[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 29
File: pooit__kobold__by_chochi-d6bk3qo.jpg (459 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
pooit__kobold__by_chochi-d6bk3qo.jpg
459 KB, 1024x1024
Kobold Edition
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed) (embed)
Besides Kobolds, what monster races would you like to see get official support as playable races?
>>
Gith.
>>
File: o k a y.gif (983 KB, 500x364) Image search: [Google]
o k a y.gif
983 KB, 500x364
>(embed) (embed)

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b
>>
>>47406748
Goblins, because then I have a small race to play that isn't halflings
>>
File: img[1].png (9 KB, 186x256) Image search: [Google]
img[1].png
9 KB, 186x256
Got to level 2. Any suggestions on spells? Going divination
>>
>>47407488
Blur
Misty Step
Hold Person
Scorching Ray
Blindness
Detect Thoughts
>>
>>47407395
Plane shift zendikar has them and they're pretty good
Lavastep goblin rogue is what I'm currently playing
>>
>>47407595
Level 2 class, not spells. I gain two level 1 spells
>>
>>47407488
You should probably grab detect magic and/or Identify
>>
>>47407488
>>47408069
Also grease
>>
>3.5: A deafened character cannot hear. She takes a –4 penalty on initiative checks, automatically fails Listen checks, and has a 20% chance of spell failure when casting spells with verbal components.
>5e: A deafened creature can't hear and automatically fails any ability check that requires healing.
Even if there were spells that imposed Deafened and didn't give you the fuck away, it'd still be useless.
>>
File: 1463808788644.png (233 KB, 540x518) Image search: [Google]
1463808788644.png
233 KB, 540x518
>Playing a male cleric of Eilistraee
>DM is very roleplay heavy in his games
>Tells me that while some male worshippers of Eilistraee do exist, most have to spend time as a female at some point in their life to understand the power and purpose of Eilistraee's dance
>gives me a weird look

Should I be worried? Is he going to turn my character into a female?
>>
>>47408649
I've never heard this about Eilistraee. You've stepped into a magical realm.
>>
Anyone have the Strahd maps in Png or something? Trove only has PDF and it's a hassle to get those into Roll20.
>>
>>47408723
Mystra did the same thing to Elminster. She said he needed to gain perspective on the balance of magic but I think it was just her fetish.
>>
So how much of 4E lore was retconned? Did all the shit like the Great Rift blowing up and Var the Golden getting drowned "heal", or was it declared to simply never have happened?
>>
>>47408649
>some male worshippers of Eilistraee do exist
>most have to spend time as a female

you're not most worshipers. End of story.
>>
In a previous thread, an anon made a sheet listing all character options for 5e, from all sources, in one place. Such a thing would be very handy, and I'm pretty sure I saved it, but I can't seem to find it. Does anyone ITT have a copy?
>>
>>47406748

Gith, Rogue Modrons, Bariaur, Goblins,
>>
>>47409228
Plane shift zendikar supplement
For goblins
>>
So I will be starting up as a pc "npc" in a homebrew game soon, and my role is a demilich necromancer General and I have to create 15-20 necromancy themed rooms, any suggestions? The only caveat is no spiritual undead. And constructs are allowed
>>
>>47408649
>>47408813
10/10 /d/eities would whoreship devoutly
>>
>>47409331
>constructs are allowed
Flesh golems are nice

It's a shame that older undead, like devourers, don't have official statblocks in 5e though
>>
File: slaanesh approves.png (73 KB, 397x595) Image search: [Google]
slaanesh approves.png
73 KB, 397x595
>>47409354
>/d/eities
>>
>>47409378
The party will be 9 players large, and there will be a beholder general, and a banshee. My theme for my entire thing is a castle, and my main guard is Iron Golemns
>>
What monsters do you wish were in the Monster Manual?

I wish archons were still in, need more variety in celestials.
>>
>>47409443
>and a banshee
I thought you said no spiritual undead
>>
>>47409059
The only reason I'm asking is because it's not in the pastebin
>>
>>47409521
I did, the three "generals" hate each other. One is a banshee who is going to reign over spirits. That's why spiritual undead are off limits for ME
>>
>>47409610
Ah, I see. That makes sense. Truly it's a shame that many of the cooler undead from old editions don't exist in 5e yet, though. Devourers were my fave. Nothing says "disturbing" like a mortal soul in the shape of an effigy spasming inside the ribcage of a giant undead monstrosity.
>>
what are some of the most difficult pre-made dungeons you guys have run? anyone have a link? I'm trying to challenge my players and I'm shit at coming up with my own dungeons
>>
>>47409916
Inb4 kobold trapshit
>>
Anyone know of some nice parts of Forgotten Realms that are relatively desolate and feature swamps? I wanted to run a campaign in Vaasa and Damara but in researching everything I found Salvatore rubbed his Drow stink on literally everything there and there may or may not be residual super-warlocks from 4e kicking around.
>>
So I'm working on the Ravenloft path of corruption for the dullahan and I'm kinda running out of ideas for drawbacks

So far I have

1- Can remove the head, critical hits do no damage but take off the head, which can then be targeted for automatic criticals
2-Can use knock once per long rest, but (?)
3-can use find steed once per long rest (fiend) but is repulsed by gold
4-rictus and scar become more pronounced giving advantage on intimidation but disadvantage on persuasion
5-gains a magical spine-whip (thorn whip cantrip) but creature type is fey as well as humanoid
7-can bond with a jack-o-lantern to see through it but gain vulnerability to silvered weapons
8-can learn a creature's true name 1/day but (?)
9-gain resistance to non-magical weapons but (?)
10- can cast power word kill once a day on a target whose true name you know but if someone else holds your real head they can control you

Help me fill in the blanks /5eg/
>>
File: Character Creation Lists.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Character Creation Lists.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>47409059
>>
>>47410315
2- but cannot rest properly while in man-made dwellings
8-but cannot harm anyone that speaks your true name without overcoming a wisdom save
9-but weakness to cold iron unwrought by man
>>
>>47410252
You know you don't have to place the campaign in "current" time, just set it before the area got drizzed all over
>>
>>47410448
Them there are some good ideas anon
>>
>>47410450
It's worse than getting Drizzed, it was Jarlaxled. He's been fucking around in the region for like a solid century. Any earlier than that and the stuff that makes it attractive (the history of Zhengyi and Castle Perilous) aren't around yet.

I may have to go with 4e's timeline instead because at least the Witch Knights of Telos wouldn't put up with any of that Jarlaxle hooey.
>>
So is there any reason to switch to this from 4e? I gave the book a read in my FLGS (yes I read the whole thing, the manager was too beta to stop me) and I have pretty much concluded this game is garbage compared to 4e. Hit dice are back, vaccine casting is bad, even though 4e spell casting was pretty much objectively simpler and better. They aren't releasing any splats, and feats have been cucked into being trap options. Plus the books are like 200 bucks, while I got my 4e books for 29.99. Total.

