[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
GURPS General /gurpsgen/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 44
File: GURPS OP1.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
GURPS OP1.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>
D-day edition?
>>
>>47592786
That would be 5e launch day
>>
Anyone got the new DF Monsters book yet?
>>
Space anon here. If anyone from /gurpsgen/ still wants in on my campaign, I'l have a prelimm session tomorrow. We'll go over char backgrounds, make sheets if need be and go over what to expect and answer any questions.

TIME: 9:00am - 12:00pm GMT-8 (PST)
WHERE: IRC Rizon server - #GURPS channel; but I'll probably end up migrating everyone to Roll20 @ https://app.roll20.net/join/1448220/Pjp85A
SLOTS: I think we have 1 person comitted so far so 2-3 open slots left.
WHAT I NEED: To know the rules in GURPS-lite and to read the history of Pele-3 in Pyramid #3-18

The characters; adventures, scientists and newly minted spacers have just been recruited for an expedition to Europa, a project funded by the Mittleuropean Space Survey Agency with the hopes of discovering alien ruins to help further scientific research.

The recruits who will be part of this preliminary research team are drawn from a pool of highly capable men and women, with only a few selected to go on this highly sensitive mission.

The initial goal will be to establish a Forward Base of Operations for the survey team to go out and collect as much data as possible, and any artifacts if available.

If the Primary Objective is successful then the secondary objective is to secure and artifacts and Ruin location data at the FOB while awaiting reinforcements to arrive and initiate a proper site dig.

>Character Creation Information: 150pts for Stats and Skills only (Gear will be Standard Issue), read the Pyramid Article on Pele-3 and write at least a one paragraph backstory and I will decide on what adv/disadvs are best fit for you char based on that background; the more you write, the better! If you decide to be a Wealthy or High Status Person in your background, you will not be able to access those perks until you are back from the mission. Also if you do not write in any disadvantages for your char's story, I will pick them myself, equivalent in points to the advantages I have chosen for you.
>>
>>47593397
>WHAT I NEED: To know the rules in GURPS-lite
I pray for your group
But good on you for sticking to your guns and following through.
The biggest issue people have is pulling the trigger. The gun is always loaded, you just gotta rack the slide and squeeze
>>
>>47593397
Get your ass to the IRC chat. I need to talk stuff with you.
>>
>>47593488
I think that's a requirement for the players, senpai
>>
>>47593542
Ooooooooh.
Formatting
Also, verb tense
>>
>>47593558
I mean, sure, but wouldn't you find it odd that he needs to know the rules himself? I mean, come on.
>>
>>47593586
It says more that I expected that than my confusion, true.
I have joined some horrible games.
I have hosted some terrible games.
I made no assumption on his abilities; truly , I need to give more of a benefit of the doubt.
>>
>>47593397
I'm on the chat. Where are you?
>>
>>47593011
Yeah, it's pretty good, you can get it at:
http://www.warehouse23.com/products/gurps-dungeon-fantasy-monsters-3-born-of-myth-and-magic
>>
>>47595736
Thank you
>>
How does combat usually goes in gurps?
>>
>>47597924
Melee
>I choose to swing my sword
>Roll against your longsword skill
>If success, you're good to hit
>Enemy roll an active defense
>If his success is larger, you missed or blocked, depending on what he used

Ranged is basically this with distance penalties applied
>>
>>47595736
Could you pretty please upload it to the archive?
>>
>>47597924
In general, it's over after a few solid hits, and the trick is making that solid hit before your enemy does.

With fantasy or other low-tech games, it can come down to "swing 'till you make it" or be a carefully thought out approach that whittles down your opponent's defenses (e.g. take out the foot, knock prone, then go for the final blow) depending on the tone/group/player. With TL5+ firearms, however, fights tend to be much more defensive, with fighters focusing on not getting hit much more than making their opponents easier to hit; cover, suppressing fire, and the brutal effect of most guns promote this mindset.

However, GURPS is nothing if not flexible; a gritty dark fantasy game could lead to much more defensive tactics, and a sufficiently cinematic ruleset for a modern game would promote crazy wuxia gunplay with PCs charging into fire, both barrels a-blazing. Character options are vital too; a berserker in heavy plate won't worry at all about being hit and focus entirely on killing enemies faster, for example.

>>47598093
>If his success is larger, you missed or blocked, depending on what he used
>If his success is larger,
>larger
Nnnnnnope. It's any success. A successful defense negates a successful attack, even if the attack roll succeeded by 6 and the defense roll just barely made it. The ONE condition this does not hold true with is Dodge vs. Rapid-Fire, where you dodge a number of shots equal to 1+Margin of Success; if the attacker rolls well enough to hit with six shots and you only succeed by 2, three bullets still find their mark.
>>
>>47598272
>Nnnnnnope. It's any success.
I stand corrected then.
>>
>>47598093
>>If his success is larger
Huh? Defense test is not contest.
>>
>>47598314
To be fair, there's a variant rule somewhere that changes it to a quick contest of Weapon Skill vs. Defence. Which can be handy if you've got a lot of highly skilled opponents with good defences.
>>
>>47598314
It's cool, there's a lot of material, so everyone inevitably borks up at least a handful of rules. Hell, there are groups that right now are using critical failures and successes on skill checks in D&D 3.PF.

I'm pretty sure my godaweful homebrew for GURPS: Fullmetal Alchemist is still floating around somewhere on the internet. I made it right after picking up my first GURPS book (the 3e Basic Set) and it was full of weird shit, one of which was alchemic attacks being resolved as a quick contest of Symbol Drawing vs. Dodge.

>>47598392
Sounds like retroactively spending your MoS on Deceptive Attack, which all in all isn't bad.
If it's pure 1:1 contest though, that will bork up the system's math, as defenses are almost always — I'm talking 99.9% of the time — going to be lower than attack skills.
>>
>>47598494
>deleting homebrews
Why?
>>
>>47598494
>Symbol Drawing vs. Dodge.
What if you didn't need to draw? Like, you could clasp your hands or having another mean, like Mustang and succh?
>>
>>47598494
I'd think that parry/block would need to be full skill, with cumulative defense penalties doubled (though keeping it the same might be interesting if you want a really long slog of a fight)
Dodge I'm having trouble deciding what would be the most fair (speed +3)*2 or just speed*2, I feel like with the extreme cumulative penalties, the first is more fair, but if you leave cumulative penalties at the same level, the second is more fair.
>>
>>47598592
Oh and likewise, if all penalties are doubled for cumulative active defenses (and probably, side attacks,) bonuses should be doubled too (retreat, dodge and drop, acrobatic dodge, etc.)
>>
>>47598546
It's somewhere on an external drive. This was also a while ago, like four laptops ago.

>>47598549
I don't think I had rules for Edward's bullshit, but things like Mustang's glove were, if I recall correctly, treated like symbol tokens, meaning you still had to roll against Symbol Drawing to show how well you understood the underlying mechanics of alchemy/the transmutation you're attempting.

>>47598592
I'm taking a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach to this; the existing system works fine, and this sounds like a lot of work for not a lot of payoff. That being said, if you were committed to making ATK/DEF a quick contest, I would go with Dodge = Basic Speed * 2, as (BS+3)*2 means the average person has a Dodge of 16, which is ludicrously high and all but ensures the first attack will be dodged no matter how harsh your cumulative penalties are.
>>
>>47598775
Do you have any other homebrew GURPS related stuff?
>>
>>47598775
Yeah, totally agree with the idea of don't fix it since it isn't broke. I was just evaluating it as a mental exercise, and think it gets about impossible at the point where you integrate hit location and armor chink penalties.
>>
Let's say my character is good at carrying stuff; a packmule even.
Is there any advantage/trait to demonstrate this besides Lifting ST?
>>
>>47598798
Just settings, some made because I was bored, some as legitimate attempts for games that never got started, but none worth posting.

>>47598866
Ooh ouch yeah that'd be a humongous pain in the ass.

>>47599400
Maybe the Lifting skill? There's not a lot more out there as Lifting ST hits it right on the nose.
>>
>>47599813
>>47599400
Same guy. If I'm making a merchant/party face at TL/4, would wrestling and brawling be enough to be useful at combat or should I take a weapon? Assume average DX and ST.
>>
>>47599966
I imagine a merchant would probably at least have a knife in case of an emergency.
>>
>>47599966
Like >>47600285 said, it's reasonable to have some sort of emergency weapon; at the very least, its good for finishing off foes you've pinned.

As Lifting ST affects grapples, I would say you may even become an accidental combat monster with a decent level of Wrestling and enough levels of Lifting ST. In fact, I think there was even a short greentext about the party Dwarf that acted as the loot packmule suddenly realizing how good he was at grappling and started popping goblin heads left and right.

