a full anime fighter who names their attacks, usually to comedic effect.
>>
>>47808865
Self defense isn't the same as murder.

>>47809108
Bring lube.

>>47809451
Thats fucking dumb
>>
I'm making a level 4 dragonborn fighter for a one shot. He has 18 straight and heavy armor master, and I can't decide a few things.
Should I go in with GWF? Or sword and board and get the defense fighting style?
And either way, ignoring which weapons are a bit better than others, should I go with a bigass sword, axe, or hammer/maul? Whats the coolest thing.
He's going to be really huge.
>>
>>47809932
Shit and now I'm wondering if since its a one shot, what if I just go strength two weapon fighting instead? Would that just be insane?
>>
File: Reynard-the-fox[1].jpg (50 KB, 304x396) Image search: [Google]
Reynard-the-fox[1].jpg
50 KB, 304x396
>>47809746
I'm doing a sort of masked foxfolk/kitsune bard character, what do you recommend I use to create it? Any good and well known source I can use? My GM is worried about those stats and traits calculations etc. It's not even the weeboo type, its those european ones.
>>
>>47809979
Wouldn't be the worst thing. Two weapon fighting works fairly well at low levels before extra attacks come into play.
>>
>>47809932

Do you want to deal more damage or have more AC? that's what it comes down to really.

As far as weapons go, if you have nothing else to do with your bonus action Pole Arm Master is pretty swell.
>>
>>47809746
Not at all, actually.

...oh wait, I *might* have upped the anime ratio somewhat by making a pretty shonen teenage monk. :/ At least I don't play him anime at all, promise!
>>
>>47809990
Are you looking for Racial stats? Because I don't think there's any sort of fox race, and homebrewing it might be tricky.

Consider a Woof Elf or a Lightfoot Halfling, depending on the size, and then re-fluffing as needed.
>>
File: durr.png (45 KB, 609x44) Image search: [Google]
durr.png
45 KB, 609x44
>want to make a stereotypical shadowy ninja with a curved sword
>go way of the shadow monk with criminal background
>realize that scimitar actually isn't on the monks list

I hope I can convince my DM that it will functionally be the same as a fucking shortsword.
>>
>>47810030
I was looking for a homebrew that people had experience with it before and possibly tweaked over many times to be accepted easily by any GM. If this is not possible, is there any advice I could follow, any good sources?
>>
>>47810074
>Use a shortword
>Say it's curved like those tiny samurai swords
>>
>>47810074

why not use a straight ninja-to?
>>
>>47810089
I made a kitsune race for a game I ran, though I can't quite remember the stats, nor where I left them.

I believe it was a boost to Dex and Cha, probably +1 and +2, along with the ability to cast Produce Flame as a cantrip. That's all I can remember off of the top of my head though.
>>
File: Backseid.jpg (56 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
Backseid.jpg
56 KB, 500x375
>>47810030

>Woof Elf
>>
>>47810074
theres literally no description of shortsword in the book. a shortsword could be curved
>>
I'm building NPC villains. I'm using the assassin as the base but I want to make it distinctly dwarven. I'm thinking about switching the strength and dexterity scores and using the dwarf's medium armor proficiency and battle axe proficiency in the stat block. To avoid "how are they sneak attacking without finesse weapons?" I'm thinking about replacing the assassin's sneak attack with the Brute trait from the gladiator and tacking on Colossus Hunter.

Anyone else have suggestions on a very dwarven-flavored assassin NPC stat block?
>>
File: 1296756511260.png (258 KB, 360x540) Image search: [Google]
1296756511260.png
258 KB, 360x540
>>47810116
Was going for a more Chinese-Arabic blend of ninja. It just completely blindsided me that a fucking Dao isn't actually a Monk weapon.
>>
>>47810089

>>47810124 here. Just remembered where my old notes were. I can post them if you think it'd help. What sort of abilities were you looking for?
>>
>>47810160
That sword is closer to a short sword anyway. A scimitar has a curved blade and a curved handle so it's almost a pistol-like grip.
>>
>>47809746
> Characters
TWF ex-pit fighter, simple but reliable. The least animu member of the party, but his sister complex and young age gives him a few points in making him more like a shonen protagonist.
Adorable and pleasant, if slightly sadististic, witch, adorned in the most stereotypical witch attire I could think of, including the wide brimmed, pointy hat. Pretty animu, really.

> Group
Not very in either case, although there are a few examples. Amnesiacs, experiments, and villains-in-disguise, oh my.

> Campaign
The one I'm working on? High magic, cities built in the middle of the ocean, lots of sea travel, elves aplenty (only a few of them are chocolate, I promise). It's pretty anime.
>>
>>47810162
Whimsical abilities like fox fire and stuff like that.
From where do you based of your notes?
>>
>>47810160
Ask yourself this: What weapon did the designers have in mind when they made shortswords a monk weapon?

Were they thinking of the Roman Gladius, or were they thinking of the type of sword in the picture you just posted?

Just use a shortsword and call it whatever chingchong word you want, because it probably fits
>>
>>47810208
Exceptions, rather, not examples.
>>
>>47810169
But a shortsword is still always a piercing weapon, which is the main issue, a dao or similar sabre would be used for slashing and cutting.
>>
>>47809746

Not the party, but the GM.
We're halfway through Ravenloft, and it's like he stole the flavor from Claymore
>>
Is there anyway to flavor a melee weapon as a Scythe?
>>
>>47810249
Yes. Use the statistics for another weapon and call it that. Use some kind of axe's stats.
>>
As far as Kitsune goes, gonna throw this up super duper quickly in five seconds.

+2 Cha, +1 Dex.
Darkvision.
Fey Ancestry (as elven ability).
Proficiency in Deception.
Learns Minor Illusion as cantrip at lv1, 3rd level Faerie Fire 1/long rest, 5th level Alter Self 1/long rest. Charisma is the casting stat.

Maybe replace Faerie Fire with Charm Person.
>>
>>47810227
Use a handaxe. It's dex-able for a Monk, deals a d6 slashing damage. Done.
>>
File: Indian_tulwar_-_talwar_sword.jpg (461 KB, 1920x1234) Image search: [Google]
Indian_tulwar_-_talwar_sword.jpg
461 KB, 1920x1234
>>47810227
A tulwar could be flavored as both a scimitar and a shortsword, because they're a variety of sabre that's capable of piercing attacks as well as the typical slashing/cutting.
Just tell your DM that you want pic related or similar as a shortsword that you can either slash or pierce with.

On that note, it's really silly that longswords, warpicks, scimitars and other weapons that realistically would be used for several types of attacks are limited to just one.
>>
>>47810214
I took some advice from the articles Wizards posted for designing races. I was going a bit more weaboo for mine, but I think one of the subraces I made fits well.

Kitsune +2 Cha, +1 Dex
Speed: 30 ft.
Darkvision: 60 feet.
Trickery: You have proficiency with the Deception skill

Walk Among: You may use magic to disguise your features to appear human. This ability cannot mimic a particular human nor make you look like a different person. The illusion appears as if you were human rather than a kitsune. You also know the Minor Illusion cantrip. Your spellcasting ability for these effects is Charisma. seeing through your disguise behaves as the Disguise Self spell, but creatures attempting to do so have disadvantage.

Lunacy: You know the Dancing Lights Cantrip. At 3rd level, you can cast the Faerie Fire cantrip once per day. At 5th level, you can cast the Moonbeam cantrip once per day. Charisma is your spellcasting ability for these effects.

The other subrace I made was the one with produce flame, but it's long winded and goes into the whole multiple tails thing that's super weaboo, so fuck that.

