[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
EDH/Commander General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 47
File: crater.jpg (27 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
crater.jpg
27 KB, 223x310
Banned Edition

RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
http://www.mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
http://www.tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
http://www.edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
http://manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
http://gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface
http://www.magiccards.info
>>
File: themeta.jpg (955 KB, 1550x1692) Image search: [Google]
themeta.jpg
955 KB, 1550x1692
r8/h8/appreci8

decks ordered by power level

post yours 2
>>
File: necro.jpg (30 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
necro.jpg
30 KB, 223x310
here's a card that should ACTUALLY be banned
>>
>>47777277
I'm sortof of glad the mono black player in my group hasn't discovered this yet, would make his deck a combo-fest to rival narset
>>
>>47777312

are you sure he hasnt just left it out for your sake?

i find it hard to imagine he doesnt know of the card
>>
I require spicy tech for mono-white stax
>>
Where do you draw the line between "git gud" and "social format"?

Let's say a player is running 5-color goodstuff and tries to curve boros reckoner into cryptic command into deity of scars, but a creeping mold wrecks his most important land and he durdles for the whole game. Who is at fault?

A player is running Alesha and runs a deck filled entirely with graveyard synergy and has zero utility cards. Another player drops rest in peace and he loudly proclaims that his "entire deck doesn't work" and begs the table to kill it. A player does attempt to naturalize it to be friendly, but the blue player counters it. Who is at fault?

Can you think of a scenario where it's appropriate to ask a player to go easy on the hate cards and let somebody's deck work? How much of an effort should a player put into being resilient and not being greedy on his deck's theme before the problem isn't the deckbuilder, but rather excessive hate?
>>
>>47777355
Considering he has been playing since revised and doesn't remember what is in his favorite set OG Mirrodin I doubt he knows it.
>>
>>47777531
>Let's say a player is running 5-color goodstuff and tries to curve boros reckoner into cryptic command into deity of scars, but a creeping mold wrecks his most important land and he durdles for the whole game. Who is at fault?
5c guy is a greedy bastard. If he has nothing at all to counteract the fact that his manabase is greedy as fuck, then he should accept the consequences of getting blown out by targeted LD.

In principle, the guy who neutered him is a dick, but he had it coming if he has nothing in place to counter a critical weakness of his deck.

>A player is running Alesha and runs a deck filled entirely with graveyard synergy and has zero utility cards. Another player drops rest in peace and he loudly proclaims that his "entire deck doesn't work" and begs the table to kill it. A player does attempt to naturalize it to be friendly, but the blue player counters it. Who is at fault?
Again, greed is the issue. That the blue player countered the removal makes him a dick, but the greedy player should consider shit like this.

>Can you think of a scenario where it's appropriate to ask a player to go easy on the hate cards and let somebody's deck work? How much of an effort should a player put into being resilient and not being greedy on his deck's theme before the problem isn't the deckbuilder, but rather excessive hate?
Don't be a greedy shit. If you are, accept that bad things will happen when your weakness gets targeted.

Nothing you described here is excessive hate. Excessive hate is the guy who missed two land drops early due to mana screw being hit by targeted LD 3 times in a turn. Excessive hate is when the table gangs up on one guy to reduce him to nothing but lands with no cards in hand because he played something scary but didn't win immediately. Excessive hate is kicking someone who's already down because you can, not because you should.
>>
>>47777127
Wait , did they actually ban Craterhoof?
>>
>>47777712
No. Fuck, seriously? It's a local meme.
>>
File: edh decks.png (891 KB, 1323x525) Image search: [Google]
edh decks.png
891 KB, 1323x525
>>47777160
It looks like you've got a good collection of decks around. A fairly balanced aggro/combo/control meta though it looks like you want more aggressive decks in your meta.

I'm currently being salty about tiers that people put generals in. Obviously there are generals that are better than others, azami over blind seer or whatever, but a well built and piloted suboptimal general will always be better than a poorly built and clumsily piloted top tier general.
Like my Zedruu is the deck with the dual lands and aggressive combos coupled with efficient removal and counterspells. It's no 1v1 beast, but it wins often because it's a reasonably well built deck and people consistently underestimate it.

>playing at the card store
>pick up game with some randoms
>one says "I've never lost to a Zedruu deck"
>well now's your time buddy
>give people some howling mines and shit
>play academy rector then soup verdict
>fetch mind over matter
>combo off with Temple Bell

game 2
>durdle for a few turns
>board wipe
>next turn enduring ideal reverbrated
>fetch rule of law + possibility storm
>lockdown enabled
>slowly burn everyone out with Purphoros and Heliod tokens
>eldrazi conscription + copy enchantment helps close the game
>>
>>47777531
No one is at fault in any of those scenarios except the faggots for getting salty. In a format like EDH there is nothing unreasonable about running grave or land hate when those are exceptionally strong strategies. If your deck is a one trick pony you should be prepared to deal with getting blown out every so often
>>
>>47777810

Yeah zedruu can definitely be strong, he's clunky but there's nothing weak about drawing extra cards and gaining life in your upkeep

The only reason I rated the zedruu deck last of the yellow players decks is because the other 3 are even better, his zedruu deck is quite strong
>>
No one in meta wants to run answers or removal and its driving me nuts. It isn't like we had low-powered decks either. People just refuse to deal with anything. This just leads to someone making a good deck, winning non stop for weeks because no one can or would stop them. That player then gets bored of just winning and makes a slightly worse deck. Repeat this for a year and everyone is running low powered decks and its down to a die roll who ends up winning by the time late game rolls around
>>
File: 9d7[1].jpg (29 KB, 550x405) Image search: [Google]
9d7[1].jpg
29 KB, 550x405
>2016
>painter's servant is still banned

Why would people do this? The RC has a stated policy of not banning cards you can deliberately be a dick with. Every supposed argument against unbanning Painter's Servant uses an example that involves people deliberately being dicks.
>>
>>47777127
Linking from other thread because I didn't notice there was two
>>>47777934
>>
>>47777990
This sounds hellish. Board wipes at least pretty much define the format more than anything other than commanders themselves.
I too entered into a meta where this was pretty much the case though.
In every game the one dude who had either RUG combo or King Brago won, except for when I focused all my interaction on him, at which point the shitty monogreen player or someone else would win. Everyone was playing solitaire, just trying to get their fat plays out first. UG was super dominant and I had one guy throw a shit-fit when I countered his harrow.
>>
File: yosei-the-morning-star.jpg (70 KB, 480x680) Image search: [Google]
yosei-the-morning-star.jpg
70 KB, 480x680
I've got a Yosei deck here, any suggestions?

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/yosei-sacrificial-edh/
>>
Strawpoll time:
Would you consider it rude for someone to make a deck with a commander you already run?

http://www.strawpoll.me/10487504
>>
>>47778108
>mono-white

Anon I..
>>
File: Image[1].jpg (33 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
Image[1].jpg
33 KB, 223x310
>>47777990
Do what I did and run spot removal and tutors the deck. You get to be a good combo deck, while ruining everyone's fun.
>>
>>47778108
Do you want to make it good and unbearable to play against?

Focus on ramp, stax, and sacs.

The best way to win is going to be to ramp Yosei out on turn 2 or 3 consistently, and then sac Yosei to lock the next most threatening player out of the game. You then try to repeat this process every turn with copius amounts of creature recursion, until you can set up a true stax lock. White naturally has less card advantage than the other colors, so you have to slow down their game to speed yours up (relatively speaking of course).
>>
File: mannichi-the-fevered-dream.jpg (82 KB, 480x680) Image search: [Google]
mannichi-the-fevered-dream.jpg
82 KB, 480x680
>>47778156
I know, but I'm kind of addicted to mono-colored decks and you can't stop me.

I also have a bit of a mono-red problem.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/mannichi-edh-3/
>>
>>47778234
>I know, but I'm kind of addicted to mono-colored decks and you can't stop me.

It's okay Anon. I have the same problem
>>
>>47778132
I'm never going to tell someone what they can or cannot build but i would prefer if it was built differently to the existing deck.
>>
>>47778108

Just to let you know, if you sacrifice yosei, you don't get his trigger if you use the commander replacement effect
>>
>>47778234
Hey, it's Mannichi-anon. Wondered where you fucked off to. How's the deck running these days, anon?
>>
>>47777522
Pls help
>>
Idk who remembers me but a while ago I said something about a Tasigur infinite deck with Hornet Sting as the kill

I've had the deck done for about 1.5-2 months and I've played in five EDH FNMs. The first one went alright, somebody managed to Jarad everyone to death. The second one I got to do the infinite mana+Tasigur-draw-my-whole-deck+Hornet Sting and kill everybody at the table.

