[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>In the far future, two men were caught in an FTL singularity
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: 1347983137648.jpg (194 KB, 800x1299) Image search: [Google]
1347983137648.jpg
194 KB, 800x1299
>In the far future, two men were caught in an FTL singularity event
>This blasted the projections of their souls into the fabric of reality, the ether
>They became immortal and unstuck in time
>At first, they were as gods, exploring new found power
>But then one set about insuring no others would ever suffer their fate, never achieve their strength
>It was discovered that they were not fully unstuck in time
>They could only manifest themselves near FTL events...
>Or near large losses of human life
>The one began engineering catastrophes so that he could manifest before singularity events
>And it eventually became apparent that countless thousands of tragedies were caused by him
>So the other began to hunt him, but they had drifted apart in time
>Every time they lost each other, they would live for thousands of years before encountering each other again
>Or perhaps merely a few minutes for one, or even an earlier incarnation
>This war raged between them for millions of years, spanning the sum of human civilization beginning to end

>And this is where all of the gods of this (fantasy) world have come from
>There are only two, but both of them flicker through time, living but not aging
>The myriad incarnations of so-called pantheons are all but faces of these two in their war

Could this make a decent setting, you think? I feel like the divine drama would never actually come up.

And I have a feeling I'd inevitably get a player with his panties in a twist that I'm mixing fantasy and sci-fi
>>
>>47751041
Write a book. It'd be difficult to run as a campaign.
>>
>>47753933
Players wouldn't be the gods
>>
Been written before, a few times.

The question becomes, where do players fit in? Why does this elaborate backstage reality make a difference to the PC's? How would they even interact with these gods? If they can't then why do the gods matter?
>>
>>47754081
>a few times
By who?
>>
>>47754093
The basics of "two gods at war being all gods ever" is used in multiple books and novels - the reasoning you have developed is different, but the concept isn't unique. But that's really not the point.

The point is, why does this matter to the Pc's?
>>
>>47754133
Don't you think that's kind of incredibly overgeneralizing? I bet the Simpsons did it too.

Dictates the scope of what the gods can achieve and how they can manifest, that there's two groups of gods trying to kill each other, a grand struggle that isn't quite good vs. evil but just the millennia long machinations of power hoarding bastards that will build you up just to knock down your ancestors. Actions being based on knowledge of the future as well as knowledge of future technology.
>>
>>47754204
It is incredibly overgeneralizing.

Okay. Again, where do the PC's fit into this war? That is what determines if it is a good setting or not. A vague concept does not make a setting. It makes a background that means nothing until you put PC's into it. If the PCs have nothing to do with the gods in question, then why do they matter?

Do you see what I'm getting at here? you have an incredibly interestign concept, but you haven't told us where the PC's are supposed to fit in, and then you asked us "is this a good idea?" Idea for what? Obviously it's a good idea for books. As a setting it's meaningless because you haven't told us where the PC's fit into this scenario.
>>
>>47754238
Anon, thats an argument for not explaining anything beyond the quest.

The world has to be robust for the players to go out and be proactive.

The players would be part of the proxy war, fighting the good fight of killing off cultists before they can sacrifice to their dark god, getting caught up in incomplete summonings,

Perhaps the party is the good god, recursed through time four times and in physical form so he can persist between summonings.
>>
>>47754455
>The players would be part of the proxy war, fighting the good fight of killing off cultists before they can sacrifice to their dark god, getting caught up in incomplete summonings,
See, THIS is the part you left out of the OP! It doe kind of matter.

Yes, this sounds like a potentially interesting campaign idea.
>>
>>47754468
Setting idea != campaign idea

Im going to turn this into a short story and see how it feels.
>>
You know, I really thought this would drum up some conversation.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.