I'm not sure if it's super balanced or not, and I may have loaded it up a bit much, but I think it would be okay.
>>
File: 1464657178996.jpg (785 KB, 1376x972) Image search: [Google]
1464657178996.jpg
785 KB, 1376x972
Is Middle Finger of Vecna and The Sterling Vermin the only good places to find 5e homebrew? Everywhere else I look is just unbalanced or incomplete.
>>
>>47810320
The times when the difference between slashing and piercing make a difference are such edge cases it doesn't matter anyway. It's perfectly fine to do this and use imagination.
>>
>>47810348
haven't looked at sterling vermin, but every middle finger of vecna homebrew i've seen has been overpowered shit imo.
>>
>>47809746
Hello!
I would like to shitpost in this thread about 4e being better.
I would also like to shitpost in this thread about roleplaying being bad, and powergaming being good.
*submits shitpost forms*
>>
>>47810315
>thrown (20/60)

That alone sells it. Now I'll have every slashing weapon be a subset of Handaxe. Nothing could possibly go wrong.
>>
>>47810395
I'm not even sure what kind of argument you're trying to make. Are you mad it has mechanics in there that tell you how far you can throw it? Just don't throw it if it makes you that mad.
>>
>>47810089
This might help give you ideas.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2rl54uayhfrrpsl/Compendium%3B%20Races.docx?dl=0
>>
>>47810395
If you're worried about throwing weapons, I can only imagine the meltdowns you must have over things that are actually good.
>>
>>47810421
It's an argument against his DM implementing it for him.

>lel u mad
>
>>
>>47810439
https://dnd-wiki.org/wiki/Kitsune_(3.5e_Race)

What do you think about this one? Do you think its easy adaptable for 5e?
>>
>>47804138
This is the real reason it's cha.

>>47804163
>>47804257
>>47804430
>>47804520
Warlocks cast from cha because they cast demon magic, or fey magic, or crazy old one magic. Cha is just how that kind of magic is done. Yes, they learn how to cast it. But learning how to swing a sword doesn't mean you swing your sword with int. (props, >>47804554) When you cast magic you learned from a demon, you cast it like a demon casts it. So you cast with your will, not your brain.

Since the patron is chosen at level 1, it wouldn't be hard to make a patron that teaches wizard magic or mind magic instead. Like an elder brain, lich, or proper archmage. Then one of the level one features would be "casts with Int".

>>47804323
I did like Con-based hellfire-channeling warlocks.

>>47805161
A completely naked martial can still just punch you, and it's not like you'll be able to strip off heavy armor in the time it takes for a normal battle.

>>47807736
A short rest is 1 hour and a long rest is 8 hours. With gritty realism, a short rest is 1 night and a long rest is 7. It's actually a little bit more lenient than normal, technically.

>>47808221
Your initial argument is implying something good is bad and then claiming a book says something it doesn't say. All you deserve is insults.

>>47808783
>Unless he grabs sharp shooter or gets haste, I guess. He could also grab crossbow expert for another attack.
That's what I mean when I said, exactly:
>All further ranger improvements rely on feats and spells.
Though Haste isn't a ranger spell, and haste boosts a rogue's damage more than the ranger's.
>>
>>47810468
No. Half the stuff there is completely unusable for 5e.
>>
>>47810499
https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Actual_Kitsune_(5e_Race)
https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Kitsune_(5e_Race)

These pretty much match the thread theme easy, what do you think?
>>
>>47810535
>dandwiki
>>
>>47810483
I miss the days when all arcane casters were int based.

Though really now that Cha based casting is a thing I feel like Arcane casting should just say "Int or Cha, pick at level 1". Probably the same with Divine casting except "Wis or Cha".
>>
>>47809869
Moon Druid tanks for the party, casters kite around him. Problem solved, ez.
>>
File: 1447266783621.jpg (109 KB, 528x904) Image search: [Google]
1447266783621.jpg
109 KB, 528x904
>>47810468
>>47810535

>dandwiki
>>
What are some fun ideas for a group of all the same class travelling together? (Like a bunch of bards being in a travelling troupe together etc)
>>
File: Character creation list.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Character creation list.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>
>>47810535
Second one is a ridiculous mess. Effective Truesight at early levels that scales up better, free casting mod to AC, which doesn't have any non-stacking clause, but even without that it's very strong. Then unarmed strike bonuses, produce flame because why not, and +3 to all stats while you're not disguised because fuck it. It's way too strong and shows a lack of rules knowlege.

The first one is marginally better. Produce flame and being able to turn into a tiny fox is somewhat more reasonable, minus the whole 'DM has to give boons for each tail' thing. Still not very well done.

I'd suggest going with something like >>47810283 and >>47810332 posted.

+2 Cha, +1 dex, Deception Proficiency, Darkvision, Minor Illusion, Faerie Fire at 3rd. That sort of stuff.
>>
>>47810641
Just make sure you all pick a spellcasting class or rogues. Anything else will end up boring as fuck as you all end up with very little ways to differentiate your characters.

Rogues=Thieves guild
Warlocks=cult
Wizards=academics constantly arguing about which spell school is the best.
>>
>>47810664
I think I can manage then.

The other thing is about the Bard class, I would like to play Bard but I am afraid I will end up on some healbot buffbot or just shooting arrows, without even being able to cast a "magic missile".
>>
>>47810641
I think Rogues would be the most fun. Everyone can easily pick up a specialty and make themselves stand out. You can easily do a band of theives, spies for the kingdom, or just normal adventuring with everyone being reliably stealthy.
>>
>>47810641
Most classes have some sort of community thing going on that can work:

>Barbarian tribe/warparty
>Bardic troupe
>Clerical brotherhood
>Druidic circle/grove
>Fighting-man's special operations group, for operators operating operationally inna operation
>Monastic fellowship(?)/brotherhood
>Paladin's knightly order of do-goodery
>Ranger band
>Rogue's thieving guild of sneaky stealers
>Sorcerous congregation(?) this is a hard one, Sorc's are pretty solitary by nature
>Warlock cult
>Wizard's college outing
>>
>>47810724
Bards tend to lack damage. If you're that worried, consider picking up Magic Initiate for Sorcerer or Warlock and pick up some better damage cantrips and a blasty 1st level spell. Vicious Mockery is good, and the bard list has nice stuff, but it tends to be more focused on debilitating and buffing.

Healing word is a nice option, since you can heal while fighting, and if you want to mix it up in melee more, Valor Bard can do fairly well.
>>
>>47809800
>>47809869
Gonna dm a new campaign for some friends on sunday with this party composition: bard, warlock, sorcerer, fighter (going to be a gunslinger). Will report back how it goes
>>
>>47810753
The idea is to run around the battle (Dexterity or Agility kind of thing) shooting some dps, when something dangerous is too close attacking weak targets, I would be able to go there and protect using CC like illusions or confusion kind of abilities. The idea is to be a magical unpredictable whimsical thing that can attack but help the team too.
>>
What do you guys think of this as a base to build a Binder subclass on for Warlock?

Otherworldly Patron: The Bound
lvl 1 feature: Pact Binding
You may choose up to two Vestiges from the list to learn the Seals of Summoning.
You may bind a Vestige during a short or long rest. Make the appropriate skill check indicated by the Vestige (Persuasion, Intimidation, Deception) at the DC indicated by the Vestige. If you fail, you are still bound to the Vestige but you gain both the manifestation and the influence of the Vestige so long as you are bound to it and can not dismiss it until your next long rest. Otherwise you are bound to the Vestige and may dismiss it during a short rest as normal. While bound to the Vestige you gain a number of abilities from its profile equal to your number of invocations known and bonus spells as available according to your level. While bound to a Vestige you lose all known invocations and your Pact Boon changes to the one described in the Vestige's description.

Lvl 6 Feature: Expulsion
Beginning at 6th level you may attempt to expel a Vestige as a bonus action. If you made a good pact no check is required. If you made a poor pact, you must succeed at the same check used to bind the Vestige. If A check is failed this way you may not repeat the attempt until you complete a short rest. A vestige expelled this way cannot be bound again until you complete a long rest.

Desperation Pact
As an action you may quickly form a pact with a known Vestige. When you use this ability the pact is always considered a poor pact. Once used, this ability can not be used again until you complete a Long rest.

Level 10 Feature: Fractures Soul
You may now bind two different vestiges at once. When you do so you gain both of their spell lists and but may only select one of their pact boons and may only select a number of abilities equal to your total number of invocations known.