Now the entire table focuses me save for my Zedruu friend who liked it when everyone got Stung to death. I'm talking people start directing entire combat steps at me, and I'm the first one to eat a kill combo.

Am I missing something about EDH? Am being le tryhard elitist faglord for having an mostly-unstoppable wincon, even if that wincon is "Deal you one damage over and over again"? I'm kinda steamed because "the shop EDH guy" said "Yeah we're all kinda tryhard honestly, I'm sure whatever you build will be on powerlevel with everyone else" but I've had several people come up to me after and tell me my deck is "fucking wicked but a kick in the nuts to play against" and I assume that's why I keep getting targeted. The same thing happened with my friend who build Sidisi Elves with a Craterhoof killcon and he won't play with them anymore.

I'm kinda bummed because I dropped about $1.5k in actual cash (not counting trades/borrowing/etc) to build it and now it's collecting dust until I can get to a GP to trade stuff off.
>>
>>47778227
Any recommendations of stuff to cut then?

>>47778285
I am aware, that is why I have stuff like Adarkar Valkyrie, Reya Dawnbringer, Yomiji, Who Bars the Way, Sigil of the New Dawn, Gift of Immortality, and Angelic Renewal

>>47778327
Cool, I guess I have a name now. I've been lurking on and off. At the moment there is a mono-planeswalkers Progenitus deck that is dominating my meta right now... It's making it annoying to run some of my favorite decks and I basically always have to be running my Reaper King control deck just to keep him from going off on turn 4.

>>47777522
Take a look at my Yosei deck, it has a few neat tricks in it.
>>47778108
>>
>>47777160
>>47777810
neither of you guys have a " just bought the mardu commander deck online but subb'ed in a few cards" guy? that plays kaalia? i envy your play groups
>>
>>47778437
>Cool, I guess I have a name now. I've been lurking on and off. At the moment there is a mono-planeswalkers Progenitus deck that is dominating my meta right now... It's making it annoying to run some of my favorite decks and I basically always have to be running my Reaper King control deck just to keep him from going off on turn 4.
Well, threadly reminder that namefags are cancer, though you're alright, so YMMV.

As for that Progenitus guy, all I can recommend is make a B/G deck based around tutoring for and recycling Aether Snap and Vampire Hexmage as hard as possible. Make it like Pharika or something so you have an amusing general to try and win with. Also, Aether Snap is a real card people should run more often.
>>
>>47778398

If you're deck is unfun to play against, it's probably what happens befor you combo off, not the hornet sting part

But regardless, in my mind the best way to deal with people ganging up on you is to slow roll, and also, to be patient

Ganging up is either a necessary evil (your deck really is a different power level to theirs), or it's a mistake, and somebody else in your playgroup is going to punish that mistake every time it happens until it doesn't anymore
>>
So I'm going to my first EDH game at my LGS tomorrow with precon Marath. Any suggestions or tips?
>>
>>47777751
They have not banned it
>>
>>47778497
I'm the zedruu player.
There are two Kaalia players in my meta. One runs Kaalia as Angel Tribal and it's a pretty sweet RWB control deck with fat angels as finishers. It's a fun deck to play against and Kaalia very rarely makes a t2 or 3 appearance. Run by a good friends sister. She's a fine player if a little slow and methodical with her plays.

The other is a shitty 'ramp out kaalia and start dropping fat' and seriously it's boring and a pain. The dude gets really salty if you kill Kaalia or remove the boots and starts complaining about how the game is unfun or that we're targeting him. It's more like
>we know for a fact you have Iona in your hand and I don't want to be locked out of the game you dipshit, exile Kaalia you may gain two life.

>>47778398
>fucking wicked but a kick in the nuts to play against
this is a hell of a compliment dude. Personally I think you should just keep playing it. If you notice some cards get a groan as a response then you should consider cutting them, but honestly Tasigur is an easy enough strategy to disrupt with instant speed graveyard hate or similar. I feel you bud, but BUG is a top tier color combination and Tasigur leads to a strong and hardy selection of tactics.
>>
>>47778561
I mean I don't think it's SUPER powerful, it's just a bunch of Tutors until I get an infinite mana combo (Pili-Pala+Architect or Arg Elder + Maze of Ith usually) and then I cast Tasigur, draw my entire deck, and loop Hornet Sting until people die.
>>
>>47778398

If your deck costs $1.5k + extra, then you should really be building it take on the entire table at once, archenemy style
>>
>>47778576
Pay attention, don't be afraid to ask what cards and commanders do, don't be a tryhard salty crybaby
If you can do all that you'll have fun (and be doing more than what most of /tg/ can do)
>>
>>47777810
>>47777931

i just started turning my zedruu into an enchantment control, any special tech i should know about?
>>
>>47778626
See >>47778627
Is it actually super powerful and I'm just drunk? It's pretty much a bunch of Tutors and I set up an infinite mana thing. Once I get infinite mana we can't find a way to disrupt it though, outside Orim's Chant + Iso Scepter on my upkeep.

>>47778639
EDH is expensive, plus I went out and bought ABUR duels and fetches in my colors because I knew I'd need them eventually anyway (it's probably where most of the bill came from). As far as the Archenemy thing, it almost feels like it's happening. I have to set up my combo immediately or I get bowled over in the first half hour or so.
>>
>>47778699

Pyromancer's swath is deadly
>>
File: WildResearch.jpg (30 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
WildResearch.jpg
30 KB, 223x310
>>47778699
This should be an automatic include.
>>
>>47778183
>>47778104
They're stand up guys outside of edh. I don't really want to ruin their fun or play a high level of solitaire myself. Honestly this situation has just burned me right out of EDH. I just play because its that or ignore my friends for 5 hours every time we meet up.
>>
>>47778812
I wouldn't think of playing spot removal as ruining people's fun though. You're interacting with them. They're the ones who want to play solitaire.

Every combo you Murder is 3 players happy, and one player briefly unhappy.
>>
>>47778759

not really

I mean it can be powerful but high variance cards like this are never auto includes
>>
>>47778725
I mean this in the nicest possible way, but the hornet sting gimmick is fucking asinine. When you go infinite with Tasigur, you can win with literally anything. You can take infinite turns and kill everybody with with a wind drake if you wanted. Your win con is Tasigur combo, not the hornet sting. Hornet sting is a pointless distraction in this discussion.

Now that we are being realistic about the situation, there are a number of reasons why you are being targeted so harshly. Do all of the decks in your group rush for a combo finish to end the game? Do the players attempt to fight for the board or attack with creatures at all?

If the other players are trying to fight for the board or use creatures at some point, and you're the only player trying to play solitaire, you're going to be targeted every time. Is that what is happening?
>>
>>47778725
>EDH is expensive
As a person that wants to get into EDH, I must ask: what is the cheapest you have ever spent on a deck? What is the most? What a "usual" amount you would expect to spend on a deck?
>>
To the anon with the Sedris deck from last thread: that deck is way too expensive and greedy mana-wise and you don't have enough lands
>>
>>47778912
It's cheap, on-demand tutoring whenever you want it. A little risk doesn't immediately invalidate a card, look at how Gamble sees play (even in Legacy).

In an enchantment deck, the cards hitting the grave shouldn't be a problem with enough recursion.
>>
>>47778838
Fair point. I'll give it a shot.
>>
File: 1463343834648.jpg (1 MB, 3000x2000) Image search: [Google]
1463343834648.jpg
1 MB, 3000x2000
are there are blue/white or green/white control style decks that are not horribly unfun to play against? Im wanting to get into EDH but I also dont want to be that guy whose gameplan revolves around not letting my opponent do anything
>>
>>47778959
The first deck I made I just made from the pieces of a ramp-deck that I didn't have enough playsets in and then fill in the gaps with things with high CMC laying around.
ez pz
>>
>>47778959

My decks are worth on average $250 but I spend no moe than $100 whenever I build a new deck, because I use the $10-$15 staples from old decks I take apart

My first ever edh deck was only worth $100 and it was decently strong

I also was lucky enough to buy a number of cards at much lower prices than they are at now (bad news for you as a new edh player)
>>
>>47778959
You can spend as much or as little as you want. EDH is only expensive if you demand to play only top-tier staples in your decks. There are a lot of highly effective and cheap cards in the format.