However, rereading your post, it sounds like you're talking about two different characters/character concepts. In that case, Knife >>>>> Wrestling + Brawling. Wrestling requires you to stay in long protracted engagements, which is a horrible idea if combat is not your character's focus or you have nothing else to supplement it (like oodles of ST/Lifting ST). Brawling is little better, as the relatively low damage means it'll take awhile to knock an opponent down. In both cases, you'll be forced into close combat while enemies are likely to have at least Reach 1 weapons, thus putting you in danger before you can begin to threaten them.

Knives have imp injury type, making them much more deadly, and are DX (E), making it cheap to become decent in them. Upping to a Smallsword or Shortsword would also give you Reach 1 and access to decent cutting attacks, and both skill choices are still reasonable for a merchant.

>tl;dr if you don't plan on making your character combat focused, a weapon, even a tiny dagger, allows you to do damage and then get the hell out of there while your attacker is reeling. Leave the actual fighting to your hired muscle.
>>
>>47600591
>pping to a Smallsword or Shortsword would also give you Reach 1
Large and Long knives have reach 1, the latter is basically a messer and can be used with both Knife and Shortsword skills.
>>
>>47600741
Only with the cutting attacks, and IIRC those are fairly anemic at the ST levels a non-combat character will have.

I initially was going to praise the long and small knife for increasing reach but had to go back and change it.
>>
File: Capture.png (6 KB, 843x41) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
6 KB, 843x41
>>47601662
Not really.
At ST 10 it would be 1d-1 cut vs 1d-2 imp
>>
>>47598775
Then there's the trouble of defense options, like retreating, extra effort, cross parries and the likes.
>>
>>47601902
My bad, I was only looking at Basic Set. The Large Knife there does sw-2 cut @ C,1 and thr imp @ C, and the Small Knife does sw-3 cut and thr-1 imp at the same reaches; in both cases, its the same damage with a worse injury multiplier for slightly better reach.

Still, the Long Knife does look like the best option; decent all-around stats and significantly more expensive than regular Large/Small Knives but a hell of a lot cheaper than a shortsword or smallsword.
>>
File: 1274128267429.jpg (120 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1274128267429.jpg
120 KB, 500x500
Super drunk, and it's mah birthday.
Love you fuckin lovelies, with your gurpsin
You fuckin great guys
Love you

I troll a lot. But I fucking love you guys and I love gurps.
>>
I've got a question, GURPS-friends

Say your character is TL n. Say it's time-travelling campaig or just IE setting. Say this character lands in TL n+y, where y is natural number higher than 0, so technically in world more advanced than his native TL.

Now normally when dealing with higher TL means you have a penalty to skills, -5/TL level. What about such character who lives in different TL for a while?
For lack of any better examples, Cap living in modern-day world, so skipping two TLs from WW2 to modern times and often experiencing stuff from even further TL.

Does it amount to standard penalties? Is there some counter to them? How to deal with this
>>
>>47605805
I think this is covered explicitly somewhere in the book, but off the top of my head, I'd say it's treated as a more intense version of Familiarity; you can re-learn a TLn skill as its TLn+a version in less time than it would take for a layman with no background to learn it from scratch.
>>
>>47606556
That's... not explaining much
>>
>>47605805

The TL penalty applies to all technological skills, but you can learn DX-based skills of any TL as normal, providing you have a teacher. Conan the Barbarian could learn to fire a laser rifle if someone told him what a trigger is and how to sight it. All you have to do is find a teacher and pay the points. IQ-based technological skills require you to raise your personal TL before you can learn them (meaning you have to pay points). Basic Set p. 291 explains how to raise TL in play:

>Tech Level: You can raise your personal TL (see Technology Level, p. 22) by living in a society of a higher TL than your own – but only if you are free to attend that society’s schools and benefit from its conveniences (being an alien abductee, prisoner, etc. doesn’t count). The GM should consider limiting improvement to one TL per year of game time.

A year is probably realistic but you should feel free to vary the time to whatever you need. I think a few months should be the minimum though, maybe one month in a cinematic game.
>>
>>47606632
So, sticking with Cap example - you would be unable to catch up with non-DX skills
>>
>>47606716

After a year or so, Cap would be at the point where he could use a smartphone or a laptop, but up until then he'd be useless at any IQ-based technological skills.
>>
When in our previous campaign we got stranded on an uninhabitable island and struggled to get food, we made a joke about using a spell to locate bananas. That got me thinking and I realized I want to play as a food mage. A greasy fat older dude who can only use Magic to make food. I also love the fact that the food college is the least respected among spellcasters.

So I did it. I started playing as a food mage. I tried making him powerful in non—combat situations with high Acting, Public Speaking, Fast Talk, etc. Unfortunately, Magic costs a lot of pts. and such, I can't be as effective as a diplomat with 21lvl. Fast Talk and reaction mod. +6. So in order to be not completely useless, I picked a couple spells from Light/Darkness. My character has a disadvantage Pacisift (Cannot Kill) so that's what I figured would help me the most.

Now, I love playing a dickish food—mage, and not worrying about starving sounds amazing, but I feel like eventually I'll be dead weight to my combat focused party. What should I do to not seem like I'm leeching off? Do I become the party's diplomat and run away at the slightest hint of danger? Or do I just run away from the party, get a winemaker's license and start selling Fool's Banquet food and turning Water to Wine? I figured in about a decade of gametime I could afford a small mercenary band that would complete quests for me. Assuming I don't die of high cholesterol before that.
>>
>>47607026
Learn to create a ton of carrots out of thin air, drop it all on enemies.
>>
>>47607026
Aren't there a handful of adventuring-useful spells scattered across the college? If not, branch out to other colleges while maintaining the food theme, e.g. Create Fire to cook food AND burn enemies.
>>
What's a good level of cinematic-ness for martial characters if casters would be using Sorcery? I'm planning for a high fantasy game, but I normally run low+dark fantasy, so my usual standby of brutal martial combat + slow and risky and subtle magic won't work here.
>>
File: 41Dw6KwOTmL.jpg (29 KB, 350x250) Image search: [Google]
41Dw6KwOTmL.jpg
29 KB, 350x250
>>47607026
Just be pic related
>>
>>47607026
>uses dash as hyphen
Stop this.

Cover floor and enemies in alcohol to make them flammable.
Create peas under their legs to trip them.
>>
>>47607026
Look up the Cheese school. It was printed in an older Pyramid, so it's legit.

Fuck fireball, Cheeseball is where it's at.
>>
>>47607087
200+50 is usually more than enough. 250+50 and you are in Predator territory. 300+50 and you are low-tier supers/Steven Seagal
>>
>>47607106
http://www.sjgames.com/pyramid/sample.html?id=510
>>
>>47607062
I picked basically every food spell in the Magic book and almost everything there is either Create Food or Make food better. It also is very vague on WHAT food can I make, but I think the GM is into the idea enough to let me pick.

The peas on the ground idea is dope.
>>
>>47607094
Is there a way to create alcohol out of water? Wine isn't really flammable.

>>47607119
GOAT
>>
>>47607327
>Is there a way to create alcohol out of water? Wine isn't really flammable.
Magic, sex-bomb
>>
>>47607114
Was looking for rules or campaign options, not point values, sorry. High point values don't help balance martial vs. caster; a 350-point swordsman is capable of a LOT of stuff, but in a campaign that uses Last Gasp, Bleeding, Blunt Trauma and Edged Weapons, etc., he is going to pale in comparison to a 350-point sorcerer simply because of the restrictions placed on the swordsman.

Short version is that I want to avoid the PF issue where level 20 wizard ≠ level 20 fighter.
>>
>>47607401
Try looking at the DF Sorcerer template in Pyramid #3/82 Magical Creations. Along with the template itself, there are some recommended limits for sorcerers to keep them in-line with DF's power level (limiting damage to 1d+1 per level of Sorcerous Talent comes to mind). Assuming your martial are at least as cinematic as the Knight, Swashbuckler, or Eldritch Knight, you should be fine and not see too many power gap issues.
>>
>>47607401
>High point values don't help balance martial vs. caster
Just to remind you - we are talking about GURPS, not D&D. Please don't even pretend there is any "matrial vs caster" issue, or leave the thread right now. There is reaction, movement space and time, stealth, shooting things from safe distance and DOZENS of options that are more than obvious.
The issue doesn't exist within GURPS. Hell, it doesn't exist in any other games than D&D and its clones.
>>
>>47607401
Anon, do you even Supers? Literally entire line of GURPS games about people punching the living crap out of magic users, powerful mutants, aliens and giant robots armed with lasers and you are going to bullshit us about "martial vs. caster"
Don't you have some PT thread to shitpost in?
>>
>>47607454
Calm the fuck down son. The issue doesn't exist by default, but it CAN if you take D&D's retarded approach of "martials are limited by reality, casters can shit out pocket universes by the truckload."