Level 14 Feature: to be continued
>>
>>47809870
Meanwhile, all casters use named spells to terrifying effect.
>>
>>47810483

>haste boosts a rogue damage more than a rangers

no it won't
>>
>>47810822
Bards are good at hanging back and messing up enemies to support allies. A Bow will serve you fine as fire support, and it's better to save your spells for the crowd control angle rather than trying to waste them on dealing damage.

I think you'll be fine just going for standard Bard. Give it a shot, see how it goes, and if you're lacking damage, go Valor Bard and maybe pick up Magic Initiate for Firebolt or something.
>>
>>47810850
Wouldn't it make more sense for Binder to be a variant like Tome, Chain, or Blade? I mean, having a pact of 'The Bound' sounds really generic. I mean, is it a Bound demon? A bound Angel? Most things I can think of a Binder Binding just sound like the existing Pacts with the twist that you keep them in a jar.
>>
>>47810872
When you factor in misses, yes it does, since it's another opportunity to land sneak attack.
>>
>>47810393
Threadly reminder that the only people who dislike optimizing characters with justified multiclassing, feats, etc are people who lack the creative and miniscule mathematical capabilities necessary to optimize a character.

>"I'm envious that he can do it and I can't so I'll condemn it to feel better about myself BAAA!!!"
>>
File: D12.jpg (121 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
D12.jpg
121 KB, 1920x1080
>>47810736
>Ranger band
I like it
>>
>>47810736
Sorcerer Siblings. They all have the same Draconic grandfather
>>
>>47809746
So I'm starting up a new campaign soon with only two players.
They're going to be playing a Rogue and a Paladin.
Any tips for campaigns with low, low player counts? I wanna keep stuff fresh, but I'm used to DMing for larger parties.
>>
>>47811009
Have them each control 2 characters. The CR system doesn't handle 2 players well.
>>
>>47809746
Is there a list of the various languages for 5e?

The listing on p. 123 seems like it's incomplete.

Failing that, if I want the party to be journeying into darkest afri- uh, unexplored territory, homebrewing a new language group for the region is appropriate, right?
>>
>>47810850
Meh. what you've done doesn't really mesh well with the warlock options we already have. It won't be in line with those.

The easiest way to do a binder is pact of the chain based invocations that allow you to summon different but powerful familiars.
>>
>>47811009
Action economy is brutal as shit as soon as you have 5+ enemies. Magic items get silly if you don't tailor the few(er) finds to the characters.
ERP encounters are far easier.
>>
>>47811039
If it's your setting, do what you want with it. Just remember that one of the few 3e changes people don't complain about is reducing the amount of languages as every AD&D setting had like 50 languages, including different dialects of the same language.
>>
>>47811076
Pact of Chain invocations sound perfect for a Binder.
>>
>>47811027
CR doesn't handle any number of players well. I've had far more entertaining fights ever since I started winging it.

>>47811009
Wing the numbers of enemies. Try to balance fights so each player gets a third of the time, and you get the remaining third to split between enemies.

Be careful about monsters with crowd control abilities. If the paladin comes down with a case of hold person, that's half your damage and most of your HP taken out of the fight.
>>
>>47809746
Me and my DM are trying to figure out how to make necromancers work properly in 5e while having only a small number of tougher minions rather than a fuckton of skeletons.

Near as I can tell you're basically just limited by your casts of animate dead to reassert control over 4 (?) skeletons/zombies per cast, how would you guys sort out a fair limit on strength/number of minions if I were to be resurrecting ogres or other stronger minions?
>>
Best buff between spell levels 1-3 besides Haste? Best debuff between spell levels 1-3?
>>
>>47811192
Probably something like you can summon a total CR equal to 1+4x Skeleton CR
>>
>>47810736
Sorcerer family descended from dragons or something. Or just a bunch of dragonborn/tieflings with their natural magical abilities.
>>
>>47811206
Bless is arguably better than Haste since it can affect multiple people.

Debuff would probably be slow just because it doesn't have as many restrictions as other things do. Blindness/Deafness would be up there since it doesn't require concentration.
>>
>>47810872
Clearly, you are not ready.
>>
>>47811027
Thanks for the answer, but I dunno if I'd be content to do that. I've heard it's typically not good to let players control more than one PC each.
I'll consider it, but...yeah, that's a tricky thing to deal with, especially if someone hops in on the campaign down the line.

>>47811084
>>47811152
Yeah, it seems like the best answer is to keep the amount of enemies they face lower as a result, too. It's a blatant answer, but I was just wary of it because it's a less- forgive my use of the word- epic campaign, but...I guess it's arguably better than no campaign at all? It'll definitely force a different playstyle from all of us, I suppose.

What exactly are ERP encounters?
I'd google it, but, uh. Yeah, that acronym is a bit daunting.
>>
>>47811290
You can still make things epic with a low number of enemies. Consider designing your own enemies, one or two guys at a time for them to fight, and give them legendary actions appropriate for the scene they are in.
>>
>>47811290
Typically you don't let someone have 2 PCs because they get more play time than someone else does it and bogs things down. Neither is an issue at a 2 player table where both get to do it.

ERP = erotic roleplay
>>
File: shadow_of_the_colossus.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
shadow_of_the_colossus.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1200
>>47811290
>less enemies is less epic

Don't be so sure...
>>
>>47811323
Giving two players 2 different characters to control will get bogged down, because you've more than doubled the complexity of their turns. Also it detracts from roleplaying IMO.
>>
>>47810158
Surprisingly sneaky dwarf assassin is kinda scary though just keep em dex
>>
>>47811290
A suggestion for if you still want fights against a lot of enemies: Have them come in waves. Like maybe the two stumble into a room, and there's 3 or so goblins there. Then, once they've killed off most of them, have another batch burst in. This can let you keep things interesting and make the players feel good about cutting down a lot of enemies without just overwhelming them with turn advantage.
>>
>>47809746
>How animu is your character/group/campaign/setting/etc...
Well I had a very detailed discussion about the exact breast size of a player's character earlier today, so I'm going to say I'm quite heavy into the weeb.
>>
>>47810945
I shit on most feat and mc 'abusers' because I actually have the creativity and math skills to know their 'optimized' build is worse than a single-classed character with no feats.
>>
>>47811267

Anything besides Bless as well? Preferably something non-concentration for the debuff too.
>>
>>47811316
Super true, yeah. That's a good idea, thanks!

>>47811323
Hmmm. Again, I guess I'll give it more thought, maybe bring it up to them. We'll see.

>ERP = erotic roleplay
Okay, that's what I thought. I didn't know if there was something else you were meaning.

>>47811341
Very true. I guess I'm more worried about the campaign as a whole. I'm worried they'll get tired of encounters being smaller scale, but. Eh, they're not super shitty people, I think they'll be content.
>>
Help me out here, I'm playing a wizard but if I dipped 2 levels into fighter could I use action surge to cast two spells in one turn?
>>
>>47811378
>>47811546
Ooops. Meant to reply to you with that last comment, too.
Thanks again for the input. I'll probably just keep the campaign on a slightly smaller scale and, if they're facing something like a goblin horde, try to limit it to less than a handful per encounter.
>>
>>47809746
Inspired by Oriental Adventures.
So either completely or not at all depending on how you look at things.
There's a martial arts/battle tournament, so that tacks on some weeb points.
>>
I'm trying to come up with a balanced function for a shield spike. I'm thinking something along the lines of;
>When an enemy melee attack against you results in a value less than X, the attacking creature fails its attack, and also takes Y damage.

Any suggestions on X and Y for balancing? Should it just be value dependent (copper, silver, gold) / level dependent?
>>
File: Bloodborne 5e.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Bloodborne 5e.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>47809746
Are transforming weapons weeb? Because I just finished a thing
>>
>>47811592
>when an enemy within five feet of you misses an attack against you, you can use your reaction to make a grapple check against that enemy. You do not need a free hand for this grapple check, or to maintain the grapple that results from it, if any.
>>
Tell me about the Dragon Coast. What languages are spoken there, and what cool stuff is around there that would influence my backstory?
>>
File: Bloodborne Rape Horse.png (2 MB, 708x2163) Image search: [Google]
Bloodborne Rape Horse.png
2 MB, 708x2163
>>47811629
Oh, shit, nice.
I was making one as well, based off another system though, but I never got around to finishing it.
>>
File: nightranger.jpg (60 KB, 546x509) Image search: [Google]
nightranger.jpg
60 KB, 546x509
>>47810982
>>
>>47811592
>any time you shove a creature or a creature fails a shove or grapple check against you that creature takes piercing damage equal to 1d4+your Strength modifier
>>
>>47811629
GET YER WHEELS, LADS
>>
I'm starting to realize more and more that I fucking hate vancian casting. I don't like playing characters who rely on abilities which are per-day/long rest. 5e cantrips help a little bit but it still feels shitty. I'd rather have a much smaller array of abilties I can use at will so that I can play a hero without thinking about resource management.

