[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is this the warham movie we never got?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 22
File: 1.jpg (91 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
91 KB, 1920x1080
is this the warham movie we never got?
>>
>>47772029

No. Its a Warcraft movie.

Its literally the title of the film.

Come on, anon. Get it together.
>>
no, it's the warcraft movie we always asked for done in the way we never wanted
>>
So, opinions about the movie? The orcs are too big and cartoony in the trailers to take them seriously.
>>
>>47772115

I went into it with no knowledge of Warcraft beyond 'its a series of games that I never played'.

Its solid. Not amazing, but solid.

It never quite escapes the gravity well of the fantasy swords and sorcery genre that it is, but it was never going to. So they didn't even try, which was a good decision. Instead of trying to be something they were not, they embraced the fact that its a generic fantasy universe and just rolled with it with a straight face.

The plot is decent enough for what it is. They actually did a couple of things I was not expecting them to do (but probably would have known about in advance if I was more familiar with warcraft lore) and they avoided the obvious pitfalls I was expecting them to do. They never try to do the Lord of the Rings thing, which I just sort of assumed they would have to do in order to make $$$. There are elves and dwarves that we see for a couple of scenes, but none of them ever join the party or really do anything tremendously important for this film. The action is firmly focused on the humans and the orcs.

It is, however, obviously a small glimpse of a much larger and more detailed setting. There were some times where I felt I was not getting the full story simply because there was not time to explain the true significance of a given person or place, but there was only one time where I felt this actually disadvantaged the plot (the movie explains the basic premise of Fell Magic at the start, and later on we see that magic do some stuff to people that doesn't feel like it fits with the explanation that we were given. Its not enough to sink the movie, but it did come off as a weakness).

The movie ends on a decent note, having resolved the most immediate conflict but leaving enough important (and in some cases still evil) characters on both sides that this is very clearly an unresolved 'part 1' of the story with an open hook for future stories.

Pacing felt a little rushed at times.
>>
>>47772115

The Good:
>It straight up looked like the games
>Plenty of "Hey it's that guy!" moments, like how you always saw Grom in the background
>Surprisingly easy to follow the fight scenes; you could always tell Lothar, Llane, and Garona apart from the rest
>Kickass music
>Lothar himself was pretty cool and it was awesome seeing him kick ass in that first fight scene
>CGI was conspicuous but they made it look like an art style
>None of the actors were phoning it in. It felt like most of them were fans of the series and all put in actual effort

The Bad
>Plot was a retcon of Warcraft 2 with a bunch of stuff which made no sense
>Unless you know Warcraft lore like the back of your hand you couldn't possibly have known what was going on
>Multiple characters butchered; Garona, Orgrim and Gul'Dan are the most offensive examples
>Llane sacrificed himself solely because writers didn't want Garona to be a villain in this movie
>The orcs are the biggest bunch of wish-washy faggots I've ever seen in an antagonist faction.

The Ugly
>I never imagined Lothar looked or sounded like some weird viking Christopher Lambert. In the lore he's described as this hulking, quiet Ned Stark-kind of guy.
>Some of the orcs looked really weird, especially the females and Blackhand
>Khadgar never got his age-up.
>It's obvious the next one will be about Thrall.
>>
Dirty poo skin orcs should go back through the portal to where they came from.
>>
>>47772029
No, it's a Warcraft movie.

You fucking retard.
>>
what happened to the warcraft threads? they were so comfy?
>>
>>47772029
>Chris Metzen's White Guilt: The Movie
I'm not really familiar with Warhammer Fantasy, but I'm pretty sure that it's thematically a bit different.
>>
>>47772029
You are the reason everyone hates warhammer fans.
>>
>>47772302

Should? Possibly. It would be justice for them to die with the world they destroyed.

But its understandable that they don't want that. Most of them don't even have any control over the forces that destroyed their world, their only crime is wanting to survive.
>>
>>47772029
Nope
>>
>>47772348
Him and every other warhammer fan.
>>
>>47772246
>The action is firmly focused on the humans and the orcs.
That's because it's based on the events of Warcraft: Orcs and Humans. If they end up making another movie and continuing the storyline, all the other races will start getting a lot more screen time.
>>
>>47772252
>garona doesn't end up killing lane

for real tho?
>>
>>47772355
The Draenei got along pretty well in Outlands. Who says the Orcs would have died there?
>>
>>47772395

No, Garona did kill Llane.

At the climactic battle, Llane tells her she needs to kill him because he's worth enough honor points for the Horde to welcome her back and listen to what she has to say. He believed it was the only way a peace could be negotiated.
>>
>>47772484

Its worth pointing out, for context, that Llane was dead anyway. It was him and like 5 dudes in the middle of a battle against overwhelming odds with no chance of escape, and a big badass mofo working his way through the fight specifically to murder the shit out of Llane.

Llanes choices were to die at the hands of the enemy and be a trophy kill, or to be 'betrayed' by Garona and give her enough street cred with the rest of the horde to have a chance to sway them in the future.

He's dead either way, but at least this way there might be some benefit to it.

Garona isn't happy with the plan, but sees she has no other choice. Of course, none of her newfound friends int he alliance know the circumstances of her betrayal, so they are forced to assume that she is just a trecherous bitch.
>>
>>47772252

>Retcon of Warcraft II

Nigga it was an adaptation of Warcraft: Orcs vs. Humans.
>>
>>47772029
The humans looked fake.
>>
>>47772432

They literally say that their world is dying. Just a few years ago they had forests and shit, and now it is dust as far as the eye can see. Its a hard place to survive in, and getting harder every day as the life left in the world gets drained bit by bit.
>>
>>47772252
>>Plot was a retcon of Warcraft 2 with a bunch of stuff which made no sense
The movie is the prelude and beginning of the First War. We haven't even hit the end of Warcraft 1 yet.
>>
>>47772029

Not really. Wasn't grimderp enough. Nor gods were quoted even once.
By comparison, it worked better as a MtG film, than that.
>>
From what I've had explained to me by a friend, the biggest gripe I have with its story is that Stormwind City never got sacked. That event set the stage for everything in Warcraft 2 and beyond; really, it sounds like the movie was a mashup of WC1 and the ending of WC2.
>>
>>47772432

It's still Draenor until Ner'zhul creates a bunch of portals and rips the planet apart and then gets turned into a helmet.
>>
>>47772636
The end of Warcraft 1 is the portal being destroyed, Llane and Medivh dead, and Stormwind burning. We only miss Stormwind, and it's probably a wilful change.
>>
>>47772594

I still thought it was a pretty cheap cop-out though. They created an artificial no-win scenario for the guy solely because they wanted to turn Garona into a through-and-through good guy.
>>
>>47772761

Might be the beginning of the next movie.

Orcs have joined forces with trolls and are attacking the city.
>>
>>47772760
The Sons of Lothar, Mag'har, and a bunch of Draenei survived the destruction of Draenor and were still there over a decade later when the portal was reopened.
>>
File: dean_facepalm.jpg (16 KB, 289x313) Image search: [Google]
dean_facepalm.jpg
16 KB, 289x313
>ITT people who haven't paid attention to Warcraft lore in over five years.

I'm not going to say the movie was a perfect adaptation of Warcraft: Orcs and Humans. They even changed around some stuff from the books, but shit like:
>The Draenei got along pretty well in Outlands. Who says the Orcs would have died there?

