[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
GURPS General - /gurpsgen/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 46
File: 1455288553805.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
1455288553805.pdf
1 B, 486x500
So /gurpsgen/ I'm thinking about running a GoT/SoIaF game that's partially intended to introduce some new players to detailed harshly realistic GURPS combat.

Any advice?
>>
>>47466804

Savage violence is a pretty damn solid way to play GURPS. I'd suggest 150 points with a generous 70 point disadvantage limit, but make them take at least one powerful enemy in common that could kill the fuck out of them if they are careless or stupid or unlucky.

Show them a few simple templates, like Big Strong Brute, noble swordsman, clever lady with sword, and doorstop.
>>
>>47466804
GURPS dose single duels pretty damn well. Throw them into one early to give a combat tutorial and some brutal fucking violence.
>>
How would you stat the ability to return to an earlier point in your life, like loading/saving in a video game? Basically:

>upon saving, you create a set point in time and space that you can return to later
>upon loading, you return to that point in time and space, with the same items you had when you saved, but retaining your current set of memories
>you can only ever have one save file
>no one else "remembers" anything from the future, unless they have temporal inertia
>dying does not automatically return you to your save point, unless you have at least one extra life

Is it some form of Warp or Jumper? If it's a completely new advantage, how would you balance it?
>>
>>47467656
>How would you stat the ability to return to an earlier point in your life, like loading/saving in a video game? Basically:

there's a pyramid for that. One of the Alternate something or others, in the last section. I'll do a search when I've got time.
>>
>>47467656
What about the other party members?
>>
If you shoot a really big creature with a human scale weapon that it cannot hear (such as bow with or without bowstring silencers), will it typically notice being attacked?
>>
>>47467656
>>47467828
Did someone call?

Rules on page 5.
>>
>>47468391
Let's try that again
>>
>>47468412
>>47468391
Fuck it. Time for ye olde Mediafire.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/zvqn41z1xtbfk2t/GURPS+4th+-+Dungeon+Fantasy+Video+Game.pdf
>>
>>47466804
Honestly I haven't read or watched too much but from what I picked up via osmosis, just be fair but brutal in how you do combat. Read up thoroughly on grapples and trips and don't be afraid of killing them off. Establish a bit of a revolving door for your players so even if they do die mid session, they won't be left out for long.

Pick a good chuck of advantages that you suggest that if they don't take, they do so at their own peril and takes a lot of guesswork out, making chargen fast.
Mix it up even within the same encounter, 3 guys with swords but 4 bowmen in the woods who are crack shots. Maybe a dude whose job it is to wait for mid battle to run up behind and start stabbing at their blindspots.
>>
>>47468316
If you fail to defeat it's DR then you could make a case that it could fail to notice. A touch-perception test would be a way to handle it. If you deal damage to anything that isn't numb, yeah, it notices.
>>
File: Cheatsheet.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Cheatsheet.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>47466804
A smattering of martial arts will help. There's plenty of techniques and expanded combat maneuvers in there. Very useful.
>>
File: 1460818111419.jpg (426 KB, 750x1000) Image search: [Google]
1460818111419.jpg
426 KB, 750x1000
Running GrimWyrd tomorrow; the party is being sent to recover the Ansible of Spirits; a magic nuke from the last war that went missing promptly after it was used to sunder the evil empire

What could possibly go wrong?
>>
>>47470450
Some terrorists want to "recover" this thing as well for their own needs.
>>
>>47470973
Of course! Perhaps, the original creaors were shunned by their nation and king; the use of the weapon was horrific, and after its use, they were persecuted for their pursuit of power!

So in the time since, sympathisers of the cause have come to support the shunned patrons. Perhaps even in their furor elevating them to more than celebrity, but to deification?
>>
>>47470450
Maybe the people that want the nuke recovered want to do bad things with it?
>>
>>47471129
Oooh moral quandaries?
Why, to what altruistic purpose could the magic nuke be put to?
>>
>>47470450
I'd also consider a crazy Ivan safeguard. People can't take your Nuke if it goes off when removed =D
>>
File: 1014ef.jpg (46 KB, 500x625) Image search: [Google]
1014ef.jpg
46 KB, 500x625
Soooo did we ever get a consensus on how to make this guy happen?

Was it a ghostly body with a vulnerable sword hit location, and that body can wear armor?

Or was it a suit of armor with no head, but a vulnerable sword location that could be wounded?

Or something else?
>>
File: SwordsMan.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
SwordsMan.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>47471588
I made this!
>>
ok im a total nebie in gurps. i only read the base set for 4e. what is the best place to download the other books?
>>
>>47473256
Check the OP; there usually a link

What kinda game you wanna run?
>>
>>47468959
I mean, it all kinda depends on how big it is and how much damage you do. For example, I often notice a minor pinprick here and there as I brush up against something a bit sharp or scratchy, but I rarely care enough to go looking for the source unless it's a constant pain. I can easily see some massive beast getting pegged for a few points of damage and just not caring, because that amount of damage/pain is on par with a human suffering a light scratch.

Hell, I've even failed to notice suffering scratches deep enough to bleed, so I'd even argue that it's possible for the monster to just not notice a few points of damage at all, depending on the situation.
>>
>>47474598
Good analogy. I'm sure if you hit them with poison during his they won't realize why they feel sooooo wooooozy
>>
>>47474598
Sounds like the difference between a successful and a failed PER roll.

Off the top of my head, any injury of at least HP/10 is automatically noticed unless some other effect is interfering (drugs, Berserk, etc.). For lesser values, including cosmetic damage, no-injury attacks, and damage that fails to penetrate DR, roll Perception + Acute Touch + (Damage/HP); + Damage alone would be simpler, but scaling it with HP lets truly colossal kaiju-esque monsters fail to notice pistol fire. I'd apply something similar to the +10 to vision for targets in plain sight; if you're not really doing anything, even the lightest cuts and scrapes will be noticed, but if you're under a lot of stress or tactile stimulation, the sensation from a tiny would will likely get lost in the mix. For example, if you cut yourself while preparing dinner, you'll probably notice, but you may not register a dozen tiny cuts form thorns when fleeing through an alien jungle whilst being pursued by all sorts of ravenous beasties (which can be bad if said thorns are poisonous!)
>>
>>47472062
Congratulations. The sheer speed on that response just made a shitty afternoon less shitty. I love Gurps sometimes.
>>
>>47466880
>clever lady with trident
There. FTFY
>>
>>47475669
You're welcome

I liked how the body is still human shaped and capable of doing things, but is wearing sweet armor and such. That helped to build it easily

Also, Wounded was a nice workaround I felt, for the sword face. It may need a dr value for the hit location, but I like the glaring weak spot as is.
>>
I remember a few weeks ago an anon was asking and posted a build of a fairy monster/npc that could make you believe you were being severely injured without actually doing squat, and the build went in for about 100 points. If anyone has it, can you guys post it?
>>
>>47476479
Oh Shit that would be cool
>>
Can somebody help me understand how an ambush would happen? I had one the previous session and I think I really botched it.
>>
File: surprise.png (145 KB, 587x580) Image search: [Google]
surprise.png
145 KB, 587x580
>>47477134
B393

Assuming the party gets ambushed, and completely surprised, they freeze (mental stun) for 1d seconds
>Combat reflexes says they dont freeze
Players can roll to recover AFTER this duration
>>
>>47477275
I read that part of the book. In my case, it was partial surprise, but I think I botched it somehow. The outcome didn't feel right.
>>
>>47477361
What happened? Someone get stun locked?
>>
>>47477404
Well, it went like this. They got a partial heads-up due to a good Per roll . Since they were expecting shit to happen, I treated as partial surprise.

They were being ambushed by a small horde of goblins. The process I did according to what I understood from the rules was the following. I rolled against the goblins' IQ as a whole. Since the party didn't have any leader, I rolled against their IQ individually. One of them succeeded, the other failed and I rolled a 6 for the number of turns the guy was stunned.