Anyone else feel the same way?
>>
>>47811957
Have you tried using spell points?
>>
>>47811957
Kinda. I do enjoy having a singular pool of points or uses for a larger effect, kind of like Barbarian rages or the like. At-will stuff all day, and a bit of extra juice when you need it most.
>>
>>47811975
Same shit. As long as they only recharge on the long rest, all spell points mean are less restrictions of how much of your power is devoted to each spell level.
>>
>>47811957
5e's spellcasting isn't Vancian.

Vancian casting is fire-and-forget. The last time D&D had something even close to Vancian was 3.5e, where you prepared the castings of individual spells, losing that preparation once it was cast. In order to cast magic missile twice in a day, you had to prepare two castings of magic missile.

5e is more akin to an MP/mana system with your "MP" predivided into slots. You don't lose a spell once it's cast, it just uses up a bit of your available magic power.

If you want to be dedicated to more at-will magic shenanigans, play a warlock.
>>
>>47811957
Mystic operates on what is essentially SP but their abilities are generally more varied, can often be scaled, and tend to have lower resource costs than whole spells do. They're also somewhat physical-oriented (decent HP and frontline capability) and have a bunch of passive benefits you won't find in an SP Sorc or Wizard.
>>
>>47810905
The name the Bound does need work but it needs to encompass a myriad of otherworldly beings that exist outside of reality. Any better ideas?
I though about it being a pact boon but its just too powerful compared to any of the three core ones.

>>47811076
I agree it doesn't mesh perfectly with the existing warlock. But what you described certainly is not a Binder. I am referring to the 3.5 Tome of Magic class, not some mere Thaumaturgist or Summoner.
>>
>>47810483
>short rest 8 hours long rest 1 week

I really don't get this meme. If it's about natural healing, fine. Makes using Hit Dice more involved. But spells having to last you a whole week? And is this a "every seven days you get your shit" or "rest for a whole week" deal?

Plus it makes Fighters, Monks, and Warlocks better and practically everyone else worse.
>>
>>47812329
>it needs to encompass a myriad of otherworldly beings that exist outside of reality

You mean like Fiends, Fae, and Aberrant creatures? Plus any other patron types they might come up with? It's too redundant to fit in with those.

>I though about it being a pact boon but its just too powerful compared to any of the three core ones.

Then make it reliant on Invocations, like how Pact of the Blade is.

What's the fluff you want to capture with a Binder? Just trying to transplant the 3.5 class won't work, so what is a Binder to you?

From a quick read, it seems like they focus on summoning or using items with creatures bound inside of them. I don't see why the other guy's suggestion for summoning Invocations added to Pact of the Chain wouldn't work.
>>
>>47811957
Have you tried playing 4e
>>
File: 1443118193240.jpg (180 KB, 1004x493) Image search: [Google]
1443118193240.jpg
180 KB, 1004x493
>>47811727
>>
Would it be reasonable to assume that the various artisan's kits include paper?
>>
File: viking flavor.jpg (130 KB, 736x554) Image search: [Google]
viking flavor.jpg
130 KB, 736x554
Is it worth taking the Shield Master feat if I'm running a Battle Master Fighter that could potentially use trip attack?

For me it's the difference between using a bonus action for a contested roll (Athletics vs. Athletics or Acrobatics) and an attack with an effect at the cost of a superiority dice (DC 8+prof.+str/dex vs. Strength save).

Would it be worth running both?
>>
>>47812845

Depends on the kit, I suppose, but I wouldn't assume it does. It's tools, not an everything-you'll-ever-need box.

So cartographer's tools, sure, you're making maps. But Mason's tools, no.
>>
>>47812948
>everything-you'll-ever-need box
Given that it isn't specified exactly what's in there, I couldn't be sure. But yeah, cartographer's tools makes perfect sense to have paper in it.
>>
>>47812934
Sure it's worth it. You have limited superiority dice to spend, so Shield Master allows you to use those maneuvers for something else. Plus, an opposed check is slightly better than forcing a saving throw because your average result will be 2.5 higher (your DC is 8+prof+STR vs. a skill check of ~10.5+prof+STR).

Plus, if your DM allows you to try to shield slam them first (debatable but not unreasonable), you can get all your attacks with advantage.
>>
My group just fell apart, need to start looking for Roll20 games.

Fuck man, we just started fucking OotA too.
>>
>>47813016
Awesome, thank you, anon!
>>
>>47813056
>My group just fell apart, need to start looking for Roll20 games.

Oh wow, that is the worst.
>>
>>47809746
Question, is there any good way to do an Illusion specialist, besides Wizard? I want to make a sort of conman, that uses Illusions, and I'd like them to be charisma based, but no other classes seem to have any support for illusions.
>>
>>47813210
Arcane Trickster is pretty much exactly that, but Bard would work as well for a full caster
>>
>>47813210
Warlocks can get silent image and disguise self at-will by 2nd level.
>>
>>47810614
Are you a special breed of stupid? i have been playing since 2e ... you're lying.
>>
I'm making a kindly, old, (and very powerful) spellcaster as an npc, and I'm just going over my options.

While doing so, I realized I had a question that now needs answering.

If a Warlock gets his powers from a powerful supernatural Outsider, and that outsider can no longer benefit from the use of the Warlock. And it tries to eat him, or whatever. What happens if the Warlock defeats the source of it's power? Does he lose all his magical powers?
>>
File: Conduit5e1-5.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Conduit5e1-5.pdf
1 B, 486x500
I started working on a conduit class because I was bored on a bus. It's focused on attuning to different planes. The goal is to have a class that focuses on having an at will AOE, with a casting mechanic that increases your damage the closer you are to running out of abilities. I would love feedback on the first 3 levels, and whether this class is worth continuing.

NOTE: Ignore the proficiency list. Assume this class gets wizard/bard like weapon and armor proficiencies
>>
>>47813362

Probably lets him upgrade to a better patron, proving to the rest of the eldritch community that you ain't no busta.
>>
>>47813362
Warlock stuff is secret magical knowledge gifted to the warlock as part of the pact. When their pact is broken, their powers remain, though their progression in that vein stops (unless they find a new patron to teach them more).
>>
>>47813360
What?
In AD&D arcane casters were int based.
>>
>>47812527
I would say the main aspects of the Binder play style are:

-Binding spirits to yourself using Cha based skills with a chance for adverse effects if things go badly that are mostly role-playing challenges
-Having preset kits (invocations, spells, class abilities, proficiencies, etc.) that you can swap between on a rest
-gaining access to new kinds of pacts over time as progression

It's not really all that much. Could definitely fit into a Warlock subclass.
>>
>finalized my character sheet, made it all prettied up
>game is not for weeks, can't do anything else but stare longingly at it
LIFE IS SUFFERING
>>
>>47812527
>From a quick read, it seems like they focus on summoning or using items with creatures bound inside them.

Well, I'm not sure what you read but Binders have no items or Summon spells at all so that's a kind of odd summary. They are more about becoming an avatar of various otherworldly beings and transforming themselves rather than creating new creatures.

http://alcyius.com/dndtools/classes/binder/index.html

That's the real binder. I'm guessing you saw some D&D wiki homebrew with the same name.
>>
>>47814012
>By drawing their seals and speaking words of power, the binder SUMMONS strange entities, bargains with them, and binds them to his service.

Literally, the first sentence on that link
>>
>>47813822
>>47813783
Thanks guys! This cleared some things up, plus it's addressed in the Player's Handbook.

