[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Between Paizo's "playtests" for Pathfinder, Wizards
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: 1463886567430.png (746 KB, 500x751) Image search: [Google]
1463886567430.png
746 KB, 500x751
Between Paizo's "playtests" for Pathfinder, Wizards of the Coast's "playtests" for 5e, and White Wolf/Onyx Path's "playtests" for their game lines, do any major game developers use their playtests for actually getting feedback on what to fix about a game, rather than ignore all criticism and use the "playtests" just to build up hype?
>>
>>47534060
D&D Next demonstrably changed from playtest feedback from version to version until it became 5e proper. Even now with Unearthed Arcana it changes regularly, such as prestige classes being dropped after one attempt, the first ranger attempt being scrapped, and the psionics playtest being updated to be more versatile. 5e is probably the most built-by-public-opinion tabletop RPG in existence.

Your problem is that you expect the majority of playtesters to agree with your point of view. They don't, so you decide to believe that the developers don't use any feedback. There's a name for that type of cognitive bias, probably.
>>
File: 1459890557121.gif (1 MB, 430x360) Image search: [Google]
1459890557121.gif
1 MB, 430x360
>>47534091
Either cognitive dissonance or confirmation bias is the term you are looking for.

In any case, you're correct. Devs do playtest their games and use the feedback to change facetsof the games. The inherent problem with this process though is the play tester's own biases.
>>
>>47534091
D&D 5e also killed martial dice and cool sorcerer abilities even when lots of people were clamoring for them.
>>
>>47534091
Biggest thing I'm sad about losing from the 5e playtest was the Sorcerer that slowly turned into a monster as you expended spells. It was a really neat idea.
>>
>>47534257
If by "lots of people" you mean "you remember a dozen or so posts about it", then yes. Chances are they got more people against them.

The playtest stuff was very good though, and I hope it comes back in some form.
>>
>>47534287
>Chances are they got more people against them.

Yep. Promising an edition for everyone meant that people from a certain edition who hold very strong, if misguided, opinions about what D&D should or should not be, got a say in things, and backed by numbers meant things were pushed towards their preferred 'ideal'.
>>
>>47534287
Who wanted martial dice to be restricted to one fighter subclass and sorcerers to be way worse wizards?
>>
>>47534307
3.5 players who wanted a reprint of 3.5
>>
>>47534307
Faggots did
>>
I can't even blame WotC, 5e by all indications is doing really well. I do wish it broke more ground instead of playing it safe even though I understand why it would.
>>
>>47534403
Every edition of D&D was more successful than the last.
>>
>>47534269
I agree, but upon seeing the Sorcerer we got i think i like the final sorcerer better. The mutable sorcerer idea, while cool, limited a lot of options for character conceptualization. Not to mention that it doesnt interact as well with some races, like Dragonborn. And it had a low setting miscibility.

Its a good idea for a prestige class or a possible future archetype, but it was not as much of a good idea as it seemed at first to represent the core default Sorcerer.
>>
>>47538359
The PHB sorcerer is a shittier wizard with a way worse spell list.

Sorcery points aren't even that good.
>>
>>47538424

Sorcery points are great if you're going all out and just focused on blasting someone to death.

It's just that you don't get a whole lot in the earlier levels.
>>
>>47538489
>just focused on blasting someone to death

This is the only thing sorcerers can do well, and at that point, why not just be a dumb fighter or something?

Or at least a sorclock.
>>
>>47538727

Because sometimes, being able to misty step behind a dude and gank him with shocking grasp is just too entertaining to pass up.

That and there's more things resistant/immune to physical damage than there are things that are resistant/immune to magical damage.
>>
>>47534091
/Thread
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.