Asking for which cinematic rules you should use to make sure that your swordswingers don't get outpaced by the spellslingers is totally fine. If you're using an exceptionally powerful or open-ended magic system, you should boost mundane characters a little bit with a healthy serving of cinematic rules and character options; at the very least, you shouldn't make their shit harder with pro-realism rules like he mentioned (Last Gasp and BT&EW especially).

Batman and Superman are balanced against each other when and only when they share the same point value AND the universe run on cinematic logic that allows a gadget-happy punch-ninja to go toe to toe with the same enemies facing a flying super-durable super-strong laser-shooting godking; if Batman had to operate under realistic injury and combat rules, spending all those points on Wealth, Gadgets, and Karate would have been inferior to Superman's spending them on DR, Super ST, Innate Attack, and Flight.
>>
>>47607570
>The issue doesn't exist
>But you can always import it from other game
What for?
No, really, what the fuck for?

God, I fucking hate when 3.5 crowd emerges from their hug-box and starts spreading their bullshit around
>>
>>47607595
Step 1) Unbunch your panties
Step 2) There is no step two, just calm your tits.

Dude is normally used to running low/dark fantasy games and wants to run high fantasy. He wants to know what rules he should incorporate to make sure it's high fantasy for everyone. Since his GMing experience seems to be focused around only the pro-realism ultra-gritty optional rules, he wants a recommendation of cinematic optional rules.

>>47607087
To answer your question (since it seems the other faggots won't and would rather jerk off their persecution boner), either set it to Dungeon Fantasy levels of cinematic like >>47607444 suggested, or let default unrestricted sorcerers rub shoulders with wuxia/chambara martials (p. MA128) if you want it to be super-high action-heavy fantasy. Also imbuements. Always imbuements.
>>
>>47607570
Let me get this straight. You want to play under high-point cinematic rules and you are seriously asking how "martials" are suppose to beat "casters"?
Gee, maybe with the sole fact it's cinematic game? You never read Action or something?
>>
>>47607681
>I'm seriously not defending myself
>This is different anon defending me, really!
>Stop it senpai! No bully!
>>
>>47607401
Have a look at some of the power ups for DF martial characters. There's a heap in the Way Of The Warrior issue of Pyramid.
Just, let them take abilities which let them exceed the limits of regular people without seeming inherently magical or anything. Let them parry fireballs with their swords, do crazy jump-based move and attack maneuvers.
>>
>>47607708
So when someone calls you out on being an overemotional reactionary faggot, your response is to scream samefag?
>>
>>47607760
>>47607681
>>47607444
Thanks, I'll look into those. Using DF as a base doesn't sound like a bad start at all.
>>
>>47607787
Only when it's a case of samefaggotry
>>
File: 1459107072030.jpg (354 KB, 1165x1410) Image search: [Google]
1459107072030.jpg
354 KB, 1165x1410
>>47593397
>>47593528
>>47594011
I'm in the IRC room now. If I can't get enough people to commit today, I'll post on Game Finder. In the meantime, I'll be working on the Roll20 room and making a twitter for the game.
>>
File: bob_0.png (455 KB, 640x430) Image search: [Google]
bob_0.png
455 KB, 640x430
Remember, GURPSfriends, you can play whichever way makes ya happy. Maybe in your world there's a martial/caster divide? You decide. It's your world.
>>
>>47606828
>>47606716
>Iron man"I need you to check the breaker! How is it?"
>Cap "it seems to run on some sort of...electricity?"

Great scene in that movie, IMHO. Very much so reinforced to reality of being unfrozen decades later.
>>
>>47607062
Dehydration and Starvation are two pretty effective straight up battle spells, and then there is poisoning food.
>>
File: bodcheese.jpg (45 KB, 345x215) Image search: [Google]
bodcheese.jpg
45 KB, 345x215
>>47607119
>>
>>47608795
Anon. That's not skipping TLs, that's just not having the relevant engineering skill. I doubt many people have the TL8+1^ skills needed to understand much of the helicarrier. Iron Man could've asked any of the other Avengers and have the same answer.
>>
I just mentally orchestrated in my head what I think would be an awesome boss fight, but I dunno if my players will be able to do it.

The players complete a ritual at the top of a tower, which summons the giant jelly from Dungeon Fantasy Monsters 1... outside of the tower, with entrances too small for the jelly to do anything but prod and jostle.

This also summons a horde of doomchildren who slowly swarm the tower.

The players throw the doomchildren at the jelly, and kill it with the explosions. Looking at the stats, they have a ton of striking st, but pitiful resistance to wrestling skills.

How obtuse of a strategy is this, and what kind of hints could I give for this to be an effective strategy? Or should I abandon this thought altogether?
>>
>Low-Performance Spacecraft accelerates at less
than 0.1G
>High-Performance Spacecraft: Any space vehicle that accelerates at 0.1G or more.

What's "G"?
>>
>>47609702
G force probably.
>>
>>47609702
Acceleration due to gravity, same as G in any physics equation.

>>47609632
Puzzle bosses are fun, but avoid "one solution only" types of puzzles, because those turn into a game of "guess what the GM is thinking"; if the party really wants to try a frontal assault, they should be able to (it should be hard as FUCK though, because that's a really dumb plan).

Does the party have experience with Doomchildren? Try using the Mario puzzle/gimmick system: introduce the gimmick safely, introduce it with consequences, put a twist on the gimmick, use the gimmick to defeat the boss, abandon gimmick. Putting this into practice, it may end up looking something like this.
1) Party sees doomchildren early on, but don't engage them. Maybe they see them fighting something else, or they get killed in an accident. Either way, they see the on-death explosion.
2) Party fights a decent number of doomchildren; if they can set up a chain reaction, the fight will be super easy.
3) Party needs to use the explosive force to remove some sort of barrier like a damaged wall, or do something else similar that cements the idea that doomchildren can be used offensively.
4) Party needs to sling doomchildren at the giant jelly boss.
>>
>>47609860
So, the acceleration varies according to the gravity of the celestial body that they currently are at?
>>
>>47609860
Thanks for the thoughts, those suggestions line up a bit with what I was thinking I'd do. I was going to have another monster blow up a ton and cause a chain reaction, the only thing I had difficulty with is thinking of a good way to communicate, "you guys are easily capable of grappling and throwing these guys," without outright saying it.

I definitely am thinking of reasonable contingencies. One player has Area Knowledge for the area so I'm going to let that player exposition the major bad stuff because she "just knows it" and have a few tools around to brute force it (EG, it can't be hit with metal weapons without surge aura counter-attack, so I'll make sure that they go through a room in the tower with wooden weapons, and hope they remember it, maybe an armory with some arrowheads that do crushing damage instead because it is homogenous.)
The one player that *might* have a reasonably easy time of fighting it in a brute-force "hit it until it dies" approach is an artillery mage that has a lot of attacks it is not especially resistant to.
>>
>>47609893

Earth's gravity is 1G which is also expressed as 9.81m/s^2 or 10 yards/second^2. It's just a convenient unit to express acceleration in.
>>
>Hiking distance is Move*10
>A regular character can walk 50 miles per day
Isn't this a little absurd or am I reading the rules wrong?
>>
I'm building a light and darkness mage, my primary thing is darkness. Mind it's not the only spell college my character has.
But what would be something impressive for the battlefield one could do? Other mages get rain of fire, volcano and different things. Whats something interesting a darkness focuessed mage could aspire to?
>>
>>47612040
>Within an area, every enemy is struck blind, with cloying black shadows stretching across their faces like living things
>>
>>47611818
Wilderness Survival for dungeon fantasy would say that the average person can hike 8 hours a day (no survival skill) and on decently leveled roads, (1.00x speed) could go (move/2 * 1.00 * 8) = 20 miles a day in nominal conditions.
>>
>>47612133
What I quoted is from the core book.
>>
>>47612161
Yeah, I'm looking at that now. It seems a tad bit unrealistic unless this Joe Average was somehow walking constantly without stopping... I'd say a conservative guess would probably be about 3 miles an hour on any terrain slightly challenging, and 16 hours if he hiked non-stop... so that comes to 48 miles. Probably suffered a lot of fatigue damage though... but sleep can supposedly fix that.
>>
File: 1464408143075.png (22 KB, 804x743) Image search: [Google]
1464408143075.png
22 KB, 804x743
Is there any real difference, game-wise, between tracked & half-tracked vehicles for roll resolutions or skill modifiers?
>>
>>47612756
Purely crunch-wise to drive - not really, unless GM decides to make terrain rolls.
Crunch-wise to repair - yeah, since half-tracked are slightly harder to repair and take more time.