Anyway! Anyone got any advice on making a "Gandalf-Like" character? I'm making a kindly old hermit with a big pointy hat, that lives in the forest. He is actually an ex-adventurer and scholar of a forgotten age.

I'm making him as a possible contact that the players can rely on for advice and adventure hooks.

What should I call him? What should his class composition be?
>>
>>47814057
A Druid might be a good fit for someone living in the wilds. A Divination Wizard might be a better fit. He could easily know a lot of lore, and divination means easy access to plot hooks.
>>
>>47814057
Just use the Mage statblock in the MM. Putting stats to an NPC only matter if they're going to end up in combat, otherwise you can just handwave it and give them what abilities and items you think they should have. As a DM you have total freedom with NPCs.
>>
>>47814083
Hahaha! This gives me an excellent idea for introducing him. Thank you.

A high level druid, with a focus on spellcasting may suit better. In the setting, Magic is actually considered "evil", so I may put up wanted posters as a sort of sidequest. "Wanted VILE SORCERER OF THE WOOD. To be hanged on the grounds of witchcraft and consorting with evil spirits".

When the players stumble upon his hut in the woods, he'll be watering his herb garden. The "evil spirits" he has been consorting with are nothing more than the local elk and squirrels.
>>
>>47810624
Moon Druid is basically the Martial aspect of that class, anon.
>>
>>47814012
>>47813958
Hmm...seems odd. It almost feels like it wants to be all the Warlock subclasses at once, but just swap between them.

I feel like a neat way to handle it might be as follows: Make an Invocation for Pact of the Chain with several effects. The first of which is that it cuts your effective warlock level in half for determining what benefits you get from your Patron. For example, you couldn't use Misty Escape as a Fey Warlock until level 12. Second, you can swap what Patron you have at the end of a Long Rest, which also changes what Familiar you have. Further, any Patron spells you have automatically get swapped for another one from the new patron.

That'd be a rather extensive overhaul to how the class works, but I think it can work for the fluff idea that instead of working for a Patron and being granted powers, you're instead summoning a creature each day and binding it to you as your familiar, using a lessened version of the powers associated with it.

In addition to this, I think other things to add would be an Invocation that allows you to cast Rituals in a limited fashion, 'summoning' something over the course of several minutes, before making a Charisma check and offering it something of value for it to 'cast' the spell for you. This would behave as normal rituals, except you would be spending money, favors, hitpoints, or hit die in exchange.

Another Invocation to add would be one that grants a Proficiency, cantrip, and first level spell known based upon your Patron. This would be universally available to all Warlocks, but is very nice for Binders, as they can swap between them.

I think that could all add up to a Binder fairly well, though again, I'm not overly familiar. How would you say it lines up?
>>
>>47814197
I have a mountain druid half orc who is basically a 2e barbarian with lightning bolt, stone shape, etc.
>>
How often do you send private messages to your DM while in mid game? For what circumstances is it acceptable?
>>
>>47814379
is this roll20 ?
>>
Playing a lol 5 lance cavalier, thinking I'll grab magic initiate for shits and giggles instead of my next ASI. Any spells i should grab other than shield?
>>
>>47814394
Nah, phone under the table. While someone that isn't the DM is talking.
>>
>>47814458
>nah
Never, then
>>
>>47814458
That's weird. Me and other players have done that before to plan jokes and shit on other players, but I don't DM the fucking DM.
>>
>>47814458
Is he your boyfriend or something then?
>>
>>47814488
^This.

You're a fuckin' piece of shit if:

a. You can't get off your phone to enjoy something for a couple hours for once in your life.
b. You have to be a special snowflake faggot who sends super secret messages to your DM about shit that you're doing in-game behind other people's back.

If you're reminding him that the brownies are about to be done or some shit, that's fine though.

In our group, the two female players both know sign language. So occasionally, they'll sign about off topic stuff without interrupting the game or being distracting. Though, to be honest, I find it sort've endearing, and therefore sexually exciting.
>>
>>47812581
The world where every class is Vancian?
This seems opposite of desired effect.
>>
>>47814563
It's b.) but it's because one of the other party members acted with OOC knowledge multiple times in the past. Can't really bring myself to trust him.

>>47814507
I'm not sending messages about rules or something like that. Just further my own characters goals.
>>
>>47813182
How bad is it going to be?

Be real with me anon, just 'applied' to a few games.
>>
>>47814839
It depends. I can attest to the fact that some solid GMs are out there I'm one of them but it will be a crapshoot. Assume that 30% of the DMs are good, and that 3 in 5 players are going to suck balls.
>>
Could a pure ranged fighter work or would I be better off with a ranger?
>>
>>47814920
>pure ranged fighter work
Yes, there is nothing that makes a fighter a melee only combatant.. A Fighter is proficient with everything for a reason.

>better off with a ranger
lol
>>
>>47814935
I mean they are called RANGErs so in a logical world they would be better at ranged combat.
>>
>>47814920
The Fighter class is designed to work well with any weapon and the related ways they're used. So yes, ranged fighter works great.
>>
>>47814654
Well, as long as you make it known, out loud, "Hey, you've done some shitty meta-game stuff in the past, so I'm conniving against you, you little bitch." Then it's okay.

I have a story to tell about why I'm so bitter about this sort of shit.
>Long time ago, I played in my first campaign.
>It was a 2e campaign, about 4 or 5 sessions in.
>Everyone was having a good time, except for one asshole.
>He was one of THOSE rogue players. The kind that steal other player's equipment. Even shit they can't use.
>That's normally a trait of an amateur player, but thus guy had been playing for a long time. So he really should've known better.
>on top of that, he was the DM's brother. He let him get away with all kinds of shit
>during this session, we were walking in to a dungeon, when the asshole passes his brother a piece of paper
>They laugh and give each other knowing glances
>The game just continues.
>One player started to take an action, and the DM just said, "You can't".
>this continued, person after person until the DM jumped out of his chair with an autistic squeal
>YOU'RE ALL DEAD! HE KILLED YOU!

I wish that wasn't the group I popped my D&D cherry with.

I hope you have a bad time, Anon.
>>
>>47814920
Pure ranged fighter. Rangers are kind of the odd class out in 5e; they're not really a good combat class when compared to the Fighter, Druid, or Paladin (the other half-caster class.)
>>
>>47814563
Thats extremely rude of them
>>
I've got a quick question, i was under the impression that there was some kinda monster called a leech mage or something along those lines, but i can't seem to find any info on them. They're literally just mages that were salty when they died and came back as worms that interested their body or something. Does anyone know what they're called, or have any info on them?
>>
>>47814057
Mage or Archmage NPC
>>
>>47814981
How do you figure?

Thus raises a question. If someone does something "rude" and no one finds it rude, is it still rude?
>>
>>47815003
Yes, communicating around others who can't understand is rude
>>
>>47810850
>>47810850
got anything for the shadowcaster?

I was also thinking of giving the warlock a subclass for shadowcasting magic, but it might be better to make it from scratch. I think itd be somewhat difficult to use the same constraints the other pacts have.
>>
I had to build a campaign on short notice the other day. It went well, but I'm not sure where to take it from here.

So far we've got:
>My two players decided to both be lawful good
>One is a lowborn fighter who joined the army at 8 years old and is now a captain and accomplished soldier
>One is a highborn paladin who spent her childhood in a cloister and was selected to serve as a member of the kingsguard
>One day, they are summoned by one of the king's top commanders to go on a mission "outside the ordinary chain of command
>They go to a faraway ruin on top of a mountain
>The commander drugs them and has a mage cast a modified Hallucinatory Terrain on them to "shield them from the enchantments of the ruin"
>Ruin is actually populated by good monsters (Couatl, faerie dragons, silver dragon)
>They're hallucinating and seeing shit -
>They don't see a Couatl, they see a firey-eyed winged serpent
>Imps rather than faerie dragons
>Demonic red dragon rather than silver dragon
>They think they're descending into the firey depths of the 9 hells but are actually climbing through an open-aired ancient temple
>Their commander is giving them orders and they can't refuse since they're both goodie-two-shoes
>He's also kind of going crazy at this point
>But they don't mind because they think they're slaying demons and shit
>Dragon was guarding a MacGuffin that the commander steals
>He knocks out the party and leaves them for dead

And that's about as far as I've gotten. I don't know what the MacGuffin should be or what repercussions their actions should have.
>>
Can I apply maneuvers to ranged attacks as long as it doesn't specific melee attacks only??
>>
>>47815320
For Battle Master? Yes.
>>
>metagaming ruins everything edition

Say you're a warlock and you are given a sidequest to get an item. One of your fellow party members has said item, and doesn't use it. Won't sell it, won't give it up, gets upset when you touch it.