So is it worth buying or is it overpriced garbage? Figured this would be a good place to ask.
>>
>>47410763
>beta
>cuck
Is this a bait post or are you serious
>>
>>47410763
>So is there any reason to switch to this from 4e?
Yeah, 5e is actually fun to play.
>>
>>47410840
>4E isn't fun
At least martials are allowed to do neat things.
>>
>>47410763
It's much better than 4e IMO because of things like the removal of all those stupid cards and skill challenges and whatnot, more freeform and les videogamey

But if you like 4e then stick with it, you seem to be set on your opinion so I'm not gonna try to change it. Enjoy what you like, just please don't come here to start edition wars
>>
>>47410763
If you like 4e then 5e doesn't really have a whole lot to offer. 4e has better tactical play, is more rewarding for system mastery, has more character options for customization, and lots of published adventures and settings.

While lost of these draw backs to 5e are simply because it is new and they aren't publishing content anywhere close to the speed they used to, the main benefits of the new system are:
>it is very easy to learn
>gameplay is very quick and less tactical
>almost any kind of character build is competent and there are no real trap options
>decisions are also easier for newer players since there are less choices to be made in building a character

It really is d&d lite, but that doesn't mean its not fun. The best parts of d&d never came from a rule book anyways.
>>
>>47410763
Download the Basic rules (for free), play a Basic game, and see for yourself.

As to your specific complaints:
>Hit dice are back
They're basically like Healing Surges anyway.

>vaccine casting is bad
It's not Vancian anymore. It still has a similarity or two, but it's much better: your spells prepared act like a spells known list, and you cast them spontaneously like a Sorcerer.

> even though 4e spell casting was pretty much objectively simpler and better.
I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt assume that you just don't know what the word "objectively" means. No. It's a matter of taste, which makes it subjective.

> Plus the books are like 200 bucks
Closer to $150, and that's if you don't find a decent deal somewhere (which you definitely did on your 4e books, don't pretend that was retail).

Plus, the Basic set is free, which is more than enough to get you started. Play using Basic for a while, and if the system really doesn't catch you, don't buy the main books and you've lost nothing.
>>
>>47410838
>posting about how 4e is better
>using words like beta and cuck
>following with this >>47410865

What do you think?
Just ignore it and it will go away
>>
>>47410881
This.

As fucking stupid it is to bait with 4e is MMO lel and then complain about power cards when 5e spellcards exist, why the fuck would you come into a 5e thread to troll like that, when you already made up your mind?

Edition wars are over, deal with it.
>>
>>47410763
>>47410922
Whoops, missed one:
>They aren't releasing any splats, and feats have been cucked into being trap options.
They're not releasing big splat books for a very good reason: the massive glut of splats is what ruined editions in the past, so they're taking their time and releasing fewer big books. However, pay attention to the WotC website, they're releasing tons of articles with extra options in there if you want more stuff to play with.

As for feats, again, you're just plain wrong. Several of the feats are incredibly useful, and even the ones that aren't won't ruin your character because 5e is a lot more forgiving in that regard.
>>
>>47410928
That second post isn't him. We don't need someone coming here to talk about 4E to kickstart the martial/caster fight.
>>
File: bait up to 11.jpg (5 KB, 200x202) Image search: [Google]
bait up to 11.jpg
5 KB, 200x202
>>47410763
>So is it worth buying or is it overpriced garbage? Figured this would be a good place to ask.
>>
>the player that flips a coin to decide what his character will do

Should I walk away now?
>>
>>47411179
Is he playing Two Face? If so, be cautious.
Is he not playing Two Face? Run.
>>
>>47411179
>>47411213
He might be playing two-face-ish

This could be great or terrible anon, I would stick around for a couple of sessions
>>
>>47410417
Thanks muchly!
>>
>>47411179
You may want to, but I'd give him one more session before abandoning ship. I could see it working out if he is a good FilePlanet and isn't trying to be edgy or isn't chaotic dickery.
>>
>>47411213
>>47411293

He tried to play as an insane true neutral warlock until the DM changed his alignment to chaotic neutral. He's only done it during combat so far, but it's only a matter of time until he kills an important NPC and gets the party wiped out.
>>
>>47411426
Roleplayer*

Damn auto correct.
>>
whats the best 5E storyline? is tyranny of dragons worth getting? I heard good stuff about the rage of demons
>>
>>47411655
I'm currently running PotA and will run CoS over a summer hiatus when one of the players will be away on vacation

They are both pretty darn awesome, and I hear OotA is also pretty amazing
>>
>>47411795
I thought they are more like seperated encountered adventures for the D&D weekly play event thing like Pathfinder Society stuff. Are they actually good campaigns with rich lore?

I have the core books of 5E and I am planning to use my old 2E lore materials for the campaigns and I am still not sure if its worth to get the adventures or eventhe SCAG for that matter.
>>
>>47411655
I've been loving OotA and I think CoS will be great too, but I also heard you need to give players XP for good role-playing so they don't end up underleveled. You could probably counter this with more encounters if you want but XP for good RP is also a solid method to work with.
>>
Has anyone actually completed CoS yet? My group of 3 is about to head to Castle Ravenloft as a bunch of level 7s and I wonder if we're strong enough for it. My DM makes it sound like it'll kick out asses.
>>
>>47411846
No, they're campaign books, you're thinking of the adventurer's league stuff, some of which is tangentially related but isn't actually part of it

Scag is not worth the money, just pirate the PDF

>>47412044
Milestones are how I do it, way too many little things and easily diplomanced encounters to calculate well

The adventures usually tell you when people should level up
>>
>>47412168
Don't metagame man, you'll enjoy it more
>>
>>47412168
I think Strahd is roughly a CR 10 by himself, and is very similar to a standard caster vampire, but he has lair actions, special legendary actions, and summons other things. Plus I'm sure his castle has plenty of mobs roaming around as well. You may get to him, but killing him will be massive challenge if it is even possible.
>>
File: munstersfamilyportrait.jpg (88 KB, 335x395) Image search: [Google]
munstersfamilyportrait.jpg
88 KB, 335x395
>>47409378
Rules and stats aren't that much different between D&D editions, are they? Can't just lift a monster frmo an earlier monster's handbook, tweak it a little if needed?
>>
>>47412364
Yep. Some versions of D&D were a bit more liberal with hit points (both how many the monsters had and how hard they hit with their attacks), so that's something to be a bit wary of.
>>
>>47407488
Witch Bolt
>>
>>47412236
He's a CR 15. It's in his stat block numbnuts.