I personally find staples boring and look for cards that are a better fit with my particular commander whenever possible. Unless you are with a competitive group, you should be able to do the same and still be able to compete.
>>
>>47778959
not who you are relying to but..

min: 40$ for a jank mill deck. At the time. I ran it through tcgplayer just now and its worth 100$ now

avg: 350$ is what a lot of my decks price at

max: I don't really want to check. I know individual cards in my most expensive deck have a price higher than 100$.
>>
>>47778991

Yes there are

Control is more about answering your opponents plays than not letting them do anything

Stax decks are the ones that don't let your opponent do anything

You can play control in any color combo but card advantage is of the utmost importance so most control decks have either blue or black, but white green is still possible for a control deck, it just means you need to rely on greens card draw and both white and green's recursion and tutoring for card advantage
>>
>>47779020
>tfw all your decks price at under $60 and you don't know whether to feel proud or ashamed of yourself
>>
>>47778959
This is the cheapest deck I've ever bought. This is also the most expensive deck I've ever bought.

This is the only EDH deck I've ever bought. That being said, I wouldn't expect this to be the "usual" amount to spend on an EDH deck because I went a little all-out because I plan on using the expensive bits in other decks as well. StarCityJews does a lot of EDH articles iirc. It's EDH, you can spend as much or as little as you like.

>>47778919
There's a Lazav control, a Jarad dredge, a Zedruu group-hug, an Aurelia, and a Shattergang. The Sidisi Elves guy still has his deck together but never plays. Jarad and Aurelia (And Sidisi) are the only ones who actively try to win the game in a decent time period, the others durdle and jerk each other off for five hours and are mostly built out of cards they had from when they were in Standard, and then the owner tells them to fuck off so he can go home. So yeah, I guess I'm the only one that attempts to "solitaire my deck" and win the game.
>>
>>47778912
Mate Wild Research is possibly the best card in my Zedruu deck. Instant speed, repeatable tutoring, plus zedruu draws enough cards that the 'discard at random' clause can be safely ignored. It can tutor up counterspells, cyc rift, removal, plus it can get me any enchantment that I want. Further, Mistveil plains is a card and it makes any downside negligible.
Wild Research is a must-have in UWR enchantment control.
>>47778974
Too true my man. Hell, sometimes if you're running stuff like replenish in an enchantment control you want things in your grave. How does this sound for a card
>cast gamble multiple times a turn every turn
sounds fucking beastly imo.

>>47778959
I just built a Zada, Hedron Grinder deck last week, and there's about $80 of value in her, and I spent about $21, the rest I had lying around or were ten cent commons.
It is also the least consistent but most fun deck I have ever built.
>>
Everytime your commander would die/get tucked/etc, you can put it back in the Command Zone and it costs 2 more to cast, I get that.

And I also understand I can *choose* to have my Commander come back to my hand if someone tries to bounce it. Playing it from my hand is normal price?

Also, what determines the cost of my commander going up? Are they emblems? Counters? (Just curious if there was any way to interact with whatever mechanically causes the cost increase)
>>
>>47779166

as far as i know, the commander tax is just something everybody has to be aware of, not explicitly an emblem but you might as well call it an emblem since nothing interacts with emblems right now

usually we use a dice to count how many times you've cast your commander. multiply that number by 2 and add it to your commanders mana cost and you have what you need to pay to play your commander from the command zone

if your commander is in your hand, you can cast for its normal mana cost, no matter what the command tax counter is at
>>
I got someone to flip the table today
>>
>>47778971

I'm not sure you understand how the deck works

I never cast any of the high cmc creatures, I discard them to all my myriad looting spells and reanimate them

The only high cmc spells I ever cast are cyclonic rift, Conjurer's closet, and Sedris himself

As far as my land count, 35 is what I use in all my decks (with 8-15 ramp pieces) and I rarely get mana screwed, I won't say it's the optimal amount because I'm not an expert, but I don't find myself wanting more lands, especially since I have so much looting and card draw in general
>>
File: commorragh architecture.webm (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
commorragh architecture.webm
2 MB, 1280x720
>>47779061
so would something like http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/exploration-with-selvala/ be worth building towards? It doesnt seem too oppressive, looks like a blast to play, and I actually already have a lot of the more pricey parts of it. Only issue I see is that I would be relying on the commander for almost all of my draw
>>
>>47779129
>So yeah, I guess I'm the only one that attempts to "solitaire my deck" and win the game.

There is your problem. I completely understand not wanting to fuck around for five hours, but there is a very wide space between that and having a deck that is nothing but tutors and combo pieces.

The options your deck provides to your opponents are:
1: Kill me before I kill you
2: Die suddenly

Guess which one of these options they are going to choose? You have created a situation where you have to immediately die because that's the only possible conclusion the other players can reach based on a sound threat assessment.

Try cutting the tutors for alternate win conditions and utility cards. If you happen to draw combo pieces or you manage to draw a lot of cards with a big turn at some point, you will still win. However, this will improve your ability to present a more modest threat profile and better protect yourself at the same time.

Casting a grave titan may put a lower threat level on you than just casting increasing ambition, but the grave titan can block. It also gives you a way to reply to players who might threaten you with combat damage.
>>
>>47778108
I'd time spiral the shit out of your yosei m8
deck/10
>>
>>47779129
There's nothing inherently wrong with your deck anon. Solitaire offs can actually be fun. But you have to make sure you're playing on the same level as everyone else. The best way I've found to casualize decks, while still keeping them decently competitive is to replace all tutor effects (besides basic land search) with card draw spells.
>>
>not sure if I want to run Infernal Kirin, He Who Hungers or Kyoki for my Monoblack Meme deck
>>
>>47779147

yah i suppose in zedruu its good since you're running howling mines and drawing millions of cards

mistveil plains is good with it

my friend ran wild research in his numot the devastator deck and it only caused him heartbreak, thats why i said its not an autoinclude, but you make good points as to why its perfect for a zedruu deck with a focus on enchantments
>>
>>47779166
>Playing it from my hand is normal price?
Yes.

>Also, what determines the cost of my commander going up? Are they emblems? Counters? (Just curious if there was any way to interact with whatever mechanically causes the cost increase)
Nothing represents the Tax and never will. It's a part of the mandate of the EDH Rules Committee, they don't want it to ever be interactable. Just use dice, like everyone I've ever met.
>>
>>47779405
Run all three?
>>
>>47779323

that deck isnt great, its not awful, but its not great

mainly because lifegain isnt great, its not awful, but its not great

you should definitely aim to run more card draw
>>
>>47779405
I like Kyoki the least. You're letting your opponent choose what they want to get rid of. Even if you get a good engine going, giving your opponent options is never as strong as choosing yourself.

I also dislike Infernal Kirin, because they might not have anything in their hand that matches what you just played. HWH not only lets you get rid of one of their cards, but ALSO shows you their hand.
>>
>>47779323
>webm
how the fuck
>>
File: 1477-john smiles.jpg (88 KB, 1280x709) Image search: [Google]
1477-john smiles.jpg
88 KB, 1280x709
>tfw the stax engine gets online right at T3 and locks everyone out but me
>>
>>47779501
it's just perspective tricks dude look up eschers waterfall if you want an explanation
>>
File: 420gb.jpg (251 KB, 983x1013) Image search: [Google]
420gb.jpg
251 KB, 983x1013
>>47779324
>>47779379
Fair enough. When he told me "we're all competitive" I guess I went full retard. I guess my choices now are "turn it down" or "crank it the fuck up"

I fully intend on cranking it the fuck up until they tell me to stop playing the deck.
>>
>>47779323
WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK IS THIS SORCERY
>>
>>47778437
Cut:
Eternal Dragon
Fountain Watch
Lost Auramancers
Reya Dawnbringer
Elspeth
Gideon
Soul Foundry (IIRC it doesn't work with Yosei, and it doesn't seem cost effective with anything else in your deck)
Add in:
Skullclamp+tokens
Mentor of the Meek
Sol Ring
Thran Dynamo
Mana Crypt
Mana Vault
Chrome Mox
Mox Opal
Mox Diamond
Grim Monolith
Basalt Monolith
Gilded Lotus
Mind Stone

Also, I just noticed the combo with Equipoise. That's neat and sadistic anon. I really like you now. Good luck. I'm gonna try my hand at a yosei deck myself, purely because of that sick, sweet combo, and let you know my list.
>>
>>47779501

its not real
>>
>>47779552

its edited

not only is the whole contraption a perspective trick, the contraption does not in any way carry water throughout its structure, the video simply edits out the parts where he pours water into the higher levels of the structure
>>
>>47778497

>just bought the mardu commander deck

you mean the one that costs over $100?

are you living in 2011?
>>
>>47778529
Noted.

Honestly I am thinking of building a RW land hate deck specifically to counter his bullshit.

