[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Science Fantasy Inspiration
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 6
File: scfts.jpg (538 KB, 1118x803) Image search: [Google]
scfts.jpg
538 KB, 1118x803
Hey guys, I wanna base my setting on sci-fantasy ideas, themes and existing settings.

Do you have any inspirational series/movies/books or stuff I should read about?

I'm all for post-apocalyptic science fantasy, heroic science fantasy, not-so-heroic ones, anything really.
>>
Pretty much anything that looks vaguely sciffy and is from before 1960-70. It's a treasure trove out there.
>>
>>47761001
Nothing from 2000 onwards?

Not even TV-shows or stuff like that?
>>
Endless Legend

Treasure Planet
>>
>>47761349
Where can I read about the lore of Endless Legend?

I've seen Treasure Planet, great film actually
>>
>>47762619
Mainly through playing the games, though between the two wikis should be somewhat adequate.
>>
File: creatures2.jpg (460 KB, 1000x1402) Image search: [Google]
creatures2.jpg
460 KB, 1000x1402
Anything by zelazny, Creatures of Light and Darkness in particular.

Michael Moorcock has a decent amount of scifi/fantasy mixing and multidimensional travel between tech and eons.

Newer stuff, if you're into nanomagic, Dust by Elizabeth Bear is pretty good. World ship with mythological parallels.

If you want a weird, sort of bad but worth watching anyway movie, Wizards is very scifantasy. Postapocalypse mutant nazis vs elves with tanks and bows.

But yeah, older writing didn't distinguish between the two as much.
>>
File: 1464916475275.jpg (779 KB, 1920x1154) Image search: [Google]
1464916475275.jpg
779 KB, 1920x1154
>>47760487
Numenera has some pretty crazy so-future-it's-magic shit going on with it.
>>
>>47760487
Book of the New Sun
>>
>>47767156
Reading now. Beautiful and confusing, you cannot tell the technology level of the setting accurately. They talking about the terraformation of the moon one moment, the other struggling to close blade wounds.
>>
>>47760487

Burroughs' Barsoom, Venus, Pellucidar, and Moon stories, which established a lot, if not all, of the tropes associated with science-fantasy. His kinda post-Apoc book The Lost Continent/Beyond Thirty is decent, and there's bunches of sci-fi in some of his Tarzan stories. Flash Gordon & Buck Rogers, anything by H.G. Wells or Jules Verne; Marvel's Killraven comic, McGregor and Gulacy's Sabre, Grell's WARLORD, Lovecraft, Thundarr The Barbarian, either version of Thundercats, Blackstar, Arion Lord Of Atlantis, Kamandi, Atomic Knights, the Camelot In Orbit series of books...
>>
File: ftl cruiser.jpg (177 KB, 1276x716) Image search: [Google]
ftl cruiser.jpg
177 KB, 1276x716
FTL: Faster than light, it comes with prebuilt ships, which can be printed off for boarding combat, the modding community makes additional models, the fluff, while rather sparse, is awesome, and there are 6 unique races apart from humanoids
You have the Zoltan, green goo-energy people that produce electromagnetic fields and can even power a spaceship
The Engi, humanoids created from nanobots that can repair ANYTHING and can also serve as hackers
Rock ...which are hulking troll sized warrior caste creatures made from granite and are immune to fire
Lanius, a spiky metal eating monster creature that can drain oxygen from the surrounding environment
The Slugs, a race of essentialy telepathic space gypsies
And the Mantis, a hostile pirate race that RIPS AND TEARS with 6 arms, but cannot do anything else worth a damn
Different factions exist, such as the Federation, a loosely allied empire that is getting their teeth kicked in by ...
the Rebels, a human supremacist faction who see fit to lay waste to all federation loyalists
The Zoltan Homeworlds, diplomatic allies of the Federation
Pirates, who outnumber all other factions 10 : 1 but are 10X as weak
and corporations, which have varying control based on what sector you are in, from hunted and banned to Shadowrun style Megacorporations

Suffice it to say, FTL is a bretty good setting for a sifi or space opera game
>>
>>47767156

definitely my most favorite book series of all time
>>
File: The Night Land.gif (24 KB, 400x480) Image search: [Google]
The Night Land.gif
24 KB, 400x480
>>47760487
look up The Night Land by William Hope Hodgson(more specifically the A Story Retold version by James Stoddard that rewrites it to more modern standards, as the original was intentionally written in a manner that was archaic even when the book first came out) as it's a pretty unique setting that needs more love
>>
>>47767891
>FTL is a bretty good setting
It's an awesome time waster too. I still play it while sitting here doing other tasks.
Still trying to unlock most of the ships
>>
>>47760487
check out http://pulpcovers.com/
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.