>>47412168
Oh it's gonna kill you all, cower before your dread lord and master.
>>
File: magic-09.jpg (2 MB, 3464x2309) Image search: [Google]
magic-09.jpg
2 MB, 3464x2309
Isn't Ice Knife OP af? 1d10+2d6(aoe dmg) seems like a lvl 2-3 spell?
>>
>>47412732
Burning Hands: 3d6 AoE
Dissonant Whispers: 3d6 single-target + control
Thunderwave: 2d8 AoE + knockback
Chromatic Orb: 3d8 single-target + type-change
Ice knife: 1d10 single-target + 2d6 AoE, two chances at whiffing (attack roll and save)

It's fine.
>>
>>47412732
It's definitelyreally good, as far as level 1 damage dealers go, but it suffers from much the same issues as most straight elemental damage spells

One way or another it's available to almost everyone
>>
File: 1461104457806.jpg (1 MB, 1926x2141) Image search: [Google]
1461104457806.jpg
1 MB, 1926x2141
>>47412893
kk. I don't know shit about D&D, I just browsed the druid cantrips and lvl 1s, and almost everything seemed to be "create some mist", "make 1 ration of of food" or somesuch bullshit. Suddenly there's this badass spell, beside the very close range Thunderwave, that just beats the shit out of everything else.
Gonna check out those you posted tho!
>>
>>47412677
Sorry, I haven't read his stat block very thoroughly. I just glanced over it when it first got leaked on to an old 5e thread.
>>
What do you guys think about a barbarian sub class with a fire theme?

Like his blood literally boils and turns him into some kind of flaming warrior.
>>
Is the Matt Mercer Gunslinger archetype balanced at all?
>>
>>47413415
>his blood literally boils
And then he exploded. The end.
>>
>>47408292
I don't think status effects have ever been useful in any RPG ever. At their harshest, they are still miniscule by the time the characters have four or five levels in their belt.
>>
>>47413415
I like it, would be interesting to play a barbarian who's flaming mad

A cold-themed barbarian would be pretty cool too
>>
>>47413484
It's fine. If you're doing a setting with common firearms, though, just go with a battlemaster with a brace of pistols.
>>
>>47413549
>battlemaster' armor is just belts
>every belt has multiple pistols strapped to them
>the pistols have belts on the handles and barrels
>>
>>47413548

Maybe a Barbarian path that's based around the elements? Like having a spirit guide in the totem barbarian, but getting your rage from the plane of fire itself sounds like a cool deal.

Even if it's just a flaming Barbarian, I think the idea has some merit.
>>
>>47413596
Wind Barbarian is fast and can half-fly (like eagle, but less "see forever eagle eyes" shit)
Fire barbarian literally is on fire
Earth barbarian is fucking heavy, made of literal stone/metal, can lift mountains
Water barbarian's dick is a decanter of endless water
>>
>>47413596
Someone tried doing an elemental barbarian and it was pretty shit, anyoe could do a better job, so have at it
>>
>>47413681
A dickanter of endless piss
>>
What's the best archetype for a fighter in a party of a circle of land druid and an arcane trickster rogue?
>>
>>47413797
Whatever you want

What type of fighter are you?
>>
>>47410887
>option anemic=\=easy to learn
Easpecially with all the convoluted/specific rules scattered throughout (i.e. unnamed attacks vs weapon attacks/horse casting/crossbow juggling/jump distance/) added to all the crap DMs don't bother to use (crafting/survival/upkeep) But that's all systems.
>>
>>47410957
>massive splats ruined past editions
Everybody bans core in 3.5
Also my DM is pussy who can't say no, the post.
>>
>>47413033
Oh okay. He's basically a Wizard variant vampire with some legendary actions.
>>
>>47413797
Any will do just fine really. EK gives you access to utility and defense spells, and BM gives you some very handy maneuvers to help give you an edge. Champion will also do fine but they don't really bring anything to the table. Fighters in general are pretty solid this edition.
>>
>>47414031
In a watered down sense, yes he is.
>>
Why are powergamers so blatantly unaware of their own cancer?
>be inexperienced DM with a group of inexperienced players, save for the one veteran
>doing level 10 oneshot
>all are either good or decent RPers
>I've only ever DMd for this autistic bastard
>make the mistake of allowing 4d6 for stat rolls. Tried to make it point buy but powergamer whines incessantly
>I'm pretty sure he cheats on his dice rolls, because all his characters get a minimum of 2 or more 20+ skills and NEVER any in the negative modifiers
>off handedly mention that they're going to start unarmed and unarmored, forcing to players to use improvised weapons and resource management to survive
>lol nope, rolls a Monk with 24 AC at level 10
>blazes through enemies while other players are still scrounging for weapons
>can't even comprehend why I get on his ass for being blatantly OP and advocating point buy when he plays
>completely unwilling to compromise for the sake of the other players
>>
>>47414083
so stop playing with him.
>>
>>47413917
All you really need to understand to play 5e is how to add up dice roll + stat mod + proficiency bonus. Stuff like the precise nature of what is a weapon attack vs and attack with a melee weapon, horse casting and crossbow juggling crap etc. are mostly issues for more experienced players trying to find a mechanical edge from some niche feature. Jump distance is literally just adding some different numbers together also, and the method for how can be found by reading the book.
>>
>>47414083
>lol nope, rolls a Monk with 24 AC at level 10
Unless you gave him Bracers of Armor or a Cloak of Protection or some such, or unless you let him push his ability score past 20, monk Unarmored Defense caps out at 20.
>>
>>47413943
>Also my DM is pussy who can't say no, the post.

It's better for the health of most tables if the DM isn't forced to be the bad guy by banning things.
>>
File: RTFM.jpg (320 KB, 500x572) Image search: [Google]
RTFM.jpg
320 KB, 500x572
>>47414083
Why would you tell them the entire concept of your one-shot? And why would you not have everyone roll dice in front of you? And RTFM.
>>
>>47414083
>>make the mistake of allowing 4d6 for stat rolls

But why.

Kcik him from your table if he's being a disruptive ass.
>>
File: 1455857535531.jpg (33 KB, 500x480) Image search: [Google]
1455857535531.jpg
33 KB, 500x480
Does anyone know a place where I can post a homebrew class to get some in-depth legitimate feedback on it? I'd prefer something a little more detailed than "your class doesn't need to exist, you're a faggot, and it sucks"
>>
>>47414193
/r/UnearthedArcana.
>>
>>47414150
I didn't tell him the concept, I just said something along the lines of "don't bother picking weapons, you'll start off unarmed"
>>
>>47414083

wanna know how i can tell you are an inexperienced dm even without that first line?
>>
>>47414252
Wouldn't you want to pick one anyway, even without the fact that everyone would think about what weapon fits the character/they want for it, even with fighting styles in some cases, and on top of that wouldn't you have them regain their gear later?

Also I hope that's 4d6 drop 1, otherwise this is definitely a fair bit on you. Sure he cheated, but unless you fully trust and love your players, and even then, always have them roll stats before you. If you are the guy that uses 4d6 with max 24 on scores, getting max in at least one score with 2 ASIs isn't that hard, even if he did cheat.
>>
>>47414236
Oh yay, average 1 comment! But yes, that is the best place for it. If it's got good fluff or interesting mechanics though, this is definitely a viable place as well. Reddit has a lot of shit gaining popularity, and some popular homebrewers taking a lot of spotlight, even if their stuff is usually good.
>>
>>47411655
I like the final chapter of HotDQ & Rise of Tiamat fine, but most of HotDQ sucks so bad.
>>
>>47410763

I prefer 4e to 5e, but you are a such big salty faggot that I don't want to share an edition with you anymore.
I'm converting to Gamma World 7e.
>>
>>47414083

You know you drop the lowest die on that right?
It's not the result of all four d6s, and also-
>not making the players roll stats in front of you
Why would ANYONE do this?
>>
>>47414236
They've actually got some good resources here, thanks a lot!
>>
>>47412998
its damage is higher, but theres two rolls involved so theoretically even boring ole magic missile could easily outdamage it, despite being the "lowest" damage on that list
>>
What the fuck is up with DMs earning GP, XP, and downtime days for running Adventurer's League modules?
>>
>>47415902
It's how WotC encourages people to DM.