Did I handle it right?
>>
>>47470450

Dwarf Fortress, MY NAME IS HUEG, Other Dwarf Fortress, THE SORCERER SUPREME and Mute Elf Wut Do shall save the day!

Or at least kill a whole bunch of people. I could honestly see it going either way.
>>
>>47477821
The way I do it is usually by skipping tactics and leadership etc.
Each player gets a chance to perceive the ambushers. Usually just a perception roll versus the worst stealth/camouflage on the enemy's side.
Anyone who passed can drop initiative into the ensuing combat
Anyone who failed is mentally stunned. Once they succeed against stunning they can join in.

Simpler, and a lot more individual tasking instead of the party average bullshit.
>>
>>47478053
Hahaha what the hell is your party?
>>
File: 1454178422784.png (313 KB, 684x1141) Image search: [Google]
1454178422784.png
313 KB, 684x1141
>>
>>47478176
A huge half-human beast that uses a sword. Brawler, close combat type.

Wise and powerful wizard and alchamist. Old guy.

Two dwarven militiamen that carry powerful guns and backup melee weapons. Tough as old leather, use crew-serviced light cannon too.

And new to the party, an elf that understands but hasn't spoken any of the same lanauge as the rest of the party. Archer with magic power.
>>
>>47479016
Awesome; you guys running around without healing? Or is the alchemist doing that for you somehow? Potions?

(Or just whiskey regeneration for the dwarves?)
>>
>>47479016
Why not attach the backup weapons TO the powerful guns?
>>
>>47479046
The sorcerer is a doctor by trade, he can do healing and is interested in evil magic plagues the bad guys seem to suffer from.

The beastman can do pretty well without healing though. Regeneration, though only enough to heal after fights, not during them.

>>47479564
Given some time I could imagine them going to quad barred guns with axe-bayonets.
>>
File: rape chair.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
rape chair.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Here's the character I just help one of my players make for infinite worlds, tell me what you think.
>>
>>47480504
>it's a literal chair
Why?
>>
File: xfiqCir.jpg (78 KB, 832x584) Image search: [Google]
xfiqCir.jpg
78 KB, 832x584
>>47480504
>Compulsive rapinng
>>
>>47480504
Campaign update. Chair made its first compulsive rape roll. The party is safe for now.
>>
>>47481490
How does the chair even moves around?
>>
>>47481529
What do you think the other party members are for?
>>
>>47481529
It didn't buy a different movement mode. So its 'valid'.

Technically it should be a quadruped
>>
>>47481529
It just fucking hops around, leaving a trail of dead plant matter in it's wake.
>>
>>47466880
>>47467205
>>47468519
>>47469597

Thanks for the replies Anons. I'm unsure just were to set this game within the game of thrones setting. Two things to immediately come to mind are the nights watch and some sort of eastern mercenary band thing like the Second Sons. Two very different fighting environments with two very different social implications.

Any advice or other scenarios I'm forgetting about?
>>
>>47481771
Not everything requires combat
But
To be defenseless is a fools gambit
>>
>>47481789
Should I tell my players that or are you saying every NPC should secretly be armed just encase my players try something?
>>
>>47481490
Campaign update: chair has emerged from the shadows to rape an unconscious bugbear that the party defeated. His cover has been blown.
>>
>>47481861
Tell your players. There's a temptation to abandon combat altogether if you aren't going to specialize in it, but at least being able to kill someone with a dagger if you catch them off guard requires little skill and can be vital.

NPCs that aren't foolish, overconfident or innocent should expect violence and betrayal might happen and have precautions.

As for scenarios;

Night's Watch is a solid choice for light political and heavy combat. You can still involve them in politics of course.

You could start them as a recruiting mission for the Watch that stumbles onto a conspiracy to wipe out a noble family. With one of the survivors agreeing to join the watch, a few other family members travel with them for protection on the long road north, but one might have their own agenda and ideas about not letting their brother/son take the black.
>>
File: GURPS Maths.jpg (86 KB, 401x523) Image search: [Google]
GURPS Maths.jpg
86 KB, 401x523
>>
File: 1463326827100.png (1 MB, 983x731) Image search: [Google]
1463326827100.png
1 MB, 983x731
>>47483102
The key of politics is giving a reason someone could benefit from a betrayal. When you know that someone's sister doesn't want them to go into the night's watch and can get them out of it by killing you, you've got to watch your back.
>>
File: Bob Ross GURPS.png (552 KB, 500x646) Image search: [Google]
Bob Ross GURPS.png
552 KB, 500x646
>>47478749

I love it when we get fresh memes
>>
I love Sorcery!
>>
I've got a small question for help/advice.

We are going to play low-power supers campaign soon (incoming Wednesday) and I'm stuck with character making, as always when GURPS meet supernatural stuff.
We've got 375 points, 75 of those in disadvantages. I was planning to play as someone with telekinesis, but thing is:
- there is too much interesting stuff to pick
- I DON'T want to end up with a brawler, even if all supers are brawlers by default
- I don't want this to be mage-type character and the more I read into it, the more it goes into "it's a mage by anything but name" territory thanks to possible feats
- I don't want to go into Chronicle territory either, where telekinesis was like a multitool, but that's the only real alternative for avoiding being just a wizard

ANY help will do, just like sugestions how to organise feats to somehow avoid problems mentioned above. So far I'm treating Chronicle territory as the lesser evil, but that's not a solution.
>>
>>47485673
Wait, what? I'm having trouble understanding your post. You want to use TK, but can't think of a way to use it?

You don't want to just punch/grapple with TK, and you don't want to use TK to do other utility things (which I guess is what you mean by "mage-type" or "multitool"), so what DO you want to use it for?
>>
>>47485740
Ok, let's elaborate.
I have numerous ideas to use TK. I don't want to use it to punch/grapple things, that's for sure. And I am aiming for utility stuff.
Thing is - it's suppose to be low-power campaign. And the longer I think about it, the less low power entire TK is, which makes it really hard to decide the extent of the power accessable for the character.

By multitool I mean all kinds of applications for TK. Like using it to fly. Or smash someone's brain by just thinking about it. Or summoning a barrier that just can't be crossed.

So my real issue is where the whole "low power" ends.
>>
>>47485953
Ah okay, now I get it. The Psionic Powers book breaks TK up into a set of smaller powers that need to be bought individually; it sounds like you want something similar to the book's TK Grab. If that's the case, add Cannot Affect Self (-20%) and Cannot Punch (-20%). What's left is simply picking things up, moving them around, and possibly throwing them; while you can still grapple enemies directly, you can't simply crush their internal organs.

You can also make any ability feel very low power by slapping on the right limitations. Unreliable, Takes Recharge, Takes Extra Time, Preparation Required, Emergencies Only, Costs Fatigue, and a variety of Nuisance Effects can let you make even the strongest power feel street-level.

If all else fails, simply don't take too many levels; instead, invest those points into a wide plethora of mundane skills. Become the teams driver, face man, techie, investigator, and/or gunner AND their TK dude. Be a psychokinetic Batman.
>>
>>47486143
>The Psionic Powers book
Ok, gonna check for it. I didn't even knew there is such thing.