C'mon man. They say point blank that Outland is fucking dead. Ogrim and Durotan are excited to just be seeing living plants again.

>>Llane sacrificed himself solely because writers didn't want Garona to be a villain in this movie

Llane has always been 'betrayed' by Garona in every incarnation. In the incarnation before this she was mind-dominated into killing him. Frankly, the movie version is a neater way of keeping up the conflict with Garona than they used in the older lore.

>>The orcs are the biggest bunch of wish-washy faggots I've ever seen in an antagonist faction.
Orcs haven't been pure antagonists since after Warcraft II.
>>
>>47772805

...she was mind controlled to kill him before, now this time killing him is 100% her choice even though it's his idea.
>>
>>47772761
Llane and Medivh die in Warcraft II. Adamant Wrynn is king in Orcs and Humans.
>>
>>47772805

Maybe so, but it felt like a pretty reasonable no-win scenario. The king foolishly dived too deep behind enemy lines without enough army to protect him, and then failed to take proper advantage of a chance to escape when he had it in order to get as many prisoners out as possible.

He was a dangerous combination of brave and selfless. He put the safety of others before his own, which got him killed.

Its exactly the sort of behavior that SHOULD result in a name character getting killed off. It would have been much more of a cop-out for him to have survived that situation somehow.
>>
>>47772761
The human ending is the destruction of the Dark Portal, but the canon ending has always been the orc's victory. You can check Warcraft II's opening cinematic if you don't believe me.
>>
>>47772848
>C'mon man. They say point blank that Outland is fucking dead. Ogrim and Durotan are excited to just be seeing living plants again.
>He hasn't been to Nagrand
>>
>>47772848
>ITT people who haven't paid attention to Warcraft lore in over five years.

Wait.. you're proud of having done that?
>>
>>47772887
It's only Nagrand which has any useful vegetation left (unless you count Zangarmarsh, I guess), but even the orcs that stay there suffer major food shortages. Besides, the Frostwolf aren't from Nagrand so it's a moot point anyway.
>>
>>47772887

To be fair, going to Nagrand means being near the Warsong clan, and nobody wants to do that.
>>
>>47772889
Not particularly. I happened to be a fan of the game in high school. It's just annoying when people hang out in threads pretending they know shit when it's clear they haven't even touched any of the games.
>>
>>47772913
And Terrokar. Fully half the continent is still habitable. They probably would have lost fewer lives living there than fighting at Mount Hyjal.
>>
>>47772115
I was good, not awesome, but good.
I see all these complaints on /v/ about trivial shit like cgi or Garona's makeup.
The real issue of the movie is that it fails as a standalone movie, you have to be pretty grounded in the lore to make sense of the plot.
In fact the biggest plot twist of the movie Khadgar discovering the The Light and potentially the Naru/Fel connection completely flew over all my friends' heads until i told them.
I thoroughly enjoyed it, but moviegoers looking to get into the games for the first time will find it incomprehensible and even boring.
>>
>>47772712
The story hasn't gotten there yet. This movie is the beginning of Warcraft 1. The sacking comes later
>>
>>47772848
>>47772857

I follow the lore pretty closely but I don't remember Garona ever being mind-controlled. Guess I didn't pay attention to that.

>Orcs haven't been pure antagonists since after Warcraft II.

The orcs in this movie were a special brand of wishy-washy though. They oscillate between "Remove Gul'dan" and "Follow Gul'dan" every five minutes. Even by the end, after he's outted as a demonic mockery of orcdom AND a cheating prick, all they've really done is bitch him out a little bit. But they still follow him.
>>
>>47772997
See >>47772867

This is the events of Tides of Blood, Orcs and Humans should have happened something like ten years earlier. I haven't seen the movie, does it show the opening of the portal and the invasion without a time gap? How did they explain Farina's conception?
>>
>>47773035
Garona. Fucking phone. Is Farina even a name?
>>
>>47772963
>Haven't played anything Warcraft since Warcraft 3
>Suddenly Angels
What the hell.
>>
>>47772999
It's one of the scenarios in the Yogg Saron fight.
>I've never actually seen it because tentacle tanking
>>
>>47773035
No time gap beyond a few weeks. The entire movie happens in 3 months or less because the seasons don't change.

>>47773056
Yes.
>>
>>47773092
More like Vorlons than angels.
>>
>>47773035
The Horde invades and makes it as far as Wesftall in the movie.

And who's Farina? You mean the Mag'har orc kid in the Undercity?
>>
>>47772029
And never will.
>>
>>47772963
>That twist point
Wait what? I'm not sure I caught that. I guess I was confused about the whole thing with the shadow creature he communed with. I only gathered that she protected azeroth before the guardians.

Anyway, one thing to note, before the theatrical release, the director was forced to cut out 40 minutes from the movie likely because producers were afraid of people not wanting to see it if it was too long. So I'm definitely buying the directors cut blue ray when it gets released.
>>
>>47773129

He meant Garona. His phone auto-corrected.

>>47773093
I've seen that scenario but I don't remember it ever saying she was mind-controlled.

I'd always thought Garona's betrayal was the result of Blackhand or Orgrim twisting her arm behind her back. Like it wasn't her first choice, but she opted to do it because it would save her own skin.
>>
>>47773129
I meant Garona: >>47773056

>>47773112
...so how did they explain Garona, then?
>>
>>47773035
It's not directly explained, but Medivh hints very strongly that he's her father. He mentions some world hopping shenanigans and meeting a 'strong woman.'

Honestly that's bullshit to me, but it's not the weirdest thing to happen in Warcraft lore.
>>
>>47772029
Just finished watching it.

Loved the fact that peole fuckign die when they should die. There are more character deaths then a Game of Thrones episode.

It is refreshing.
>>
>>47773181

She was a slave to Gul'dan, marginalized in orcish society for being a half-orc.

Instead of being an orc/draenei rape baby, it's strongly implied Medivh somehow found a way to Draenor and romanced her orc mother.
>>
File: aNFblir.jpg (498 KB, 1988x3056) Image search: [Google]
aNFblir.jpg
498 KB, 1988x3056
>>47773203
Well, that gives me a few incest vibes.

Anyhow, I hear they cut the Troll scene, though I found some concept art for it.
>>
>>47773035
Garona explains that they've gotten humans in through once before when scouting the world, before the events of this movie. It explains how she knew common. They secretly got some humans back to the draenor, studied them, (including mating one with an orc for experimentation I'm assuming), and then they started a larger orc invasion that would be the forward base for making a larger portal to get all the orcs through. That was where this movie took place.

I'm liking the lore changes though. It keeps things fresh. They likely will do the sacking of stormwind in the next movie
>>
Also. I have no idea fo warcraft plot and ejoyed the movie.

Mostly for the same reason as POTC 3.

It gives a sense of a big universe. Lots of characters. THe plots are simple put many things happening very fast so you don't get bored/spend 1 hour thinking "we know he is gonna turn bad can you speed up?".

Loved the last moments of the king.
>>
>>47772029
It was shit.

The movie feels like it has ADD, especially in the beginning. We barely get introductions to any characters, or fuck, any locations. We're constantly, constantly zooming around, with scenes feeling insanely disconnected and just thrown in.