>>47778699
I like your style.
http://www.mtgvault.com/lomean/decks/1245424/

>>47779558
Thanks, I'll do some streamlining.
>>
File: META.png (3 MB, 2484x1128) Image search: [Google]
META.png
3 MB, 2484x1128
>>47777160
>>
>>47779662
My local game shop has about 6 of them for MSRP. Mind you, no one lives in this town and it's really a comic book shop with dusty MTG packs and Precons from Coldsnap still.

Guess I should buy some.
>>
>>47779698

hopefully he doesnt find out they sell for $250
>>
>>47779698

you should buy all 6, they are going for $250 on tcgplayer
>>
Does anyone have that phasing vs flickering infographic?
>>
>>47779718
He's a cool guy and just sells them at MSRP.

I usually get my "From the Vault : *insert whatever*" here from him for exactly MSRP and not a penny more.
>>
>>47778043
>it's 2016
>expecting Sheldon's Merry Men to do anything logical
>>
>>47779740
This place sounds like a slice of heaven

Savor it
>>
>>47779740
Sounds like you've made a few hundred dollars there bud. You'll also make him a few dollars just from buying it.
>>
>>47779735

no but i can explain if you like

reply if you want me to, this way ill give time for somebody to post the graphic if they have it
>>
>>47779773
Please do
>>
>>47777990
I played against 2 of these people last week, playing my Sydri mana rocks deck. You either need a faster solitaire or infinite disruption, or a little of both.

Shame too, because the two decks were Mizzix and Gitrog, and I wanted to see if I could beat them at their best, not worst.
>>
>>47779754
It's pretty cool. The owner is super old and is probably going to die within 5 or so years.

He kicks people out for swearing. Like if someone misplays or something and says "Shit!", he gets up and walks them out of the store. So, definitely eccentric.
>>
How do I into Shattergang Bros? They look fun
>>
>>47779811
Does he have any Coldsnap theme decks? Get all the shit you can, this place sounds rad
>>
>>47779837
I've been kinda fiddling with a list for a long time. They look fun as hell, but I'm having trouble coming up with something that's coherent and powerful.
>land d
>on death triggers
>2-4-1's
is where I'm at
>>
>>47779797

so "phasing" is an ability a permanent can have

what that means is at the beginning of your turn (not beginning of upkeep, beggining of turn, as you untap), all phased out creatures phase in, and all phased in creatures with phasing phase out

so what is phasing out?

phasing and exiling seem similar at first glance but they are quite different. there are a number of "zones" in magic, the battlefield, the graveyard, exile, your hand, the stack, etc. when a creature is exiled, it moves zones, either from the battlefield to exile, like with swords to plowshares, or from graveyard to exile with tormod's crypt, etc

when a creature phases out, it doesnt change zones. if that creature had an ability that said "when this creature leaves the battlefield" (see the card nevermaker), that ability wont trigger when the creature phases out

likewise when it phases in, it does not enter the battlefield, and any abilities that trigger when it enters the battlefield will not trigger

"flickering" is exiling a permanent, then returning it to the battlefield, it can be immediate or the return trigger can be delayed until end of turn. flickering will trigger both "leaves the battlefield" and "enters the battlefield" abiltiies, but it will not trigger "when this dies" abilities

there are a few similarities, when a creature is phased or exiled, it cant be targeted by spells or abilities (that target creatures, it IS possible to target an exiled card with a few special cards like riftsweeper), and any effects that apply to all creatures will not apply to phased out or exiled creatures
>>
>>47779875
Yeah. I actually bought a Snowscape deck there a few months ago.

Pretty sure Kjeldoran Cunning is still rotting on the back shelf. Not really a big fan of White.
>>
File: 1465857690789.jpg (67 KB, 606x496) Image search: [Google]
1465857690789.jpg
67 KB, 606x496
>guy in group prints of pictures of cards and puts them in sleeves
>says he'll buy the deck but its expenisve right now
>its fucking nath of the gilt leaf
>still playing this deck 5 months later
>nobody but me has a problem with this even though everyone else actually owns the cards in their decks

I'm starting to wonder why I play with these people
>>
>>47779893

oh and one more thing

when a creature is exiled then immediately returned to the battlefield (flickered, like the card cloudshift), it becomes an entirely new creature

any spells that were targeting it will fizzle, and any effects that applied to the original creature will end

for instance if you use sneak attack to put a creature into play, normally you would sac it at end of turn, but if you flicker it, you no longer have to sac it at end of turn, its a different creature with no such characteristic

the same is not true of phasing.

it is rare that you find phasing cards, in general, and rarer that you find a way to phase a permanent out and then back in within the span of a single turn (normally if you can phase a creature out on command, it will simply be phased back in at the beginning of your next turn)

but if oyu somehow phase a creature out and in, within a turn, if you had used sneak attack to put it into play, you would have to sac at the end of that turn, its the same creature, it just went somehwere else for a little while

and if you phased out a creature in response to it being targeted by a doom blade for instance, if it somehow phased back in before doom blade resolved, it would be destroyed (you will never see this come up, but now you know)
>>
anybody have a complete chaos deck? one that isnt interested in winning just designed to fuck with everything?
>>
File: 1465839943944.png (100 KB, 190x309) Image search: [Google]
1465839943944.png
100 KB, 190x309
I'm a n**b who just finished pouring $50 of upgrades into my Mizzix precon, who do I build now guys!?!?!?
>>
>>47779981
You should probably play the Mizzix deck first
>>
>>47779969
>>47779893

oh wait yet another thing

if a creature was phased out and phases in to start your turn, it doesnt have summoning sickness, because it never left the battlefield, it didnt come under your control this turn
>>
>>47780017
Oh I have been. I just meant I finally "finished" it.
>>
>>47779966
Why exactly do you care? Are the cards marked? Do you own stock in SCG or WOTC? Are you the owner the the lgs?
>>
File: 1.jpg (25 KB, 320x405) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
25 KB, 320x405
>mfw my friends don't like edh enough to meet up to play anything other than standard
>>
>>47779981
If you start building a new commander, its really only gonna be a bunch of like commons and uncommons without a viable strategy or any resiliency.

Stick with mizzix first, always go with your first commander. If you don't enjoy how he is playing, try someone different. Add green and play Riku.
>>
File: guns-replaced-thumbs-up-20.jpg (59 KB, 470x345) Image search: [Google]
guns-replaced-thumbs-up-20.jpg
59 KB, 470x345
>>47780043
>mfw my group slowly switched from 60-card FFA shitfests to EDH and it's a way better dynamic as a result
>>
>>47780047
Hmm, you know you're probably right. I've only really gone to 2 EDH nights at the local store, I am having fun though.
>>
>>47780038
Maybe because he's a lazy fuck? Most of the cards in the deck aren't even $1, if he at least got some convicing chinaman proxies that nobody could tell the difference with I wouldn't care but the fact that it is blatantly fake is what annoys me. I guess you would be fine with someone using a fake "$2000" deck then with your $400 real deck.
>>
>guy in group runs minimum 38 lands in every single deck he builds, without fail
>Bumps it to 40 if he's playing more than one color
>Wonders why he gets mana flooded

I keep trying to tell him that he could put rocks or mana dorks in those slots but he seems to hate artifacts. He must have got buttfucked dry by Daretti or Sydri once
>>
>>47779966
my meta has a 'rule' where only 10% of your deck is allowed to be proxies, there is also the 'intent' rule, i.e. just proxying expensive cards that you will never be able to afford is a no-no, but if you have a reasonable intent to get one then that's all good. This means that we can still run expensive cards that would otherwise require saving for, like I was proxying Serra's Sanctum for a while because I didn't want to drop $40+ on a land, and it means we can test expensive cards that may or may not turn out to be rubbish in our decks.
It's a casual game, and I'm not going to be salty if someone can't afford to buy all the cards at once. I also have no philosophical problems with proxies because I see no reasonable difference between 'real' cards and cards otherwise used to play the game.
>>
File: 1459142440809.gif (3 MB, 264x265) Image search: [Google]
1459142440809.gif
3 MB, 264x265
>>47780109
It's all good.

I don't have an EDH right now because I had to retire my Ghave deck due to how my meta was transitioning to. Now I just don't know what the fuck to build.

But, since you are a budget builder, sticking to one commander is all you can really do. You can build multiple EDH decks, if you have the funds to do so. For now, stay with mizzix.
>>
>>47780124

first off, you're the one who is saying the dude isnt using a crazy expensive deck, you're saying its a cheap deck, so idk why you're changing the discussion now to a proxied $2000 deck vs a normal $400 deck

secondly, i have no problem letting anybody proxy whatever they want to proxy.

playing against $2000 decks causes problems that are unrelated to whether or not the cards are real. if somebody has a deck that completely outclasses mine because of the presence of mana crypts and mana drains and mishra's workshops and timetwisters, im not going to enjoy playing against him, and i doubt he'd have much fun playing against me either

none of that changes if his cards are just print outs over basic lands

the only reason i personally dont use proxies is because i like the look and feel of real cards

is that what this is about? if so i sort of understand. print outs are rather ugly and i suppose if the dude is playing with print out for 6 months, id be tired of the eyesores in my edh games
>>
>>47780215
I changed it so that way your simple mind could understand since you didn't seem to understand the first time.