How do I avoid a pk situation when I just take the damn thing, now that I'm losing warlock power via DM for electing not to steal it when I had the chance?

Do I just cripple him, pk others if they join in or just steal it, retire the character and roll another?
>>
>>47809746
1 weeboo cleric
1 weeboo dm
not weeboo setting
just bad dm
>>
>>47815349
There has to be more to this story, otherwise the other player is a fucking shit head for not just giving you the damn thing when you're getting fucked for not having it, and the DM is a fucking shit head for making you lose powers for no god damned reason other than to punish you for not starting a fight with a person who is supposed to be on your team.
>>
>>47815349
Trust the DM to resolve it.

Talk with him if you don't already trust him.

Do -not- kill another player. That's not okay.
>>
>>47815049
However, one wouldn't say it's as rude as say, being argumentative on an anonymous message board, for instance...
>>
>>47815382
>Be me
>Lose foot through first few sessions of campaign
>Level up
>Multiclass warlock
>Get foot, price to pay still a mystery
>Explore underdark
>Fish people worshiping tentacle bros
>Get rod of tenticles off some fight
>DM says patron compels me to get it
>Somehow with +8 to sleight of hand fumble against sleeping party member
>Continue helping party
>Nat 20 persuade demigorgon at one point
>Still need rod after several more sessions
>Persuade npc to take it for me
>Failure, pc almost kills npc bro
>Metagaming, reveal to metagamers pact compulsion
>Offer to buy rod
>Touch rod while party is asleep
>Compelled to wield rod
>Resist
>Lose half spell slots
>Offer to buy again
>Ask to wield in combat
>No other course than to steal it at this point

>Will be met with combat

>>47815388
I really don't want to go to combat against him, I have serious advantage if we do though
>>
>>47814952

No, they're called rangers because of their ability to travel lightly over a very large distance for a long period of time without returning to civilization. Their actual damage output is largely independent of their class and sometimes hampered by it since they often have class benefits that aren't purely damage based.

Most systems with a fighter system that allows archery and is built for flexibility allow you to build for a higher damage output than that but at the cost of losing a lot of the mobility and survival bonuses.
>>
>>47815520
Yeah, your DM is a shit. That's fucking ridiculous. Five'll get you ten that he takes possession of your character when you get the rod.
>>
>>47815536
Campaign hasn't really been railroady at all, and nothing is hinting towards taking control of my character

>Guy with the rod isn't even using it in combat
>>
>>47815570
Ok I gotta ask guy, how is the campaign not "railroady" when your paladin has houseruled in warlocks falling?

I gotta say your DM is in the top 99% of most cuntish DMs, easily.
>>
>>47815670
Freudian slip.

>when your DM has houseruled in
>>
>Have to take a ship to go to a distant island.
>Have to listen to the female captain have sex each night.
>we roll for seasickness and encounters.
>no encounters
>Except this one, there's a hostile boat!
>The overpowered NPC of the session throws two fireballs at the enemy vessel.
>The female captain sprints across the water at like 200ft per round and comes back.
>The PCs literally didn't do a thing.

Fuck DM, you need to stop doing this, I can't give a shit about your snowflake characters being stronger than PCs. Everyone has character levels. Anyone we've ever escorted, was higher level than us. We had a level 9 cleric ask to be escorted, and after we were finally done with her, the DM mentioned how people die if she has sex with them. What.

>There's a posh ball event where everyone important ever participates.
>DM keeps introducing new and new guests, I realize we're in fantasy Sweden with everything that has two legs and isn't human is an acceptable race.
>Sure, this can go somewhere, maybe some political intrigue session?
>There is mention of a renewing alliance treaty.
>Ball ends. No one crashed the party or anything.
>>
>>47815693
Makes sense to me, if a great old one healed my foot in exchange for a pact, why shouldn't there be a punishment for not fulfilling a simple task a party member can help with?

If i wasn't multiclassed I'd be more on your point of view though man
>>
>>47815747
There's no flavor text at all supporting that a warlock's patron can make them fall. Making the warlock's powers exist at the will of the one who granted them goes against a lot of the inspiration for warlocks (virtually every story about a Devil's Deal involves them tricking the Devil).

But more importantly, the warlock is one of the shittiest classes in the game. The only way it can compare to a wizard is if you get, on average, a total of 4 hours of breaks a day.

Like I said, there are DMs worse than that, but he's more of a prick than 99% of other DMs.
>>
File: smug01.jpg (81 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
smug01.jpg
81 KB, 1280x720
>>47814236
>full caster class
>martial anything
>>
>>47810624
The moon druid doesn't have any way of making monsters attack him and he scales terribly.

In general burning spell slots to destroy encounters is painful, slow, and grossly inefficient.
>>
>>47815713
If true you should tell your DM to write a novel instead.

I've had a DM spend the better part of a year writing a wiki with NPCs and locations for his setting. We've yet to play a single session.
>>
>>47815875
Moon Druid player here, can confirm that "scaling terribly" is a meme. Like I don't even know where that came from it's so wrong.
Level 8 right now and making the party's battlemaster look like a chump who picked the wrong class is really easy.
>doesn't have any way of making monsters attack him
Well neither does anyone else, hate isn't a mechanic.
>In general burning spell slots to destroy encounters is painful, slow, and grossly inefficient.
Making standard attacks to fight through encounters is painful, slow, and grossly inefficient. Just cast Fireball once and kill everything.
>>
>>47809869
That is a correct statement. Just had a session with the fighter and rogue players missing, so the bard, cleric and wizard were by themselves, with a NPC Spy (low level rogue). Party is 5th level. Had an encounter with some ettercaps and giant spiders, end results:
>Wizard, conscious, brought back by healing, but paralysed by spider poison
>Bard, unconscious, also paralysed, being dragged away by the last remaining spider
>Aaracokra Cleric with a Warding Bond to the bard, was brought to 0 in mid-air, fell and then failed two more death saves, dead (My first PC death!)
By the end I was playing by myself, that was some serious bullshit.
>>
>>47815948
>Just cast Fireball once and kill everything.

Are you serious or am I being trolled? Fireball has enough damage to... take out CR 1/2 foes, on average, and if you don't roll poorly and nobody makes a save.

I will absolutely admit that if the entire campaign is flubbery mooks in numbers sufficient to blot out the sun, then direct damage spells could be worth it as a primary style.
>>
>>47815979
How the fuck could you lose against ettercaps and giant spiders with a 5th level wizard and cleric? Those are baby enemies. Their webbing doesn't even stop you from casting.
>>
>>47816138
10000 ettercaps and 1000000000000 giant spiders
>>
Daern Instant Fortress. It requires a command word to dismiss.
>The cube rapidly grows into a fortress that remains until you use an action to speak the command word that dismisses it which works only if the fortress is empty.

However, am I correct in thinking that the door/trapdoor can only be activated by the individual who owns it?

> The door opens only at your command, which you can speak as a bonus action.

So is "command" here "command word" or "a spoken order etc"?

Important because there is a Daern fortress inside Castle Ravenloft filled with treasure. Can they use Identify to figure out the command word and get inside or will they need to deal 100 hp of damage against 23 AC adamantine which is immune to nonmagical damage and resistant to every thing else?

Someone ask on Twitter for me please
>>
>>47816138

Not sure if math is your strong suit, but they kill you in two rounds, and will probably have advantage most of the time. They are probably also going to try, and succeed, in flanking you, so you aren't likely to be able to hit them both with a single spell.