Hell, even the fight scenes are really bad about it. The only honest to god fight scene we get is the fight between Durotan and Guldan, and even that shit is broken up by the non-fight in the tower. Everything else is either just a mess of combat scenes with not enough focus to actually feel like a fight or a giant battle scene that rushes by too quickly to give us anything interesting to look at.

There's a shitload of characters in the film, but barely any worthwhile interaction between them. Dialog is sparse to say the least, and the movie wants us to give a shit about characters we barely even know about. Like Lothar's kid, he gets maybe two scenes of any import before we're asked to care, and we learn more about his relationship with Lothar after he dies, rather than before. The only thing that signifies him from a random mook is his lack of a helmet, because he has essentially zero characterization.

I mean fuck, even the foreshadowing felt rushed and lost in the mess. I straight up had forgotten about the whole shade thing in the tower by the time it became important again, and it was important long enough for yet another character to show up, say some plot important things, and then just disappear.

Also, I really enjoyed how the way to defeat the Fel was to recite a random phrase, with absolutely zero indication that he'd done anything else to warrant the win.
>>
And the whole "in the lgiht there is darkness, in the darkness there is light" totaly flew above my head. No idea what it means.
>>
>>47772938
Sir, you are a loser, and your admonishment should be directed at yourself.
>>
>>47773203
Medivh is the father of her son, Med'an.

>>47773225
She was supposed to have been a half human rape baby from one of the first raiding parties into Azeroth, 15 years before the First War.
>>
>>47773267

>POTC 3
>plots are simple
>so you don't get bored/spend 1 hour thinking "we know he is gonna turn bad can you speed up?".

Sure, I guess you can say that since every character kept betraying everyone else every ten minuntes
>>
>>47773292
Do you expect anything else from pirates?
>>
>>47773289

>She was supposed to have been a half human rape baby from one of the first raiding parties into Azeroth, 15 years before the First War.

If that's the case they retconned it before this movie's new retcon. Vindicator Maraad is her uncle in the gameverse.
>>
>>47773357
I think her backstory has changed like four times or something.
>>
>>47773154
Yup.
Notice how the allies do not have paladins and still use traditional medicine to heal.
That megaplosion that exorcised medivh was the Light.
>>
>>47773289
>She was supposed to have been a half human rape baby
That hasn't been true for 10+ years. You've got to keep up with Chris "Oops, I Forgot About That" Metzen if you want to be a proper loremaster.
>>
File: 1459219817079.jpg (744 KB, 2315x1000) Image search: [Google]
1459219817079.jpg
744 KB, 2315x1000
This movie is it's own timeline/universe now.

>Dalaran is flying already
>Drakha and Durotan are killed in battle rather than assassinated
>Khadgar is still a prettyboy bitch nigga
>Thrall is (still)born somewhat before he should be
>Garona's teeth look silly
>Low-key Grom and Kargath in the background because the movie cut down ~40 minutes of extra footage

It's different, but it's not bad at all.
>>
>>47773274
>The only thing that signifies him from a random mook is his lack of a helmet, because he has essentially zero characterization.
He's a Warcraft III Hero unit, obviously.
>>
Is Garona pregnant?
>>
>>47773609
I welcome the changes. Again it keeps the story fresh.

If I go in knowing all the lore and history and get exactly that, then I would probably be meh about it. But things like garona motivation for killing the king are nice twists to what can broadly still be described as the same story.

The floating dalaran thing in sure was just an excuse to not tell that story, or so they can feature a cool floating city in the movie. Like I said I'm not broken up about it though.
>>
>>47772046
>No. Its a Warcraft movie.

B-b-but Warhammer is a rip-off of Warcraft!
>>
>>47772348
>>47772379
>everyone

So both of you and nobody else.
>>
>>47773745
At least Warcraft tries to do something original with the rip, rather than just be a grimmer darker Tolkien
>>
>>47773289

Whoops I guess Jones "accidentally" wrote Medan out of existence in the Warcraft Cinematic Universe... tragedy.
>>
>>47772432
The draenei were not doing well until WoW retconned them into blue tentacle humans who lived in magical crystal palaces.
In War3 they were a broken tribal race pushed to the brink of extinction by the constant hounding of demons and fell orks.
Not thriving.
>>
>>47773691
As long as it still gets sacked by Arthas I will be okay.
>>
>>47773854
What I wouldn't do for an Arthas movie.
>>
>>47773820
They're not doing well in current Warcraft either. They're a people constantly hounded by the Burning Legion and the main reason the demons took an interest in Draenor at all.

The orcs drove them to near extinction before they were able to escape to Azeroth on the Exodar. The massive canyon road leading to the Dark Portal in the movie? That's paved with Draenei bones.
>>
>>47772246
Pretty much this. The pacing was bad (the first 30 minutes jumped all over the fucking place) and some things felt underdeveloped, but all that makes sense when you realize that there was over 30 minutes cut out of the movie. I went in with only a little knowledge of the lore, essentially just what I could gleam from listening to friends talk about the games. "Space demons fuck with some orcs and then the orcs go to the human planet and the humans want them to fuck off, and there is also an orc baby moses" is how I would have explained the lore prior to the movie. I was lost on a few things, but I could follow the movie. I liked it, but it had a lot of problems. I'm looking forward to the director's cut and the sequel.
>>
>>47773788
because the holy roman empire in fantasy land is totally similar to Tolkien.
>>
>>47773854
That will likely still happen, and makes it cooler I think.

They will likely explain they went up in the air for privacy and protection in the first place, and arthas will be like fuck yo privacy
>>
>>47774048
Meant to say glean, not gleam
>>
>>47774109
I hope Achrimonde still gets to level it. Watching him rip it out of the sky would be pretty awesome.
>>
>>47774109
>>47774221

Man, a lot of shit happens to Dalaran in Warcraft III.
>>
It's a fun movie, guys. Not award winning, but ranges from cool to pretty awesome throughout.

If you don't see it in theaters, at least rent it. There's more story to be told and i can only see it getting better from here
>>
>>47774221
>>47774784
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d70NE8tn4OI
>enable subtitles

I don't have a lot of expectation that they would top this.
>>
File: cannot-deal.jpg (160 KB, 669x564) Image search: [Google]
cannot-deal.jpg
160 KB, 669x564
>>47772029
I know nothing about Warcraft coming into to this. I went with a friend who knew all about it, but asked him not to tell me anything so I could judge it as a movie in a relative vacuum.

I hated it. Its pacing is the equivalent of learning how to write nuance from Mein Kampf. It tried to follow far too many plot lines and characters, but didn't give me a reason to care. It jumped to way too many places and didn't give me any kind of context to what was what.

The film thought that more was better, and I hope that its Director's Cut fixes its problems that can be fixed. Granted, some of them simply cannot be:

The human actors did terribly. Lady-orc was not only one of the worst practical effects I've ever seen, but also one of the worst actors I've ever seen. She at least had the competence to try and display emotion through her face, but her ridiculous makeup and prosthetics made her efforts all in vain.

From a setting standpoint it was inoffensive enough. '80s-level aesthetics and action, and while the props made me groan from looking way too LARP-ish, it at least did a tremendously good job of portraying magic as a great power. Durratan was pretty much the only part of the film that's worth watching, and his arc is -very- well done.

Frankly, I cannot recommend it. At all. Find something else you enjoy and stick with that until the Director's Cut. I heard it adds like forty-five minutes of film, so maybe it fixes the pacing issues--by far one of the largest it has.

