[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What system should I use to run a game that's basically
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: mouse1_s.jpg (41 KB, 555x400) Image search: [Google]
mouse1_s.jpg
41 KB, 555x400
What system should I use to run a game that's basically Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser style "murdering the fuck out of nightmarish monsters back to back like best bros do" adventure?

Something OSR is a possibility, but as much as I love it, I don't really like Vancian magic all that much, at least for this kind of thing. I want magic to be strange and mysterious, and something players are reluctant to use.

I actually thought about taking Call of Cthulhu, setting it in a fantasy medieval setting, making the characters tougher, and replacing the skills with ones more suitable to the setting. Would that work well?

For the tone of what I'm thinking, think about the FatGM stories Thieves' House, The Bleak Shore, The Seven Black Priests, and Claws from the Night (can you tell I read Swords Against Death most recently?).

Any ideas?
>>
>>47516648
I'm just gonna say Barbarians of Lemuria. Not because I think what it's what you're looking for but because I can't help you in any way other than just bumping your thread since it's almost gone.
>>
>>47516648
DCC RPG because they're releasing a Lankhmar box set with modifications to the rules to make it more Lankhmar-y. (standard DCC Magic is already pretty dangerous and Spellburn + Patrons means it's highly likely for magic-users to become monstrous)

Otherwise i'd probably say Crypts & Things (Remastered version coming up) or Savage Worlds: Lankhmar.
>>
>>47516648
If you really want to drive home the nighmarishness of the monsters i'd say exalted. One of the best games for super powerful monster stuff. Though at this point only core is out so it requires more homebrew work
>>
>>47516648
Having actually read Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser, an OSR retro-clone definitely seems like the best idea. I mean, this is probably second or third on the list of DnD inspirations that founded the hobby right after the pinnacle of Conan.

I'll second DCC RPG, >>47517650
>>
>something that actually would be way less retarded thing to run on D&D than thousand other things people actually DO run on D&D
>You still ask for a better system for that
Dude I love you.
Hobby would be in so much better state if most people thouht like that
>>
>>47518590
If everyone did that we'd just have a whole lot of broken-ass systems being theorycrafted, which almost no one actually plays due to lack of GMs.
>every game is suddenly Shadowrun where every new class has a speshul snowflake subsystem for "realism"
>>
>>47518719
Don't start a fight with him, let him keep his unfounded beliefs for one thread.
>>
>>47518719
Even if it would spawn ton of shit games, nobody would play them, so where's the problem?
And people would start tu use plenty of GOOD systems that are out there already, they wouldn't suddenly dissapear because of that, instead of D&Dshit
>>
>>47516648
>I actually thought about taking Call of Cthulhu, setting it in a fantasy medieval setting, making the characters tougher, and replacing the skills with ones more suitable to the setting.
You do know that the Call of Cthulhu system is part of the BRP family, which originated with RuneQuest, a fantasy RPG, right? RuneQuest tends to be a bit involved for my taste (separate hit points for each limb, etc.), but it's the same basic system. BRP is a generisized, somewhat streamlined version of the system. OpenQuest is a somewhat streamlined, house-ruled version of that. Stormbringer is BRP in the world of Elric, and has some of its darker, bleaker tone (and cool chaos demons and such). Fantasy World is basically Stormbringer with the Elric setting removed. Call of Cthulhu is, of course, BRP with Lovecraft.

>>47517476
I don't know if it's what he's looking for, but Barbarians of Lemuria seems like a pretty good fit to me for a swords and sorcery campaign where magic is less routine and procedural.
>>
>>47516648
Scarlet Heroes, an OSR for solo or duo play.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.