If you've sat through even a single AL session, you have at least an inkling of why they have to incentivize/bribe DMs into showing up.
>>
Is there a website or program I can use to build encounter tables or do I have to do it the old fashioned way?
>>
If I take 5 fighter levels, then 5 Blade Warlock levels and take the Thirsting Blade, how many attacks do I get?
>>
>>47416068
You would get 2 attacks. Multiple sources of extra attacks do not stack unless they specifically say so.

Read the book; don't ask stupid questions.
>>
>>47416068
link to source:
read the god damn book you fucking faggot
>>
>>47415975
I was looking at a 5-10 module that awards 6,200-8,000 XP to players, and the DM only gets 500 XP and 400 gold. That does nothing to keep pace.
>>
File: Spiders.jpg (219 KB, 1896x1000) Image search: [Google]
Spiders.jpg
219 KB, 1896x1000
Hello /5eg/, I'm hoping to get some advice. I'm rather new to Fifth edition, and to dungeon mastery in general, but I have had an idea I've been trying to brew over the last few nights that I'm having a little difficulty over.

I read a news story that talked about a farmstead and a small neighborhood both being covered in thousands on thousands of Spiders after environmental damages forced them to flee wherever they had been normally living, and I started wondering what that would do to a fantasy world, what with having spiders the size of people, and have come up with a rough narrative for a beginner level dungeon for groups levels 1-3, that could hopefully be used as an introductory adventure that would easily be the beginning of a larger campaign.

The story I have so far:
>Out in the northern reaches, Lonne's Hold has fallen silent. None that have left for that normally vigorous logging and mining community have returned, and dark rumors have started to spread regarding strange, many-limbed horrors devouring livestock and threatening townsfolk in the surrounding countryside. With the local Duke's standing forces stretched thin hunting down the remnants of an Orcish war party that had threatened the lands, he has instead set a reward for whomever can restore the peace in area, and give a more coherent account of what is wrong in the countryside beyond those rumours.

I've developed a few characters and location ideas for the town itself, but I lack enemies beyond bandits and Spiders. What creatures would be seen in an area that's been swamped with Giant spiders, or that would follow a migration of giant spiders?

Also any ideas regarding ways to improve the hook for the campaign beyond what little I have would be appreciated.
>>
>Intellect Devourers can reduce intelligence to zero

Who thought this was a good idea for a CR2 monster?
>>
>>47416209
The DM's XP and gold is proportional to the tier of the module and has nothing to do with the individual module itself. It's a shitty system yeah but it allows you to make an instant tier 2 character from a new one if you get stuck DMing enough.
>>
>>47413526
You haven't read all the status effects in 5e, have you?
>>
>>47408649
Play a bard! Its what I did. Then pick up favored soul after a few levels of roleplay.
>"Im not a clergy! I have a deep bond with the Goddess' tenets of Kindness and Generousity and cast from it! Also I dance! While playing the ukelele!"
>>
>>47414109
This can be said of any edition, even with thaco involved.
>>
>>47414115
At first I thought they made a mistake and meant to say "roll 4d6 and drop the lowest for stats", but I think he actually meant to say "roll 4d6 for stats".

Which means the That Guy that would have magically showed up with an 18 in Dexterity and Wisdom probably showed up with a 24 in Dexterity and Wisdom instead.
>>
File: Dark Power Checks.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Dark Power Checks.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Hey I made you guys a thing

Dark powers checks for Curse of Strahd and miscellaneous ravenloft funtimes

it's super long
>>
>>47416487
Wow. This is great, anon. I'm gonna use this in my home game for sure. Consider posting it on the DMs guild.
>>
>>47416283
Shadows can reduce Strength to 0 and insta-kill if they do so. CR 1/2, IIRC.
>>
jesus. So I'm a first time DM and I'm trying to run Lost Mines by Skype. Even though it comes with presets I let people create their own characters because, ya know, who gives a shit about presets.

one of the players asks if it's ok to use some of the default plot hooks from the starter set. So he sends me the biggest fucking backstory I've ever seen for his elf rogue. It's fucking massive I haven't even read through the whole thing. There are plot hooks fucking everywhere the guy has obviously read the campaign book and inserted key connections to his character in pretty much every area we'll travel to

he even sent me some homebrew monsters to use in one of the sidequests he came up with

How do I tell him he's going too far? He's clearly into it, he wrote a fucking novel for a backstory and I'm the only one who gets to read it. I don't want to be a dick DM but holy shit I'm just trying to run a starter set campaign
>>
>>47416704
Thanks, but it's just a straight copy (and translate) job from the 2e ravenloft rules, with a couple of updates to make it 5e-compatible

I'm really glad you'll get use out of it though, I might update with some more paths of corruption (werewolf, werespider, dullahan, creature from the black lagoon, zombie, lich, etc.)
>>
>>47416776
Just talk to him and tell him to take it easy and that you don't really appreciate him reading the material beforehand, it's frankly pretty rude. Just be calm and nice about it and it should be fine

Personally it pisses me the fuck off when people do it, but even though I want to choke them I keep calm and change a few things and tell them to please not do it again
>>
>>47416850
>don't really appreciate him reading the material beforehand, it's frankly pretty rude.
To be fair, it's entirely possible that he's just run it before.
>>
I'm thinking of running a game set in the 1840's with 5e. However, other than the setting specific tweaks i have planned, I'm having trouble thinking of what other fixes might be needed.

The setting tweaks are how magic works, which will work by having players cast exclusively from scrolls that spend spell slots instead of knowing or preparing spells and changes to the available equipment which is mostly addition of firearms, which will be kept as crossbows with the special loading rule from the DMG for powder and ball revolvers.

Other than that, i was thinking of having strength + dex be everyone's unarmored AC as a way to reduce the importance of armor while still keeping armor class from going too low.