Unfortunately, nothing--NOTHING--will fix how horribly uninteresting the human characters are and how BAD the lady-orc is.
>>
>>47772115
I'm hesitant to see it because, although I think it will be authentically Warcraft, I'm really turned off by the visual direction.

I mean, I love that they went through a lot of effort to recreate the overt Warcraft aesthetic, but they look super silly on and around real actors, and the film looks like it's 80% CG. I would be much more inclined to see it if they just went full pickle and made the whole thing CG, so that the Warcraft design doesn't look as jarring.

For those that saw the movie, is it really all that noticeable, or am I in the right ballpark?
>>
>>47772029
>is this the warham movie we never got?
Fuck you and that armour.
>>
>>47772029
Warhammer got a great RTS-GS game

Warching the movie entertained me for 2 hours and listening to the score for about another 2

WH TW already has 117h out of me and is still fun

Total War > Some Movie

altough a movie about Aenarion would be dope.
>>
File: dean25.jpg (22 KB, 359x322) Image search: [Google]
dean25.jpg
22 KB, 359x322
>>47776374
It kinda sticks out on the humans, but I honestly enjoyed the fact they hammed it up. Every single piece of armor and weaponry has extraneous detailing on it (literally all the Stormwind guards have massive lion heads on their shields, stuff like that) and I loved every bit of it. Movie was also very colorful, which is nice when the most color you see on live action medieval stuff is from GoT, which is just various shades of brown or red if the Lannisters happen to be around.

Fair warning: I have been known to have shit taste.
>>
>>47776621
Yeah, I feel like I'll enjoy it when I see it, and probably won't think much about the heavy CG and hammy props when the movie's playing. It seems like I'd have fun, which is generally the most important thing. It's just a little weird to me.

>Movie was also very colorful, which is nice when the most color you see on live action medieval stuff
That does sound pretty nice.
>>
>>47776621
I feel like we should chalk this one up as a strike against the movie.
>>
>>47772867
>>47773035
One of the last missions for Humans in Warcraft 1 is the hunting down and killing of Medivh. This is not Warcraft 2; if it was the story would be about Lordaeron and Doomhammer would be Warchief (With Gul'Dan under a tight leash).
>>
>>47773745
Except it's the other way around, mister anon sir.
>>
>>47772115
Worst movie I've seen this year. I expected the art direction/CGI to be the worst turn-off but I was actually ok with it. It's the plot/script that is absolutely horrible.
>>
>>47773495
Wait, so the universal religion of humans in the warcraft is only as old as the first orc war? Which is like... 30 years ago?

Man, they really went all in.
>>
>>47777655
Perhaps.
I don't know too much about lore THAT obscure, but I'm pretty sure the religion was always there, but no one could manifest it.
Pallies in WoW are different from D&D pallies, the Light is manifested through willpower and conviction rather than faith in Gods.
That's why the Scarlet Crusade and even certain Undead can wield it, because if they believe with enough willpower that their cause is just, they can use it.

I want to say the Light's availibilty had something to do with the Sun and Moon Wells, but don't quote me on that.

Irregardless, yeah, perhaps the greatest event in the movie is so extremely obscure that no one would get it in a single watch.
>>
>>47772252
> It felt like most of them were fans of the series and all put in actual effort

Bitch who played Garona said she had no idea of the series until she was cast.
>>
>>47778160
I dunno about the movie, but humans were originally taught to wield the Light by the titanic watcher Tyr thousands of years before the opening of the Dark Portal. The actual order of Light-wielding knights wasn't founded until after the First War, but people had been using it pretty much since the birth of humanity
>>
>>47772627

What exactly happened to Draenor that killed it?

also rip Draeni in the movie

I hope we get an adaptation of ROC, that'd be cool
>>
>>47778758
Draenor was killed by the orc's use of fel magic. Gul'dan and Nerh'zul (his mentor) used such a massive amount of the stuff that they actually tore the planet apart. This was according to the plan of the archdemons who were manipulating the orcs against the Draenei, who wanted to turn the orcs into an army for their own purposes.
>>
File: WC1HumanChurch.gif (4 KB, 125x125) Image search: [Google]
WC1HumanChurch.gif
4 KB, 125x125
>>47777655
in the games clerics with holy magic have existed since warcraft 1, they don't exist in the movie for some reason. although in the games clerics also originally worshipped "God", which was later retconned into the light.
>>
>>47778255
Well Orgrim's actor is a hardcore raider and Gul'dan's actor did it because his wife was into WoW.

I hope they get Cavil to do a part in the sequel since he almost didn't answer the phone for getting the part of Superman because he was in the middle of a raid.
>>
>>47772252
i think lothar ends up how you described later in life when he's older
>>
>>47773165
she was mind controlled by guldan from birth
>>
>>47780303
Lothar was around 50 during the First War and the Second War happened like...the next month? So I don't think there's too much time for it to be later in life.
>>
File: zuljin.jpg (53 KB, 580x349) Image search: [Google]
zuljin.jpg
53 KB, 580x349
Cast him for the sequel /tg/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmndxoF74qQ
>>
So why didn't they have the Horde burn Stormwind to the fucking ground in the movie?
>>
>>47780498
>literally who
>>
>>47780754
That doesn't happen yet. Likely if they do the next movie, that will be the opening conflict.
>>
>>47781111
But they had the perfect chance to do it. Medivh had the portal open to Stormwind, I was expecting orcs to break through the line and start ransacking the shit out of the city. Or the same thing happened to the portal on Draenor.
>>
>>47772603
>
Yeah, and it retcons so much shit from both games, but mostly from warcraft 2.
>>
>>47781137
It had to end on a bad note for the fel orcs and a good note for the humans. It makes sense from a movie standpoint. Plus that would have added at least 30 more minutes to the movie to do it any justice, and everything was rushed as it was. I hope it happens, but it needs to be added to the next movie.
>>
>>47781060
>literally filename
He's not important until Warcraft 2, but still.
>>
>>47780498
Keith David, just imagine that deep sexy voice delivering
>"We Amani, we never give up. We never forget..."
>>
>>47772115
>>47772252
>>Khadgar never got his age-up.
What? Seriously? He never got turned into Dadgar?

>>47772252
>>Llane sacrificed himself solely because writers didn't want Garona to be a villain in this movie
...But she was mind controlled, couldn't they have run with that?

>>47776902
He's saying that the end of the movie didn't set up Warcraft 2 correctly apparently.

>>47780181
It's cool that Orgrim's actor was a raider, but I wanted ORGRIMUS PRIME so bad.

https://youtu.be/D7JtMQM4QZ0?t=407 Seriously,. he was voiced byu Peter Cullen in the canceled Warcraft Adventures game and it was awesome. (Also Clancy Brown was Thrall before Metzen decided to voice Green Jesus and most generic Orcs himself, now he's Blackhand which I find really Ironic,)

>>47773609
Best instance, if they ever give it the "Scholomance" treatment I will burn down blizzard HQ for the glory of the Dark Iron.
>>47773691
I love that they used an old fan theory for the Garona twist.

>>47773203
That was a very old and well respected fan theory.
>>
>>47780498

You know damn well Tim Curry is the answer to every casting question.
>>
>>47781270
Only problem is he doesn't do the accent.