And many thanks for the suggestions, gonna definitely use bunch of them, as they suit the character concept.
>Be a psychokinetic Batman.
That's the last thing I want and I'm actively avoiding it. Batman is simply boring.
>>
>>47485953
Ideas:
>Green lantern style (visible, created objects)
>magneto style(magnetic only/one substance only)
>xavier style (raw tk + MIIIIIND POOOOOWERS)
>poltergeist style (unreliable but independant)
>astray warrior style (summoned mind armor and weapons with weird powers)
>>
>>47487254
>Psionic Powers book
You're mixing 3e with your 4e
The book for 4e is just Powers, and still has good psychic suggestions.
>>
>>47487317

Nope, there's a 4e Psionic Powers book too. It has pre-constructed psionic abilities that come in levels, as well as advice for making your own.
>>
>>47487317
http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/books/psionicpowers/
>>
>>47485234
I made that edit months ago, It isn't fresh
>>
>>47476479
>>47476712
Also very interested in this
>>
>>47476712
>>47488455
Okay, after scouring through the archives, I think I've found it. Here:

>So working it out point wise it looks something like this.
>Illusion 25
>Independent +40%
>Linked +20%
>Cold Iron dispels -20%
>Ranged +40%
>45 total

>Affliction 10
>Advantage (Delusion (I got hit with a spell)) >+100%
>Malediction +150%
>Linked +10%
>Duration Permanent +150%, Cold Iron Dispels
>51 total

>Combined total 96 points

>So for just under 100 points you have faerie glamour magic that can mimic just about any spell without actually doing squat.
>>
>>47488694
>>Affliction 10
Math is totally wrong there. Affliction 10 is 100 points base.
>>
>>47488717
Anon, I think that's the number of points, not the number of levels
>>
>>47488787
Ah, so affliction 1 [10]
>>
>>47488924
That's what I assume, yes
>>
>>47488694
>Advantage (Delusion (I got hit with a spell))+100%
So is this the DISadvantage affliction? Where the afflicted target suffers the specified issue "delusions:I got hit with a spell" ?
>>
>>47489010
I assume it depends on which spell the illusion is mimicking.
>>
File: 1439255040793.jpg (146 KB, 1000x939) Image search: [Google]
1439255040793.jpg
146 KB, 1000x939
>>47489069
Hmm; that's a pretty huge gray area

I'm a big fan of emanation/area effect sense based (vision) Affliction -> disadvantage: magic-phobia

You looked at me? I hit you with my magic ability? Oh dear, looks like you're NOW UNDER MY FEAR POWER
>Afflicted are now terrified of caster

Which now that I think of it, buying Terror might just be easier
>>
>>47489129
Vision-based terror, maybe?
>>
>>47489129
In the original thread, the guy wanted to do a fireball spell illusion
>>
Anyone have a download link for Gurps Cabal?
>>
>>47488694
>>Independent +40%
What enhancement is this? I can't find it.
>>
>>47490324
I think it's in Powers, and I think it makes it so the illusion operates without you actively concentrating on it.
>>
>>47490324
It's on p. 108 of Powers. After the initial Concentration maneuver to establish the ability, you don't have to *keep* Concentrating to maintain it.
>>
>>47490443
>>47490463
Oh, I see. Thanks
>>
>>
File: 1453029529949.jpg (139 KB, 728x850) Image search: [Google]
1453029529949.jpg
139 KB, 728x850
Woo! SUCCESSFUL SESSION of GrimWyrd!

The party set out on their mission, laden with stuff and things. They make camp in an army outpost/warchtower.

Racial tensiooooons abide, bit of parley with the boss man and things simmer down, but the camp has been beset as of this morning, and the militia is weary.

CUE DYNAMIC ENTRY OF ENT ON FIRE CHASED BY GHOULS (they think, not sure)

Party defends camp, army joins in eventually. Shenanigans ensue. Elf advises saving Ent, gets beset by the things chasing it, volley fire saves her.

Ent is grateful, leaves crypt info for mage's obsessive quest, departs to the spirit realm.

Party discovers the pile of bodies from the mornibg's attack is also full of undead (!). Cliffhanger ending

Lots of fun! More next week!
>>
>>47494037
I am having hard time to understand first halve of your post, but I'm glad tou have fun.
>>
File: 1454236455589.jpg (172 KB, 900x1081) Image search: [Google]
1454236455589.jpg
172 KB, 900x1081
>>47494407
Ah, I shall exposition dump!

The party set out from the new Fort at Glardenfen (the keep they liberated last chapter; shot dragons and wizards. Was fun)

From the fort, they skirted the border of the ruined lands of Gorgoth. Blasted black hills, dead earth, and nothing growing but strange BloodRoot (an odd red plant full of viscous fluid, growing in the wastes). The party rode all day, then made for an army watchtower camp. The militia of the Greyhold Kingdom welcomed them in.

But, all was not well. The militia was on edge, they had fended off an attack that morning that had shaken the men, and while they heaped the bodies, the party gave them the sad news they were just passing through, and would not be their much desired reinforcements.

The camp displayed subtle issues; they shunned the nonhumans of the group, the two dwarves, an elf, and the towering half-beastman. The party went about their business until the Master-at-arms appeared from his tent. Angered as some unrelated issue, he lashed out at the newcomers, and was only assuaged once intimidated and then relenting only to speak to the human alchemist among them.

They spoke at some length, things were improving, and then BAM a howling Ent aflame with green fire, pursued by ravenous undead bursts onto the scene. The unnatural sound of an elemental spirit of wood being hunted by abominations unnerved the soldiers, but the party sprang to action! In the ensuing fight, they distracted the undead from the tree being, killed them all, then extinguished the horrid unnatural fire burning the Ent.

The Ent parleyed with their mage, who eased it's passing to the spirit realms.

Afterward, when prodding at the carrion pile from the first attack on the camp, the prty discovers semi intact zombies! They put them down (discovering their incredible flammability) and the session ended for the day, 5 hours in.
>>
File: drumred.jpg (9 KB, 254x367) Image search: [Google]
drumred.jpg
9 KB, 254x367
>>47494581

We all liked the idea that these zombies are walking red barrels.
>>
Goddammit
We just finished playing
And I want more!
I get none for a week!
Fuck!
>>
>>47495512
Wait what? Your zombies explode? What the fuck?
>>
>>47495513
I'm gming a new game that has gone bi-weekly, and the withdrawal is real. It's pretty close to a beer and pretzels type game, but I have one player that just wants to get to slaying and looting, but another player that's really stretching to make once every two weeks work.
>>
File: 1454286003365.jpg (61 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
1454286003365.jpg
61 KB, 480x480
>>47495642
>>
File: tips fedora ora ora.jpg (31 KB, 367x441) Image search: [Google]
tips fedora ora ora.jpg
31 KB, 367x441
>>47495794
>>
File: 1454633951620.png (87 KB, 406x314) Image search: [Google]
1454633951620.png
87 KB, 406x314
>>47495881
>>
I'm going to play a heavy fantasy game with family. Can I get a pdf of some common monsters?
>>
File: Mailanka Templates.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Mailanka Templates.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>
>>47496030
There should be a bestiary in the OP

Not just house ruling stats as they come up? Seems odd. I don't think I've written a Stat block in years now...
>>
File: The Natural Encyclopedia v2.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
The Natural Encyclopedia v2.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>47496030
>>
>>47496069
I should home brew some rules but I wanted something for a little inspiration
>>
>>47496069
You haven't needed to do that in years because you have had years of experience. It takes at least a year probably before you can do it intuitively.
>>47496067
>>47496094
These two are good, and for official books specifically for fantasy, especially since you say family I am going to assume you mean dungeon crawling fantasy, in which case, Dungeon Fantasy 2, Dungeon Fantasy Monsters 1 and 2, and Dungeon Fantasy Adventure 1 all have some good hack and slash quality bestiaries.

Pyramid 3/77 has a system that attempts to give "objective" difficulty ratings to monsters too if you want a kinda barometer for developing balanced monsters, though it is kind of a tedious framework.
>>
The Animation limitation for Telekinesis states that it only works for inanimate objects. However, would it be gamebreaking to extend this to willing or at unconscious targets? I get not using it to control enemies you're fighting (get Mind Control for that, or regular TK if you want to fling them around), but it doesn't seem too extreme to allow TK (Animation) to affect willing allies or unconscious foes (after all, RAW it would work on their corpse, so why not?).
>>
>>47496778
GURPS Supers contains the following enhancements.