Any thoughts?
>>
File: vuvuzela_blue.png (35 KB, 801x467) Image search: [Google]
vuvuzela_blue.png
35 KB, 801x467
How much sonic damage should this thing do?
>>
>>47417017
Zero on its own, but it would probably be effective as getting people to target you
>>
>>47417017
0.5 Psychic damage.
>>
>>47417007
I'm also running a victorian/ravenloft game as a matter of fact

I just added the DMG pistol and musket and re-fluffed or tweaked the armor people wear

I'm not sure about giving everyone unarmored defense, it steps on barbarian and monk toes
>>
>>47417142
>I'm not sure about giving everyone unarmored defense, it steps on barbarian and monk toes
This is the part where he tells us Barbarian and Monk are banned, as they don't fit in with the aesthetic he's going for.
>>
>>47417142
They get to use stuff other than strength for their AC. And I hate barbarians and monks anyway.
>>
>>47416906
Granted that is a possibility, but if I was playing with someone else DMing and they decided to run an adventure I had already run I would do ny best to act like I havent and avoid metagaming at all costs
>>
File: image.png (98 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
image.png
98 KB, 625x626
>>47410763
>>
>>47417165
>>47417170
Holy crap anon is psychic

Anyway, I guess that's your problem then, I do feel bad for your players but judging by your response your mind is already made up, so cheers
>>
>>47417214
>I do feel bad for your players
Why, monks, barbarians and sorcerers get to use stats other than strength for their AC. And they get to play those classes regardless of my personal feelings for them.
>>
>>47417007

Strength makes no sense for AC.

At the very least make it Intelligence, that makes a lot more sense (and buffs what many consider the most useless stat in the game).
>>
>>47417239
AC is about your ability to negate a blow's damage. Which is why armor adds AC instead of DR. The stronk cowbow or indian no selling a blow is a stable of the setting.
>>
>>47417239
I'm not arguing for strength as unarmed defense, but how would intelligence make any more sense?
>>
>>47416272
As far as non-spider enemies go, it might be neat to have a sect of druids who have welcomed their spider overlords and help them spread their arachnid influence.

>and give a more coherent account of what is wrong in the countryside beyond those rumours
It's hard to come up with more plot hook-ish stuff unless you have an idea of why the spiders showed up.
Maybe there's just some hungry Shelob-esque spider who's fucking people up, maybe an ambitious Warlock has been cutting deals with Lolth or some shit.
>>
>>47417237
Because it's a class feature that you're just giving away for free

The only way this would be fair if you gave them their regular unarmored defense *and* strength on top of that

I do feel bad for your players because this kind of thing tends to be a "tip of the iceberg" kinda issue

Either way it makes no sense to me, armor was worn in victorian era anyway, but you do what makes you happy I guess, this is where I stop being judgemental and just respectfully disagree
>>
How would you balance a class around increasingly potent uses of mind reading, telepathy and telekinesis? Mage Hand at will is a given, but what about "weaker" versions of Mind reading and Telepathy for at will uses? Or mdoerately powerful versions for limited use at all levels?
>>
>>47417433
Look up the mystic (take two) UA, it's pretty okay and it does that I believe
>>
>>47417463
I made a lvl 5 character with it. I didn't see Telekinesis, but I could deal 5d10+normal attack dmg in a single blow 5 times a day.
>>
>>47417403
>The only way this would be fair if you gave them their regular unarmored defense *and* strength on top of that
That would screw over the game's math like no tomorrow. The game is designed under the assumption that characters will have X armor or below at Y level. All this feature does is giving the players an alternate way to reach X armor without relying on equipment that is being de-emphasized due to the setting. Much like the feature on the sorc, monk and barbarian, those and the AC altering spells are just a way for them to have X armor at Y level without wearing armor. In the end, those classes won't suffer. They will still have their X AC derived from Z formula which means they are on track for level Y.

Mechanically, there is nothing unfair about it. The characters are reaching the same number in a different way and the classes who use heavy armor are already the classes who rely on strength. Which means the feature regulates itself for the most part.
>>
>>47406748
Gnolls, Orcs, Kenku, maybe throw in the Bullywug and Duergar.
>>
>>47417543
Mechanically they do have different maximum values, but adding them together with existing unarmed defense definitely fucks with the math and is a bad idea.
It really shouldn't make a very huge difference since it's just a class feature that allows you to ignore mundane equipment. A stingy person might say they should have a sort of "cap" on the extra ability score or lose proficiency with armor in exchange, but it's pretty minor.
>>
>>47417633
My understanding is that max AC goes a bit higher than two ability scores if you factor in magical equipment and a bit lower if you don't.
>>
>>47417776
It's the same as +2 full plate at max, but doesn't require attunement (though basic magic armor doesn't either). Armor doesn't get better than +3 so it's pretty minor.

It's not really a sure thing you'll simply find magic full plate that doesn't require attunement depending on your DM and the style of game though, which is really the biggest benefit of unarmed defense
>>
So I'm running a oneshot/minicampaign where the PCs will be tasked with going partway down the pillar on which the world is built to retrieve some item from down below.

All the things that were rejected during creation are down there. What's some weird shit I could throw at the party to spook them?

So far I have:
>Roughly made tombstones left by the last group to walk this road; most are shattered. Only one has legible writing, and all that remains is the phrase "BUT NOT FORGOTTEN".

>As they travel downwards, a howling wing picks up all around them, but they can't feel any wind.

>Large, deformed humanoids with spotlights for faces: Anything their light shines upon is scoured away.

>The darkness of the journey is suddenly broken when the group reaches a bright, thriving garden within a cave. A masked figure, claiming to be an angel, invites them to talk.

>A dusty mural in the middle of an otherwise unworked stone wall depicts a massive humanoid holding the world high. It is titled "Patient King grasps the Offering". Below that, scratched into the floor at the mural's base, "I AM [bbeg], AND I AM NO OFFERING"
>>
>>47418106
>Large, deformed humanoids with spotlights for faces: Anything their light shines upon is scoured away.
I'm stealing this. Saving it for the day my players have no light sources in a dark place.
>>
>>47418106
>All the things that were rejected during creation are down there
All sorts of wrong creatures, the lower you go, the stranger they are.
>Too many limbs
>Too few limbs
>Large small creatures
>Small large creatures
>Prey hunting predators higher up, they hunt to eat them, keep going and they are hunting to be eaten
>Birds that swim
>Fish that burrow
>Cats that fly
>Dragons that consume fire
>>
>>47417591
>Duergar
isn't that already in scag?

>>47406748
Some kind of undead, or Yuan-ti.

Not strictly Monster race, because I don't know their status as hostile or not in ebberon, but that shifter thing from the Ebberon UA? or changelings?
>>
File: 1414817881339.jpg (29 KB, 213x360) Image search: [Google]
1414817881339.jpg
29 KB, 213x360
>>47410763
>while I got my 4e books for 29.99. Total
where?
I don't think my current LGS has any 4e books, and yet the DM for now is seemingly interested in getting this group to play 4e. might check that out if I can do the same. I got my 5e PHB for like 25 on sale from amazon, a bunch of books for almost the same price sounds awesome.

