[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sup /tg/, total rpg noob here Just bought this. Any D&D
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 8
File: image.jpg (74 KB, 391x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
74 KB, 391x500
Sup /tg/, total rpg noob here

Just bought this. Any D&D guys who could tell me what other books and minis that i should buy to complete it? Thanks.
>>
The Starter Set is a good all-in-one for starting. If you want to move on from it, I suggest buying at least the Player's Handbook and maybe the Monster Manual. The Dungeon Master's Guide is nice as well, but not necessarily required.
>>
>>47647359
I've been wondering about DnD myself. Are minis needed or are they just a means of keeping track of where everything is(like can I use anything to represent them because I'm a cheapass)?
>>
>>47647359
You need to grab a decryption key as well so you can read stat blocks properly.
>>
>>47647415
minis are the fanciest way of playing

you can use (from cheapest to most expensive) :
-your imagination
-peanut shells
-pen and paper
-erasable mat
-printed paper minis
-plastic minis
>>
>>47647415
You can use anything. Minis are just... I guess a nicer looking item to use other then washers or coins
>>
>>47647415
You don't need minis, but they can help a lot. Even a rough sketch of the area with enemy locations pointed out on it is a great help in combat.
>>
>>47647415
Minis are not necessary.

Most of the time you can just use a rough sketch on a piece of paper to keep track of how everyone is positioned.
>>
>>47647459
We use dollar store soldiers / dinosaurs / farm animals / zoo animals.

Works great, they're about at scale for our grid mat & costed less then $10.

One of our players even started to use molding clay & paint to give some of the soldiers uniqueness for player characters.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2448x3264
OP here, thanks for all the help. If i were to buy minis from wizards of the cost for the adventure that is included in the starter set, the lost mines of phandelver, which ones would you reccomend?
>>
OP here, thanks for all the help. If i were to buy minis specifically for the adventure that is included in the starter set, which ones should i buy? Preferably both monsters and heroes. Both plastic and printable are welcome.
>>
>>47647459
I will add the nicest thing Paizo ever did for gaming was have the beastiary pawn box.
Good cardboard pawns and some plastic bases. Even after I sold all my Pathfinder stuff, that and the Inner Sea God's are the only things I kept.
And for 40 bucks you get every monster you need to run. So you don't have to worry about blind boxes or buying bones.
>>
File: 1463560387292.jpg (188 KB, 726x1024) Image search: [Google]
1463560387292.jpg
188 KB, 726x1024
>>47647806
I would recommend this >>47648259
mostly because with those minis are a crap shoot of what you get.
If card board is not your thing, I recommend reaper bones minis. 10 minis can run you about 20 bucks.
>>
>>47647874
don't buy plastic minis

grab the pathfinder pawn sets.

The NPC codex box + Monster box + bestiary box is all you'll ever need

they're like $30 each on amazon, sitll way cheaper than shelling out for crap prepainted minis
>>
>>47647359
Throw that garbage at the next bin and buy Dungeon World. The way Adam Savage made this masterpiece is totally and 100% AWESOME to anyone interested in tabletop RPGs! You can't say "it's shit" if you don't play it, and even after you play it!

Come on, be one of us!
>>
File: 1348111640180.gif (1 MB, 450x337) Image search: [Google]
1348111640180.gif
1 MB, 450x337
>>47651879
>that guy

>>47647359
Run the starter set your first few times to get the group going, OP. Browse the PHB whenever you feel like it (DL: >>47644109) to get acquinted and make the transition when you and your group feel ready to expand the system.
>>
File: Hero Tokens.png (3 MB, 1056x2917) Image search: [Google]
Hero Tokens.png
3 MB, 1056x2917
>>47647415

I made customized tokens for my game. Just search "Token Tool" and then you can click and drag images from Google image search onto it and crop it from there. Here's some I made. Some are pixelated because I was learning how the resolutions worked.
>>
File: Villain Tokens.png (5 MB, 1112x4976) Image search: [Google]
Villain Tokens.png
5 MB, 1112x4976
>>47656955

And Villains
>>
File: Large Cat Token.png (361 KB, 416x416) Image search: [Google]
Large Cat Token.png
361 KB, 416x416
>>47656997

Aaaaand I killed the thread.
>>
File: Thread Necromancer.jpg (26 KB, 300x428) Image search: [Google]
Thread Necromancer.jpg
26 KB, 300x428
>>47657728
RISE
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.