Animate Life-forms: Your TK works as defined for
Animation in GURPS Powers, but you aren’t limited to controlling
inanimate objects. You can take control of a person’s
or animal’s body. This requires a Quick Contest of your telekinetic
ST against the target’s bodily ST. If you win, the
target acts with its natural ST and with your DX; its Move
cannot exceed your margin of victory in the Quick Contest.
+100%.
Animate Life-forms (Partial): This lets you control just one
body part of your target. This is easier than matching your ST
against that of a foe’s entire body; use the part’s hit location
modifier as a bonus to your effective telekinetic ST. See
Independent Body Parts in GURPS Powers for the capabilities
of separate body parts. +20%.
>>
>>47497239
Ah cool, thanks. If it's +100% to attempt a forceful takeover, targeting only the willing or those unable to resist would be, what, +50% at most?
>>
>>47495542
They are filled with extremely flammable green sticky sap. The tactical possibilities are amazing, but goddamn I don't look forward to fighting them in close combat.
>>
>>47467656
>Savestates (100 points/slot)

>You have the ability to "save" and "load" parts of your life like a video game. "Saving" is a one-second maneuver that costs 1 FP. "Loading" does not cost FP, but it requires an IQ roll, which can be at a bonus or a penalty depending on how much time you spent preparing (for specifics, see the preparation time table for the Warp advantage). On a success, you return to your "save point" with the possessions and physical traits you had when you saved (including the 1 FP lost for saving), but the memories and mental traits you had when you loaded. On a failure, you strain your power as nothing happens, and you are at -5 to attempt a load again anytime in the next 10 minutes. On a critical failure, you save instead of loading, overwriting your old savestate!

>You can take more than one level of this advantage, having multiple "slots" that you can load and save from. Normally, you do not automatically return to your old save point if you die. However, if you have at least one level of the Extra Life advantage, that life will be used up as you return to your old savepoint. If you have more than one save slot, you can choose which one to return to.

>Nobody else retains their memories and mental traits after a load, unless they have the Temporal Inertia advantage. Those with the Unique disadvantage will be erased from reality upon loading!

>Special enhancement: "Reliable". Each level of this enhancement gives +1 to the IQ roll to load. +5% per +1, to a maximum of +10.

>Special limitation: "Stunning". You are always mentally stunned after a load. -10%.
>>
Sup /tg/

I've been doing a lot of worldbuilding lately (multi-era science fantasy), and I think I want to use GURPS as the system for my game, due to its highly customizable nature and because fuck, I've always wanted to play GURPS and running it is probably the closest I'm gonna get. What are your recommendations for building other races while still keeping your baseline Humans a viable option?
>>
>>47500020
I've found the opposite to be the issue, acutally - keeping other races a viable option compared to baseline humans. Humans are a 0-point racial template, meaning they're generally the best choice for getting the biggest bang for your buck, points-wise. Racial templates are suboptimal in most cases for characters.
>>
>>47500055
Interesting. I've had a "why the fuck would I pick anything other than human?" thing with my players for a while now in D&D. Which isn't really a problem, but there comes a point where you want to see them branch out, you know?

So what makes a race template at least not too far below if not just as viable as a regular old human? I've got a couple ideas I'm interested in pursuing, but I want to make sure I'm approaching this the right way, if that makes sense
>>
>>47500156
Give the nonhuman races cheap abilities that normal humans can't ever have. Damage Resistance from tough skin, Regrowth, Regeneration or racial Talents would be good choices.
>>
>>47500055
>Racial templates are suboptimal in most cases for characters.
Only if they don't have nifty abilities that humans will never ever get (without some magic/nanomachines shenanigans)
Also, if GM enforce attribute limits, shifted base value can be real advantage in some cases.
>>
>>47500156
Check out Dungeon Fantasy 3 for a whole bunch of decently built racial templates.

Me, personally? I like my racial templates (Of my own creation or other's) to be around 25 points or less, and focus more on physical dis/advantages and attributes. DX, IQ, ST, HT, Per and Will. Flight, natural weapons like claws or talons, night vision, DR, vibration sense, doesn't eat or drink, injury tolerance, etc.

I prefer disadvantages to also be physical (Weakness, vulnerability, cannot speak, lowered attributes, appearance, etc.) or something beyond their control - social stigmas, holdovers from the race that inspired them (bloodlust for demon-born, as an example).

It's also a good idea to have a general theme in mind when making a race. Racial talents are good ways to encourage playing a race, especially if it has skills that aren't typically bundled in talents (combat skills, acrobatics, etc.). Of course, your players might not care about any of that and be a dwarf because they want to be a dwarf, damnit, and by golly-gosh are they gonna be one.
>>
>>47500020
Access to otherwise restricted abilities
-only elves are mages
-only dwarves can buy dark vision
-only orcs can get spines
Etc
Etc
>>
>>47500253
>>47500266
>>47500263
>>47500371
Y'all my niggas. Thanks homies. As soon as I get some stuff built I'll be back
>>
>>47494581
Testment to how good the combat encounters are that I had fun even though I was body-guarding a wizard and when I did get to strike only hit once before dropping my shield.
>>
File: 1443552921636.png (102 KB, 453x443) Image search: [Google]
1443552921636.png
102 KB, 453x443
>critical hits
Amirite?
>>
>>47503969
I'm not a fan of them, but I seem to be in the minority, so they see use in my games.
>>
I should really make some OC awful image macros with which to bump.
>>
>>47508457

Taken a peek through Magic?
>>
File: Varying Degrees of Want.png (390 KB, 646x627) Image search: [Google]
Varying Degrees of Want.png
390 KB, 646x627
>>47508484
Not with that purpose in mind, certainly.
It's certainly an excellent source for a certain calibre of art.
>>
File: feels mage.png (114 KB, 233x228) Image search: [Google]
feels mage.png
114 KB, 233x228
>>47508826
>>
>>47506264
They don't happen very often, but they go a long way to keeping combat from being deterministic. An elite swordsman being in zero danger in a fight isn't great.
>>
>>47510167
Due to the importance of positioning and variety of in-combat options (and not just character options like techniques or weapon skills, but things like grip, aggressiveness, etc.), I don't feel that GURPS combat gets deterministic until you start seeing *huge* levels of disparity, like a lone goblin taking on a veteran DF Knight. Also, because of lack of HP bloat, crits can still change the tide of battle without the added pain of falling prone or flinging your weapon away (or, god forbid, breaking it).
>>
>>47510656
One of my players broke a sword on a critical failure, had to use his judo skills for the first time, and he realized he had a pretty good investment in them, so it went swimmingly.
Also, made fast friends with a blacksmith because of it.

I know it's completely unrelated to your point, but failures seem to be my best character development catalysts/plot development catalysts/plot hooks in the campaigns I run.
>>
>>47511068
Just this last combat, the beefy mclargehuge took on some dudes, went for an extra swing with his shield and critical failed. Near panic set in, until he rolled a 9 and it turned into a loose strap situation.

I like when pants are shat :D
>>
>>47511131
>loose strap situation.
What?
>>
Which is the easiest magic system for a fantasy setting? we don't want to burden ourselves with rules yet, specially not the gm. Sorcery sounds nice but I can't find the pdf.
>>
>>47511666

Sorcery is essentially using normal Advantages - it's simple, but you'd need to do a fair bit of work making the spells.

The easiest would be the default Magic system - GURPS Magic - which is what Dungeon Fantasy uses (though it focuses on the dungeon-delving aspect, so removes certain spells).

About the same level is Psionic Powers. It's essentially magic-ish, and uses Advantages. It'd work pretty well as a magic substitute.
>>
>>47511666
Well, Satan, the full title is Thaumatology: Sorcery, so try looking under that. As for your main question, the default system isn't anything to sneeze at. It's plain-and-simple approach to magic spells (find the spell with the effect you want, learn the spell, then cast the spell) can be a godsend for new DMs as it's the closest to traditional RPG D&D-style magic and doesn't require as many on-the-fly calls as other magic systems. Yes, there are some flaws, but not so many that the system isn't worth your consideration. There are also enough variants on the default system that you can run half a dozen settings with different flavors of that system and have each feel more or less like their own thing.