Fuck me I would love to see a proper warcraft 3 thrall voiced by Keith David though, fuck WoW Thrall.
>>
>>47781326
>What? Seriously? He never got turned into Dadgar?
Yeah and they had the perfect chance to do it too.
>But she was mind controlled, couldn't they have run with that?
Could have but they didn't
>Clancy Brown was Thrall before Metzen decided to voice Green Jesus and most generic Orcs himself,
I will never be used to Clancy Thrall
>>47781601
God I'm just getting chills from David saying "You disappoint me...Garrosh."
>>
What do you guys want in a sequel?
>>
>>47781232
>but mostly from warcraft 2.
like what?
>>
>>47782159
Khadgar didn't get aged up,Stormwind didn't burn to the ground they closed the Dark Portal, and Gul'dan is openly in charge of the Horde but those are the only WC 2 things I can think of.
>>
>>47782113
sacking of Stormwind. a move Northward (Tides of Darkness). Trolls and Elves. and Ogres.
>>
>>47772326
I'm sure the mods got tired of having threads about the mmo and "who wud u fug?" On a board about traditional games
>>
>>47782187
This. And meanwhile glimpses of Thrall's upbringing under blackmoore, which will provide the setup for the next movie, which will be about thrall becoming warchief of the horde
>>
>>47774075
>holy
>roman
>empire
>>
File: Marines.png (526 KB, 869x606) Image search: [Google]
Marines.png
526 KB, 869x606
>>47773745
Its not Blizzard's fault that GW squandered any chances of success they could have had.
>>
>>47776595
it's weird how warhammer got the best RTS we've seen in years

You'd think blizz would have gone for warcraft 4 by now. Not really complaining, mind. Total Warhammer is my fucking jam.
>>
>>47782279
>>47774075
Wait what?
>>
>>47782231
i should restart that
>>
>>47782231
That's a shame. I remember have a few conversations happening on there when it first started.
>>
>>47782395
>>47776595
Blizzard is going to make Warcraft:Complete Conflict soon
>>
>>47782418
it's too late, blizzard

CA has plans to maintain an IV drip of content indefinitely, and I'm surprisingly okay with it.
>>
>>47782395
To be honest I'd kill for a HD Warcraft 1-3
>>
>>47772115
Generic fantasy, lazy, uninteresting... *slaps branding on it* OH SHIT IT'S SUPER HOT BEST MOVIE EVER 10/10!!!

it's another shitty movie, comeon.
>>
>>47782433
blizzard steals ideas off other devs all the time and fills it with memes.

On the other hand, no one knows how exactly the morale system in Total Wars work exactly
>>
>>47782448
>OH SHIT IT'S SUPER HOT BEST MOVIE EVER 10/10!!!
Said noone ever, including those who liked it.

We know it has its flaws, but it's an enjoyable fun flic.
>>
>>47773745
I am triggered
>>
Well, just got from watching the movie...

It's enjoyable, the CGI is superb, soundtrack likewise. The actors did a good job.

But the story is kinda of shit, tbqh. congrats, you fucking coke sniffer
>>
>>47782711
Out of curiosity were you warcraft fan before the movie or no?
>>
File: 1463349303344.png (4 MB, 1778x2014) Image search: [Google]
1463349303344.png
4 MB, 1778x2014
>>47782396
it's a /his/ meme don't worry about it
>>
>>47782743
Not a ~fan~, but always enjoyed the lore.
>>
>>47774075
>holy
>roman
>empire
we aren't talking about WHFB
>>
>>47772029
Is there a warcraft brief-ish summary somewhere that I could read to grasp the lore entirely?
>>
>>47782231
Nah, people just ran out of steam and the discussion tapered off. The waifuposters were tedious, though, I'll grant you that.
>>
>>47783033
warcraft's lore is not good enough to justify the effort
>>
>>47772330
>White Guilt: The Movie
Bro, have you SEEN the movie?
The Orcs are fucking savages, and the only Evil human is Mediv.
I was afraid it was going to be White Guilt: The Movie, but the Orcs are god damn savages.
>>
>>47774042
I've argued repeatedly that a movie about Arthas would have been the best choice for a "first movie"
Just the entire Human Campaign from Warcraft 3, not even the Undead Campaign.

"Hero rises, Hero Falls" is a tale as old as time and would be a simple way to ease people into the movies, before they go full crazy with Demons and World-Jumping-Orcs.
>>
File: o-TIM-CURRY-570[1].jpg (121 KB, 570x736) Image search: [Google]
o-TIM-CURRY-570[1].jpg
121 KB, 570x736
>>47781442
Anon...
>>
>>47783065
Perhaps but I've spent hours reading lore of a far worse quality in the past.
>>
>>47782783
It's not a meme when it's true.
>:^)
>>
>>47783981
Memes can be true bro
>>
>>47772252
>>The orcs are the biggest bunch of wish-washy faggots I've ever seen in an antagonist faction.
They're not antagonists tho. That's the point.
>>
>>47773035
>Farina's conception
She's been half-draenei for while now.
>>
>>47783075

... maybe the orcs represent white people?
>>
I liked the CGI orcs, but all other races sucked. Dwarves and Elves looked cartoonish, the blue horned ones looked like aliens from Avatar.

They need to update other races design for the next movie.
>>
>>47783981
It's only true about Holy Roman Empire of German Nation (Which Voltaire said it about). The HRE was each of those things at different times.
>>
>>47773093
>>47772999
>>47773165

I don't think it's in the Instance there, but it is Definitely in the novel The Last Guardian. Medive went nuts a little differently then, and Lothar, Khadgar and Garona along with some mooks went to Kharazan to get answers and kick ass as needed. Lothar and co were busy with demons, Khaddy got aged half to death by Sargaras-Corrupted-Medy, who then mind-fucked Garona into being a proper bloodthirsty orc. Medhiv lost and got killed sort of, but nobody knew where Garona had gotten to.

Earlier in the book, they mentioned that in Kharazan it was common to see other times and places due to the strange magical and temporal nature of things that had happened in Deadwind in both the past and future. One of the scenes they saw on their way to confront Medhiv was Garona talking with King Lane and then stabbing him in the back. This was rather upsetting because, like in the movie, Lane and his pals were among the few to actually give her a chance to earn their trust by offering it willingly on their own part, taking a risk she didn't think she deserved.
>>
>>47781326
It didn't set up WC2 as we're familliar with it, but at the same time there's still a fuckhuge orcish army under Gul'Dan's somewhat shaky leadership that's poised to march north at the end and kick ass vs the stated-to-be-not-enough troops to hold and protect Stormwind.

They have a triumphant scene at the end but all info points toward Stormwind falling for lack of Lane's leadership and Lothar making the trek north to gather allies and facilitate the Alliance of Lordaeron.

Orgirm Doomhammer even got a powerboost to make his ascent make sense while Gul'Dan is barely holding his position as Warchief at the end because of his conduct.

Unless I mixed some orcs up; Orgrim wasn't the dude who he fought at the end is it? Or if it is he'd probably have to survive being castrated.
>>
>>47782671
underrated post.
>>
>>47784458
>Unless I mixed some orcs up; Orgrim wasn't the dude who he fought at the end is it? Or if it is he'd probably have to survive being castrated.