That's assuming a level 5 wizard vs 1 ettercap and 1 spider. If its a level 5 cleric and a level 5 wizard vs 2 ettercap and 2 spider, ie "a wizard and a cleric vs ettercaps and spiders," they can most certainly kill one PC a round.
>>
>>47816270
Command word activated
>>
>>47816270
"At your command" and "command word" are not the same thing. Only the person who spoke the command word to deploy it can open the doors. It has arrow slits, though. Sure hope somebody took Gaseous Form.
>>
>>47816306
I think you are right because the adventure specifies that only Strahd can open the doors.

Any clue as to how large the arrow slits are?
>>
>>47816316
Large enough to shoot an arrow through, I suppose.
>>
>>47816322
Apparently the ancient examples are about a palm width in size, I wouldn't imagine any larger than that.

I'd let in, at most, a Tiny creature. So a druid or a use of Reduce on a Small creature could do it too
>>
>>47816138
>>47816217
To be more precise, it was fully rested 5th level cleric, bard, and wizard, and Spy NPC vs. 3 giant spiders and 3 ettercaps, one of which was a half-green dragon (a bit more AC and HP, green wyrmling breath weapon)

Even though most of the time the monsters couldn't hit at all, if they managed to hit with their Web that would mean advantage until they got free, which, considering no one there had more than 13 strength, meant they could end up stuck for a while. And none of them are exactly built for damage, so as they tried to use their spells to buff/debuff and heal, the enemies got to live for WAY too long and wear them down. The fight lasted more than a minute.
>>
>>47816343
That's well over the guidelines for what constitutes a lethal encounter so I'm not surprised at all.
>>
>>47816484
Yeah I just ran it through kobold fight club and even without the spiders it's still a tough fight
>>
>>47816484
In fact it's just over a deadly encounter for 3 PCs. But then again, it was the only encounter of the day (and they knew that implicitly), so they were free to burn everything. And they had a CR 1 NPC ally and a couple of magic items which they didn't really use. I think they've forgotten they have a Bag of Tricks... Having one more ally in that fight would've been really helpful.
>>
>>47816534
>But then again, it was the only encounter of the day (and they knew that implicitly), so they were free to burn everything

Well, its more than it took to kill them, so its amazing they got through without casualties.
>>
>>47816580
They didn't, though. The cleric died. 1 failed save from fall damage, 2 from poor rolling and no one being able to save him because they were all restrained. However, the wizard managed to go up to him just in time and took the Revivify scroll he had. I let anyone attempt to use spell scrolls by making a [Relevant ability] (Arcana) check, so in this case a Wisdom (Arcana) check, DC 11+spell level. She got a 24 and saved him! Made for quite a tense and dramatic moment.

They finally got their Faerie Dragon egg to hatch, too, so this session was very interesting overall!
>>
>>47814247
I think you are right in that it wants to be too many things at once. Warnock does not have enough power in its subclass alone. Which is kind of why I wanted to make it give up its invocations and pact boon to use the new abilitities but it still seems imbalanced compared to the other Patrons. Probably better to start from scratch and make it its own class... Even if the flavor matches up pretty well. Your suggested changes might work as well for a "Binder lite".

>>47815070
I'm not as familiar with the shadowcaster enough to make a spell list but I don't think 5th edition really does the whole distinction between spells, spell-like abilities, and Supernatural abilities anymore. Could certainly give them some shadowy abilities and at higher levels a single first level spell that doesn't expend a spell slot on use as a lesser version of the wizard capstone limited to specific spells.
>>
How would you feel about not having disadvantage on attack rolls using a crossbow while prone, a la modern snipers?

What about a feat to grant this benefit?
>>
>>47812934
Played a BM Tavern Brawler in a party with a BM Shield Master. Nothing could get near the party and remain standing. It was amazing. Knocking something down every every turn without a resource cost is great, and it's also an easy means to get allies out of grapples (you can shield bash your party members for no damage; the forced movement breaks the creature's grapple on them).
>>
>>47817362
I 100% find it easier to shoot while prone. It would not be worth a feat, however. Not even close.

Most likely the devs never thought about it, and were just thinking that bows are the main ranged weapons so there you go.
>>
File: roll20help.png (2 MB, 1818x4127) Image search: [Google]
roll20help.png
2 MB, 1818x4127
>>47814839
Not in this image, but I just started a roll20 game for a friend and some of their friends and half of their characters are straight-up anime characters. I don't mean clearly inspired by anime or having the kind of backstory and personality you'd associate with anime, but actual characters from actual shows, name and portrait and all. I'm scared.
>>
>>47817362

I think that would make sense. Not worth a feat on its own though. Add a few other tasty bonuses and sure.
>>
>>47817403
>>47817428
Well, what if you added other snipery things to round out the feat?

Bonus to stealth while prone, greater crawling speed, crafting ghillie suits, et cetera.
>>
>>47813958
The Mystic operates a lot like the Binder. Imagine each Discipline as a specific entity you've established a Pact with.

I think one way of handling the Binder under that framework would be to make changing disciplines (pacts) take something like an action. Instead of having a big PP pool that all disciplines/pacts draw on equally, you have no pool until you are Bound, but are then given a small amount of points to play around with. Every time you bind to a pact you get another fresh pool, and you are limited in the amount of pacts you can make per rest.
>>
>>47817362
Bows are hard to fire while on the ground.
Crossbows are hard to load while on the ground if you use your foot to load them, so especially heavy crossbows.
Hand crossbows may be plausible.

You could likely rule it that crossbows can be loaded not-by-foot if you have enough strength.

e.g. Hand crossbow can load while on floor.
Light crossbow can be loaded while on floor if you have 13 strength.
Heavy crossbow can be loaded while on floor if you have 15 strength.
So if you fulfill those requirements, you do not have disadvantage.

There could also be a 'tactical mastery' feat centred around using tactical environmental things, such as going prone for advantage on stealth.

Actually, is there anything that stops players from firing at enemies from around a corner? Enemies can make reaction attacks if they prepare it for when you pop around a corner?
Situational disadvantage for trying to fire at things that you couldn't see until you popped out of the corner again?
Just 3/4 cover?

If I remember right you can just move out into the open, fire, move back again.
>>
>>47817405
That picture is fucking scary.
My first roll20 group disintegrated so now I'm stuck with some spare time and was thinking about DMing something. Finding players that aren't complete nitwits seems to be quite the feat, however.
>>
File: 1450638325352.jpg (39 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
1450638325352.jpg
39 KB, 720x540
>>47817405
>lawful immortal
>chaotic neutral
>lawful neutral
>neutral good
>chaotic neutral
>chaotic good

That lawful neutral and neutral good are the only ones I have hopes beyond "kill this thing in act 1" for.
>>
>>47817437
Mystic isn't a bad idea. The thing is the Binder needs to essentially be a weaker Thief/Priest/Mage/Warrior at any given time but able to switch between them with some prep time. Like a bard jack-of-all-trades only with a little more depth into whichever archetype it chooses to dive into at the time. Let me study the mystic a bit and see if that can fit within the current framework or if it will still require its own class.
>>
>>47815994
The Moon Druid gets to cast Hold Person, Polymorph, Geas, and Conjure Woodland Beings for all your general purpose encounter trivializing needs.
>>
Stupid question: When making a character I only get proficiency bonus+ability mod? No ranks as in 3.5?
>>
>>47814982
You're probably thinking of the worm that walks.
>>
>>47818152
Yes those are ability checks, attack rolls, and saving throws you have proficiency in. But your proficiency bonus gets higher as your max level goes up. At level 5 you get +3, and it goes up from there all the way to +6.
>>
>>47818152
Correct. When you have proficiency you add your proficiency bonus, otherwise you just have your ability modifier
>>
>>47818152
Correct. All things you have proficiency in get your proficiency bonus which scales with level instead of requiring ranks. So everything you pick essentially has max ranks automatically.
>>
>The mystic is still only 10 levels
When are we going to get the last 10?
>>
Okay, people. I got a question. I have a group of 4 people, a dex fighter, a dorf fighter, barbaelf and a human warlock. They're level 3, quite soon lvl 4.

