[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Class Conflicts
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: Mara-front.jpg (180 KB, 433x646) Image search: [Google]
Mara-front.jpg
180 KB, 433x646
Hey /tg/, this might not be exactly /tg/ related, I'll preface this with saying I've never exactly gotten into tabletop RPGs or Wargaming (despite an interest) so maybe this won't exactly resonate with everyone.

Does anyone else have a problem maintaining a main class? Or at least deciding on one? I guess what I traditionally enjoy in characters throughout fantasy films/games/boardgames are skirmishers and raiders (outside of Total War games where I find them a waste of a slot ). Even when it extends to Magic there isn't that one color that stands out as enjoyable, and even if it stands out as enjoyable it doesn't have that flavor or lore that makes it really fun to use. The main thing I'm really wondering is how do you get past these things and really pick up something you end up sticking with? I'm just getting constantly frustrated by my indecision and can't seem to find a class for most RPG/MMOs.

Also thinly veiled request for cool Skirmisher/Raider-type art.
>>
>I've never exactly gotten into tabletop RPGs

Yeah, we can tell.
>>
>>47780699
>how do you get past these things and really pick up something you end up sticking with
Simple: you don't. Playing one kind of character all the time is boring as paste. Variety is the spice of life, and specialization is for insects.

I've been playing TRPGs for 10 years, and I've never used the same character build twice.
>>
>>47780856
This. It's the people who play the same character every single time that get annoying.

Though you do need to be able to stick with a character for a full campaign. Or at least until it dies, so you might find that you prefer a high lethality game.
>>
>>47780856

I suppose so. I guess I'm just frustrated because everything has an appeal to it and I don't know what to choose.
>>
>>47781796
Write down a list of the options that appeal to you. Cross off any that appeal less than others.

Once you can't reduce the list any further, put a number beside each entry. Then let the dice decide which you will play.

After playing that character, cross it off the list.
>>
>>47781826

I suppose, just wondering how you translate that across to MMOs, or MtG decks.
>>
>>47782100
>MMOs
Wrong board for that question

> MtG
I don't play it, so I can't help you there.
>>
>>47780699
I just play the warrior with plate, sword and shield in any game I play.
>>
>>47780856
Exactly. The joy of roleplaying is the sensation of crawling into someone else's skin, thinking their thoughts, challenging your brain to be the brain of a totally different person for a day. If you just put on the same skin over and over, though, it's gonna get all stretched out and worthless, and then your mother will never love you.
>>
>>47782100
>just wondering how you translate that across to MMOs
You don't.
As the other Anon said, this is the wrong board for such question, but the answer is sort of /tg/ related. You play what appeals to you at the moment, then when you get bored you pick what ever appeals to you at that moment. Just like rolling up a new character in a table top game. It's far too easy to get trapped in a mindset of "I have to pick what is best", fuck that. Just have fun.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.