>There's no problem with letting people proxy what they want to proxy
Man you're right, I should go print out Bayou, Underground Sea, and Tropical Island and out them in my Sidisi deck because its ok, maybe toss in damnation too since $70 too much for me even though I work full time.

if somebody has a deck that completely outclasses mine because of the presence of mana crypts and mana drains and mishra's workshops and timetwisters, im not going to enjoy playing against him, and i doubt he'd have much fun playing against me either

Congratulations you have a fun group, my group is full lf tryhard who try to combl out by turn 4 and think its fun
>>
>>47780304

i have no problem with anybody proxying any of those cards

if you enjoy the game more with ugly print-out versions of these cards because they are that fun to play with for you, then play with them
>>
>>47780304
Your logic is stupid.

>That guy proxyed OP shit in his deck, it's not fun!

However

>That guy is rich and blew $2000 stacking his deck with OP shit! His win was fairly earned!
>>
>>47780124
Which is it? $2 cards or a $2000 deck?
Quit being such a prissy bitch. If you're getting btfo fix your deck to accommodate it.
Personally I'm okay with people building and playing anything they want. It's EDH, not the Pro Tour. If they want to go ham in the paint and whoop my ass, that's fine, I'm prepared. If they want to durdle and masturbate to their own boardstate, that's fine too. I love EDH in all its forms, and I'm damn good at it, good enough that my ego isn't so fragile as to be destroyed by pieces of paper. With all the proxies, alters, custom tokens and hentai playmats out there nothing phases me anymore.
>>
>>47780388

gotta say, i was with you until the hentai playmats

those still trigger me
>>
>>47780388
This. I can understand if it's a French EDH tournament with an entry fee and actual prizes and shit. No, keep your proxy bullshit out of that.

But amongst friends or casual play, who the fuck actually gives a shit?
>>
>>47780406
But it's kawaii uguu desu, fäm~~ ^_^
>>
>>47780406
I know two people who own those sorts of playmats, one of them uses it because he's really into that stuff I guess and one of them uses it as a way to psyche out his opponents at higher-level REL events and such.
>>
File: image.jpg (470 KB, 900x830) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
470 KB, 900x830
I'm in need of suggestions for intelligent 2-4 cmc choices for a dragon tribal deck. I like themes and all but I want it to be actually playable. What could help make a dragon deck more viable?
>>
>>47780481
I wonder if you can accidentally condition yourself to want to play cards when you're fapping or sprout a boner whenever you see a basic land.
>>
>>47780360
So you're saying if you had a lotto ticket that won $20,000 but lost it and someone else turned it in and got the prize over you that is fair? Good to know

>>47780388
>I'm damn good at it
[citation needed] never played against you so I wouldn't know if you're good or talking out of your ass, likely the latter.
>>
>>47780489
What's the leader? Color option is pretty important here.

>>47780519
There's no prize for winning casual EDH, sperg. See >>47780422
>>
>>47780519

>So you're saying if you had a lotto ticket that won $20,000 but lost it and someone else turned it in and got the prize over you that is fair? Good to know

id really like to know how you managed to think that was analogous to proxies in any way

in one scenario i lose 20k, in another i dont.
>>
File: 1465845384769.png (85 KB, 492x280) Image search: [Google]
1465845384769.png
85 KB, 492x280
>>47780544
>I don't play to win

Then why play at all?
>>
>>47780571
>Projection: The Post: The Movie
>>
>>47780571
I do play to win, but someone proxying cards does not invalidate my ability to win in a format like EDH.

You being mad at someone for proxying is literally the exact same at being mad at someone for being rich. It's absolutely moronic.
>>
>>47780578
>I can't think of anything else to say better use memes

kys amigo, go make a casual thread
>>
>>47780519
Doesn't matter if I am or not, I'm not the one butt blasted. My point is that you need to git gud so you won't be such a whiny bitch when you lose to proxies. Either up your game or grow some thicker skin.
>>
>>47780613
>call someone out for memeing
>use kys immediately after

Take your own advice first, hombre.
>>
>tfw I print undetectable quality proxies and sell them for $2 a piece and have flooded the market with fakes that are shitting all over retards

Feels good. The free market fixes itself.
>>
>>47780629
>You're just mad cause you lose to proxies

I win and lose to it seperate times, he's just a lazy fuck who can afford the cards but chooses not to buy them

>>47780638
>kys is a meme
Whatever helps you deal with your asshurt. I'll go proxy all the good shit since you see no problem with it
>>
>>47780544
I should have made it more clear, Kolaghan of course. I want to use the fury of the storm, because even if I cut down on the dragon theme for a more sensible base, it's like she has battle cry, even if she's alone. From there, even only one or two more dragons makes a pretty nasty bonus to any attackers, dragons or not. I love the idea, but black and red are not my colors, and I don't know what to look for.
>>
>>47780677
I already have all the good shit, so be my guest.

If you need proxy advice, I can help, or just sell them to you if you have USD.
>>
>>47780677
Nobody comprehends your position, you colossal faggot.
Please explain to us why proxies are bad.
If proxies are not inherently bad, please explain to us why it is important for this other player to purchase real cards.
Please also explain to us how proxied cards improve or detract from the game itself. (in clarity I'm supporting using printed off proxies rather than Chinese fakes or the name of a card scribbled on a basic land)
>>
>>47780693
Unless you're selling them as a chinaman I have no interest. If I play with fakes they might as well look nearly perfect although paper prints will do the trick :^)
>>
>>47780679

2 CMC = Dragon Hatchling (the pump is useful sometimes when people don't want to waste removal on it and you have nothing else to play)

The only things in the 1 and 3 CMC slot are sleeper/defender garbage, not worth including.

4 is when you finally hit "playable dragon" territory.

Thunderbreak Regent and Archwing Dragon are the two best 4 drop dragons IMO.

>>47780713
Make sure you double-sleeve them if you're using paper prints.
>>
>>47780677
Really having a hard time understanding the problem here. You JUST want him to spend money? For no discernable reason?
>>
>>47780711
>completely proxy a deck that wins turn 2
>its ok guys

I'm not really that mad as you think I am, I just don't like that I spend my money on cardboard to have fun when someone else prints out paper to blatantly copy top tier decks because their too lazy to build their own or just buy the damn cards
>>
>>47780713
Mine are better than Chinaman because I don't batchprint. The only thing I can't do right now is foil, because foiling curves the cards in a noticeable manner.

Most of the shit worth proxying is so old that it has no foil equivalent though, so not a big deal.

Honestly, other than a handful of old dual lands that really only matter if you drop them T1 or T2, I can't even think of any high-money card worth proxying that would make a difference in EDH.

What "proxied" cards are being used to beat your ass? Are you just bad at EDH?
>>
>>47780762
>blatantly copy top tier decks

Oh, this argument again.

>there are only so many cards that provide the interaction required for a specific combo
>if I wasn't the first guy to think of it, I'm not allowed to use it

Sorry new player, this combo is actually mine. Using it in your deck means you copied me!

Fuck off with your anti-net deck crying. You are literally shit.
>>
>>47778959
My first deck was Oloro. I bought the precon from my cousin for about $20 (he stripped a few cards, left is sol ring, deluge, and strix for some reason though) and spent about $40 for the rest of it.

It's nothing amazing, but I still really like the deck. It's pretty typical board control with multiple wincons such as storm herd (swinging or wiping the board with blood artist out), exsanguinate/debt to the deathless (does no cabal coffers or mana doublers make this less cancerous?), a pseudo infinite using confessor+skirge familiar+oloro, and the newly added triskaidekaphobia and test of endurance. I saw a post in one of these threads awhile ago about a guy who had players sign his stuffy doll whenever it kills them, so I've started doing this with triskaidekaphobia. My goal is to get to 13 signatures.

