[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Medieval video stuff like HEMA
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
I'm really interested in medieval and Renaissance European combat and warfare, and I'm also a audio-visual kind of learner. What videos and video series does /tg/ like for such kinds of information? I've been watching Skallagrim and ScholaGladiatoria on YT, I kinda like them. I've heard that Lindybeige is shit.
>>
File: 1454271911212.jpg (435 KB, 1785x922) Image search: [Google]
1454271911212.jpg
435 KB, 1785x922
>>47623198
That Lindybeige is *full of* shit, rather.
>>
File: Burial1(2).jpg (26 KB, 339x332) Image search: [Google]
Burial1(2).jpg
26 KB, 339x332
>and I'm also a audio-visual kind of learner

In that case I'd recommend some background music and a few books.

Alan Williams, The Sword and the Crucible
Alan William,s the Knight and the Blast Furnace
Edge & Paddock, Arms and Armor of the Medieval Knight
Oakeshott, The Archaeology of Weapons
Oakeshott, European Weapons and Armour
Hall, Weapons and Warfare in Renaissance Europe
Waldman, Hafted Weapons in Medieval and Renaissance Europe
Fiorate et.al, Blood Red Roses (somewhat whitewashed such, they don't like saying "massacred prisoners")
Capwell, Armour of the English Knight 1400-1450

Videos... sadly often not that great. Lindy certainly being one I don't care for. The Weapons the made Britain documentaries aren't terrible at least, maybe try looking for those. On the made of youtube side Tod Todeschini has some neat bits on crossbows at least, and TheRealGaldiatores have a few neat looking demo videos from the HEMA side of things. There's also this one that I've found rather interesting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMkGF3EqUjU
>>
Lets get the ball rolling.
Tell us why Skallagrim, Schola Gladiatoria and Lindybeige are bad sources, along with any other youtube channels you feel the need to inform people of.
>>
>>47623442
Well Skallagrim is a keen amateur. Who only in the last few months has started properly training HEMA and it's already apparent how much his opinions and tone has changed. He's a good guy and I enjoy his videos but he's soldidly amateur as he admittedly constantly disclaims.

Schola Gladiatoria is excellent and head and shoulders above any other channel not necessarily in quality content but the ratio of quality and information to the wealth and regularity of videos is second to none. The only detractor is his groupies being a little evangelical about the infallability of his knowledge and claims.

Lindybeige is a mismatch channel of essentially experimental archaelogy though I do think he's academically qualified (not sure). He posts videos that are entirely conjecture but presents them in a condescending way that makes people think he's claiming his opinion is absolute fact when really he's just presenting theories and being English. Often very good theories which he does usually back up to some extent. He's a great history channel but his martial arts knowledge is shit.

Protherium is good if low quality visually.

Moving to the martial arts focus over history: Londonlongsword is excellent (having trained with both I think he's a much better teacher than Easton) but his videos are short, ranty and vain.

Ilkka Hartikainen is fantastic as is Matt Galas.

Roland Warzecha could be the best of the bunch.

TheRealGladiatores have the best videos for simple demonstration and I unironically like the Will Keith school of just do whatever.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=talhoffer&page=&utm_source=opensearch
>>
>>47623442
Skallagrim is an amateur, but he at least relies on having handled whatever he's talking about and keeps himself to talking about just that. He isn't trying to appear scholarly.

Linybeige tends to go well beyond that by including a lot of guessworks and references to books he has read once upon a time. That way of arguing his case makes him a lot more dangerous whenever he's wrong because his scholarly pose is more likely to make folks unintentionally drop their BS-guard.
>>
I liked Lindy's video about bayonet charges because it seemed to make a LOT of sense. Funny, part was that I was playing a lot of Empire Total War as the Russians when I watched it, and his point translated well to gameplay. As in just bayonet charging fuckers rather than spending time doing line battles saved lives and broke the enemy fast befofe they could spend a lot of time shooting my dudes. Also, Russians get a massive charge bonus and it's really and incredibly easy strategy to carry out to simply overwhelm specific parts of the enemy forces with massive numbers and then just proceed to flood the rest as the numbers favor you more and more because the enemy is breaking. My friend who was so proud of his british grenadiers and fancy cannons repeatedly fought hard won victories with combined arms and even lost first time he tried to take Stockholm, while I just steam rolled one opponent after the other with a green tide of Russian line infantry so hardened from burning chechnya to the ground six times that they'd take multiple canister shots to the face without even wavering.

Going on a tangent I know, but whatever.
>>
>>47623727
Lindy makes it perfectly clear that his impressions stem from an active LARP and reenactment career with crafting items, fighting in formation, and a generally practical approach. I understand some people here hate him. But he's no more wrong than the next youtuber and his biases are quite transparent.

If you're looking for a pompous pseudointellectual, let me see if I can summon it...

GROPEY!
CLOWN EMERGENCY!
>>
>>47624185
>But he's no more wrong than the next youtuber

Ie crap
>>
>>47624271
>le
Back to 9gag, shoo!
>>
>>47623198
Lindybeige isn't as good as Easton, I personally like him better than Skallagrim. He's actually an archaeologist, while skallagrim strikes me as just some basement dwelling nordic guy. Easton is way better though. If you put a lot of faith in HEMA then you probably won't like lindybeige, since he doesn't use manuals as sources like the others do, and kind of just feels things out? Sometimes it feels like he's talking out his ass
>>
>>47624271
>>47624298
Am I the only who is convinced that the people leddit and 9fag got the idea of using "le" for everything, said le because of that old as fuck flash movie "The of The World" and the "Le fu-" ragecomic?
>>
>>47624574
Yes I'm pretty sure it's mostly because of the use of "le" in ragecomics
>>
>>47624402
>Sometimes it feels like he's talking out his ass
As much as I respect Lindybeige and had a really great correspondence once with him as consultant, he often DO talks out of his ass, since he's simply biased toward certain things.
For his credit, he's very open with his bias. I still remember talking with him roughtly three years ago about sabres and he was completely and utterly incapable of simply grasping the fact people used those on footed combat in Eastern Europe - he was just dead-sure it's impossible, because... for him it just "felt weird" as his entire argumentation.
>>
>>47623355
What kind of stuff is there that strays more towards Eastern Europe, Western Asia, the Turks, Mongols, etc.?
>>
>>47623198
Lindy is extremely biased toward certain things, BUT his bias is also very, very transparent, so you can easily pick just from listening to him which parts of his video are made up to support his own stances and ideas and which are based on solid facts.
His biggest problem for me is his inability to realise he's not always right. Sure, he might admit later that he was wrong (barely anyone can do that, so still a lot of respect), but he won't change/fix/adress his older mistakes in older materials.

Still, one of the best guys in the business and most of the time he's right. And if he's not, it's very clear too.

>>47623442
Different anon, but Skallagrim is just your average dudebro doing "historical" videos. There is absolutely nothing in them than his opinions. Which he himself always repeat...
... but people still tend to treat him like a fucking oracle, which is the real problem here.
>>
>>47623355
>Alan William,s the Knight and the Blast Furnace
Can someone explain my why all of sudden entire /tg/ is wanking about this book? Half of it is bias, the other half is without any real evidence or supporting material. So a bunch of cherry picking combined with opinions impossible to verify.
>>
Lindybeige!
>>
ThegnThrand isn't a bad channel if you can get over the redneck look
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.