What items do I give them from a tomb of a gnoll? I was thinking a +1 handaxe for dorf, a piece of art that's backstory relevant to the dex fighter, maybe few +1 arrows for his longbow. I have no idea what to do about the barbaelf and warlock though.

For warlock, I was thinking about a familiar, whether or not he goes for the pact that gives him one. barbaelf would get armbands that gives +1 to initiative.

Though I am not sure, any suggestions?
>>
>>47818204
When they publish it in the Planar Handbook
>>
>>47818218
So two years?
>>
>>47818210
Don't custom-tailor the treasure to the PCs. That's cheap. Or if you must, give them a pack of healing potions, because right now they're fucked if one of them does down in the middle of a fight.
>>
>>47818244
Hm. I suppose that makes sense.

Actually yeah that's smart, fuck me I'm retarded.
>>
My characters are always Anime / 10, though that can really mean a lot.

My campaigns are the same, to the point where I made a few changes to 5e just to make it fit in line with some of the Anime shit I want to see.
>>
>>47818210
Roll for items so the player's have to make decisions like changing their play style to use the item or finding a buyer for magical items.
>>
>>47818166
That's it, thanks
>>
>>47818244
>Don't custom-tailor the treasure to the PCs. That's cheap
What's wrong with this? I don't see why it's bad to give a character that's specialized in fighting with polearms, a good polearm, rather than a rapier they can't use as well, and will be disappointed with whether they choose to use it or not (if they do use it, they wasted the investment in polearms. If they don't use it, they wastes the magic item).
>>
>>47815149
I like that. What exactly the MacGuffin is can wait til much later. Just have it be "a thing of legends past" to explain why no one knows what it does.

One repercussion is the PCs regain the trust of creatures and people alike after word spreads about what they did.

They'll want to go after the commander but make their own city an impenetrable fortress and make everyone near the castle hostile towards them. Then the PCs have to gain allies to get back home to take out the commander but they have to first prove they aren't murderous psychopaths to others
>>
>>47818695
Magic items are supposed to be super rare in 5e anyway. Regardless of what the official modules say.
>>
>>47818822
I know, and if anything, doesn't that make it shittier? They finally get one of those super rare magic weapons, and then it's not fitting for what they've been building themselves to play, the entire game.
>>
>>47818858
Well instead of making it an awesome super magic item, it could just be an indestructible polearm/sword/club/whatever they focus on. Maybe it gleams in the dark or floats on water or something similarly strange.

+1 Sword of 1d6 acid damage is fucking boring anyway.
>>
>>47809746
One of my campaigns is actually the most animu I have had, filled with super powerful evil female characters, my paladin has a +2 Greatsword/Katana called the Masamune, the cleric has a short sword wakazashi.

I give it a "running with your arms behind you" out of ten
>>
>>47818918
That's something I'd be totally fine with. I just don't want to see the Strength 20 Fighter, with the Great Weapon feat, and Great Weapon Fighting style, find a Magic Rapier.
>>
>>47818695
So maybe the PCs can, you know, go to someone else with a magical item and say "Uuhh hey I have a magical +1 rapier here want to trade for your magical +1 spear? Yeah thanks okay."

You might as well say "Oh, and suddenly magical items rain from the sky of your choosing because every day is christmas if it's convenient for the plot. So what do you want for christmas, young laddy?"
>>
>>47818918
I like magic items with a bunch of smaller abilities instead of just +1d6 damage. Like, it detects a type of creature, feels weird to the touch, produces a strange noise of some kind on a hit, junk like that
>>
What are some good things to put in a dungeon that's a monk monastery? What monsters/NPCs, the only monk-like NPC is the githzerai, and that's only looking at the monster manual. Is there anything in any of the adventures? Also what's some good treasure, or just general features for the dungeon?
>>
Gritty Realism DM from the last thread here.
Been thinking of using 3h:24h for short:long instead of 8h:168h. The main thing I want to avoid is the party taking an 8h nap in a deadly dungeon or something (it's fairly trivial to ward yourself against enemy attacks in such a situation). I want them to plan their excursions and only to receive a long rest when they're taking a day off, a day off that would be well suited towards planning their next moves.
An alternative is 6h:48h, a long rest would be the equivalent of not working on weekends IRL.

On the topic of wound healing I am thinking of forcing the use of a Healer's Kit to allow hit die use, max 1 HD for a short rest, level/2 HD for a long rest (minimum 1). In addition, spending 10-30 minutes to treat wounds with a Healer's Kit would allow a HD to be used without taking a short rest (this would obviously count towards the 1 HD/short rest limit). Herbalism Kit will also be allowed to be used in the same way as a Healer's Kit for the purpose of regaining HD, though it would use up more ingredients (5 uses on a fresh kit compared to 10 on a Healer's Kit, ingredients could be regained by successfully foraging herbs).
>>
>>47813958
5e doesn't really work well with the concept of abilities having costs for failure. The only ability I can think of that punishes you for using it is the Berserker Frenzy, and everyone already aknowledges that it is a poorly designed class.

Having preset kits is interesting. But it also doesn't seem thematically necessary to the idea of binding spirits into and onto yourself.

Gaining access to new kinds of pacts over time as a progression does fit into the warlock class: as invocations.

The other shit you want to do definitely does not fit into a warlock subclass.

Reexamine the fluff, and stop trying to implement poorly designed mechanics from previous editions into the new edition.

Pact of the Chain invocations that give you access to new familiars. Create a MM entry for each one. Some of them will give you passive benefits and not even summon a creature to aid you.

For example, you could have a pact of the chain invocation that gives you access to three familiars: A powerful combat type fey that boost, a passive, fey type possession familiar that increases your ability to interact through the skill systems, and a utility fey type summon.

I'm bored as fuck, so I'll work out an example pdf sometime this weekend.
>>
>>47819319
Get smarter creatures. Are the party sleeping for 8 hours? Well, looks like the entrance to the dungeon has been sealed and ALL the monsters in the dungeon are waiting for you right around the corner in a careful anti-fireball formation and they've been learning about all the things you have on you and now have a very organised way of taking you out! Lovely!

Hopefully the party would notice this happening and decide "Actually, that was a bad idea" before they're completely screwed.

The ideas don't seem so bad if you can make it clear and obvious somehow because it seems like a bit too much text, but I'm sure you can handle it on your player's behalf.
>>
Is fifth edition foes available anywhere?
>>
>>47819556
you mean the Monster Manual in the OP link
>>
>>47818034

They don't get to do that while they're tanking, though, and if they lose concentration they have to drop one of their wild shapes in order to do it again.

Wild shaped druids are also vulnerable to spells like Power Word: Stun and anything that relies on the druid having less than a certain HP value.
>>
>>47819573
no.

>>47819590
By the time a fighter could resist power word Stun, the casters have already gotten to the point where they are objectively better than any martial based on spell selection.

By the time the druid's tanking is less effective, the casters have surpassed the martials in almost every way.
>>
>>47819573
>>47819624
To clarify, 5th edition foes is a supplement produced by Frog God Games. You can order it here.

https://www.froggodgames.com/fifth-edition-foes

Inexplicably, koboldfightclub considers it a core book, and looking at some of the monster names that prop up when I do a search has made me interested.

not enough to pay 44.99 though.
>>
>>47818944
If someone is that invested, I think a good option is to give them something that still works wit htheir style, but probably not just a +1 version of their current weapon.

For a Great Weapon Fighter, they wouldn't just find a Magic greatsword. You could easily give them a Greataxe or a Polearm instead, likely with more interesting effects rather than just a straight +1. Then they'll still probably use the sword, but hang onto the other one in case they need a magical weapon or the special effect on it.
>>
>>47816343
>wasted turns trying to tear off the webbing that doesn't hinder casting
>casted buffs and healing insead of AoE when outnumbered by weak mobs
>enemies had admittedly bad rolls and won because PCs were fucking around
Now I see. I had trouble wrapping my head around how anyone could lose to spiders at 5th level.
My group fights deadly exp encounters all the time and we haven't lost or had a PC death yet. I thought the game was just extremely easy and the encounter difficulty table was a joke.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 28

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.