TL;DR money doesn't make a deck fun, it's what you do with it.
>>
>>47780762
So just to be clear, you DO like to spend your money on cardboard to have fun if someone is rich, buys the damn cards, and then kicks the shit out of you with them?
>>
>>47780788
>I lack creavity

Stop being a wise ass, now I can see why you got so mad. You can't handle when you get called out on your shit
>>
Man, Sydri rock aggro looks fun as fuck to pilot, but my group is sick of my artifact shenanigans so I worry I'd get hated off the table before I got to have fun
>>
>>47780762
That's a pretty dumb strawman.
Even Hermit Druid combo dies to a Relic of Progenitus or a well timed swords to plowshares.
Swords is literally a two dollar card.
I honestly don't understand how these game pieces change the quality of the game at all.
If someone beats you with a deck that has 10 duals 10 fetches and a mana crypt does that make the win more legitimate? I don't understand
>>47780828
Oh, now I see. You're just a fucking idiot.
Never mind then.
>>
>>47780820
Is this really hard to comprehend or is edh full of more naive players than I originally believed? Yes but I also have the money to afford the same cards and if I want I can get it. I guess edh is the poorfag fantasy
>>
>>47780711
Not that anon, but I'll bite.

If you can't afford a card, you should really assess your priorities. You don't NEED that $25 consecrated sphinx. You have an opportunity to find another way to win the game. A lot of these cards end up with super high demand just because of the impression that everybody MUST have them in a deck with that color. That isn't necessarily a good thing. If you're not going to work for that one extra hour it would take to afford a card, why not spend that hour thinking about your deck? Try to bring something unique to the table.

There isn't necessarily a problem with proxies, but there is often a mentality that leads players to believe they need proxies. This mentality is such that players should exercise zero discipline or tact in what cards they play, as long as they have access to them, by proxy or by purchase.

A good example happened at my last playgroup. A player proxied mana crypt and I poked fun at him for proxying a $100 card. Another player wanted to propose a house rule that a good looking proxy should be allowed to be fair to the players that couldn't afford mana crypt. My comment was "Do we really need a whole bunch of mana crypts in our games?"

I don't find proxies in casual games wrong, but I think the reasons behind them can be very misguided.
>>
>>47780850
>I got called out better call him an idiot and hope he doesn't reply

No let's keep this going, your bedtime isn't for another half hour
>>
>>47780836
It's a grand time. You can also do hilariously janky stuff like turning auras into artifacts and then into artifact creatures to have them fall off.

>>47780882
(you)
>reeeeeeeeeeee
>>47780861
a reasoned argument.
I however don't think that the reasonably arbitrary barrier of price should stop people from running the deck they want to run. For some people running a deck that isn't complete is tantamount to heresy. For some, like me, I have a limited amount of cash I spend per month on Magic. Sure I'll proxy that Cryptic Command or other needlessly expensive card until it comes to the time when I can buy it. Hell I've still got a proxied Tundra in one of my decks because it's less of a priority than finishing my fetchland collection.
However I agree with you about the mana crypt example to a degree. Though when my playgroup went through a time of having proxied Mana Crypts a lot of players swiftly learned that it's not always good and many players ended up dropping it.
Then we do have a casual 'intent' rule about proxies. One must intend to buy it or at least give it rigorous testing before proxying.
>>
>>47780882
Answer >>47780778 then for us.

>Honestly, other than a handful of old dual lands that really only matter if you drop them T1 or T2, I can't even think of any high-money card worth proxying that would make a difference in EDH.

>What "proxied" cards are being used to beat your ass? Are you just bad at EDH?
>>
>>47780978
>Cryptic Command
>needlessly expensive

Hahahaha nigga it's 30 dollars. How are you the one accusing people of EDH being a poorfag fantasy, you're poor as fuck.
>>
>>47781001
$30 singles are bullshit really. I don't think any singles outside of ABUR and other collector bait should be over $20.
Inb4 poorfag. Just because I disagree with the price of something doesn't mean I don't have the means to get it.
>>
>>47781001
Thirty dollars is needlessly expensive for a damn children's card game. If you can't think of a hundred things that are more important to put that thirty dollars toward then you are either a child or live an otherwise extremely sheltered life.
Some of us are saving for retirement. Some of us have other costs that come first like children or small business.
Nowhere did I argue that EDH is a poorfag fantasy. You are hopelessly grasping at straws and not expanding your position. I think you've pretty clearly proven yourself an idiot who is incapable of providing a cogent or coherent argument.
>>
>>47780978
>For some, like me, I have a limited amount of cash I spend per month on Magic. Sure I'll proxy that Cryptic Command or other needlessly expensive card until it comes to the time when I can buy it. Hell I've still got a proxied Tundra in one of my decks because it's less of a priority than finishing my fetchland collection.

What if you opened your mind to the possibility that your deck is complete without cryptic command? This is the sort of thing I'm talking about. Cryptic command isn't some sort of necessary flavor piece to make your deck work, it's just an above-average instant. There is a good chance that a 25 cent card might have even been better off in that slot for your deck. Now, if you just wanted to have a proxy as a placeholder for something you really wanted to own, that's fine. You do you now.

Let's say for a second that proxying wasn't an option. What would you do? It's a bit less gaudy to see the value in cards you already have. I don't know how competitive your group is or how vital the options of cryptic command were in your games. From personal experience, I can't say that I've ever had a commander group where I thought "this game would be so much more enjoyable if every player with X color played X staple."
>>
>>47780571
My deck loses all the time and I'm still quite happy playing it. I'm just happy to be able to play a long game of magic with four to six other people. I dont take edh all that serious right now and just really like having a block of my time taken up by playing a game I like with people I usually dont want to murder.

Now if we were drafting or playing standard or something that actually mattered, I'd give a shit and want to crush you. Edh Is different to me, I'm happy when I win, but its not the reason I came to play in the first place, its just a bonus.
>>
>>47781174
>Cryptic command isn't some sort of necessary flavor piece to make your deck work, it's just an above-average instant. There is a good chance that a 25 cent card might have even been better off in that slot for your deck.
>Cryptic command isn't some sort of necessary flavor piece to make your deck work, it's just an above-average instant.
>There is a good chance that a 25 cent card might have even been better off in that slot for your deck.
>>
>>47780814
>my goal is to get thirteen signatures on triskediaphobia
I like you. Why don't people get that edh is to have fun?
>>
>>47781233
Because WAACfags pervert everything they touch
>>
>>47781226
You have access to a much wider cardpool than modern, the format that drives Cryptic Command's price. While I will admit to not enjoying monoblue control (more of a combo player), one blue instant that costs under a dollar that I personally like more than Cryptic is Gush.
>>
>mfw I am the guy who didn't like the one in my group playing with proxies
>now there's everyone getting mad

Goddamn I didn't mean for my post to cause a shitstorm
>>
>>47781174
Well the Cryptic Command example is a poor one in actuality. I was running it in a 3 color deck and it turned out to perform poorly. In this case Counterflux turned out to be the better card which is a 25 cent card.
But you make a good point about the 'necessity' of proxies. I guess proxies aren't 'necessary' to the enjoyment of the game and that limitations inspire creativity.
If I were not able to use proxies my Zada deck would be worse because I'm having trouble finding the cantrips among my friends and people at the stores and I'd rather make a large order than a few twenty cent commons. That's not a great reason however.
I guess I'm comfortable having a few proxies in my deck, and I'm comfortable with having my opponents use them, and I'm comfortable precisely because the cards don't tend to be that much more powerful for their price. Some exceptions exist like Mishra's Workshop because that shit is wack in the right deck and kinda unfun to play against.
>>
>>47780144
38 is fine if you are not doing partial Paris.
>>
>>47781312
gush and cryptic don't do the same thing
>>
>>47780144
I usually run 36-38 land with about 3-4 rocks, maybe 2 if I have mana dorks in it as well. It usually takes LD to make people realize they should start using rocks.
>>
>>47778639
Im hitting 700 after my next purchase, But thats 60% of the value in foils.
>>
>>47781377
They draw cards. Like I said, monoblue control isn't remotely my thing, so I have never felt any desire to add Cryptic to a deck. I guess Remand and Dream Fracture, both of which I have run, would be better comparisons.
>>
>>47781491
I have 1.4k left to sink into my pet deck. It's already at something like 4k. I've spent too much on this deck.
>>
>>47781343
>Well the Cryptic Command example is a poor one in actuality. I was running it in a 3 color deck and it turned out to perform poorly. In this case Counterflux turned out to be the better card which is a 25 cent card.