And besides, why would you want to drive half-tracked, fluff-wise, in the first place?
>>
>>47612756
please refrain from frogposting in the future
>>
>>47612827
>GM decides to make terrain rolls
Would half-tracked be at an additional -2 on rough terrain?
>>
>>47612756
As far as I know, GURPS does not have a separate skill for driving tracked and wheeled vehicles, while main advantage of half-tracks is how they can be operated by someone with just bog-standard driving license. Hence half-tracks don't make any difference in skills.

They DO however make a difference in maintaince, as you will need higher skill due to more complex drive, need more parts, it's MUCH easier to immobilise and it's not as effective as fully-tracked vehicle in rough terrain (still better than wheeled ones, but just barely).
Oh, and they are almost exclusively late TL6, early TL7.

Get yourself 8-wheeled armoured vehicle or tank, but don't bother with half-tracks
>>
Is there a place in the books that has a table with the radius that specific light sources illuminate?
>>
>>47613026
Basic Set, table about light sources?
>>
>>47613199
Yeah. T don't remember where that is.
>>
>>47609702
Multiples of Earth's gravity.
>>
>>47612040
Get Shadow-Slay from Death Magic.
>>
>>47613199
There's probably also a more detailed table in the book on senses and perceptions.
>>
>>47613199
IIRC, Basic just says torches and flashlights are -3, almost pitch dark is -9 and complete dark is -10.

There are something like three other tables in other books (Mysteries, Tactical Shooting, and Powers: Enhanced Sense) but none of them really agree.

Kromm also has a post on the forums about it: http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?p=223114#post223114
>>
File: I guess.jpg (17 KB, 236x262) Image search: [Google]
I guess.jpg
17 KB, 236x262
>cold is a fire spell
>>
>>47615744
It makes sense when you think of fire college as controlling thermal energy, and cold being the effect of evacuating or destroying the element you control.
>>
File: wizard.jpg (112 KB, 404x600) Image search: [Google]
wizard.jpg
112 KB, 404x600
If a spell has no casting time listed, it just takes 1 second, right?
>>
To whomever asked: slingshots are covered in GURPS High-Tech. The skill to shoot with one is Bow (Slingshot). Basic damage is 1d-1 cr, but lead/steel projectiles add +1 to damage, making them deal 1d cr.

Not bad for a kid's toy, huh?
>>
>>47616146
Yup;
>>
>>47616633

Speaking of which, even though the damage isn't based off of the user's ST/thr the way actual Bows are, would it be unbalanced to allow Weapon Master (Slingshot) or Weapon Master (All muscle-powered weapons) to afford it's damage bonus to slingshots?
>>
>>47616683
Just come up with stats for a slingshot using that deadly spring article. :)
>>
>>47617543
Oddly enough, I don't think The Deadly Spring, for all its detail, can represent slighshots at all. All the equations assume a string with negligible elasticity and all the energy coming form the elasticity of the bow arms instead; that's a full 180° from how slingshots work.
>>
>>47617729
This is made on GCS I assume?
>>
File: Deloth-Ainur.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Deloth-Ainur.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>47617806
sorry, better sheet here
Thoughts? Shes a monastic raised fighter, based around the principles of avarice and cowardice

I was experimenting with Pact limitations, then came across the art
>>
File: Deloth-Ainur.jpg (49 KB, 736x999) Image search: [Google]
Deloth-Ainur.jpg
49 KB, 736x999
>>47617881
and a fullsize of the art

She's not a direct enemy, but shes a semi-capable NPC. I'm banking on the DR to extend her story uptime
>>
>>47617881
You're spending enough on karate techniques that you're better off just raising the skill level; those 12 points put into Karate give you a +3 to skill, which results in defaults higher than the ones you ave currently bought up to. If DX+5 [24]-17 is too high for your desired character concept, put those points elsewhere; putting 4 of those 12 into Karate means all the listed techniques are at the same level and you still have 8 left over. Why not Stealth or Shadowing for ambushes?

Trained by a Master with pact limitations doesn't make a lot of sense UNLESS it's meant to indicate the demon is actively guiding the DA's body; if the demon simply trained her, she has the full advantage as normal as the demon revoking his dark blessings doesn't undo the all that training and knowledge (then again, I guess he could steal it away; it is a demon after all).

Speaking of Trained by a Master, one of TbaM's strengths is that it unlocks *all* of those really really nice cinematic ki skills, which you do not seem to have invested in beyond a point in Mental Strength. If you do end up dropping the karate techniques, consider investing some of those points in Power Blow, as your already high Will means you'll end up with a very acceptable final skill level of 15 with only 8 points invested. If you double your ST, you'll end up with a whopping THIRTY-TWO ST; grab a nearby carriage (with or without the horse attached) and swing that motherfucker to bring some truly ludicrous damage.

...And i just realized this is for an NPC, so point values, optimization, and just like pact-limited TbaM really don't matter as it's not a PC. I'll actually answer your question in my next post, on the off chance some of the above is useful to you or another anon looking for optimization tips.
>>
Ive never played GURPS, but I've been looking for a system for my next scifi game. I know many people say GURPS does everything, but how well does it handle scifi? my campaign is a bit of action, a bit of espionage and spy shit, with lasers, strickly on one planet (so I dont need rules for space combat)

And hove easy would it be to teach to my players.
>>
>>47618705
As an NPC, she's flavorful; she has a clear goal that will likely bring her into conflict with the party, and evil demon monks are just plain cool in my book.

At the same time, I'm worried she might be too intense. With Intolerance of everyone that's not her CE religion and a goal that 80% of parties will strongly oppose, there's really not of options when confronting her that don't lead to battle, and in battle she's a demon in her own right. 1d+2 imp is nothing to sneeze at, especially if they can be thrown out super fast thanks to TbaM's reduced rapid strike penalties. Further, Semi-Ablative is basically a non-limitation in most low-tech games, as you'd need to deal 100 points of damage to bring it down to the more reasonable-to-beat DR 10. Unless the party has a no-magic zone on hand to exploit the Magic limitation or can trick her into breaking her Vow, I really don't want to be in their shoes when she comes knocking; you need someone else as stupidly strong as her to hope to beat her in a fair fight. That being said, ambushes and environmental hazards are always a thing, as DR 20 probably won't save her from falling off a cliff or having a mountain dropper on her.

Maybe tone down her dedication to Evil so the party has a chance to do something besides immediately resort to fisticuffs (if they do anyway, it's their funeral-- I mean it's their choice). Intolerance against a specific smite-happy religion allows for some conversation to occur. Similarly, a more specific vow/quest — e.g. hunt down an ancient artifact to free this particular demon lord rather than be constantly attempting to free every demon at every opportunity — would let her take the long view, possibly even working with the party if she can hide her goals well enough.

>tl;dr cool but too tough to throw against most parties (unless it's a really high-power game), and her personality as it stands doesn't really lend itself to anything other than immediate direct combat.
>>
>>47618705
I like all your suggestions!
I was on the fence about trained by a master and weapon master (martial arts). It seemed minimaxy to get karate bonus damage on top of that too, but I still feel it could work. (I also can't believe I missed out on the ki abilities. Derp)

And good eye on stealth/shadowing being missing. Will add.

>>47618917
Gurps handles scifi rather well; keep it simple, and don't go crazy with extra books just yet. You can teach the basic game easily, especially if you limit your presentable scope early (short equipment lists, limited character options in setting, etc.) When in doubt, less is more.
>>
>>47619037
>Less is more

is there a specific scifi gurps book you'd recommend? and by less do you mean even less than the one book?
>>
>>47618977
Hmm. Noted. May make the shell Dr ablative but higher. And that vow felt clunky to me, too. Bad wording.

But! Total intolerance allows for insulting yet dismissively cooperative interactions. She'd just be constantly rude as fuck to anyone who doesn't like devil cock.

Any other demonic behavioral suggestions? Remember, pact means it has to be a self imposed mental disadvantage.
>>
>>47619103
I mean: don't do everything possible all at the beginning. Add complexity in layers.

