[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello /tg/, I'm going to be a running a Hunter: The Vigil
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 6
File: Rural Horror.jpg (495 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
Rural Horror.jpg
495 KB, 800x533
Hello /tg/, I'm going to be a running a Hunter: The Vigil campaign soon and I was wanting to go for a more rural "town in the middle of nowhere" type feel for it.

I'm not sure what state to set it in though, and I was wondering if you had any suggestions? There needs to be an abundance of woods, hills and generally places where spooky shit can be taking place.
>>
>>47808098
Mine was in Washington for that Twin Peaks feel.
>>
They'll never expect Iowa
>>
>>47808098
That doesn't narrow it down at all. There are hills and forests in every state in the union.

I'd set it in the midwest if you really want to play up the 'anywhere, USA' feel.
>>
Like Hunter: Twin Peaks edition?

Anything in the northwest works, some southern states could be good as well. Midwest is lower on forests but it's sort of generic American.
>>
File: york.jpg (35 KB, 620x368) Image search: [Google]
york.jpg
35 KB, 620x368
>>47808279
Yeah I should have been more specific. I'm sort of aiming for a place a bit like Greenvale from Deadly Premonition.
The kind of place where the Sheriff is this big imposing guy that everyone's met at least once and they can tell an out of towner from a mile away.
>>
>>47808098
Use WA or OR for the PNW/Twin Peaks feel complete with mountains, dense woods, oceans, waterfalls, snow, and constant rain or mist or fog.

Use LA or FL is you want swamp and bayou, everglades, mangroves, weird candlelit peasant huts in the middle of darkness with a voodoo priest inside, and New Orleans city of the partying dead kinda feel -- plus huge city tracts near and in NOLA are still largely abandoned if you want to go city instead of small town for some reason, but want to maintain a sense of detachment from civilization.

I have been to every state in the Union, many of them several times, and the state I find least pleasant/most foreboding is NM. It's got endless plains and at certain times of year (Mar-May) the sky is this heavy grey color but it doesn't rain. It just threatens. There are weird rock outcroppings and hills everywhere amongst the flat plains. Small towns dot the entire state because the whole place is devoid of civilization. Buzzards flap around. Dust storms happen. Every single small town I went to, every gas station I stopped in, had someone who looked very creepy and very desperate. It also has a high crime rate, a high poverty rate, and it has also been called the most corrupt policing in America repeatedly (the FBI released a paper a few years back that listed ABQ, NM police as the most corrupt in America, with the highest incidence of unjustifiable use of force and the highest incidence of departmental coverup attempts). For my money, NM is fucking awful and just right in that unsettling, everyone is desperate, nobody seems quite right, everything feels foreboding kind of way.
>>
As someone who lives in washington, washington is really fucking weird, especially on the penninsula. Lots of old, weird towns thar are all kinds of decayed.
>>
>>47808279
>delaware
>hills
>>
File: (34).jpg (34 KB, 612x410) Image search: [Google]
(34).jpg
34 KB, 612x410
>>47808098
May i suggest an european town ? Maybe eastern europe ?
>>
>>47808628
That was my original plan, since I'm a britbong and it'd be closer to home.

In the end I just decided to set it in America to get that sorta unique small town American feel. The kind that Deadly Premonition, Alan Wake and Twin Peaks have.
>>
File: Great Grey Owl.jpg (70 KB, 415x593) Image search: [Google]
Great Grey Owl.jpg
70 KB, 415x593
I should probably also mention that whatever place I end up deciding on needs to have owls. Or least have it be plausible to have owls there.

One of the strange things about the town in question is its large population of owls. Big grey bastards that like to stare at people from the woods.
>>
>>47809036
Washington or Oregon is your best bet my friend
>>
Or maybe Maine or Massachusetts for that old America, witch trials kind of spooky feeling. Old architecture, autumn foliage, etc etc etc
>>
File: 1462399795896.jpg (143 KB, 778x1000) Image search: [Google]
1462399795896.jpg
143 KB, 778x1000
>>47809036
>dem owls
>never what they seem
>>
File: owl-cave-map txt.jpg (265 KB, 1024x839) Image search: [Google]
owl-cave-map txt.jpg
265 KB, 1024x839
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.