This is pretty much my point. There isn't anything wrong with proxies, the reasons behind them sometimes don't do you any favors. I would rather play a deck that made my group feel like they didn't need proxies and that buying 50 cent cards isn't a sign of weakness than propose proxies as an equalizer.
>>
>>47781503
Anon what the fuck are you doing

Seriously what the fuck

You could build 10 good EDH decks with that kind of money
>>
>>47781408
Yeah 36-38 is fine. I cut it a little lower to around 33-34 if I'm running MLD so I can fit more rocks in
>>
>>47781577
I have. Kozilek is my pet deck, I spare no money on that deck. I only need about 9 cards to complete it, but it turns out that foils of Dark Depths, Grim Monolith, and Metalworker are more than $500 USD combined, so fuck me. I think I'm gonna flip off my Lotus and finish the deck.
>>
>>47781577
>I should tell people how to spend their money
>>
>>47781607
I said no such thing, that anon can spend however he likes, I'm just in awe

I have a pet deck that's worth, like, a tenth of that, I wish I had that kind of dosh
>>
>>47781643
Been playing for a long time, my collection is deep, anon, I've made literally hundreds of EDH decks (I learned EDH from judges when it was a judge-only thing). I finally found a second deck worth pimping out (Radha was my first, I've had it since Radha was new) so I've been sinking cash into Kozilek for the last few years.
>>
>>47781602
>Full Foilization of commander decks

I truly can't understand how people can do this unless you have mad dosh some cards cost and on top of that, how do you fully foilize a deck if you have a card that was only ever printed in commander?
>>
>>47781695
>how do you fully foilize a deck if you have a card that was only ever printed in commander?
You can't. The trick with those is to get them pimped in some other way. Personally, I get cards that lack foils altered to be something awesome (I have a Basalt Monolith from 2001: A Space Odyssey, for instance).
>>
>>47781690
>I learned EDH from judges when it was a judge-only thing
That's pretty neato

What would you say are the funnest decks you've built over the years?
>>
>>47781695
Don't use that card.
>>
>>47781719
>What would you say are the funnest decks you've built over the years?
Oh shit... uh.... there are so fucking many, anon. I've played literally everything you could name. Most fun? I had a Niv-Mizzet 1 storm combo deck years ago that was sick. I've piloted a Ramirez DePietro pirate themed deck that was mostly from Portal:Second Age that was a good time (bad, but really enjoyable). There was an old-border only R/G Legends deck helmed by Livonya Silone that was a damn fun time to run. I've also run hard combo lists like Marelen of the Mornsong, Sharuum, and Sliver Queen. All depends on what you find fun.
>>
>>47781733
But what of that card is kindof a thing that works well in your deck compared to other cards?

>>47781717
I guess I can understand that.
>>
>>47781771
>I guess I can understand that.
Persnally, I just like my deck looking sweet. It's a personal accomplishment, nothing more. I'd rather have a few dank as fuck EDH decks that I'll keep as long as Magic survives than have dozens of decks I tear apart on a whim. Just me though.
>>
>>47781719
Funnest deck I have ever built is Zada.
Never have I had more fun losing to my own spells than with this deck. But it does everything, a bit of combo, bit of goblins, a bit of card draw and token generation, a bit of turning creatures sideways. It can win in one explosive turn, or by more traditional aggro over some turns.

It's also not very good. I'm running Possibility Storm and the lose the game extra turn cards, sometimes I type-cascade into a Final Fortune. It loses to boardwipes, even though it can rebuild pretty fast. Targeted removal doesn't do much because often you can target Zada with a cantrip and still get value. It is possible to draw yourself out in long games. Getting a right balance between creatures, tokens, zada enablers and pumps is tricky.
>>
>>47781799
I personally don't like playing with foils, the quality seems cheaper like they make them less sturdy to look pretty, even with sleeves I feel like you have to care more for foils to prevent them from getting fucked up.
>>
>>47781087
Legacy player here. I came to laugh at you.
>>
>>47777810
Post your Xira Arien list for a laugh.
>>
>>47781831
Do you have a list? I've wanted to build her for a hot minute now, the deck seems like it could just go nuclear and kill the table off of resolving a single spell, which is the kind of shit I love
>>
>>47781832
I get that, but double sleeving and nice cases are easy ways to fight the bend. Kozilek has almost not bent cards now, due to a snug fitting box and good sleeve control. You can do it, anon, it just takes a little practice.
>>
I have a question. If I give Polukranos deathtouch and then pay his monstrous cost, dealing damage to a bunch of creatures and killing them, will they still deal the damage even though they've already been destroyed by Polukranos' deathtouch?
>>
>>47781866
I'm afraid I don't, dubsman.
I would guess it's a pretty common build. I'm just running Possibility Storm, all the Final Fortune effects, at least 13 cantrip effects, Temur Battle Rage, Titan's Strength, the red giant growth, Downhill Charge, 3 other trample effect. Check EDHrec for ideas.
I found Lords to be all terrible topdecks, I have cut them all after a few days of playing. One drops which do something are good, Signal Pest is commonly MVP and one drops can lead to a pretty big storm count for Empty the Warrens.
I've tried to keep my cmc very low, mana rocks low and if they exist they replace themselves. My highest cost thing is Myr Battlesphere because a 5 for 1 is generally ok. Only rocks I run are Mind Stone, Hedron Archive, Sol Ring, red ruby, and fellwar stone. Lowish land count because the curve is so low, 34 or 35.
>>
>>47781963
Deathtouch only applies to combat damage. The damage spat out by Polukranos becoming monstrous isn't combat damage.
>>
File: slobad_its_good.png (880 KB, 1372x639) Image search: [Google]
slobad_its_good.png
880 KB, 1372x639
Hey wizards, does this play work out in Slobad's favor?

Do "until end of turn" effects persist through the end of turn (until the stack is clear and it is the other player's first phase)?
>>
>>47782031
Slobad lives. The Mogg Cannon destroys him at the beginning of the end step, but he retains Indestructible until the cleanup step.
>>
>>47782029
>Deathtouch only applies to combat damage.
Nigga NO

That is INCORRECT
>>
>>47782057
Oh, I was confused by rule 702.2b, sorry.
>>47781963
Then they should die before dealing combat damage, unless you made him monstrous on the combat damage step (why would you do that)
>>
>>47782029

HOW CAN ONE MAN BE SO WRONG???
EVERYONE LAUGH AT THIS MAN

>>47781963

Deathtouch would kill them, but Poulk would still eat the damage because it's part of the resolution of the ability.
>>
>Smug Prossh and Maelstrom players hate the new guy out of the game
>Take it upon myself to unleash the full force of STAX and lock them the fuck out
>new guy looks on in awe as I beat them to death with shitty fliers while their expensive cardboard can't do shit about it

Have you ever seen the look on a Prossh player's face when you flash in a Hushwing Gryff and completely fuck up his combo? It's absolutely magical.
>>
File: Surrak_Dragonclaw.jpg (118 KB, 1253x918) Image search: [Google]
Surrak_Dragonclaw.jpg
118 KB, 1253x918
How would you guys build a deck with Surrak Dragonclaw as the Commander?

So far this is what I have and I'd like some feedback and tips on some cards I could be using. Any budget welcome, this is just what I could throw together with the cards I currently have.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/11-06-16-surrak-edh/
>>
>>47782082
>>47782088
So, it would still resolve with them dealing the damage even if they aren't there on the battlefield as it resolves. The way it's worded is that Polk does the damage, then they do their damage, or does it happen all at once?
>>
>>47782110
Ramp

Run high power creatures with global effects

You could run infect creatures (like Phyrexian Hydra or whatever) and force your opponent to block, then flash in Surrak to swing with a trample infect tokens over the toughness of the blocker + other combat tricks
>>
>>47781956
Eh none of my stuff is worth sleeving right now. I don't tend to sleeve things unless the overall card value is $50+ or the deck overall value is $500+
>>
>>47782110
Needs Rite of Replication, Cyclonic Rift, Tooth and Nail, Insurrection, Chaos War, and maybe a Yavimaya Elder.

I'd cut some of the jankier creatures to make room.

Remember that EDH is a very removal/boardwipe heavy format, so having lots of cards that rely on other cards being in play is a big risk. Cards with ETB effects or death effects are more valuable than a huge fatty.
>>
>>47778919
>kill everybody with with a wind drake if you wanted
the card you are thinking of is Storm Crow
>>
>>47782206

Yeah, I'm new to EDH and the group I'm playing with are as well so there's not much I can expect from them

I just saw the guy in my card piles and thought he was cool. Plus I never really played Temur colors and never played green
>>
Well, finally updated by Kothophed list at long last, personally it's been pretty successful, could do with a couple more hate cards or at least stax stuff. When I get my stuff out of storage, I'm grabbing my Contamination and putting it in, same with an Infernal Darkness. I may add a Bubbling Muck eventually, not sure since it isn't as abusable as High Tide, but still, it's a fat mana deck, the mana doubling effect may be good for it.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/kothophed-surf-boarder/
>>
>>47782144

Not really.