Give your players the setting, and build characters in session zero.
Then do an intro to the world, drop your plot hook on them.
Then, test their abilities. Do a simple combat. See how well things are going. Add more or less complexity as it comes up (most of these options are combat related)

It's like anal sex man; take it slow, communicate, lubricate, and have fun with it.
>>
>>47618917
Check out GURPS: Lite; it's a free 32-page version of the system that leaves out the more technical mechanics and out-there character options. It's great for learning the system and should be used by both you and your players.
The Action series is also great for, well, action! The B.A.D. system, chase rules, and range bands have all been invaluable when running my own high-octane action game where looking up modifiers was just not worth the toll it took on the tone and pacing. While it assumes a modern-day setting, it's piss easy to update it to sci-fi; the commando's guns go pew pew instead of bang, the transporter deals with a different kind of vehicle, the spy's gadget get even more outrageous, etc.
Lastly, Ultra-Tech will be your equipment catalog. Don't be afraid to say "no," however; if, for example, the grav needler is too powerful for the tone you're looking for, it's not in the game, simple as that.

If you stick with the above, you should avoid most pitfalls that mar first-time GURPS games (namely the tendency to get swamped in character options or use every single optional rule until the game is a slow mess). Speaking of which, see if you can nab "How to be a GURPS GM." It's stupidly useful.
>>
File: 1275934793263.jpg (297 KB, 700x979) Image search: [Google]
1275934793263.jpg
297 KB, 700x979
>>47619295
I'd post it direct but 4chan has it flagged.
>>
>>47619419
Post it in pastebin
>>
Okay so, how does the Ally advantage work, exactly? The way the basic set book reads, my character can spend 1 point and get an ally with 25 points worth of stuff (my character is 100 points total)? Additionally, if I want my ally to be an animal companion (a dog), how exactly do I tally up the points for that? The "Large Guard Dog" on page 457 of the Campaigns book is like... -150 points or something after building it?

Clearly I'm missing something here. Any help/advice would be appreciated.
>>
>>47619656
You need to define two components for an ally:
1) the ally's relative point value (eg, in your case, 25%)
2) the Ally's appearance likelihood, which will be a multiplier of that. A "Constant" is x4 (so 4 points) and less likely is less.

You can give the GM some guidance for the type of ally you want, but ultimately it is the GM's decision. You can say "I want a guard dog, and I like the one on page 457 of basic set campaigns" and a sensible GM will probably give you a guard dog, is probably fine with that specific template, and the GM will spend spend more points on whatever until it is worth at least 25 points.
The GM might make it stronger, better trained, give it powers (if it is that type of campaign) etc.
>>
>>47619108
Ablative DR is basically HP, so that's your call; at 16 HP she's already weirdly durable and probably won't see too many crippled limbs or even major wounds. If you increased her HT, you'd start to be getting into Terminator-levels of resistance.

True, Intolerance doesn't mean "kill on sight," but it doesn't just mean simple smugness or jackassery either (take the Chauvinism quirk for that); if the party opposes her goals, there's really no reason for her *not* to get violent, especially if she can win. At least, that's my reading of Intolerance's clause that any reaction result worse than Neutral can lead directly to combat.

Note that the above all assumes she's fairly open with her demonic proclivities and mission, giving the party ample reason to openly confront her; if not, she should have a Secret. Giving her a Secret would allow her to maintain her Intolerance and Vow basically as-is (I do agree that the vow at least needs a rewording if not true revision) without it becoming a TPK. Acting would let her pretend she doesn't want to rip out the party paladin's intestines, and Fast Talk lets her brush off questions about that weird chanting they heard last night.

At the end of the day, though, she's an NPC entirely under your control; she only starts fights if you think it's appropriate.

>>47619656
Ally gives *up to* that point value. Instead of taking a 1-point ally and trying to spend that point budget, it's assumed that the GM has written an ally out and told you you need to spend X points to take them as an ally. There are alternatives, though:
1) Improved allies. If this dog is an ally, that means there's something special about it. What makes this guard dog unique? Increase or add skills/attributes; you can even up IQ if you want it to be "exceptionally well trained" and able to follow commands better in combat.
2) Lower percentages (pic related).

I'm sorry but I'm tired as fuck right now. If my shit doesn't make sense, that's why.
>>
>>47619776
Okay, great. Thanks for the quick and informative response!
>>
>>47619656
>not giving your dog Super Luck, Ridiculous Luck, Acute Taste And Smell +6, and Sanitized Metabolism
>>
>>47620135
>Fictional Dog Powers

Yeah, Lassie and Rin-Tin-Tin never shit on the set and get by via crazy coincidences. You forgot Gesture at IQ +12 though. Those bastards can communicate a lot without talking.
>>
>>47618917
GURPS is good at sci-fi in general, but where it really shine is slowly expanding the scope of the game.
Just like anons said, start with Lite. If it catch up with you and your players, switch for Basic Set. From there, after it catche up to, go for High/Ultra tech (depending how far ahead the "fi" part of sci-fi goes) and when it catches up too, you can go for very specific elements.
In short - you can start pretty simple and over time keep introducing new elements, which is for me the best part of it when playing with new people - you can slowly increase the dose of GURPS in GURPS. Nobody wants to start with two days spent on calculating advantages of their PC, but everyone wants to get their PC progressively more and more complex and apt over time.
>>
File: 1200x630bf.jpg (31 KB, 362x556) Image search: [Google]
1200x630bf.jpg
31 KB, 362x556
>>47620135
>Not having just a normal, regular dog
>Instead, having a bio-job
>Still not giving it hands
>Still living in environment capable of supporting non-weevilified life
I mean... who would want a bio-job without hands?!

Yes, this is a joke and pretty funny one if you know the reference
>>
>>47620828
Jesus, that story was just pure depression... thanks for reminding me how bad I felt after reading it

;_;
>>
I've got some questions for a magic user.

Ive gotten a familiar, and a powerfull one at that. Is there an advantage to see through it's eyes?

And is there a perk or anything to negate penalties from having an active spell maintained?
I want my caster to constantly walk around with like a spell effect on.
>>
>>47621621

>Is there an advantage to see through it's eyes?

Not a specific one, but Mind Reading can do it with some modifiers. Use that advantage, add the Sensory Only limitation (allows you to experience its senses but prevents you from reading its mind) then maybe stack some things like Accessibility: Only On Familiar and others. As long as your familiar is willing, you don't need to roll to establish contact, I think, but double-check the entries in Basic and Powers.
>>
Can someone PLEASE point me to the rules on Wildcard Techniques?

---

Also, i've a question on Ally/Dependent. Say a player character is wandering through an abandoned neighborhood and comes across a stray Beagle. Should the player desire to become it's new owner, what is the most accurate way to stat it up? Would a dog merely be an Ally, an Ally plus Dependent, or just a Dependent?

If it is an Ally, what is it's Appearance modifier (assuming this is a normal but loyal canine)? Does the player character need to start learning Animal Handling pronto?
>>
>>47623068
Don't know the exact rules, but from the sound of things, they're probably Hard techniques with x3 cost that apply to every weapon e.g. Sweep! lets you try and knock an enemy prone with any suitable weapon. I'll try and hunt down a specific page number when I get home.

---

As for the beagle, neither Ally nor Dependent is really suitable... yet. Both require a strong bond between the two that does not exist simply because the PC wants the dog. I would start out treating it like any other NPC that just happens to tag along with the party. Only after some sort of trust or other relationship has been established (which may or may not require some training via Animal Handling, depending on how cinematic the world is; a campaign that runs on cheesy movie logic would have the dog and human be fast friends after an emotional meal-sharing or rescue scene) would I let the dog be purchased as an Ally.

As for once it becomes an Ally, I'd say constant appearance (x4 IIRC), as dogs have little agency; if it's not coming on the adventure, it's probably because his owner said no and not because the dog had plans elsewhere.

I wouldn't use Dependent at all; Ally already requires you to give a shit about the NPC, while Dependent means there will be occasionally adventures revolving around the dog being in danger. Unless there's a reason for someone to try and hold the dog hostage, Dependent doesn't really fit.
>>
>>47623438
Ah, so I wasn't 100% right; wildcard techniques are just x3 cost, no need to boost it to Hard. Pic related is from the "To the Skills... and Beyond!" text box on p. 20 of Power Ups 7: Wildcard Skills, though I think the idea was probably used before then (I'm 99% sure Dungeon Fantasy uses wildcard techniques as power ups).
>>
File: 1460818111419.jpg (426 KB, 750x1000) Image search: [Google]
1460818111419.jpg
426 KB, 750x1000
>>47619839
The problem I find with Secrets is that the core of the noc is that she is unabashedly following the will of the demons. They tutor her and guide her., and she wears it like a badge of honor, shunning the greater part of elven society in doing so. With a secret, she wouldn't be able to rub it in people's faces unless she was cryptically aloof about it all, and that's just begging to be discovered.