I think straight up combat is more his style as a DM, anyway. That's what 4e excelled at, right?
>>
So what are some good alteratives to the fighter? Group needs a beatstick and I kind of loathe playing Fighters because they have jack and shit to do outside of combat... Well thats not entirely true. But all the stuff they get in 5e everyone else does and tend to be better at it.
>>
As a Warlock, is there any way to get spells from a different class list? For thematic reasons I really want Moonbeam.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, I'm a recent transplant from Pathfinder.
>>
>>47418830
if you just want something big and to get hit then go for one of the spellcastery melees with most likely heavy armor
tempest and war cleric, and pally, maybe eldritch knight, obviously you get out of combat stuff, and in combat you're still a hp sponge
>>
File: 200_s.gif (25 KB, 247x200) Image search: [Google]
200_s.gif
25 KB, 247x200
>>47416487
>>
File: 1395262025583.jpg (33 KB, 580x437) Image search: [Google]
1395262025583.jpg
33 KB, 580x437
>>47417087
Cumulative on continuous usage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPVlAhK2j2o
>>
>>47418972
Magic Initiate feat?
>>
>>47418972
theres feats that let you learn some spells but i dont think they go up to level 2
multiclassing is VERY easy in 5th, you literally just say "i wanna be this" when you level, so theres always that
if you wanted just moonbeam, lock/druid. if you wanted a melee lock, but just moonbeam, you could always go pally
>>
>>47419150
>multiclassing is VERY easy in 5th, you literally just say "i wanna be this" when you level

Provided you meet the stat requirements.
>>
File: 1421662722276.png (189 KB, 189x383) Image search: [Google]
1421662722276.png
189 KB, 189x383
>>47419240
There is no stat requirement. You can literally be whatever you want. You won't necessarily be good at it, but that won't stop you.
>>
>>47419348
You don't need to read the entire book, but you should at least read the parts you plan to use

There isn't however a stat requirement for actually being a class in the first place, so you could arguably start at something you're shitty with then multiclass out, but that's pretty debatable
>>
>>47419398
that /is/ included somewhere in the page/chapter you just referenced, actually.
You have to be both your starting classes ASM and the one(s) you want to switch into to multiclass.
Which is rather weird, since you could make a pure bard with 10 cha and focus on spells that don't make use of it, but if you wanted to go into barbarian, you'd need to raise your charisma.
>>
>>47419486
>>47419398
Oh, it's actually directly above that table.
I only remember it cause it's come up more than you'd think, including for myself once.
>>
>>47419240
>>47419398
well, i did forget that part, but its not a massively huge one unless its one your dump stats
i more meant, you dont take some retarded xp hit to learn new things
>>
>>47419696
Oh you mean favored class bullshit. Yeah that's long gone, but only the most depraved DMs ever really enforced that
>>
>>47408770
Convert them from PDF, moran
>>
>>47419814
>>47419508
so im wondering how terrible a 2/2/2/2/2/2/2/2/1/1/1/1 would be
>>
>>47416776
Tell him he is a faggot
>>
any idea for a secondary class to pair with eldritch knight that bonds with 2 thrown weapons? or a thrown and another i guess since they can get 2
you can only recall one bonded weapon a turn, so either i need alot of "throw away" non bound weapons, or something that uses bonus actions with an attack (which Knight can do, but only cast cantrips)
only EK would kinda defeat the point of being a full fighter because i could either never really cast spells efficiently, or never multiattack
the only thing i could think of was pally smite, but that wouldn't work because even though they are melee weapons, its a ranged attack
>>
>>47421237
I believe that thrown weapons don't work with sneak attack unless they're also finesse weapons, and you wouldn't be able to benefit from the best paladin or barbarian features. Three or four levels of ranger might be worth it for Hunter's Mark and Horde Breaker or Colossus Slayer, but that's pretty much it. Staying a fighter might be the best option, what with more attacks and more extra feats/ability score increases.
>>
>>47421288
ranger and lock were the only other things i could think of that would help, but i figured i wanted a majority of my levels to be fighter and just a dip for the alt, which somewhat rules out warlock
ranger might work i guess, but like you said its pretty much hunters mark and horde breaker

and you're right, if it was dex thrown that literally limits me to JUST daggers.
though i guess that could let me learn MORE cantrips if i really wanted that route

if he's bound to one or multiple weapons, i see him using a retarded trident, or light hammers/handaxes respectively, so it pretty much is going to be strength whatever i pick
>>
>>47421386
A single level of warlock could be okay. You'd get the ability to cast Hex, plus two extra first-level spell slots that don't obey the usual rules for multiclassing spellcasters.
>>
>>47421439
>>47421386
Also, if you're a bladelock you could have three bound weapons, sort of. But that's only if you want to devote three levels to it.
>>
>>47421457
>>47421439
i actually didnt think much of bladelock for some reason, i figured i would be having to eldritch blast/free throw and be a higher level lock
three levels isnt that bad, and you're right i would get a "third" bound weapon, even if that one isnt real/cant be recalled easily
that kinda sounds what im going with, especially since hex is basically hunters mark, which was most of what made ranger an attractive option
>>
Building rules for a homebrew setting that started as an Eberron conversion before the UA came out this year. It has since turned into a maritime clusterfuck of Pacific Rim folklore, naval exploration, and high-tech arcana, because I get a raging hard-on for this bullshit.

In the interest of giving characters something to do with their Intelligence score besides skill checks and Wizard spells, I'm looking at making rules for automatons, basically as improved familiars with combat abilities. The rules are intended to be loose enough to apply to other settings, though, so you could practically have a giant ape or somesuch in the same way.

The outline I have so far:
- Automata receive an NPC statblock. By default, active automata will themselves only when attacked and take no other actions. They can be given simple commands as an action, which they will follow (on their own initiative) until they complete their orders, drop to 0 HP, or are given new orders.
- Automata can be bonded to via the use of a new spell, which can be cast as a ritual. A player character who knows this spell may cast it themselves; otherwise, they can generally pay the seller of the automaton to perform the Ritual for them. Most Automata have a minimum Intelligence score requirement in order to be bound to a controller.
- Bonding with an automaton allows it to be given new commands at the beginning of its turn. It still acts on its own initiative.
- The controller of a bound automaton can use their reaction (on the automaton's turn) to activate special abilities, listed in the automaton's profile. Example abilities include multiattack, enhanced AC, advantage on one attack, or using the automaton as the origin point of a spell. Activating a a special ability generally requires an intelligence check; if failed, the automaton follows it's most recent orders.

I don't *think* this wrecks the action economy, but I'm playtesting it this weekend. What does /5eg/ think?
>>
File: PF_Arcane_Archer[1].jpg (107 KB, 764x1241) Image search: [Google]
PF_Arcane_Archer[1].jpg
107 KB, 764x1241
What class is best for an arcane archer currently ? A bard ?

>what spells do you want ?

