[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /tg/ I posted a few weeks ago about wanting to pick up Warhammer
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (206 KB, 750x1334) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
206 KB, 750x1334
Hey /tg/ I posted a few weeks ago about wanting to pick up Warhammer 40k after falling in love with the lore. After a flood of "don't fucking do it" I did it anyway and got a set with 3 ultramarines and paints for like $20. Here's my first go at painting, first two were like the one on the right and the one on the left is an experiment I did to making the armor look weathered. Just wondering what y'all's favorite thing to paint was/suggestions for a beginner.
>>
File: image.jpg (186 KB, 750x1334) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
186 KB, 750x1334
Here's the back
>>
For your first 2 minis, the left one isn't terrible!

When painting white, like on the shoulder pad, base with grey first, which will cover the blue better than the while will, and the white will cover the grey better than it did the blue
>>
>>47548778
Awesome thank you! That's something I was wondering!
>>
>>47548663
>>47548687

One on the left isn't bad. You did a good job weathering. Do you also have a wash?

Anyway, a good bit of advice is to assemble the mini in stages so you have an easier time painting hard-to-reach areas like between the back and backpack or in under the arms. Otherwise, nice first step.
>>
>>47548877
Showing how new I am right now, what's a wash?
>>
>>47549099
Its a very thin paint that is the consistency of water color paint. You use it to fill in the nooks and crannies of the model as well as have an extremely thin layer of paint to the model to give it a slight effect without overwhelming the coat underneath. They make models very easy to bring up to tabletop standards and add to models to be showpieces.
>>
>>47549166

Make sure you highlight some of the areas of your model with paint after the wash dries. It can make a model look messy by leaving a wash un-highlighted. Wash works better as a step sandwiched after prime and paint, and before highlight and weathering.
>>
>>47549166
>>47549247
Absolutely do this, it can darken areas of your model and make it look messy as stated above. It also will make dark spots very dark which can screw with the look of the model, namely areas that would likely be brighter in natural light.
>>
>>47548663
Watch painting tutorials, learn techniques. Watch videos specific to a model + scheme you are about to paint.
Thin your paints. Get a bottle of Vallejo, thats your target consistency.

If you live in a place with high particulates or hard water, dont use it to thin. Use distilled water if you can.

Buy Winsor & Newton Series 7 brushes. Affordable sable that will drastically affect your painting. Get paint on the tip of the brush only, or you'll ruin it very fast.

Buy a kit, paint it. Dont buy 5 kits at once.

Have fun and focus on improving. Good job on the left Ultramarine. The right one has thick paint.
>>
>>47548663
Doesn't look too bad to me! A lot better than some first tries I've seen.

Question, what army are you going to start up? If Space Marines, are you going to stick with Ultramarines, or choose a different, more fun, and better chapter?
>>
>>47548663
Honestly the weathered armor looks really good to me, I think it went a degree too far. Tone it down and that's great for a beginner.
>>
>>47549374
Thanks! I'm crazy about the way Orks look and I think they'd be a lot of fun to paint, not sure which paints are best though and I'm sure as fuck not buying the $100 set. As far as starting up armies, im actually in it pretty much exclusively for the painting and the lore, although I might get into the game later (I'm shit at strategy).
>>
>>47549166
Yeah man, I used agrax earthshade for the left marine
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.