[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is anybody using e-readers instead of book for rules and such?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: ipad-ereaders.jpg (74 KB, 850x450) Image search: [Google]
ipad-ereaders.jpg
74 KB, 850x450
Is anybody using e-readers instead of book for rules and such?
I would imagine that if you did it often you'd get like 2-3 cheap e-readers to replace all your book needs.
>>
>>47764222
Why buy a kindle when I already own a smartphone.

Those are the betamax of our generation
>>
>>47764222

I could get a cheap older tablet and cover all the lookup needs for rules.

Still, I love physical books. Nothing can quite replace the analog for me, though I've a very sentimental kind of guy.

>>47764250

A tablet is much more readable on a bigger screen. And you could probably pick up a perfectly serviceable one second hand if you don't want to pay full price for a new one. And why should you?
>>
>>47764280
>I've a very sentimental kind of guy.
>implying the tablets can't have sentimental value
>>
>>47764310

I dunno, man. It seems to me the sentiments people most often have towards tablets tend to be the more negative ones.Like "Why won't this thing work?" or "What do you mean 'low power', I just charged you?" or "Load already, you slow piece of shit!"
>>
>>47764310

Then what's a more appropriate term? Luddite? No, I fucking love technology... I just like having a book in hand for reference and possession, more so than a PDF despite how handy a PDF can be.

It's not to say I don't use PDFs, I fucking love them, but books seem more permanent, less easy to delete and compatible will all standard versions of book shelves. Suppose it's just preference.

For sheer volume of content in a single device, though, a tablet can't be beat.
>>
>>47764222
I use a laptop at game for all my books. Been doing it for 7 or 8 years now.

I also use it for a digital character sheet.

Hard copies are for when I want to sit down and read a book, at home, by myself. PDFs are for reference purposes at the game table.
>>
I use a laptop, or my phone for when I have to DM on the fly and need to reference something (only keep the core rules and GM guides of games I frequently and most often GM on my phone). Laptops have the convenience of being able to have just about everything in my collection and end up not only being a rulebook, but also my notebook, dice roller, reference sheets, and GM screen all in one while having the most intuitive interface and usability of all devices on the market.

I still often buy books despite having several hundred GB of pirated material, mostly because I'm a collector at heart and being able to read a physical book the first time I want to learn a system is the most comfortable, but after that it will go on the bookshelf forever because ctrl+F is one hell of a drug.
>>
File: I triggered it 35 minutes ago.gif (593 KB, 233x216) Image search: [Google]
I triggered it 35 minutes ago.gif
593 KB, 233x216
>>47767395
>Laptops have the convenience of being able to have just about everything in my collection and end up not only being a rulebook, but also my notebook, dice roller, reference sheets, and GM screen all in one while having the most intuitive interface and usability of all devices on the market.

Laptop salesman plz go!
>>
The $50 kindle fire is pretty okay for this sort of thing, but honestly I find it's way easier to use a book for rules reference. Someone will bring up ctrl-F of course, but go ahead and look up how many times something like "flat footed" appears in the player's handbook.
>>
>>47767613

Yeah, CTRL-F is a lousy substitute for a proper index.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.