That was Rend Blackhand. Orgrim was the Frostwolf dude hanging around Durotan with the enormous Doomhammer.
>>
>>47773769
Are you really this unself-aware?
>>
File: 1342211641568.png (340 KB, 750x750) Image search: [Google]
1342211641568.png
340 KB, 750x750
>>47784100
In WCIII/early WoW they do basically apply Manifest Destiny to their expansion into Kalimdor. I once wrote a paper explaining how they could even be interpreted as an allegory for American frontierism (I used to shove Warcraft into boring assignments to force myself to finish them. No, you don't need to say it, I already know), though that one was kinda reaching.
>>
I really wish they'd make a Warcraft 4.

Also anyone ever play the TT rpg? Is it any good?
>>
>>47782178
It retcon also half of the books, and the games too. Including Legions.

Because the corruption does not come from the blood of Manorroth
mfw "welcom to my magikal realm of fel magik"

It's an alternative story non-canon with the games, see it as an adaptation for a large audience.
>>
>>47783075
But Gul'dan dindu nuffin. He was a good boy and saved babies
>>
>>47782316
GW hates the idea of accidentally get more fans of their product.
>>
>>47782395
Warcraft 4 will be a straight-up RPG in the vein of Witcher 3 but with the art-style of WoW concept art and with a story by Bioware.
>>
>>47784036

They were in Warcraft 1, which is when this movie is set.
>>
>>47789444
>with a story by Bioware.
Please no.

I'd take Knaak over Bioware at this point.
>>
>>47772868

The king consistently portrayed himself as a naive idiot at best. When his heir is still in middle school and all the other nations of the world are giving you shit and two middle fingers in response to your call for aid to an invasion from another dimension, the best thing he could have done is not die.
>>
>>47786871

Its one of the most hilariously botched fanon adaptations of a previous fictional work that I have ever seen. The only thing it does with consistency are painfully generic tropes, the world's most reused violin, and Metzen-certified corruption & redemption stories. Warcraft I isn't even all that complicated, its two major engagements, a dungeon raid, an assassination, and the scouring of Stormwind City with almost every human body on a pike.
>>
>>47785141

>That was Rend Blackhand.

No, it was Rend Blackhand's daddy, also called Blackhand. As in, the OG Blackhand and the first warchief of the Horde. In the original lore, Orgrim led a rebellion against him, iced him, and became the new Warchief. IIRC, Orgrim then went on to wage the Second War.

Originally, Orgrim wasn't a Frostwolf. He was a Blackrock and Blackhand's go-to guy. They made him into a Frostwolf because reasons.
>>
>>47789603
>They made him into a Frostwolf because reasons.
It was probably to simplify his and Durotan's relationship for the movie. There was already a lot of stuff they had to get through just to get the ball rolling, so giving the two of them a simplified connection helped them cut down on exposition.
>>
>>47789677

They made Orgrim a Frostwolf to make him a sympathetic character. There are least no less than four different redemption sidestories going on in the movie. In the movie, Orgrim is a big guy who thinks about others but sometimes makes the wrong decisions while Khadgar is a bumbling buffoon who somehow stumbles into the correct decisions. In the source, Orgrim did what was politically expedient for the Horde and effectively destroyed Gul'dan's strangehold on the Horde and Khadgar was a good, faithful, and capable disciple until he began to notice that his master was up to no good.

For the sake of (awful) scriptwriting, they effectively memed up the characters for no real good reason other than to make the audience like them better. They become central characters in Warcraft 2, but its unnecessary and 1 and only serves to bloat their introductions and the movie times.
>>
>>47789475
But in Warcraft 1, they were also demons from fucking Hell. That's where the Dark Portal came from.
They've come a long way since then.
The movie was angling the Orcs as the noble savages set up in Warcraft 3 and had the decency to keep a good level of savage in it, rather than the good boys who dindu nuffin that they became in WoW.

>>47772252
>>It's obvious the next one will be about Thrall.
But they still have to cover the fall of Stormwind, the flight to Lordeaeron, the forming of the Alliance of all the Human kingdoms, Doomhammer taking over the Horde and leading it north after the survivors of Stormwind, Gul'dan and Cho'Gall trying to open the Tomb of Sargeras, Doomhammer's betrayal of Lothar at Blackrock Mountain, the rise of Uther the Lightbringer and his Paladins, the destruction of the Dark Portal, and the breaking of the Horde. Then there Ner'zhul's revival of the Dark Portal, Turalyon's expedition to Draenor, the flight of the rest of the Orcs from Draenor to Azeroth and Ner'zhul's rampant idiocy shattering Draenor completely and his capture and mutation by Kil'Jaeden into the Lich King.
Then we can get into Thrall's life in captivity as a slave and gladiator to his jailbreak and his rise to power.
>>
>>47790734
Anon let's be real, they aren't going to do Tides of Darkness or Beyond the Dark Portal
>>
>>47790836
Chink box office says otherwise.
>>
Should I watch it in theaters, or should I wait for the DVD?

IE is it worth a ticket and a taxi or is it just rent-tier?
>>
>>47790734

>discussing Hell as if its knowable

Draenor might as well be their version of hell.
>>
>>47790849
If you enjoyed the Warcraft games, it's worth a matinee.
I might just catch it again on a matinee after seeing how well Duncan Jones held up to a douchebag of an interviewer who gets mad that he can't ruffle Jones and just storms off. Few spoilers for the movie ahead, but anyone who knows the lore won't be surprised by anything.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0f9fpwGsyg

I will say, I went into it expecting to hate it. I was ready to despise it, but it was just... okay.
A decent way to pass two hours even if the pacing is pretty wonky because it has to shove so much story in such a short time.
When it does come out on home video, I wouldn't mind a LOTR-style extended edition to fix some of the pacing issues. Especially the first 30 minutes or so.
>>
>>47790920

>If you enjoyed the Warcraft games, it's worth a matinee.

I don't see how every third person is saying this. Goldshire featured more prominently than actual war, which is like three brief scenes.
>>
>>47790920
Well 40 minutes were cut from it likely because the producers didn't have enough confidence releasing a 2+ hr movie in theaters.

>>47790959
>I don't like it, so I can't see it's possible that others would
>>
>>47791019
>Well 40 minutes were cut from it likely because the producers didn't have enough confidence releasing a 2+ hr movie in theaters.
It still comes in at just over two hours.
Which is just about the minimum time it could have taken to tell its story. It still leaves out a lot of stuff, but you can't expect the entirety of the first game in one measly movie.
>>
>>47790855
The Twisting Nether (where Draenor is now) isn't far from it, but it's the birthplace of demons and source of fel magic, not the resting place of the damned. The damned go so some place called the Shadowlands or something, the material plane's source of shadow magic.
>>
>>47791073
>but you can't expect the entirety of the first game in one measly movie.
Even besides that, Blizzard has expanded the pre-Warcraft 1 lore by quite a bit. Even just picking up right at the beginning of Warcraft 1 means you're picking up in the middle of a massive transition period for the orcs with its own politics and causes and consequences.

They had a lot of stuff to set up. I'm not surprised the first half of the movie was a pacing nightmare.
>>
>>47776374

The CGI is much better than it is in the trailers. I found it pretty seamless, honestly.
>>
>>47790025

I actually didn't mind movie Khadgar.