That being said, Sorcery is fine too, as it works off the same rules as normal ability creation, so neither the GM nor the players will have to learn anything new.
>>
>>47510656
You don't break a weapon very often in GURPS, given you need to roll 3-4 to hit that result.
>>
Is there some supplement for expanding social conflict like in burning wheel duel of wits?
>>
>>47514351
You probably want Social Engineering. I didn't read it, though.
>>
>>47514351
>>47514404
There's also the Duel of Skill, Will, or Wits. Duel of Will was introduced in Martial Arts so PCs can do those intense staredowns, but Pyramid #3/89 expanded the system to cover anything from debate to poetry competitions to formalized kata "duels."

If you want social conflict to eat up a lot of the game time and be a significant if not main focus of the game, go with the rules from Social Engineering. If they're more of a side dish or appetizer to the main course of violence and exploration, then Duel of S/W/W would probably be better as it's faster and less in-depth. To put in another way, L5R and SoIaF should use Social Engineering, D&D should use Duel of S/W/W.
>>
>>47466804
Hey guys, how does the Bless spell works exactly?
The spell states:
"The effect of a blessing is as follows: All the subject’s die rolls are modified
favorably by one point (or more, for a
more powerful blessing)."
So, it does reduce my dice when I roll to do anything? Say I roll 15 in the dices. A 1 point Bless would make me roll 14 instead?
>>
>>47515402
I think it gives +1 to all rolls e.g. if you normally have Broadsword-14, HT 12, and +3 to Reaction rolls, a 1-point blessing lets you attack with Broadsword-15, resist physical afflictions with effective HT 13, and makes everyone react to you at +4. It should also affect damage rolls, going by the wording, so your 1d-1 imp sword stab is now 1d imp, and the 1d+2 sword swing is now 1d+3.

Old school wording, mang, it'll trip you up every time.
>>
File: brofistan online.jpg (24 KB, 470x368) Image search: [Google]
brofistan online.jpg
24 KB, 470x368
>>47515532
Oh. Thanks. I got it now.
>>
>>47514351
The Pyramid Issue on conspiracies has a section devoted on how to bluff as if you were playing a poker game.
>>
>>47511152
Probably had to re-ready his shield or s/o? I ono??
>>
>>47516581
Just had the shield tangleing the off-hand and useless for the rest of the fight. I think he'd have let me ready it as a action, but I didn't have the spare time during the fight.

Used the shield as a shovel after the fight.
>>
File: 448463.jpg (814 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
448463.jpg
814 KB, 1920x1080
Would you allow Signature Gear from high tls in a supers game or make everything paid for in points with suitable gadget limitations?
>>
>>47519200
I'd allow high TL as someone's super-power, but it would need a bunch of work to balance. If they wanted to instead go with gadgets built on points I'd be fine with that too.
>>
>>47509035

Did Michael MacDonald take up the life of a wizard along with a gnarly beard?
>>
>>47466880

>70 points disadvantage

Cripes no. 70 points in disads tends to make really janky characters.

Rather give them 170 points and a 50 points disadvantages limit instead.
>>
>>47521091
50 points always feel too little for me to fit both personal features and social background. Mostly the latter since I like to take enemies and duty along with kinda unconventional patron.
>>
>>47521091
Different anon, but all it takes is some serious flaw and bam, 70 points. It more depends on the setting than anything else, as the fantasy disadvantages tent to net trainload of points without getting even close to crippling a character.
>>
>>47521478
You may want to scale back some of your frequencies then; remember that a self control rating of (15) means that you are known to have that trait ("Don't piss off Bob, he's got a temper") and (12) means its your defining feature that people will hear of before anything else ("That's Bob? I heard about the time he absolutely lost it and tore into someone"), At (9) and (6), you cannot live unassisted. Similarly, high-power Enemies already tend to dominate the campaign, and if you slap on higher frequencies of appearance, you start to make the game revolve around you and your struggles rather than the party's; either drop the frequency, tone down the enemy (e.g. you've got an angry capo after you for -20 rather than the entire mafia for -30), or both.

The above isn't to say you're having badwrongfun, just a bit of advice from an Anon that underestimated how much disadvantages affected not only my own PC but the entire game and the ability for others to have fun; it's really not that enjoyable if you're promised high adventure but spend most of the time dealing with the slaver guild that is hunting down a PC that is also a bad tempered and literally cannot stop swearing oaths to protect a person or group of people. My character's narrative dominated most of the time, which sucked, but if I had toned everything down a tad I'm sure it would have been more fun for more people.
>>
>>47522599
Yeah, that makes sense. Thanks for advice.
>>
How would a run a Dark Souls inspired game?

I'm mostly looking for the you mechanics of dying and losing all your souls and finding yourself back at the bonfire.

I figured I would make the PCs very low point characters save for their dying and respawning at the bonfire advantage.

When killing people, they would be rewarded with money. They could spend the money buying weapons and gears or buying character points from the firekeeper where they then grow more powerful.

If they die, they loose all their money on hand and have to go get it back.
>>
>>47523202
Havens and Hells from the Alternate Dungeons II pyramid issue might be a place to start. It's a world where reincarnation is a fact of life, but dying means you permanently strengthen the demons and killing demons makes you stronger. It also has a built in pantheon conspiracy.
>>
>>47523202
Hey, I'm working on something similar with a friend. First off, the low point budget is definitely neccesary. We're using 50 base and -100 Disad cap. One of the important things to remember is if its tabletop, you don't want to make them grind. That's just not fun when it takes this long. Instead, we're having the enemies have a flat chance of dropping "a titanite", and have some bonus or whatever whenever they reach the next step of titanite (2, then 3, then 4 etc).
>>
>>47523287
>Killing the demons makes you stronger
No more than the normal end-of-session character point awards.

That being said, someone recommended using the "Drinking Souls for Fun and Profit" rules from the vidya article; it's meant to simulate heart drops and other restorables/buffs a'la Legend of Zelda, but I tweaked it a bit to make permanent point gains more common. I can't seem to find it now, however, but it shouldn't be too hard to remake it yourself.
>>
>>47523679
That's in the first Alternate Dungeons issue, I think
>>
>>47515343
Can you share this Pyramid edition?
>>
>>47523837
Check the OP.

>>47523734
I believe you're correct, #3/72.
>>
>>47521478
This, but it depends on the character.

Recently had a demonpacted mage who needed Secret (Demonpact) with Possible Death for 30 pts and 10 pts of social stigma for minority group. That left 10 pts for actual personality traits and what not.
>>
Torture is a weird thing...
if a character has a high will, then they can grin and bear it, but that doesn't mean that the torture is all grins and giggles.
I mean no amount of will can stop someone from actually following through with threats of mutilation if they are the type to use unsavory interrogation techniques.

"Tell me where the resistance hides."
>succeeds will roll
"No."
"Ok, cut off his nose."
>>
>>47524670
Yeah, just like a successful Will check to resist someone baiting you into a fight keeps you form throwing a punch but doesn't stop them from calling you a doublenigger or revealing a legitimate secret.
>>
Kind of silly question, but one of my players asked for it yesterday and I'm still not sure how to answer. The question is - if one of the players wants to start with a companion and that companion being a trained parrot knowing few phrases, should the bird count in any way to the starting amount of point or rather be deducted from funds?
I know how silly this one is, but well... it was asked. And I have no clue how to answer it. I mean I think it should be from funds, after all it's... well, pet, but... uh...
... halp?
>>
>>47526836
Depends on how useful it is. If this parrot is regularly doing recon, filching tiny things, and the like, it's a pretty decent ally, if it is a flavor thing, money is probably fine. I might be mistaken, but I feel like I read somewhere you can take a perk-like ally too if its point value is low enough.
>>
>>47526836

If it's a flying scout/thief/etc. it's a low-point Ally.

If it's a regular parrot that does Fuck All and is bought at a pet store, buy it with money.

If it's a parrot that can occasionally provide a tiny advantage in some obscure situation, and that you're attached to and don't want to lose, it's a 1 point perk, effectively it's "Signature Gear".
>>
>>47526836
Your choice.
A trained parrot that's just a pet would be bought with $
An essential dependant the player bought, stated out as an npc, and invested in keeping? Buy it as points.
>>
>>47521091
>70 points in disads tends to make really janky characters.