I might have my head up my assignment about this approach, but I feel it suits the faction. The turn their noses up at the Elder Council, and tradition, and at all the parts of Elven society that is "holding them back from their true raw potential". Classic new splinter group behavior: acting like a teenager who just got his first taste of freedom, but don't have wisdom guiding his decisions.
>>
>>47624068
I think the issue at hand is that the implication of Intolerance are exceptionally broad; it covers everything from White Man's Burden to straight-up promoting genocide, with the level of extremism being either determined by other disadvantages or simply the decision of the player (or GM, as in the case).

I think some context would be exceptionally helpful in fine-tuning the character. How does the rest of the world react to this demonist sect? Are they regarded as legitimately dangerous radicals or infantile edgelords? Are demonologist elves shunned, persecuted, or actively hunted down and slain by every decent elf (or, for that matter, a member of any race)? I'm operating on the assumption that they're considered 100% evil and legitimately dangerous to the point that they're killed on sight, which doesn't sound accurate based on what you just said; they now seem more like a radical group or movement that is tolerated, if only barely, and may even have some legitimate social power despite their outlier status.

Also, what exactly constitutes the freeing of demons? Again, I was assuming a worst-case-scenario with their endgame being the forces of hell rampaging across the mortal plane, but if the sect promoting their freedom can openly exist, they either aren't nearly as apocalyptic in their goals OR no one takes them seriously OR the demons in your setting are different than what I'm imagining.
>>
>>47624315
>I have not had the same number of cups of coffee as you yet, you eloquent motherfucker

The elves on a whole are undying aloof near-immortals. They've got long traditions of living in harmony with the land, and literally have a spiritual bond with it; they're physiologically dependent on Mana now. So, coupled with this, their society has developed into a pseudo religious reverence of the lands and distaste of disturbing the natural order. Because if big powers were used too haphazardly, bad things could happen.

And then 200 years ago, a cabal of mages working clandestinely with the human and dwarven kingdoms set off a magical nuke and fucked up a good chunk of the world.

This had a few immediate repercussions; the elves collectively went "oh shit what did we do" and mass-migrated back into their own wooded kingdom. The high elder decreed they should not live with men and dwarves anymore, and a goodly amount of elves simply picked up and left.
naturally, as well, the younger progressive generation who saw a bunch of their countrymen and brothers die in a war, which ended suddenly and incredibly dramatically, now had nothing to rally against. They recoiled against the elders, demanded to know whats what, and sought answers for themselves when the Elders told them nothing 'for their own good'. This developed into the demonic sect; seekers of information drawn to infernal answers. Easily tempt-able souls.

So now, this 'hidden cult' of demon worshipers is getting out into the world, acting on long plans, working to do the bidding of their dark masters. Theyre taking advantage of the current wartime, and will naturally encounter the party as all roads are leading to Rome,( or in this case, into the magically shattered dead kingdom riddled with lost artifacts of the last age, and hidden tombs of sealed away demon princes.)
>>
>>47625021
So, with this new paradigm of the elven lands, the elves are still puss foots on the grand scale. They can't bring themselves to quell the dissent directly,so the splinter groups are left to fester and proper ate, spread their message, and corrupt the populace. Revolution is quiet and bloodless so far, and self-empowered demon worshipers seem like a fresh spin to take after the council of ineffective Lords couldn't stop the war themselves.(and the rumor that the demonologists DID end the war really curries them favor)
>>
Is there some way to simulate someone who is shit at fighting but survives because he is insanely lucky other than the luck advantage?
>>
>>47625216
Serendipity as well.
And destiny
And blessed

Does he have post combat shakes?
>>
>>47625236
Well, I guess he could have the shakes if it means anything. Why? Also, thanks for the suggestions
>>
>>47625216
Tons of dodge if it is all about survival, but you fluff it as missing instead. Danger Sense to get warnings of unexpected attacks from unexpected angles that might let him intuitively dodge a back attack as if 360 vision with a small penalty and an IQ roll.
The Flesh Wound rule costs 1 character point to dictate that any *injury* is reduced to 1 HP. Using the rules for building an impulse buy pool, it probably costs 5 character points to permanently be able to always shrug off one wound a session... with 10 levels of that advantage, you could reduce tens of HP of damage to exactly 10 hp. Seems weirdly cheap though. I think the refresh rate is not immediate... ah you only recover 1 point a session unless you pay 10 character points for the ability to regen faster...

So altogether 10 "flesh wound" points that completely regenerate between each session would cost 140 character points.
>>
>>47625172
>>47625021
So a group of poetical firebrands that want to oust the current passive governing body? They're open about their dealings with demons, but aren't opposed due to the fear of widening the schism. Further, they have yet to do anything actually illegal; rather, the demonists are in fact *gaining* political ground due to extreme dissatisfaction with the current government despite their ties to demons.

That answers most of my questions, but I have a few more. The biggest on is "is the sect putting a spin on demons?" No matter how bad things get, siding with Ultimate Evil won't get you too many allies. I'm guessing either the sect is claiming they control the demons rather than the other way around, or they are passing off demons as spirits of chaos/change/revolution rather than evil, but I'd like some clarification. The other question is "does DA know about her organization's ultimate goals?" It's one thing to go "IMMA DEMONOLOGIST NEENER NEENER NEENER YOU DRY OLD FARTS," and another thing entirely to be actively pursuing the likely unpleasant goals of ancient powerful demons. She may still warrant a Secret, not that she is a demonologist, but that the demonist sect has hidden goals many do not know about, even among their supporters.
>>
File: 34od853.jpg (54 KB, 850x1134) Image search: [Google]
34od853.jpg
54 KB, 850x1134
>>47625578
They're certainly relying on spin and obscurity to gain support; the 'great spirits' were released after the cataclysm, and now they seek to help empower the elves, as the elders were so FOOLISH and WEAK to not seek their aid until now! Etc.etc. hyperbole, propaganda.

Preying on fear and uncertainty to gain support.
>>
I want to stat an ability that gives the target Hemophilia and cause them to start bleeding. The first part is just an affliction, but I'm not sure how to do the second part. Is there a better way than linking the Affliction to an Impaling Attack that does 1 damage and has Cosmic: No Die Roll Required, Cosmic: Irresistible Attack, and Cosmic: No Active Defense Allowed?
>>
>>47625753
Might be cheaper to use small piercing, ignores dr, no wounding. As a follow up, I thought it was an automatic success if the original ability succeeded?
>>
>>47625720
Ah so a little bit of both? Very nice. Either way, the character should probably have Secret to represent her being well aware of the true nature of her sect and their goals, which I'm guessing she is, going by her Vow.
>>
I can't find the mechanical benefits of using "freezing" fatigue loss in the basic set. It says to look in chapter 14, but it just talks about how to deal with exposure to the elements.

What I'm looking for is the difference between Innate Attack (Freezing Fatigue) 2d and Innate Attack (Fatigue) 2d
>>
>>47627315
The difference is how it's recovered; FP lost to a normal FP-draining attack recover as normal i.e. 1 FP per 10 minutes of rest, but FP lost to a Freezing attack has the added requirement of the rest being in a warm place with fire, a blanket, and probably something toasty to eat too.
>>
>>47627424
Thanks, buddy. Have a page reference for that, by the way?
>>
Is it possible to zoom in on GCS?
>>
Do you ever trim down the skill list, or do you just leave it as is?

I don't mean removing magic skills when you aren't using magic,
I mean removing similar skills, like Holdout (hiding things on your person) and Smuggling (hiding things not on your person), for example.
>>
>>47627816
Nope. I don't like tinkering with that list.
>>
>>47627549
At the absolute end of page BS104, under Hazard:
>Treat FP lost to the attack identically to FP lost to the relevant hazard for *all* purposes, notably recovery (see Chapter 14).
Chapter 14 has this to say about recovering FP lost to cold (p. BS430).
>Recovery of FP or HP lost to cold requires adequate shelter and a heat source (flame, electric heat, body warmth, etc.).
>>
>>47627706
As far as I know, no.
>>
>>47627816
If I ever feel like the list is getting too long or unwieldy for the sort of game I'm going for, I just bite the bullet and use wildcard skills.
>>
>>47627855
Yes! That was what I needed, dunno how I missed the second part the first time.
>>
>>47627933
Glad to help Anon.
>>
>>47627867
Goddamn it
>>
>>47627981
The only way I can think to kinda do it is the options let you change the font size... but there is font size for several different categories.
>>
File: sgbHkWS.jpg (167 KB, 954x836) Image search: [Google]
sgbHkWS.jpg
167 KB, 954x836
I want to run a game set in the Old West, will the 3e GURPS Old West book be useful to me if I'm using the 4th edition rules? How different are the two editions from one another, and is there an official rule for converting from 3rd to 4th?
>>
File: Long Huang-jin.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Long Huang-jin.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Thoughts?
>>
>>47629284
Can't post the pdf (copyright claim bs), but, yes, there is one that helps you convert between editions.
>>
>>47629284
You mostly need Old West book for its fluff. If you want some crunch and items, you can get them in High-Tech (there is also a HT: Adventure Guns splatbook with XIX century firearms), though there is also some useful information in Tactical Shooting, Gun Fu and Pyramid 3-74
>>
File: Deloth-Ainur.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Deloth-Ainur.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>47625720
>>47627286
Updated; hows she looks now?
>cut intolerance, added lecherousness (high CR)
>modded DR to ablatative with switchable, and added high regen(dr only)
>cut down talons just to sharp claws
>swapped Trained by a Master for Weapon Master(Karate)
>added various missing skills, some more flavorful ones (sexy AND violent)
>>
>>47629287
1.You choose one native language, not three. Usually
2. Where all your advantages?
3. Based on the number of DX based skills and their investments, cut one level from each and just buy up DX one, yo.
>>
>>47629909
What did you do to expand the width of the page?
>>
>>47630063
No clue? Saved it natively as a pdf, using save as? You exporting/printing to PDF instead?
>>
>>47630050
She's from a country that has two native languages, mandarin and japanese. The English one, the GM gave us for free.