Movie Orgrim was a disappointment
>>
>>47792179
Movie Orgrim didn't get a chance to really do anything.
>>
>>47793688
>>47792179
There really wasn't enough screentime to develop him considering all we needed from Durotan.
>>
>>47793688

Which is a shame because I always liked him.
>>
File: Orgrim Doomhammer.jpg (183 KB, 815x1200) Image search: [Google]
Orgrim Doomhammer.jpg
183 KB, 815x1200
>>47793751
Here's to hoping he'll get his badass armor in the second movie assuming they don't dive into Lord of the Clans for the sequel
>>
>>47793757
If it gets a sequel, Orgrim would have to take over as the primary Orc. Of course, he really wasn't a good guy at all when it came to Warcraft 2.
He went chasing after the human survivors of the first war, gleefully slaughtered civilians. Lured Lothar into a trap under the guise of parlay at Blackrock Mountain. Oversaw the capture and corruption of Alexstrasza and her brood as weapons for the Horde.
He had a chance to finish off the Alliance for good if Gul'dan and Cho'Gall hadn't fucked off to open the tomb of Sargeras, making him have to turn and chase them down.
>>
>>47793804
I always took it that Orgrim isn't peace loving like Durotan. He likes war but he's not going perpetuate it. Reading Tides of Darkness, I interpeted Orgrim did everything he did because he knew damn well the people of this world weren't going to accept the Horde so they had carve in their own place.

Also Alexstrasza was more Dragonmaw than Orgrim.
>>
>>47790920
>gets mad that he can't ruffle Jones and just storms off
Seems to me he just left because the interview was over. They shake hands, that's not exactly storming off.
>>
>>47794337
He ends it abruptly and Jones said on Twitter he ranted at him from off camera a bit and then left.
You can see Jones is startled by the sudden "end" to the interview.
>>
>>47794337
>d just storms off
>Seems to me he just left because the interview was over. They shake hands, that's not exactly storming off.
The dude looked visibly frustrated and was muttering shit as he was walking.
>>
>>47794351
>>47794352
Oh, okay. I thought it might have just been that they were short for time. Those types of interviews tend to be pretty abrupt sometimes.
>>
>>47793804
>>47793838

This is one of the reasons I always liked Orgrim. He's a bad guy with understandable motivations. But at some point, he's still able to realize just how fucked the orcs and and accept a lot of it was his fault. This is what helped make the orcs switch from antagonists to protagonists believable when it first happened.

His old characterization harkens back to a day when Blizzard had a better idea of how they wanted to portray orcs.
>>
File: denial.png (23 KB, 593x206) Image search: [Google]
denial.png
23 KB, 593x206
>>47794337
>>
>>47794430
I think Orgrim and Grom are how most orcs should be.
>>
File: the reality.png (197 KB, 596x600) Image search: [Google]
the reality.png
197 KB, 596x600
>>47794441
>>
I went into Warcraft knowing random bits of lore my Warcraft- and WoW-playing friends had told me, but with no real cohesion or anything.

It was a fun movie. Not a good one by any means, but I had fun and holy shit that griffin kicked ass.
That Griffin deserves to be the new TR-8R.
>>
>>47794488

The problem is they tried to turn Orcs back into Orgrim and Grom wannabes without stopping to remember Orgrim and Grom were the bad guys most of the time. So they tried to marry the Blood and HONOR conqueror motifs with the new survivalist "we just want a home" angle they gave them in Warcraft III and it feel flat on its ass. You can't have a race of expansionist war-hungry fags and still make them out as the good guy.
>>
>>47772348
Warhammer fans are the reason everyone hates warhammer fans.
>>
>>47794570
The thing was I actually liked Garrosh's horde in Cata. Garrosh had some redeeming qualities but at the end of the day he was his father's child and wanted to wage war. The Pandaria happened and his character took a fucking nose dive in quality.
>>
As a big WarCraft fan I absolutely hated the movie. They completely butchered Lothar, Garona, Llane, Khadgar, Medivh, Gul'dan and every other character of any import.
Orcs went from demon worshipping space mongols to unenthusiastic "what are we even doing here lol" characters.
It was embarassing how hard they were shipping Garona and Lothar (fucking what).

The only good part was grandpa Gul'dan beating the shit out of Durotan.
>>
>>47794653

Garrosh suffered the same problem afflicting Warcraft's lore for years. Which is the whole thing feels like it's written by like four or five different people who aren't allowed to to talk to each other
>>
>>47794510

I can't really go by critic scores though because I like a shit load of movies they hate and hate a shitload of movies they like.

Take Birdman for example. That was a slow, piece of shit, up its own ass, waste of film and critics collectively blew their load all over it.

I like a movie about robots beating the shit out of each other and it is called the worst thing ever by critics who wanted something other than robots beating the shit out of each other for some odd reason.
>>
>>47794726
>Orcs went from demon worshipping space mongols to unenthusiastic "what are we even doing here lol" characters.
Only the warlocks praised the fucking demons. The only one who was like wishy-washy was Durotan and that's because he doesn't like Gul'dan or his fucking magic which was basically the same feelings he had during Rise of the Horde. Every other orc, wanted to wage fucking war.
>>
>>47794750
>He doesn't think Ed Norton is God's gift to film
Opinion invalidated.
>>
>>47794762
And yet they seemed so unenthustiatic about. The movie failed to deliver any kind of emotion from the orcs except reluctance.
Pre-retcon the orcs had drunk Mannaroth's blood and turned into bloodcrazed savages that just wanted to rip and tear but in the movie maybe less then a tenth were corrupted and that was by Gul'dans magic.
>>
>>47794750
You're the kind of retard killing the film industry.
You do know that Blizzard slipped up on one point of their film and it's A. Releasing it near a Marvel Film B. Not paying off the critics for their ADHD compact action flick.

You're pretty much support uncreative x - to - film style movies that obviously won't translate well at all in any format or they're just going to be something that original fans don't want at all.
>>
>>47794801
I'd also complain about the scale of the movie. It never felt like anyone was in any danger because the "invasion" was so tiny. Even the final battle seemed to be little more than a skirmish - and that was with an entire kingdom's armed forces.
>inb4 but it was just an expeditionary force
Doesn't stop it from feeling underwhelming.
>>
>>47794726

While the prize fight between Durotan and Gul was cool, it was my least favorite part of the movie. Gul'dan has always been this conniving schemer, manipulating things from the shadows. Giving him his very own "it's treason, then" moment was total 180 from how the character's always acted even if the fight was impressive.

They should have had the fight be between Durotan and Blackhand.
>>
>>47794830
I agree, but at least he actually did something that felt like it mattered.

>Blackhand
Don't even remind me. The fight between him and Lothar goes down in cinema history as the worst fight between a man and a CGI apparition.
>>
>>47794830
>While the prize fight between Durotan and Gul was cool, it was my least favorite part of the movie. Gul'dan has always been this conniving schemer, manipulating things from the shadows. Giving him his very own "it's treason, then" moment was total 180 from how the character's always acted even if the fight was impressive.
To be fair Gul'dan used magic to keep up with Durotan and he's an orc so that was my favorite scene in the movie.
>>
>>47794935
I dunno. He was doing pretty well until Medivh started opening the portal. If I remember correctly he only started using demon magic when time ran out.
>>
>>47794935

But a major part of Gul'dan's character is he feels he's moved beyond most orcish behaviors. He doesn't really give a shit about throwing down with people; he's got people for it. And revealing himself as some sort of xboxhueg pseudo demon is basically playing all his cards at once, something else he'd never really do.
>>
File: UtherFullHearthstone.png (1 MB, 837x1200) Image search: [Google]
UtherFullHearthstone.png
1 MB, 837x1200
What are the chances he's going to be in the next movie?
>>
>>47794825
Lol look at the pretentious douche. I bet you think your opinions matter more than others, huh?
>>
>>47795609
Pretty high because China

Never thought I'd be saying this, but thank God for China
>>
>>47795609
Better question who'd play him?
>>
>>47781784
>>47781601
Keith David is more of an Orgrim, Etrigg, or Saurang the Elder.