Well yeah. It's game of thrones. Most of the time social or political disadvantages are what kill characters, and even ones that survive tend to be deeply fucked up.

>>47522599
>>47521485
>>47521478

I hear that, but if you are going to do a character-driven game where much of the conflict comes from their deep flaws it works.
>>
Hey guys. I'm making a race that isfavorable towards another race in the setting. And vice versa. To represent this I should make it a 1 point perk in both races, or a 0 point feature?
>>
>>47529394
Depends on what "favorable" means. If it's something like "+1 reaction, one race" that's like a racial reputation, that depending on how small the respective races are, it might be a perk. If they are amicable to each other, but not to the point of extending especial favors and courtesy, it's probably a feature.
>>
>>47526986
>>47527047
>>47527062
>If it's a parrot that can occasionally provide a tiny advantage in some obscure situation, and that you're attached to and don't want to lose, it's a 1 point perk, effectively it's "Signature Gear".
I guess I will use this. Thank you all for help
>>
>>47529539
Yeah, it is definetely the later. Thanks, anon.
>>
File: 1511jc.jpg (184 KB, 888x499) Image search: [Google]
1511jc.jpg
184 KB, 888x499
>>
File: kruger-cloak[1].jpg (303 KB, 1276x1920) Image search: [Google]
kruger-cloak[1].jpg
303 KB, 1276x1920
Say it's a TL8 game where you could potentially have 50 pts of Signature Gear from up to TL11.

What character could you build around this? Also, what would you get IRL if you could.
>>
>>47533384
Bit of a problem with that; RAW, for every additional TL, you multiply out cost by 2 before purchase with signature gear.

So a 50000$ gun ×2 ×2 ×2 will cost 400000$
>>
>>47533436
I thought of that. Still, a lot of high TL stuff are fairly inexpensive considering. For example, a civilian cybersuit at TL11 is only 30k which even with an x8 modifier is 240k (24 pts).
>>
>>47533696
Well, sheeeeit

I guess that could be a campaign basis; future people's gift their superscience bulls hit to (comparably) primitive humans and observe results.

Do you think they reset the time line each testing iteration? Or just map all possibLe dimensions within a standard deviation, based on the core variables?
>>
Hey guys. I just finished reading Roadside Picnic and I was wondering what STALKER themed tabletop games there are?
>>
>>47533821
You came to the right place then friend

Check out the OP and download yourself the lite rules; Gurps is a generic ruleset you can use to run 99% of anything. Check it out, and read up on TL8 (current year-ish) as well as the high tech book (for guns galore)

Don't be intimidated. Just get a feel for the way things work.
>>
>>47531935

This scene really reminds me of Stargate SG1 (which you could also do in GURPS)
>>
So.. TL 3.8 game or so, what's the best way to stay alive if you get in a lot of fights with a bunch of weak foes?
>>
>>47537377
DR or fast healing. Active defences aren't as much help if you're outnumbered. Most of the unarmed fighting skills will get you a second Active defence a turn, though.
>>
I'm reading the Basic Set and Lite for the first time and HOLY FUCK the amount of modifiers and tables is unreal.

What and how much of this can you just throw out and make up on the fly as a GM?

Should I look for a more rules lite system?
>>
>>47533821
>Rewatched Tarkovsky's Stalker yesterday, now I'm back on the hype train for my own Stalker GURPS setting.
>>
>>47537464
Ignore the modifiers for a sec.
They're mostly used to make disadvantages and advantages work differently.

You see how they do that, right?
Benefield cost more, drawbacks cost less.

A ton of those are for making innate attacks and afflictions. Like turning "burning attack" into the long range, gaze, armor divisor, extra knock back, Superman laze vision..

Make sense?
>>
>>47537464
The basic idea of Gurps is that once you have the basics, everything is simple. Everything is decided by 3d6 under Skill. Players should know their skills-character sheets help immensely with that. It can still be pertinent to ignore things you don't know that come up and research/explain them later.
>>
>>47537932
The base mechanic simple, yes, and I like that, but it's troublesome tracking all the modifiers for each roll in real time, especially considering all the options like advantages and maneuvers available to characters.
>>
>>47538028
That's why god invented GMs call!
>>
>>47538028
GURPS Action is for more high-flying action; one of the ideas introduces there is Basic Abstract Difficulty. You set the BAD based on how tough the enemy is as a whole (e.g. What resources could this entire street gang/multinational criminal organization/corrupt Central American government bring to bear?) and it acts as a penalties to ALL rolls against the group. If a PC tries to climb the fence, you don't have to add the bonus for having a diamond-grid fence minus the penalty for crossing the barbed wire minus darkness penalties blah blah blah... You just look at your notes and see that these guys are tough enough to warrant a BAD of -3, so the PC takes -3 to his roll.

Also, I can't think of any system that doesn't require some form of on-the-fly calls by the GM, rules heavy OR rules light. That's why GMs exist in the first place.
>>
>>47538304
Yeah, this is the best way for a starting DM to do it, with a mod of 2-3 either way if you think the task should be easier or harder than expected.
>>
>>47538028
The great thing about gurps is you can ignore a bunch of those modifiers for simplicity sake.

Just look at what the pc is trying to do.
Is it possible easy? Why is he rolling?
Is it easy? Just have him roll at +0
Is it hard? Give him a -2
Is it super hard? Roll at -4

Later on, when you're better versed in the game, get more particular with your penalties and bonuses. Believe me, your players will want to minmax a bit, it will progress naturally from them.
>>
>>47537464
>>47539988
I agree with this post.
The point of the modifiers being in the book isn't supposed to be something like a contractual obligation, "you read this page, so you must apply it to the letter constantly and have exactly these modifiers every time," but more like a barometer, "Here's an example easy situation applying aforementioned principles and things about this easy should get a bonus like this, here's an example difficult situation applying aforementioned principles, and things about this difficult should have a penalty of about this much."

For example, I don't memorize the distance penalty table, I just kinda eyeball penalties for distance. Some people like the simplified Gun Fu table, some people love busting out rulers, and I bet some people skip distance penalties altogether, and not one of them is badfun or wrongfun (though, no distance penalties at all would create a new dynamic where lotsa people would be using much more bows and crossbows in my low-tech games.)
>>
>>47538712
I'm also a fan of Dungeon Fantasy's "-1 per adjective," e.g. you roll Climbing to scale a wall and Climbing-3 to scale a slimy, smooth, too-tall wall.
>>
>>47540215
That's genius.
>>
>>47540215
That I'd an amazing guideline and it is forthwith stolen.
>>
File: 1244947679841.jpg (49 KB, 361x266) Image search: [Google]
1244947679841.jpg
49 KB, 361x266
>>
This is my halfling ability. Is this legal? Am I doing it right?
Daredevil (Link: Fearlessness, -10%; Limitation: only when a friend, companion or family member is in peril, -20%) [10]; Fearlessness 10 (Link: Daredevil, -10%; Limitation: only when a friend, companion or family member is in peril, -20%) [14]
>>
>>47542879

Link is a +10%, not a -10%, and it's not applicable to an advantage that's always on.

Other than that, the Limitation looks fine.
>>
>>47542976
So I can't link them both up? I don't want to have both, only when they happen to activate. And when they do, they activate at the same time.
>>
>>47543073
You don't need to link them, as they are both already permanent and passive. Both will come together at the same time the moment the limitation of both reaches its treshold, in your case, when some friend of yours is fucked up, you will automatically become fearless and a daredevil.
>>
>>47542879
They may both have the same limitation, but that does not mean they are linked
>>
File: GURPS Skullcat Biotech.png (953 KB, 514x935) Image search: [Google]
GURPS Skullcat Biotech.png
953 KB, 514x935
Threadly reminder that cats add sex appeal.
>>
>>47546074
It's a furry hat for furries.
>>
>>47546074
When it says "people that like cats" I'm assuming it means for people who REALLY like cats.
>>
I am planning to run my campaign in GURPS, but I have never played GURPS before so I was hoping someone could help me with making sure this is the right system/ what books to use.