The GM said he's going to give us our advantages based on our backstory

Good thinking, thanks!
>>
>>47630089
I'm saving as PDF
>>
>>47630137

Only one language comes free, unless the GM says otherwise. If you were raised bilingual, you still pay full cost for one language.
>>
4e mecha when?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (178 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
178 KB, 1280x720
>>47631541
Just have a campaign with these that can be fully customized and modified to player liking.
>>
>>47631942
>>47631541
My favorite game was a diesel mecha game; set in a weird America after a catastrophic ww1. Players were street dregs from the Nation of Hollywoodland, paid for their expendability, strapped into hotrod bipedal jet engine powered insanity. 50/-50 characters. Super crazy dynamic.

Every week they gave survey responses the upper powers ignored, and they tested super highly lethal weapons while being penalised for inaccuracy and collateral damage
>>
File: image(2).jpg (97 KB, 720x690) Image search: [Google]
image(2).jpg
97 KB, 720x690
>Planning to play with my mum, little bro, and sis.
>mum is fan of high fantasy, so I'll play a notch above Tolkien or some shit.
>talking to her about her character
>Elf as expected
>Browsing through master list to give her an idea.
>Sees philosophy, physics, etc.
>Wants to use philosophy as a sort of catchall. (Use it to solve problems related to different skills)
>had to break it down, but I don't even know where to apply it in any setting...
>Cri

Wish me luck boys
>>
>>47633773
The fuck you on about? Your description dies halfway to a climax
>>
>>47633863
This is what happens when you post while jerking off.
>>
>>47634319
HEYOO
>>
>>47634319
Personally I can't keep from jerking off while posting about my mom
>>
>>47634443
>Roll Erotic art @ -4, for situational penalties
>>
>>47634481
>jerking off without the off-hand training perk.
>TL8
>>
>>47634740
How do you stat situation when you are normally right-handed but jerking with left hand is more comfortable?
>>
>>47635092
You've obviously started buying off the penalty. Maybe talk to your gm about investing in ambidexterity for less rules interactions?

Either that, or just pick up the technique.
>>
>>47617881
What's the paper type you used in your print setting?
>>
>>47635092
I'd stat it as a perk
>Ambidexterity: Limitation - Only while masturbating (1 point)
>>
>>47635133
Letter? Man I dunno why yours is so fucked up. Maybe it's tied to the native resolution of your display. Maybe it's the font display. Maybe you just have fucking gremlins.
>>
>>47607401
I don't know if The Last Gasp would be be irrelevant to a caster. After all, if you use action points, moving and defending still take action points, and concentration does not regenerate any. If you're going for some higher realism and lethality, you're probably going to spend a lot of time repositioning. Being the target of an attack already sucks pretty bad as a caster, I can't imagine it being any better if you start going on an action point debt.

And the more granular fatigue loss rules also penalize a caster's IQ and DX, you can't go around casting spells every turn or every other turn if it means accruing sizeable penalties to casting rolls and defense rolls. (I would disallow Energy Reserves, otherwise it becomes an extremely cheap way to be exempted from the rule)

I haven't actually used The Last Gasp myself, I just think the ruleset might not be so favorable to the caster as it seems. Certainly requires further testing (and boy do I want to test it)
>>
>>47635194
I figured it out, I think. Is your orientation set to landscape?
>>
>>47635292
I also forgot about the variant rule in the last gasp to exchange 1FP for 10AP for the purpose of spells, also important to keep in mind.
>>
>>47623438
Would you usually have the players pay points for this, or does it just appear for free on their character sheet? Does it affect their point value at all?
>>
>>47627816
>>47627875
I have wanted to many times to use a concise and sensible full list of wildcard skills or something similar to replace the normal skill list. I play with a lot of new players right now, and I notice the variety in skills is daunting to them, and I agree that some are very nitpicky.
>>
>>47635365
Anything that modifies the total point cost of a pc changes their total; if you lose a hand in play, you're down ten points(?) Compared to the next guy in the party. And when the gm hands out points at the end of a session (or other rewards worth some kind of points) that makes you worth more.

So, if the player earns the dog, and pays for the dog in play, he spends the points and writes it down. If it gets shot in the face and dies, his character is out points. C'est la vie
>>
>>47635423
I think you're supposed to cut down the skill list significantly yourself, as the GM, and present only that, anyways. A lot of the skills are there only so that you don't have to bullshit it in a game where they might be relevant, GURPS doesn't really expect you to (or want you to) use every single rule in there.
>>
>>47635423
I did it for a gurps Fallout game. Blended well with the game style.
>>
>>47635471
That kind of happens naturally; in 4 players they're not gonna invest a point into each of the 300 some odd skills in the book (let alone the techniques, or setting inappropriate skills, or TL defunct skills, etc.)
>>
>>47635506
You are correct, but if your players are 'daunted' by the list, I think a more begginner-friendly list might be necessary. And if any of them asks for another rule, you just throw it in (provided it is appropriate).
>>
>>47635539
Ahhhh. I see you jive; I savvy

Yeah that makes sense.
>>
>>47635292
>>47635356
Anon plz I already want to do that but I swore I would be less detail-oriented game. Still, point taken about the fairness, thanks!
>>
Hey /GURPS/.

Playing my first GURPS game next weekend.

Rules: GURPS 3e.
Setting: 4e Infinite Worlds.
We're a bunch of ISWAT guys from restricted worlds.

I've read through GURPS 4e Lite a few times, that's about the extent of my GURPS Knowledge.

Anyways, he gave us a copy of GCA2.2 that you need w2k to run, and currently I have a virtualbox to run it.

Is there somewhere I can get a less ancient version of the GCA you guys could point me to?
>>
>>47636479
>Rules: GURPS 3e.
Why?
>>
>>47636600
GM Preference?

He said something about 3e supposedly having better psionics, but beyond that I dunno.
>>
>>47636633
Ugh 3e
Whyyyyy

Gcs is a solid freeware creator. Plug GCA4 into the pirate bay and you should also get a few hits for the most recent 4e geenrator
>>
>>47636668
>GCA4, GCS
Those are both for 4e GURPS though, aren't they?
>>
>>47636690
Yes
That was a subtle hint
>>
>>47636633
An edition war, for GURPS? This is news to me. GURPS editions are really improvements over the last, 4e is literally better than 3e.
>>
>>47636733
Were I the GM, I'd be using 4e and cribbing the occasional thing from 3e, but I do not have that option, and I don't really want to GM right now.
>>
>>47636762
That's what I have heard, pretty reliably (aside from GURPS Magic), but the GM prefers 3e so that's what's being used.
>>
>>47636774
Not a huge deal for me. I am unfamiliar with it as a whole. I'll play it as my intro to GURPS, and keep my large PDF Collection of 4e content in mind for when I go to run a game myself.
>>
Ok /gurpsgen/ What would you rather have in real life 40 HT, 20 DX, or 40 ST using the knowing your own strength rules from Pyramid 3/83?
>>
>>47638386
>40 ST using the knowing your own strength rules
This is a bit insane, you know.
>>
>>47638386
20DX so I can make something of my life.
>>
>>47638909
You shouldn't dump your willpower in the first place.
>>
Does anyone have the vehicles book that was made here laying around? I could use it for a military campaign I'm running.
>>
>>47639333
Nice trips.
>>
File: vehicle collection.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
vehicle collection.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>47639333
>>
File: vehicle collection vol 2.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
vehicle collection vol 2.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>47639350
>>
>>47639350
>>47639376
Thanks, much appreciated.
>>
>>47638530
Meh, your BL is 20,000 lbs, your punch damage is 8d-1 cr and you have 40 hp. I'd call that competitive with the other options.
>>
Just for reference, how good Base Speed is?
>>
>>47640525
Sorry, meant "how good Base Speed 6*" is
>>
>>47640533
About average for a 100-200 point character, or a sub-100 that focuses on grace in combat. It's well faster then the average jo, enough so that you should rarely go last facing normal human guards, but achievable with some combination of DX +1/2, HT +1/2 and directly upping Basic Speed.