>>47790025
SO he's a straight-up frostwolf instead of just an intermediary from the Blackrock?

>>47794510
Critic scores only?
>>
>>47795729
>SO he's a straight-up frostwolf instead of just an intermediary from the Blackrock?
Yeah Orgrim is just a part of the Frostwolf clan with out any connections to Blackrock.
>>
Hey guys I just realized something,

There is discussions like this going on all over the internet on whether or not this movie is good, and nowhere can a major consensus be reached.

And that is a good thing.

We never got discussions this passionate about whether or not the Transformers sequels were good, or the new spiderman movies, because everyone pretty much agrees they were shit. This is a case of something moving out of everyones minds because its not worth discussing.

But with Warcraft, the conversation (and usually argument) continues. What does that say about it? And I'm pretty sure it goes beyond just fanbois defending the defenseless, because I have seen a lot of non-warcraft fans bringing some praise.

I think its simply a case that there is enough good in this movie to get people passionate about its future, as well as enough bad in this movie to incite rage over it. This on both camps.

I loved it but even after just seeing it there were things that I wish were done better and knowing they were going to be a point of contention that I would have a hard time disagreeing with.
>>
>>47795777
Look man, from a technical and storywriting standpoint, the movie is nothing but dogshit. It's pacing is fucking, it's characterization is laughable, and it's dialog is hilarious in how cliche it is.

The only people defending any of those things are idiots.
>>
File: critic_vs_regular_folks.jpg (123 KB, 750x562) Image search: [Google]
critic_vs_regular_folks.jpg
123 KB, 750x562
>>47795729
>Critic scores only?
Yeah the audience scores are very often left out. It's Al Gore Statistics Presentation 101
>>
File: ColbertWatermellon.gif (296 KB, 360x360) Image search: [Google]
ColbertWatermellon.gif
296 KB, 360x360
>>47772029
I'm not sure this belongs here. We have >>>/v/ for video games, and we have >>>/tv/ for movies and television. At best, wouldn't it go in a Warcraft or WH general?
>>
>>47795840
It doesn't matter anon. Just roll with it.
>>
>>47795609
We'd be getting young, Warcraft 2-era Uther, so probably some one like Nikolaj Coster-Waldau.
>>
>>47795995
Forgot me pic.
>>
>>47795794
Wow, you are something else.
>>
>>47795817
You see, I often find myself agreeing more with the audience over the critics nowadays. Generally the audience score is higher than the critics, but those 2 scores are usually close enough. This level of disparity usually indicates critics being too critical of what could otherwise be a decent moving picture show. I have some free time tomorrow night so I think I'm going to buy a ticket now.
>>
>>47796056
I'm not going to get into the debate of the movie based on lore, since I don't know it.

And just because a movie is bad doesn't mean it can't be enjoyed. People have a hard time making the distinction between subjective enjoyment and objective quality.

But the movie is bad. The Directors cut might fix a lot of the issues, but the release we have is a mess. I don't regret the money I spent for the film, mostly for the Orc fight and the scene with the giant cube, but that doesn't make it a good movie.

It had too many characters, too little development, and the movie felt like it had fucking ADD with how quickly it moved from scene to scene. And for being a fantasy adventure movie, it sure as shit didn't have that many actually interesting fight scenes.
>>
>>47796169
No what makes a good movie a good movie is whether or not you enjoyed it. You not regretting buying the ticket says enough.

Your criticisms are what are preventing it from being a great movie. Which I agree with your criticisms. Pacing issues and the forced love story was a mess. These prevented it from being a great movie. Otherwise it is just a good movie to be enjoyed in the theaters, and wanting to see more.
>>
>>47790920
>>47794337
Easy you guys. Take a closer look. It appears at first that he's being rude (and some of his questions could've been phrased more respectfully for sure), but he is signaled by Duncan's PR team that his time is up. Despite the fact that Duncan was doing well under pressure, the team felt the questions would be an issue and paint the film in the wrong light, so they cut it short and gave the interviewer the boot. Duncan looks surprised not just because the critic is grumpy and terse, but because he wasn't expecting his team to cut things short - since he was handling things so professionally.

Truly the interviewer shouldn't have been so rough with the phrasing, and should've been better composed when it was ended. However, he had some valid concerns. Handled more respectfully by the critic, his legitimate concerns would've made for an interesting interview. Instead he came on too strong and said some borderline insulting things that caused it to end early.

Ultimately I feel that the PR team was justified in stopping it where they did, since the critic was being fairly disrespectful and unprofessional. That said, the points the critic was trying to make were valid. I wish he would've conducted himself better, because Duncan's responses to those valid points would've been nice to hear.

Tl;dr - Don't tear the critic to shreds, he was being a tad aggressive and unprofessional, but it's not *entirely* his fault and under the abrasiveness he had sound points.
>>
>>47796287
>No what makes a good movie a good movie is whether or not you enjoyed it.

I'm glad you're not in charge of making anything.

"Your personal opinion is the only thing that matters" is the cry of the assholes who can't be bothered to learn how to do things right.
>>
>>47795794
>Subjective argument detected
That's really what it all comes down to hear. That's your opinion, and that's fine. But your opinion isn't the only opinion, so fuck off with you high-horse 'my opinion is the only one that matters, everyone else is dumb' bullshit.
>>
>>47796368
That's a funny thing to say, when your argument rides on just that as much as anyone elses.
>>
>>47796368
I'm glad your not in charge of making anything either. See how that works? Opinions are great aren't they? The difference is I never claimed anything I said was more than merely an opinion.
>>
>>47796402
here.
>>
>>47796295
My biggest issue with the critic was his honestly shit comparison to the Lord of the Rings movies. There was not a single way in which he could have botched that comparison harder.

Otherwise he had fair points, though. It's a shame he wasn't more professional.
>>
>>47796008
I'd cast him as Arthas in a heartbeat. Too bad he doesn't have a younger twin running around.
>>
>>47796543
Agreed. I hadn't meant to imply all his points were valid. Duncan handled it super well though.
>>
File: image.jpg (236 KB, 1161x827) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
236 KB, 1161x827
Cast the true heroes of the Alliance
>>
I was very very weary of the film but plesantly surprised with how well it turned out compared to my worst fears, the human scenes were very flat compared to the orcs unfortunately Durotsn made for a great protagonist and I enjoyed Lothars actor, Medivh was a bit weird but grew on me, as did King Llane by the end Khadgar was alright, I blame that on the writing more than the actor.

By the end though I found myself excited for the potential of the sequel.
>>
>>47798122
Henry Cavil for Turalyon
>>
>>47798122
Manu Bennet as Turalyon
Charles Dance as Khadgar
Emily Blunt as Alleria
Russell Crowe as Danath?
>>
>>47795840
>I'm not sure this belongs here.

Yes, you're right: your post does not belong here.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 22

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.