Basically, I want the characters to be on a low fantasy world for a good bit of sessions as they travel to the major city to attend the festival where the angels come from the sky and take tribute from the TL~3 or 4 populace. Anyway, they recognize psychic aptitude in the PCs and beam them up to their space ships. Would GURPS be good for this surprise segway from low fantasy to a sci fi environment? I am pretty excited about the idea.
>>
>>47546973
Refer to >>47531935
>>
>>47546973
Yes, one of GURPS's strong points is setting-swapping/mixing shenanigans.

That being said, are you 100% sure your group will like the campaign? Most people I know would be disappointed to say the least when the low-fantasy romp they signed up for and were excited about turned in to sci-fi.
>>
File: aTrannyRevealsXirself.png (385 KB, 633x479) Image search: [Google]
aTrannyRevealsXirself.png
385 KB, 633x479
Does anyone on /tg/ want to play a GURPS quest? I think I could make it work well. I've read most of the BS:Campaigns and How to Be A GURPS GM, as well as the examples on Mook's website. If anything its worth a try because I'm bored and have plenty of free time this summer.

We could use IRC for OOC chat and the usual suptg/twitter/pastebin for the meta & scheduling. We can try it on /qst/ so we don't clutter up /tg/, unless you guys think /qst/ is too full of frogposters to make it worthwhile, then we can just make the quest thread on /tg/ & do the feedback on /gurpsgen/.

I have two campaigns I'm working on; one is set on Pele-3, a TL9 world from the Infinite Worlds setting, which the history can be found in Pyramid Issue 18 and focuses around a young pilot sent to help a survey team look for ayylmao ruins on Titan's moon, Europa. The other is a TL7 Horror setting, taking place in Post WWII China around Harbin right before the Cultural revolution where the population of the nearby city is slowly going mad as murders and other violent crimes are steadily on the rise, some think the nearby complex leftover by the Japanese Biowarfare unit, 731 and the protagonist along with his qt3.14 journalist waifu are hired by a rich Chink to figure out what exactly is going on.

Char generation is mostly done and would just consist of something akin to what is in GURPS Ultra-lite, for example I'll pick a wildcard skill to go with the class and the anons involved in the meta have 5 points to either put into Primary Stats, New Skills or Perks like Charismatic/Wealthy. Advantages &Disadv will be character-centric to advance the story.

If I get enough interest, I could probably be ready in the next couple of days, if not...

...then I'll just play by myself on RPGsolo.com :`-(
>>
>>47547516
>some think the nearby complex leftover by the Japanese Biowarfare unit, 731
Should be

>some think the nearby complex leftover by the Japanese Biowarfare unit, 731, is partly to blame and the protagonist along wit...etc
>>
>>47547516
Sounds like you'd be better off doing a normal campaing, not a play-by-post thing.
>>
>>47547787
That being said, I may be down to play if it were a normal game.
>>
>>47547819
>>47547787
I would also be down to play the sci-fi one.
>>
>>47547516
Just recruit players for roll20. No need to be a gigantic faggot and make a quest
>>
>>47547787
>>47547819
>>47547839
>>47548041
I'm up for the sci-if one too.
>>
>>47547118
It would be an alternate campaign to give the other DM a rest (high fantasy) so hopefully they wont mind a change in pace.
>>
I've heard of The Last Gasp. Where is it? I want to take a look for myself.
>>
>>47548805
The Last Gaps is in Pyramid 44, Alternate GURPS II. Detailed FP loss rules (Penalties every 1/5th of your max FP), and an AP system for combat so it's not five seconds of everyone swinging twelve-pound sticks of steel with no breathers. Evaluate is actually worth something outside of stabbing defenseless sentries in the throat, now.
>>
>>47548041
Good to know.

>>47548126
>>47547839
>>47547819
Alrighteeee, you guys want to just play roll20 then? or on something else? I don't have a mic :(

Just an FYI. Sry.

in the interim you can contact me here for whatever reason or on IRC Rizon server - GURPS channel. Password is: teegee
>>
>>47548895
I also prefer text roleplay. I can't stand mic.
>>
>>47548895
Why would mics matter? Text.only, faggot.
>>
>>47548895
There is no channel on rizon with that name.
>>
>>47549706
What this anon said
>>
>>47548895
>>47548918
>>47549679
I've tried text role play and find the lack of fluidity a major downer. So count this anon out, hope you guys have fun though. :)
>>
>>47548508
Still, having the ayylmaos being a surprise to the CHARACTER does not require them being a surprise to the PLAYER. At the very least, give them a heads up that there's going to be a campaign switch very early on.
>>
>>47548895
Can't you just give us your skype?
>>
>>47548895
There is no such room.
>>
>>47548895
What timezone?
>>
I've had some fun recently since someone dropped the Biomechs article on me. Adapted slightly to Symbiotes for a fantasy setting, but still, beast. Also loving the fact that once you've got the baseline down-Ally, summonable, the control package and doesn't eat or drunk-you have a totally customisable battleform whenever you need it. Currently trying to find out if there's a way to do a psionic Biomech...
>>
File: 1464126494857.jpg (22 KB, 168x145) Image search: [Google]
1464126494857.jpg
22 KB, 168x145
For completely no reason, I need some lewd interpretations of previously innocent disadvantages. Can /gurp/ help me?
>>
>>47554918
>GUERPS
>>
Blog-anon is based
>>
>>47554967
Wrong.
>>
>>47554547
As in its summoned by your mind?
Psionic-10%
Summon able +50%/100% (?)
Check powers for a guideline on how big that should be.
>>
>>47554918
Curious is a no-brainer, Berserk/Stress Atavism in the sheets would be intense, Gregarious = Slut using ERP/doujin logic, Easy to Read for figuring out the tsundere is actually enjoying herself.

And of course, Sense of Duty for taking responsibility for this boner.
>>
>>47471140
Well... Think of it like that: your boss wants to recover it so "evil" guys dont get their hands on it. Turns out your boss is just as much of a douche.
>>
>>47548885
Thank you, it does actually sound really good. Anyone use it yet?
>>
>>47555919
I have. Physical tokens as AP help a lot, since you're constantly gaining and losing them; pick up a $5 box of poker chips. I didn't understand the rules for bonus AP from high skill (mostly I was confused as to when you got them back), so I didn't use them at all.

Also, write out the FP recovery thresholds ahead of times on the character sheet and have them subdivided; it's easier to keep track of three small pools of FP than one pool with variable regen rates.
>>
Heyoh GURPSgen.

Any articles or books that deal with small scale organizations and some trading?

Currently, the PCs of my camapign have been sent to a city and tasked with finding a missing person, but to avoid raising suspecion when they snoop around they've decided to adopt the guise of setting up a trading company.

So some information on ways to stat organizations, or deal a bit with basic financial manipulation ,or a little bit of generalized "abstract" guild-style stuff would be good.

>>47554547
Any chance you could drop that article again?
>>
>>47556231
Boardrooms and Curia is for exactly this purpose. There are a few pyramid issues I think that expand on its concepts, but it alone is about managing organizations from as small as a podunk police force to as big as an intergalactic government (through recursion, I think.)
>>
>>47556266
Fantastic anon, thank you. I'll go try to locate that.
>>
File: 1464062746433.jpg (55 KB, 400x603) Image search: [Google]
1464062746433.jpg
55 KB, 400x603
>>47549706
>>47549679
>>47548918
>>47550981
>>47551504
>>47554521

Okay, sorry for the disjointedness; I really wasn't expecting to play this as a normal campaign yet, so I haven't ironed out all the details. I'm in GMT-8 (PST), but I'm super flexible w/ time now that summer is here.

As far as the IRC channel it should just be "GURPS" w/o the word channel. the full name is "GURPS - Pele 3 :^)", but the channel itself is just #GURPS.

I'm still working out on more encounter and setting details, and which splats exactly I plan on using (Probably Space, Spaceships, UT & a couple of Pyramids).