Something that helps ranged attacks or enhances bolts or arrows, is there anything like that currently ?
>>
>>47421681
Valor Bard appears to be the consensus. I've heard lots of people allow pallies to smite with a bow and take the archery fighting style, but I guess that's thematically more divine than arcane.
>>
>>47421681
Look into Middle Finger of Vecna's arcane archer homebrew
>>
>>47419486
>Which is rather weird, since you could make a pure bard with 10 cha and focus on spells that don't make use of it, but if you wanted to go into barbarian, you'd need to raise your charisma.
If literally all you're doing is trying to be a Bard, then you can get by with a subpar stat and make up for it by dedicating your time to learning how to Bard. But if you're trying to split your time between Bard and another class, then you can only spend half as much time learning about Bard stuff, so you need more natural talent to make up for that.
>>
>>47420095
And have 13/13/13/13/12+1r/11+2r for stats.
>>
When making Patrons or deities that your character gains power from, how looked down upon is making your own up? I've got a decent idea on what I'd like my fey patron to be, but I'm worried that most DMs would say it has to be FR canon archfey only.
>>
>>47422805
Most players don't even bother, it's always "Asmodeus!" "Oberon/Titania!" "Cthulhu!"
It would be refreshing to me to actually hear an original concept, like a fiend chainlock whose patron is actually the imp he carries around, or a GOO tomelock who was driven insane by finding an in-universe copy of the 5e player's handbook and struck a bargain with the DM, or a fey bladelock being posessed by his patron, a long-dead eldarin wraith (obvious reference but still great)
>>
>>47422805
How out there is it?

I think a reasonable DM would allow something not officially canon as long as it wasn't weirdly clashy.
>>
>>47422805
Depends on the setting. If it's kitchen sink, it's great, and many settings allow for it (many undefined gods, gods don't give power it's the belief in one that does so it may not exist but you can think it does, etc). But if playing in a specific setting with a certain pantheon then it may not be possible. If you are open to it not being real though, even if power is gained from gods themselves, another god could appreciate your values or a god of trickery thinks it would be fun etc. For patrons though, I think it's much more common to make one up, there's no way any GM has an extensive list of every possible patron.
>>
>>47421992
Normal human, use point buy, you'll have 14, 14, 14, 13, 13, 13.
I'd say put your "2"s into the full casters, paladin, and fighter, for smite and action surge. You get two fighting styles, take defense and dueling, wield a rapier with strength to sneak attack and rage. War domain, fey patron, pact of tome, bladedancer, land circle, and go full gish.

Don't wear armor either
>>
>>47410417
Are the classes etc. in SCAG balanced?
>>
>>47423144
The monk options, arcane domain, and bladedancer are great
Others are trash
>>
>>47423170
Don't be a dolt

>>47423144
They're all great or at least on par with the PHB

Except for the battlerager and the Banneret
>>
>>47423170
> Swashbuckler is trash
> Bladesinger is anything more than boilerplate
Opinion discarded.
>>
>>47423170
>>47423197
>>47423210
Is there even a reason to bladedancer? Everyone was yelling "OP" when it got released, but I haven't heard anything about it since the SCAG release
>>
>>47423225
*bladesinger
>>
>>47423225
I'm enjoying being harder to hit than our GWF fighter.
>>
>>47423225
It's a decent gish, or rather a pretty darn good gish, but not really anything mindblowing
>>
>>47422805
I'm playing a Paladin/Warlock in Curse of Strahd, and had his patron deity be a Great Old One that has the form of a sun, which I thought would be pretty interesting for a Ravenloft game. Since the DM's running with the module I don't think he'll do much with it.
I like to imagine that the GOO reached out to the paladin, who worships the sun as a concept of giving life and good to the people, through the vast reaches of space and commanding him to be a sun unto himself, as the GOO slowly advances towards Ravenloft's sphere to consume it in its fiery aura.
>>
>>47423225
>>47423234
It's another gish option. There's nothing wrong with it, but it's not as fuckawesome as everybody thought it was at first.

It's a wizard that gets some combat efficacy at the expense of spellcasting specialization. That's it.
>>
>>47422894
I ask players who are unsure of who their patron should be if I can pick one for their archetype. The last warlock player went GOO and said yes, so I made his patron an alien lord of ooze from the far realm. The character is actually an ooze inside a warforged but isn't completely aware of it. I won't make that matter mechanically unless the character dies.
>>
>>47421676
My first thought was to limit the complexity of commands based on the owner's intelligence, but it would probably get tedious to count words. Intelligence should be some function of how effectively you can control the automaton, which I guess you're doing with the special abilities. If that's the case, be sure to flavor the special abilities as more complex control.
>>
>>47406748
At least post the one with a fixed back
>>
>all the extra uses for Indomitable and Action Surge come in so late in the class that no Fighter is ever going to get them
>no bonus uses for Second Wind
>even the third attack is so far off the average player will never see it unless starting near there
reeeeeeeeeeeeeee
get your dippy hands off my class
>>
>>47409649
Oh fuck
Do they have strength drain?
I think I remember bumping into one of those and getting fuckin' drained to the point where I was face down the rest of the fight
>>
>>47423506
I run my games from 3 to 20 and consider the levels before 10 to be the boring ones that I want to go through quickly.

People still want to dip a class or two knowing they are giving up on those juicy high level things.
>>
>tfw you tell your friends repeatedly that today is the day of the session, they're all free and able to turn up
>Gets to session time and one guy isn't there
>Isn't there an hour later
>Isn't responding to messages

Fuckin' A.
>>
>>47413943
I'm not talking about the power level, I'm talking about the sheer fucking amount they put out. The game became a huge, bloated mess. There's no point in having splats at all if you can barely use any of them because they're nothing but a massive pile of half-assed thrown-together rules.
>>
>>47423050
Well, yeah, if you want to be more effective, sure. But it's not like being effective was ever going to be an outcome of this anyway.
>>
>>47416272
Why would stuff follow the spiders? If the spiders were being kicked out of their forest or wherever then the party should have to find out why and stop the source so the spiders can safely return their home
>>
>>47423438
That's excellent anon
>>
>>47416272
How about normal carrion animals, anything that might lurk along behind a massive army of monsters that leave behind tons of dead things. Plus, you could eventually have them start mutating and taking on spider-like appearances and abilities as they're tainted by the traces of giant spider venom left behind in the carrion they're feeding on.

See how freaked out your players get the first time they're swarmed by a murder of spider-crows.
>>
So is the DMG a must have for a DM or can I just use the PHB & MM?
>>
How can I convince my players to open up a portal ?

I'm pretty sure as players they're all terrified of opening portals.
>>
>>47424073
>one guy
Try three out of 4. I'm seriously considering running a one on one at this rate.
>>
>>47424884
The advice is mostly recycled so if you're experienced and confident then you should be fine with that. It still has tables, edition/game-specific advice like for encounter building and such though. It's probably the one you need least at the table so having only the pdf isn't that negative.

>>47424931
Make them unaware that it will open a portal. Or just say there's loot on the other side.
>>
>>47425056
Holy crap this, players will do anything for loot
>open random door in a dungeon at level 5
>there is an archlich in the room
>he is not hostile, and will even pay for the players to run errands
>they see the room is packed with rare magic items
>they attack the archlich
>at level 5

Holy shit, I didn't know whether to laugh or cry
>>
did anyone run the tyranny of dragons stuff? how is it? are the 5e adventures worth getting?
>>
>>47426052
Do you ask this question every single day? Is >47411655 you? Why do you keep asking this despite getting a hundred thousand answers?
>>
>>47426086
Maybe we should make an FAQ. For opinions though, because answers that are answered by the book are also answered by google.
>>
>>47426394
I offered to compile a PDF of stuff as an all-in-one OP for /5eg/ months back but no one wanted it.
>>
>>47426444
I mean I don't need it. But what people think of SCAG/EE/UA/classes (tier lists) etc is quite a common question, so maybe for that. For basic questions that are already in the PHB google will lead to an answer every time most likely.
>>
>>47412364
Yes and no. The core stats haven't changed much over the years. Str/dex/con/int/wis/cha. But a lot of special rules that used to exist are now gone, while 5e has simplified others to the point that trying to use older special rules would just not work. Poison works completely different now, as do saving throws.
>>
>>47412893
Dissonant Whispers has won my party a LOT of fights. It's why my warlock is the Captain, despite nobody really trusting her.