Basic Speed 6 gives you a dodge of 9, or 10 with Combat Reflexes. This is a good place to aim for if you want to survive GURPS combat as with defensive options this can give you a quite respectable chance to negate an attack that might otherwise splatter you like a strong someone swinging a heavy weapon at you or a gunshot.
>>
>>47638386
40 HT is a little nonsensical, and would give you an extreme lifespan and effectively force someone to tear you apart by dropping you to -5xHP to kill you. Might go with that.
>>
>>47640820
Even something like HT 16 starts making you impossible to kill/k.o. until HPx5. At HT 40 you're incredibly long-lived, will never ever get sick or even poisoned, and you're a speedster with a Basic Speed of 12.5(!!) assuming DX 10.
>>
File: 1444669286302.jpg (150 KB, 736x736) Image search: [Google]
1444669286302.jpg
150 KB, 736x736
Making a character for a frontier fantasy game; wild west crossed with like, final fantasy topography. Flying islands and a shattered world, people surviving on the drifting remnants.

I'm leaning towards a desperate type guy; I'm just hung up on a gimmick. Maybe greedy but a heart of gold? I dunno. I'm looking for simple conflict, nothing edgy.

Suggestions?
>>
>>47644464
All or nothing gambler in all aspects of life.
Compulsive gambling, daredevil, overconfidence, Luck, Compulsive Spending/Gluttony. That calling card disadvantage, you leave a certain number of chips on each body based on what you thought their odds were of winning against you.
>>
>>47644464
Of course you must be a thief with a heart of gold. Every anime has one.
>>
>>47644464
He's owes money to some very angry folks back east, so he's trying to make it out in the frontier. He probably still has whatever vices caused him to hemorrhage money in the first place (Compulsive Gambler, Overconfidence in terms of financial ventures, he got scammed because he was Gullible, or maybe he just drank it all away), but he's dedicated to turning his life around for as long as he can dodge those that come calling for him.
>>
>>47644515
And schtick (can pick all the winning horses in a race, but it's only guaranteed to come true when using it to impress someone; doesn't come true if you buy a ticket using the power, or someone buys a ticket based on your advice)
>>
>>47638386
Can I take 20 IQ instead? To rule the world, you know?
>>
Okay, /gurpsgen/, how would you simulate vampires from Blindsight and play them (as NPCs) in game with all their intellect?
>>
File: 1444674401075.jpg (374 KB, 2000x650) Image search: [Google]
1444674401075.jpg
374 KB, 2000x650
>>47644566
Hmm, I really like this one. Put to make it rich, but he's flawed in the people-kinda way. Needs to pay back some angry folks, and sucks at the traditional methods. On the frontier to make it one way or the other.

Maybe easy to read? Gullible? Honesty?
And then selfless or some other golden flaw.
>>
File: 1464786684072.png (218 KB, 540x518) Image search: [Google]
1464786684072.png
218 KB, 540x518
>>47644636
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blindsight_(Watts_novel)
>What the fuck am I reading?
>>
>>47644708
Good sci-fi novel? It's really good, try it out.
>>
>>47644663
Who the fuck designed this? The handle lines are all fucking retarded, the kick will break your thumb tendons no matter how you hold
>deviant art
Ahhhhh
>>
>>47644636
Use GURPS Aliens to build them.
>>
>>47644913
They aren't that much different from humans. My interest is how to simulate something with four-digit IQ in GURPS.
>>
>>47644950
What actual abilities does that IQ give them? ETS? Absolute timing? Eidetic memory?
>>
>>47644950
B-b-but It's impossible to have a four-digit IQ.....
>>
>>47644950
#3/53 Action has an article called "Fortunately, I Saw This Coming." It expands Gadgeteer to a generic "haha I knew this would happen so I (retroactively) did this in preparation for it!" The example is an NPC betraying the party and stealing a case filled with important documents; a PC used this ability, retroactively knew the betrayal would happen, and switched the case with an identical one filled with worthless papers before the betrayal took place.

That issue also has the "I've Got a Great Idea" article, which may also be useful. If you've even seen Ocean's 11 or similar heist movies, instead of having a boring scene of everyone sitting around a coffee table hashing out the plan, the characters are seen planning in a montage that occurs during the action itself. IGaGI is meant to emulate that, with characters rolling skills during abstract planning time to get an Angle to represent how well they planned and prepped. Angles are spent during play to either make rolls easier, reroll failed checks, or do a bit of scene control in the same vein as Serendipity.

Both of these articles are great for representing characters that are MUCH smarter than the players. You can play a super-genius that can plan for *every* contingency without having to spend 80 real-life hours actually planning for *any* contingency.

IQ 30 or more + a bunch of levels of FISTC's Foresight advantage + IGaGI's planning rules + Enhanced Time Sense (never pressed for time when deciding on an action) + Intuitive Mathematician (you can do any sort of mathematical equation instantly)

>tl;dr
>IQ 30+
>A bunch of level of Foresight from "Fortunately, I Saw This Coming"
>Enhanced Time Sense, so you're never pressed to make a decision
>Use the planning rules from "I've Got a Great Idea"
>>
>>47645282
Well there ya go; neat and tidy supergenius package

Thank you anon!
>>
>>47645282
>IGaGI
>FiSTC
Fuck, you just made me remember why I love GURPS. And I still have so many other optional rules I want to try out in my backlog that I'll never get to because no one wants to play with me even when I offer to GM.
>>
>>47645282
That is what I needed, thanks anon.

>>47645364
I would play with, %%but my spoken English sucks, and I can't understand it if people talk too fast and with many unknown words.%%.
>>
File: Selection_007.png (297 KB, 977x612) Image search: [Google]
Selection_007.png
297 KB, 977x612
What do I use to build realistic mechs for gurps 4e? Gurps Mecha mainly has information on like, super fighting robots. I'm looking for a size similar ti the one on the left, or maybe even closer to the size of the standard military mechs in Code Geass. The mech to thr right iw a mech from armored core. I want the tech level low enough that there isn't energy shields. Plasma and Laser tech might be just emerging.

The setting is such that humanity as a whole fled beneath the surface of earth and now live in the as much hospitable area that there is before it gets too hot. The combat will be mostly underground cityscape combat that is bitter fighting between nation, and private military groups. A lot of the fighting is over the underground train systems that are used to transport supplies and mechs between the underground cities.

This is going to be some hard military/mercenary action. At the start of the campaign I plan on letting each party member pick a standard outfitted mech and a tactical unit that they command. Even though mechs are definitely an important part of the combat I can't imagine a future like this without the warfare being pretty heavily dominated by urban bombs and man held anti-tank projectiles from windows and shit.

I also need to figure out the wages for mercinary henchmen, the cost of ammunition/housing, and the cost of mech maintence and repair, also the texes and fuel of running the train.
>>
>>47644889
Who gives a fuck, /k/. It's cool looking as hell.
>>
>>47645393
I am not american, so I can understand you completely. ctrl+s to spoiler.
>>
>>47645404
>Front Mission
My nigga.
>>
File: extreme disappointment.png (178 KB, 311x306) Image search: [Google]
extreme disappointment.png
178 KB, 311x306
>>47645393
>Playing with mics
>>
>>47645467
Some people don't have any other opportunity, you know.
>>
File: Modular mecha.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Modular mecha.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>47645404
>What do I use to build realistic mechs
Make them ridiculously heavy?

It's fairly straightforward. Determine your target mechs size. Give your statblock that size body.
Give it compartmentalization mind 1 (controls) and 0 IQ

Other than that, check this
>>
>>47645490
What do you mean? They don't have a keyboard to type?
>>
File: 1410536089667.jpg (492 KB, 1130x1600) Image search: [Google]
1410536089667.jpg
492 KB, 1130x1600
>>47645499
One day, I will GM a Knights of Sidonia GURPS game. I fucking swear to god.
>>
>>47645626
God I hated the animation style of that anime. Just could NOT get immersed at all.

However, the core concept works for me. So yes bully to you
>>
>>47645601
Never saw one good text- or forum-based RPG. And GURPS is hard to play with text.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 44

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.