The Channel is open, and I'm in there ATM if anyone has any questions.

Also I plan on pre-typing setting descriptions and intros for any expository scenes to save time and keep on pace.

I'm going to get on my Roll20 and set things up there, unless the players want to do something else.

Right now I have three slots open; you can send char sheets to:
[email protected]

Also, unless it doesn't work out well with the PC's schedules I would like to run once on Saturday and once on Wednesday at 9am GMT-8(PST) for at least 3-4 hours. But like I said earlier, I'm completely flexible, so come into the IRC channel and tell me what works for you or just email me.

>in b4 post on Game Finder
Yeah I will, but since I had initially planned on seeing if a GURPS-lite quest would garner interest, I'll give the lurkers/posters here first dibs before I put up a post on /gf/.

If everything works out then Prelim session will be on Saturday and First Game session will be Wednesday.
>>
>>47554918
Dependency (Sexual Fluids)
>>
File: 1450442277209.png (57 KB, 205x205) Image search: [Google]
1450442277209.png
57 KB, 205x205
>>47554918
Hermaphramorph (Uncontrollable: when aroused) (mitigator: reverses upon orgasm)

High Pain Tolerance and quirk for Masochism (makes pain penalties apply to lecherousness)

Social Stigma (Valuable Property)

Quirk-level Supernatural Features (heart eyes when aroused)

There are all kinds of deep magical realms with Payload.

Charisma 5 (limitation: people you've had sex with) for the can't get them outta your head thing

Alternatively an Obsession affliction with the medium of sex (penetration modifiers, hue) that makes them yandere for you
>>
>>47557828
>Right now I have three slots open; you can send char sheets to:
>[email protected]
Sorry forgot to add:
Still working on the details as in point advads/disadvds since I'm restructuring the campaign. I'll give an update later today with the details.
>>
>>47557828
And I can't be there at that time. Great.
>>
>>47548895
Is he kill?
>>
Which weapon skill would I take to use a slingshot? Bows?
I don't have a GM to ask, I'm trying to learn the system by making sheets of old characters.
Also, how do I resist the urge to dump all of my points into single stats until it says I'm at MAX for a non-super? I'm sitting around with fearfulness 5 and cowardice (15) as disadvantages, but 20 Will as overcompensation.
>>
>>47558832

>Also, how do I resist the urge to dump all of my points into single stats until it says I'm at MAX for a non-super?

How many points are you giving yourself? GURPS characters need to be mechanically very broad, much more so than in say D&D. You can't get by with two weapon skills, Climbing and Stealth. If your skill list has fewer than ten things in it, you're either new at the game or statting up an animal. Having that many skills bleeds away a lot of points.
>>
>>47558832
>slingshot?
A slingshot doesn't really qualify as a weapon, and doesn't have a weapon skill, trained as a hobby it's probably a DX/A skill, because it's harder to aim than a crossbow. A sling, on the other hand, uses the Sling skill.
>Bows?
Bow.

Normally you'll want Fast-Draw (Ammo) or (Arrow) as well as some other supplementary skills.
>>
>>47559123
>A slingshot doesn't really qualify as a weapon
Tell that to Curthberth Algood
>>
>>47557828
>>47558106
Okay, a little more info:
>Basically all anyone will need to play is GURPS-lite and Pyramid related, to read up on the History of Pele-3, which is the World setting in which this campaign takes place. However, a FYI, this is its own alternate history earth and not part of the Infinite Worlds timeline.

The characters; adventures, scientists and newly minted spacers have just been recruited for an expedition to Europa, a project funded by the Mittleuropean Space Survey Agency with the hopes of discovering alien ruins to help further scientific research.

The recruits who will be part of this preliminary research team are drawn from a pool of highly capable men and women, with only a few selected to go on this highly sensitive mission.

The initial goal will be to establish a Forward Base of Operations for the survey team to go out and collect as much data as possible, and any artifacts if available.

If the Primary Objective is successful then the secondary objective is to secure and artifacts and Ruin location data at the FOB while awaiting reinforcements to arrive and initiate a proper site dig.

>Character Creation Information: 150pts for Stats and Skills only (Gear will be Standard Issue), read the Pyramid Article on Pele-3 and write at least a one paragraph backstory and I will decide on what adv/disadvs are best fit for you char based on that background; the more you write, the better! If you decide to be a Wealthy or High Status Person in your background, you will not be able to access those perks until you are back from the mission. Also if you do not write in any disadvantages for your char's story, I will pick them myself, equivalent in points to the advantages I have chosen for you.

>Sheets can be sent to
>[email protected]
>>
File: 1448716112983.gif (761 KB, 174x176) Image search: [Google]
1448716112983.gif
761 KB, 174x176
>>47558976
I tried starting with 150 points, realized I needed more and went to 200. I have an extra 60 on top of that from disadvantages, but 50 of those disadvantage points are going into the 20 will.
10 STR, 10 DX, 10 IQ, 14 HT (-40), with Base Speed 8 (-40), and Base Move 11 yard/s (-15).
Advantages are Combat Reflexes (-15) and Enhanced Defense: Dodge (-15)
That leaves 85 for skills I think, but I just dumped it all into Running, Acrobatics, and Climbing and now only have 8 points for a weapon of some kind.
I probably wouldn't be having problems if I lowered Will a little bit. How important is Will? I noticed that it doesn't actually help self-control rolls a bit ago.
>>
>>47559388
Will is divorced from self control rolls intentionally (Keeps the point-crocks to a minimum)

Have you bought any actual advantages? Any?
>>
>>47559581
>Have you bought any actual advantages?
I-I have Combat Reflexes and Enhanced Defense.
The character I'm trying to make is just a human, so I didn't look at anything with the little exotic alien head.
>>
>>47559388
Will resists influence and fear, supernatural or otherwise. Will rolls are also called for when pushing yourself further than normal; non-combat use of extra effort comes to mind, as do power stunts and some of the more gritty combat rules.

Also you said you're "making sheets of old characters"; I guess that means you're converting existing characters, so it's worth noting that 14 HT >>>> 14 CON in a D&D-esque system. At HT 14, you can expect to pass your HT rolls to stay conscious for a stupidly long time; it's essentially equivalent to D&D 3.5's Diehard feat.
>>
>>47559633
Good call, but there are does of other abilities in there, under mundane advantages.
>>
I'm wondering how to create something.

I want to make a demon that eats magic. I use Ritual Path Magic - and so I sort of have an inbuilt "energy investment" in any spell that's cast, and a good measure of how long it takes people to gather that energy and so on.

And since I keep track of that and my players do too, an interesting foe would be some sort of beastie that doesn't quite interact with magical forces on the same level as the players. Magic Resistance and high Will, obviously is a given but I wanted something extra.

Damage Resistance (Absorption) has some guidelines on how to do it, but it's not really damage resistance is it? Besides, that only works when attacked. Leech kinda works, it just gets awfully expensive. But what I've got so far is

Leech1 [25] + 2-10 [36] = Leech 10 [61]
+ Steal Other Score (RPM Energy Only) -20%
>Sort of hard to price
+ Malediction 1(+100%), Ranged(+40%) + Heals FP (+30)
- Nuisance (Obvious Lights) -10%, Pact (Thraskerion Beyond the Gates) -30%
--> [128 points]

Which, I don't know, feels like a tremendous hack because "RPM Energy" is not exactly a listed score anywhere. But hey, at least using Power Block someone with this ability can eat some of the energy investment in offensive spells, and given Malediction is once a turn with Concentrate can chew through even heavy wards quickly.

Anyone have any better, less asine ideas?

My other plan was to just give the thing Thaumathology 16, Magery 4 and Path of Magic 16 then continually use [Control Magic] + [Transform Magic] and pretend that was "eating" the spell, but eeeeh.
>>
>>47560798
As long as you know what it's doing, what's the issue with either/or?
>>
Can someone upload 3e Steam-tech to sendspace or something like that? Mega keeps telling me that my bandwidth is exceeded, even when I'm changing IPs.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 46

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.