[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tips for first time players.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: tried nothing.jpg (38 KB, 512x372) Image search: [Google]
tried nothing.jpg
38 KB, 512x372
I'm about to play a game pretty soon, and I wanted to be sure that I don't become That Guy.

What should I look for? Also, it's online and I suck at talking over the microphone since there's not as many visual cues. How do I know when it's my turn to talk?
>>
>>47494473
Bump.
>>
>>47494473
Talk to your gm
Not us
Him
>>
>>47494723
Alright, that sounds pretty sound.
>>
>>47494473
Just talk. Make sure you don't interupt people who are already talking. If you have a joke but it would just be an interuption to spit it out, type it out instead. If aomeone else is in the spotlight, talking to the mayor dor instance, type out what your character is doing if you dont feel like standing there nodding along.
>Blah blah city
>Blah blah blah banditos¿
>(you) _Jormund Fireheart, bored with a discussion he can't follow, walks over to a window to observe the town.
It may seem dumb, but at least you're soing aomething and it paves the way for other shit to happen. Another play may come over and begin discussing something with you through text, or the dm may break off and say you see something plot-related.

Remember, GM is the game MASTER, but games do have rules for a reason. If a disagreement in the rules comes up, mention it and then accept whatever the gm says. If it still bothers you or the gm is flat out wrong, bring it up after the game privately to them. At that point they may still stand by their decision or maybe not. Either way it's infinitely better than putting them on the apot in front of other players.
>>
>>47494844
Christ typing on the phone is painful. 4chan lags on text for some reason.

Figure out a way to privately communicate early. Youre gonna want to do it eventually, and youre probably not gonna want others to know youre doing it, so asking how to do it when you want to do it would defeat the purpose.
Remember that it is a group effort, and if someone isnt having fun then you all have fucked up. Remember that you are part of the group as well and deserve to have fun.
Dont get too attached to your character at first. Whether youre new to the game or not youre obviously new to this group. Test the waters first, see if its going to be a high lethality game- whether from malicious gm, malicious players, or retarded players getting you killed as well.

At this point Im rambling into general advice. Anything specific?
>>
>>47494931
Nothing really specific, but all this helped a lot.

I think my biggest issue is interrupting, so I'll work on that.

When is it acceptable to go against the party? Not as in edgy steal from them or kill them, but to actively push the goal in another direction or something to that effect? Like a disagreement.

Also, when is it acceptable to break into OOC? I understand that as little as possible is probably the best, but are there some things in specific I should go over with them before we start?
>>
>>47494473

If you're worried about being That Guy, you're on the right track to avoiding that behaviour.

I can't speak for mic chat, but as a player it pays to be involved. Stay in tune with in-character chatter, ask questions about your surroundings (or to other players), and try to ensure your character has some investment with the party. Loney McWolf characters get tedious for a reason.

ProJared has a great video on the subject of "Being A Good Player", I'd highly recommend it for a beginner.
>>
>>47496265
I'll look it up. I appreciate it.
>>
>>47496179
Thats another thing typing is great for, OOC. Mainly this depends on your group though. How deep into rp and character every group gets into depends completely on the group.

As for directing the party... Thats a tricky fish. There is a lot to factor in here. My thoughts arent super ordered so Im going to list things I keep in mind when debating about trying to do somethong other plays might object to.
>Muh integrity.
I design characters and then build a class to meet it, so staying true to my character is pretty important to me.
>Muh group
No group means no game, so I need to try to avoid pissing them off. A good way for me to reconcile this point and the lastpint is to not make a charavter who won't fit in. I may be itching to play my archaeologist, but if my group is hell bent on playing mercenaries then Ill just shelf that charavter for now.
>My story progression
Group enjoyment is the priority, but the gm needs to stay invested as well or the game will deteriorate or just implode altogether. If my gm is getting exasperated with group antics and trying to move the game along and I can see this I will pitch in to try and get us moving in the story, even if the rest of the players are busy having shenanigans.
>Muh cat herding
Normally this is the job of the gm, but again expecting one person to do it all is unfair. This is where thinga get kind of tricky, especially as a new guy. If Bob the murderhobo keeps trying to be a murderhobo at innappropriate times then it makes sense for you, in character, to wrangle his ass. Make him stay outside the town with your wagon of goods if need be. You need to strike a balance between cutting other PCs slack because they are players, and not letting them do whatever they want.
>>
>>47497132
>Muh... uh... "stop being a dick"
If there is a PC who just refuses to work well with the group... Cut'em loose. Again, tricky, especially because youre the new guy, but if 4/5 of the party are various shades of heroic and the fifth guy is a resentful bastard who doesnt mesh with the group, ask the group "why do we let thia guy stick around?"

Thats just my thoughts. If youre clever you can look at it from the other side and apply it to yourself. Dont be the lone wolf, work with the group, dont be the odd guy out who has no reason to travel with these people, etc.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.