[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fluffhammer 40000
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: images.jpg (23 KB, 485x303) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
23 KB, 485x303
I'm a Dawn of War /v/eteran and haven't played tabletop so I'm going off second-hand info here.

So Space Marines, in fiction, are unstoppable über warriors that crush the enemies of man. Bolters are automatic uranium tipped rocket launchers.
And yet you see them die by the dozens to cockroaches and space communists.

How would /tg/ do statlines for different marine chapters, Aspect Warriors. Bolters, and other things where the fluff doesn't reflect the actual rules?
>>
>>47746041

I guess what I'm meaning is that "the armor just shrugs off bolter rounds" should mean "this thing is badass".

Not "this thing's mid range heavy infantry or a light vehicle"

It's just my opinion but it seems to be reflected in the fluff.
>>
>>47746041
You accept the fact that the video games and the tabletop will never represent the lore exactly. At least on the tabletop, it's easy to consider them as taking an incapacitating wound , not a fatal one.
>>
>>47746041
You play the RPGs, which have much more nuanced representations than either the wargame or the video games .
>>
>>47746215
>>47746195

Well I mean if nobody's in the mood to make pedantic minor or major changes to an existing ruleset motivated by nothing but boredom.

I mean come on guys. That's half of /tg/ right there.
>>
For video game fluffhammer, you have to go into third-person shooters rather than RTS.
>>
>>47746266

That's half of old /tg/, anon. Current /tg/ hardly ever bother with silly things like rules.
>>
>>47746041
They're heads and shoulders above cultists and IG conscripts, which reflect the normal human statline.

In the fluff Marines steamroll cultists and lesser aliens, the game is supposed to represent more pivotal battles. Marines arent supposed heads and shoulders above aspect warriors, necrons, orks or dark eldar.

That's the problem with marinefags. 40k is already an unbalanced shitfest and you want your army to be bs5 t5 base statline. No thanks.
>>
>>47746287
Never played Marines. Or 40k outside of DoW.

My biggest issue is probably that Aspect Warriors with crazy good tech, inhuman reflexes and potentially millennia of combat experience can be routinely assfucked by regular old humans wearing dishwashers.

Okay that's not true. I just think the power level of the setting is way too high and I'm trying to see how many people are going to agree with me and say YOU'RE RIGHT! We totally need to make bolters 50% more powerful and 100% more expensive!
>>
>>47746041
When did you start playing? Started playing when Winter Assult came out and I was ranked 5th on NA server during Soul Storm.
>>
>>47746413
The elfdar are rarely routed by the IG but of course a shot through the head will murder you even with 1k+ of experience. Shit happens to marines, loyal and chaotic, all the time.
>>
I think SM on the table top are pretty well represented. At BS4 and T4 while a normal Human statline is BS3 T3. A normal human would have 50% accuracy while a Marine would have around a 66% chance to hit. Their 3+ armour allows them to be able to shrug off most hits from weapons that aren't either designed to punch through SM armour or designed to take down tanks. Of course some low S or low AP weapons can kill them but more often not they're killed by High power weapons or volume of shots. Terminators are the same but harder to kill. Some situations make it so that it's easier to kill a Land Raider than a Terminator. If anything I think it's the SM vehicles that don't have the crunch to back up the fluff.
>>
>>47746452

You're talking to an Ausfag who couldn't afford internet. Took me until Soulstorm to grab anything and couldn't afford to play online even then.

Honestly I'm just needlessly pedantic over gameplay/story segregation.

>>47746482

Fair enough but I feel their points cost and statlines are much lower than they should be for a "dying race of talented immortals" thing.

I mean the actual tabletop is supposed to represent "special" events not just regular skirmishes. They have that.
>>
>>47746041
You'll be a happier person if you don't try to make sense of anything with the different 40k media.

Actually, you'll be the happiest if you don't ask any questions at all because they don't even have internal consistency down within their media.

Just accept it as the gloriously ridiculous over-the-top Spacepopenazi versus the evils of the universe it is.
>>
>>47746267
I was going to say that Space Marine is too far in the other direction, considering that Titus, even as a captain, beats a daemon prince to death with his bare fists.

But then it occured to me that he is an Ultramarine, and that is perfectly plausible for a captain of the greatest of all space marines
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.