>>47412998
Well, there's a huge gap between 'Cantrip' and 'First Level Spell'. Cantrips are things that any cast can use indefinitely every round and never run out. Spell Slots are a very precious resource in this edition.
>>
Why do players feel the need to play special snowflake races? I have one friend who's currently playing a dragon born and wanted to play as a half human half Medusa in our other friend's campaign and says he plans on playing a Minotaur in the next campaign. I have another friend who's currently playing a deep gnome and is negotiating with the DM to let him play as a Sahuagin in the next campaign. What's wrong with just playing as elves, dwarves and humans?
>>
>>47426595
do what I do, ban the snowflake races.
>>
>>47426595
>>47426608
>Stop liking what I don't like.
But, hey. Its your game.
>>
>>47426608
I mentioned that in my next campaign I'll have a list of approved races to play as and even said I'd throw in monster races like kobolds or skeletons but the dragon born player called me a faggot and said I should let people play whatever they want.
>>
>>47426394
Wouldn't work. It'd either be biased or have so much shit in it that most people wouldn't bother reading it anyway and end up asking anyway.
>>
>>47426595
What's wrong with minotaurs?
>>
>>47426595
Being a special snowflake player is much worse than just picking uncommon races. Wanting to play something that's not playable is a bit awkward, but as long as they don't act like attention whory traumatized emos then I don't give a shit what race you are. I like playing different races, because they are different than humans and it's a fucking fantasy game. Playing elves or dwarves can be cool for sure, but playing elves as slightly prettier humans, and dwarves as slightly more masculine and rude humans, makes it pointless and that's usually the case - very close to humans physically means they're basically a human culture in most settings. Playing a "special snowflake" race means you have to consider what is so different about you etc.
>>
>>47426659
>calling the DM a faggot for running the game he wants

Direct him politely, but firmly, to the door
>>
>>47426707
I don't have a problem with minotaurs it's just that this player isn't satisfied with playing "normal"races and feels like characters are only interesting if they're part of a more obscure race. It's the player that's the problem not the race.
>>
>>47426595
It's a compensation thing.

Lots of newer players don't really know how to make their character special with actions and roleplay, so they resort to unusual races to fill the gap, and then play as they would a human and declare that unusual on its own. Not wrong, per se, but it's like using grout to make a road instead of actual asphalt, it's a temporary, short term fix at best and it has to continue getting revamped to maintain its function. That's why these are also often the players that look in obscure splatbooks to make their characters special as time goes on.

My 2 cents.
>>
>>47426800
Why don't you run a setting where every race is incredibly common? Or do you mean obscure as in most other players don't use them?
>>
>>47426659
I think if you have a problem with a race mechanically, or if it doesn't fit the setting, then it makes perfect sense (there are no tieflings in mine for example). Also if they are in the setting but are obscure/rare/whatever so they're not playable. But if it's literally just kitchen sink fantasy/established setting with established races and you ban it just because you furries trigger you or something, you're the problem IMHO.
>>
>>47426883
It's not just obscue in rarity I think, it's mostly it being very different, culturally, physically etc. from humans.
>>
>>47426898
That describes dwarfs and elves as well.
>>
>>47426883
He said anything too close to humans is boring but he still roleplays all his characters as if they were just humans with scales, fur, etc.
>>
>>47426830
I haven't played with a player like this, but it seems like it could get better over time as they get more comfortable RPing and making characters. But if it doesn't seem like it, talking to them about it should be best. Then you can just ask them to make human characters, forcing them to make them interesting for other reasons than race, they realize how to do it, everyone's happy.

I'm probably way too optimistic about this though.
>>
>>47426944
Maybe he likes the other races because of their mechanical differences. A free feat is really boring compared to free Hellish Rebuke, breath weapon, or advantage on various checks.
>>
>>47426052
I'm running Hoard of the Dragon Queen. Despite a few bumps along the way and my lack of experience (first time DM), it's going fine. But I prepare a lot in advance.
>>
>>47426986
He's used his dragonborn's breath weapon maybe 3 times across 15 or do sessions so i don't think that's it.
>>
>>47426953
>it could get better over time as they get more comfortable RPing and making characters

And you are correct, most new players that do this eventually "grow out" of it and get comfortable with stretching the boundaries of races like humans, dwarves, and elves. The players you need to worry about are the ones that have years of tabletop under their belt and still do this sort of stuff. It's even worse if they throw tantrums, but, as a rule, you shouldn't have those players at your table anyway.
>>
>>47427017
>as a rule, you shouldn't have those players at your table anyway.
Yeah I assumed if OP has a player straight out of /tg/ special snowflake horror stories then he wouldn't be complaining about just the racial choices.
>>
>>47426939
Dwarfs and elves are /usually/ just humans of a certain culture, with small physical quirks. Playing to the differences of those two can be really cool, elves living for hundreds of years should always be taken into account, I'm playing an elf soon that doesn't realize others aren't immortal, doesn't need to drink/eat etc. and it should be cool. But playing shallow Gimli and Legolas is not interesting.

Having them as basically human cultures means it's something easy to grasp though, you don't have to think a lot and it encourages players that would play western humans without any special culture to do exactly that, even if it's sort of tricking them. Playing an arabic human is just as different as playing a dwarf I think, so I don't see the point as an experienced player to pick those races just to do something you could do with a human anyway.
>>
>>47426595
It makes the character feel more "unique" and can often give a easier unique visualization over .yet another basic humanoid.

That said, humans, elves, and half-elves are statistically the most common races. It's far more common for a player to choose a human because they want to be an "average joe who's gone adventuring" that /tg/ jerks itself over as if it's something special.
>>
So, would it be overpowered for a race to have the barbarian eagle totem's "see for a mile" ability? I'm working on a homebrew race for my campaign setting at the moment that, without boring you all with the details, literally has the eyes of a bird of prey.

If it's too good, what would be a better alternative? I'm drawing a fucking blank here.
>>
>>47427754
I'd honestly consider that a ribbon.
>>
>>47427754
If anything it's kind of mediocre compared to some racial features on its own. You might want to phrase it in a way where they could possibly benefit from both if for some reason they wanted to take both though (It does seem like the type of race that would be drawn to eagle totem if they're a barbarian without knowing much about them)
>>
>>47426542
>It's why my warlock is the Captain
Warlocks don't get dissonant whispers though.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 29

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.