> When Polukranos, World Eater becomes monstrous, it deals X damage divided as you choose among any number of target creatures your opponents control. Each of those creatures deals damage equal to its power to Polukranos.

It's all one ability. State based actions like checking for lethal damage won't resolve until the ability is finished. It's the same reason you can't use a Mystical Tutor after you shuffle your deck with Mind's Desire.

If that's not enough, here's the official ruling:
> As Polukranos’s triggered ability resolves, Polukranos deals damage first, then the target creatures do. Although no creature will die until after the ability finishes resolving, the order could matter if Polukranos has wither or infect.

Infect/Wither matters because if you deal 7 damage to a 4/4, it will do 0 damage and then die.
>>
>>47782411
It's a good foundation. Your mana base is in the right direction, the ratio of creatures to other stuff, etc, it's all good.

The issue is just that the format has access to so many cards. Wrath effects are 4-6 mana for a full board wipe. You could spend 5 turns and most of your mana and your hand setting up a board and someone can wipe that with a single card.

Rite of Replication is good because it demands an answer. If you play it kicked on something with haste on an ETB effect, it can win the game in one shot. I always run it if I have blue in my deck. Probably my favorite card.
>>
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/nekusar-so-far/
Any recommendations on what to add or remove?
>>
>>47782473

The commander.
>>
>>47782437
Oh. Well, thanks anon. Guess that changes my gameplan with him then.
>>
>>47782473
>Oh. Well, thanks anon. Guess that changes my gameplan with him then.
>>
>>47782586

Giving him Deathtouch is still a great plan, especially for a color that lacks sweepers like Green. You can also give him indestructible or even regenerate him, too, neither of which are uncommon in green. Hell, protection works, too.
>>
>>47778959
Cheapest? $0. I made a Nekusar deck out of cards I had lying around. It had the annoying "make everyone draw cards" thing, but it was mostly just Grixis jank. Most expensive was around $200 (Colorless Eldrazi big n' stompy creature deck).

On average, my decks have ranged between $80-$150. But, the price doesn't usually matter. I have friends that spend hundreds on a single deck, but I'm able to contend and defeat them. It's all about having answers, a solid strategy, and knowing what to do at the right moment.
>>
>>47781831
Same here anon. Zada is my favorite deck to run. My favorite play was when I was in a 4 player game with a mazirek combo deck and 2 others. He went infinite with woodfall primus and broke all the lands. The other players scooped.
I drew my card, played my land, played expedite to draw 10, then cast Blazing shoal pitching Chancellor of the forge and swung for 80ish to win it. Everyone, the mazirek player included, was rolling after that play.
>>
File: Image.ashx.png (134 KB, 223x311) Image search: [Google]
Image.ashx.png
134 KB, 223x311
>>47782586
>>47782473
You're a little high on mana, almost half your deck is land and you've got a good set of rocks, you can probably come down a few. Looks like you've got it figured out, I'd shoot for a few more Wheel effects and call it good to go. Grab an Arjun, too.
>>
File: 7426_200w.jpg (27 KB, 200x285) Image search: [Google]
7426_200w.jpg
27 KB, 200x285
Made this at work.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/everything-will-be-okay/

It's actually kind of adorable.

>Blinding Powder + Beacon of Destiny
>>
What's a good mana base for a WU weenie aggro deck?
>>
I have a chrome mox from EMA, is it worth running in commander (maybe for a fast low CMC deck, like Edric?) or shall I trade it for something else? Looks like Chrome moxes have been at pretty flat value for a long time so I am guessing it isn't going up any time(?)
>>
>>47782647
This is astounding. Bless you. I really want to play this now.
>>
>>47782764
It's garbage in EDH. It's like a worse Command Tower.

>But it counts towards your artifacts!

It's only good as a 4x in affinity decks. Trade that shit.
>>
>>47780489
Storm. It's a really convoluted combo, but you can deal hundreds of damage with dragonstorm in edh if you can hit storm 9 or so.

So in answer to your question: for 2-4cmc cards to include in dragon tribal? cantrips, rituals and untap effects.
>>
>>47782764
Any 0 CMC mana rock is good in EDH, so long as you include a lot of ways to draw cards.

>>47782792 here probably doesn't. He probably stuffs his decks with craw wurms, and sits most of the game out with an empty hand.
>>
Newfag here, where do you all buy your cards? I was just gonna use TCGplayer to get what I needed for my Rakka deck, but the $1 minimum for each store their is really shooting up the price.
>>
>>47782972

TCG for more expensive stuff, and Coolstuff for bulk. I usually check with my LGS first cause he hooks me up.
>>
>>47783001

Anything on this list that warrants TCG, or would Coolstuff be the safer bet?

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/11-06-16-through-the-fire-and-flames/

Most of it seems like bulk to me, friend of mine sure as hell insists it is given it's Mono-Red in EDH.
>>
File: smug elves.jpg (259 KB, 960x800) Image search: [Google]
smug elves.jpg
259 KB, 960x800
>>47782905
How could he have an empty hand if his deck was full of Craw Wurms?

Being able to play them would suggest insane ramp... like mana rocks.

Your analogy is weak, old man!
>>
>>47783063
>willingly buying a mono-red EDH

If you're dead set on it, Coolstuff, TCG or StarCity will honestly be all roughly the same price for this deck since there's no real value cards/chase rares in that list. Whatever has the cheapest shipping.

I implore you to reconsider though. 3 color is the name of the game.
>>
>>47783087

I just built a U/W out of scraps with my friend, so I got something beyond Rakka to play. Plus the guys down at the LGS are more than willing to share their decks, used somebody's Nath, and another's R/W/U wall tribal.

Which 3 do you run? I've considered Narset and Marchesa, but Narset might be shit on a budget.
>>
>>47782106
Hushwing doesn't work on Prossh, she gets the kobolds on cast.
>>
>>47782031
I really can't see much reason to include those other cards in the deck though. At the end of it, what do you get? A 3/3 flying artifact that can become indestructible by saccing an artifact. There are much better 3-card combos involving generals than this and many of them can win the game outright. Furthermore, I don't see including either of the artifacts in a slobad deck for any reason other than this silly combo.

It's cute, but a waste of deck space.
>>
>>47782106
Yea, they usually laugh because that doesn't work at all how you think it does. Pretty sure you mean Containment Priest.
>>
>>47783198
UBR for fun, GUB for being a dick.
>>
File: 1428287123871.jpg (85 KB, 480x680) Image search: [Google]
1428287123871.jpg
85 KB, 480x680
Post your secret tech! This little card has ruined more white and blue players than you'd ever imagine.
>>
File: 1434036165275.jpg (58 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
1434036165275.jpg
58 KB, 312x445
>>47783339
Time Walk in white, or as close as it gets.
>>
>>47783339
Neat. Misdirection for 2 without the exile.
I might actually play this with a few other cheap 'fuck counters' in my sliver deck.
>>
File: 1427004899589.jpg (32 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
1427004899589.jpg
32 KB, 223x310
>>47783339
Creatureless black monster, makes the game turn into a political nightmare.
>>
File: 1428299445450.jpg (34 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
1428299445450.jpg
34 KB, 223x310
>>47783339
Fog in black
>>
File: 1441765821881.jpg (31 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
1441765821881.jpg
31 KB, 223x310
>>47783339
Drop this guy turn 3 and build your combo. No one's coming for you on the ground and no generals are landing for long.
>>
File: Image[1].jpg (26 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
Image[1].jpg
26 KB, 223x310
>>47783339
Sensei's without payment in green.
Cheap realbux, too.
>>
File: 1431372106220.jpg (93 KB, 669x310) Image search: [Google]
1431372106220.jpg
93 KB, 669x310
>>47783339
>>
>>47783396

I suppose this guy is better than most cards that do something like this

Your opponent has to have blue mana or they can't use it, which is the main problem of cards like perplexing chimaera
>>
>>47783416
Awful lot of steps for just opponents just discarding their hands.
>>
File: 1427065881173.jpg (485 KB, 936x445) Image search: [Google]
1427065881173.jpg
485 KB, 936x445
>>
>>47783436
It also dredges your entire deck into your yard. That's a pretty big deal.
>>
Goblin chaos dude here
thoughts?
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/chaotic-zerg-rush/

(bear in mind its the first draft)
>>
File: Slaughter_EX.jpg (67 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
Slaughter_EX.jpg
67 KB, 312x445
>>47783339
Everyone expects the mono-black deck to have kill spells. What they don't expect is to see the same kill spell over and over again. Especially brutal in my Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet deck because it basically becomes a repeatable Silence the Believers
>>
>>47781502
The point of cryptic is that it has 4 modes that are all relevant. There isn't actually another card that does the same thing
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 47

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.